USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Any usmd people receive their scores on the nbme website or any emails about score release? June 12th taker hearing crickets here

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
>270. Took the test on 6/12. I never got an email but the score report was up on the NBME site when I refreshed it at 11 am. I will try to get a write up done soon when I have more time.

Reactions: 10 users
Real deal: 220s!!!!
NBME 18: 204
UWSA1: 217
UWSA2: 227

UWorld first time %: 54

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Took the exam May 31st at 38 weeks pregnant and just got my score of 219! My first uworld practice 3 days before was 220 and the second the day before was 192 . I was almost falling asleep from sleep deprivation, had less than 4 weeks to study, and went over my break time by 7 minutes, so I was really worried that I failed. I would not recommend planning to take step 1 that pregnant, but it is doable. Also my baby girl came 2 weeks early- just 4 days after my test !

Reactions: 18 users
Step 1 - 221

NBME average in the 230s
UWSAs both >245

Bummed that I scored lower than any practice exam, but relieved at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have gotten a lot of help from this thread so I am happy to share my score and stats. I did really crappy (based on goal score) on a lot of the NBMEs so even though this is n=1, for those who need some encouragement, you really can improve over dedicated. I guess I'm ok with my score (was shooting for 250)-mostly happy that I don't have to necessarily rule out any specialties.

NBME 13: 211
NBME 15: 234
CBSE: 227
UWA1: 247
NBME 16: 242
NBME 17: 223
NBME 19: 221
NBME 18: 238
free 120: 89%
UWA2: 254

Actual: 244
Goal: 250

(scores are in order but I don't have exact dates, 6 weeks dedicated)

Reactions: 1 users
D.O. student

UWorld 89% first pass (timed and random)
CBSE 260+ (3/19)
NBME 13 252 (3/31)
NBME 15 250 (4/7)
NBME 16 267 (4/17)
NBME 19 259 (4/21)
UW1 277 (4/24)
NBME 17 261 (4/28)
UW2 266 (5/4)
NBME 18 261 (5/10)

Step 1 261 (5/14)

In complete shock right now. I felt terrible after the exam and marked 15-20 questions per block... took every break and had my confidence shattered. I guess you seriously have to trust your averages. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
So those who took it July 22nd to July 29th should get their scores next week or is it the following week?

It seems like those who did take it mid July got their scores back so maybe the following two weeks would get it back sooner? Idk if that made sense lol

Hello, I just created this account to post my results and thoughts since I've been reading this forum for months now and thought now would be a good time to contribute. I'm not proud of my score at all, but hopefully my experience will help others.
I'm an IMG and studied for about 7 months, I had issues with form 186 (notary public stamp) and had to wait for 4 months for the scheduling permit (so I stopped studying during that time because I wasn't sure if I'd ever take the test), my study time was fragmented, however, I really didn't feel like I had lost my study rhythm when I started my final review.
Now the exam: I had a great experience on exam day and thought it was way easier than I had expected and very similar to NBME forms 18 and 19, but I think that was unfortunately what resulted in a low score, because when the test is easy you're allowed to have less incorrect answers and I'm sure most of my mistakes happened in questions that I actually knew but changed the answer at the last minute (I was able to recall 224 questions when I got home and I counted at least 14 wrong).

My scores during preparation:

NBME 15: 232
NBME 16: 228
NBME 17: 240
NBME 18: 240
NBME 19: 223 (Really bad day)
Free 120: 78%
UWSA1: 232
UWSA2: 249
Step 1: 232 (Which is actually the exact average of my NBMEs)

My goal was 250 but I would have been happy with anything above 240.

I finished Pathoma a year ago and UWorld (with self-assessments) before I stopped studying while waiting for the permit.

Now all that's left is to ace the CK and move forward.

Congrats to all of those who got their scores today and best of luck to those who have yet to take their exams!

So those who took it July 22nd to July 29th should get their scores next week or is it the following week?

It seems like those who did take it mid July got their scores back so maybe the following two weeks would get it back sooner? Idk if that made sense lol
I'm guessing that you mean June! I took mine on 6/28 and didn't get a score today. My buddy took hers on 6/18 and got a score today. Fingers crossed the late June people get scores next week!

DO student

NBME 15-19 scores around 210-220
UWSA1: 245
UWSA2: 245
Finished about half of UWorld. 60% correct

Step 1: Mid 220's
I'll take it!

Reactions: 5 users
Okay guys score is back:
From memory my NBMEs were
UWSA1: 205
NBME 16: 205
NBME 17: 225
NBME 15: 221
NBME 19: 232
UWSA2: 237
NBME 18: 230

REAL SCORE: 218

Pretty bummed. I think I was an outlier. I had a horrible form and panicked. Half of my test was neuro and pharm which are my worst subjects. Anyway..... I want to do internal med.... and even the national average for internal med is way higher than my score. Anyway....I'm glad I passed but doing that much worse than the national average really hurts if I'm being completely honest. Congrats to everyone else who got their scores and did well today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Glad this chapter finally comes to a close
Goal: 250+, but satisfied with a 240+

NBME 13: 238
NBME 17: 236
UWSA1: 241
NBME 16: 234
UWSA 2: 251
NBME 18: 246
Free 120: 89%

Real deal: 248

Overall I think the exam was challenging, but fair. UFAPS is plenty. There's always going to be questions that will make you want to **** on the NBME's doorstep, but that's the nature of the beast. In terms of prep, I think the best thing you can do is to study hard your first 2 years to get yourself a high baseline score going into dedicated. Congrats on being done guys! One step closer to being MD's!

Seeing all these scores , kind of regret I couldn't get my 260, missed it by couple of points. Good luck to everyone else , try to keep moving if you haven't done well

Okay guys score is back:

I've already cried. I think I was an outlier. I had a horrible form and panicked. Half of my test was neuro and pharm which are my worst subjects. Anyway..... I want to do internal med.... and even the national average for internal med is way higher than my score. Anyway....I'm glad I passed but doing that much worse than the national average really hurts if I'm being completely honest. Congrats to everyone else who got their scores and did well today.

Congrats on passing and trust me I would love to achieve close to where you scored. Would love to briefly hear your resources used and how long your dedicated was? Thank you!

Okay guys score is back:

I've already cried. I think I was an outlier. I had a horrible form and panicked. Half of my test was neuro and pharm which are my worst subjects. Anyway..... I want to do internal med.... and even the national average for internal med is way higher than my score. Anyway....I'm glad I passed but doing that much worse than the national average really hurts if I'm being completely honest. Congrats to everyone else who got their scores and did well today.
The average is 233 for IM bc the average step 1 nationally is 230 and so many students choose IM. 218 in no way stops you from doing IM.

Last edited:
Got my score:

UWSA 1 = 230
UWSA 2 = 226
Actual Step 1 = 210
U-World %ages - 64% first time through, and then was averaging 73-74% my second time through.

After I left the exam, I was PRAYING I passed... so GOD IS GOOD.

BUT... this just goes to show you don't know wtf can happen on test day.

Maybe I got screwed and got one of the harder forms?

Maybe I just dropped the damn ball by not doing any NBMEs?

Who knows.

Trying to figure out whether I can get either FM or IM and pretty much shutting out everything else at this point.

It is what it is.

Could be worse!

Still waiting for my COMLEX scores which I'm sure will be much higher than the USMLE.

USMLE made the COMLEX look like a practice quiz lol

Good luck to all of y'all that still gotta take it.

Work hard and just try to know as much as you can!

Any advice on what specialties for a US DO student with a 210 Step 1 would be appreciated!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Has >245 on both of UWSA and about 230s in my nbme. Ended up with a 236. Too disappointed in myself to say anything else...
Congrats to everyone who received their desired scores!

DO student here, had about 7 weeks of dedicated, used USMLERx, UWorld, Pathoma (did ~2/3 of it...), Sketchy (did all of micro and ~1/3 of pharm), and First Aid for reference. A little Anki towards the last 3 weeks that consisted entirely of my own cards made up of UWorld misses.

Real exam: 256

UWorld first and only pass: 76%
NBME 15 (8 wks out): 230
NBME 16 (4 wks out): 223
NBME 17 (3wks out): 232
UWSA 1 (2.5 wks out): 264
NBME 19 (1.5 wks out): 248
Free 120 (1 wk out): 87%
NBME 18 (4 days out): 252
UWSA 2 (3 days out): 258

NBME 18 and UWSA2 were the most predictive, and I took those within a few days of the real thing, so I guess that makes sense.

I don't have any secrets, or tricks, or great tips. But, as a DO student, don't get psyched out by people saying how hard it is compared to COMLEX or that its way more difficult than what we learn in class, and any other stuff. Just study hard. Best of luck to those waiting.

Congrats! Were your practice test scores pretty representative?

Not quite. I was baseline at 200 at the beginning of dedicated study. Towards the end of my studying, I was averaging 70% on uWorld (second pass)

A week out, my scores were all over the place, I took 17,18 and 19 with in a day of each other.

#17: 224 (T- 5 days )
#18: 215 (T- 4 days )
#19: 219 (T- 2 days before actual test)

Walking out I was absolutely convinced I failed and was mentally prepping for a 205. So many questions were ambiguous and I didn't have the nbmes' to instill any sort of confidence.

Real Thing: 226. God is real.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
DO student here, had about 7 weeks of dedicated, used USMLERx, UWorld, Pathoma (did ~2/3 of it...), Sketchy (did all of micro and ~1/3 of pharm), and First Aid for reference. A little Anki towards the last 3 weeks that consisted entirely of my own cards made up of UWorld misses.

Real exam: 256

UWorld first and only pass: 76%
NBME 15 (8 wks out): 230
NBME 16 (4 wks out): 223
NBME 17 (3wks out): 232
UWSA 1 (2.5 wks out): 264
NBME 19 (1.5 wks out): 248
Free 120 (1 wk out): 87%
NBME 18 (4 days out): 252
UWSA 2 (3 days out): 258

NBME 18 and UWSA2 were the most predictive, and I took those within a few days of the real thing, so I guess that makes sense.

I don't have any secrets, or tricks, or great tips. But, as a DO student, don't get psyched out by people saying how hard it is compared to COMLEX or that its way more difficult than what we learn in class, and any other stuff. Just study hard. Best of luck to those waiting.

Congrats on the score, any idea how many you think you missed walking out?

Long time lurker of this thread and SDN, and getting my score back today pushed me to finally make an account and post.

My goal score: 240
ACTUAL: 246!!!!!

Trajectory:
NBME 13- 200 (3/31)--> before I really started studying
CBSE- 215 (4/18)
NBME 15- 217 (5/4)
NBME 16- 215 (5/11)
NBME 17- 228 (5/17)--> not super thrilled about this score but hopeful that my trajectory would keep going up
NBME 18- 225 (5/24) --> pretty down this day.
UWSA 1- 247 (5/27)--> i knew this over predicted, so I didn't put too much stock in it
NBME 19- 219 (5/31) ---> at this point I was almost certain I would not make my goal.
Free 120- 81% (6/2)
UWSA 2- 251 (6/4)
Real Step 1: 246 (6/7)

Studying: I pretty much only did UFAPS to study + a little B&B for biochem. Did 1 round of Pathoma and Sketchy micro & pharm heavily during M1/M2 with the curriculum and did a second round during dedicated. Finished all of Uworld with 71% correct first round, and got through about 1/3 of my incorrects

I can not believe my score! Based on my practice tests I was expecting low 230s/high 220s, hoping for above a 235. I am here to say that NBME averages aren't always predictive. My average was a 217, which means i outscored it by 29 points! So if you are still studying or are prepping to study for Step 1, remember that there are always outliers. Don't let NBMEs or anything else get you down! Study hard, follow a schedule that works for you, and then trust in all the information you know.

Congrats to everyone who passed today!

Wanted to add some hope for those watching this who are having inconsistent practice exams. TRUST your preparation!

(in order that I took them)
UWorld Form 1: 239
NBME Form 18: 205
NBME Form 17: 210
UWorld Form 2: 239

Real deal: 233

6.5 weeks dedicated. Was feeling great with UWorld but having difficulty taking the practice exams seriously. Trusted my preparation and am very pleased with my score - was higher than my goal and higher than I felt like I did that day. Was expecting less than 220. Looks like my career goals for FM or psych are attainable.

Great job team.

Reactions: 4 users
Just made this account to share my nontraditional approach to Step 1 and give people some encouragement!

Background: I'm a 4th year US DO student... ended 2nd year confident I would do peds and was told by my school I didn't really need a USMLE score for that (COMLEX would suffice). Tried studying for both tests anyway between 2nd and 3rd year, only ended up taking COMLEX that summer because I struggled to even break 200 on NBMEs. Had some big personal stuff (hello wedding and honeymoon) that couldn't be rescheduled in July last year so couldn't push Step 1 back far enough to pull it off. COMLEX 1 = 539 (mehhh)
Flash forward to 3rd year... was never thrilled with most of my rotations including peds. Did an elective rotation second to last month of 3rd year and finally found my specialty! Unfortunately good luck matching gas without a USMLE Step 1 score... so Step 1 we meet again. Started studying every free moment I had that I wasn't on rotations (nights, weekends, lunch breaks, you name it). Had many many people tell me I was crazy because we still had shelf exams and other people had moved onto studying for Step 2. Worked my butt off and at first really struggled because all the nitty gritty detail stuff was pretty far removed from my brain by the end of 3rd year, even though I had more practical application from seeing real patients for a year.

Scores:
4/22/18 - NBME 15: 200 (before starting to study again)
5/20/18 - NBME 19: 203 (after finishing UWorld once without any intense studying)
5/27/18 - NBME 16: 232 (after about 2 weeks of time off where I studied 12+ hours most days, tons of filling in gaps, memorizing, writing notes)

5/30/18... the real thing... 246!!!! Literally was dancing in my bedroom this morning!

I realize that making a 29 point jump in NBME scores in 10 days and another 14 points 3 days later sounds ridiculous (and it was), but the reason I wanted to post was to show people that it can come together for you at the end. You have to be strategic about your study approach at the end and STUDY WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW! That's really all I had time for during my 2 weeks of dedicated. You can do it!!

Resources (when studying 2nd time around):
Uworld 1 time through, then did 5-10 marked questions at a time to check knowledge in my 2 weeks of dedicated time (maybe 200 questions total).
Sketchy micro and pharm - my favorite resource in the world! Highest sections were micro and pharm on the real thing. Did both multiple times between classes and board prep
Pathoma - used for most subjects during 1st and 2nd year, and crammed a lot of videos in again in the last 2 weeks but ONLY FOR WEAK AREAS based on NBMEs and my running list of specific things I didn't know (based on UWorld questions)
First Aid - never read it cover to cover (I really hate reading)... used it in last 2 weeks to hammer down things from my list of stuff I don't know.
Notebook - wrote out key info from all my weak areas during last 2 weeks from Pathoma and FA then reviewed/quizzed self multiple times and reread it all the day before the test.

Advice:
-If you're a DO student, please just take COMLEX and USMLE even if you think you know what you're going into and don't need USMLE.
-Flip side of that is it's not too late to go after your dreams if you're willing to grind it out if you're a DO who only did COMLEX.
-Study what you don't know at the end, use a list of specific topics or repeated weak areas on NBMEs to guide you... you have to be efficient with your last week or 2!

Best of luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Long time lurker, but I am posting for the first time.

NBME 13 (4 weeks out): 223
NBME 17 (3 weeks out): 248
NBME 18 (2 weeks out): 248
NBME 15 (1 week out): 263
Free 117: 91%
UWORLD 1st pass (timed, random, testing conditions): 84% (started from 78% at the beginning)
Did not use the UWSAs because they weren’t included in my subscription and I knew they would over-predict.

REAL DEAL: 263!!

Awesome score, can you shed some light on how test day went and how many you think you may have missed?

Got my score:

UWSA 1 = 230
UWSA 2 = 226
Actual Step 1 = 210
U-World %ages - 64% first time through, and then was averaging 73-74% my second time through.

After I left the exam, I was PRAYING I passed... so GOD IS GOOD.

BUT... this just goes to show you don't know wtf can happen on test day.

Maybe I got screwed and got one of the harder forms?

Maybe I just dropped the damn ball by not doing any NBMEs?

Who knows.

Trying to figure out whether I can get either FM or IM and pretty much shutting out everything else at this point.

It is what it is.

Could be worse!

Still waiting for my COMLEX scores which I'm sure will be much higher than the USMLE.

USMLE made the COMLEX look like a practice quiz lol

Good luck to all of y'all that still gotta take it.

Work hard and just try to know as much as you can!

Any advice on what specialties for a US DO student with a 210 Step 1 would be appreciated!!!

Look at the most recent charting outcomes my man, a 210 puts you in a solid place even for fields like EM, anesthesia, and neurology in addition to FM, IM, and peds. Surgery and the competitive fields are likely more of a long shot but based on your posting history you don't want to do that anyway. The only middle competitiveness field that would take some hustle to get would be OB it appears. Go round out the rest of your app and you will have some nice options down the road :thumbup:

UWorld first pass, entirely untimed on tutor mode: 80% (did maybe a quarter of my incorrects before saying **** it and moving my test up)
NBME 17, 18 and 19: 252
UWSA 1 and 2: 262

Just got my score back at 260. I'm barely holding it together. Do I do derm now or IR? Kidding, but really this created more questions than answers.

Youve always had a strong, burning desire for derm and ortho right? LOL

Absolutely distraught - 1Q, AOA candidate, plenty of publication work just found out my score and ...... 246.

Do I have any shot at a plastic surgery residency now? I am so disappointed.

Well, this has been an interestIng run!

Goal: at least 230 (but I didn’t really have a goal score set when I started dedicated, this was after I took the exam)

Total time for dedicated: 5 weeks

UWorld Percentage (1st pass): 60%

NBME 17 (before dedicated): 174
NBME 18 (1 week left): 215
Free 117/120: 70 - 75%

Actual score: 220

Glad that I scored higher than my last practice exam, but wished I hit at least 230. There were definitely some things I wish I did more or had more time for, but it is what it is. Hopefully this will be enough for peds.... I am content with my score and will make sure to rock Step 2 in a couple months.

217. Way worse than my practice tests! :( I'm trying to stay positive but have a knot in my stomach.

I really want a solid IM residency. Do I still have a decent shot at that?

Do I do derm now or IR? Kidding, but really this created more questions than answers.

Haha same problem here. My top interest is allergy but recently I've been more interested in the combination of allergy and derm. Told myself if I scored above a 255 I would start looking into taking a research year for derm. Guess I better figure that out soon. I'm just not ready to make a decision yet. I'm leaning towards just sticking with IM/peds tbh, but that might just be because I'm terrified of applying for derm.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely distraught - 1Q, AOA candidate, plenty of publication work just found out my score and ...... 246.

Do I have any shot at a plastic surgery residency now? I am so disappointed.
No. Nobody has ever matched plastics with a 246. You are screwed. Shoulda gotten 4 more Qs right.