Official 2018-2019 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShiShiMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that Time again.

Please post your comments, credentials, and visa status (If you desire).

Best of luck to all who apply this year, and we wish the best for you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can Moderators please make this a sticky thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I want to apply to GI fellowship 2019 in coming July. What do you think is my chance of matching?

IMG
USMLE 1/2/3: 223/233/208, all first attempt
IM residency program - University affiliated community hospital in 2013
MPH degree Univ of Washongton
Green card holder
Working as academic hospitalist
publications: 1 paper as third author, 1 paper as first author at CGH, 1 paper as second author
publications submitted: 1 paper first author, 1 paper as co-author
oral presentation: 1 (not Gi related)
posters and abstracts in conferences around 10

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I want to apply to GI fellowship 2019 in coming July. What do you think is my chance of matching?

IMG
USMLE 1/2/3: 223/233/208, all first attempt
IM residency program - University affiliated community hospital in 2013
MPH degree Univ of Washongton
Green card holder
Working as academic hospitalist
publications: 1 paper as third author, 1 paper as first author at CGH, 1 paper as second author
publications submitted: 1 paper first author, 1 paper as co-author
oral presentation: 1 (not Gi related)
posters and abstracts in conferences around 10

Thank you
Realistically speaking, not good.

IMG, low board scores, little research, community hospital.

You do not have much going for you.

Best of luck, but have a back up plan.

Realistically speaking, not good.

IMG, low board scores, little research, community hospital.

You do not have much going for you.

Best of luck, but have a back up plan.

Thank you for your input. What do you recommend to make my chance higher?

DO
Chief resident at a large community hospital.
Step I and II scores in the 240's. Did not take step III (took COMLEX instead).
One poster presented at ACP.
One poster completed and ready to be presented (hopefully a GI conference)
Two large research projects in process.

Just change what you can.

Letters from nationally (preferably internationally) known GI doctors

More research (preferably first author) publications in top GI journals

your MPH helps

chances highest at the University affiliation. Try to make as many allies there as you can.

DO

Mediocre at best.

Chief resident and good Step scores help but you have many strikes against you:
DO
No step 3 (why you didn't take USMLE step 3 is beyond me, they are looking for this)
Posters are low level research at best...

My advice:
- Apply to many programs (80+), focusing on community programs and rural/undesirable locations -- do not waste money on any competitive program.
- Make sure somebody who can write well in English reviews your application and personal statement and confirms that it is impeccable.
- Ask anyone of importance that knows you (MPH professors from UW, gastroenterologists at your institution, etc.) to make phone calls for you to the program directors at the places that interview you or places at which you are competitive but have not been invited to interview yet.
- Reach out to the program director for GI fellowship where you trained for residency (assuming there is a fellowship) and let them know that you'd love to train there. Have someone important from the institution who knew you in residency call them and vouch for you.
- Go to every interview you get.

Thank you for making this thread so all of us can benefit.

I'm currently in an ABIM research pathway (starting PGY-2 soon), and I will be applying for GI fellowship this year. I have several questions:
1. Do I have to contact each individual program to inform my status in ABIM research pathway? Or do I simply apply to those programs?
2. For ABIM research track, do most programs do 1.5 years clinical first, follow by 2.5 years research later?
Thank you, and any comments are highly appreciated!

My advice:
- Apply to many programs (80+), focusing on community programs and rural/undesirable locations -- do not waste money on any competitive program.
- Make sure somebody who can write well in English reviews your application and personal statement and confirms that it is impeccable.
- Ask anyone of importance that knows you (MPH professors from UW, gastroenterologists at your institution, etc.) to make phone calls for you to the program directors at the places that interview you or places at which you are competitive but have not been invited to interview yet.
- Reach out to the program director for GI fellowship where you trained for residency (assuming there is a fellowship) and let them know that you'd love to train there. Have someone important from the institution who knew you in residency call them and vouch for you.
- Go to every interview you get.
I appreciate your advice. Very helpful. Thank you so much.

Thank you for making this thread so all of us can benefit.

I'm currently in an ABIM research pathway (starting PGY-2 soon), and I will be applying for GI fellowship this year. I have several questions:
1. Do I have to contact each individual program to inform my status in ABIM research pathway? Or do I simply apply to those programs?
I hate to be pedantic (actually, that's a lie, I love being pedantic), but, until/unless you have a PGY3 fellowship spot in the bag, you're not "in an ABIM research pathway", you are "shooting to be in the ABIM research pathway".

I too did an unliked ABIM research pathway although my IM PD was well aware of it (and supportive), as was the home fellowship PD. But, to answer your first question, yes, you need to tell every program that you apply to that you want to be considered for a research pathway spot. You will also likely have to explain the research pathway to at least half of your interviewers though. It's not a deal breaker or anything...just annoying.

All but 1 of the places I interviewed at was on board/supportive. I didn't even rank that one.

Reactions: 3 users
DO

Also, apply to the DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, would love some realistic feedback/advice on my chances:

US Graduate
USMLE 1/2/3: 229/241/Pending results
IM residency program: Large university affiliated community hospital
PGY-2 currently
Publications: 1 first author, 1 fourth author, 2 under review as first author
Oral presentation: 1 at DDW
Abstracts/posters at conferences: 5
LORs: 1 internationally known Hepatologist, 1 nationally known GI/Hepatologist

Reactions: 2 users
Ok...so I've been reading these threads off and on for a while and I see ppl provide there data and then ppl provide comment and its usually not terribly optimistic.

I applied a couple of years ago into a GI with a few strikes against me similar to some of the other applicants mentioned above. I didn't go to a top tier residency and I didn't have a 240+ board scores. I applied with the hope I would just match anywhere. To my surprise I ended up matching at a top 10 program and got interviews at similar/peer institutions and was even recruited at several after interviews. My jaw dropped on match day. I was no stellar applicant. I had some strong research but I tried to compose my application in way that was honest and communicated my future goals clearly. I also didn't shy away from weakness on my application at interviews when asked and tried to show how I had improved or grown from any setbacks....I'm at the end of my first year, I love my career choice, and I think I'm good fellow and want to encourage anyone interested in applying to be realistic but also be optimistic. I almost didn't apply to the program I ended up matching at, but I was given some encouragement at the last minute...you will never know if you don't try

ok off my soap box...ha

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Ok...so I've been reading these threads off and on for a while and I see ppl provide there data and then ppl provide comment and its usually not terribly optimistic.

I applied a couple of years ago into a GI with a few strikes against me similar to some of the other applicants mentioned above. I didn't go to a top tier residency and I didn't have a 240+ board scores. I applied with the hope I would just match anywhere. To my surprise I ended up matching at a top 10 program and got interviews at similar/peer institutions and was even recruited at several after interviews. My jaw dropped on match day. I was no stellar applicant. I had some strong research but I tried to compose my application in way that was honest and communicated my future goals clearly. I also didn't shy away from weakness on my application at interviews when asked and tried to show how I had improved or grown from any setbacks....I'm at the end of my first year, I love my career choice, and I think I'm good fellow and want to encourage anyone interested in applying to be realistic but also be optimistic. I almost didn't apply to the program I ended up matching at, but I was given some encouragement at the last minute...you will never know if you don't try

ok off my soap box...ha

I appreciate this post.

ok off my soap box...ha

See the bolded. That’s the difference. It’s not easy to get strong research. The other stuff you mentioned is purely for screening purposes. You excelled where it clearly mattered most after making it past the cutoffs.

Hi..
I am an IMG with mediocre scores.
Green card holder
Residency from a community hospital with PGY-4 Chief 2013
Have >25 GI publications mostly lit reviews and retrospective research, almost all as first author. >30 GI abstracts almost all in ACG. I have worked hard in research to compensate for my scores.
Any suggestion on how to jump the hoop of low scores to get an interview espcecially when most PDs use USMLE score filters in ERAS

I was trying to search for/apply to Cornell for GI fellowship, but can't seem to find them listed through ERAS. Anyone having similar difficulty?

Hi..
Green card holder
Have >25 GI publications mostly lit reviews and retrospective research, almost all as first author. >30 GI abstracts almost all in ACG. I have worked hard in research to compensate for my scores.
Any suggestion on how to jump the hoop of low scores to get an interview espcecially when most PDs use USMLE score filters in ERAS
What have you been doing for 5 years? I’m going to assume you are at least doing academic medicine. If that’s the cas then your best bet is going internally after speaking with the GI department where you work.

What have you been doing for 5 years? I’m going to assume you are at least doing academic medicine. If that’s the cas then your best bet is going internally after speaking with the GI department where you work.
Thanks for your reply..
I am in academic medicine but no GI department or fellowship at my place.

IMG
250+ Step 1 and Step 2, 249 Step 3
starting my PGY3 year in Internal Medicine at a large semi-prestigious/well known University Hospital
Have green card (no sponsorship needed)
about 20 first author posters/case reports from DDW/ACG
about 3 first author publications in lower ranked GI journals
2 letters of recommendation from faculty at my Hospital's GI program

What are my chances? If I don't match this year, what should I focus on over the next year?

Hi everyone,

US IMG
Mid-tier university program with chief year
USMLE 240+
1 publication, first author
1 oral presentation
6 abstracts (national ACP, local ACP, ACG, one international conference)
3 LORs from GI department including current PD and one from previous PD

Planing on applying broadly (100+, excluding ), any feedback would be great.

Hi everyone,

US IMG
Mid-tier university program with chief year
USMLE 240+
1 publication, first author
1 oral presentation
6 abstracts (national ACP, local ACP, ACG, one international conference)
3 LORs from GI department including current PD and one from previous PD

Planing on applying broadly (100+, excluding ), any feedback would be great.

Your credentials and strategy are solid, provided there are no red flags, and your sights are not set on the highest 'tier' programs, I imagine you will get a good number of interviews and match. Advice I have is really just general: attend and prep strongly for all interviews, let the program that would be your number one know that, use research connections to your advantage. Finally, despite all that, your best chance is internally if your home program has a GI fellowship, so really play upto that. While this isn't a fellowship match piece of advice, try to knock out boards, its a pain to do while in fellowship.

Hi..
Green card holder
You need your faculty to reach out to programs petitioning on your behalf, can do it yourself as well, understanding it might help or might hurt, good luck

Hi..
Can anyone can help: where to add the submitted abstracts in the ERAS (eg. for ACG 2018)

Last edited:
Hi..
Can anyone can help: where to add the submitted abstracts in the ERAS (eg. for ACG 2018)

Abstract/ Presentation - Not published (If the option is available) <-- this is since ACG abstracts all get published in the OCT/NOV Journal of ACG/GIE (Special Edition)

What I did was, I did not include it in the ERAS-CAF but I did add it in the experience section and stated I have submitted to the ACG meeting. and give a full description of the project. But many put it since all abstract regardless of acceptance get published as I stated above.

Abstract/ Presentation - Not published (If the option is available) <-- this is since ACG abstracts all get published in the OCT/NOV Journal of ACG/GIE (Special Edition)

What I did was, I did not include it in the ERAS-CAF but I did add it in the experience section and stated I have submitted to the ACG meeting. and give a full description of the project. But many put it since all abstract regardless of acceptance get published as I stated above.
Thanks..appreciate it

Hi Everyone
IMG
260+ Step 1 250+ Step 2, 233 Step 3
starting my PGY3 year in Internal Medicine at a large Community/Small University hospital
Have J-1 visa
about 10 Poster presentations at ACG/ACP but not all first, 6 apart from that submitted at this year ACG but don't know where to put them.
about 3 publications, 2 Non GI Journal, 1 GI. Apart from that 2 Accepted, 2 currently ongoing

What are my chances? If I don't match this year, what should I focus on over the next year?

Hi Everyone
IMG
260+ Step 1 250+ Step 2, 233 Step 3
starting my PGY3 year in Internal Medicine at a large Community/Small University hospital
Have J-1 visa
about 10 Poster presentations at ACG/ACP but not all first, 6 apart from that submitted at this year ACG but don't know where to put them.
about 3 publications, 2 Non GI Journal, 1 GI. Apart from that 2 Accepted, 2 currently ongoing

I think your visa and home program are the most critical determinants. Your J1 is actually better than the H1 in this regard. I imagine you will get at least a few interviews as long as you apply as broadly enough. Do not be disheartened, the interviews may come slowly, make the most of them. If unsuccessful, focus on research, working with big names for letters and to go to bat for you, and on making connections to your home university program or work at a center in research or as a hospitalist that will bring you in contact with a GI department who would consider taking you.

Applying this year.

240s/240s/230s/CS-1st attempt
Currently 3rd year in a Middle tier university program
IMG requiring J1
total 8 publications (3 review articles, 1 non-GI study, 4 case reports), 2 case report accepted, 1 meta-analysis requiring revision
2 non-GI oral presentations
9 abstracts in DDW/ACG with only 2 as first author
5 book chapters
LORs from 2 GI docs, 1 PD lor and 1 from dean of secondary affiliated hospital with my program
Input on my chances?

So it appears programs will be contacting applicants after August 1st. Can anyone confirm or does anyone know of any program which has already sent out interviews?
If so please post them here with dates.

AMG -

US-IMG-

IMG-Requiring Visa

Nothing yet, but does anyone know the earliest interview day that has been offered in the past? weddings etc in late august and through september that I am trying to get an idea for the likelyhood I can attend.

Nothing yet, but does anyone know the earliest interview day that has been offered in the past? weddings etc in late august and through september that I am trying to get an idea for the likelyhood I can attend.

I flew from a wedding on Sunday to an interview on Monday, back to home program for on-call (Tues-Wends), flew to another IV Thursday, Friday and had one on a Saturday in one week.

Everything is doable. Majority of IV are scheduled in any week in Sept or Mid Oct. Some in Aug and some after ACG.

Applying this year.

240s/240s/230s/CS-1st attempt
Currently 3rd year in a Middle tier university program
IMG requiring J1
total 8 publications (3 review articles, 1 non-GI study, 4 case reports), 2 case report accepted, 1 meta-analysis requiring revision
2 non-GI oral presentations
9 abstracts in DDW/ACG with only 2 as first author
5 book chapters
LORs from 2 GI docs, 1 PD lor and 1 from dean of secondary affiliated hospital with my program
Input on my chances?

Chances are good, similar to what I said for Gastrograffin above. One thing I would ask is, who is the "dean of secondary affiliated hospital with my program", unless that person is GI or a research mentor don't know how at all that would help. Apply as broadly as your wallet will allow, can't limit yourself as an IMG. Finally, do not be disheartened, the interviews may come slowly, make the most of them.

I had a program as early as end July, as late as a few days before ROL submission. There were a few days that were super popular, which sucked. If you have a program you are particularly interested in, check their website, many list what their IV dates are, or if you know someone there, ask and work your schedule accordingly.

Hello
I just had my article accepted for publication. I don't think i can update that in the ERAS application now. Any other option guys?

Hello
I just had my article accepted for publication. I don't think i can update that in the ERAS application now. Any other option guys?

If it's in a high impact journal or a topic that could stimulate discussion - then I would subtly mention it in the interview.

Any updates on interviews? 2nd time applicant here. Getting a little nervous.

DO

Does your current program have an in-house GI fellowship? If so, that's probably your best bet. Aside from applying extremely broadly, if you are able to, you may want to consider some of the community GI programs like Advocate Lutheran General in Chicago or Lankenau in Philly. Talk to your advisors and mentors, see where they trained, or where they know people, a phone call can go a long way.

Any updates on interviews? 2nd time applicant here. Getting a little nervous.

Its ok to be nervous, but give it some time friend, most PDs haven't even opened up apps and won't for a solid few days/weeks

Hi everyone. I know apps opened up a week ago. I would've submitted first day but had issues with LORs and some family things go on. The LORs are still being uploaded and processed, probably won't be done until Friday/Monday. My dilemma is this which I've spoken to people about:

-Do I submit/certify now and assign my letters when they all come in. Then I call/e-mail programs stating the letters are in which would be a lot of programs as well that I'd have to do this and no guarantees.

-Or should I just wait until all the letters are in and submit everything at once. Which wouldn't be til a bit later but everything is all in.

I've spoken to some coordinators and fellows. I've heard both arguements, just thought I'd see what some of y'all say. Thanks!

AMG -
7/24: Vanderbilt
7/24: UF

US-IMG-
7/17: Oschner Clinic

IMG-Requiring Visa

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a bit on behalf of my fiancé and decided to make an account to help out with interview reporting. He (AMG) got his first interview to Dartmouth this morning!

Good luck everyone, I'm hoping you'll all be drowning in interview offers very soon!

+westchester medical center, UNC

AMG -
7/24: Vanderbilt, UF, Westchester, UNC
7/26: Dartmouth

US-IMG-
7/17: Oschner Clinic

IMG-Requiring Visa

+OHSU

AMG -
7/24: Vanderbilt, UF, Westchester, UNC
7/26: Dartmouth, OHSU