Official 2019 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
26 mins! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, look who's going to be a psychiatrist!! YAAASSS!! (FYI, I didn't receive an NRMP email yet, but it's updated on the website).

Student Doctor Network, thanks for the advice and camaraderie throughout pre-med, medical school and now the match!

Reactions: 9 users
Well, look who's going to be a psychiatrist!! YAAASSS!! (FYI, I didn't receive an NRMP email yet, but it's updated on the website).

Student Doctor Network, thanks for the advice and camaraderie throughout pre-med, medical school and now the match!
Congratulations, and good luck everyone!

Congrats to everyone who matched. I was not one of the lucky many, so I'm going to try and grab a neuro spot (if possible) or FM in the SOAP.

Good luck to you guys.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who matched. I was not one of the lucky many, so I'm going to try and grab a neuro spot (if possible) or FM in the SOAP.

Good luck to you guys.
I think there are some psych positions in the SOAP as well. Sorry you're going through this, good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Hope you get one! Sorry this happened to you☹️

Good luck to you guys.

Ya I'm not sure how to deal with this. I didnt match. I had good boards. Good interviews. and it still didnt work out.

Ya I'm not sure how to deal with this. I didnt match. I had good boards. Good interviews. and it still didnt work out.

This is so insane man. I'm so sorry. I don't understand this process at all..I have a DO classmate with a <200 step 1, awkward personality, who matched today. Nothing about this makes sense...it's complete bs.

Reactions: 1 users

I am so sorry, I didn’t match last year. I know how it feels... Hope u get a position through Soap

Reactions: 1 users
How many psychiatry programs went unfilled ? Any way to see the results if you are not eligible or not participating in the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw 20 psych positions in the data that is available to everyone. 16 in South and 4 in the Northeast

Anyone know if those post interview surveys have any bearing on where you were ranked; i.e. they only send to highly ranked applicants?

I try to make this post every year if I remember, but I distinctly remember the disappointment of opening that envelope and not seeing my top choice. Now that I’m down the road I’m infinitely grateful to have trained where I did and things are so much better than I expect they would have been if I got #1.

That being said, have fun tomorrow!

Reactions: 15 users
With all due respect I'm really glad you're happy but i call BS on the idea that one is somehow better off than at their first choice. Thats bogus because it's a reality you never experienced. You made the most of what you got and you're happy and that's the lesson here...not that you're somehow magically better off that you didn't get your first choice.

With all due respect I'm really glad you're happy but i call BS on the idea that one is somehow better off than at their first choice. Thats bogus because it's a reality you never experienced. You made the most of what you got and you're happy and that's the lesson here...not that you're somehow magically better off that you didn't get your first choice.

With all due respect, I'll disagree. I found out things about my #1 after the fact that could have changed my ranking.

Thought experiment - my old #1 offers me a transfer into their program. They offer to pay for moving etc etc. There's no cost to me in any way except leaving my current program. I'd turn down that deal in a heartbeat. It might be hard for you to believe, but I am legitimately happier at my #3 than I believe I would be or would have been at #1, and I'm thankful that I matched where I did.

I'm not telling you you have to feel the same way, but I do hope you'll view it as a possible outcome to your current situation. Good luck.

With all due respect, I'll disagree. I found out things about my #1 after the fact that could have changed my ranking.

Thought experiment - my old #1 offers me a transfer into their program. They offer to pay for moving etc etc. There's no cost to me in any way except leaving my current program. I'd turn down that deal in a heartbeat. It might be hard for you to believe, but I am legitimately happier at my #3 than I believe I would be or would have been at #1, and I'm thankful that I matched where I did.

I'm not telling you you have to feel the same way, but I do hope you'll view it as a possible outcome to your current situation. Good luck.

Okay so there were extenuating circumstances about your number one. Cool.

I'm not trying to be a dick but revisionist history defeats the purpose of finding happiness and contentedness in what you have.

Last edited:
Okay so there were extenuating circumstances about your number one. Cool.

I'm not trying to be a dick but revisionist history defeats the purpose of finding happiness and contentedness in what you have.
I know you're bitter now, and you're entitled to feel as bitter and frustrated as you like. Take your time to process these emotions.

Aside from that, after you spend even a little time in residency (I myself am just an intern), you may find out that some things about programs are more important than others and may get new revealing information about programs on your rank list, so that, aside from the psychological defense of justifying the program you matched to as a better fit for you in order to cope with being there, you may also notice your retrospective rank list to change. Mine certainly changed *a lot*. Hindsight 20/20, and I thank the Match gods that I matched where I did and not at my number one.

So that you know, not only did I not match at my number one - it was my home program, too! I did several psychiatry research projects during medical school (all of which got published and which I could have continued if I matched there) and was involved with my home psychiatry department in many other ways throughout medical school. I thought I had a good relationship with faculty and residents there. So I was not only shocked I didn't match there (pardon my entitlement), I felt *personally* rejected (as in, how come you guys don't like me after all this time?) and I never got closure i.e. never found why I didn't match there.
But you know what? Who gives a rat's a $$. I genuinely love my residency program (and my geographic location) and, while no program is perfect, I found that the culture/environment here are definitely a better fit for me, and also found many opportunities of interest to me that weren't available at my home program (and I know my home former program really well).
Not to mention, it's great to be where people want you. It's certainly a narcissistic injury not to be wanted higher on your rank list and especially not at your home program, but just think that people at your future program are excited for you to join them! I know we're excited about our incoming PGY-1 class, and I'm personally excited because I met half of the incoming class at pre-interview dinners and liked them a lot :)

So I feel you. I was very upset on/after the Match day. Hopefully you'll process these feeling and will start getting excited about starting residency at your program. I know I did. You have a lot to look forward to and, who knows, you may change the way you're thinking about the programs on your rank list.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm actually not bitter at all. I matched at a program i ranked. I put it on my list knowing I could end up there. That bitterness assumption is played out. I'm pissed at my home program but I'm excited about the future.

I've just always hated revisionist history because it embraces a reality that exists while putting down one that never came to be. In my mind it defeats the purpose of finding contentedness where you are.

Just a word of warning before you post more inane lectures. I'm in my thirties with a bunch of work experience before med school. I don't have a wife and kids but i bloody dare you to tell someone that does that it's a good thing they didn't match their first choice when they had family reasons for their rank list.

Again. The revisionist history argument was weak for med school and it's weak for residency. The lesson in the end is to make the best of what you're dealt not to convince yourself that you're somehow better off because you didn't get what you originally wanted. Extenuating circumstances be damned...

Last edited:
I'm actually not bitter at all. I matched at a program i ranked. I put it on my list knowing I could end up there. That bitterness assumption is played out. I'm pissed at my home program but I'm excited about the future.

I've just always hated revisionist history because it embraces a reality that exists while putting down one that never came to be. In my mind it defeats the purpose of finding contentedness where you are.

Just a word of warning before you post more insane lectures. I'm in my thirties with a bunch of work experience before med school. I don't have a wife and kids but i bloody dare you to tell someone that does that it's a good thing they didn't match their first choice when they had family reasons for their rank list.

Again. The revisionist history argument was weak for med school and it's weak for residency. The lesson in the end is to make the best of what you're dealt not to convince yourself that you're somehow better off because you didn't get what you originally wanted. Extenuating circumstances be damned...
I found your post hostile. No one is telling you what to do. They are just sharing their experiences which I found significantly helpful.

I know you're bitter now, and you're entitled to feel as bitter and frustrated as you like. Take your time to process these emotions.

Aside from that, after you spend even a little time in residency (I myself am just an intern), you may find out that some things about programs are more important than others and may get new revealing information about programs on your rank list, so that, aside from the psychological defense of justifying the program you matched to as a better fit for you in order to cope with being there, you may also notice your retrospective rank list to change. Mine certainly changed *a lot*. Hindsight 20/20, and I thank the Match gods that I matched where I did and not at my number one.

So that you know, not only did I not match at my number one - it was my home program, too! I did several psychiatry research projects during medical school (all of which got published and which I could have continued if I matched there) and was involved with my home psychiatry department in many other ways throughout medical school. I thought I had a good relationship with faculty and residents there. So I was not only shocked I didn't match there (pardon my entitlement), I felt *personally* rejected (as in, how come you guys don't like me after all this time?) and I never got closure i.e. never found why I didn't match there.
But you know what? Who gives a rat's a $$. I genuinely love my residency program (and my geographic location) and, while no program is perfect, I found that the culture/environment here are definitely a better fit for me, and also found many opportunities of interest to me that weren't available at my home program (and I know my home former program really well).
Not to mention, it's great to be where people want you. It's certainly a narcissistic injury not to be wanted higher on your rank list and especially not at your home program, but just think that people at your future program are excited for you to join them! I know we're excited about our incoming PGY-1 class, and I'm personally excited because I met half of the incoming class at pre-interview dinners and liked them a lot :)

So I feel you. I was very upset on/after the Match day. Hopefully you'll process these feeling and will start getting excited about starting residency at your program. I know I did. You have a lot to look forward to and, who knows, you may change the way you're thinking about the programs on your rank list.

I think these are kind words and I really appreciate this perspective. I've felt throughout this process that it would be very difficult to make a truly informed choice on a program...it seems like all of the options/opportunities that exist (whether having to do with the program itself, or jobs for my partner, or schools for my kids) are almost impossible to assess without actually physically being in a place for a while. I didn't match to my #1, and I ranked it #1 mainly for factors that made my partner and I feel it would be the best geographic place for our family. It was upsetting at first after opening my letter (mostly because I think I had been building a narrative about what life would be like at #1 that I now have to let go of and mourn for), but I also know that where I did match will likely bring with it great surprises I did not see at the time. You only get to do this once (hopefully) you don't really know what life would be like if you had made different choices or things turned out differently (I think this is actually true for all of life), so you make your best, wisest decisions, and work with and try to be grateful for what you get. And how you end up feeling about how things turn out is often wildly different from your initial impressions.

I found your post hostile. No one is telling you what to do. They are just sharing their experiences which I found significantly helpful.

Congrats that you find this helpful?

Bowing out of this convo now because it should be pretty apparent how I feel about certain things lol.

Significant other and I couples matched our #1 in NYC, a place i tried like hell to get to for medical school. So grateful.

Reactions: 9 users
Significant other and I couples matched our #1 in NYC, a place i tried like hell to get to for medical school. So grateful.

So happy for all the couples who matched together! Must have been terrifying to open that letter.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm very excited to have matched at my #1 program! I don't say this to rub it in for other applicants, because I'm very sorry you did not get your top choice. Some of my closest friends are going through these mixed emotions too. I know you will all become amazing docs!

I am mainly posting to say that away rotations may be very well worth it, to future applicants and the general community. I matched to my #1 program on the opposite end of the country, and I believe that was only made possible by my away rotation there and having a great LOR from the program. I'm glad I took the risk, and I can't wait to start training this summer!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm very excited to have matched at my #1 program! I don't say this to rub it in for other applicants, because I'm very sorry you did not get your top choice. Some of my closest friends are going through these mixed emotions too. I know you will all become amazing docs!

I am mainly posting to say that away rotations may be very well worth it, to future applicants and the general community. I matched to my #1 program on the opposite end of the country, and I believe that was only made possible by my away rotation there and having a great LOR from the program. I'm glad I took the risk, and I can't wait to start training this summer!

I'll add on to this...I too did an away at a university program, in a nice city, well outside my geographic region and matched there as my number one...as a DO too no less. Feel confident I wouldn't have even gotten an interview if not for the away.

Last edited:
Input for ranking the following Psychiatry programs?
  • Mather (Port Jefferson, NY)
  • Nassau (East Meadow, NY)
  • Creedmoor (Queens Village, NY)
  • Lincoln (Bronx, NY)
  • Rutgers NJMS (Newark, NJ)
  • AtlantiCare (Pomona, NJ)
  • Baystate/UMMS (Springfield, MA)
  • Berkshire (Pittsfield, MA)
  • Harvard South Shore/Brockton VA (Brockton, MA)
  • Wright Center (Scranton, PA)
  • Campbell/Cape Fear (Fayetville, NC)
  • Arnot Ogden (Elmira, NY)
  • New Bridge/Bergen Regional (Paramus, NJ)
  • SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn, NY)
  • St. Elizabeth's (Washington, DC)
Thanks!

Input for ranking the following Psychiatry programs?
  • Mather (Port Jefferson, NY)
  • Nassau (East Meadow, NY)
  • Creedmoor (Queens Village, NY)
  • Lincoln (Bronx, NY)
  • Rutgers NJMS (Newark, NJ)
  • AtlantiCare (Pomona, NJ)
  • Baystate/UMMS (Springfield, MA)
  • Berkshire (Pittsfield, MA)
  • Harvard South Shore/Brockton VA (Brockton, MA)
  • Wright Center (Scranton, PA)
  • Campbell/Cape Fear (Fayetville, NC)
  • Arnot Ogden (Elmira, NY)
  • New Bridge/Bergen Regional (Paramus, NJ)
  • SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn, NY)
  • St. Elizabeth's (Washington, DC)
Thanks!

I know nothing about the east coast. With hat said I'd recommend you start a new "2020 official ranking list". The years that tend to get tacked onto old lists usually end up with much less traffic for whatever reason. Just a pattern I've seen from being around this site for far too long