Official 2014 IM Match Results!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted anonymously
School: Low/mid-tier Northeast (NOT top 50)
Step1: 240s
Step 2: 260s / Pass
Clinical: HP 3rd year Medicine and Ob-Gyn, P in Psych, H rest including 4th year AI x 2
Class rank: Middle?
AOA: No
Extras: Research year. Lots of abstracts/pubs/ presentations. Networking at conferences was very important

Interview invites and went: Duke, UAB, UChicago, Cornell, UTSW, UVA, Brown, BU, Mayo Rochester, OSU, Case Western, UPMC,

Rejected: Stanford, UCSF, MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Hopkins, U Penn, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Yale, Northwestern

Matched:
Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine - Clinician Investigator Track (#2)

Advice:
I thought I didn't have a chance at those integrated fellowship tracks since I didnt have a PhD, AND my interviews went horrible. They grilled my research ideas, said flat out NO--they wont work. Yet somehow I matched at my #2.

Don't try to gauge how they will rank you based on your interview experience. I left feeling defeated and ended up matching there. Rank how you like them NO MATTER WHAT. Aim High. Its just a few extra $s.

Networking at conferences and at your home institution are very important. Be yourself and be professional! You never know who is who!

Members don't see this ad.

Posted anonymously
School: Top 25
Step Scores: Step1 240, Step2 250/Pass (Step 2 scores not available until January)
Grades: H in Family, Internal Medicine, IM SubI. HP for the rest

Aways: None
Research: Several pubs prior to med school and a couple during

Red Flags: None

Interview Invites: (applied to nearly 40, offered 20 something, attended 14)
NE: Yale, NYU, Jefferson, BU, Brown
Midwest: Case Western, Rush, Pitt
South: Vanderbilt, UNC, Baylor, Emory, George Washington
West: UC Denver, Kaiser Oakland, UC Irvine, UC Davis, Scripps Green, UC San Diego, USC, CPMC, Cedars-Sinai

Rejects: Basically all the “top 20” not listed above and a few I thought I had a good shot at like OHSU, Mount Sinai, UChicago, Kaiser Socal...

Matched: Scripps Green (my #1)

Advice:

1) I was pleasantly surprised and comforted by the number of residents I met that chose personal fit, geography, family etc. over academic reputation. Don’t be afraid to assert your priorities even if they are not in line with the skewed perspectives represented on SDN…

2) Share your interview experience with your co-applicants! Some of the most useful and candid information I got was from co-applicants talking about their home institution. Just don’t be a douche about it.

3) Go into your interviews ready to lead the conversation. I had several interviews where the faculty simply said, “how can I help you?” and did not ask me a single question.

4) About 1/3 of the PD’s I met specifically asked us not to communicate/send notes unless we had a question. I did hear that post-interview communication CAN become important if you are matching into a particular pathway/track that has very few spots (ie. research pathway, primary care, MPH, etc.).

5) My mental rank list flipped almost completely upside down during interviews. Apply broadly - you do not want to regret missing a program just because you didn’t want to check a box and cough up an extra $20.

Just catching up on some PMs I got while I was out of town. After looking at this though, it would be nice if some of the non-250+/AOA/Matched at Top 10 program crowd would start posting here.

I actually hate the whole stat fest this entire forum has become and would love it if this thread was just:
Matched at University of Wherever which was my #2, super excited!

But do what you will.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at this though, it would be nice if some of the non-250+/AOA/Matched at Top 10 program crowd would start posting here.

- Mid-tier US allo
- 210/214/pass
- research in undergrad, none in med school
- some academic difficulties/red flags
- applied to 50 programs, got 8 ivs (red flags are a b!tch)
- matched at a small university program

Honestly, I didn't think I would match with my history. Long story short, I had a health problem arise and my school performance suffered significantly. Fast forward to today, I'm going to be an MD in 2 months and an intern in 3.

If anyone has red flags and wants to chat, you can PM me.

School: Osteopathic
Step1: 234
Step 2: 250
Clinical: Good enough to graduate!
Class rank: Top 25%
AOA: This means American Osteopathic Association right???
Extras: Lots of non-medical and medical volunteering

Interview invites attended: UNM, UTMB, UTexSA, UTexHouston, BaylorCOM, TexA&M ScottWhite, UTennMemphis, OU, UAMS, LSU-Shreveport, MCG, Cleveland Clinic, Wake Forest

Matched:
Wake Forest!!

Advice:
Osteopathic applicants - if you plan on applying to ACGME accredited residency, take the USMLE.

"In my humble opinion, the importance of factors for obtaining "top" IM interviews goes as follows: Research (if significant, which means you have first author pubs or are MD/PhD)..."

Is MD/PhD still that much of a bonus? I know it used to be basically a free ticket to any residency you want, but I've heard more recently that while it still helps you, it's not as important anymore.

Thanks for posting stats and match results, it's really helpful!

"In my humble opinion, the importance of factors for obtaining "top" IM interviews goes as follows: Research (if significant, which means you have first author pubs or are MD/PhD)..."

Is MD/PhD still that much of a bonus? I know it used to be basically a free ticket to any residency you want, but I've heard more recently that while it still helps you, it's not as important anymore.

personal experience- for medicine, probably not as important as it was in the past. but some of my mstp classmates applying in other fields (pediatrics in particular) were still helped by it. i'd describe it as a nice extracurricular, but probably not as valuable as being AOA. definitely not a free ticket.

good step scores, aoa, honors in im, top 20ish med school. the last is becoming very important.

I will appease gutonc and post, with the added bonus of using his format.

Matched at UNC, which was my number #2. Definitely happy but not unexpected.

I will appease gutonc and post, with the added bonus of using his format.

Matched at UNC, which was my number #2. Definitely happy but not unexpected.
Congratulations! As my home institution, I can tell you it's an awesome place. If I hadn't spent a large majority of my life here, I'd have wanted to stay here for residency. There are some great people from my class staying here as your co-residents, so you have much to look forward to.

School: Top 35
Step Scores: 255/256/pass
Grades: H in everything besides OBGYN
Aways: None
Research: Minimum
AOA: Yes
Red Flags: Couples matched (don't know if it's a red flag...)
Interviews: Yale, NYU, Columbia, Sinai, Cornell, Jefferson, BU, MGH, BIDMC, Case Western, Rush, UIC, Pitt, UofC, NW, Vanderbilt, UNC, JHU BAYVIEW, Georgetown, Michigan, amoung others..... (Attended 25 interviews because of couples match)
Rejects: JHH, penn, duke

Matched: Michigan (my #1!!!) I saw few fellow michigan peeps here. I am so psyched and can't wait to meet you all!

Advice:
- away rotation is not necessary unless you are aiming for top 10 IM programs. That being said I really liked penn prior to the season and wished I had done an away rotation.
- apply broadly for couples match. If you get an interview and your partner didn't, don't be afraid to email the program. We had lots of success using that method this year.

Anyone know of anyone who interviewed and/or matched at MGH, BWH, Penn, UCSF, Columbia or the like without honors in IM (but a strong application otherwise)?

I'll follow suit without the numbers.

Interviews: BCM, NW, UC, Michigan, Duke, JHH, Penn, Vandy, UW (cancelled), WUSTL (cancelled), Mt Sinai (cancelled), Pitt (cancelled), Cornell, Columbia, Yale (cancelled), BIDMC, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, Emory, Colorado (cancelled)

Rejects: MGH, BWH, UCSF

Matched at my #1 (Michigan)!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

At this point, MD/PhD is more or less equivalent to AOA in terms of buffing your app, at least in IM. I had both...turns out I could have saved myself 5 years.

Reactions: 1 users
At this point, MD/PhD is more or less equivalent to AOA in terms of buffing your app, at least in IM. I had both...turns out I could have saved myself 5 years.

How depressing. Especially for those of us at schools where AOA is not particularly objective and has a lot of "extra" fluff that feeds into it - including current classmates who are junior AOA voting for senior AOA members (including their boy/girlfriends, fiance(e)s, or spouses.

How depressing. Especially for those of us at schools where AOA is not particularly objective and has a lot of "extra" fluff that feeds into it - including current classmates who are junior AOA voting for senior AOA members (including their boy/girlfriends, fiance(e)s, or spouses.

that happens? what a load of hogwash

I'll also follow the simpler form without all the numbers.

Interviews: Wash U, Yale, Mayo, Baylor, Emory, UVA, UW-Madison, OHSU, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana, Dartmouth, A&M, couple others.
Rejects: NW, Michigan, UWash, some other bigger names

Matched at Wash U (#1)!! Super excited. Congrats to everyone, it's hard to believe we've made it this far.

Just catching up on some PMs I got while I was out of town. After looking at this though, it would be nice if some of the non-250+/AOA/Matched at Top 10 program crowd would start posting here.

I actually hate the whole stat fest this entire forum has become and would love it if this thread was just:

But do what you will.

Of course everyone is free to do this however they want, but I will say I found the added stats in last year's thread to be helpful. I liked having an idea of which programs I might be competitive at.

By the way, I received an email today that said, "if you had wanted, you would have matched here so please tell us in this survey what we could have done differently to get you." I wasn't expecting that at all. I understand their reasoning for it but I'd have rather never seen that. I'm super excited with my match but I don't love these temporary "what if" thoughts. Anyone get something similar?

Of course everyone is free to do this however they want, but I will say I found the added stats in last year's thread to be helpful. I liked having an idea of which programs I might be competitive at.

By the way, I received an email today that said, "if you had wanted, you would have matched here so please tell us in this survey what we could have done differently to get you." I wasn't expecting that at all. I understand their reasoning for it but I'd have rather never seen that. I'm super excited with my match but I don't love these temporary "what if" thoughts. Anyone get something similar?

Yup. I received a couple of those. I definitely second-guessed my match a little when I saw them, which kind of sucked. Oh well.

Yup. I received a couple of those. I definitely second-guessed my match a little when I saw them, which kind of sucked. Oh well.

Received couple of these as well (from my #2 and #4). Made me second guess a little bit as well since I was having a very difficult time sorting my top 5 (went back and forth few times). Very happy with my match. These programs can stop missing me now and redirect the love to those that match at their program.

But do what you will.

No kidding, even some 270s! :barf:

Matched at my #1, MSSM.

The advice I would give to applicants would be to avoid this forum for advice relating to applications and interviewing. While there are some knowledgable users on here, it really does become a morass of stat-comparing, anxiety, and spurious hearsay advice from medical students - which I of course also took part in. Instead, use your deans of student affairs (or similar) and especially the program director for internal medicine at your institution. If you are an accomplished applicant, they will likely want and try to keep you, but it is also their job to help advise you as to how you can accomplish your goals. The IM PD at my institution was absolutely invaluable in their guidance and nearly clairvoyant in predicting where I would recieve interviews.

Matched at my #1, MSSM.

The advice I would give to applicants would be to avoid this forum for advice relating to applications and interviewing. While there are some knowledgable users on here, it really does become a morass of stat-comparing, anxiety, and spurious hearsay advice from medical students - which I of course also took part in. Instead, use your deans of student affairs (or similar)
This person likely does not know his/her head from his/her ass with respect to residency applications and current competitiveness of this (or frankly, any other) specialty. Take their advice with a big block of salt.
and especially the program director for internal medicine at your institution. If you are an accomplished applicant, they will likely want and try to keep you, but it is also their job to help advise you as to how you can accomplish your goals. The IM PD at my institution was absolutely invaluable in their guidance and nearly clairvoyant in predicting where I would recieve interviews.
This is a much better person to approach, with the caveat that many of them will be quite familiar with local/regional programs and the big names, but when I talked to the one at my med school about the program I wound up ranking number one, she thought it was in Ohio.

This is a much better person to approach, with the caveat that many of them will be quite familiar with local/regional programs and the big names, but when I talked to the one at my med school about the program I wound up ranking number one, she thought it was in Ohio.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me too. PD at my institution really not as familiar with other programs outside the region as I thought he would be, and seemed mildly offended that I didn't want to stay at my home institution for residency

I'll post because I don't want all future students thinking only people with 260s and AOA get residency slots.

School: DO School
Step Scores: Step1 223, Step2 250 (Step 2 score not available until November)
Grades: Honors in Family, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Psychiatry, Peds; Pass in Surgery

Aways: Emory, UAB, Local community hospital, DO hospital
Research: None (One non-med related)

Other: MPH and MBA before medical school

Interview Invites:
(applied to nearly 50, offered 7, attended 7)
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Aventura Medical Center
Local Community Hospital
UF - Jacksonville
SUNY Downstate
Cleveland Clinic - Florida

Rejects: Everywhere, everywhere, everywhere

Matched: UT Houston (#2, but had it #1 almost the entire time)

Advice:

1) As a DO student, you really need to make sure to apply broadly. I thought I was applying broadly and got rejected almost everywhere. Going back afterwards and evaluating why, I realized that I had only applied to big academic centers that I had heard of. I also mainly limited myself to the Southeastern US and it bit me. I also applied to only 2 or 3 community hospitals. It was stupid and it almost bit me in the arse.

2) Nailing away rotations is good, but it doesn't always work if you don't have the stats and if the program doesn't historically take any/many DOs. I nailed my Emory rotation in every way. The attending who was the chief of GI wrote me an excellent LOR and talked to the PD on my behalf. I had numerous fellows and residents say I'd be great there and a few of them talked to the PD as well. I emailed them like 6 times on top of that, but never even got a rejection letter from them. Just no interview communication whatsoever.

3) Don't let internet forums get you down. We all know SDN self-selects and the overachievers are the ones that post 90+% of the time. It's easy to forget that fact sometimes and make you look down on yourself. I personally loved UT Houston, but a lot of super gunners talked crap about the program. Don't let random people make you feel bad about where you interview/rank/match at. As long as you're happy, no one else matters.

4) Seriously though, apply broadly. From my last interview till March 17th, I was legitimately worried about having to find a job at Costco for the next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Just keeping it simple as well..

Med School: state school in the south
Interviews: UNC, Columbia, Tufts, BU, UC Davis, Cedars, UCLA-Harbor, OHSU, Emory, UTSW
Rejects: UCLA, UCSF, Duke, NYU, Cornell, and a few more… applied to 26 programs with only 11 invites and 7 rejections.. others didn't even bother

Matched: Emory (#1)!!

I might be missing something but I don't get the point of posting where you interviewed and matched without any data/stats. For me, last year, this thread was good because it gave me a rough idea of my chances at certain programs based on people with similar stats. Without that information it just seems like boasting to an anonymous forum about where you matched...which doesn't seem very helpful to me

Reactions: 4 users
I might be missing something but I don't get the point of posting where you interviewed and matched without any data/stats. For me, last year, this thread was good because it gave me a rough idea of my chances at certain programs based on people with similar stats. Without that information it just seems like boasting to an anonymous forum about where you matched...which doesn't seem very helpful to me
The point of this thread is to boast. It's not all about you.

me'll post because me don't want all future students thinkin' only people wit 260s and AOA get residency slots.

Step Scores: Step1 223, Step2 250 (Step 2 score not available until November)
Grades: Honors in Family, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Psychiatry, Peds; Pass in Surgery

Aways: Emory, UAB, Local community hospital, DO hospital
Research: None (One non-med related)

Other: MPH and MBA before medical school
Interview Invites: (applied to nearly 50, offered 7, attended 7)
UT Houston
Houston Methodist
Aventura Medical Center
Local Community Hospital
UF - Jacksonville
SUNY Downstate
Cleveland Clinic - Florida

Rejects: Everywhere, everywhere, everywhere

Matched: UT Houston (#2, but had it #1 almost the entire time)

Advice:

1) As a DO student, you really need to make sure to apply broadly. me thought me was applyin' broadly and got rejected almost everywhere. Goin' back afterwards and evaluatin' why, me realized that me had only applied to big academic centers that me had heard of. me also mainly limited myself to the Southeastern US and it bit me. me also applied to only 2 or 3 community hospitals. It was stupid and it almost bit me in the arse.

2) Nailin' away rotations be good, but it doesn't always work if you don't have the stats and if the program doesn't historically take any/many DOs. me nailed my Emory rotation in every way. The attendin' who was the chief of GI wrote me an excellent LOR and talked to the PD on my behalf. me had numerous fellows and residents say me'd be great thar and a few of them talked to the PD as well. me emailed them like 6 times on top of that, but never even got a rejection letter from them. Just no interview communication whatsoever.

3) Don't let internet forums get you down. We all know SDN self-selects and the overachievers be the ones that post 90+% of the time. It's easy to forget that fact sometimes and make you look down on yourself. me personally loved UT Houston, but a lot of super gunners talked crap about the program. Don't let random people make you feel bad about where you interview/rank/match at. As long as yar be happy, no one else matters.

4) Seriously though, apply broadly. From my last interview till March 17th, me was legitimately worried about havin' to find a job at Costco for the next year.

I saw your post on the 2014 IM match results thread tonight. I am a third year DO student with similar numbers and was curious as to what places you applied to. I would like to go to an allopathic university based program as well but am worried that I may not be competitive enough. After researching a lot of programs throughout the southeast I have found many that have DO's in all of there current classes and appear to be DO friendly. Did you mainly apply to places that did not have a history of taking DO's and do you recommend applying to any programs in particular? I am also planning to do audition rotations at my top 3 choices. Thanks for any help or advice!

Step Scores: step 2 CK 258, no usmle step 1 score until Jan. 2014. step 1=250 level 1 578, level 2 625.
Grades: Honor in pediatrics, psychiatry, near honor for ob/gyn. No honor in medicine clerkship
Research: one publication, 4-5 research experiences.
Extras: master degree in physical science, teaching experience in biology.
Red flags: None
Interview Invites:
Northshore-LIJ, University of Florida, Temple, UMass, Drexel, StonyBrook, RWJ, NJMS-Newark, St Luke's Roosevelt, Beth Israel (NYC), Lenox Hill, Chicago-Northshore, Albany Medical center, Maimonides.

Interview Rejections:
JHU-Bayview, Yale, UNC, Colorado, Utah, Cedar-Sinai, Jackson Memorial, Loyola, George Washington, Huntington, Darthmouth
Silent rejection: Brown, BU, Jefferson, Emory, USC

Matched: # 1 choice

Advice:
For DO applicant, Step 1 score is most important (follow closely by step 2 ck), not having USMLE step 1 score at the time of application cost me many upper-tier programs that I would have gotten if both steps of usmle is available on Sept 2013. honoring medicine matters, but still not as important as USMLE scores.
Study hard for your step 2 CK if your step 1 score is not good enough.

if you are the fortunate few who get 245+/255+ on BOTH STEPS of USMLE, then consider showcase at a few upper-tier places that don't normally take DO, you maybe pleasantly surprised. otherwise, showcasing in residency program that is out of your league don't usually put you to the rank to match position.

make sure you apply to a mix of reach, and safety programs. and schedule easy rotation for Nov, Dec, and Jan so you can go to interview.

Finally, good personal statement, and interesting extracurricular may help an otherwise average applicant stand out.

Step Scores: step 2 CK 258, no usmle step 1 score until Jan. 2014. step 1=250 level 1 578, level 2 625.
Grades: Honor in pediatrics, psychiatry, near honor for ob/gyn. No honor in medicine clerkship
Research: one publication, 4-5 research experiences.
Extras: master degree in physical science, teaching experience in biology.
Red flags: None
Interview Invites:
Northshore-LIJ, University of Florida, Temple, UMass, Drexel, StonyBrook, RWJ, NJMS-Newark, St Luke's Roosevelt, Beth Israel (NYC), Lenox Hill, Chicago-Northshore, Albany Medical center, Maimonides.

Interview Rejections:
JHU-Bayview, Yale, UNC, Colorado, Utah, Cedar-Sinai, Jackson Memorial, Loyola, George Washington, Huntington, Darthmouth
Silent rejection: Brown, BU, Jefferson, Emory, USC

Matched: # 1 choice

Advice:
For DO applicant, Step 1 score is most important (follow closely by step 2 ck), not having USMLE step 1 score at the time of application cost me many upper-tier programs that I would have gotten if both steps of usmle is available on Sept 2013. honoring medicine matters, but still not as important as USMLE scores.
Study hard for your step 2 CK if your step 1 score is not good enough.

if you are the fortunate few who get 245+/255+ on BOTH STEPS of USMLE, then consider showcase at a few upper-tier places that don't normally take DO, you maybe pleasantly surprised. otherwise, showcasing in residency program that is out of your league don't usually put you to the rank to match position.

make sure you apply to a mix of reach, and safety programs. and schedule easy rotation for Nov, Dec, and Jan so you can go to interview.

Finally, good personal statement, and interesting extracurricular may help an otherwise average applicant stand out.

Congrats on the match, but man, what a waste to do so well on Step 1 and have it not even matter. Did you intentionally not take step 1 in time?

Hello Guys
I am a regular reader of sdn, I owe a lot to these forums. But this is my first post.
I am an IMG with YOG 2013 and both step scores of low 250s. I will get CS results in late Nov and get ECFMG certified. I have good performance in my med school and got 1 US Lor but no publications.
What do u suggest?
I am thinking of applying in early December although its late. What are my chances for IM?
I would be glad to take the most low tier university program, I am little hesitant but will even take community program if I can match this year.
Need your help frens: which programs should I apply? how many?

Hello Guys
I am a regular reader of sdn, I owe a lot to these forums. But this is my first post.
I am an IMG with YOG 2013 and both step scores of low 250s. I will get CS results in late Nov and get ECFMG certified. I have good performance in my med school and got 1 US Lor but no publications.
What do u suggest?
I am thinking of applying in early December although its late. What are my chances for IM?
I would be glad to take the most low tier university program, I am little hesitant but will even take community program if I can match this year.
Need your help frens: which programs should I apply? how many?
I suggest you post in the correct thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.