Official 2018-2019 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More encouragement

US IMG
240/250
4 pubs
15 abstracts/posters
Good/top residency
30 offers
Matched # 3
Apply broadly - send emails late in cycle to places you are competive at that are out of your geographic region

Here is the advice (I wouldn’t change anything) go to a residency in the geographic region of preference - the bias is real especially in tiers of programs.

Word hard. Be a good co resident - they read the PD letters - helping people out goes a long way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Congratulations to those who matched last year. I will be applying this year and just wanted to gauge my chances based on the profiles of those who matched, all things being equal

IMG/Green card
MPH
USMLE Step 1 and 2: 230s, Step 3: 222. CS passed at one attempt.
Com. Hosp. Residency. Graduated 2017
13 publications so far {8 original research(3 of them as first author) and 5 case reports}
3 more manuscripts under review
12 poster presentations (ACP, ACG, AASLD, DDW)
Currently working as hospitalist at a university
Letters most likely coming from 2 GI attendings and 2 IM attendings.

What are my chances of getting into GI? Any insights on what more I could work on or emphasize in the next few months prior to application and during the cycle will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

Congratulations to those who matched last year. I will be applying this year and just wanted to gauge my chances based on the profiles of those who matched, all things being equal

IMG/Green card
MPH
13 publications so far {8 original research(3 of them as first author) and 5 case reports}

What are my chances of getting into GI? Any insights on what more I could work on or emphasize in the next few months prior to application and during the cycle will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Its hard to say. If you have 8 original research publications (i.e. manuscripts) with 3 as first author, that is very impressive and more than the average applicant. However, since you are an IMG from a community residency, you have to apply to a lot of places to maximize your chances. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the GI department at your university, if you do not, I suggest getting to know them quite well. Allow them to see what you can offer them, especially from a research perspective.

Hello all,

IMG/Green card
MPH

Looking back at the forum with the number of interviews most applicants get, you should be fine. Unless you have any major drawbacks in your profile, I would guess you should easily get 10+ interviews.