Official 2018-2019 Allergy/Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did people match? Anyone have the stats for this year?
Probably won't have the stats for a couple weeks.

I'll post impressions of the top programs in the next coming weeks for future readers to enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Mass Gen
Great program. Accomplished program and great directors. Interview day was amazing - group interviews and also the goodies they gave were phenomenal. Fellows stated that fellowship there wasn't as easy as other places and in someways reminded them of residency which made me a little queasy but it's Harvard. Can be two years but it seems like everyone stays for 3. Facilities felt cramped.

Columbia
Ok program. Program director is a little strict. Facilities are ok. Only one fellow per year which is a major drag because the way the call is scheduled, you need to be there every weekend at least one day. You can switch with the other fellow to cover alternating weekends but it is not sanctioned by the PD. Fellows didn't seem super happy. Additionally, that area of Manhattan is really far from where people actually want to live in Manhattan. If it was more than 1 fellow a year I'd have ranked it higher. Large focus on epidemiology.

Yale
Ok program. New PD. Weird intermingling with the Rheum department and one of the Attending's who interviewed was a Rheum attending who seemed completely uninterested during my interview and a lot of other interviewees got the same impression. You are coming here for the name mostly. The PD stated that the program is no longer 3 years mandatory and if you are interested in QI type stuff can do 2 years. New Haven is pretty liveable for 2 years and close to nice cities. Facilities were nice. Fellows seemed pretty happy.

UPenn
Ok program. Really IM focused. Nice facilities. Philly is an amazing city and affordable. Main problem is similar to Columbia: only one fellow per year so there is a large call burden. PD is young and new. If it was more than one fellow I would have ranked it higher. Fellows seemed pretty happy.

Northwestern
Amazing program, especially if you want to do basic science research. Gorgeous hospital and facilities - probably the nicest I had seen. Chicago is a nice city and super clean. PD is super nice. Only downside I could see is you need to stay for the drug desensitization in the ICU - fellows said they are trying to change that. All the facilities are very close to each other as well. Fellows seemed happy.

Brigham
Depends what you want. If you want to do basic science research, it's a really great program. If you don't, it's a forced 3rd year. I have a feeling fellows there went for the name because they didn't seem super happy and are all jumping to non basic science research projects. Facilities are all brand new.

Boston University
I have to say the PD here is really passionate and nice. There is only one fellow per year here but the fellow doesn't take weekend call here - the pulm fellows cover it lol. Fellow was happy.

Penn State
Nice PD and nice program. Fellows were all super happy. It's in the middle of no where though. Low cost of living. Learned so much Milton Hershey trivia on interview day that I kinda respect the guy even though I don't like his chocolate.

USC
Nice program and PD but it's pretty ghetto there. They take two fellows per 2 years so they won't be participating next year. Fellows were happy. Facilities were probably the worst of any program I had been to. Like laughably bad. Also you should probably speak Spanish if you come here.

Buffalo
Nice program great facilities but buffalo as a city isn't really all that. Fellows were happy. Lots of fellows so the call schedule was easy. Facilities are all brand new. You'll need a car cuz there are some off site clinics.

Colorado/ National Jewish
Nice program. Obviously one of the best in the country. Storied history. Facilities were nice. NJH and the UC hospital were like a 30 minute drive apart which was kind of annoying. Denver is nice and liveable. Fellows seemed happy. One attending can be a little intimidating but apparently he is just like that on the interview day.

Uwash (Seattle)
Nice program, facilities were great. Seattle is a nice place. Fellows seemed kinda happy only issue is that they have a primary service for SCID kids that are hospitalized which I didn't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey trying to plan for interview season. In which month were most of the interviews? September?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other program reviews? Its always interesting to me how quiet this field's thread is, especially after match. Anyone interview at any programs in Michigan or Ohio? If you dont want to share publicly, I can send a PM, just let me know. Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting! Wish others would follow your example!
Mass Gen
Great program. Accomplished program and great directors. Interview day was amazing - group interviews and also the goodies they gave were phenomenal. Fellows stated that fellowship there wasn't as easy as other places and in someways reminded them of residency which made me a little queasy but it's Harvard. Can be two years but it seems like everyone stays for 3. Facilities felt cramped.

Columbia
Ok program. Program director is a little strict. Facilities are ok. Only one fellow per year which is a major drag because the way the call is scheduled, you need to be there every weekend at least one day. You can switch with the other fellow to cover alternating weekends but it is not sanctioned by the PD. Fellows didn't seem super happy. Additionally, that area of Manhattan is really far from where people actually want to live in Manhattan. If it was more than 1 fellow a year I'd have ranked it higher. Large focus on epidemiology.

Yale
Ok program. New PD. Weird intermingling with the Rheum department and one of the Attending's who interviewed was a Rheum attending who seemed completely uninterested during my interview and a lot of other interviewees got the same impression. You are coming here for the name mostly. The PD stated that the program is no longer 3 years mandatory and if you are interested in QI type stuff can do 2 years. New Haven is pretty liveable for 2 years and close to nice cities. Facilities were nice. Fellows seemed pretty happy.

UPenn
Ok program. Really IM focused. Nice facilities. Philly is an amazing city and affordable. Main problem is similar to Columbia: only one fellow per year so there is a large call burden. PD is young and new. If it was more than one fellow I would have ranked it higher. Fellows seemed pretty happy.

Northwestern
Amazing program, especially if you want to do basic science research. Gorgeous hospital and facilities - probably the nicest I had seen. Chicago is a nice city and super clean. PD is super nice. Only downside I could see is you need to stay for the drug desensitization in the ICU - fellows said they are trying to change that. All the facilities are very close to each other as well. Fellows seemed happy.

Brigham
Depends what you want. If you want to do basic science research, it's a really great program. If you don't, it's a forced 3rd year. I have a feeling fellows there went for the name because they didn't seem super happy and are all jumping to non basic science research projects. Facilities are all brand new.

Boston University
I have to say the PD here is really passionate and nice. There is only one fellow per year here but the fellow doesn't take weekend call here - the pulm fellows cover it lol. Fellow was happy.

Penn State
Nice PD and nice program. Fellows were all super happy. It's in the middle of no where though. Low cost of living. Learned so much Milton Hershey trivia on interview day that I kinda respect the guy even though I don't like his chocolate.

USC
Nice program and PD but it's pretty ghetto there. They take two fellows per 2 years so they won't be participating next year. Fellows were happy. Facilities were probably the worst of any program I had been to. Like laughably bad. Also you should probably speak Spanish if you come here.

Buffalo
Nice program great facilities but buffalo as a city isn't really all that. Fellows were happy. Lots of fellows so the call schedule was easy. Facilities are all brand new. You'll need a car cuz there are some off site clinics.

Colorado/ National Jewish
Nice program. Obviously one of the best in the country. Storied history. Facilities were nice. NJH and the UC hospital were like a 30 minute drive apart which was kind of annoying. Denver is nice and liveable. Fellows seemed happy. One attending can be a little intimidating but apparently he is just like that on the interview day.

Uwash (Seattle)
Nice program, facilities were great. Seattle is a nice place. Fellows seemed kinda happy only issue is that they have a primary service for SCID kids that are hospitalized which I didn't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

So I am peds pgy2 applying for the July 2020 start. I know ERAS posted the timeline but the actualy match date is not posted. does anyone know when it is? from what I understand peds and IM have different match dates but ERAS had only "December" as match date.....any insight?

When does the post for the upcoming cycle get posted?

Looking forward to meeting ya all on the interview trail (yet again) and best of luck!

So I am peds pgy2 applying for the July 2020 start. I know ERAS posted the timeline but the actualy match date is not posted. does anyone know when it is? from what I understand peds and IM have different match dates but ERAS had only "December" as match date.....any insight?

Looking forward to meeting ya all on the interview trail (yet again) and best of luck!
Hi! When is exactly the time to apply ? July 1st or July 15th?

Hi! When is exactly the time to apply ? July 1st or July 15th?

Hope this helps. The ERAS and NRMP websites have been updated and all of these answers/details are now available on one or the other:
-A/I is in the Medical Specialties Matching Program and follows that match calendar. So ranking and matching is the same for IM and peds applicants. Match day is 12/4/19.
-July 5th is when we are actually able to select and send out our completed ERAS apps to programs. Programs can see these on July 15th. So basically, you'd need everything completed by July 15th if you don't wanna be late to the party.

I forgot to reply to this thread, but I can give some opinions on places I interviewed at:

UPenn - seemed to have a lot of funding. Fellows seemed happy. The program director seemed incredibly supportive and felt like she created a very educational environment.

University of Iowa - seemed like a great program, very friendly faculty, great/relaxed schedule, beautiful hospital. BUT, it's in Iowa...

Northwestern - huge program, seemed kind of intense. one of the interviewers asked hypothetical questions, rather than a get-to-know you type interview which was odd. Fellows seemed very busy

UCSF - felt too focused on peds immunology, they have their own inpatient team... allergy seemed kind of like an after thought. PD hadn't even opened my application prior to my interview. fellows did not seem too happy

Boston U - AWESOME program, all the fellows seemed incredibly happy. Mixed in with pulm department, everyone seemed to know each other and were all friends. seemed like a great environment

NYU - not in manhattan but rather on long island. program director was kind of odd, but all the other faculty seemed great. hospital felt kind of ghetto but fellows seemed content. housing subsidized.

Hofstra - fellows seemed overworked and busy, but nice hospital. seemed to provide well-rounded training

LSU - everyone seemed happy, seemed to get well-rounded training

Reactions: 1 user