Official 2014-2015 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MGMA 2012 data (2013 Report, 1st year out of fellowship)

Critical Care: mean $258,000 std $86,000 median $300,000
Pulmonary/Critical Care: mean $274,000 std $49,000 median $270,000
Maybe in NY area

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Naive question here but how important is the prestige of a program when it comes to ranking eventually? I happened to stumble on a "hidden gem" of a program in a cool city and the fellows seemed very chill. I think I'd be happy to work there for three years. When it comes to reputation however the program is probably number 5 or 6 among my 10 interviews and there's no lung transplant (not my interest anyway). How should one think?

Jdh any idea what the pay scale is like in academic positions?

Btw, rejection from Baylor Coll of Medicine 3 times in 3 mins! Lol guess I really didn't fit the profile!

Members don't see this ad :)

Btw, rejection from Baylor Coll of Medicine 3 times in 3 mins! Lol guess I really didn't fit the profile!

There's going to be a lot of variance there. But based on my buddy who stuck around to work in our training program.

Much less.

Didn't see anything that low anywhere I was interviewing and am making more than that . . . 1st year out of fellowship.

Maybe in NY area

Just quoting the data from MGMA on their numbers. It's 2012 data (2013 report), and their n is small (13 for critical care, and 14 for pulm/crit). There is certainly regional variability, and being in academia can certainly depress the numbers. During my job search, I've seen a range of numbers - some higher, some lower, than what MGMA quoted. But something to keep in mind, especially when recruiting firms offer "competitive" salaries.

A lot lower compare to PP. Also depends on if you want to be a clinician, a researcher, or both - and how much of your salary is guaranteed vs how much of your salary is from research/training grants.

University of California Irvine double rejection in 3 minutes

anyone have any opinions to share regarding the training at some of the chicago programs (uchicago, rush, loyola, northwestern)?

hi! quick question for those who have experiences in the NYC programs. I have heard that the fellowship can be tough in NYC (long hours and not great ancillary support), but wanted to hear if teh education/ experience has been worth while etc. also anyone know anythign about how much the name of the program matters vs. the prestige of the mentors etc. any advice on lifestyle vs. name of teh program? thanks!

anyone have any opinions to share regarding the training at some of the chicago programs (uchicago, rush, loyola, northwestern)?

It's all fine. UC is probably the more stuffy and "academic" of the programs, will want/expect you to do serious and real research. Rush will be a straight up clinical spot, the same with Loyola, except you can work with one of the gods of ventilators there plus get experience with transplant patients. NWern kind of splits the difference, but their lung tx program is VERY new . . . so that means they will have about a year to work out kinks, and I'd say this is good if you just want exposure, but bad if you are really interested in lung transplant.

Last edited:
It's all fine. UC is probably the more stuffy and "academic" of the programs, will want/expect you to do serious and real research. Rush will be a straight up clinical spot, the same with Loyola, except you can work with one of the gods of ventilators there plus get experience to transplant patients. NWern kind of slips the difference, but their lung tx program is VERY new . . . so that means they will have about a year to work out kinks, and I'd say this is good if you just want exposure, but bad if you are really interested in lung transplant.
Thanks for your input! :happy:

It's an interesting spot. I'm always curious what people think when they come back.

Lots of potential I think, but . . . you'll see.

Thanks, I'll post my interview experience afterwards.

Interview: University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IV Halem Hospital center pure PULM, Cooper rejection pulm cc, Arizona's 5th letter - last decision by Sept 30th

Yes. There is SOAP. Check nrmp website. Plus I know people that did it last year.

What happens if I do not match to a position?
  • Applicants who learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on their Fellowship Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3® system. NRMP policy prohibits the sharing of proprietary Match data and information with individuals not authorized to receive it or from posting Match data and information to any website or non-NRMP-related matching service

Last edited:
Yes. There is SOAP. Check nrmp website. Plus I know people that did it last year.

What happens if I do not match to a position?
  • Applicants who learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on their Fellowship Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3® system. NRMP policy prohibits the sharing of proprietary Match data and information with individuals not authorized to receive it or from posting Match data and information to any website or non-NRMP-related matching service

Thanks. I don't know why I couldn't find it on the NRMP website.

Seems like the coordinators are observing the Jewish Holiday.

5 rejections from Thomas Jefferson in 3 minutes

Same here, 5-6 rejections in 10 minutes from Thomas Jefferson.

They just want you all to know how much they think you really suck.

If you're not taking it personal, you should be. That's the point.

I think I got 9 emails from Jefferson all saying the same thing :) You suck; and we'd rather not waste our time and resources confirming our conclusions.
By the time I got the 6th email I was like: 'I got it' !. LOl..fun times.

8 rejections from Jefferson! A new personal best lol!

people going to CHEST 2014...better book your flights/hotels if you haven't already. Prices pretty steep. Try Southwest first, they're still selling cheap tickets at this point in time. (NO, I do NOT have stocks in Southwest)

Southwest was also the only carrier I was able to find offering non-stop flights to Austin from the Bay Area.

at this point i have more eras message center updates than combined invites and rejection letters. can some of these places make up their minds already?!?!

Updating the list....

INTERVIEWS
Albany
Albert Einstein Montefiore 8/1
Allegheny 9/10
Arizona 8/12
Banner Health, Phoenix 8/27
Baylor houston 8/6
Boston University 7/31
Brigham 8/8
Buffalo 8/19
Brown 8/15
Carilion Clinic (Virginia) 8/7
Case Western/Univ Hospital 7/30
Case Western (Metrohealth) 9/11
Cedars Sinai 9/8
Cleveland Clinic 8/8
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Colorado 8/7
Cook County 8/14
Cooper University, NJ 9/11
CPMC San Franscisco
Dartmouth 8/28
Drexel
Duke 8/8
East Carolina 8/6
ETSU 8/8
Einstein phily 8/13
Emory 7/21
EVMS 7/30
Georgetown 7/30
Geisinger 8/21
Henry Ford 8/13
Hopkins 7/24
Indiana 8/6
Iowa 8/26
Kansas 7/31
Lankenau 8/1
Lenox Hill
Loma Linda 8/21
LSU Shreveport 8/15
Loyola 7/31
Maine
Maryland 7/24
Mayo 8/5
MCG (Georgia) 8/20
MCW 8/12
MGH/BI 8/13
Michigan 8/13
Mount Sinai/St Lukes 9/5
MUSC 8/12
Nebraska (UNMC)
Newark Beth 9/17 - all october dates
NY Hospital Queens 9/19
Northwestern 8/26
NSLIJ 9/11
NYP-Columbia 8/4
NYU - 8/10
Ohio State 7/24
OHSU 7/30
Penn State 8/6
Pittsburgh 8/1
Providence, Michigan 9/10
Rochester 8/12
Rutgers NJMS 8/19, 10/1
St Elizabeth Medical 9/4
St. Louis University 8/7, 9/4
South Alabama 8/12
Stanford 8/17, 8/28
SUNY Downstate 9/26
SUNY Stonybrook 8/26
SUNY Upstate 8/14, 8/28
Temple
Texas A and M 8/7
Texas Tech 8/25
Thomas Jefferson 8/28
Tufts 08/06
Tulane 8/18
UC Davis 8/20
UCLA 7/29
UCSD 8/5
UCSF 7/28
UCSF Fresno 8/25
UChicago 8/1
UIC - Chicago 8/18
U Miami /Jackson Memorial Hospital 9/24
UMinnesota 7/29
UMissouri - Columbia 9/26
UCinn 7/30
UKentucky 8/5
UMass 8/15
UNC 8/5
UPenn 8/5
USC 8/22
USF 9/15
U South Alabama 9/23
Utah 8/13
UTennessee 9/10
UT-Houston 9/9
UTMB ......
UTSW 7/28
UVM 7/28
Vanderbilt 7/23
VCU 8/15
Virginia 8/12
Wake Forrest 8/8, 10/1
Wash U St.Louis 7/22
Wayne State University/ DMC 8/19
West Virginia 8/13
Winthrop
Yale 7/25

REJECTIONS:
Alabama 8/26
Allegheny 9/11
Albert Einstein 8/25
Baylor Houston 9/11, 9/22
Brigham 8/22
Cedar Sinai 9/16
Cook county 9/10
Cooper university NJ 9/24
East virginia 9/4
Emory 8/5
Geisinger 8/20
Georgetown 9/11
Henry Ford 8/27
John Hopkins 8/27
Mayo 8/25
MUSC (South Carolina) 8/5
Montefiore 8/1
Nebraska 8/21
New York Presbyterian 9/3
OSU 9/16
Saint Louis University 8/4
SUNY Syracuse 8/20
Thomas Jefferson 9/25
Tulane 8/20
U Cincinati 8/11
UC Irvine 9/23
U Louisville 10/1
U Maryland 9/19
U North Carolina 9/19
UPenn 7/27
USC 8/25, 9/5
U Washington 8/26
UWisconsin 8/26
U Rochester 9/9
Virginia commonwealth 9/17
Wash U St Louis
Yale 7/28

Last edited:
Program name: SUNY Upstate

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: Crowne Plaza - provides complimentary shuttle to/from airport to hotel, hotel to hospital and hospital to airport after interview

Interview itinerary: 7am-3pm

How many interviewers: 4

How many interviewees: 9

Tour included visits to: Upstate University hospital

Questions asked: Procedures/what program?/an interesting case/about your research/case reports

happy fellows?: I think so

Schedule/procedures:
University hospital: 2 MICU teams, each has one fellow, 2 residents and 1 intern carrying 12-15 pt. These fellows take night coverage for both teams every other night and every other weekend.

Pul consult team at university hospital also covers Crouse hospital Pul service.

Crouse hospital: Pul only and the only hospital with written progress notes / orders, etc. residents +

Community General hospital: Pul + ICU, residents +

VA: Very light ICU + Pul, 1 resident +

TB clinic, multidisplinary TOC clinic, one VA faculty likes to do/train CT-guided transthoracic lung biopsy

They boast 100% passing rate in both pulmonary and critical care in the past few years.

Fellow reassured "no scutwork ".

Fellows' career paths: Many go for private practice. They have a recent grad who went to Harvard for IP and then rejoined Upstate as a faculty.
Research opportunities?: Almost non-existent. Only one month in the third year.

Visa sponsored? Not sure

City: Syracuse has the highest snowfall in North America. Temperature is not that cold but lots of precipitation. Streets are cleaned pretty quickly as they've been dealing with it. Don't be surprised if you encounter a blizzard in May.

Things I liked about the program: Solid clinical training, exposure to interventional bronch. Lots of procedure

Things I disliked about the program: Minimum research but at least, they are honest about it. Fellows and attendings keep saying how busy it is.

Rate experience (0-10): 6

Conclusion: A good clinical program

Hmm...looks like a second round of invites are starting...I just received one from Wake Forest that I'm going to have to pass up on....

Question for all. US IMG, sent out 50 apps, have 7 interviews so far including some from big names. Is it too late to send out another bolus of applications to programs?

Ditto to the second round +Rutgers/njms

It's oct 1st and after their many emails stating "we are reviewing still" from univ of Arizona I didn't hear back by 9/30 so I guess I'm rejected...haha

Question for all. US IMG, sent out 50 apps, have 7 interviews so far including some from big names. Is it too late to send out another bolus of applications to programs?
It's definitely too late to add more applications now.

probably...

What are you worried about? 7 is a good number, most people I know who matched go on between 7-10 interviews. Also being an US IMG you don't seem to have any visa issues I assume. Just be yourself and show them you belong.

Anyone interview at Albert Einstein Montefiore? Can you give any feedback?

alns good luck rubbed on me. IV from Suny downstate