Official 2018-2019 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Person wanted to be here>>> Ended up here, its 3 years, get it done and get out

That's one way of looking at it. But if a program knows you will rank them 1st they can always risk ranking you lower and go for the other candidates who they deem even more competitive. You would serve as a good safety net.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here with knowledge willing to provide some pros/cons about New York Presbyterian Methodist Brooklyn? the website is not very helpful. thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the match date will be this year. AGA says that it will be Nov 28 while ERAS says that it will be in Dec?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here with knowledge willing to provide some pros/cons about New York Presbyterian Methodist Brooklyn? the website is not very helpful. thanks

Yes, I am curious as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

When is a good time to email our top program that they are our #1? I worry that I will write an email too late because I know several programs have already created their rank list. Maybe within the next week?

Thanks!

Just do not burn bridges, most of these places you interview for will end up being potential employers at the end of your residency.
If a place is your number one be sincere, if not no need to tell them they are your number one.

When is a good time to email our top program that they are our #1? I worry that I will write an email too late because I know several programs have already created their rank list. Maybe within the next week?

Thanks!
When you are done with all your interviews and your create rank list. Any benefit of telling a program they are #1 is not as great as potential harm in misleading about that. GI is a small world (especially in academics), a lot smaller than IM, and it can really hurt you in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to start a new topic for number of candidates per spot that I know. This is mainly to keep the record for the future candidates.

By Alphabet
1. Baystate: 40 per 2
2. U of Mississippi : 20 per 1

Just want to start a new topic for number of candidates per spot that I know. This is mainly to keep the record for the future candidates.

By Alphabet
1. Baystate: 40 per 2
2. U of Mississippi : 20 per 1

Please do this in a separate thread.
Also no point or advantage for doing this. Since the real number of invites is not important, is the number the program will rank. A program can invite 10 people for 1 position, but rank 4 or rank 7. Not everyone who interviews get ranked (the Big majority of the programs do not rank every candidate). But please start a new thread on this matter and questions can be answered to why they will not rank some candidates (Not being a good fit is one reason.......many many other reasons also).

If anyone can help me in picking and ranking top 10 programs from below.

1. Mayo Clinic Florida.
2. Uni of Utah
3. Baystate
4. Henry Ford Hospital
5. Medical College of Georgia Augusta
6. Prividence Hospital Mishigan
7. UT Houston.
8. Uni of Missouri Columbia
9. Medical College of wisconsin
10. Rutgers university New Jersey
11. UF Jacksonville.
12. University of New Mexico.
13. Uni of Buffalo
14. University of Pittsburg Medical Center.
15. Unuversity of Tennessee
16. Case Western Metro Health
17. Cleveland Clinic Florida
18. UTMB Galveston
19. Baylor University Dallas.
20. Baylor College Houston.
21. University of Toledo

1. Mayo Clinic Florida.
2. Uni of Utah
3. Baystate
4. Henry Ford Hospital
7. UT Houston.
11. UF Jacksonville.
13. Uni of Buffalo
18. UTMB Galveston
21. University of Toledo

UPMC
Baylor Houston
UT Houston
Baylor Dallas
Mayo Florida
CCF Florida
Henry Ford
Baystate

1. Mayo Clinic Florida.
2. Uni of Utah
3. Baystate
4. Henry Ford Hospital
7. UT Houston.
11. UF Jacksonville.
13. Uni of Buffalo
18. UTMB Galveston
21. University of Toledo
Train in the region you want to live/practice in the future unless you have a good reason not to.

Would consider Utah up there as well especially if you want to do advanced endoscopy.
It depends on your career goal. If you want to have an advanced endoscopy exposure or want to go for private practice later on, Mayo Florida might give you a lot less number. The upside is you will get a lot of perks for attending conferences. If you are an IMG, it's going to be very challenging for them to retain you there and you will be having a hard time competing with other candidates (with experience in advanced endoscope) for a job in private practice.

Location wise, I will not rank Baystate highly. The hospital is in MA, but majority residents/fellows live in CT. That tells you something about the city.

Not sure about Pittsburg, but TX, in general, has a lot more demands for GI than many states + high-income potential without state income tax. It's much easier to find a job there if you finish the fellowship in TX. From your list, if other factors are about the same, I would go for TX.

My top 5 are:
  • Baylor College Houston
  • University of Pittsburg Medical Center
  • Baylor University Dallas
  • Uni of Utah
  • Henry Ford Hospital

pick where you want to live and practice in the future (also consider future residency/ advance fellowship if you are interested).
[I am assuming you are from PA or PA program since most IMGs from strong PA programs get this much IVs with lots of research under their belts]

University of Pittsburg Medical Center
Baylor University Dallas.
Baylor College Houston.
University of Tennessee
Uni of Utah
University of Toledo
Uni of Buffalo
Uni of Missouri Columbia
The University of New Mexico.
UF Jacksonville.
Mayo Clinic Florida.

How would you rank

Henry Ford
Ut San Antonio
Ut houston
ccf
Oschner Clinic
Utmb
Baystate
Providence Michigan

Having tough time comparing UT Houston and San Antonio

Last edited:
How would you rank

Henry Ford
Ut San Antonio
Ut houston
ccf
Oschner Clinic
Utmb
Baystate
Providence Michigan

UT Houston
UT San Antonio
CCF
Oschner Clinic
Henry Ford
UTMB
Baystate
Providence Michigan

UT Houston
UT San Antonio
CCF
Oschner Clinic
UTMB
Baystate
Henry Ford
Providence Michigan

It depends on your career goal. If you want to have an advanced endoscopy exposure or want to go for private practice later on, Mayo Florida might give you a lot less number. The upside is you will get a lot of perks for attending conferences. If you are an IMG, it's going to be very challenging for them to retain you there and you will be having a hard time competing with other candidates (with experience in advanced endoscope) for a job in private practice.

Location wise, I will not rank Baystate highly. The hospital is in MA, but majority residents/fellows live in CT. That tells you something about the city.

Not sure about Pittsburg, but TX, in general, has a lot more demands for GI than many states + high-income potential without state income tax. It's much easier to find a job there if you finish the fellowship in TX. From your list, if other factors are about the same, I would go for TX.

My top 5 are:
  • Baylor College Houston
  • University of Pittsburg Medical Center
  • Baylor University Dallas
  • Uni of Utah
  • Henry Ford Hospital
Baylor Houston has malignant call schedule They are on call every other day during weekdays. That’s at least 104 calls during first year.

How would you rank

Henry Ford
Ut San Antonio
Ut houston
ccf
Oschner Clinic
Utmb
Baystate
Providence Michigan

CCF you mean Cleveland clinic main campus? Or Florida? If it is main campus is the strongest by far in that list; specially if you are interested in IBD.

Please help me rank the following!
any insight or rationale as to why would be greatly appreciated!

UCSD
Scripps
Kaiser-SF
UCSF-Fresno
University of New Mexico
University of Illinois-Chicago
University of Missouri-Kansas City
University of Tennessee
University of Kentucky
Maimonides
New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist

Anyone have insight on University of Miami, Georgetown, and VCU programs? How would you rank? Thanks

What are your thoughts on UT Houston? I've heard some really bad things
Their interview day for me was a complete calamity. Tried to interview about 40-50 people in one day and did a very poor job. Made for a long day that IMO made them look pretty bad. Interviews seemed awkward and didn’t get a strong feeling that the faculty cared a ton about the fellows but once again just me. All that being said i think the training is probably quite good between all their sites and they look pretty busy. Probably pretty well suited for private practice job with all the clinical exposure but noted weakness is the lack of strong name pedigree and faculty active in research which will make getting into academics a little more difficult. The fellows that were there were quite normal and easy to talk to.

Does anybody have insight into Hofstra/Northwell? It’s also called North Shore University Hospital/Long Island Jewish.

Anyone have strong feelings about UPMC vs CWRU UH program? I'm having difficulty ranking one above the other.

Any thoughts on ranking the following, and why please

University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Arkansas
University of Arizona/Phoenix (Banner)
Case Western/Metrohealth
Lahey clinic
Baystate
New York Presbyterian Methodist Brooklyn

Thanks

Any thoughts on ranking the following, and why please

University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Arkansas
University of Arizona/Phoenix (Banner)
Case Western/Metrohealth
Lahey clinic
Baystate

Thanks

1. University of Louisville
2. University of Kentucky
3. University of Arizona/Phoenix (Banner)
(top 3 can go in any order)
4. Lahey Clinic ( based on prestige brand name alone)
5. Case Western/Metrohealth (mid tier at best. Did a rotation here. If you are into Motility this would be a good place. Fass is an authority on the topic and does a lot of research. There may be a an overall 'inferiority complex' vibe going on that develops when living under the CCF and CWRU shadow (although i must say their ED/Trauma is top in the city). Politics in that place is a little odd, but then again that may be the case with most places.)
6. University of Arkansas

7. Baystate

*interviewing at NYP Brooklyn Methodist later this month, will update once I get a feel for the program

Last edited:
Interesting. Care to explain why a landslide?

UPMC is the bigger, better and more prestigious program imho.
I can only see someone ranking it lower if they prefer a less busy program. It is my just my subjective opinion though. I feel CCF is more comparable to UPMC and even then I would rank UPMC higher.
Also, CWRU are taking only one fellow this year. But honestly you would be set in either program

Please help me rank the following!
any insight or rationale as to why would be greatly appreciated!

UCSD
Scripps
Kaiser-SF
UCSF-Fresno
University of New Mexico
University of Tennessee
University of Kentucky
Maimonides

Based on personal subjectivity, perceived prestige, geographical bias etc.

UCSD
Scripps
University of Kentucky
University of New Mexico
Kaiser-SF
University of Tennessee
UCSF-Fresno
Maimonides

*interviewing at NYP Brooklyn Methodist later this month, will update once I get a feel for the program

Last edited:
Help please ranking the following programs:
Uni of Minnesota
MedStar Georgetown Uni
Uni of Texas at Houston
UTMB
Uni of Missouri-Columbia
Cleveland Clinic Florida
UCSF Fresno
Mount Saini at Elmhurst

1. University of Louisville
2. University of Kentucky
3. University of Arizona/Phoenix (Banner)
(top 3 can go in any order)
4. Lahey Clinic ( based on prestige brand name alone)
5. Case Western/Metrohealth (mid tier at best. Did a rotation here. If you are into Motility this would be a good place. Fass is an authority on the topic and does a lot of research. There may be a an overall 'inferiority complex' vibe going on that develops when living under the CCF and CWRU shadow (although i must say their ED/Trauma is top in the city). Politics in that place is a little odd, but then again that may be the case with most places.)
6. University of Arkansas

7. Baystate

Thank you!
Would you able to tell any differences between University of Louisville and University of Kentucky?

Based on personal subjectivity, perceived prestige, geographical bias etc.

UCSD
Scripps
University of Kentucky
University of New Mexico
Kaiser-SF
University of Tennessee
UCSF-Fresno
Maimonides

Do you have any insight on Scripps program besides the geographical bias?

Hey guys,
How would you advise me on ranking the following if geography is no issue at all and IBD is a potential interest

Mount Sinai
Mayo Rochester
University of Maryland / NIH
Cedars Sinai

Thanks and best of luck in the match!

UPMC Versus Baylor Houston which one is better ?

Utah Versus Medical College of Wisconsin which one is better ?

Baylor Dallas Versus Henry Ford which one is better ?

Can someone help ranking below ones

1. Saint Louis University Missouri
2. University of Tennessee Memphis
3. University of New Mexico
4. UTMB Galveston
5. UT Houston

Appreciate any help.