USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Qester, Dec 13, 2017.

1. rev0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I bought Uworld again and started doing blocks again but this time around I focused on the explanations than getting the question right. I made anki flashcards for what I didn't know. I realized I wasn't spending the time to understand and put the material into memory. I spent about 2 to 3 hours per block usually. Then what i think really helped is actually buying and taking the NBMEs. I think that was crucial to understand how they ask questions and what content seemed to pop up more often. That really helped during test day. Most importantly, you have to believe in yourself you are able to do this. Confidence is key. and If I can do it, anyone can.

TLDR: only used uworld and the nbmes. Tried to learn as much as possible which made it easier to rule out answer choices on test day.

DrChuck24 and Reperfused like this.
  2. Freedom39

Failed step 2 CK with 203 (6 months ago). Retook it and just got my score yesterday.

UWSA 2 = 213 (2 weeks before exam)
    Free 120 = 99/120 (%82.5) (3 days before exam)

Step 2 CK = 222.

#2152 Freedom39, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    mymembernames and rev0 like this.
  3. Reperfused

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    So, you did not do any NBMEs or UWSAs the first time you took CK?

4. rev0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I did not do any NBMEs the first time around and regret it deeply. The first time doing Uworld I did not read explanations in detail and did not read the whole explanation. When you do a Uworld question, the explanations are more important than getting the question right, it just took me longer to realize that. After reading explanation after explanation I realized I was learning so much more and understanding the material to the point where I was confident that the answer I chose on step 2 questions were correct and why the others were wrong. I could not do that the first time around. Hope that helps?

Reperfused likes this.
  5. Reperfused

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, it does. Thanks! Good luck for your future endeavors!!

rev0 likes this.
  6. sarahsurg

Followed these a lot last year so figured I would pay it forward. Study hard and do as many questions as you can. I completed a second pass of UWorld in about 4 weeks (had about 300 questions left). For reference, step 1 was 226 and I'm going into surgery so needed to do well. First pass was around 65-70%, second pass around 80-85%. Doing back to back NBME was crucial to building stamina but it takes a lot out of you.

3 weeks out: NBME 6 - 218
    1 week out: NBME 7 & 8 243, 247
    4 days out: UWSA 1 244
    2 days out: USWA 2 249
    real deal: 253

Good luck!

7. FriendlyFH

FriendlyFH Arf medicine
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for sharing your experience, glad to see that someone is getting above their UWSA. I'm totally with you on the benefit of multiple passes of UWORLD. I'd say that I boosted my step 1 score 20 points by going over 70% of the UWORLD content in an extremely intense 5 days before the actual exam.

8. Bananabo223

I took step 2 over two weeks ago meaning I should be getting my score this Wednesday. I’m driving myself insane thinking if I failed or not. I got a 228 and a 226 on UWSA 1 and 2 respectively and 215 on NBME 8. On the test I had a panic attack through out the first 3 blocks and didn’t get to answer 30 Questions. Please someone tell me there’s a chance I passed

9. FriendlyFH

FriendlyFH Arf medicine
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Sounds like next week you’ll find out l. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

10. Bananabo223

[I should be getting it this Wednesday no?

11. USMLE_Pro

USMLE_Pro USMLE Pro
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    If it helps anyone who is freaking out right now, I did not feel like I did well on CK when I took it.

Deep breaths!

gigabyte237 and mymembernames like this.
  12. alprazoslam

Are the nbme clinical science master series question sets for shelf exams useful for step 2? Same question for the clinical medicine sets. It’s well know the three NBMEs are useful but wanted input prior to dumping uhhhh 400 bucks on all 20 something of the clinical shelf things the nbme has. Thanks.

Helpful = good for content not score predictions since I’m taking it no matter what lmao

Just to clarify not asking about practice for shelf’s just step 2

goberdoc1 likes this.
  13. Doc2b82

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldnt do "all" of them personally....except for maybe Medicine CMS....after one or two the questions start repeating themselves....at least thats what I have seen in my experience. I might do all CMS forms for Medicine just because its such a large chunk of the exam....I find them useful just to get an idea of question style and pattern.

alprazoslam likes this.
  14. Safa10

Anyone who took exam today. How did it go? I took yesterday ( Monday )and im totally numb rn

15. Safa10

Anyone please

16. Stonegate456

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Took exam November 1st. Does anyone know if results would be out today?
    I already tried registering for Step 3 successfully and my scheduling permit has vanished. Very nervous

17. Stonegate456

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Received my result 227.
    UWSA 1: 209 (6 months out)
    NBME 6: 209 (10 weeks out)
    NBME 7: 233 (4 weeks out)
    NBME 8: 224 ( 2 weeks out)
    UWSA 2: 247 (2 days out)
    Chances to match in IM? Old grad IMG

DocSpy332 likes this.
  18. Retropatronus

Non-Student
    Hey guys.

Gave my exam on 11/1.

Uworld average was 66%

NBME 7 (offline): 79.5%
    UWSA 2: 220
    UWSA 1: 256
    NBME 8: 215 with 40 qs wrong (freaked me out 2 days before the exam)

Real Deal: 231
    Step 1: 232

I feel like none of the diagnostic tests are accurate, they're just off. So just trust your gut. Not euphoric about my score but I realise it could've been worse. Content overall.

DocSpy332 likes this.
  19. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    Hey guys IMG here!

Resources
    1. UWORLD
    2. OnlineMedEd
    3. my Step 1 notes

Preparation

June 2018- July 2018: Review of step 1 material & OME videos (taking my own notes !) (approximately 5h/day)

DEDICATED (August 2018- October 2018)

1. 15 Aug: NBME 6 (baseline) --> 225
    2. 17 Aug- 6 Sep: UWorld (1 block/day). Taking notes, enriching my OME notes that I created during June/July.
    3. 7 Sep- 18 Sep: Review my notes.
    4. 19 Sep: 2 assessments back to back & 1h total break--> NBME 7--> 215 & UWSA1-->247
    5. 21 Sep- 23 Sep: CMS ( IM-1,2,3 Peds-1,2 Surgery-1,2 ObGyn-1,2... not sure if I correctly remember the forms that I did, but I definitely did NOT do them all)
    6. 24 Sep- 7 Oct: UWorld (2 blocks/day). Taking notes, enriching the notes that I had already created.
    7. 8 Oct-13 Oct: Review notes.
    8. 14 Oct: NBME 8--> 243 & 4x UW blocks
    9. 15 Oct- 18 Oct: UWorld (2 blocks/day). Taking notes, enriching the notes that I had already created.
    10. 19 Oct: UWSA2--> 260s (cheated in a few questions)
    11. 20 Oct- 29 Oct: Review notes
    12. (23 Oct--> practice session at prometric center= free 120q's--> 81%)
    13. 30 Oct 2018: REAL TEST--> 254

Comments
    1. Anki
    I only used Zanki's Anki deck for ObGyn and Surgery. This will save you a lot time, as you will realise that some basic concepts of ObGyn, Surgery will stick to your mind without effort.

2. Hours per day during dedicated
    August: 6h/day
    September: 7-8h/day
    October: 8-9h/day

3. Post-exam feelings
    So much different from step 1. Walking out from the prometric, I had literally NO CLUE of how I did perform. Getting closer to the date that I would get my report back I started feeling anxious and didn't want to talk about that. Weird feeling I had not experienced before. Anyway, I can see that that's a common experience of almost all of us who took CK.

Good Luck to all of you!

20. FriendlyFH

FriendlyFH Arf medicine
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hm, took it on the same day but my score is ‘t available. So strange. It’s not 11am yet, wonder how you got yours an hour ahead.

21. MDPhDyeah

7+ Year Member

I took it Monday. I do not feel good about it. I felt like I had so many questions with 2 equivalently good answers and it was really just splitting hairs which was better. I had one block that was much more distressing than the others. I was marking ~1/4-1/3 of the questions each block.
    My Uworld practices were 240-250s.

Everyone tells me they feel like garbage coming out of it so I'm hoping that is just normal, but I'm not terribly optimistic .

Safa10 likes this.
  22. WAMC2019

It seems like people have been scoring below their UWSA 1-2 exams recently. Probably reporting bias like another poster stated earlier, but makes you wonder what is going on. Also, are scores released on the 3rd of 4th Wednesday?

23. FriendlyFH

FriendlyFH Arf medicine
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    UWorld 1 256 1 mo before, UWorld 2 265 2 weeks before. Free 120 95% finished 20mins early for each section.
    I almost always do better on actual exams, so I expected to get around 260. Sad to learn that the real deal is only high 240, I’ll get over it pretty quickly because it’s not a bad score and the difference is unlikely to affect my prospect much at this point given I am in the mid interview seasons already. Still kinda sad. I enjoyed the studying and really thought I had known all the UWORLD content solid.

24. WAMC2019

High 240's is a great score, but I do understand your frustration of underperforming. How did you feel leaving the exam?

25. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    Scores are usually released the 3rd week after the week you took your exam and always on Wednsday of this week (this is either the 3rd or the 4th Wednsday after your exam date)

WAMC2019 likes this.
  26. The Ponderosa

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    STEP 2CK: 267

US MD PhD student.

Med 3 NBMEs:
    Surgery: 85%, ObGyn: 81%
    Psych: 90%, Neurology: 86% IM: 85%
    Pediatrics: 90%, Family Med: 85%

I used Anki decks that I found online for the clerkship but usually stopped doing the cards after the clerkship.

During med 3, I completed all of my UWorld questions for the respective clerkship. On weekends, I would do one block of random questions from all subjects to keep my learning broad. Importantly, I marked only correct questions that I thought were complicated or I did not know all of the answer choices. I marked none of the incorrect questions. This kept my completed questions in two separate pools.

At the end of med 3, my first pass UWorld score was 72% correct. My average for the first three months was closer to 65%, but this steadily improved. By the end of med 3, I had marked about 600 questions. In February, I also opened a Kaplan Qbank to supplement my learning on topic-specific questions, but I only used about 200 questions by May.

Dedicated Studying.

I completed all of my incorrect questions on Uworld at a rate of ~70-75% correct. I marked only correct questions that I did not fully feel comfortable with. Then I completed my "Marked Correct" questions (~75-80%). I then finished any last incorrect questions that came from completing the ~600 "Marked Correct" questions. Only then did I reset the question bank, ~15 days before my Step 2 exam. I took a 5-day break from the Uworld Qbank and exclusively focused on the Kaplan Q-bank at about 65-75% correct.

In the final 5 days before my exam, I did Uworld all, random, timed and was scoring >90% correct each block. By this point, most questions seemed easy and I was finishing blocks with >20minutes to spare, but I was also recognizing questions from previous attempts. I knew the Uworld Qbank so well that these questions were diminishing margins of return, so I decided to devote more time to my Kaplan Qbank where I was scoring around 70% instead. I continued Zanki cards (~300/day) throughout this.

STATS
    Step 1: 252
    (2013 before PhD)
    Uworld first pass: 72%
    Uworld (after reset): 93%
    (only 400 questions completed)
    Kaplan 2CK: 70% (only 800 questions completed)

Free 120Q: 85% (August)
    UWSA1: 260 (October 7th)
    UWSA2: 252 (October 20th)
    NBME8: 259 (October 24th)

Actual STEP 2 CK: 267 (Oct 28th)
    • Worst subjects: MSK/Skin/SoftTissue, Female Reproductive
    • Best subjects: Immunology (PhD on this subject), Nervous system (matching into NSG)
    How much dedicated time did I devote to Step 2CK?

Approximately 4 weeks of interrupted time. I studied Uworld in between neurosurgery subinternships throughout the summer. After my final subinternship, I was looking forward to 3 weeks of dedicated preparation, but October interviews interrupted my second week of studying. I originally planned to take Step 2CK on October 31st (Halloween), but I got an interview invite for that day so 7 days before my planned Step 2CK, I moved UP the exam by 3 days so I could make the interview. That was stressful, but I knew I was ready to do well. I only sacrificed a few days on Zanki and probably ~320 Uworld and Kaplan questions.​

TL/DR: Mark your correct answers but do NOT mark your incorrect answers. Kaplan Qbank is a decent secondary resource once you master Uworld. I over-performed from my practice exams.

AMA. Good luck!

#2176 The Ponderosa, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    DocSpy332 likes this.
  27. FrankyBoB0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mind sh
    Would you mind sharing how you felt after the exam. I traditontraly score well but I know I missed at least 15 on my exam and probably more. Pretty anxious to see my final acore.

28. The Ponderosa

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sure.

Day of Exam

I took the time to complete the 15-minute manual. This cut into my break-time but calmed my nerves and I got comfortable with the chair, desk, software, and testing environment. Silence is important to me, so I checked that I could wear ear-plugs and still hear the headset sounds (ie for heart auscultation questions). Clicking the mouse to cross-out answers was harder than on Uworld software. Annoying! I probably wasted a cumulative 3 minutes throughout the exam just trying to strike-out wrong answers.

I did three blocks in a row and felt my concentration was fatiguing toward the end of the third block, so I took a 20-minute break to go to the bathroom and eat (grapes, red bull, protein bar). I did two more blocks then took a 10-minute break. One more block and took my final break with two more question blocks remaining. My energy drink helped me in my final break for the final two blocks. Have sufficient food.

I was able to finish each block with 6-20minutes to review, which was different from when I took Step One. I usually read the last sentence of the question first, and often I would also read the second-to-last sentence because on UWorld the critical, differentiating clue is commonly there. Then I would read the first sentence. Sometimes, just out of habit, if my eyes started reading the first line and the stem was short, I just kept reading.

I tend to overflag questions in UWorld. On the exam, my first section was easy; 4 questions were flagged at the end that I felt 50-50 on. The penultimate block one was my toughest and I must have flagged close to 20 question. That was the first and only block when I felt unsure about how my exam would turn out. Throughout the exam, I got the first of the paired questions correct, so that boosted my confidence. On Step 1, I remember missing the first of paired questions and then being hung up on it.

Walking out of the exam, I was confident that I scored at least within one standard deviation of my practice exams, so at least 240s, and estimated that I would be in mid 250s or maybe low 260s. I was mentally tired but also excited to be done, so I went home and stayed up until about 1AM trying to figure out if I got answers wrong or right. I was happy to find out I got a 267 right before Thanksgiving.

#2178 The Ponderosa, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    FrankyBoB0 and Propofol_Plug like this.
  29. cool93

Attending Physician
    took the exam last Wednesday.It was horrible.

30. Safa10

How were ur assessment scores

31. Safa10

is that true? Are uwsas not predictable theses days? And what could be the reason of reporting bias

32. WAMC2019

It just seemed like the trend based on the last few posts :shrug:.

33. cool93

Attending Physician
    uwsa 1-260
    uwsa2-240
    nbme 8-254

34. Teegirl

Took mine nov 20th. Came out numb as well like i sleep walked through the exam lol. I don’t remember anything on it. Hoping I pass and do better than step 1

35. PreMedical73

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Took the exam on Nov 7th, my permit disappeared but not able to register for Dtep 3. Read somewhere about if you passed you would be able to register for step 3. Haven’t gotten my CS scores yet either, permit still there, took it October 24th. Does permit disappearing but not being able to register for step 3 mean anything?

36. FrankyBoB0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does not work if you haven't taken CS. Only works if it's the last exam preventing you from taking step 3. My pernit never disappeared for step 1 and I still got my score on the projected date (i.e. third Wednesday of a Saturday exam)

37. Safa10

How u overall felt while taking exam. Im not asking about anything regarding exam,just what were your feeling about if it was doable . Im so scared idk. I didn’t have this feeling when i took step1.
    In ck i feel like i was clicking answers without critical thinking

38. Safa10

How were ur assessment scores

39. WAMC2019

Permit disappeared. I guess tomorrow is the big day? What time do scores typically come out?

FrankyBoB0 likes this.
  40. FrankyBoB0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What day did you take it? And do you mind sharing when you noticed the permit was gone (friday, Sunday?)

41. Zane2001

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can't apply for Step 3. Gave exam on Nov 10. Have passed Step 1, CS. I hope my result doesnt come tomorrow!

42. Teegirl

Most of the questions, i had no idea what was going on in the vignettes. Was guessing 50-60% of time. Self assessment scores were very poor (211 and 214) so no encouragement there at all.

43. Wipp

Ok just received my score - 239 i‘m somewhat disappointed

UWSA1 252
    NBME6 228
    NBME7 220
    NBME8 228
    UWSA2 250

Obviously my score was somewhat between NBME and UWSA

44. Safa10

Goodluck dear. I pray u pass with ur desired scores

45. Safa10

Congratulations u did it.
    Can u plz share ur exam day experience, how u felt about exam day and questions? We’re questions doable?how many percentayu felt like u know what they’re asking? And how many percentage approx u had no idea

46. Wipp

Sure - I did onlinemeded and uworld. uworld first turn 64%, second turn 93%(did about 600 questions)
    I also practiced doing 8 blocks (4 blocks uworld and a practice exam) a day a couple of times to see what the real thing feels... Despite that the exam itself was brutal... Did 2 blocks - 10mins break, 2 blocks 20mins break and then 10mins after each block...

47. serenity52

Congratulations! It wasn't easy!

You finished uworld before dedicated time? And how long was your dedicated time?

#2197 serenity52, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  48. WAMC2019

It must have diappeared over the weekend. I took it on the 8th. No score yet.

49. WAMC2019

Congrats on getting that brutal exam done with! Do you mind sharing when you took the exam and if they emailed you about your score becoming available? I thought scores were released 11am EST.

50. Zane2001

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did anyone
    I'm resigning myself to the fact scores might be releasing next week. I got my step 1 and cs scores at 8:30 EST. I gave my CK on Nov 10 (saturday). But maybe it comes at different times for different people.