USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely distraught - 1Q, AOA candidate, plenty of publication work just found out my score and ...... 246.

Do I have any shot at a plastic surgery residency now? I am so disappointed.

Well seeing as 50/57 (88%) USMD seniors matched plastic surgery with a step score between 241-250 I would say you're totally screwed :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
USDO here
Step1: 248
How are my Ortho options as a DO student realistically speaking? Thanks yall and congrats on the stellar scores!

Reactions: 2 users
UWorld first pass, entirely untimed on tutor mode: 80% (did maybe a quarter of my incorrects before saying **** it and moving my test up)
NBME 17, 18 and 19: 252
UWSA 1 and 2: 262

Just got my score back at 260. I'm barely holding it together. I was not confident at all after my test. Do I do derm now or IR? Kidding, but really this created more questions than answers.

Very happy to talk to anyone about my process
Many congratulations it's a brilliant score. How did you feel after your exam and what do you think how many did you miss ?

I got a 245-249

Throwaway account for obvious reasons…

I just want to send this message to the other DO students out there taking Step 1… YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO THIS THING! Little bit of my background: I go to a newer DO school in the southeast, and I strongly believe you can crush this test even if you are an average student at your school. I did horrible on the MCAT (<29 lol, like many DO students) but if you’re in this boat with me just know that the MCAT ultimately does not define your potential for Step. I started studying for Step1 in Dec-Jan alongside my courses, then hit dedicated hard for 9ish weeks before taking the test in mid June…here’s my breakdown:

NBME Form 15: 236 (8 weeks out)

UWorld First pass: 72%

UWSA1: 249 (7 weeks out)

NBME 16: 250 (5 weeks out)

NBME 17: 236 (4 weeks out)

NBME 18: 234 (2.5 weeks out) (the downward trend was kind of freaking me out, but to be honest I was okay with getting this score on the real thing so I wasn’t that bummed)

UWorld Second pass: 88%

UWSA2: 258 (8 days out)

Free 120 (at Prometric, 4 days out): 89%

Uworld was probably the most helpful resource for me, and I would strongly advise to do it twice and read all the explanations. A lot of what you read on UW shows up on the real thing in some form or another. I went through first aid about 3-4 times per chapter over the last 2 years. Did pathoma twice or three times depending on the chapter (once as I was learning the topic in class, and at least once during dedicated), Rx and Kaplan Qbanks sporadically (both were incomplete, maybe totaling about 2000 questions). Sketchy micro was low-ish yield for me surprisingly because I didn’t have much micro on my form. Sketchy pharm was great though. I thought Physeo was phenomenal and I would highly recommend it if you struggle with physiology like I did.

Biochem was very low yield for me. Honestly I think Step is getting to the point where Biostats and Ethics should maybe take precedence over biochem in terms of amount of time studying for those.

If you are a DO student just remember to have full confidence in your abilities and you can do well - and I know there are plenty of people (DO and MD) out there that did better than me and are going to do better than me... but try not to compare yourself too much to others and you'll be happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
225 here. Kinda bummed as I was hoping for 235+. Is it still possible for me to match into EM? I am US MD. Also I am almost halfway through my first internal medicine rotation but don't feel like it is going well :( anyone have any advice?

USDO here
Step1: 248
How are my Ortho options as a DO student realistically speaking? Thanks yall and congrats on the stellar scores!

At that point its probably going to come down to the rest of your app.

How are my general surgery options as a DO student with a 236?

Pretty solid, see the charting outcomes for osteopathic students and reach out to current DO surgery residents at traditional ACGME programs. You have a fantastic chance at former AOA programs from what I've seen, and a solid chance at the traditional MD programs.

Congrats on the great scores guys, seeing all you guys kill is getting me pumped for 2nd year to start lol

Last edited by a moderator:
240. Lower than my last 3 practice tests :/ I know it's probably a solid score for most specialties, but I'm really hoping for ophtho. Do you guys think optho will be possible with a 240?

Congrats on passing and trust me I would love to achieve close to where you scored. Would love to briefly hear your resources used and how long your dedicated was? Thank you!

Yes of course. And thank you. Honestly, I am completely aware people will do worse that what I scored. I was just expecting my score to be closer to a 230 since my last practice scores were more around that, and many people said they score the same or better than NBMEs. Anyway, I'm sad but its not the worst case scenario obviously! I studied for 6 weeks because thats all my school gives us to study. Some manage to drag it out 8 weeks but I felt like 6 was plenty. I read first aid in depth ONCE, then did a detailed review of my weak subjects and pharm. I did pathoma once during second year with my classes and then I did pathoma twice during dedicated and I did Uworld 1.5x and every NBME/practice test. That was it. Oh.... and I did SketchyMicro and some of SketchyPath. I had a very weak base but was very happy with how I jumped from a 205 baseline to a 230 by the end of 6 weeks. I wish that momentum would have stayed with me.

I don't think 4 points from your practice test average is an outlier. You'll be fine for IM!

Hey yeah I mean 4 points from my lower end test scores isn't that bad but two weeks before and 4 days before I was scoring 230 or slightly better. My 221 was 4 weeks out. I feel like I am more or less an outlier/unlucky because I was scoring 12 points higher at the end and MOST people claim they score their last NBME or higher. Either way, I know its not the worst score.... but it certainly is not a good score.

240. Lower than my last 3 practice tests :/ I know it's probably a solid score for most specialties, but I'm really hoping for ophtho. Do you guys think optho will be possible with a 240?

According to the optho people at my school, a 240 would be fine, especially for some "lower tier" places. I was very interested in optho until I got my score today. I have no chance in hell but you still definitely do! 2 people from my school made in the upper 230s and got residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
pulling for ya, @RaginMD !
Thank you so much. Now that I've sat and stared at my score I still feel horrible but I know it is what it is. There were some slightly competitive things I was considering that are now definitely out the window but its not so bad. The main reason I wanted a higher score was because I'm trying to get into the same program my boyfriend is at who is a year ahead.... and he did very well so he might end up some where that will be out of reach for me. I'm just going to have to get some research in and kill it on my 3 years grades and STEP2

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the score, any idea how many you think you missed walking out?

no idea, felt horrible, as do most people. flagged about half the test, but that's pretty typical for me. i flagged about the same number as my uworld blocks, and i was getting around 80% on uworld towards the end, but truly have no idea what my raw percent was

Yes of course. And thank you. Honestly, I am completely aware people will do worse that what I scored. I was just expecting my score to be closer to a 230 since my last practice scores were more around that, and many people said they score the same or better than NBMEs. Anyway, I'm sad but its not the worst case scenario obviously! I studied for 6 weeks because thats all my school gives us to study. Some manage to drag it out 8 weeks but I felt like 6 was plenty. I read first aid in depth ONCE, then did a detailed review of my weak subjects and pharm. I did pathoma once during second year with my classes and then I did pathoma twice during dedicated and I did Uworld 1.5x and every NBME/practice test. That was it. Oh.... and I did SketchyMicro and some of SketchyPath. I had a very weak base but was very happy with how I jumped from a 205 baseline to a 230 by the end of 6 weeks. I wish that momentum would have stayed with me.

Hey yeah I mean 4 points from my lower end test scores isn't that bad but two weeks before and 4 days before I was scoring 230 or slightly better. My 221 was 4 weeks out. I feel like I am more or less an outlier/unlucky because I was scoring 12 points higher at the end and MOST people claim they score their last NBME or higher. Either way, I know its not the worst score.... but it certainly is not a good score.

Hang tough. That is not a bad score and many many doors should
Be open for you.

Long time lurker of this thread and SDN, and getting my score back today pushed me to finally make an account and post.

My goal score: 240
ACTUAL: 246!!!!!

Trajectory:
NBME 13- 200 (3/31)--> before I really started studying
CBSE- 215 (4/18)
NBME 15- 217 (5/4)
NBME 16- 215 (5/11)
NBME 17- 228 (5/17)--> not super thrilled about this score but hopeful that my trajectory would keep going up
NBME 18- 225 (5/24) --> pretty down this day.
UWSA 1- 247 (5/27)--> i knew this over predicted, so I didn't put too much stock in it
NBME 19- 219 (5/31) ---> at this point I was almost certain I would not make my goal.
Free 120- 81% (6/2)
UWSA 2- 251 (6/4)
Real Step 1: 246 (6/7)

Studying: I pretty much only did UFAPS to study + a little B&B for biochem. Did 1 round of Pathoma and Sketchy micro & pharm heavily during M1/M2 with the curriculum and did a second round during dedicated. Finished all of Uworld with 71% correct first round, and got through about 1/3 of my incorrects

I can not believe my score! Based on my practice tests I was expecting low 230s/high 220s, hoping for above a 235. I am here to say that NBME averages aren't always predictive. My average was a 217, which means i outscored it by 29 points! So if you are still studying or are prepping to study for Step 1, remember that there are always outliers. Don't let NBMEs or anything else get you down! Study hard, follow a schedule that works for you, and then trust in all the information you know.

Congrats to everyone who passed today!

YOU GIVE ME HOPE.

Goal: 230

UWorld 1st pass (random, untimed): 70%

NBME 13: 186
UWSA1: 228
NBME 15: 207
NBME 16: 234
NBME 17: 219
NBME 18: 223
UWSA 2: 232
NBME 19: 219
Free 120: 83%

Real deal (6/22): 241!

Yoooo, these past couple days I was so worried that I failed or that I barely passed with something in the low 200s all because I left the test feeling pretty alright. But here I am, with a score that beats all my practice scores (and is even higher than what I was aiming for)! :)

Reactions: 6 users
211. Heartbroken. But im glad I passed i guess.

But for real feeling like I screwed myself for any decent residency

Last edited:
>270. Took the test on 6/12. I never got an email but the score report was up on the NBME site when I refreshed it at 11 am. I will try to get a write up done soon when I have more time.
Incredible score! Over a hundred people posted their score on reddit, but the highest was 269 haha. Any idea how many you got wrong. And I know it's an obnoxious question, but how did you do on the MCAT?

Doing this write up to pay it forward. I looked at this thread and last years thread to calm my nerves while waiting for the scores to be released. Used Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, Uworld and Kaplan Qbanks. FA wasn't my thing and only used it for clarification and embryology. My original goal was to just to get above 235.

UWorld First Pass: 82%
Kaplan Step 1 First Pass: 83%
Kaplan Diagnostic: 73% (4 weeks out)
NBME 5: 245 (4 weeks out)
NBME 12: 249 (4 weeks out)
NBME 15: 260 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 266 (3 weeks out)
NBME 11: 256 (2 weeks out)
NBME 13: 260 (2 weeks out)
NBME 16: 260 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17: 264 (2 weeks out)
NBME 19: 265 (1.5 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 264 (1 week out)
Free 120: 93% (less than a week out)

USMLE: 256
COMLEX: Waiting for my score

Like most, I did not feel great leaving the exam, but I thought it was a lot more doable than some make it out to be. When I got home from the exam I remembered ~230 Qs. I knew that I had missed 15 and was worried about ~20 others.

If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice, it would be to trust my NBME's. The average of my NBME's was a 257. I was always skeptical when people said to trust your NBME's, yet here I am today to reiterate that you should trust them. Additionally, UWorld Sim Exams over predicted for me (265 average), just like they have for many others. Best of luck to those that are still waiting on scores and those who have yet to take it!

Alright here's my write-up, as promised.

Me: average student (2nd quartile, don't know exact ranking but I'm usually within 5% of the average so probably lower down in second quartile), mid-tier school with an average step in the 240s.

Step 1: 261
NBME 13: 234
CBSE: 248
UWSA1: 258
UWSA2: 256
NBME 15: 263
NBME 16: 261
NBME 17: 257
NBME 18: 255
NBME 19: 255
Free 120: 87% - 248

UWorld: 86%
Rx: 84%
Kaplan (~50% complete): 84%

Spring semester of M2: I started studying in January. I did Rx, 30 problems/day. I read every word of every answer explanation and every associated First Aid page. It took me an average of 3 hours/day. I honestly think this was the biggest factor in my success. It got repetitive after a while, like I read the FA page about macrocytic anemia about 50 times. But by the time I was done with Rx, I had probably 90% of First Aid down cold. I did take notes when working through Rx, but never looked at them again after writing them haha. I think just the process of writing helped me remember stuff better.

I did some of Kaplan during first semester of M2 to study for EOB exams, and sporadically throughout the spring semester and dedicated. I think Rx is infinitely better than Kaplan. Kaplan has so many completely irrelevant questions that I couldn't even find the answer to with google. Rx focuses on higher yield stuff. I think it's especially good if you struggle with memorizing stuff, because it forces you to nail down First Aid. Rx also has short videos, which I used whenever I found a topic I struggled with (mostly biochem, which ended up being my best section on the real deal despite being probably my worst block of M1/M2).

I followed along with my classes in Pathoma.

Multisystems course: my school has a 3-week multisystems course right before dedicated. At this point I started UWorld and was studying around 5-6 hours a day. The beginning of MS was when I took the CBSE and NBME 13. I didn't take any notes on UWorld but I did make my own Anki cards. By the time I started UWorld I felt like I had a good grasp on the high-yield concepts, and was more focusing on nailing down lower yield details.

Dedicated: I took 3.5 weeks of dedicated (school offered 6.5). I finished UWorld about 2 weeks into dedicated. Knew I was not going to do it again because my first pass percentage was already pretty good, and I would probably just answer the questions based on memorization from my first pass. As I was finishing up UWorld, I also watched the cardio and pulmonology chapters of Physeo, which I found very helpful. I re-watched chapters 1-3 of pathoma, which I found extremely high yield. I watched a few other chapters of pathoma again just to feel like I was being productive but that was mostly a waste of time since I had already been through pathoma once during classes.

My last week and a half or so was mostly NBMEs and days off. I took a LOT of NBMEs in that time, which wasn't my original plan, but I felt like I was ready to move my test up at that point and wanted to get them all done.

I took the last day off before the test. This is a must, in my opinion.

The test: Won't say too much because everyone has a different experience, but I walked out feeling pretty decent about it. It was just slightly harder than the free 120. I didn't look up answers so no idea how many I got wrong.

I never used DIT, B&B, or any pre-made Anki decks. I watched a few Sketchy micro videos (staph, strep, neisseria), which were only slightly helpful. I think Sketchy pharm is a total waste of time but I know some people swear by it.

Reactions: 12 users
Real deal - 250

5 Weeks dedicated NBME 17 - 232 Five weeks out

NBME 15 - 224 Four weeks out

NBME 16 - 234 Three weeks out

NBME 18 - 257 Two weeks out

NBME 19 - 252 1 week out

UWSA 1 - 254 Four days out

Solidly average preclinical rank (Literally almost exactly the middle of the class by number.) Had a super average MCAT (28). Used DIT, Uworld, select pathoma chapters, sketchy micro and made anki cards of my own for uworld questions/facts that i either got wrong, didnt know, or was having trouble remembering. Remember walking out of the exam completely shocked like what just happened. Felt like my score could have been anywhere inbetween a 220 and 260. Im extremely happy the way it turned out. Applying EM. Sittin pretty

Alright here's my write-up, as promised.

Me: average student (2nd quartile, don't know exact ranking but I'm usually within 5% of the average so probably lower down in second quartile), mid-tier school with an average step in the 240s.

Step 1: 261
NBME 13: 234
CBSE: 248
UWSA1: 258
UWSA2: 256
NBME 15: 263
NBME 16: 261
NBME 17: 257
NBME 18: 255
Free 120: 87% - 248

Rx: 84%
Kaplan (~50% complete): 84%

Spring semester of M2: I started studying in January. I did Rx, 30 problems/day. I read every word of every answer explanation and every associated First Aid page. It took me an average of 3 hours/day. I honestly think this was the biggest factor in my success. It got repetitive after a while, like I read the FA page about macrocytic anemia about 50 times. But by the time I was done with Rx, I had probably 90% of First Aid down cold. I did take notes when working through Rx, but never looked at them again after writing them haha. I think just the process of writing helped me remember stuff better.

I did some of Kaplan during first semester of M2 to study for EOB exams, and sporadically throughout the spring semester and dedicated. I think Rx is infinitely better than Kaplan. Kaplan has so many completely irrelevant questions that I couldn't even find the answer to with google. Rx focuses on higher yield stuff. I think it's especially good if you struggle with memorizing stuff, because it forces you to nail down First Aid. Rx also has short videos, which I used whenever I found a topic I struggled with (mostly biochem, which ended up being my best section on the real deal despite being probably my worst block of M1/M2).

I followed along with my classes in Pathoma.

Multisystems course: my school has a 3-week multisystems course right before dedicated. At this point I started UWorld and was studying around 5-6 hours a day. The beginning of MS was when I took the CBSE and NBME 13. I didn't take any notes on UWorld but I did make my own Anki cards. By the time I started UWorld I felt like I had a good grasp on the high-yield concepts, and was more focusing on nailing down lower yield details.

Dedicated: I took 3.5 weeks of dedicated (school offered 6.5). I finished UWorld about 2 weeks into dedicated. Knew I was not going to do it again because my first pass percentage was already pretty good, and I would probably just answer the questions based on memorization from my first pass. As I was finishing up UWorld, I also watched the cardio and pulmonology chapters of Physeo, which I found very helpful. I re-watched chapters 1-3 of pathoma, which I found extremely high yield. I watched a few other chapters of pathoma again just to feel like I was being productive but that was mostly a waste of time since I had already been through pathoma once during classes.

My last week and a half or so was mostly NBMEs and days off. I took a LOT of NBMEs in that time, which wasn't my original plan, but I felt like I was ready to move my test up at that point and wanted to get them all done.

I took the last day off before the test. This is a must, in my opinion.

The test: Won't say too much because everyone has a different experience, but I walked out feeling pretty decent about it. It was just slightly harder than the free 120. I didn't look up answers so no idea how many I got wrong.

I never used DIT, B&B, or any pre-made Anki decks. I watched a few Sketchy micro videos (staph, strep, neisseria), which were only slightly helpful. I think Sketchy pharm is a total waste of time but I know some people swear by it.
more evidence that step 1 isn't a cram-your-face-off exam. slow and steady wins the race 9/10 times. congrats!

Lol i see all these scores and feel like a complete ***** who isnt even going to match. So jealous but congrats for kicking butt!!

225 here. Kinda bummed as I was hoping for 235+. Is it still possible for me to match into EM? I am US MD. Also I am almost halfway through my first internal medicine rotation but don't feel like it is going well :( anyone have any advice?

Totally possible. 220s are fine. I know people with 196-200 and 200-210 range who matched last year.

more evidence that step 1 isn't a cram-your-face-off exam. slow and steady wins the race 9/10 times. congrats!

Completely agree. I do have to say though that I'm really glad I waited until January of M2. Starting the summer after M1 or even fall of M2 would have been a complete waste of time, I doubt I would have scored any higher (not that I have any desire to score higher than I did haha, I have already exceeded all my expectations).

Congrats everyone!!! Have spent an unusual amount of time following this thread and y’alls progress, proud of each and every single one of you :clap:

Congrats on the great scores guys, seeing all you guys kill is getting me pumped for 2nd year to start lol

Too early to start the 2019 thread or nah? Lol

Step 1 Score (6/11): 264

MCAT: 27
Class percentile: Top 10%

UWSA 1 (2 months out, still in school): 247
NBME 16 (4 weeks out): 255
UWSA 2 (3 weeks out): 258
NBME 17 (2 weeks out and after first run through of all FA and Pathoma): 261
Free 120 (1 week out): 93%

I can do a bigger write up eventually if anyone is interested. I walked out feeling somewhat calm, but I wasn't confident I did well. I don't remember questions well so I could only think of 5-10, of which I missed 5-6 for sure.

It was like a long-winded (question stem) UWorld in my opinion, but I didn't take the later NBMEs.

Congrats to all for getting through what many say is the hardest part of becoming a physician. I'm gonna go get me a Bud Light and celebrate--I hope you all go do the same!

Reactions: 8 users
Lol i see all these scores and feel like a complete ***** who isnt even going to match. So jealous but congrats for kicking butt!!

Bruh.

You are an MD.

Put yourself in my shoes...

I scored one less point than you AND I'm a DO.

You'll be fine lol

Step 1: 252
NBME 15: 220
UWSA1: 260
UWSA2: 251
NBME 13: 209
NBME 16: 238
NBME 17: 246
NBME 18: 236
NBME 19: 236
Free 120: 84%

UWorld: 78% first pass
Rx: 70% (Only did 700Q)
Kaplan: 70%

Really happy about my scores! Had a genuine interest in Derm since I was a little girl and hope that this will help me. Just been watching this thread but you guys were great motivators. Hoping all your dreams come true! #BlackGirlsRock #YouCanDoThis #GloryToGod

Any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Absolutely distraught - 1Q, AOA candidate, plenty of publication work just found out my score and ...... 246.

Do I have any shot at a plastic surgery residency now? I am so disappointed.

I feel ya man. got mine today really bummed i only got a 269...i took NBME 20 4 days before and got a 270. Now I wont get into MGH for derm :(

Quick, someone give me words of reassurance.

You did better than I did and people seem to think I am not screwed. View my post in the MD forum and you can see some advice there.

Sorry I personally cannot help with that.

Wow what a journey I had.

I studied for 5.5 weeks. I took 3 practice tests and the free 120!

UWSA 1: 188 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 217 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 243 (1 week out)
Free 120: 83% (3 days out)

STEP 1: 245

I had a panic attack when I failed my first practice test 3 weeks out, but took a deep breath and said, “you know what...? I’m just going to go ham this next week and reassess” and then I got 217 on my NBME two weeks out. For me, it was a lot of information that I simply had to cram back into my head again and once I was able to finish UWorld and FA my score shot up. I’m so satisfied with this outcome! Good luck to everyone that still needs to take STEP or waiting on scores. ☺️

Reactions: 5 users
congrats to all the exam takers, what percentage of the exam you think you had correct? if you got 220s,230s,240s,250s what percentage?..I so far have 25 incorrect of the 163 questions that I remembered, so that's 84% correct, but I did have an easier form soo...not sure where I stand at all...anyway can anybody guesstimate what percentage people go right or think they got right?

also took my exam june 30th, will I get my exam 7/18 or 7/25 lol I don't feel guilty for asking this since all the 7/11ers got their scores back!

I'm posting here to help future students like me who are discouraged with their NBME's and keep reading things like "trust your NBME scores, they're spot on". My USMLE score was far above my NBMEs, and I was really upset throughout the whole process that I wasn't scoring well on them. I think it really varies person to person. For some, the NBME's are really accurate - for others like me, they are lower.

USMLE Step 1 Score: 230
(Goal was 240, but needed a few more weeks if I wanted to hit that)

Dedicated time period: 7 weeks

UW Avg 1st Pass: 65.9% (Did not have time to redo it, but my test was very similar to UW: If I had time, would have definitely redone it)

Listed in order of completion (did a practice test every weekend):
Pre-Dedicated NBME 13
: 165
NBME 17: 198
UW Self Assessment 1: 243
NBME 18: 219
UW Self Assessment 2: 222
NBME 19: 217 (last test, 4 days out)

Trying to aim for EM or GenSurg as a D.O. - I think a 230 should open up most specialties for me, so I'm honestly very happy. :) Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 4 users
Step 1 Score (6/11): 264

MCAT: 27
Class percentile: Top 10%

UWSA 1 (2 months out, still in school): 247
NBME 16 (4 weeks out): 255
UWSA 2 (3 weeks out): 258
NBME 17 (2 weeks out and after first run through of all FA and Pathoma): 261
Free 120 (1 week out): 93%

I can do a bigger write up eventually if anyone is interested. I walked out feeling somewhat calm, but I wasn't confident I did well. I don't remember questions well so I could only think of 5-10, of which I missed 5-6 for sure.

It was like a long-winded (question stem) UWorld in my opinion, but I didn't take the later NBMEs.

Congrats to all for getting through what many say is the hardest part of becoming a physician. I'm gonna go get me a Bud Light and celebrate--I hope you all go do the same!
you deserve better than a Bud light

so if we took the exam after the june 22nd (I took mine on the 25th) then should we expect to get the scores by next Wednesday?

I'm posting here to help future students like me who are discouraged with their NBME's and keep reading things like "trust your NBME scores, they're spot on". My USMLE score was far above my NBMEs, and I was really upset throughout the whole process that I wasn't scoring well on them. I think it really varies person to person. For some, the NBME's are really accurate - for others like me, they are lower.

USMLE Step 1 Score: 230
(Goal was 240, but needed a few more weeks if I wanted to hit that)

Dedicated time period: 7 weeks

UW Avg 1st Pass: 65.9% (Did not have time to redo it, but my test was very similar to UW: If I had time, would have definitely redone it)

Listed in order of completion (did a practice test every weekend):
Pre-Dedicated NBME 13
: 165
NBME 17: 198
UW Self Assessment 1: 243
NBME 18: 219
UW Self Assessment 2: 222
NBME 19: 217 (last test, 4 days out)

Trying to aim for EM or GenSurg as a D.O. - I think a 230 should open up most specialties for me, so I'm honestly very happy. :) Good luck to everyone else!

100% agree - trust the PREP, not the exams. My scores were all over the place and got a very similar actual score to you. Trust your studying and your gut, don't put too much stock in the practice tests.

I wasn't going to do a write-up but I know they were incredibly valuable to me while planning my MCAT and Step1 planning so I'll give it a go.

STEP1: 264

Practice tests in order taken:
NBME13: 250
UWSA1: 279
UWSA2: 275
NBME 18: 258
NBME 17: 263
Free 120: 89%

UW first pass: 84% (timed, semi-random, see below)
UW second pass: 95%
Second year class rank: somewhere between top 5-10%

Methods of study: I studied very hard M1, and the first half of M2 focusing heavily on class materials and using Zanki to supplement my learning on topics during M2. I did Kaplan with M2 starting at the beginning of the year. After January I began doing UW and would do 20-30 random UW questions a day only on topics I had already learned. After we finished a block that would get added to the pool of randomized q's. I would also read through FA for the relevant block and annotate only for UW into it. I would make sure my Zanki reviews were 0 at the end of the day. Obviously used Pathoma, Sketchy, FA, and other random materials to learn the content well. This is important. If you do well in your classes you will at least do average on Step1. I used B&B in lieu of class lectures in the last half of M2.

By the time dedicated came around I had finished 95% of the Zanki deck, finished 3/4 of my first pass of UW, and read through FA x1, and Pathoma watched/read several times. I finished UW, did practice exams, and did one more pass of FA/Pathoma/Sketchy while doing daily Zanki. This was really at this point just fine tuning that netted me the 14 points from 250->264. The meat of Step1 prep should be in your first 2 years, especially the last 6 months of M2.

Resources in order of importance ( not ranked by time efficiency or yield, but by how much I subjectively think they improved my score)
1)Zanki: Forced me to constantly review old topics and keep them fresh, and it's active learning.
2)UW first pass: Done early, and done in conjunction really solidifies topics
3)Pathoma: Highest yield resource for time spent. Synergistic with Zanki
4)B&B: Great for covering new or difficult material. Do it before dedicated
5)Sketchy: Literally all you need for your primary source of micro information, sketchy pharm is usefull for some areas but is significantly worse in quality imo. SketchyPharm is very synergistic with Zanki cards, though
6)Class lectures: seriously. You'll get questions that only class lectures could have answered. you need a foundation (Note, the last 6m may not be worth heavily studying class lectures considering time)
7)FA: On its own, it's bland, and tough to digest. Serves as a resevoir for information and for quick look-ups. Not useful alone imo.
8)Kaplan: Great to study for school exams and solidify content before you use UW for the respective content area. Don't use during dedicated unless starved for questions.

Reactions: 10 users
I'd like to officially debunk the myth that permit disappearing = pass. And no my eligibility had not ended- it was through 7/31.

Just got my score today. 186.

Long story short:

Practice Exam average: 245-250 (increased from 190 on early NBME forms to 260+ on NBME 18)
UWorld: 2 passes; 1st pass = 70%, 2nd pass = 95%
Class rank: somewhere in the top 5%, possibly at top
Real deal: 235
Comments: I have no words. Feel like my future dreams are crushed. Not a fun feeling. If anyone else feels the same, please know you are not alone in this. There is nothing I could have done differently.

Long story short:

Practice Exam average: 245-250 (increased from 190 on early NBME forms to 260+ on NBME 18)
Comments: I have no words. Feel like my future dreams are crushed. Not a fun feeling. If anyone else feels the same, please know you are not alone in this. There is nothing I could have done differently.
It may not be a score you want, but it is not the end yet. Step 1 is some random **** and pure luck unless one is really smart and know exactly what he/she is doing...I got higher score but tbh I guessed on majority of them...I was somehow just luckier than you on step 1 day...it does not really define how good a doctor you will be though

Long story short:

Sometimes you just get screwed on test day. I really don't think your future dreams are crushed with a 235 though! I don't know many programs, if any at all, that screen that out!

NBME Average for me: 240
Real Deal: 217

Its been a rough day :(

Last edited:
What did @Foot Fetish get tho

Feeling pretty disappointed to be honest. I realize I scored very close to my average, but I was really hoping to break 260. Oh well. I'm basically @failedatlife now :(

USMLE Score: 257

Kaplan (pre-dedicated): 80%
UWorld first pass (pre-dedicated): 83%
USMLE-Rx (pre-dedicated): 90%
UWorld second pass (dedicated): >95%

NBME 15 - 257 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 262 (2.5 weeks out)
FREE 120 - 93% (2 weeks out)
NBME 13 - 259 (2 weeks out)
NBME 19 - 248 (1 week out)
NBME 16 - 259 (1 week out)
NBME 17 - 263 (4 days out)