USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'd like to officially debunk the myth that permit disappearing = pass. And no my eligibility had not ended- it was through 7/31.

Just got my score today. 186.

Oh man that is rough. I'm so sorry to hear that. If it does make you feel any better, one of my best friends failed the first time, passed it pretty well on the second go rough and got into the best radiology program in my state. It wasn't an ideal time for him but he pulled it off and I'm sure you will as well. After sulking all day about my less than average score I realized that for most primary care fields STEP definitely isn't everything! But again, that really does blow.

Feeling pretty disappointed to be honest. I realize I scored very close to my average, but I was really hoping to break 260. Oh well. I'm basically @failedatlife now :(

USMLE Score: 257

Kaplan (pre-dedicated): 80%
UWorld first pass (pre-dedicated): 83%
USMLE-Rx (pre-dedicated): 90%
UWorld second pass (dedicated): >95%

NBME 15 - 257 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 262 (2.5 weeks out)
FREE 120 - 93% (2 weeks out)
NBME 13 - 259 (2 weeks out)
NBME 19 - 248 (1 week out)
NBME 16 - 259 (1 week out)
NBME 17 - 263 (4 days out)
NBME 18 - 255 (3 days out)
UWSA 2 - 266 (2 days out)

Oh no how ever will you get into a residency program with a 257!? Guess you should just drop out now.
But honestly congrats. I would kill for that. I didn't even break the national average after how much I busted ass and hated my life soooooo.... can't relate. I'm sure you will get exactly what you want in terms of residencies.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to nobody who scored over 250 if they're whining about not getting 260+.

I get it. Really I do. But your chances of not getting what you want are infinitely low. Meanwhile, there are people who just wanted to pass who actually feel like failures and you're upset over a 91%.

Reactions: 11 users
Sometimes you just get screwed on test day. I really don't think your future dreams are crushed with a 235 though! I don't know many programs, if any at all, that screen that out!

NBME Average for me: 240
Real Deal: 217

Its been a rough day :(

Pretty what exactly what happened to today. I wasn't scoring quite that well on NBMEs but I was expecting around 230s. Guess we are the unlucky few.

I don't think so! We scored lower than average but I've talked to plenty of PDs who say not to count ourselves out.
Pretty what exactly what happened to today. I wasn't scoring quite that well on NBMEs but I was expecting around 230s. Guess we are the unlucky few.

I listen to nobody who scored over 250 if they're whining about not getting 260+.

I get it. Really I do. But your chances of not getting what you want are infinitely low. Meanwhile, there are people who just wanted to pass who actually feel like failures and you're upset over a 91%.

Thank you. However remember we are on SDN sooooo I think its entertaining.

Reactions: 1 users
You showed up to exam day and beat your NBME average (225) by a significant amount! A 233 is an awesome score, congratulations!!!

I am glad and it does help a little to know that I did better than my average, but it’s heartbreaking to know that after spending an entire year and working day and night specifically for this test that it was the best that I could do. Plastic surgery was a reach before, but seems impossible now.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so! We scored lower than average but I've talked to plenty of PDs who say not to count ourselves out.
Yeah after talking to several people who have said that. As long as we keep it realistic we are fine. Obviously insane specialties are out but most people can match with our scores as long as you don't try to go to Yale lol.

Yeah after talking to several people who have said that. As long as we keep it realistic we are fine. Obviously insane specialties are out but most people can match with our scores as long as you don't try to go to Yale lol.

Yeah I think it's important to keep in mind that like 98% of med students are gonna match somewhere and be a doctor. I literally saw someone on this website say something like, "I would much rather see the doctor who got a 270 than a 230". I think that's BS. I think sometimes SDN makes people forget that there's nothing wrong with being average or below average. It probably doesn't have much to do with how good of a doctor you're going to be, and we all know that there are plenty of people scoring 260+ who are gonna be crappy doctors.

Reactions: 9 users
UWSA1 (6 weeks out) = 224
NBME 18 (5 weeks out) = 188
NBME 17 (3 weeks out) = 200
NBME 16 (6 days out) = 225
UWSA 2 (3 days out) = 220
Free 120 (2 days out) = 76%
STEP 1 = 234...

I don't know what happened. I felt like trash walking out of that test. But I am very happy now. I honestly would've been fine with just passing or getting a 200+, but I am extremely grateful I got a 234. I know it's not super amazing, but it's far beyond anything I ever expected. Thank you all for your help and advice throughout the past several weeks!

Reactions: 11 users

haha yeah, fortunately even with my good nbmes I was 100% dead set on IM and just want a middle tier program, now I'm a little nervous but after doing some research I think we're all still going to be ok as long as we commit hard to 3rd year and really build good relationships!

Members don't see this ad :)
247!! Goal was initially 240, shot for 250 during dedicated and almost got there. Only finished 75% of uworld. Thrilled with the score really. I'll try to do a right up later.

haha yeah, fortunately even with my good nbmes I was 100% dead set on IM and just want a middle tier program, now I'm a little nervous but after doing some research I think we're all still going to be ok as long as we commit hard to 3rd year and really build good relationships!
That's word for word what I was told. That other stuff is alpha tier garbage that plenty of attendings told me will land you in hot water your intern year.

Nbme 13: 209
Nbme 15: 225
Nbme 16: 230
Nbme 17: 232
Nbme 18: 221
Nbme 19: 225
Free 120: 80%
UW Avg: 64% first pass

Real deal: 233

Ran out of time to do a second pass of UW, think that would have helped. Sure my fantasies were in the 240s but I am just super grateful for what it is. I’m a DO and actually interested in family/psych. For anyone out there interested my strategy was FA and Pathoma each 3 passes and made flash cards out of things I didn’t know. One pass of Kaplan able to redo incorrects (wish I had gotten on the UW train earlier instead). Sketchy for all the bacteria (wish I had gotten on the sketchy train earlier as well and done all of it committed).

Now to see how comlex goes...oh the irony that I actually really like OMT and am already using it on rotations yet I felt way worse about the comlex than the USMLE..

@Foot Fetish now that you've seen your score, and given that you are one of the hardest working people on this forum, I know you were trying to prove that someone could score >265 with enough hard work and intelligence. Do you still feel like that is the case or do you think there is a certain amount of luck when people are scoring over a certain number?

By the way, great score, congrats.

Reactions: 8 users
Confused about that as well, like if they keep that document up to date then why not just give us percentiles with our reports?
The NBME doing something that makes sense? We can't have that! That would be too logical! Just like they had to wait until we all took the exam to start showing all the questions on the practice NBME's....

edit: Also the document was updated May 2018, so I think it holds true

DO student here

step 1= 248 (6/22)

USWA1= 271
USWA2= 256
NBME 18 and 17= 236

kinda bummed i didn't hit 250 but w/e. i'm 1 and done if i pass comlex 1

Scored a 231, averaged around the low 240s on all practice tests. Definitely disappointed to have scored a decent amount lower than my practice tests but all things considered, still a decent score. Glad this whole ordeal is over with. Looks like quite a few people did quite lower than their practice tests scores which makes me wonder. Wish we could all get exactly the scores that we wanted. It'll be fine. It's an important part of the package but still one part and not something that defines us. On to the next one.

Reactions: 4 users
Did half of UWorld and got around ~70% on most untimed tutor blocks. Never took a practice test.

Ended up with a 235.

Pretty happy since that's all I need for my first choice, EM.

Step 1 score- 257

nbme 18-258
nbme-17-250
UWSA 1- 269
UWSA 2- 258

Shout out to the special man in my life Dr. Jason Ryan (Boards and Beyond). You are the real MVP.

Congrats to everyone for being done!

Reactions: 10 users
I think theres a clear trend amongst the super high scorers: they used multiple well established resources alongside coursework. I bet the majority would say it wasnt "brute force" that got them there, rather it was slow, disciplined learning.

Reactions: 6 users
Posting this for those who have been discouraged by low practice exam scores. I am a DO student, and I go to a school that does not give us much of a dedicated study period (we had classes up until 10 days before I took step). Due to this, I only got through 60% of Uworld questions. Never watched any sketchy micro or pharm. Read First Aid, Pathoma, BRS phys.

NBME 17 (6 weeks out) - 211
UWSA 1 (5 weeks out) - 232
NBME 18 (3 weeks out) - 217
NBME 19 (1 week out) - 219
UWSA 2 (1 week out) - 232

Actual step 1 score - 233

I thought step was the hardest test i've ever taken. I marked at least 50-60% of the questions and felt like I was constantly guessing.

As of now I am planning on pursuing PM&R, so I am pretty content with my score.

Just a PSA to the people browsing this thread and freaking out, remember that SDN is not a faithful representation of the general student population. Take posted stats with perspective in mind and consult the NRMP for your neurotic stat-crunching needs. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I like that the USMLE is still relatively graded through a bell curve w/ averages not sky-rocketing every year. It means a 250 still has value and as does a 230. Would hate to see the average going to a 240 rapidly. I am sure it will happen in the distant future, but not anytime soon.

It's really depressing that someone feels ashamed or let down when they score in the 90th percentile of all med students on a board exam. An unfortanate aspect of the culture of medicine. We need to have some damn pride for ourselves

On the one hand, I totally agree that no one should be disappointed with a >90th percentile score. But on the other hand, it can be rough to work your butt off and be expecting a 270, and then score a 250. So I sympathize with those people. Hopefully most people in that situation will be sad for a day or two and then come to realize that they still scored really well and move on.

Paying it forward for anyone who is still studying and thinks their goal is too far to reach. I'm a below average student who just barely passed my coursework my first two years. I only started studying for step during dedicated (told myself I would start earlier, but my fellow procrastinators know what's up).

Goal: 230
Pre-dedicated CBSE (12 weeks out): <145, my score was so low, it didn't even register on the scale lol
NBME 13 (9 weeks out): 184
NBME 17 (8 weeks out): 200
UWSA 1 (7 weeks out): 232
NBME 18 (6 weeks out): 211
NBME 16 (3 weeks out): 234
UWSA 2 (2 weeks out): 239
NBME 19 (1 week out): 232
UW average: 63%

Actual: 243. Whatever you dream, it can happen!! Just keep pushing through!

Also my advice to any M1/2s out there, let this be a lesson: CRAMMING IS NOT FUN, YOU WILL REGRET IT. These were the absolute most miserable 3 months of my life. Even if you're a genius, there is no harm in starting your studying early.

Reactions: 4 users
On the one hand, I totally agree that no one should be disappointed with a >90th percentile score. But on the other hand, it can be rough to work your butt off and be expecting a 270, and then score a 250. So I sympathize with those people. Hopefully most people in that situation will be sad for a day or two and then come to realize that they still scored really well and move on.
270 goal but score 250...still become a dermatologist
250 goal but score 230...working as hard...no longer become a dermatologist...
No one wants their effort wasted but I can see why it can be harder to sympathize with people who score lower than their goals but still meet their dream specialties
Again once you score 250 and above, will it make much difference? Probably not..or just the program...will you still be competitive? Yes.

Word. I am broken. I am completely defeated right now. I got about a 25th percentile score, so i have nothing to be happy about.

I sympathize 100%, until people start saying "forget about ever doing this".

Good news for me is that it isnt only my step score keeping me out of top specialties. No research and mediocre preclinical grades also play a role here..

But yes, it hurts to see that. Which leads to more regret.

Reactions: 1 user
you deserve better than a Bud light
I was raised by Bud Light, molded by it. I didn't see craft beer until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

On the real tho, I don't even like Bud Light. But where I'm from, when you're celebrating something, everyone cracks a Bud and drinks together. Dilly Dilly!

Reactions: 5 users
Just as an n=1, I scored 260 and didn’t study at all until January of second year at which point I finished maybe half of rx, pathoma vids and sketchy micro before dedicated. I did zero M1, nothing in the summer, virtually nothing first half of M2. I had 7 weeks to study but I do think ou can brue force this test and cram extremely hard just during dedicated and do well.

This was basically my plan but I did 5 weeks dedicated. Didn't touch board studying 'til January M2 year. Scored 264. Just depends what works best for people I s'pose.

Missed the magic 250 by 1 or 2 points (for anonymity's sake). I feel ambivalent about this score. If you had told me at the beginning of M1 year that this is what I'd get I'd be disappointed because I'm used to doing significantly better on standardized tests, percentile-wise.

On the other hand, I began finding it pretty hard to stay motivated from the middle of M1 year onward and went into minimum-effort mode for much of preclinicals. Even my dedicated was pretty half-assed. I never bothered to make a schedule and just haphazardly studied random blocks as I went through U-world. I actually ended up not doing a single NBME or either of the U-world assessments, so I went into the exam completely blind as far as what score I should expect aside from my U-world first pass percentage (75). By the time test day arrived, I found myself terrified of how many huge, gaping knowledge gaps still existed and was feverishly studying in the morning of the exam in my hotel. In that light, I guess I have to be happy with my score, since I honestly wasn't more than about 70% sure I'd even pass the damn thing as I was walking into the testing center.

The good thing is I didn't rule myself out of any specialty with this performance and I'm sitting pretty for my tentative primary interest, which is EM. At the same time, I definitely didn't do myself any favors with this score as far as compensating for my complete lack of extracurriculars and weak research portfolio were I to actually apply for a surgical sub, making such an application pretty high risk for not matching at all. But whatever. If you had asked me this morning whether I'd take the offer of a ~249/248 or wait to see what my actual score is, I'd have taken you up on that offer so can't complain haha.

For comparison's sake, here is what I wrote about my impression of the exam a couple days after taking it:

Took it this week. I honestly have no idea whatsoever how I did. It wouldn't surprise me if I scored a 250 or a 220. Or even lower than a 220. For reference, my Uworld first pass was 75%.

A few observations:

The question spread was whack. I was asked at least 4 questions on freaking acne, but not a single question about for example glomerural diseases or the clotting cascade. Guess how many hours of my life were sunk into mastering the last two compared to acne lol. I think I got them all correct, but it was by pure POE jiu jitsu and luck. Anatomy really took a hard dump on me as well, I think I had at least 4 to 5 anatomy questions per block and they were invariably stupidly hard ones about pelvic innervation and musculature, the pharynx muscles, etc. Nothing on the upper limb or the abdominal vasculature, oh no, that would be too kind.

-barely anything on psychiatry, 2 or 3 questions max

-TONS of ethics/"what do you tell the patient" crap. Some of it was really easy, some not so easy

-A surprising number of questions which straight out asked you for "which cytokine/CYP450 isozyme etc" does X. These were actually pretty tough, they didn't ask about easy ones like TNF-A suppressing tuberculosis and so on

-Pharm and micro were really low yield on my exam. Also, I'd say I know about 90% of the drugs down cold, what showed up on the exam was primarily the 10% flotsam and jetsom I didn't know. Funnily enough, I think I was still able to answer most of these correctly by picking the answer choice I just wasn't familiar with, but it felt like a leap into the dark as I was doing it. As for micro, some were easy some were pretty hard. Many of my micro questions were integrated in such as way that you didn't even know if it was a micro question. Example: coal worker with a really zoomed out histological image of lung biopsy, is it fungal or pneumoconiosis? The hell if I know.
(Not a verbatim question from the exam, just illustrates the type of Q I am talking about)

But most of the questions (like 70%) were just integrated pathophys. And I mean, really, really integrated. Lots of questions revolved around electrolytes. They'd set the stage by giving you a list of lab values and a patient with a crap ton of comorbid conditions on tons of drugs and take it from there. Lots of these were pretty tough in a way I felt Uworld wasn't. In Uworld they were mostly testing individual concepts in a given question. On Step, I felt like they were trying to make you engage in judgment calls, so that even if you knew the physio and path down cold, you could still get the question wrong by making the "wrong call." That's the best way I can explain it. Definitely different from Uworld where you always got the question right if you knew the basic science and saw through the "trick" of the question. The analogous questions on Step 1 don't have a trick that you stare at for a few second and then "get" what they're going for, you have to choose between answers that each have something going for them.

Many questions were ambiguous like that, which is why I have no idea what score to expect. There was a sizeable number of easy questions that I know for a fact I got right, and a much less sizeable subset of crazy anatomy and embryology questions where I completely guessed because I knew I never learned the information needed to answer them. But a good quarter of the exam were question for which I knew the science but still felt like my answer was a judgment call. So now the waiting begins.

Hey guys I posted this info a while back before I got my scores. Here is the result!

Actual STEP 1 Score --- 267!!!!! Holy F@%CK! I couldn't beleive it---- I walked out thinking I totally messed it up.

Here is what I have so far--- I took my STEP 1 May 22, 2018
GOAL-- 260+

NBME 13 --- 205 (1 year out)
NBME 13 --- 240 (3 months out)
NBME 17 --- 240 (2 months out)
UWSA1 --- 266 (5 weeks out)
UWSA2 --- 258 (4 weeks out)
NBME 19 --- 248 (3 weeks out)--- (started to freak out)
Free 120 – 86% (3 weeks out) --- (I did it at the prometrics center)---- def. recommend this
NBME 16 – 250 (2 weeks out) --- (freaked out some more)
NBME 15 – 255 (1.5 weeks out) --- (relaxed a little bit)
Read all of FA cover to cover --- w/ notes and wikipedia references
NBME 18 ---- 271 (2 days out) --- this was the hardest f@#king test I thought I failed it--- I freaked out when I saw my score!!!!!!
UW First Pass – 88%---- I did U world slowly I literally finished my last block the day of my test --- I took my last 40Qs as my warm up in the morning

Actual STEP 1 Score --- 267

Guys thanks for all of your help! This website has really helped my relieve some of my stress. It definitely guided my studying.
Hopefully this helps you guys out!!!!!

CONGRATES TO EVERYONE WHO HAS FINISHED WITH THE BEAST and GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO TAKE IT!!!!!

Hey guys I posted this info a while back before I got my scores. Here is the result!

Actual STEP 1 Score --- 267!!!!! Holy F@%CK! I couldn't beleive it---- I walked out thinking I totally messed it up.

Here is what I have so far--- I took my STEP 1 May 22, 2018
GOAL-- 260+

NBME 13 --- 205 (1 year out)
NBME 13 --- 240 (3 months out)
NBME 17 --- 240 (2 months out)
UWSA1 --- 266 (5 weeks out)
UWSA2 --- 258 (4 weeks out)
NBME 19 --- 248 (3 weeks out)--- (started to freak out)
Free 120 – 86% (3 weeks out) --- (I did it at the prometrics center)---- def. recommend this
NBME 16 – 250 (2 weeks out) --- (freaked out some more)
NBME 15 – 255 (1.5 weeks out) --- (relaxed a little bit)
Read all of FA cover to cover --- w/ notes and wikipedia references
NBME 18 ---- 271 (2 days out) --- this was the hardest f@#king test I thought I failed it--- I freaked out when I saw my score!!!!!!
UW First Pass – 88%---- I did U world slowly I literally finished my last block the day of my test --- I took my last 40Qs as my warm up in the morning

Actual STEP 1 Score --- 267

Guys thanks for all of your help! This website has really helped my relieve some of my stress. It definitely guided my studying.
Hopefully this helps you guys out!!!!!

CONGRATES TO EVERYONE WHO HAS FINISHED WITH THE BEAST and GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO TAKE IT!!!!!
Congrats, man! Was waiting for your score. With that insane 271 on NBME 18, I thought you'd get in the high 260s. Based on your username, I assume you're pursuing ortho. Hope everything works out for you. You may be one of the only med students dedicated/crazy enough to ever complete a U-world block the morning of your exam.

Last edited:
Congrats, man! Was waiting for your score. With that insane 271 on NBME 18, I thought you'd get in the high 260s. (Interestingly, both people on this thread who beat 270 on both USWA and either NBME 17, 18 or 19 hit 270 on the real thing.) Based on your username, I assume you're pursuing ortho. Hope everything works out for you. You may be one of the only med students dedicated/crazy enough to ever complete a U-world block the morning of your exam.

Hahahaha Thanks man!! I actually want to do pedi plastics brotha!
The name was given to me in med school. Dude have you taken the exam? If you have Good luck man and if you are still studying just let me know, maybe I could push something your way.

Reactions: 1 user
5 weeks of dedicated, finished 1st pass of UW, FA, pathoma, & sketchy micro beforehand. Also used lots of sketchy pharm and path. Rx videos for pharmacology and micro were helpful.

nbme 13: 221 (4 weeks before test)
nbme 15: 236 ( 3 weeks before test)
nbme 16: 234 (2 weeks before test)
nbme 17: 242 (1.5 weeks before test)
nbme 18: 257 (1 week before test)
nbme 19: 238 ( 5 days before test)
UWSA2: 254 ( 2 days before test)

step 1: 253

Walked out feeling like I could have scored anywhere from a 220-250, so best piece of advice is to trust your progress on your practice tests.

I had a wide range of practice scores

1st pass UWORLD QBank. 64%
2nd pass . 88%
NBME 16. 223. 5 wks
NBME 17. 235. 4 wks
NBME 18. 242 . 3wks
NBME 19. 259. 2wks
UWSA1 . 245 . 3 wks
UWSA2 . 245 . 1 wk
Free 120 . 93%

Step 1. 238
Comlex. Waiting

Kind of felt like I'd get a higher score with my progress but whatever...

I wants rads... Thoughts?

Not sure if it's the change in the question pool but this is a very head-scratching group of score reports coming back. More than a few people coming back with scores much lower than the practice test predictions and others blowing Step 1 out of the water much higher than any single practice test. It's just insane

@Foot Fetish now that you've seen your score, and given that you are one of the hardest working people on this forum, I know you were trying to prove that someone could score >265 with enough hard work and intelligence. Do you still feel like that is the case or do you think there is a certain amount of luck when people are scoring over a certain number?

By the way, great score, congrats.

Thank you. I definitely think there is an element of luck involved when you get into the higher score range. I may have missed the 260s by just a few questions on the real deal. Preparation is 95% of the equation. The rest is a constellation of variables that are not totally in your control on test day -- anxiety, fatigue, unlucky mix of questions, etc etc. That said, I honestly believe that if I had studied for an extra 6 months or so, I could have achieved a 260-something regardless of these wildcard variables. It might sound crazy, but my only regret is that I didn't start Step 1 studying on the first day of M1. I firmly believe that there is virtually no such thing as over-preparing for this test. Though vast, the topics are finite, as are the ways of testing them. The level of sacrifice required to brute force your way to a high score will vary as a function of innate intelligence, with the most gifted people being able to get away with only studying for as little as a few weeks during dedicated. Others may need a full 2 years of focused Step 1 studying to get to the point where they can reliably score a 260+.

In the end, I know that I gave it my all for 12 months nearly nonstop, so I can't beat myself up too much over my preparation. I aimed for the stars and landed on the moon, as they say.

Reactions: 13 users
I must admit, I get some kind of sick pleasure watching this kind of thread every so often each year to watch both the over confidence of 260+ scores and the depression of barely passing scores in regards to ultimate career success. In all honestly, any passing score makes you competitive for the basic residencies of FP, IM, ED, etc so there is no reason for hanging your head. Anyone looking for some kind of specialty is pretty safe to pass cut offs with a 230 or higher. Im not saying a 264 isnt "better" than a 238, but as far as applying to your residency of choice, these tests are merely a baseline screening of your capabilities, and if you can pass a minimum threshold then you are still in ok shape for any career path you want. I am not saying this to drag down the highest scores as that is certainly something to be admired for, but in the grand scheme of things, your Step 1 score isnt going to dictate what you can and cant do. So many other factors play a part in who you are and what you have to offer. I am literally mouth-agape at folks lamenting their 230 whose dreams "Are crushed" of obtaining X residency. It simply isnt THAT important. Obviously I was in that situation once and felt the same way, but the point of my post is to tell you thats not what its all about in the end. I will admit with a 233 Step 1 I was nervous about applying to Ophthalmology, but I matched easily and I was certainly nothing special. Its all about your dedication to your intended field of practice, and if you scored lower than you hoped, you just have to make a more concerted effort in other areas if you really want to match in a certain specialty. Congrats to all those who killed the test, and for those who didnt score as high as they'd like, its not the end of the world, youll just have to make it up in other areas with research, time in clinic, LORs, etc. Now go celebrate the end of a stressful several weeks!

Not sure if it's the change in the question pool but this is a very head-scratching group of score reports coming back. More than a few people coming back with scores much lower than the practice test predictions and others blowing Step 1 out of the water much higher than any single practice test. It's just insane
Just a matter of self selection. Complete blow outs and major upsets are usually the only outcomes that warrant enough of an emotional response to post onto a public forum such as SDN.

But opthalmology for a DO with a 238...? Want there only like 4 DOs total that matched optho last year?

DO/IMG/FMG obviously represents its own set of challenges, but a 238 will at least get you in the door for interviews. The actual matching process is obviously skewed towards MD/US grads, my point was only that the Step 1 score wont be the only reason you cant obtain your specialty of choice.

IMG from India.

Study time - 3.5 months

Materials used - UWorld, First Aid.
Saw Pathoma videos once.

UWSA 1 - 234 (6 weeks out)

NBME 16 - 236 (4 weeks out)

Free 120 - 90% (3 weeks out)

NBME 17 - 246 (2 weeks out)

NBME 18 - 246 (1 week out)

NBME 19 - 236 (4 days out)

NBME Average - 241

Expected Score - 240

Actual Score - 239

A little disappointed, that I didn't hit 240.

Hoping to get Neurology!

Always read these threads back when I was planning my study strategy, hopefully someone finds it helpful!

Step 1 Score: 263

NBME 15 (10 wks out): 242
NBME 13 (7 wks out): 248
NBME 16 (4 wks out): 252
NBME 17 (3 wks out): 259
NBME 19 (2.5 wks out): 236
UWSA 1 (2 wks out): 266
NBME 18 (1.5 wks out): 259
Free 120 (1 wk out): 92%
UWSA 2 (3 days out): 256

Rx Qbank: 82%
Kaplan Qbank: 83%
UWorld 1st pass: 85%

Resources
Anki: used from day 1 of med school. First Bros deck, then switched to Zanki after it came out. Kept up with all of my reviews without ever missing a day. The Zanki deck is incredible and I’d say I owe my score most of all to keeping up on the cards.

Qbanks: finished Rx halfway through MS2, Kaplan by the end of MS2, UWorld during dedicated. All timed random. Made Anki cards on every missed question.

Boards and Beyond: used in place of lecture throughout MS2. Highly recommend, much more efficient use of time than lecture.

Goljian audio: 2 passes on commute during MS2. This is the #1 most underrated resource, I loved it.

Pathoma; Sketchy micro/pharm: along with classes throughout MS1-2. Nothing more that I need to say about these.

Dedicated (4 weeks):
Focused on my first pass of UWorld (120q/day). Also kept up on Anki cards and made new cards for everything I didn’t know in UW. Committing the time to Anki during the first two years made dedicated study time pretty stress-free!

Reactions: 12 users

Only on SDN where 90% of posts will have 90th+ percentile scores lol

People are just afraid of looking dumb or being judged by their scores on here.

I'm not ashamed of my score at all.

I tried my best and I got caught on a bad day. I really do feel like I got ****ed over but I'm over it.

**** happens.

It's how you deal with it that matters.

People will get the courage and post more on here as they see fit.

Reactions: 7 users