*~*~*~* Official 2016-2017 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everybody,

Hope you are all doing well.

I would like to post a question which might be cliche and seen everywhere, however your responses would significantly be helpful for me.

I am a 31-year old graduate student holding a M.sc degree in biomedical engineering. My general GPA is almost 3.00. I would like to switch for Dentistry. However, my degrees are not from the US or Canada; therefore, as far as I am concerned, I will need to take the science pre-reqs through extended university(non-traditional student).

I am a reality-oriented person, so please tell me if this decision looks like a dream, in my case.
Besides, when should I start studying for DAT?

To put in a nutshell, how much chance do I have to be admitted in ranked dental school, considering my age, background and GPA?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everybody,

I would like to post a question which might be cliche and seen everywhere, however your responses would significantly be helpful for me.

I am a 31-year old graduate student holding a M.sc degree in biomedical engineering. My general GPA is almost 3.00. I would like to switch for Dentistry. However, my degrees are not from the US or Canada; therefore, as far as I am concerned, I will need to take the science pre-reqs through extended university(non-traditional student).

I am a reality-oriented person, so please tell me if this decision looks like a dream, in my case.

To put in a nutshell, how much chance do I have to be admitted in ranked dental school, considering my age, background and GPA?

Cheers!

GPA seems low, but since you have to take the pre-reqs you could bring it up, plus you can do well on those.

Are you an international student? If you are it could be possible that you can earn a dental degree outside the USA and then apply for an advanced standing program in the USA. That could be an option if that is an applicable situation.

I would also maybe consult a dental school. Some may be able to offer advice now, or you have to wait until april for application counseling. They are likely to give you realistic advice. You are older so I think they could really take real world experience into account.

Interview #1!!!!
School: UTHSCSA
Notification date: 1/10
Interview date: 1/30
Method of notification: email
TMDSAS mail-out date: submitted on 9/23, rec letters received 9/29, last transcript received 10/5 (so all extremely late)
Application received date/s: 10/5
GPA (bcpm, overall): 2.96, 3.1
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/22/19/none

I'm freaking ecstatic. Non-URM (white as wonder bread). To all you low GPAers.... there is hope.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #1!!!!
TMDSAS mail-out date: submitted on 9/23, rec letters received 9/29, last transcript received 10/5 (so all extremely late)

I'm freaking ecstatic. Non-URM (white as wonder bread). To all you low GPAers.... there is hope.
Congrats! I remember you from that one post asking if you should apply this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #1!!!!

state residency?

Congrats! I remember you from that one post asking if you should apply this cycle!
Haha yeah. Glad i did even if it was late. At the very least it'll be an interview experience that I'm very grateful for.

Congrats! did you submit an academic update or contact them with any information?
I emailed them after doing really well last semester. They said that it was great to hear, but they couldn't do anything until TMDSAS was updated with my transcript.

Reactions: 1 users
INTERVIEW #6!! Boston University

Anyone that has any questions about my stats can PM me :clap:. I feel like they're too distinct that it'd be easy for me to be recognized if I posted them publicly lol

Reactions: 7 users
Interview #4
School: PENN
Notification Date: 1/10/17
Method of notification: Email
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1/16
Application complete date: 9/29/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.82, 3.87
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/22/23/None

Interview date: 2/3/17

So thankful for this opportunity!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance #1! :)
School: MOSDOH
Notification Date: 1/10/17
Method of notification: Phone call at 2:47 pm CST
Residency: TX
AADSAS Mail Out Date: 7/15/16
Application Complete Date: 6/28/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.89, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/17/20/None

Reactions: 6 users
GPA seems low, but since you have to take the pre-reqs you could bring it up, plus you can do well on those.

Are you an international student? If you are it could be possible that you can earn a dental degree outside the USA and then apply for an advanced standing program in the USA. That could be an option if that is an applicable situation.

I would also maybe consult a dental school. Some may be able to offer advice now, or you have to wait until april for application counseling. They are likely to give you realistic advice. You are older so I think they could really take real world experience into account.
Thanks for the reply. I already asked dental schools but they haven't provided me with any advices, but some facts talk;)

Anyone that has any questions about my stats can PM me :clap:. I feel like they're too distinct that it'd be easy for me to be recognized if I posted them publicly lol

Nice! When did you find out?

Interview #4
School: Colorado!
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/29
GPA (science, overall): 3.95
DAT: 22AA

Reactions: 2 users

Smart :rolleyes:

any post-interview rejections from COLORADO yet?

Acceptance #1!
School: ASDOH
Notification Date: Early January
Method of notification: Phone
Residency: CA
AADSAS Mail Out Date: Early June
Application Complete Date: Mid-July
GPA (science, overall): 3.1, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/24/23/None

A lot of people didn't think I'd make it, but thanks to everyone who've encouraged me along the way!

Reactions: 16 users
congrats! when was your interview?
Acceptance #1!
School: ASDOH
Notification Date: Early January
Method of notification: Phone
Residency: CA
AADSAS Mail Out Date: Early June
Application Complete Date: Mid-July
GPA (science, overall): 3.1, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/24/23/None

A lot of people didn't think I'd make it, but thanks to everyone who've encouraged me along the way!

For those who have applied to Penn - do they update the AADSAS portal for rejections?

For those who have applied to Penn - do they update the AADSAS portal for rejections?
I don't believe they use the portal any further than designating your application as complete. I received an interview on Monday and they have yet to change it to invited for interview.

No

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't believe they use the portal any further than designating your application as complete. I received an interview on Monday and they have yet to change it to invited for interview.

Thanks - still nothing in the mail so I'll go back to being slightly paranoid about Penn.

Can someone who attended stony brook's interview tell me what to expect? I am getting quite nervous as my interview date is approaching...

Got accepted to Stony Brook today earlier this afternoon. Couldn't contain my excitement! This is my dream school! Will be turning down Rutgers and NYU all! Wooohooo!!!!
Congratulations! This is my dream school too! can you tell me what to expect for the interview? I am getting quite nervous as the interview is approaching...

Yep. Mine has been like that for a month now

Anyone that attended Case Western for an interview care to give me any tips/ insight about it. I'm a bit nervous about it and would like to know specifics about the interview there. Thanks a lot!

Just got and interview invitation yesterday for University Of Puerto Rico for all of you that are currently applying to the university of Puerto Rico and are wondering when where they going to start sending invitations.

Anyone that attended Case Western for an interview care to give me any tips/ insight about it. I'm a bit nervous about it and would like to know specifics about the interview there. Thanks a lot!
Very relaxed, everyone there is so nice. You interview with two people, depends on the interviewer if they want open file or not. Just have an idea what you would say for those three questions they provide in your interview packet and enjoy the ride!!

Hello everybody,

Cheers!
Since you have an international degree it won't be in your GPA calculations on AADSAS, only the prereqs you take in the US. The earlier you apply the better, so if you want to apply right away, given that you will be able to complete all the prereqs in time to matriculate next year, you need to TAKE the DAT about three weeks before beginning of June, when the cycle opens. You also will have to get your degrees evaluated and sent to AADSAS through the evaluations service (I believe they accept WES or ECE). Look at the DAT forum for great advice on timeline and preparation material.
good Luck. Don't give up if it's your dream.

Congratulations! This is my dream school too! can you tell me what to expect for the interview? I am getting quite nervous as the interview is approaching...

1 D4 closed file interview. Then 2 faculty will interview you and that will be open file. Most of it is conversational but you should be prepared to know your file.

Very relaxed, everyone there is so nice. You interview with two people, depends on the interviewer if they want open file or not. Just have an idea what you would say for those three questions they provide in your interview packet and enjoy the ride!!

Thanks so much for the input!

Thank you! Should I expect ethnical questions?

You mean ethical? I didn't get any but it can come up. It depends on your interviewer. They may ask what issues there are in dentistry today and more.

INTERVIEW #7!!!! University of Pittsburgh :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulation :) What a happy week for you, eldmd :)

Haha thanks, it definitely is!!! I just surpassed my quota of the number of schools I anticipated getting an interview invite from. I still haven't heard from 7 others LOL

Could someone give me advice on a situation please?? i have already put down a deposit at a school where I was accepted on december 1st. Earlier this week I had a post-dec interview at my 1st choice school and am trying to write them a thank you letter/letter of intent. Do you think I should tell them that I have another acceptance, but that I would forfeit my deposit at that school gladly if I were accepted to my #1? Or just not mention it? not sure if it would help or hurt...thanks in advance and good luck y'all

Could someone give me advice on a situation please?? i have already put down a deposit at a school where I was accepted on december 1st. Earlier this week I had a post-dec interview at my 1st choice school and am trying to write them a thank you letter/letter of intent. Do you think I should tell them that I have another acceptance, but that I would forfeit my deposit at that school gladly if I were accepted to my #1? Or just not mention it? not sure if it would help or hurt...thanks in advance and good luck y'all
I wouldn't mention it.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't do it! And I hope you get accepted into your state school you want, assuming it's in Texas ;)

ACCEPTANCE NUMBER 1 AND REMAINING HOPEFUL FOR THE REST.

TOURO
3.66 Overall, 20 AA, 21TS, 24RC

Reactions: 25 users