Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCSF rejection today

Members don't see this ad.

+Providence Hospital MI, and Case Western MetroHealth (heard very good things about this program, only level 1 trauma center in Cleveland, fellows are busy, inner-city hospital, also they get to rotate at CCF for pulm HTN, CF, and lung transplant, on their site it says you spend almost 12 months in research also)

7 interviews so far. Mix of academic powerhouses, mid tier university, and some smaller programs. Bunch of rejections also. Still waiting to hear from some. About to start my interview trail later this month. Nervous as crap. What kind of questions should I be expecting? Have you guys been pubmeding your interviewers and memorizing their profiles or is that too stalkerish...

Interviewed at 5 places now (SLU, Northwestern, Case Western, Iowa, UNMC). 3 more left.
Trying to stay in the midwest. Looking for academic with good clinical. Good teaching.
Nebraska interview review - Not impressed with their program. Even though it's a university program, probably not as good as some community programs

Good - housing is cheap, they give you $5.50 meal money everyday, fellows seem to be smart, good atmosphere, 1 month vacation, has night float, 2/7 nights as moonlighting, expanding ICU teams and fellows (could be a plus or a minus as there will be many changes when we start), has good resources, has EBUS

Bad - only 7-8 months of research, parking lot and hospital not connected, have to pay parking every month, heavy ICU months (15 months), heard staff are not up to date (when I asked about this to one of the fellows, he said some are and some are not which concerns me), no structure in electives, their ICU census is high >25 with 1 fellow in each team. At night, only 1 fellow and 1 resident with 40-50 floor patients and 10 admissions. No stipend.

To someone who is looking for a heavy critical care exposure, you may like the program.

For me who is looking for an academic career with good teaching, I'm not impressed with their program and I sensed some tension between the fellows and staff with their new 'blue ICU team'. I would rather not get in to that mess during my fellowship training. Probably won't rank it.

Hope this helps others with their interviews.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
SLU interview - good program. I liked it.

Good - program director was nice, seems to be involved in teaching, good clinical teaching, a lot of resources, PH and CF available, RHC

Bad - only 8 months of research if you trade your elective with research, when you are at Mercy, no residents so have to write notes (To me, it's a minus)

I would probably rank in the middle of my ROL.

Case Western - Liked it

Good - can go to CCF for some of their rotations, staff seems to care a lot about the fellows education, good atmosphere, home call, 11-12 months of research

Bad - CCF is there

Good Luck to everyone for interview season and match!!

Reactions: 1 user
Program Name: Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech (Roanoke, VA)

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: Cambria; shuttle provided

Interview itinerary: Pre-interview dinner. Interview: 7:15am - 1pm

How many interviewers: 3

How many interviewees: 3

Tour included visits to: Carilion Clinic Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Questions asked: Details about posters/publications/research/med school/ICU and Pul training in current residency program/procedural skills. One interviewer went through my CV in detail including hobbies and languages spoken

happy fellows?: yes

Schedule/procedures:
Primary MICU service:12beds only: residents+

Critical care consult(separate rotation without residents): from cardio/ CTS /hospitalists; range from 6 to 20 pt. PA/NP +

Pulmonary consult: Main hospital or VA. PA and residents +

VA Hospital: pulmonary consult or research only. No night coverage.

Night coverage: home call - Q6-7 days for Carillion Roanoke hospital pulmonary, ICU and critical care consult.

Having one interventional bronch faculty, fellows have numerous opportunities for EBUS, bronch, super-D etc. One of the faculty is really into bedside US so in addition to US training, he's been working on research projects based on it.

Fellows' career paths: This is a very new program starting in 2009 as Pul only and then combined in 2011. So far, graduates went into semi-private/academic places.

research opportunities?: yes, about 7months + use electives for more.

visa sponsored? J1 only

City: Roanoke is in a very hilly part of Virginia. Beautiful mountains and forests around the area with low crime rate and low cost of living but if you want to live in a big city, this may not be for you. Nearest big cities are about 2-3hr drive.

Things I liked about the program: New program with several young faculty very enthusiastic about expanding the program and active in clinical research projects. They have a diverse faculty specializing in Pul Htn, US, IPF, CF, interventional bronch, asthma so you will have a chance to rotate in subspecialty clinics or pair up with a mentor for research.

Things I disliked about the program: Being a new program, it's not well-known and hard to find any information other than what they're telling me. No lung/liver/bone marrow transplant at all. All transplant patients go to UVA or Duke. You can arrange an elective there though.

Rate experience (0-10): 8

Conclusion: A very nice program with opportunities for diverse subspecialties and clinical research projects. Serious contender on my list!

A note about "research months" - you all need to find out if these are protected or not. Can you be pulled to cover? Do you take a lot of extra call because you're on "research". Is it only 12 months *IF* your project is going somewhere????

Lots of places will try and sell you on months of research for you only to find out that it's not really as much time as you thought.

Reactions: 1 users
Wth is it with ILD? Every where I go, the biggest researchers are all ILD ppl or Microbiome or Asthma. What happened to good 'ol PH, COPD, ards?
Will post IV reviews as soon as I get a 24hr period off.

+ USF 9/15 not yet on the list
Also know of a friend who got Drexel

Everyone Please add to the list if you got any new invites or know of collegues/others who received any Iv invites not on the list.

Still haven't heard from (not on the list) ---Miami, UK, MCG/georgia, UT san San Antonio
Is UK Kentucky? They sent out invites pretty early.

+MCG back in mid august, 8/20ish

Last edited:
Ohio State Uni Program now..but no idea if it's rejection or interview as ERAS is down again :(

Yesterday, NY hospital/Queen sent an invitation for CC only as they no longer has Pul/CC combined.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here GL... OSU sent message. Can't get to message section...:mad:

Rejections from Ohio state and Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Massachusetts( I wonder how it landed in my application list and why I applied there?).lol

Cedar Sinai rejection. Today is not a good day

Just found this forum, freaking awesome! Got OSU and Cedar Sinai Rejection too. I kept telling myself to take it easy, since what's gonna happen is gonna happen, what's not gonna happen is not gonna happen. At least I did the best I can on my part.

Quick question about ranking: I am applying for both combined pulm & critical care programs and pulm only programs, when I rank, can I make two separate rank lists or have to choose one? I am more interested in pulm, but was advised that fellows graduated from combined programs are more marketable. So I decided to apply to both.

IV Newark Beth, Rej Virginia commonwealth(i guess restricted wealth now)

Keep hopes up guys!!

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Albert Einstein Montefiore 8/1
Allegheny 9/10
Arizona 8/12
Banner Health, Phoenix 8/27
Baylor houston 8/6
Boston University 7/31
Brigham 8/8
Buffalo 8/19
Brown 8/15
Carilion Clinic (Virginia) 8/7
Case Western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Case Western (Metrohealth) 9/11
Cedars Sinai 9/8
Cleveland Clinic 8/8
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Colorado 8/7
Cook County 8/14
CPMC San Franscisco
Dartmouth 8/28
Duke 8/8
East Carolina 8/6
ETSU 8/8
Einstein phily 8/13
Emory 7/21
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown 7/30
Geisinger 8/21
Henry Ford 8/13
Hopkins 7/24
Indiana 8/6
Iowa 8/26
Kansas 7/31
Lankenau 8/1
Lenox Hill
Loma Linda 8/21
LSU Shreveport 8/15
Loyola 7/31
Maine
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
MCW 8/12
MGH/BI 8/13
Michigan 8/13
Missouri
Mount Sinai/St Lukes 9/5
MUSC 8/12
Newark Beth 9/17 - all october dates
Northwestern 8/26
NSLIJ 9/11
NYP-Columbia 8/4
NYU - 8/10
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Penn State 8/6
Pittsburgh 8/1
Providence Southfireld MI 9/10
Rochester 8/12
Rutgers NJMS 8/19
St Elizabeth Medical 9/4
St. Louis University 8/7, 9/4
South Alabama 8/12
Stanford 8/17, 8/28
SUNY Stonybrook 8/26
SUNY Upstate 8/14, 8/28
Temple
Texas A and M 8/7
Texas Tech 8/25
Thomas Jefferson 8/28
Tufts 08/06
Tulane 8/18
UC Davis 8/20
UCLA 7/29
UCSD 8/5
UCSF 7/28
UCSF Fresno 8/25
UChicago 8/1
UIC - Chicago 8/18
UMinnesota 7/29
UCinn 7/30
UKentucky 8/5
UMass 8/15
UNC 8/5
UPenn 8/5
USC 8/22
Utah 8/13
UTennesse 9/10
UT-Houston 9/9
UTMB ......
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
VCU 8/15
Virginia 8/12
Wake Forrest 8/8
Wash U St.Louis 7/22
Wayne State University/ DMC 8/19
West Virginia 8/13
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS:
Alabama 8/26
Allegheny 9/11
Albert Einstein 8/25
Brigham 8/22
Cook county 9/10
East virginia 9/4
Emory 8/5
Geisinger 8/20
Henry Ford 8/27
John Hopkins 8/27
Mayo 8/25
MUSC (South Carolina) 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
Nebraska 8/21
New York Presbyterian 9/3
Saint Louis University 8/4
SUNY Syracuse 8/20
Tulane 8/20
U Cincinati 8/11
UPenn 7/27
USC 8/25, 9/5
U Washington 8/26
UWisconsin 8/26
U Rochester 9/9
Virginia commonwealth 9/17
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Question about ranking . . . I know that everyone says to rank the program you'd like to go to most first. Are we SURE it's not better to rank your "sure thing" higher as long as you'd be happy at the program?

Quick question about ranking: I am applying for both combined pulm & critical care programs and pulm only programs, when I rank, can I make two separate rank lists or have to choose one? I am more interested in pulm, but was advised that fellows graduated from combined programs are more marketable. So I decided to apply to both.

Like in residency, we will have only one rank list including combined and Pul only in the order you want to match with.

updated list

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Albert Einstein Montefiore 8/1
Allegheny 9/10
Arizona 8/12
Banner Health, Phoenix 8/27
Baylor houston 8/6
Boston University 7/31
Brigham 8/8
Buffalo 8/19
Brown 8/15
Carilion Clinic (Virginia) 8/7
Case Western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Case Western (Metrohealth) 9/11
Cedars Sinai 9/8
Cleveland Clinic 8/8
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Colorado 8/7
Cook County 8/14
Cooper University, NJ 9/11
CPMC San Franscisco
Dartmouth 8/28
Drexel
Duke 8/8
East Carolina 8/6
ETSU 8/8
Einstein phily 8/13
Emory 7/21
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown 7/30
Geisinger 8/21
Henry Ford 8/13
Hopkins 7/24
Indiana 8/6
Iowa 8/26
Kansas 7/31
Lankenau 8/1
Lenox Hill
Loma Linda 8/21
LSU Shreveport 8/15
Loyola 7/31
Maine
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
MCG (Georgia) 8/20
MCW 8/12
MGH/BI 8/13
Michigan 8/13
Missouri
Mount Sinai/St Lukes 9/5
MUSC 8/12
Nebraska (UNMC)
Newark Beth 9/17 - all october dates
Northwestern 8/26
NSLIJ 9/11
NYP-Columbia 8/4
NYU - 8/10
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Penn State 8/6
Pittsburgh 8/1
Providence, Michigan 9/10
Rochester 8/12
Rutgers NJMS 8/19
St Elizabeth Medical 9/4
St. Louis University 8/7, 9/4
South Alabama 8/12
Stanford 8/17, 8/28
SUNY Stonybrook 8/26
SUNY Upstate 8/14, 8/28
Temple
Texas A and M 8/7
Texas Tech 8/25
Thomas Jefferson 8/28
Tufts 08/06
Tulane 8/18
UC Davis 8/20
UCLA 7/29
UCSD 8/5
UCSF 7/28
UCSF Fresno 8/25
UChicago 8/1
UIC - Chicago 8/18
UMinnesota 7/29
UCinn 7/30
UKentucky 8/5
UMass 8/15
UNC 8/5
UPenn 8/5
USC 8/22
USF 9/15
Utah 8/13
UTennessee 9/10
UT-Houston 9/9
UTMB ......
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
VCU 8/15
Virginia 8/12
Wake Forrest 8/8
Wash U St.Louis 7/22
Wayne State University/ DMC 8/19
West Virginia 8/13
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS:
Alabama 8/26
Allegheny 9/11
Albert Einstein 8/25
Baylor Houston 9/11
Brigham 8/22
Cedar Sinai 9/16
Cook county 9/10
Cooper university
East virginia 9/4
Emory 8/5
Geisinger 8/20
Georgetown 9/11
Henry Ford 8/27
John Hopkins 8/27
Mayo 8/25
MUSC (South Carolina) 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
Nebraska 8/21
New York Presbyterian 9/3
OSU 9/16
Saint Louis University 8/4
SUNY Syracuse 8/20
Tulane 8/20
U Cincinati 8/11
UPenn 7/27
USC 8/25, 9/5
U Washington 8/26
UWisconsin 8/26
U Rochester 9/9
Virginia commonwealth 9/17
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Just found this forum, freaking awesome! Got OSU and Cedar Sinai Rejection too. I kept telling myself to take it easy, since what's gonna happen is gonna happen, what's not gonna happen is not gonna happen. At least I did the best I can on my part.

ONE list

Question about ranking . . . I know that everyone says to rank the program you'd like to go to most first. Are we SURE it's not better to rank your "sure thing" higher as long as you'd be happy at the program?

Yes we are SURE. If your sure thing program really has you ranked that high, your spot will be held until you either match somewhere higher on your list, or you end up matching there.

There are no "games" to the system. Rank how you like.

Yes we are SURE. If your sure thing program really has you ranked that high, your spot will be held until you either match somewhere higher on your list, or you end up matching there.

There are no "games" to the system. Rank how you like.

Thank you.

Got univ of maryland rejection. Interview at NY hospital, Queens!
Did Baylor Houston actually send out rejections?
Well, what does it mean if you didnt get an interview and didnt get the rejection either? Does it mean one can be on a wait list n could get an interview still?

Can anyone please give me some insight into the following two programs. I will be going to both interviews. Just wanted some information before my visit.
Winthrop in NY, and University of Arizona. Thanks

Can anyone please give me some insight into the following two programs. I will be going to both interviews. Just wanted some information before my visit.
Winthrop in NY, and University of Arizona. Thanks

Arizona: "What do you think of this nodule with mediastinal lymphadenopathy?"

You: "CANCER!!! OMG!!! This patient needs a bx, STAT!!"

Arizona: "Errrrch! Wrong! Owned!! In your face!! Cocci!!!!" "Hahahahaha!!!!"

Reactions: 4 users
PD (University Program in the North East) told me "What can I do to make you come here?".... I was kind of speechless. Told him I would rank them highly and was honored they felt this way. He told me to call them near the rank order deadline. Do they say this to most of their candidates to ensure they don't have to scramble? I thought fellowships could prematch... and was very tempted to ask them that.

Arizona: "What do you think of this nodule with mediastinal lymphadenopathy?"

You: "CANCER!!! OMG!!! This patient needs a bx, STAT!!"

Arizona: "Errrrch! Wrong! Owned!! In your face!! Cocci!!!!" "Hahahahaha!!!!"

Hahaha bully!

PD (University Program in the North East) told me "What can I do to make you come here?".... I was kind of speechless. Told him I would rank them highly and was honored they felt this way. He told me to call them near the rank order deadline. Do they say this to most of their candidates to ensure they don't have to scramble? I thought fellowships could prematch... and was very tempted to ask them that.
Nicee. Seems like your chance of matching improved significantly. Ill take it you will be ranked top 5 . Give me tips lol.

Joined recently, read through all 16 pages and appreciate the insight given by everyone.
I compared the rejection list with the programs that i have yet to hear from, is it safe to say that programs do not send rejections to everyone? Its already late september, hate to assume, but invite season over? I didnt expect to hear from every program, but still waiting on several programs. Not as confident as i want to be with the number of interviews i have received, so hoping for a few more.
Thanks and good luck everyone.

Last edited:

It's positive but don't get too carried away. Pple have burned for both residency and fellowship. Call them close to the match. But by end of the day rank programs how you like them. And you are right pre match is an option if he she wants to do everything out of his or her power for u to come there. It could be that it's not an institutional policy or it could be that she wants you to rank them high enough

guys besides talking about the fellowship and the match, any idea what is the current average salary for critical care?!

guys besides talking about the fellowship and the match, any idea what is the current average salary for critical care?!

300-350

non-academic

MGMA 2012 data (2013 Report, 1st year out of fellowship)

Critical Care: mean $258,000 std $86,000 median $300,000
Pulmonary/Critical Care: mean $274,000 std $49,000 median $270,000

MGMA 2012 data (2013 Report, 1st year out of fellowship)

Critical Care: mean $258,000 std $86,000 median $300,000
Pulmonary/Critical Care: mean $274,000 std $49,000 median $270,000

Didn't see anything that low anywhere I was interviewing and am making more than that . . . 1st year out of fellowship.