Official 2015-2016 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys, really looking for some inputs on the above said programs. Highly appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with thoughts on this???

NYU
UF
UT Houston
LIJ- Northshore
U of Nebraska
WSU
SLU
UConn

Depends on where you want to live. NYU is probably the one there with the most national recognition as far as academic programs go. LIJ-Northshore seems like a community program. Not sure about the rest.

hey guys, can you help me with ranking, need help, any input is appreciated. Want to go to clinically strong program, with some research. Likely want to do IP later. want to explore and find if I like any sub-subspecialty in Pulmonology. love procedures.

1. Mayo clinic Florida,
2. Uni of Wisconsin
3. Cooper University, Camden
4. Tulane
5. Henry Ford
6. Baylor Uni Med -Dallas
7. SLU
8. Uni of Kentucky
9. EVMS
10. Wayne State - DMC
11. Carilion Clinic

Thank you guys.

Wisconsin at the top. Then probably Baylor. The rest how you like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on the follow list?
I care more to be at an academic institution with strong clinic training...do not care that much about research ( although we all have to do some during fellowship anyways).

1 NYU

2 UT Houston

3 UF Gainsville -

4 Wayne State University- This is the one I am not so sure about. Big program. Good clinical exposure. But people have not said good things about this place

5 LIJ North Shore

6 Uni of Nebraska - Should this program be higher up??? They are getting lung transplant now. Great research.

7 SLU

8 UConn

NE should at least be above LIJ North Shore.

Okay people! Thoughts on the below?

Cleveland Clinic
Utah
UCSD
Indiana
Emory
Minnesota
WashU
Yale
UTSW

Tough list. :D

Rank the way you like them. Obviously WashU is the reputation winner, but it's a big academic (and sometimes that means poisonous) emvironment

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some suggestions for my ROL. My options are : St Louis university, Cook County, Einstein (Philadelphia) and University of Arkansas(UAMS). Just going by the program's strength and not cities, what order would you guys go by? I highly appreciate your help.

Hm. I suppose . . .

SLU
UAMS
Cook
Einstein Philly

Hey everyone...list mostly set, but would like insight from the prospective of a Division looking to hire a clinical researcher in 4 years...i.e. programs most likely to facilitate K award. Looking to do critical care outcomes research.

UCLA
Yale
U of Chicago
UC Davis
NYU
Penn
Cornell

Which is better, SLU or UK lexington?

Depends on where you want to live. NYU is probably the one there with the most national recognition as far as academic programs go. LIJ-Northshore seems like a community program. Not sure about the rest.
I guess not many people know much about LIJ NorthShore. Its a relatively new program but majority of their grads go into academics. They have probably the best US training in the country done Paul Mayo. Their fellows can practically sit for the ECHO boards. They are very clinically strong ( they do pretty much everything from EBUS to nav bronchs). With all that said, it is unknown to many people.

What did you guys think DMC- Wayne State?

Which is better, SLU or UK lexington?
I have the same confusion. I hope someone can help. I felt academically UK looked bigger and better than SLU, but fellows were happier at SLU.

I guess not many people know much about LIJ NorthShore. Its a relatively new program but majority of their grads go into academics. They have probably the best US training in the country done Paul Mayo. Their fellows can practically sit for the ECHO boards. They are very clinically strong ( they do pretty much everything from EBUS to nav bronchs). With all that said, it is unknown to many people.

What did you guys think DMC- Wayne State?
I am ranking DMC low on my list. I have new attending in my program who graduated from DMC< he says they lost couple of key faculties in last year, they also don't have strong IP trained faculty. But it does pay crazy 90000 salary, if money is variable on your equation.

Hey Guys!

Long time admirer, first time inquirer. Need some last minute help with my rank list.

Career plan: private practice or clinical academic career

Location preference: Slight preference for NYC and Cali but would also take into consideration training quality as well.

Yale
Mount Sinai
NYU
USC
Emory
Cedar Sinai

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone...list mostly set, but would like insight from the prospective of a Division looking to hire a clinical researcher in 4 years...i.e. programs most likely to facilitate K award. Looking to do critical care outcomes research.

UCLA
Yale
U of Chicago
UC Davis
NYU
Penn
Cornell

I imagine you could probably reach that goal with just about any of these programs. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to visit most of your programs, so I'm not much help on specifics. I did visit Chicago and I think they are particularly well suited for your goals in that they are pretty well known for critical care research and also at preparing for K-awards - granted maybe lots of your programs can do that though

Hm. I suppose . . .

SLU
UAMS
Cook
Einstein Philly
Thank you very much for replying. If you don't mind me asking, the UAMS vs Cook County based on a reliable information on your part? As I didn't get a great feeling about them.

Thank you very much for replying. If you don't mind me asking, the UAMS vs Cook County based on a reliable information on your part? As I didn't get a great feeling about them.

Mostly they big cancer center there. Though I do not know two people who went to both and told me the gospel truth about either one. Go with your gut.

UCLA
Yale
U of Chicago
UC Davis
NYU
Penn
Cornell

Most of the programs on that list will allow you to write a K. Yale, UChicago, Penn have documented ICU researchers on their faculty who have active NIH funding. I would probably rank those three at the top. From pure academic "prestige" standpoint - Penn > Chicago > Yale > Cornell=NYU=UCLA (for ICU research K's). However, every situation is different. See the vibe from the division admin, potential mentors you may want to work with, track record of previous fellows doing what you want to do and make your decision accordingly. Also again, this is not considering where you want to live, which sometimes supercedes others.

Mostly they big cancer center there. Though I do not know two people who went to both and told me the gospel truth about either one. Go with your gut.
Your word is the gospel truth jdh71. Appreciate all the help you are providing.

Don't know anything about Cook Country, but UAMS has a huge cancer population with a lot of myeloma. So you'll see a lot of complications related to BMT in the MICU. UAMS has an IP fellowship which may limit the amount of EBUS and interventional stuff a regular fellow will get to do.
Thanks pccm-guy. You are right about the IP part. The fellows were quite frustrated about that.

I have the same confusion. I hope someone can help. I felt academically UK looked bigger and better than SLU, but fellows were happier at SLU.
I agree, Short elective times in UK for research, they have big names but you will be mainly in the clinical rotations. While SLU, has more time, but few resources. However, fellows looked much happier in SLU.

I am hoping everybody has certified the rank order lists! Good luck to everybody for the match! Keep the discussions on-going to precent match day related anxiety!

Certified, now... 3 weeks of stress and busy rotation... good luck every one :)

I have converted all of my nervous energy into working out. 10 hours of exercise in 7 days. If I keep this up I'm gonna be able to win a body building competition by match day!

Oh boy. 50 hours and 3 minutes to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I am hoping they send it early by mistake tomorrow at 12 pm :p

I got my results early. It seems I matched at a grocery store as a cashier. Fifth choice but I'm still happy. Good luck to everyone else.

Reactions: 5 users
Crap. There goes my top choice down the drain.

Reactions: 2 users
Officially less then 24 hrs.. good luck everyone

I matched at the Cleveland Clinic!!!!!! I am so happy I might cry!

Hope things worked out favorably for everyone! Appears I'll be headed out to UCLA next year which I'm excited about!!

! Yay!

Last edited:
Got my first choice UPenn!

congrats all

fellowship match day was the 2nd happiest day of my life (maybe it's not supposed to be, but it was)

I assume that the first happiest was the day your first kid was born.

It wasn't. First happiest day was graduation from medical school.

The day my first kid was born was more like one of the most paralyzing terror days. To be fair I've gotten over that. And I bet someday when my children do awesome things - graduate college for instance - this will eclipse my "happy days" for theirs and I will find theirs to be mine too.

Reactions: 3 users
Any chance of a WAMC thread for this year's fellowship match cycle? Or is that type of neuroticism reserved for M4s?

Hopefully we'll get one soon. I know there's more and more interest in P/CCM. I have several co-residents who are planning on applying as well

I'm sure once the new application cycle starts (which is June according to the ERAS email I just got to inform me they are finally closing the 2016 cycle) that there will be a new one of these for us to discuss WAMC and anything else related to applying!