Official 2016-2017 Internal Medicine Residency Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry about that GutOnc. This would belong in the Internal Medicine forum. Thanks for moving.

Members don't see this ad.

With that many interviews you are fine. Cut some of the community programs you aren't as interested in, you won't have the time or money to go on that many interviews. Or if you do, use the time to do something more fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll bite. I really want to encourage future applicants not to give up on top programs if they don't have le crazy stats. I go to a school that's definitely not top 20, Step 1 230's, no Step 2 CK, no PhD, minimal research, no publications, AOA, GHHS, top 20%. I'll echo Matteo that it's really the application you craft-- my application all converges on a theme, and I'm passionate about carrying that theme through to patient practice and my career in the future. I have decent stats, but not "SDN-good", so there is hope yet!

@banjo10 , the elusive stats are out in the open!

@Casa Loma thanks for sharing. AOA and GHHS, at least at my school (not top 20), are the golden ticket.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess I'll bite. I really want to encourage future applicants not to give up on top programs if they don't have le crazy stats. I go to a school that's definitely not top 20, Step 1 230's, no Step 2 CK, no PhD, minimal research, no publications, AOA, GHHS, top 20%. I'll echo Matteo that it's really the application you craft-- my application all converges on a theme, and I'm passionate about carrying that theme through to patient practice and my career in the future. I have decent stats, but not "SDN-good", so there is hope yet!

In this forum I saw many users said the programs screen initially by names, stats and honors, because programs simply do not have time to look into SOP and LORs to know an applicant's full story.
So how can a program see the story behind the numbers? Do they look into details for every applicants?

I am wondering this too. Seems like the Boston programs took their time to go through everything. It also seems like there are 4-5 obvious 'screens' that could be done quickly - Step scores, AOA, PhD / lots of pubs, big name school, and URM. According to Gutonc, it's super easy for PDs to filter applicants by some of those things (AOA, Step). I don't understand how Duke, which seems to have sent out most/all of its invites before October 1, pulled that off without only admitting AOA and 260+.

Anybody know what time the interview day ends at Yale (the regular categorical program)?

In this forum I saw many users said the programs screen initially by names, stats and honors, because programs simply do not have time to look into SOP and LORs to know an applicant's full story.
So how can a program see the story behind the numbers? Do they look into details for every applicants?

I am wondering this too. Seems like the Boston programs took their time to go through everything. It also seems like there are 4-5 obvious 'screens' that could be done quickly - Step scores, AOA, PhD / lots of pubs, big name school, and URM. According to Gutonc, it's super easy for PDs to filter applicants by some of those things (AOA, Step). I don't understand how Duke, which seems to have sent out most/all of its invites before October 1, pulled that off without only admitting AOA and 260+.

Here's the thing that many applicants don't get, screens are just that...screens. You can filter applications 6 ways from Sunday (or Friday/Saturday if you're Muslim, Jewish or SDA) in order to get the apps you want to look at further. Then, if you're a thoughtful PD/Program, you do the deeper dive. That's when the rest of the application matters. So you may have a 260 on Step 1 but nothing else that makes you stand out...you're gone.

I think AOA and PhD are a bigger deal than high (assuming over any absolute minimum) Step scores in getting through initial screens. High Step scores show that you had 1 or 2 really good days over the last 3 years. AOA shows that you had an excellent 2 or 3 years and that the faculty and fellow students respect you. A PhD (or other advanced degree or experience) shows that you have several more years of dedication.

I went to a crap school (although the clinical experience I had in my M3/4 years was incredible), and the mantra there was that you needed 3 extra letters to get "Top X" interviews. PhD or AOA would do the trick (MPH might have worked...but we didn't have that program so who knows). But without those, you were pretty hosed.

I had both a PhD (with a crappy publication record) and AOA and got interview offers from about half of the "Top X" programs I applied to. I have no doubt that if I'd gotten accepted to another program in town (all of which were "better" than where I ended up) and done as well as I did during school, that number would have been more like 80%.

But here's the punchline...I absolutely hated most of the "big name" places that I interviewed at. The highest I ranked any of them was #4 (and that was due to my now ex-wife wanting that location), and 2 of my top 3 programs (including #1, where I matched) I only applied to because I was going to be in the area for other "Top X" interviews.

TL;DR...everything matters. The more boxes you can tick off on the application (Steps, school, AOA, advanced degree, pubs, research, LORs, ECs), the more likely you are to get the "big name interviews". But remember that just because everybody else thinks some place is amazing, that doesn't make it the right place for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Here's the thing that many applicants don't get, screens are just that...screens. You can filter applications 6 ways from Sunday (or Friday/Saturday if you're Muslim, Jewish or SDA) in order to get the apps you want to look at further. Then, if you're a thoughtful PD/Program, you do the deeper dive. That's when the rest of the application matters. So you may have a 260 on Step 1 but nothing else that makes you stand out...you're gone.

I think AOA and PhD are a bigger deal than high (assuming over any absolute minimum) Step scores in getting through initial screens. High Step scores show that you had 1 or 2 really good days over the last 3 years. AOA shows that you had an excellent 2 or 3 years and that the faculty and fellow students respect you. A PhD (or other advanced degree or experience) shows that you have several more years of dedication.

I went to a crap school (although the clinical experience I had in my M3/4 years was incredible), and the mantra there was that you needed 3 extra letters to get "Top X" interviews. PhD or AOA would do the trick (MPH might have worked...but we didn't have that program so who knows). But without those, you were pretty hosed.

I had both a PhD (with a crappy publication record) and AOA and got interview offers from about half of the "Top X" programs I applied to. I have no doubt that if I'd gotten accepted to another program in town (all of which were "better" than where I ended up) and done as well as I did during school, that number would have been more like 80%.

But here's the punchline...I absolutely hated most of the "big name" places that I interviewed at. The highest I ranked any of them was #4 (and that was due to my now ex-wife wanting that location), and 2 of my top 3 programs (including #1, where I matched) I only applied to because I was going to be in the area for other "Top X" interviews.

TL;DR...everything matters. The more boxes you can tick off on the application (Steps, school, AOA, advanced degree, pubs, research, LORs, ECs), the more likely you are to get the "big name interviews". But remember that just because everybody else things some place is amazing, that doesn't make it the right place for you.

Just an amazing post. Thank you for this, @gutonc .

Yup. In the email they said to let them know if you want to remain on the waitlist, should i reply that message on MyERAS or email PC or PD directly?

I plan on replying on ERAS unless anyone has any better ideas.

TL;DR...everything matters. The more boxes you can tick off on the application (Steps, school, AOA, advanced degree, pubs, research, LORs, ECs), the more likely you are to get the "big name interviews". But remember that just because everybody else thinks some place is amazing, that doesn't make it the right place for you.

PhD alone won't swing the pendulum that much and I think you over emphasize it in your post. A master's degree on it's own is essentially worthless with regards to residency applications.

To be considered for "top tier" interviews you'll need two out of the three of the following:
1. Top med school
2. AOA or top ~25% class rank
3. Honors in Medicine

Of course there are exceptions, especially if you have #1

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD alone won't swing the pendulum that much and I think you over emphasize it in your post. A master's degree on it's own is essentially worthless with regards to residency applications.

To be considered for "top tier" interviews you'll need two out of the three of the following:
1. Top med school
2. AOA or top ~25% class rank
3. Honors in Medicine

Of course there are exceptions, especially if you have #1

i only have an n=1 but at least anecdotally the phd definitely seems to help. student at my (below top 20) school last year with phd, without aoa (not sure about honors in medicine though he probably did have that), got interviews at many top places and ultimately matched to a very highly ranked program. there's a lot of people in this thread pondering if they're getting great interviews because of the stories their applications tell, and having a phd unquestionably allows you to do that

Has anyone heard anything from NYU (categorical)? Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (categorical, non-primary care)? Thanks!!

Really though that edit saved a Duke interviewee who mentions Arrested Development or Michael Cera from a series of probing stares

Thank you, @gutonc, for a good honest post.

I think Gutonc is completely correct. I felt my PhD helped me for sure. It shows an ability to self-manage, to teach, and to work independently. Independent projects can probably do the same if they're done right and well.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the status of Northwestern's interview invitation process. I know some people have received invites but not the usual suspects I would guess would also be invited to interview (e.g. matteo, casa loma). Do those who received an interview at Northwestern mind sharing if they are students there? I'm hoping that there is still an additional wave of interview invites on the horizon, as I am very interested in Northwestern's internal medicine residency program.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the status of Northwestern's interview invitation process. I know some people have received invites but not the usual suspects I would guess would also be invited to interview (e.g. matteo, casa loma). Do those who received an interview at Northwestern mind sharing if they are students there? I'm hoping that there is still an additional wave of interview invites on the horizon, as I am very interested in Northwestern's internal medicine residency program.

I received an invite and am not a student there. Previously I contacted the PD and he seemed very friendly and open to my email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got an invite from them on the first day. You'll find my stats floating around on these forums. According to their website they interview <10% of their app pool so they're pretty selective but I'm not sure what they look for. I'm fairly certain the reason I got the invite is because historically NW interviews quite a few people from my school probably because they have a good relationship with the faculty and students here. Regardless, definitely write to the program administration to express some interest. I think they have quite a few open dates left.

i had gotten an interview from them about a week ago and just declined it. i'm not from NW, but like elixiroflife i think they interview a lot of people from my school. the program coordinator seemed really nice over email--wouldn't hesitate to reach out!

Also not a student there but got an invite. I think they have some regional preference because classmates without connections to the midwest with similar stats at my school did not. Also just checked interview broker last night to switch the date and they still have a lot of openings (8 days with more than one spot).

I got an invite from them on the first day. You'll find my stats floating around on these forums. According to their website they interview <10% of their app pool so they're pretty selective but I'm not sure what they look for. I'm fairly certain the reason I got the invite is because historically NW interviews quite a few people from my school probably because they have a good relationship with the faculty and students here. Regardless, definitely write to the program administration to express some interest. I think they have quite a few open dates left.

Also not a student there but got an invite. I think they have some regional preference because classmates without connections to the midwest with similar stats at my school did not. Also just checked interview broker last night to switch the date and they still have a lot of openings (8 days with more than one spot).

i had gotten an interview from them about a week ago and just declined it. i'm not from NW, but like elixiroflife i think they interview a lot of people from my school. the program coordinator seemed really nice over email--wouldn't hesitate to reach out!

Great! Thanks for your input! I do not go to NW but am a Chicago native and would love to be considered. I'll email the PD tonight.

anyone get this error from ERAS today?

Your email to ****@****.edu was rejected.
Please check the email address and try again.
Subject: ***** Internal Medicine Residency Program 2017 Match - Interview Invitation
Details: Blocked from this ISP due to content or blacklisting.

So is it a long shot to believe that someone is going to cancel an MGH or a Yale interview? #keepthedreamalive

I got waitlisted as well. I remember seeing in past forums that MGH rejected candidates, but did they ever waitlist applicants? If so, any stories of people actually getting off the waitlist?

I got waitlisted as well. I remember seeing in past forums that MGH rejected candidates, but did they ever waitlist applicants? If so, any stories of people actually getting off the waitlist?
I seriously have a hard imagining someone dropping a MGH interview. I mean, even if you didn't want to go there I still can't see someone not at least taking the interview just because they could.

I seriously have a hard imagining someone dropping a MGH interview. I mean, even if you didn't want to go there I still can't see someone not at least taking the interview just because they could.
Yea, my thought exactly. Oh wells.

Haven't heard anything from MGH (so maybe I'm more in the rejection pile?), but I'm rooting for you guys too!! We're all in this together, ultimately (as High School Musical so eloquently puts it), and we'll be each other's future colleagues!

Haven't heard anything from MGH (so maybe I'm more in the rejection pile?), but I'm rooting for you guys too!! We're all in this together, ultimately (as High School Musical so eloquently puts it), and we'll be each other's future colleagues!

They have a special selection subcommittee for mythical creatures-- you didn't hear?? :D

Not convinced this isn't a ploy CL! J/k. Really fantastic job, I must say! Really surprised to hear the 230's Step 1. That makes me hate you less for over-applying (;)). I don't doubt that your story/theme on your application is top notch. In my opinion, I think your AOA/GHHS got more people to actually read it, though.

I have some really great insights from my experience this cycle involving some very open communication with programs, which would add a lot to the conversations above. But out of pure paranoia this early in the process, I will wait to post my experiences later (who's secretive now, @Casa Loma?). Needless to say, the top 15 programs get a ton of applications. Think of how long it takes us to do 2000 UWorld questions, now imagine the length of our actual apps and multiply the 2000 number by 2-3. Having enough people that categorize under PhD, AOA, GHHS just helps them not feel guilty about not reading the rest.

Hahaha, I'm glad you now see my reasoning for over-application! I just wasn't sure how competitive I was, given my *relative* mixed bag of stats. I canceled/declined a bunch and am continuing to do so!

They have a special selection subcommittee for mythical creatures-- you didn't hear?? :D

YAAAAAAAS. I'm a goshdarn special unicorn and require my own category for consideration ;) My ERAS application actually sparkles and plays soothing harp music to selection committee members.

Reactions: 1 users
YAAAAAAAS. I'm a goshdarn special unicorn and require my own category for consideration ;) My ERAS application actually sparkles and plays soothing harp music to selection committee members.

Love it.

This is some Harry Potter Maurader's Map **** right here. And now with the castle profile pic, it's all coming together. We are all just muggles in CL's wizarding world.

Reactions: 2 users
+NYU! Anyone received the interview broker invite yet?

From what I've seen, AOA is kind of a trump card when it comes to IM applications. It's seriously hard to get an interview at top 5 programs without it. The people who DID manage to pull that off are the ones who probably cured cancer ;)

False. I am not AOA AND I didn't cure cancer, and I have exactly one interview at a top 5 program. But yeah, AOA and research have been what really distinguished me versus my friends who have gotten more offers from top 20 programs.

Alright guys, I was planning on canceling a few interviews tonight and chickened out at the thought of giving up an opportunity at a place that I might like... or giving up a spot at a place on the off chance that I don't match (in IM) even with >12 programs. Here are my invites so far. I have a sub 230 step 1 but strong clinical performance and solid step 2. My class rank was top 35% (our second ranking from the top) and I assume my LORs were good. I would bet that 2 of 4 were fantastic.

- Yale
- Brown
- Sinai (Baltimore, Johns Hopkins community affiliated program)
- Christiana (community program in Delaware)
- Rutgers Robert Wood
- Rutgers NJM (Newark)
- Yale Waterbury (community)
- Greenwich Yale New Haven (community)
- Buffalo
- Dartmouth
- Brown
- Maine Medical
- Penn State
- Pittsburgh
- Case Western Metro Health
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cincinnati
- Wisconsin - Madison

I spoke to an advisor recently and they felt I could safely cut programs and we discussed dropping Yale Waterbury, Greenwich, and Case Metro Health. I am potentially interested in fellowships so was trying to avoid going to a community without decent fellowship/research connections, and I wasn't sure about the strength of these programs. That said, when I got online to finally do the deed, I started to wonder if attending only 15 interviews was maybe not as safe as my advisors might think. I REALLY do not want to be in a position where I don't match and I have this nagging fear that somehow this is going to happen. I've gotten great interviews but I have no real research to speak of, I've only done the usual ECs, and I generally feel unremarkable as a candidate.

Might any of you have advice about my list? I'd really appreciate it. Specifically, any thoughts on which community programs on my list are worth keeping? My advisor didn't know them all well.

Are you an AMG or an IMG? In the 2016 Charting Outcomes of the Match, your chances of matching were very close to 100% if you ranked 12 programs. So if you're an AMG I wouldn't think you would need to go on more than 12 or 13. If I were you I'd cut the community programs at least a couple of the lower tier academic ones. Though I would like you to cut Cleveland and Pitt for my own selfish reasons. ;)

I really think the AOA and GHHS are part of it too. Our applications are surprisingly similar, right down to the converging on a theme. What I'm missing is the AOA, GHHS, and class rank (I'm top 35%-ish).

Google says you're also a museum in Toronto. So they're probably just figuring out whether to put you in the "sites of interest" pile versus the "mythical creatures" pile.