USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone plz help, my scores are coming this week.i haven’t done CS yet. So couldn’t apply step3 trick.
But out of anxiety i tried to begin a new application for ck( idk why was I experimenting) and application is being processed, i left it halfway and now im super scared. Has anyone done this too ? Can anyone plz tell me what does it mean.
Just calm down. I am sure it doesn’t mean anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s probably gonna be 19th dec for ya. Can u plz tell how ur exam went?how u felt about overall exam and how were ur assessments?
It was a **** show. I walked out feeling horrible. step 1 felt more straight forward than this exam.
I did 3 NBMEs and they all ranged from 209-218. The last one being NBME 8 as 215. NBME made me panic so I pushed mine back a month. Did questions and did more readings for the next month, but I also feel like pushing it back caused me to start forgetting info.
By the time I sat for the exam, I didn’t know if I was prepared or just tired of studying. I probably flagged half of the questions during the first block and barely had time to go back and review. I just tried to trust my gut. As the blocks went on, I didn’t feel as bad as I did for the first block.
The bio stats was hard, I guessed for half.
I looked up some questions that I remembered after the exam, and I was shocked that I got some answers right that I totally guessed on. So I’m trying to remain positive. It’s been a grueling last couple of months between interviews, away rotations, and studying.

Edit: I’m also trying to resist from doing the step 3 trick, because if I’m not supposed to get my score this week then it’ll appear as if I didn’t pass.
That will drive me into insanity

Edit again: just for an update
Did the step 3 trick The day defore my score was released and it worked. I was able to register.
Real deal: 234

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It was a **** show. I walked out feeling horrible. step 1 felt more straight forward than this exam.
I did 3 NBMEs and they all ranged from 209-218. The last one being NBME 8 as 215. NBME made me panic so I pushed mine back a month. Did questions and did more readings for the next month, but I also feel like pushing it back caused me to start forgetting info.
By the time I sat for the exam, I didn’t know if I was prepared or just tired of studying. I probably flagged half of the questions during the first block and barely had time to go back and review. I just tried to trust my gut. As the blocks went on, I didn’t feel as bad as I did for the first block.
The bio stats was hard, I guessed for half.
I looked up some questions that I remembered after the exam, and I was shocked that I got some answers right that I totally guessed on. So I’m trying to remain positive. It’s been a grueling last couple of months between interviews, away rotations, and studying.

Edit: I’m also trying to resist from doing the step 3 trick, because if I’m not supposed to get my score this week then it’ll appear as if I didn’t pass.
That will drive me into insanity
You’ll most probably get ur scores on 4th Wednesday.i know it’s impatient to wait but Try spending time with family and friends so time flies by quick. And did u take uwsas too? I hope u get ur desired scores

Took my exam on 12/8. What a beast of an exam it was. Wouldn't say super hard because if you really manage to master uworld along with some decent medschool knowledge you should be all right, but the timing was just such a struggle in each block. I had to quickly guess practically without reading/thinking at least 4 questions. These are my scores:
Non-US IMG
Step 1:239
UWSA1 (8 weeks before): 256
UWSA2 (1 week before) : 260
Free 150 (1 day before) : 92 percent
Anyone knows when I should expect my score?

So I passed both STEP 1 and STEP 2CK, waiting on my STEP 2 CS scores, took CS on October 24th. The reporting period for my exam is Dec 12th - Jan 9th. My CS permit disappeared but I am really worried because I can't register for STEP 3 yet and idk if that means I failed CS!??! If so Idk how I would take the exam within next 2 weeks to get results before ranking. Any thoughts? I am a US med student.

So I passed both STEP 1 and STEP 2CK, waiting on my STEP 2 CS scores, took CS on October 24th. The reporting period for my exam is Dec 12th - Jan 9th. My CS permit disappeared but I am really worried because I can't register for STEP 3 yet and idk if that means I failed CS!??! If so Idk how I would take the exam within next 2 weeks to get results before ranking. Any thoughts? I am a US med student.
What does your screen say when you try and register for step 3

You’ll most probably get ur scores on 4th Wednesday.i know it’s impatient to wait but Try spending time with family and friends so time flies by quick. And did u take uwsas too? I hope u get ur desired scores
Thanks best of luck too. No I didn’t take uwsa. I did Uworld almost 2x

What does your screen say when you try and register for step 3

When I click Add New, it only gives me the option to register for STEP 1, STEP 2CK, STEP 2CS. and it doesn't let me register for CS again either stating "An open Step 2 CS registration already exists. If you tested, you may not reapply for the Step until your score is reported. If you did not test, you may not reapply for the Step until 7 days after your eligibility period has expired." My CS eligibility period is till April 2019.

When I click Add New, it only gives me the option to register for STEP 1, STEP 2CK, STEP 2CS. and it doesn't let me register for CS again either stating "An open Step 2 CS registration already exists. If you tested, you may not reapply for the Step until your score is reported. If you did not test, you may not reapply for the Step until 7 days after your eligibility period has expired." My CS eligibility period is till April 2019.

Step 3 trick doesn’t work for US grads, u need to have graduated and received your degree before. So no point in trying, have to wait like the rest of us. I’m an AMG and my permit also disappeared, tried the trick myself and it doesn’t work. Only ppl it can possibly work, skeptic tbh, is an IMG who has already graduated, and passed step 1, and 2ck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 3 trick doesn’t work for US grads, u need to have graduated and received your degree before. So no point in trying, have to wait like the rest of us. I’m an AMG and my permit also disappeared, tried the trick myself and it doesn’t work. Only ppl it can possibly work, skeptic tbh, is an IMG who has already graduated, and passed step 1, and 2ck.

Thank You so much for your response! this helps explains things so much better. I wasn't aware of this information.

Thank You so much for your response! this helps explains things so much better. I wasn't aware of this information.

Its not completely true, but don't freak out either way! this exam has as way of invoking undue stress. Side note, I am a US med student as well, i was only permitted to reach the registration page for step 3 the night before my report was released. I DID NOT proceed past that point because as students, we can not ACTUALLY successfully register until after we graduate; as you know.

All the best!

Its not completely true, but don't freak out either way! this exam has as way of invoking undue stress. Side note, I am a US med student as well, i was only permitted to reach the registration page for step 3 the night before my report was released. I DID NOT proceed past that point because as students, we can not ACTUALLY successfully register until after we graduate; as you know.

All the best!
What date did you take it and when did you get your score

What date did you take it and when did you get your score

its been forever ago it seems. I took both CS and CK back in April. CK results came the normal 3-4 weeks after the exam and CS took seemingly a lifetime. Was that what you were asking?

Uwsa1 (3 months out) 211
Uwsa 2 (1 month out) 214
Free 120 (2 weeks out) 72%
Nbme 8 (1 week out) 213

Step 2 CK; 230
Just really grateful I passed. My assessments were all very low and never really improved. Not the best score but I m posting Just to encourage anyone feeling down because this thread really kept me sane.
All the best guys.

Reactions: 4 users
Uwsa1 (3 months out) 211
Uwsa 2 (1 month out) 214
Nbme 8 (1 week out) 213

Step 2 CK; 230
Just really grateful I passed. My assessments were all very low and never really improved. Not the best score but I m posting Just to encourage anyone feeling down because this thread really kept me sane.
All the best guys.

congratulations thats an amazing score. What were ur resources? how many times did u do uworld? do u think uworld was enough to answer most questions?

Uwsa1 (3 months out) 211
Uwsa 2 (1 month out) 214
Nbme 8 (1 week out) 213

Step 2 CK; 230
All the best guys.

Congrats on passing on the great score!

What do you think contributed to the difference between actual test vs assessments?

Were you not taking the assessments seriously? Something you did in the last week?

How was the test day experience/how’d you feel about the blocks, please do tell!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

congratulations thats an amazing score. What were ur resources? how many times did u do uworld? do u think uworld was enough to answer most questions?
Resource was mainly UW. I did UW twice. I think UW is good enough if you really study the explanations and make flash cards out of them. I also used OME for specific difficult areas for me like Cardio

Congrats on passing on the great score!

What do you think contributed to the difference between actual test vs assessments?

Were you not taking the assessments seriously? Something you did in the last week?

How was the test day experience/how’d you feel about the blocks, please do tell!

Honestly I still dont know what exactly made the difference. I did take the assessments seriously and tried to simulate testing conditions (did them at the library).
I was hoping for a score above my step 1 (228) but realistically expecting a score in the 210s based on my assessments.
The last week, I tried to simulate the exam condition. I would sit through 8 uworld blocks of 40 questions each, in random timed mode, daily and take breaks as I planned for the exam.
I also reviewed my incorrects and flash cards and prayed alot. Lol
Test day was a blur. I only remember block 1 and 2 being relatively easy. Block 3-8 were like ‘what the hell do they want from me???’ At block 6 I was tired, I caught myself dozing off a few times

Last edited:
Honestly I still dont know what exactly made the difference. I did take the assessments seriously and tried to simulate testing conditions (did them at the library).
I was hoping for a score above my step 1 (228) but realistically expecting a score in the 210s based on my assessments.
The last week, I tried to simulate the exam condition. I would sit through 8 uworld blocks of 40 questions each, in random timed mode, daily and take breaks as I planned for the exam.
I also reviewed my incorrects and flash cards and prayed alot. Lol

Yea I have about a week left... so I’m just trying to Uworld as much as humanly possible. Taking UWSA1 right now and I’m dozing off lol can’t imagine 8 blocks in one shot

Uwsa1 (3 months out) 211
Uwsa 2 (1 month out) 214
Nbme 8 (1 week out) 213

Step 2 CK; 230
All the best guys.
Huge congrats and your score is great, id love tk get that score cos its above my step 1 score too. You worked hard and you did real good. This thread is also maintaining my sanity. Woulda lost it days ago if not for this.
Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
hey guys, hope all of you are doing well. I just started my CK prep. Can someone tell me what are the "nbmes" of CK? I mean how will I assess my progress? Is it smart to for step 3 uw too? How long on average should it take me to get done with my first round of uw? And how many times should I do uw? Thanks!

hey guys, hope all of you are doing well. I just started my CK prep. Can someone tell me what are the "nbmes" of CK? I mean how will I assess my progress? Is it smart to for step 3 uw too? How long on average should it take me to get done with my first round of uw? And how many times should I do uw? Thanks!
Well, il try to answer this. For the "NBME's" of CK, UWorld self assessments are generally more reliable predictors than the actual NBME's according to alot of people on here. So taking those close to your exam should give you a pretty good estimate of how well you'll do. The actual NBME's (6,7 and 8) tend to underpredict especially 7. But you should take those too because they also help you predict to an extent. For how long it should take you to finish Uworld first round, this depends entirely on you and how fast you are going. Creating an estimate wouldnt do you much good. Folks generally go through Uworld twice but mastering the material is what you want to do. If it takes you 3 go throughs then knock yourself out. :). Im guessing your question about step 3 is asking if you should go for step 3 Uworld? I dont have any experience with this. Sorry
Anyone with more knowledge, please correct me where im wrong. Hope i helped ;)

Well, il try to answer this. For the "NBME's" of CK, UWorld self assessments are generally more reliable predictors than the actual NBME's according to alot of people on here. So taking those close to your exam should give you a pretty good estimate of how well you'll do. The actual NBME's (6,7 and 8) tend to underpredict especially 7. But you should take those too because they also help you predict to an extent. For how long it should take you to finish Uworld first round, this depends entirely on you and how fast you are going. Creating an estimate wouldnt do you much good. Folks generally go through Uworld twice but mastering the material is what you want to do. If it takes you 3 go throughs then knock yourself out. :). Im guessing your question about step 3 is asking if you should go for step 3 Uworld? I dont have any experience with this. Sorry
Anyone with more knowledge, please correct me where im wrong. Hope i helped ;)
Thanks for replying! and yes that helped alot. :) The main focus should be on UW from what I've seen right? And which MTB is better 2 or 3? I've seen people use both which confuses me a bit. Why not stick to the latest one or the better one? I'm trying to get a 245+ score (have to beat my step 1 score) so I'm kind of all over the place on what to do and what not to do. Thanks again for taking time out to help me!! :D

I have a terrible headache after taking NBME 6, I was expecting to score 220+ as I breezed through it relatively quickly. The questions seemed simple and to the point, until I got my shocking score of 209 with 36 incorrect. I stood up from my chair and sat outside on my porch and questioned my existence... Wtf happened?

hi, I just had the same experience with nbme 6 and wanted to know how your exam scores turned out finally? i got a 211, am half way through the first read of uworld, at about 69% and wanted to give the exam in about 6 weeks... think its possible to aim for 250 +? or should i postpone?

Hey all, current clueless M3 here taking exam end of March and getting my ducks in a row. Can you guys tell me what you think about this study plan?

Goal 250+ (246 step 1)
Between now and dedicated
Work through all of OME - annotating First Aid for Step 2 CK
Work through all of UWorld - once again annotating First Aid
During 4 weeks of dedicated
Do 2-3 complete readthroughs of First aid
Work through incorrect or tricky UWorld questions

Is there any other resource I should consider using? I'm not really big on Anki. I used sketchypharm and sketchymicro to good success in step 1, is it worth it to review that stuff again? I've been studying pretty hard for my shelf exams, averaging 1 SD above the mean compared to my class.

Thanks for any help and advice

Hey all, current clueless M3 here taking exam end of March and getting my ducks in a row. Can you guys tell me what you think about this study plan?

Goal 250+ (246 step 1)
Between now and dedicated
Work through all of OME - annotating First Aid for Step 2 CK
Work through all of UWorld - once again annotating First Aid
During 4 weeks of dedicated
Do 2-3 complete readthroughs of First aid
Work through incorrect or tricky UWorld questions

Is there any other resource I should consider using? I'm not really big on Anki. I used sketchypharm and sketchymicro to good success in step 1, is it worth it to review that stuff again? I've been studying pretty hard for my shelf exams, averaging 1 SD above the mean compared to my class.

Thanks for any help and advice
Dude this is wayyyy overkill.
Just study hard and do well on your shelf exams. This part is the most important, also the time to learn OME well. During dedicated, do 1 pass through Uworld, study every question. If have time at the end, redo all the incorrects.
Assuming your 246 on Step 1 wasn't a fluke (very unlikely), you'll get a 250+ easily this way

hi, I just had the same experience with nbme 6 and wanted to know how your exam scores turned out finally? i got a 211, am half way through the first read of uworld, at about 69% and wanted to give the exam in about 6 weeks... think its possible to aim for 250 +? or should i postpone?

I ended up with a 251 :) good luck!

hey congrats... may i ask how much time you had between your nbme and the main exam? and what did you do to improve your scores?
this is an amazing score and im sure you will do very well!

Thank you so much! Hopefully, the match works out for me this season.

Copying and pasting my post from 04/11/18

"I took my first NBME 2 months before my exam. Here's what my practice scores looked like:
NBME 6: 209 lol (2 months out)
NBME 7: 218 (1.5 months out)
NBME 8: 247 (1 month out)
UWSA 1: 253 (1 week out)
UWSA 2: 244 (3 days out)
Free 120 (1 day out): 89%
UW 1st pass: 72%
Real Deal: 251

Prep: UW x2, FA for CK, Online MedEd, and I also skimmed the Emma Holiday PDFs. I had a binder with the algorithms from Online MedEd that I would read over every night leading up to the exam. Random youtube videos for biostats helped as well. For difficult concepts, I tried reading Step Up To Medicine but I did not read it cover to cover (no time for that). ANKI saved me on Step 1 and I also used it for CK by turning my UW incorrects into flashcards that I would go over every day. Sometimes there are things you just need to memorize so whatever I had trouble with I would turn it into an ANKI card. Repeat all day everyday lol. That's the only way I can get info to stick. I guess it pays off in the end."

Reactions: 2 users
Current 3rd year DO student. Signed up for usmle for the end of February.
What do y’all think of my study plan? Run through Uworld twice, go through omed 1x, read blueprints/quick tables throughout (mostly on weak areas), and do anki (zanki step 2). I’ve got a day by day schedule too. Has anyone used zanki step 2 and had good results? Thanks

Thank you so much! Hopefully, the match works out for me this season.

Copying and pasting my post from 04/11/18

"I took my first NBME 2 months before my exam. Here's what my practice scores looked like:
NBME 6: 209 lol (2 months out)
NBME 7: 218 (1.5 months out)
NBME 8: 247 (1 month out)
UWSA 1: 253 (1 week out)
UWSA 2: 244 (3 days out)
Free 120 (1 day out): 89%
UW 1st pass: 72%
Real Deal: 251

Prep: UW x2, FA for CK, Online MedEd, and I also skimmed the Emma Holiday PDFs. I had a binder with the algorithms from Online MedEd that I would read over every night leading up to the exam. Random youtube videos for biostats helped as well. For difficult concepts, I tried reading Step Up To Medicine but I did not read it cover to cover (no time for that). ANKI saved me on Step 1 and I also used it for CK by turning my UW incorrects into flashcards that I would go over every day. Sometimes there are things you just need to memorize so whatever I had trouble with I would turn it into an ANKI card. Repeat all day everyday lol. That's the only way I can get info to stick. I guess it pays off in the end."

hey..thanks for the post and i hope you get the best program in field of your choice. Im sure you will rock!
Can i bother you with a few more doubts? How exactly did you utilize the FA for ck and was it useful?
Also, what exactly are the emma holiday pdfs and where can i get my hands on them?
Thanks again for taking time to reply!

Hey guys I m new to this forum. I gave my ck on nov 28th. So I shd be expecting my results this Wednesday rite ? I m sooo freaking out.
NBME 8: 237
UWSA1: 238
NBME 7: 218
UWSA2: 222 (4 days bfr exam; messed up the last block)
Exam was like I have no idea. Like everyone said mine ws also like 50% familiar 40% I end up wit 2 choices and I have to pick randomly 10% no idea
I am sooo scared about my results.

Hey guys I m new to this forum. I gave my ck on nov 28th. So I shd be expecting my results this Wednesday rite ? I m sooo freaking out.
NBME 8: 237
UWSA1: 238
NBME 7: 218
UWSA2: 222 (4 days bfr exam; messed up the last block)
Exam was like I have no idea. Like everyone said mine ws also like 50% familiar 40% I end up wit 2 choices and I have to pick randomly 10% no idea
I am sooo scared about my results.
did you check on your permit link? some people I see are getting results 4 weeks from exam date

Ya. It’s says the permit is not available anymore
I think the "trick" is to see whether the link is actually there or not....if you log into your account and the "print permit" link is still there....I think theres a chance you might not be getting the results this week.....if you are going to get results that week the link itself completely disappears so theres nothing to click on that would give you that error message. This is based on what I have read other people share....might be wrong though....hopefully someone else can chime in who has experience with it.

I think the "trick" is to see whether the link is actually there or not....if you log into your account and the "print permit" link is still there....I think theres a chance you might not be getting the results this week.....if you are going to get results that week the link itself completely disappears so theres nothing to click on that would give you that error message. This is based on what I have read other people share....might be wrong though....hopefully someone else can chime in who has experience with it.
Oh ok. So I signed in and checked. Thr ws this permit link. Wen I clicked on it , said an error msg and mentioned the applicant has already given the exam

For those who are as neurotic as I am,
I’m supposed to get my score on Wednesday. I tried the step 3 trick and it worked!
I attempted registering a couple weeks ago when I first heard about the trick just see how what pops up, and it didn’t let me register then. Stated that I didn’t meet all the eligibility requirements.
I tried it to today and it lets me register all the way to the point where you have to pay.
The exam was hard and I really was afraid of failing. We shall see what happens on Wednesday.
Btw I’m a US MD grad and already passed CS (someone on here was saying that it only works for IMGs).

Hey friends, I have exam in 10 days. There is a lot of stuff yet to revise. I gave UWSAs and two nbmes and have done good in them(>250). I don't know why but somehow, I don’t have the confidence that I had while giving my step 1. It just feels that there is so much stuff in CK and it is not just limited to UW. I don’t know what I should do in these 10 days.
Also, is it really necessary for you to score better in your CK than in your Step1?
Shall appreciate your help.

Hello everyone, I took step 2 ck on Dec 13th and the test was brutal. I came out of it super tired and disheartened. I'm felt that questions were extremely long and didn't have enough time in each block. In two blocks I had to pick an answer for the last two questions without even reading it. I remember that coming out of step 1 I felt confident but not with step 2ck. Right now I'm just praying that I passed.

anyone expecting scores this wed not been able to sign up for step 3? just wondering if there's any merit to it when my time comes...TIA

Exam in a couple days. Any advice? What should I do the day before? Chill? Read something special?

Should I print out my exam permit or can I just show it to them on my phone?

Thanks guys! This forum has been really helpful!

hey..thanks for the post and i hope you get the best program in field of your choice. Im sure you will rock!
Can i bother you with a few more doubts? How exactly did you utilize the FA for ck and was it useful?
Also, what exactly are the emma holiday pdfs and where can i get my hands on them?
Thanks again for taking time to reply!

Thanks. Just google "Emma Holiday PDFs" and they should come up. She was a MS-4 I believe who made her own slideshow presentations for her clerkship rotations and then presented them at live lectures. They have some great material in there with many buzzwords that you should absolutely memorize.

FA for CK wasn't the best book, so I just tried reading the sections as I reviewed my UW incorrects and annotated.