OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
I will say that there are schools that will take COMLEX only and others that will require the USMLE (despite saying they will take COMLEX scores). My friend did COMLEX only and she had more interviews than I did, however the places that we interviewed at differed greatly. I am not at all saying any residency is better than the other, but she got more midwest interviews, while I got more west coast/southern/east coast programs.

My advice to any future applicant is to 100% take the USMLE regardless.
I’m just surprised we are still having this argument. People need to take the step you can’t compare apples to oranges

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Far Away
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Trust me,I was just as surprised as you. Also they got interviews at places that totally ghosted me
I had a program I for sure thought I was a shoe in for ghosting me, I called them to see what was up and turns out they didn't get my MSPE until the very end of November. I ended up with an II that day after the PD looked at my file, but I was lucky that there was a spot they could give me.

Moral of the story is they might not have ghosted you, there might have been a technical snafu and by the time they got to you it was too late.

docbsb2015

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a program I for sure thought I was a shoe in for ghosting me, I called them to see what was up and turns out they didn't get my MSPE until the very end of November. I ended up with an II that day after the PD looked at my file, but I was lucky that there was a spot they could give me.

Moral of the story is they might not have ghosted you, there might have been a technical snafu and by the time they got to you it was too late.
Interesting. I wonder how much of this goes on.... Did ERAS show your MSPE received when you submitted it? Or you probably didn’t go through and check every program right?

OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
COMLEX only and plenty of interviews? I’m sitting on 9 interviews and keep thinking how much less I’d have if I hadn’t taken USMLE
That depends on the person. One person I met did 2 months of 2 week gas rotations and had 12 ivs , likely 8 of those came from auditions

MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Far Away
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Interesting. I wonder how much of this goes on.... Did ERAS show your MSPE received when you submitted it? Or you probably didn’t go through and check every program right?
No didn't check every single program...not really even sure how I'd do that.

Eppur Si Muove

And yet, it moves
2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
are you guys sending emails to programs that are at the top of your rank list? If so, how did you guys word it? I wanted to send something to my top 2 programs but I am not going to lie to them and tell them both they are my number one program, would wording something like "I find your program to be at the top of my rank list" be too vague or misleading?

docbsb2015

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
are you guys sending emails to programs that are at the top of your rank list? If so, how did you guys word it? I wanted to send something to my top 2 programs but I am not going to lie to them and tell them both they are my number one program, would wording something like "I find your program to be at the top of my rank list" be too vague or misleading?
Most believe it better to just send “you’re my #1” to your true #1 and leave it at that.

Jan 22, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I recommend using a pigeon carrier, paper from a dogwood tree, and calligraphy style. Use your own personalized seal as well so they know it’s really from you (I’ve had issues with this in the past).

OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
Most believe it better to just send “you’re my #1” to your true #1 and leave it at that.
Only sent it to my top program

Edit: saying ranking you highly likely doesn’t really mean anything to pd .

Last edited:

docbsb2015

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Only sent it to my top program

Edit: saying ranking you highly likely doesn’t really mean anything to pd .

Agreed. Ranking you highly could mean in your top half, which could potentially mean in the top 10 for some applicants lol. So I don’t blame them for trashing those emails.

Inygma

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Ya just your #1, anything else can be looked at negatively since it means you are not my #1

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why even send a #1 email lolol

They don't care, they will rank how they like the applicants whether or not you send them a love letter or a bag of cash. They probably ranked you before you even left for the day.

Reactions: APA 32

Eppur Si Muove

And yet, it moves
2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

They don't care, they will rank how they like the applicants whether or not you send them a love letter or a bag of cash. They probably ranked you before you even left for the day.
PD at a place I interviewed at told me to email him after interview season if I was still interested in attending his program, and he told me that this does make a difference. To each their own though

MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Far Away
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I think these emails are less about increasing our chances, and more about an attempt to give ourselves control over a situation where we feel none.

OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
I think these emails are less about increasing our chances, and more about an attempt to give ourselves control over a situation where we feel none.
This might be true. Id recommends peeps to do a second look at their #1 if they really wanna go all out but then again its not needed and it might not help. i was told by my ms4 that it helped them alot

Eagles6389

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This might be true. Id recommends peeps to do a second look at their #1 if they really wanna go all out but then again its not needed and it might not help. i was told by my ms4 that it helped them alot
I really wouldn’t recommend a second look unless there’s a very specific reason for it, rather than just trying to show extra interest. Most places I interviewed at didn’t even offer second looks. It’s one thing to do a four week rotation at a program, it’s another to come back on a second look for one day when the vast majority of people who interview don’t do this. It could also potentially hurt you.

In terms of the discussion of sending an LOI to your #1, it probably doesn’t make much of a difference if at all, but this is program dependent. I think a lot of applicants send one just so that if you don’t match at your #1, you aren’t thinking “man, what if I had sent an LOI”. Probably wouldn’t have made a difference, but at least gives you some comfort knowing you did everything possible to try and match there.

And I wouldnt send the LOI to more than one program. Never know what PDs are friends and you don’t want to send it to your #1 and #2, not match to either, and then be thinking to yourself “what if they somehow found out and that’s why I didn’t match to either one”. At least that would be my fear

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do a second look if you're having a tough time deciding between programs and you want to get some more perspectives from current residents and attendings. It is a lot easier to make a mistake than it is to make a good impression so do yourself a favor and don't waste your time or money.

jujubee5864

5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2012
Status
I am not sure if this is a strange request, but could people post programs that sent a favorable response to our love letters that we sent to our respective #1 program?

kitsume

2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Anyone have any thoughts regarding the Yale residency; they seem really good for research but I hear mixed things clinically...

UnoMas

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Really dumb mistake and ensuing dumb question
Finally logged into MyEras after the longest time (to copy and paste program NRMP codes and verify them) and I realized 2 of the programs that I interviewed at I FORGOT to apply to the advanced spots. I added them just now. Should I email the programs to let them know? Call? Anyone has experience with this?

physicianado

2+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Really dumb mistake and ensuing dumb question
Finally logged into MyEras after the longest time (to copy and paste program NRMP codes and verify them) and I realized 2 of the programs that I interviewed at I FORGOT to apply to the advanced spots. I added them just now. Should I email the programs to let them know? Call? Anyone has experience with this?
They would probably consider you for both types of positions regardless, I would not be too worried about it

physicianado

2+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What happens if you want to swap with some other program after you match? Are the contracts we sign with the program "at will employment" or is it a 4-year binding contract?

Inygma

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Edit: Don't want to misinform

Last edited:
OP
Dr.Jekyll75

Dr.Jekyll75

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
Murica
Status
Medical Student
It seems you can "trade" starting PGY2 from things I've read, if someone wants your spot and you want theirs, but honestly not sure how it works
from my understanding if you match categorical you can swap pgy2, but if its adv you must swap pgy 3. each institution has given you a 1 year contract that binds you. Its best to ask a program director, we are just randoms on the internet

Reactions: Inygma

UrbanAchievers

7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It seems you can "trade" starting PGY2 from things I've read, if someone wants your spot and you want theirs, but honestly not sure how it works
You cannot just trade spots into a program. Everything would have to be based on the new program accepting you as a transfer.

Reactions: Inygma
Jan 29, 2019
Anybody get weird insecure vibes from UT Southwestern? I got asked how their program/interview day/dinner compared to other programs I'd been to like 2-3 different times throughout the interview day. Even got asked in one of my interviews to, without naming any names, compare their program to other places I had been.

Also had 3 different people (1 faculty, 2 residents, 1 of which was the tour guide) ask who all in the group had heard that they were a workhorse program (queue everyone in the group raising their hands), followed by "we work hard, but we've started taking less call and it's getting better".

UnoMas

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anybody get weird insecure vibes from UT Southwestern? I got asked how their program/interview day/dinner compared to other programs I'd been to like 2-3 different times throughout the interview day. Even got asked in one of my interviews to, without naming any names, compare their program to other places I had been.

Also had 3 different people (1 faculty, 2 residents, 1 of which was the tour guide) ask who all in the group had heard that they were a workhorse program (queue everyone in the group raising their hands), followed by "we work hard, but we've started taking less call and it's getting better".
Didn't interview there but I am glad to hear that programs are just as insecure as I am. Would have been a good match!

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I think it's natural for people to wonder how they stack up to their peers. IMO it's weird if their interview day sucks and they don't ask because it means they don't care to make it better. I only know a little about the places I interviewed at and my knowledge is a few years out of date. Since then there have been PD and chair changes with resultant changes in culture, some for the better and others for the worse.

Reactions: Omppu27
Jan 9, 2019
Can anyone give advice about this situation?

I sent a LOI email to the PD and chairman at my top program. I got a reply “thank you” from the chairman. One minute later I got an email from the chairman saying “do we want him?”— clearly intended to sent it to the PD. Should I answer his email and let him know he sent it to me accidentally or just let it go? I don’t want to live with regret if I don’t match here worrying the PD never saw this and glanced over it, even though he was a recipient of my original LOI email. Thoughts?