Official 2015-2016: LizzyM <70 thread

Started by kilez12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applied to 30+ schools. Starting to burn out with some of these secondaries...

I was verified at the end of August. Is it worth doing secondaries if its been over three weeks since the secondary avalanche? Anybody with a history of doing this? I feel like it probably would matter at some schools but not others.
 
I figured one more school can't hurt. I ended up adding UChicago, months after pre-writing for their secondary and deciding not to add them. For a while now I've been interested in their program and how much they encourage interdisciplinary academic endeavors; what ultimately led me to not apply were my numbers. However, upon much pondering (and a second wind of confidence due to recent IIs), I figured I owe it to myself to see if my essays and my application as a whole can take me far. We'll see.

I'm starting to feel that way, to add more schools. Why? Because the more the better?
But I kinda wish I would have acted on this feeling a few weeks ago.... especially since I have only one school immensely out of my reach on my list, that, and my continued interest in USC.
 
Applied to 30+ schools. Starting to burn out with some of these secondaries...

I was verified at the end of August. Is it worth doing secondaries if its been over three weeks since the secondary avalanche? Anybody with a history of doing this? I feel like it probably would matter at some schools but not others.
Unless the school explicitly gives you a deadline, they are not going to care much about when you turn them in. Quality over quantity. I did not turn my secondary for UCLA in a month later and still ended up with an II.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting to feel that way, to add more schools. Why? Because the more the better?
But I kinda wish I would have acted on this feeling a few weeks ago.... especially since I have only one school immensely out of my reach on my list, that, and my continued interest in USC.
Yeah, it's getting to the point of really late... Better make up your mind soon!
 
LizzyM of 66, but I'm re-applicant. Upper 20s for MD schools and a few DO schools.
Interviews: None
Rejections: None

Thus far, I'm just waiting in nervous anticipation of any news.
 
There are many people who have been at the 2 Month Silence mark and going (including myself).

I know the feeling. I've actually been complete almost everywhere for over two months (since early July). But today marks a month since I've heard anything from anywhere.

At this rate, the application process could take as long as med school itself! :/
 
Last edited:
I don't know if months of silence is better or worse than having schools reject me super fast. VCU rejected me within a week of getting my secondary. Also my brother always talks about the time he interviewed at a school on a Friday and they MAILED him a rejection by the following Monday lol
 
I don't know if months of silence is better or worse than having schools reject me super fast. VCU rejected me within a week of getting my secondary. Also my brother always talks about the time he interviewed at a school on a Friday and they MAILED him a rejection by the following Monday lol

Brutal
 
I don't know if months of silence is better or worse than having schools reject me super fast. VCU rejected me within a week of getting my secondary. Also my brother always talks about the time he interviewed at a school on a Friday and they MAILED him a rejection by the following Monday lol

Hahaha they finally saw the photo upload 3 days before the interview
 
Completed primary on the first day and submitted secondaries in July

LizzyM ~ 69

Applied to 18 MD schools - 1 Rejection, 1 Hold, Silence from the rest
Currently waiting for my DO application to be verified... (submitted 8/21)

The silence is killing me =\
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applied to 30+ schools. Starting to burn out with some of these secondaries...

I was verified at the end of August. Is it worth doing secondaries if its been over three weeks since the secondary avalanche? Anybody with a history of doing this? I feel like it probably would matter at some schools but not others.
I am almost positive it doesn't matter. I doubt adcoms are looking at an application and comparing the date the secondary was given with the date it was submitted... let alone going through the thought process "well this person would get an II, but they took too long to write their secondary."

Getting them in early is important because you want your application looked at soon and before they start running out of interview spots... I highly doubt the secondary sitting there would really make a difference beyond putting you in with later candidates.
 
Wait, don't you have an acceptance?

I have an acceptance to a DO school. I'm talking about the MD cycle as we are in pre-med allopathic. I guarantee a lot of the people in this thread would have an acceptance by now if they applied to DO schools. Most of us are all really strong candidates for DO schools as we are all mostly borderline MD applicants, or else we probably wouldn't be posting in the <70 LizzyM thread.

I think you have like 8 or so MD interviews right? Imagine if you had applied DO at around the same time as you applied MD. I'm almost certain you would have a DO acceptance right now.
 
Last edited:
I have an acceptance to a DO school. I'm talking about the MD cycle as we are in pre-med allopathic. I guarantee a lot of the people in this thread would have an acceptance by now if they applied to DO schools. Most of us are all really strong candidates for DO schools as we are all mostly borderline MD applicants, or else we probably wouldn't be posting in the <70 LizzyM thread.

I think you have like 8 or so MD interviews right? Imagine if you had applied DO at around the same time as you applied MD. I'm almost certain you would have a DO acceptance right now.

Aha, gotcha. My brain derped and I thought you had an early acceptance MD or something 😛

I have 8 MD, 3 DO. No DO acceptances yet, though. I'd feel a bit more confident if I did!
 
Aha, gotcha. My brain derped and I thought you had an early acceptance MD or something 😛

I have 8 MD, 3 DO. No DO acceptances yet, though. I'd feel a bit more confident if I did!

Oh, you'll be fine. I am confident that you will be accepted to medical school this year.
 
Hahaha they finally saw the photo upload 3 days before the interview
This was in the days before completely online applications and such. He says they probably just threw his rejection in the mail the moment he walked in the door and they saw his black jacket with blue pants that he got from goodwill, neither of which fit him. He also swears he might have worn black socks with brown shoes.
 
I opened a new VISA and a new AMEX specifically for this application cycle, hit both "spend this much and get a reward" signup bonuses in just over a month. Now I'm sitting on 85,000 free FF miles which equates to about 4-7 free round trip flights if I use them right. Figured if I'm gonna be paying an arm and a leg to get rejected from 20+ schools, might as well get something useful out of it hahaha

Did the exact same...Pay if off before my 0% APR runs out (8 months) and its basically a free loan with rewards added in 🙂
 
I'll send in an update too, hope the luck will come my way!
LizzyM 69

II-NYMC, Quinnipiac
Rejected-Tulane
Hold-GW

Silence from 20 other schools.

Regret not applying to Quinnipiac...Was my last secondary and after 24 others I was just dunzo.

I changed the "days since submission" cell in my app worksheet to "weeks since..." Once that hits double digits I'll change it to months maybe...

My google spreadsheet is driving me insane...not being able to fill in solid answer, and constantly putting, completed--under review as of ____ is killer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad