Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IMG IV invites?
I think IMG list should be separate, as it will support IMGs since we are in different category of applicants altogether. Further, it will be useful for future IMG applicants.
Please update IMG IV invites list. Thanks!

I agree totally, so far none for me. Will keep posted...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone. I am an IMG too and have not yet received any IVs. I will keep you posted when I do get an interview. I agree a separate post for IMG interviews will be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invites for 2014-2015
University of Rochester 7/21
University of Pittsburgh 7/23
Baylor College of Medicine 7/28
University of Hawaii 7/28
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1

Geisinger 8/3 (On Sunday!)

Very excited!! Good luck all.

Reactions: 1 user
^credentials please. Other imgs would like to know if you don't mind sir.

I went through this application process last year and thankfully matched. From what it seem like, the programs are sending out invitations a bit later than last year. Having gone through the stress of waiting for interviews and checking my email 10+ times a day, I can say that most programs do not send out interviews until the middle of August. I still got interviews in late September and even November. The 10 or so programs that have sent out interviews so far are more of an exception then the rule. As for IMG and DO applicants, don't be disappointed even if you haven't gotten an interview from a place that has already sent out invitations. Programs send the first round of invites early and then more often then not send out the second round. Also, when the top applicants have gathered enough interviews, they will commonly cancel some of the ones that conflict with the invitations from other programs they want to go to. In that case "which happens all the times toward the second half of the interview process" the programs will offer up those spots to the rest of the applicant pool. I personally have gotten a lot more interviews starting the 3rd week of August - through the end of September (and even a couple in November).

As far as what the programs consider the most important things. From my experience, the letters of recommendation were most important. Yes research is important for the top 15 - 20 programs in the country, but for most other people as long as there is something in the research section - you will be okay. The programs do not expect you to have done a lot of research as they know that its tough during residency. If they see you had a poster presentation and a couple of abstracts published they will be happy.

Getting back to the letters of recommendations - a lot of Cards attendings know each other as long as they are within a similar geographic area. Because of that, a good letter from someone they know or may know of is a lot more important then anything else in your application. An interview where your interviewer recognizes your letter writer (as long as the letter is good) will definitely put you at the top of the list compared to others. If this interview is then followed up by a phone call from the person who wrote that letter to your interviewer -- you are in a very good position.

Every program has its own screening process since they cant look through every single application. These are usually related to Univ vs. community program, Visa situation, AMG vs. IMG vs. DO and sometimes Step scores. The top programs are probably more likely to screen out most of the applicants except for those from other top programs. However, many programs are happy to interview a much broader applicant pool.

Remember, its still really early - don't give up - good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I went through this application process last year and thankfully matched. From what it seem like, the programs are sending out invitations a bit later than last year. Having gone through the stress of waiting for interviews and checking my email 10+ times a day, I can say that most programs do not send out interviews until the middle of August. I still got interviews in late September and even November. The 10 or so programs that have sent out interviews so far are more of an exception then the rule. As for IMG and DO applicants, don't be disappointed even if you haven't gotten an interview from a place that has already sent out invitations. Programs send the first round of invites early and then more often then not send out the second round. Also, when the top applicants have gathered enough interviews, they will commonly cancel some of the ones that conflict with the invitations from other programs they want to go to. In that case "which happens all the times toward the second half of the interview process" the programs will offer up those spots to the rest of the applicant pool. I personally have gotten a lot more interviews starting the 3rd week of August - through the end of September (and even a couple in November).

As far as what the programs consider the most important things. From my experience, the letters of recommendation were most important. Yes research is important for the top 15 - 20 programs in the country, but for most other people as long as there is something in the research section - you will be okay. The programs do not expect you to have done a lot of research as they know that its tough during residency. If they see you had a poster presentation and a couple of abstracts published they will be happy.

Getting back to the letters of recommendations - a lot of Cards attendings know each other as long as they are within a similar geographic area. Because of that, a good letter from someone they know or may know of is a lot more important then anything else in your application. An interview where your interviewer recognizes your letter writer (as long as the letter is good) will definitely put you at the top of the list compared to others. If this interview is then followed up by a phone call from the person who wrote that letter to your interviewer -- you are in a very good position.

Every program has its own screening process since they cant look through every single application. These are usually related to Univ vs. community program, Visa situation, AMG vs. IMG vs. DO and sometimes Step scores. The top programs are probably more likely to screen out most of the applicants except for those from other top programs. However, many programs are happy to interview a much broader applicant pool.

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful. One question what about USMLE scores ?? Do they relay on it a lot?

I think that only one person out of all the interviews that I went to mentioned it. I guess if there is a huge discrepancy between the score and the rest of the application they may ask but if the scores are reasonable they really dont care. I think some programs set a lower limit to screen applications out but that lower limit is probably between 200 and 220.

Thanks so much for your time!!

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful. One question what about USMLE scores ?? Do they relay on it a lot?

Thank you so much for taking time to share this; this is very encouraging and informative.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks a million for sharing your experience, it was very helpful and encouraging!

Whatever!! There is always the hospitalist job with 6 months off in a year

Absolutely. Happy to help with any other questions you guys may have.

Invites for 2014-2015
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Medical College of Wisconsin - 8/4

Invites for 2014-2015 University of Rochester 7/21
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1

None of IMG has gotten any IVs.

:(???
Dont panic man! All of us are like you and hanging in there. Read the message above from Vova1234.

Repeat posts about IMGs not getting interviews won't help anybody….Cheers!

Yale has not even downloaded application yet??

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5

Adding GWU to the list.

Invites for 2014-2015

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
George Washington University - 8/5

Dear viva1234, thank you for the encouragement. Could u please share your credentials, and number of programs applied and number of invites, which will be helpful for the current applicants. Thank you.

To IMGs, is anyone getting anything? Acknowledgement/rejection..? Anything.. my inbox has been dry since the day i applied, after applying to around 120 programs..

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5
Texas Tech Lubbock - 8/5

Invites for 2014-2015
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5
Texas Tech-Lubbock - 8/5

AMG Invites for 2014-2015
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5
Texas Tech-Lubbock - 8/5

IMG Invites for 2014-2015
None so far?

Please update your invites here so we have a running list for AMG and IMG. IMG as a separate list would be valuable!!

the best news i'm getting is fonts changing to blue.

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5
Texas Tech-Lubbock - 8/5

IMG Invites for 2014-2015
Emory Research Track - 8/6

what do you really do after research treack certification??

Get some research done, try and rack some publications, get to know more people in the field and then reapply and hope for the best:)

Well my interview is for combined research and clinical track which is a 4 year track with 2 year clinical and 2 years research. One becomes a board certified cardiologist at the end and the idea is to become a physician scientist(50-80% research, rest clinical). Best of luck.

Well my interview is for combined research and clinical track which is a 4 year track with 2 year clinical and 2 years research. One becomes a board certified cardiologist at the end and the idea is to become a physician scientist(50-80% research, rest clinical). Best of luck.
Do you mind sharing your credential?

Do you mind sharing your credential?
I am an IMG. 2011 med school grad. Currently in pgy 3 in university program. Good letters. Focused personal statement. 4 research experiences. 1 away elective in a big university. 6 papers and 20 abstracts. I am not comfortable sharing more than this.
Best of luck and I hope you get interviews soon :)

Same here rejection from U of Washington.

same here, love letter from Univ of Washington! I've decided to stay positive.

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength."

Charles Spurgeon

Last edited:
samesies re: UW rejection. IMG, low tier univ program. +research +good scores probably good LORs

sent in application on 8/1 (was on back to back units, blah blah)....not many "blue" applications. i feel an overwhelming sense of doom. warranted? :sorry:

good luck everybody

samesies re: UW rejection. IMG, low tier univ program. +research +good scores probably good LORs

sent in application on 8/1 (was on back to back units, blah blah)....not many "blue" applications. i feel an overwhelming sense of doom. warranted? :sorry:

good luck everybody

Interview: St. Josephs Mercy Oakland Michigan invite 8/5 interview dates Setp 24 Oct 1
I am a Caribbean medical graduate. Keep your heads up.

same here, love letter from Univ of Washington! I've decided to stay positive.

"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength."

Charles Spurgeon
Well said Charles Spurgeon! Thanks for sharing Kardiologia.

UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Yale- 8/5