*Official 2015 JSGMESB Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clap MD

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there getting excited for the results to be released next month? Anyone - MS4s or GMOs - in the mix this cycle? What's everyone shooting for?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying for FTOS fellowship again.

This time for sure! :)

Nice, good luck! If you get that do you find out the "where" in December or do you have to wait until the civ fellowships release results? The AF doesn't have FTOS but I imagine it being similar to our civilian sponsored positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's complicated.

The spot up for grabs at the GMESB is for a 2016 start, in a subspecialty that had its nationwide civilian match five months ago. Military applicants without a 2016 pre-select from the 2014 GMESB were ineligible for that match.

Ideally, future GMESBs will be offering pre-selects so that applicants can have FTOS approval in hand in time to enter the match. I'm told this is the plan for the 2016 board and beyond.

Whoever gets the nod from the GMESB this year will need to find a position outside the match fairly quickly in order to accept it.

I have an offer on the table from a program I'd be delighted to attend, but of course there isn't (and can't be) a signed contract prior to the GMESB giving me the select. So while I like my odds (if selected) there are no guarantees. I have a couple other programs in mind that reportedly have room for an extra (.mil funded) fellow, if the first falls through.

I'm hopeful, but if a 2016 start doesn't work out the next likely window will be a 2018 preselect from the 2016 board.

Yeah you're right, complicated. It's too bad the timelines are off like that but sounds like you've optimized your situation with the relationships you have set up.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

MS4 - Navy- FM here. Not going to lie, I'm starting to feel nervous about this match. The Navy has been communicating for a while that they have 50 more students than residency spots this year and has been pressing people to choose Civilian deferments.
Of course, this is the year where very few people are interested in that option, myself included. Word on the street is that Navy has been making personal calls to some applicants asking them if they would consider a full civilian deferment. I'm not sure what to make of these calls. Does this mean the ones they call are considered strong or weak applicants?

Current flight surgeon here...hoping my dues paid will parlay itself to an EM residency. Results usually post midnight the 2nd Wednesday of December right?

MS4 - Navy- FM here. Not going to lie, I'm starting to feel nervous about this match. The Navy has been communicating for a while that they have 50 more students than residency spots this year and has been pressing people to choose Civilian deferments.
Of course, this is the year where very few people are interested in that option, myself included. Word on the street is that Navy has been making personal calls to some applicants asking them if they would consider a full civilian deferment. I'm not sure what to make of these calls. Does this mean the ones they call are considered strong or weak applicants?

Completely speculation, but those calls might be trying to prepare guys for the deferment to make sure they have been getting things ready in the civilian match. Another flight doc at my base was hoping for an AD residency last year and when he got civ def he had to scramble to late apply and set up interviews in the civ world. Can't see another reason why they would be "pressing people to choose" when they can just give you that anyway.

As far as who they are calling, I could see an argument either way. They want to maximize the chances of people matching, so they probably give deferments to people who they think will have a reasonable chance in the civ match. The may have already set aside the strongest (or at least the ones they want) for their AD programs. The weak applicants will end up GMOs.

Current flight surgeon here...hoping my dues paid will parlay itself to an EM residency. Results usually post midnight the 2nd Wednesday of December right?

Good luck with EM. I've always heard they have one of the highest applicant/spot ratios. I'm also hoping this little detour as a flight surgeon will pay some dividends next month.

so how long were you a flight surgeon for?
How is it being a flight surgeon?
too late for to apply for this match but could be a flight surgeon in 2016 and then apply for residency match for 2017?
how much does a flight surgeon get paid?

so how long were you a flight surgeon for?
How is it being a flight surgeon?
too late for to apply for this match but could be a flight surgeon in 2016 and then apply for residency match for 2017?
how much does a flight surgeon get paid?

1: it will be (hopefully) just under 2 years when I PCS.
2: lifestyle is good for the most part but the admin aspects are no fun at all, as well as the dearth of interesting medical cases. I am anxious to get back to residency.
3: I think you're asking if you can do a 1 year tour and then apply to residency as opposed to 2 years TOS. You can if you do an unaccompanied tour to certain locations.
4: You get a $15K bonus as a flight surgeon in addition to your base pay, BAS, BAH, VSP, and board certification pay if applicable.

1: it will be (hopefully) just under 2 years when I PCS.
2: lifestyle is good for the most part but the admin aspects are no fun at all, as well as the dearth of interesting medical cases. I am anxious to get back to residency.
3: I think you're asking if you can do a 1 year tour and then apply to residency as opposed to 2 years TOS. You can if you do an unaccompanied tour to certain locations.
4: You get a $15K bonus as a flight surgeon in addition to your base pay, BAS, BAH, VSP, and board certification pay if applicable.

to clarify #4: the $15k (but then taxed at 25%) ASP is regardless of whether or not you are a flight surgeon--every practicing physician gets this (just letting you know that if you end up a GMO in fam med, you still get it). One pay you will be entitled to as a flight surgeon that you wouldn't get otherwise is flight pay (starts at $125 a month).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
to clarify #4: the $15k (but then taxed at 25%) ASP is regardless of whether or not you are a flight surgeon--every practicing physician gets this (just letting you know that if you end up a GMO in fam med, you still get it). One pay you will be entitled to as a flight surgeon that you wouldn't get otherwise is flight pay (starts at $125 a month).
ASP is withheld at 25%, not taxed at 25%.

Most GMOs probably have effective federal tax rates of under 15%.

Good luck guys!

ASP is withheld at 25%, not taxed at 25%.

Most GMOs probably have effective federal tax rates of under 15%.

I guess I don't know the difference between withholding and federal tax... The Med Special Pays site says "subject to a 25% federal tax". Does this difference have implications on refunds/payments when tax season rolls around? I've seen on other threads that you seem to have a pretty solid grip on all things finance, so I'd appreciate any wisdom you have to share on this.

Good luck guys!

Thanks! One month from today!

The IRS requires that "supplemental wages" paid to a W2 employee be withheld at 25%, generally speaking.

The amount of money that is withheld from each of your DFAS deposits depends on a few factors - filing status, number of dependents, and DFAS's estimate of your total annual income.

Withholding is just a guess about your tax liability.

When April 15th rolls around the next year, you'll file your tax return. That $15K ASP payment just gets lumped in with the rest of your taxable income. You'll either claim the standard deduction, or you'll itemize your deductions and arrive at your total taxable income for the year. You'll get a refund for overpayment, or owe money if withholding underestimated your actual tax.

Your accountant or the tax software you use will consult the tax tables for the year and calculate how much you actually owe in taxes.

http://www.irs.com/articles/2015-federal-tax-rates-personal-exemptions-and-standard-deductions

For 2015, married filing jointly, one federal tax bracket is "$10,312.50 plus 25% of the amount over $74,900" per the IRS table.

If as a 2015 GMO your total taxable income was $75K then your overall tax rate was about 13%. Even though your ASP withholding was 25%.

If you have a working spouse or other income (moonlighting, investments, real estate rents, etc) the numbers change.

I guess I don't know the difference between withholding and federal tax... The Med Special Pays site says "subject to a 25% federal tax". Does this difference have implications on refunds/payments when tax season rolls around? I've seen on other threads that you seem to have a pretty solid grip on all things finance, so I'd appreciate any wisdom you have to share on this.

Thanks! One month from today!

Clap, not to be a prick but if you don't understand this basic concept about the tax code, you really need to improve your financial literacy ASAP. GMO time is an excellent time to do this as you probably haven't been sold a bunch of crappy insurance or other fee-generating investments yet (or if you have, you haven't wasted that much money yet). Get on bogleheads, read some books, use this time to get wiser. You can get 80% of the way there in a couple of days of work (really) and the 80% solution is pretty darn good.

G's quick and dirty financial literacy test:
True or False: If I let my pay bump up over a tax bracket threshold, all my pay is taxed at the higher rate and I actually make less money.
True or False: Since the S&P 500 has averaged an 11% return, I should use an 11% rate when calculating how much money I will have in 25 years.
True or False: Most financial advisors are required to act as fiduciaries (meaning they are required to make recommendations to me based on what they believe to be my best interest).
True or False: Since they don't match, I shouldn't bother with a TSP account.

Clap, not to be a prick but if you don't understand this basic concept about the tax code, you really need to improve your financial literacy ASAP. GMO time is an excellent time to do this as you probably haven't been sold a bunch of crappy insurance or other fee-generating investments yet (or if you have, you haven't wasted that much money yet). Get on bogleheads, read some books, use this time to get wiser. You can get 80% of the way there in a couple of days of work (really) and the 80% solution is pretty darn good.

True or False: If I let my pay bump up over a tax bracket threshold, all my pay is taxed at the higher rate and I actually make less money.
True or False: Since the S&P 500 has averaged an 11% return, I should use an 11% rate when calculating how much money I will have in 25 years.
True or False: Most financial advisors are required to act as fiduciaries (meaning they are required to make recommendations to me based on what they believe to be my best interest).

I read White Coat Investor and Bogleheads this year. It should be standard medical school curriculum. Not kidding

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies guys, I definitely need to do my research on this stuff and I appreciate the sources. Like you said, better to learn this stuff now while life is financially simple.

Sorry to continue derailing this thread, but I want to take the test! False, false, false, false. Did I pass??!?!

Let me take a stab . . .
False: get smart about how you itemize. Itemize/deduct more (within legal limits of course)....you take hom more money

False. No such thing as guaranteed return, certainly not one as high as 11%. If any of your funds (S&P or whatever have you) should be consistently returning 11%, start thinking about Bernie Madoff.

Even if this were true, I would never assume it. Do your own research, verify what your financial advisor is telling you. Financial advisors are like military recruiters.

If you have the option of a matched account....for instance, if your spouse has a matched account at his/her work (and you plan on staying married), might be a good idea to pour into that matched account instead of TSP. If TSP is all you got, I'd say go for it. It's worth a small chunk of your savings. What I like about TSP is you can borrow from it, and pay the loan back into it at low interest (2-3%), all of wich goes back into your TSP (nice to have, to pay off some of your other higher interest loans).

I read White Coat Investor and Bogleheads this year. It should be standard medical school curriculum. Not kidding

Couldn't agree more.

And everyone should open a TSP, even if you have a matched 401k for your spouse and can only afford that (which means you have a spending problem). As long as you have some money there, you can move money to it later. Its an option you should have for the future.

If anyone needs any help setting up a plan for civilian residency while completing a GMO tour...let me know. I'm talking to you...just about everyone trying to avoid primary care.

I matched to PM&R civilian...will be starting PGY-2 next year. I could probably write a book on the topic.

So if Horoho is retiring 5Dec does that mean she will sign everything early and we find out early...or do u have to wait even longer? (Im thinking the later)

So if Horoho is retiring 5Dec does that mean she will sign everything early and we find out early...or do u have to wait even longer? (Im thinking the later)
The board doesn't even meet until Dec 6-12, so no.

Also, the J in JSGMESB stands for "joint" so the fact that the Army SG is retiring or just having an extended lunch break doesn't change everyone's schedule. Results will be out on time, and not a second sooner, just like every year. :)

(Edit to fix dates; looked at wrong calendar)

Last edited:
I'm having a tough time getting excited this year... :/

What are you guys checking? Only thing I've ever seen is the email notifying me of my specific result. Is there a list posted somewhere or is that branch-specific? Also, the "strategic calendar" on the AF GME site which says the results WILL be released on 16 Dec (as opposed to NLT 16 Dec as I've seen elsewhere). One week left!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What are you guys checking? Only thing I've ever seen is the email notifying me of my specific result. Is there a list posted somewhere or is that branch-specific? Also, the "strategic calendar" on the AF GME site which says the results WILL be released on 16 Dec (as opposed to NLT 16 Dec as I've seen elsewhere). One week left!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For Army I check the MODS website. What did you use to submit your app?

Results come out tomorrow, right?