Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II... not sure what to do yet since I finally felt relief of it being over haha
Haha! Wow, wonder which program is still sending out II

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y’all post on the spread sheet about rank list and protect your cells. Give your fellow homies some feed back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys sending emails to programs that are at the top of your rank list? If so, how did you guys word it? I wanted to send something to my top 2 programs but I am not going to lie to them and tell them both they are my number one program, would wording something like "I find your program to be at the top of my rank list" be too vague or misleading?

are you guys sending emails to programs that are at the top of your rank list? If so, how did you guys word it? I wanted to send something to my top 2 programs but I am not going to lie to them and tell them both they are my number one program, would wording something like "I find your program to be at the top of my rank list" be too vague or misleading?
Most believe it better to just send “you’re my #1” to your true #1 and leave it at that.

Reactions: 1 users

I recommend using a pigeon carrier, paper from a dogwood tree, and calligraphy style. Use your own personalized seal as well so they know it’s really from you (I’ve had issues with this in the past).

Reactions: 2 users
Most believe it better to just send “you’re my #1” to your true #1 and leave it at that.

Only sent it to my top program

Edit: saying ranking you highly likely doesn’t really mean anything to pd .

Last edited:
Only sent it to my top program

Edit: saying ranking you highly likely doesn’t really mean anything to pd .

Agreed. Ranking you highly could mean in your top half, which could potentially mean in the top 10 for some applicants lol. So I don’t blame them for trashing those emails.

Why even send a #1 email lolol

They don't care, they will rank how they like the applicants whether or not you send them a love letter or a bag of cash. They probably ranked you before you even left for the day.

They don't care, they will rank how they like the applicants whether or not you send them a love letter or a bag of cash. They probably ranked you before you even left for the day.
PD at a place I interviewed at told me to email him after interview season if I was still interested in attending his program, and he told me that this does make a difference. To each their own though

I think these emails are less about increasing our chances, and more about an attempt to give ourselves control over a situation where we feel none.

Reactions: 3 users
I think these emails are less about increasing our chances, and more about an attempt to give ourselves control over a situation where we feel none.
This might be true. Id recommends peeps to do a second look at their #1 if they really wanna go all out but then again its not needed and it might not help. i was told by my ms4 that it helped them alot

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be true. Id recommends peeps to do a second look at their #1 if they really wanna go all out but then again its not needed and it might not help. i was told by my ms4 that it helped them alot

I really wouldn’t recommend a second look unless there’s a very specific reason for it, rather than just trying to show extra interest. Most places I interviewed at didn’t even offer second looks. It’s one thing to do a four week rotation at a program, it’s another to come back on a second look for one day when the vast majority of people who interview don’t do this. It could also potentially hurt you.

In terms of the discussion of sending an LOI to your #1, it probably doesn’t make much of a difference if at all, but this is program dependent. I think a lot of applicants send one just so that if you don’t match at your #1, you aren’t thinking “man, what if I had sent an LOI”. Probably wouldn’t have made a difference, but at least gives you some comfort knowing you did everything possible to try and match there.

And I wouldnt send the LOI to more than one program. Never know what PDs are friends and you don’t want to send it to your #1 and #2, not match to either, and then be thinking to yourself “what if they somehow found out and that’s why I didn’t match to either one”. At least that would be my fear

Do a second look if you're having a tough time deciding between programs and you want to get some more perspectives from current residents and attendings. It is a lot easier to make a mistake than it is to make a good impression so do yourself a favor and don't waste your time or money.

Any thoughts on BU's program? I noticed no one filled out that interview impression

Anyone knows how much Partners or NY Presbyterian charges for health insurance premiums? Free? Spousal coverage?

I am not sure if this is a strange request, but could people post programs that sent a favorable response to our love letters that we sent to our respective #1 program?

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the Yale residency; they seem really good for research but I hear mixed things clinically...

Really dumb mistake and ensuing dumb question
Finally logged into MyEras after the longest time (to copy and paste program NRMP codes and verify them) and I realized 2 of the programs that I interviewed at I FORGOT to apply to the advanced spots. I added them just now. Should I email the programs to let them know? Call? Anyone has experience with this?

Really dumb mistake and ensuing dumb question
Finally logged into MyEras after the longest time (to copy and paste program NRMP codes and verify them) and I realized 2 of the programs that I interviewed at I FORGOT to apply to the advanced spots. I added them just now. Should I email the programs to let them know? Call? Anyone has experience with this?
They would probably consider you for both types of positions regardless, I would not be too worried about it

What happens if you want to swap with some other program after you match? Are the contracts we sign with the program "at will employment" or is it a 4-year binding contract?

It seems you can "trade" starting PGY2 from things I've read, if someone wants your spot and you want theirs, but honestly not sure how it works
from my understanding if you match categorical you can swap pgy2, but if its adv you must swap pgy 3. each institution has given you a 1 year contract that binds you. Its best to ask a program director, we are just randoms on the internet

It seems you can "trade" starting PGY2 from things I've read, if someone wants your spot and you want theirs, but honestly not sure how it works

You cannot just trade spots into a program. Everything would have to be based on the new program accepting you as a transfer.

Anyone get any post interview communication from MUSC this year?

Anybody get weird insecure vibes from UT Southwestern? I got asked how their program/interview day/dinner compared to other programs I'd been to like 2-3 different times throughout the interview day. Even got asked in one of my interviews to, without naming any names, compare their program to other places I had been.

Also had 3 different people (1 faculty, 2 residents, 1 of which was the tour guide) ask who all in the group had heard that they were a workhorse program (queue everyone in the group raising their hands), followed by "we work hard, but we've started taking less call and it's getting better".

Anybody get weird insecure vibes from UT Southwestern? I got asked how their program/interview day/dinner compared to other programs I'd been to like 2-3 different times throughout the interview day. Even got asked in one of my interviews to, without naming any names, compare their program to other places I had been.

Also had 3 different people (1 faculty, 2 residents, 1 of which was the tour guide) ask who all in the group had heard that they were a workhorse program (queue everyone in the group raising their hands), followed by "we work hard, but we've started taking less call and it's getting better".
Didn't interview there but I am glad to hear that programs are just as insecure as I am. Would have been a good match!

Reactions: 4 users

I think it's natural for people to wonder how they stack up to their peers. IMO it's weird if their interview day sucks and they don't ask because it means they don't care to make it better. I only know a little about the places I interviewed at and my knowledge is a few years out of date. Since then there have been PD and chair changes with resultant changes in culture, some for the better and others for the worse.

Can anyone give advice about this situation?

I sent a LOI email to the PD and chairman at my top program. I got a reply “thank you” from the chairman. One minute later I got an email from the chairman saying “do we want him?”— clearly intended to sent it to the PD. Should I answer his email and let him know he sent it to me accidentally or just let it go? I don’t want to live with regret if I don’t match here worrying the PD never saw this and glanced over it, even though he was a recipient of my original LOI email. Thoughts?

Reactions: 10 users

I sent a LOI email to the PD and chairman at my top program. I got a reply “thank you” from the chairman. One minute later I got an email from the chairman saying “do we want him?”— clearly intended to sent it to the PD. Should I answer his email and let him know he sent it to me accidentally or just let it go? I don’t want to live with regret if I don’t match here worrying the PD never saw this and glanced over it, even though he was a recipient of my original LOI email. Thoughts?
Just email back with "Absolutely, great candidate!"

Reactions: 18 users

IRL I think I would respond to this email with some sort of comment like “I don’t think this email was intended for me, but to answer the question, yes he’s awesome, I think you do want him!”

Sent from my iPad using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
IRL I think I would respond to this email with some sort of comment like “I don’t think this email was intended for me, but to answer the question, yes he’s awesome, I think you do want him!”

Sent from my iPad using SDN
How receptive are PDs to light-hearted jokes? Nothing inappropriate. I got one of those 'We love you, please keep us in mind when you prepare your rank list" email, I wrote a response back saying 'thank you with a small joke relating to some of the jokes that the PD made during the interview day.' After I sent it I felt like I might have earned myself a DNR. The PD seems like a really cool guy though, made a lot of jokes during the interview day and they are hilarious.

Oh well, time to read up on the SOAP process

For those who got CS scores back...Obviously re-sending it via ERAS asap is gonna happen. My question is whether I should e-mail programs to let them know that the score is in and updated (all programs, only my top, none, etc.).

Thoughts? I'd hate to have them assume it's not gonna be in and to miss out on updating them and saving my a**.

So guys, I had a great time at my home program interviewing, sent them recently that LOI telling them they're my number one/my-ride-or-die/XOXO, and they replied with a very vague response that almost sounded like "uh, thanks ... hope we both get what we want! #thankunext #sorrynotsorry" ... I only have 5 programs to rank (some cat/adv, so really something like 7-8, but 5 institutions) ... any idea if this is something to somehow bring up to my home program?

It's really funny to watch you guys stress over the response to emails that you were told not to send

Reactions: 12 users