You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anyone happen to know, or have heard, what the trend is on when exactly COMLEX scores are released?
I know I'm expected to get mine between now and Wednesday but I haven't heard if they go based on date taken (where today I guess June 12th takers would hypothetically get theirs first)?
Thanks you guys!
This should be interesting. maybe they will do it like the nbme, where the scores available after 11 amAlso how will they let us know about score release? Their twitter account doesn't post release times.
Does anyone happen to know, or have heard, what the trend is on when exactly COMLEX scores are released?
I know I'm expected to get mine between now and Wednesday but I haven't heard if they go based on date taken (where today I guess June 12th takers would hypothetically get theirs first)?
Thanks you guys!
I'm not sure how the score release works, but most of my class took COMLEX I between May 22-26, which is at the beginning of the May 22 to June 10 testing period (which has a score release date of June 28 or 29). Despite taking their exams early, most of them received their scores on June 29, not June 28. Was it based on test location? By NBOME number? School? Exam time? Based on an n of ~120, I'd say the release date is a mystery from a student perspective.
I took the COMLEX on June 28, so I’m anxious to get my scores back… I feel like an “imposter” rotating/taking third year exams without knowing whether I even passed it… The COMLEX was NOT what I had anticipated (Unfortunately, it wasn't until test day that I realized that I wasted way too much time studying topics that are emphasized on USMLE, but not COMLEX… Ugh).
Don’t worry… We’ll know soon enough. For now, just enjoy the 'ignorance is bliss' stage... Good luck! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that's unfortunate to hear.... Reeeeally looking forward to getting both USMLE and COMLEX scores back on the same dayI'm not sure how the score release works, but most of my class took COMLEX I between May 22-26, which is at the beginning of the May 22 to June 10 testing period (which has a score release date of June 28 or 29). Despite taking their exams early, most of them received their scores on June 29, not June 28. Was it based on test location? By NBOME number? School? Exam time? Based on an n of ~120, I'd say the release date is a mystery from a student perspective.
I took the COMLEX on June 28, so I’m anxious to get my scores back… I feel like an “imposter” rotating/taking third year exams without knowing whether I even passed it… The COMLEX was NOT what I had anticipated (Unfortunately, it wasn't until test day that I realized that I wasted way too much time studying topics that are emphasized on USMLE, but not COMLEX… Ugh).
Don’t worry… We’ll know soon enough. For now, just enjoy the 'ignorance is bliss' stage... Good luck! 🙂
Knowing NBOME, I'll receive my scores at the latest possible time on the 19th
Hey thats what i say!Knowing NBOME, I'll receive my scores at the latest possible time on the 19th
I told myself that Im not even going to bother checking until the 19th ... but somehow find myself repeatedly refreshing the NBOME page
I feel your pain. Right there with you.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya definitely going to be the 19th. UnbelievableI told myself that Im not even going to bother checking until the 19th ... but somehow find myself repeatedly refreshing the NBOME page
why the certainty?Ya definitely going to be the 19th. Unbelievable
No certainty lol i am just being a pessimist (or realist 😉 haawhy the certainty?
It's been a solid month so I've totally forgotten how I did. I remember walking out feeling okay but at the same time there were A LOT of tough questions that I just couldn't be 100% certain on. The lack of certainty is very stress inducing.
No certainty lol i am just being a pessimist (or realist 😉 haa
Here here. It's definitely going to be the 19th. I know this because I took it on the 28th, and my luck is awful lol.
Well you should have taken it July 3 with your bad luck.. kidding we were doomed anywaysHere here. It's definitely going to be the 19th. I know this because I took it on the 28th, and my luck is awful lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure how the score release works, but most of my class took COMLEX I between May 22-26, which is at the beginning of the May 22 to June 10 testing period (which has a score release date of June 28 or 29). Despite taking their exams early, most of them received their scores on June 29, not June 28. Was it based on test location? By NBOME number? School? Exam time? Based on an n of ~120, I'd say the release date is a mystery from a student perspective.
I took the COMLEX on June 28, so I’m anxious to get my scores back… I feel like an “imposter” rotating/taking third year exams without knowing whether I even passed it… The COMLEX was NOT what I had anticipated (Unfortunately, it wasn't until test day that I realized that I wasted way too much time studying topics that are emphasized on USMLE, but not COMLEX… Ugh).
Don’t worry… We’ll know soon enough. For now, just enjoy the 'ignorance is bliss' stage... Good luck! 🙂
Does anyone happen to know, or have heard, what the trend is on when exactly COMLEX scores are released?
I know I'm expected to get mine between now and Wednesday but I haven't heard if they go based on date taken (where today I guess June 12th takers would hypothetically get theirs first)?
Thanks you guys!
Also how will they let us know about score release? Their twitter account doesn't post release times.
I don't think the scores are released in batches, but rather in one lump release for the dates listed. And yeah it will probably be the last date of the range they gave, based on historical trends 🙁 But hoping you all have a painless wait! I got my score on 6/29. I noticed it on the NBOME website first, after refreshing throughout the day, probably at about ~1:15 PM CST. I got an email from NBOME maybe 30 minutes after that saying my score was available. So, if you don't want to check the website, you can just wait for the email. Also just FYI, it will show up in the little box that currently says "Exam taken but score not released" -- that will change to either Pass or Fail, then you'll need to navigate to the View Scores tab (on the top navigation panel) to actually see your score.
lovely, ill wait till the 19thI don't think the scores are released in batches, but rather in one lump release for the dates listed. And yeah it will probably be the last date of the range they gave, based on historical trends 🙁 But hoping you all have a painless wait! I got my score on 6/29. I noticed it on the NBOME website first, after refreshing throughout the day, probably at about ~1:15 PM CST. I got an email from NBOME maybe 30 minutes after that saying my score was available. So, if you don't want to check the website, you can just wait for the email. Also just FYI, it will show up in the little box that currently says "Exam taken but score not released" -- that will change to either Pass or Fail, then you'll need to navigate to the View Scores tab (on the top navigation panel) to actually see your score.
I took comlex today -- does everyone get the same exam on the same days? I'm not sure if it works that way.. anyways I thought the first few blocks were tough -- many questions I was unsure about.. I thought the last 4 or so blocks however wasn't as bad. The OMM wasn't too easy but wasn't too hard either for the most part. I used uworld & comquest and I thought both did a very good job in their own ways.
AT Stillso whose bad luck do we have to blame for the scores taking so long to release?
I took comlex today -- does everyone get the same exam on the same days? I'm not sure if it works that way.. anyways I thought the first few blocks were tough -- many questions I was unsure about.. I thought the last 4 or so blocks however wasn't as bad. The OMM wasn't too easy but wasn't too hard either for the most part. I used uworld & comquest and I thought both did a very good job in their own ways.
No. Multiple exams are given on a single day. Your experience mimics my experience, I thought the first half was worse than the last half.
Did anyone take the COMLEX today? How was it? I took mine and it started out great and quickly went to ****. I would love to hear what others thought.
Yup! Took it. I was scared because the first four blocks were straight forward and very buzzwordy. The second half of the exam not so much!!! Legit marked half of the block on the 6th section.
Sat for comlex today... horrible exam. First 5 blocks were very opp loaded and very direct clear questions. Next 2 were insane... had no clue for a few would nail some then have 5 or 6 that were two pages long of garbage. Last block had some strange ones but mostly ok. Not much of a thinking test, mostly it was hey do ya know this or just nonsense.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sat for comlex today... horrible exam. First 5 blocks were very opp loaded and very direct clear questions. Next 2 were insane... had no clue for a few would nail some then have 5 or 6 that were two pages long of garbage. Last block had some strange ones but mostly ok. Not much of a thinking test, mostly it was hey do ya know this or just nonsense.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This was pretty close to how mine was back on the 11th.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Good luck to those getting scores today. Those who already received them, is it normally 11am like nbme?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It came out around 1:30 CST on the 29th for me.Good luck to those getting scores today. Those who already received them, is it normally 11am like nbme?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Also how will they let us know about score release? Their twitter account doesn't post release times.
"I was the perfect warrior; Cold & ruthless. I live by my strength alone. Uninhibited by foolish emotion! But slowly...over the years...I became one of you. My quest for greatless giving way to this life of mediocrity. I awake one day to find that I had settled down; formed a family."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wrote my COMLEX on June 13th, score just came in: 661
Pretty happy with this since my USMLE was only like 70th percentile.
For those interested:
CBT Score Conversion
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
Pretty happy with this since my USMLE was only like 70th percentile.
For those interested:
CBT Score Conversion
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
Wrote mine on 6/12 659 on comlex, 228 on usmle . I guess I'm okay with that , must have had an off day on the step
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'll join the 600+ club. Only did Uworld and green book. Didn't even read FA cover to cover or play with any COMSAE. That's all you really need. + am a below average student in class.
Just got my COMLEX score after receiving my USMLE earlier today (250+). Got an 800+!!!!!! Absolutely floored. No words to describe my excitement. Cheers everyone. Will do write up later.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Wrote my COMLEX on June 13th, score just came in: 661
Pretty happy with this since my USMLE was only like 70th percentile.
For those interested:
CBT Score Conversion
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
If you don't mind me asking, where we're you able to see your percentile on your USMLE? I've been wondering that.
I want to hear more good scores 😀. I'm in the middle of step so I sure as heck ain't checking right now haha. And then I'll be too afraid to check scores before I head some. So I'll check tomorrow. But, I need to hear more good news from folks and hopefully my bravery will go up 🙂
Got my COMLEX back: 629 (taken 6/12). Step 1 was a 232.
I'm pretty happy with my results but I can't seem to wonder if COMLEX even matters???? When you compare the two, I scored around the 57th percentile for USMLE and the 89th percentile for COMLEX. That's a huge difference!! Do program directors take that into consideration when looking at my scores? I feel that it goes to show that COMLEX is by far an inferior exam. Anyone have thoughts on the topic?
I'm pretty happy with my results but I can't seem to wonder if COMLEX even matters???? When you compare the two, I scored around the 57th percentile for USMLE and the 89th percentile for COMLEX. That's a huge difference!! Do program directors take that into consideration when looking at my scores? I feel that it goes to show that COMLEX is by far an inferior exam. Anyone have thoughts on the topic?
Got my COMLEX back: 629 (taken 6/12). Step 1 was a 232.
I'm pretty happy with my results but I can't seem to wonder if COMLEX even matters???? When you compare the two, I scored around the 57th percentile for USMLE and the 89th percentile for COMLEX. That's a huge difference!! Do program directors take that into consideration when looking at my scores? I feel that it goes to show that COMLEX is by far an inferior exam. Anyone have thoughts on the topic?
First of all congratulations and to be quite honest depends on the state I spoke to a couple pds in Michigan and they do take a look at both but they tend to go more with comlex because they are familiar with it . I think it really matters where you apply either way I have to take both sets just like you and I am going to apply broadly
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you don't mind me asking, where we're you able to see your percentile on your USMLE? I've been wondering that.
USMLE Step 1 Percentile Calculator | Med Student Books
Mean: 228
SD: 21
COMLEX: 610+, USMLE: upper 220s looking at the data I can get my hands on. Doesn't look like I am dead in the water for EM. Any thoughts?
Hey guys, Just looking for some advice.
I know all you people are going to think I'm a troll, but I promise I am not.
Received my complex score today got a 530, feeling really down. My usmle score was a 245. How bad does this affect my chances of landing a competitive residency like General surgery, EM or ortho.
I know all you people are going to think I'm a troll, but I promise I am not.
Received my complex score today got a 530, feeling really down. My usmle score was a 245. How bad does this affect my chances of landing a competitive residency like General surgery, EM or ortho.
COMLEX: 610+, USMLE: upper 220s looking at the data I can get my hands on. Doesn't look like I am dead in the water for EM. Any thoughts?
You're alright for both scores honestly. Last year step 1 mean was 233 and comlex mean was 590. So you're on the lower end of the bell curve in the MD match but far from "dead in the water".
for GS/EM you're good if you apply to ACGME residencies, the MD PDs won't care about the COMLEXHey guys, Just looking for some advice.
I know all you people are going to think I'm a troll, but I promise I am not.
Received my complex score today got a 530, feeling really down. My usmle score was a 245. How bad does this affect my chances of landing a competitive residency like General surgery, EM or ortho.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for GS/EM you're good if you apply to ACGME residencies, the MD PDs won't care about the COMLEX
How do you know this? just trying to get verification on where I can find information on this. Appreciate the response
i took mine 6/28 and was released todayDoes anyone happen to know, or have heard, what the trend is on when exactly COMLEX scores are released?
I know I'm expected to get mine between now and Wednesday but I haven't heard if they go based on date taken (where today I guess June 12th takers would hypothetically get theirs first)?
Thanks you guys!
it's just the consensus, I can't really link you to a quote/statement. Most PDs on the ACGME side don't understand the COMLEX, they just care about whether you passed it or not on the first go. They'll use your USMLE to compare you to their other applicants (MDs).How do you know this? just trying to get verification on where I can find information on this. Appreciate the response
it's just the consensus, I can't really link you to a quote/statement. Most PDs on the ACGME side don't understand the COMLEX, they just care about whether you passed it or not on the first go. They'll use your USMLE to compare you to their other applicants (MDs).
Dude is right. If you're applying to a program that has PD's that are MDs they won't care. Now if it's a former AOA program I'm inclined to believe they weigh that more just from the talks I've had with PDs in the AOA world.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would say that the time span between 9AM and 12PM today was probably up there in the top 10 worst moments of my life, but now that the SVT has stopped I figured I'd post my experience since so many people here calmed me down over the last 2 months. Ill start by saying I had basically a 0 science background coming in to medical school, changed my mind at the last minute and decided I wanted to do medicine after working in the field for a few years during undergrad. Got a 27 on my MCAT, ended up in the first quartile of my class after the first 2 years and scheduled my tests for 6/19 (USMLE) and 6/23 (COMLEX). I had about 3 weeks of dedicated study time once we finished our last system - this is completely my fault though, because we didn't have to have the test done until mid-July... I'm just impatient and kind of stupid.
COMLEX:
COMSAE A (5/25): 641 - wanted to make sure I'd pass my school's required COMSAE so took it just a few days before the required one
COMSAE D (5/31): 588
Actual Test (6/23): 680
Overall, the COMSAEs obviously do a terrible job at predicting your performance on the exam. Didn't leave the exam feeling like I failed it necessarily, but definitely didn't feel like I crushed it by any means. I predicted somewhere around 550's based on my post-exam feelings.
USMLE:
NBME 13 (6/5): 211 - almost died, wanted to push the test but decided I would take a few more and see where I was.
UWSA1 (6/6): 241
NBME 18 (6/13): 240
UWSA 2 (6/16): 239 - saved this bad boy for last since I thought it might boost my confidence a little.. wrong
Actual Test (6/19): 231
My only thoughts leaving the test were that I failed. I had absolutely no idea if I passed and had actually mentally prepared myself this morning for what I should do if I failed (e-mail my deans, figure out when to retake, make a study schedule etc.). I'm pleased with my score, but still think if I had just given myself another week or so to study I might have been able to improve in some of my weaker areas. By the same token, I felt myself burning out VERY fast by the end of my dedicated period and decided it was best to just take it before I reached the point of diminishing returns.
Point being that if I can do it, just about anybody can do it. Congrats to everyone for making it this far and if you're still waiting for your scores, have faith that you can do it and pass these things. Trust me, NO ONE saw this coming for me (including me) 😉
*EDIT: I by no means did stellar on my USMLE, but if anyone has questions about studying or anything else, I'm happy to offer what little advice I have.
COMLEX:
COMSAE A (5/25): 641 - wanted to make sure I'd pass my school's required COMSAE so took it just a few days before the required one
COMSAE D (5/31): 588
Actual Test (6/23): 680
Overall, the COMSAEs obviously do a terrible job at predicting your performance on the exam. Didn't leave the exam feeling like I failed it necessarily, but definitely didn't feel like I crushed it by any means. I predicted somewhere around 550's based on my post-exam feelings.
USMLE:
NBME 13 (6/5): 211 - almost died, wanted to push the test but decided I would take a few more and see where I was.
UWSA1 (6/6): 241
NBME 18 (6/13): 240
UWSA 2 (6/16): 239 - saved this bad boy for last since I thought it might boost my confidence a little.. wrong
Actual Test (6/19): 231
My only thoughts leaving the test were that I failed. I had absolutely no idea if I passed and had actually mentally prepared myself this morning for what I should do if I failed (e-mail my deans, figure out when to retake, make a study schedule etc.). I'm pleased with my score, but still think if I had just given myself another week or so to study I might have been able to improve in some of my weaker areas. By the same token, I felt myself burning out VERY fast by the end of my dedicated period and decided it was best to just take it before I reached the point of diminishing returns.
Point being that if I can do it, just about anybody can do it. Congrats to everyone for making it this far and if you're still waiting for your scores, have faith that you can do it and pass these things. Trust me, NO ONE saw this coming for me (including me) 😉
*EDIT: I by no means did stellar on my USMLE, but if anyone has questions about studying or anything else, I'm happy to offer what little advice I have.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 302
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 853
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 729