Official 2019 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think WashU will definitely be better than Rush for underserved populations as well as C&A. UMD has more underserved exposure than either Duke or Michigan FWIW.

I interviewed at several of these schools this year and at least those are my feelings

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN Psych,

Can anyone comment on my ROL or provide any useful information about any of the following programs (good or bad)? The rank deadline is coming up, and unfortunately I'm still very undecided about the top 3 of my list.

My current ROL:
1. UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston, TX)
2. University of New Mexico
3. Institute of Living (Hartford, Connecticut)
4. LSU-OLOL (Baton Rouge, LA)
5. Texas Tech
6. University of Texas - Tyler
7. Indiana University
8. University of Kentucky
9. University of Texas - RGV

My main hang up right now is UTMB vs UNM vs IOL. I feel like any of them could be 1,2 or 3. My career goals include child and adolescent psychiatry and working in academic medicine. I deeply appreciate any pieces of advice or information about these programs or any of my list.

Thank you! Also, a big thanks to @TexasPhysician for helping me out in private messages before I got the courage to post here! Good luck to all the applicants putting together their rank lists (and to the PDs putting together their lists)!

I think you really need to look at where you want to live in this scenario.

UNM VS. IOL is a huge difference in location. How much do you like winter? I feel like the outdoor access in NM would really sway me away from CT. I've also lived in that area and I'm not a huge fan. I don't know ABQ at all... But it's got to be better than hartford slash west hartford!!!

That said, I really liked the IOL! If the location was different I would have put it higher on my list. The quad and campus are beautiful!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you really need to look at where you want to live in this scenario.

UNM VS. IOL is a huge difference in location. How much do you like winter? I feel like the outdoor access in NM would really sway me away from CT. I've also lived in that area and I'm not a huge fan. I don't know ABQ at all... But it's got to be better than hartford slash west hartford!!!

That said, I really liked the IOL! If the location was different I would have put it higher on my list. The quad and campus are beautiful!

That's pretty much how I feel. I liked IOL's program more than UNM. Loved IOL. But I undoubtedly prefer UNM's location. That's why I currently have UNM above IOL.

If any one has any information/insight into either of these two programs (University of New Mexico vs Institute of Living), I'd love to hear it because I'm really struggling with this choice. Thank you.

That's pretty much how I feel. I liked IOL's program more than UNM. Loved IOL. But I undoubtedly prefer UNM's location. That's why I currently have UNM above IOL.

If any one has any information/insight into either of these two programs (University of New Mexico vs Institute of Living), I'd love to hear it because I'm really struggling with this choice. Thank you.

I interviewed at both and really liked both programs but hated their locations. The PD at IOL was such a nice person and I feel like I had a really deep conversation with her. It makes me think of old school psychiatry. And people match into great fellowships if it’s something you care about. UNM had a cooler vibe and I liked that it wasn’t a stand alone psych hospital like IOL, ie you’re part of a greater medical community there. Ultimately, I will be ranking both of these places low because of the location.

How do you guys view new programs? I'm trying to decide who to rank higher between Christiana in Delaware where I would be in the second class or Einstein in Philadelphia. Einstein seems to have diverse training but heavy on the call with night float. Whereas, Christiana seems to have a better work life balance, however they did not have an involuntary psychiatry facility currently but were working on getting one or so they told me during the interview. PD at Christiana seemed chill and I connected with him better. Residents were equal at both places. Location is a non-factor.

Is it paranoid of me to imagine situations where the psych residency implodes or where I don't get any involuntary experience?

How do you guys view new programs? I'm trying to decide who to rank higher between Christiana in Delaware where I would be in the second class or Einstein in Philadelphia. Einstein seems to have diverse training but heavy on the call with night float. Whereas, Christiana seems to have a better work life balance, however they did not have an involuntary psychiatry facility currently but were working on getting one or so they told me during the interview. Location is a non-factor.

Is it paranoid of me to imagine situations where the psych residency implodes or where I don't get any involuntary experience?

I would take the more difficult known entity any day. You might have a tougher PGY1/2 but your training will be more robust, and imagine how your career will be if things at Christiana don't come together as you/they hope.

Any thoughts about Hennepin County vs Westchester vs St. Elizabeth’s, Boston in terms of quality of education and reputation?

Any thoughts about Hennepin County vs Westchester vs St. Elizabeth’s, Boston in terms of quality of education and reputation?
Can really only comment on HCMC but I really liked it there when interviewing last year and ranked it pretty high on my list. I know several of the residents there and they’re all very happy with the program. It provides strong exposure to community mental health if that’s your thing (that was a big plus for me). The biggest weakness is probably psychotherapy training; however it’s something they’re actively working to improve and there are opportunities to gain more therapy training if you want (e.g., MN psychoanalytic institute). People tend to write off MN/MSP because of the winter, but it’s actually a pretty awesome area to live and caters to a broad spectrum of interests. Also, the winter really isn’t that bad.

Reactions: 1 users
1. More established program with great opportunities with best group of residents you've met but is 2.5 hours drive away from your spouse.
2. New program at St. Luke's where you will be first class but had really cool PD and best pre-interview dinner ever with really approachable faculty. 1 hour drive from spouse.
3. New program where you rotated already, you'd be in second class, and know that you'd get good training here since you saw it first hand. PD seems ok, nothing negative. Upperclassmen are average. 1 hour drive from spouse.

Wife tells me to go wherever training is best. But I know it will make us sad to be too far apart.

How would you order them? Thanks so much for your advice. I actually really do take it into consideration.

Last edited:
I've got my #1 squared away but I keep going around in circles with #2-4. It's between UVM, Dartmouth, and Maine Medical Center. Things that are important to me are psychotherapy training, I'm 50/50 on CAP fellowship, and good schools for my kids. I want to be with an enthusiastic, hardworking group of residents and with attendings who are collegial and passionate about what they do. I don't care about prestige per se, but don't want to close too many doors. I see myself working in an academic setting in an administrative or educational capacity in the future.

UVM: I loved this program, the residents, attendings, PD, PC all seemed so happy to be there. I love Burlington and would love to live there. Lucrative moonlighting opportunities. Cons are basically just that my partner may have some difficulty finding employment and school options are less good than some other places (but not bad).

Maine: I was surprised how much I liked MMC. Most beloved program-coordinator of any program I interviewed at. Everyone was really nice and down to earth, residents were unanimously happy to have ended up there. I got on great with the PD and am interested int he work he does with BPD patients. Portland is great. Public schools seem ok, but there is an incredible private school option that we would consider trying to make work financially.

Dartmouth: I liked this program but it didn't "feel" as right as the other two. Beautiful main hospital on a beautiful campus. A lot of the residents seemed kind of down and depressed (but it was a gloomy, rainy winter day when I was there). The faculty were all very nice, but not terribly enthusiastic. I have some concerns regarding the fact that there is no involuntary commitment except at the state hospital; not sure exactly how that shapes training there. Public school here are probably some of the best in the country.

Would appreciate any tidbits of insight, particularly if anyone has any different impressions of these programs. I feel like it might be difficult to really get an accurate feel for a place in once day. Thanks!

EDIT: My current order is UVM > MMC > Dartmouth. What I am really seeking is input from anyone who got similar or different impressions of any of these programs, rather than assistance with my rank order based upon my current understanding.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I liked HCMC a lot, Too!

Can really only comment on HCMC but I really liked it there when interviewing last year and ranked it pretty high on my list. I know several of the residents there and they’re all very happy with the program. It provides strong exposure to community mental health if that’s your thing (that was a big plus for me). The biggest weakness is probably psychotherapy training; however it’s something they’re actively working to improve and there are opportunities to gain more therapy training if you want (e.g., MN psychoanalytic institute). People tend to write off MN/MSP because of the winter, but it’s actually a pretty awesome area to live and caters to a broad spectrum of interests. Also, the winter really isn’t that bad.

I've got my #1 squared away but I keep going around in circles with #2-4. It's between UVM, Dartmouth, and Maine Medical Center. Things that are important to me are psychotherapy training, I'm 50/50 on CAP fellowship, and good schools for my kids. I want to be with an enthusiastic, hardworking group of residents and with attendings who are collegial and passionate about what they do. I don't care about prestige per se, but don't want to close too many doors. I see myself working in an academic setting in an administrative or educational capacity in the future.

UVM: I loved this program, the residents, attendings, PD, PC all seemed so happy to be there. I love Burlington and would love to live there. Lucrative moonlighting opportunities. Cons are basically just that my partner may have some difficulty finding employment and school options are less good than some other places (but not bad).

Maine: I was surprised how much I liked MMC. Most beloved program-coordinator of any program I interviewed at. Everyone was really nice and down to earth, residents were unanimously happy to have ended up there. I got on great with the PD and am interested int he work he does with BPD patients. Portland is great. Public schools seem ok, but there is an incredible private school option that we would consider trying to make work financially.

Dartmouth: I liked this program but it didn't "feel" as right as the other two. Beautiful main hospital on a beautiful campus. A lot of the residents seemed kind of down and depressed (but it was a gloomy, rainy winter day when I was there). The faculty were all very nice, but not terribly enthusiastic. I have some concerns regarding the fact that there is no involuntary commitment except at the state hospital; not sure exactly how that shapes training there. Public school here are probably some of the best in the country.

Would appreciate any tidbits of insight, particularly if anyone has any different impressions of these programs. I feel like it might be difficult to really get an accurate feel for a place in once day. Thanks!

As far as UVM is concerned, my only input is that I would love to be Sandra Steinberg when I grow up. I haven't the faintest clue the extent to which she is involved with residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. More established program with great opportunities with best group of residents you've met but is 2.5 hours drive away from your spouse.
2. New program at St. Luke's where you will be first class but had really cool PD and best pre-interview dinner ever with really approachable faculty. 1 hour drive from spouse.
3. New program where you rotated already, you'd be in second class, and know that you'd get good training here since you saw it first hand. PD seems ok, nothing negative. Upperclassmen are average. 1 hour drive from spouse.

Wife tells me to go wherever training is best. But I know it will make us sad to be too far apart.

How would you order them? Thanks so much for your advice. I actually really do take it into consideration.
Never underestimate the importance of a supportive SO/spouse during residency training.

Would personally pick 3 > 2 > 1

You've already been to 3 and rotated there. At least you'll know you won't be miserable for 4 years. #2 is too much of a toss up being a new program, could be okay but could be malignant. As for #1, no matter how good a program is I just personally don't think its worth being away from your spouse for 4 years.

Thanks so much for the reply, I agree with you. As a quick followup, would you choose a new program, second class, with no involuntary inpatient unit yet that allows you to live with spouse or a more established one, with good reputation in a different state?

It sounds like you've written it as such:
2) MMC
3) UVM
4) Dartmouth

Seems like you really liked MMC and there are good educational options there as well as better job options for your spouse. Sound about right? You seem less than enthused about the location offerings at UVM vs MMC, but you liked UVM more, yeah? The way you wrote it, to me, sounds like you're more excited about the opportunities for your family at MMC but your pre-interview expectations weren't as high. Is that about right? Also, they both have a child fellowship right?

As far as UVM is concerned, my only input is that I would love to be Sandra Steinberg when I grow up. I haven't the faintest clue the extent to which she is involved with residents.

Wait. Who is that?

Also, the new CMO of UVM is a psychiatrist. I met her when I interviewed there. She's a total badass.

Last edited:

sounds like UVM, MMC, then Dartmouth.

Thanks so much for the reply, I agree with you. As a quick followup, would you choose a new program, second class, with no involuntary inpatient unit yet that allows you to live with spouse or a more established one, with good reputation in a different state?
It's Valentine's Day.
Choose your spouse.

Reactions: 9 users
I would absolutely love to choose the spouse. I am just afraid at the current lack of an involuntary inpatient unit (trying to get it in the next year or so). I don't want to come out poorly trained. Am I overblowing this?

P.S. You guys/gals are a much needed source of advice. I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Ah i didn't realize their neuropsych residency wasnt quite so established yet. I briefly looked into it but apparently didn't do my due diligence. Thanks!

Our Neuro-Psych residency at UTSW is not "quite so established" simply because it is new, not because the academic punch isn't there. I would argue that our training is top notch in both realms, and we are working actively to establish an interface between the two (which FYI has already grown exponentially). We have a website for the combined residency which may be worth a look, and I'm happy to answer any questions you or others would have. Overall, graduates from this program will be uniquely poised to see the brain from all angles which can be quite a boon. I'm already reaping the benefits in spades, and I'm only a PGY-4.

Reactions: 4 users
I would absolutely love to choose the spouse. I am just afraid at the current lack of an involuntary inpatient unit (trying to get it in the next year or so). I don't want to come out poorly trained. Am I overblowing this?

P.S. You guys/gals are a much needed source of advice. I appreciate it!
Worst case scenario you can always do a pgy-4 away rotation/elective at an outside hospital with inpt.

When you say involuntary, do you mean that the program doesn't have inpt at all? or just a voluntary only unit?

Worst case scenario you can always do a pgy-4 away rotation/elective at an outside hospital with inpt.

When you say involuntary, do you mean that the program doesn't have inpt at all? or just a voluntary only unit?

Voluntary only unit. Discussing how we'd cope in different states, even if I'd be living with my parents really throws a wrench in future plans for a family. I never thought of doing an away or something to get experience. It just bums me that I have to choose between family and, possibly, education. Thanks for the advice again.

Who's Sandra Steinberg? I don't think I met her on interview day.

sounds like UVM, MMC, then Dartmouth.

So this is my current order; and I feel pretty comfortable with my decision-making in relation to the impressions I got of each program.

What I am really looking for though is whether anyone else who interviewed (or has professional connections) at these places got a different impression than I got. I feel like the biggest shortcoming of this process is that there is only so much you can get out of a day when everyone is trying to sell you their program.

So this is my current order; and I feel pretty comfortable with my decision-making in relation to the impressions I got of each program.

What I am really looking for though is whether anyone else who interviewed (or has professional connections) at these places got a different impression than I got. I feel like the biggest shortcoming of this process is that there is only so much you can get out of a day when everyone is trying to sell you their program.

Loooooved UVM and ranking highly. Your impressions match mine with one exception: from talking to residents and reading their bios online, I got the impression that public schools are actually pretty terrific. Only other downside I can think of is that I believe they are currently lacking inpatient child psych exposure and you're certainly not going to have exemplary cultural and ethnic diversity of patients. Some people may be turned off by small class size and living in one little corner of the States (but if you're down with Maine & NH, probably ain't you).

Edit: Oh! And my Dartmouth impressions were pretty similar, too. Some fantastic resources and connections, but lacked sparkle for me personally.

Feel free to PM!

Voluntary only unit. Discussing how we'd cope in different states, even if I'd be living with my parents really throws a wrench in future plans for a family. I never thought of doing an away or something to get experience. It just bums me that I have to choose between family and, possibly, education. Thanks for the advice again.
Oh.

Inpt is inpt... if you have experience in one you can do most. The major difference is patient population. Honestly I don't think you'll be missing out by doing "voluntary" inpt vs "involuntary".

Honestly psychiatry training is pretty similar everywhere. I doubt that you would be infinitely better trained at one place vs another.

You're awesome. Thanks for the perspective. My final question I suppose would be how important getting along with residents/program coordinator is. The coordinator at one of these programs is a bit abrasive and I don't particularly get a good feeling from some of the residents, however the faculty, PD, facilities and opportunities are great.

A good coordinator is essential. You don't have to be in love, but a program can be on autopilot for a long time if the coordinator knows how to run things. Directors can come and go if you ask me.

Sandy does supervise/teach the residents if they do their community psychiatry at the howard center where she is the CMO. She is popular among the residents who work with her, but perhaps less so the faculty, some of whom may be less keen on her influence on residents. she brought a modified version of open dialogue (a type of network therapy for psychosis) there and has been offering patients labeled with psychosis the opportunity to taper or discontinue antipsychotics if they wish. this approach flies in the face of conventional american psychiatry so it's not surprising some people are not happy with her (though one can't please everyone).

Sandy does supervise/teach the residents if they do their community psychiatry at the howard center where she is the CMO. She is popular among the residents who work with her, but perhaps less so the faculty, some of whom may be less keen on her influence on residents. she brought a modified version of open dialogue (a type of network therapy for psychosis) there and has been offering patients labeled with psychosis the opportunity to taper or discontinue antipsychotics if they wish. this approach flies in the face of conventional american psychiatry so it's not surprising some people are not happy with her (though one can't please everyone).

It’s Steingard, not Steinberg, right?

So is anyone else ranking the new Kaiser programs high?

Yes, I love her for all of that and because I think she represents the faction of the critical psychiatry movement that tries to balance dogma with empirical reality. I admire what Joanna Moncrieff is trying to do, for instance, and find that drug-centered thinking is quite helpful sometimes, but she does have a tendency to pick whole bushels of cherries.

Loooooved UVM and ranking highly. Your impressions match mine with one exception: from talking to residents and reading their bios online, I got the impression that public schools are actually pretty terrific. Only other downside I can think of is that I believe they are currently lacking inpatient child psych exposure and you're certainly not going to have exemplary cultural and ethnic diversity of patients. Some people may be turned off by small class size and living in one little corner of the States (but if you're down with Maine & NH, probably ain't you).

Edit: Oh! And my Dartmouth impressions were pretty similar, too. Some fantastic resources and connections, but lacked sparkle for me personally.

Feel free to PM!

UVM just got a site in Plattsburgh for inpatient child fwiw. That put my mind at ease re child.

I would teach out to Dr. Strange there to talk about the opportunity if you'd like to connect with the resident that's there now. They'd likely be happy to help answer these specific questions.

@autopoietic are you a resident now? I might pm you as well if that's okay!

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out the top of my rank list and would appreciate any input.

1. Mt Sinai-Beth Israel
2. UCLA-Olive View
3. University of Rochester
4. SUNY Upstate
5. Hofstra/Northwell-Zucker Hillside

My interests are primarily psychotherapy (but I'm looking for strong bio and pharm training too) and child, with secondary interests in forensics and research. Career goal is most likely private practice but there's an outside chance of academics/research. Geographically, not too attached to a region but for my SO want to be in a place with graduate schools (lots in NYC, good amount in LA, limited in Rochester and Syracuse).

Bump. Just want to double-check I'm not making a mistake by putting MS-BI #1.

UVM just got a site in Plattsburgh for inpatient child fwiw. That put my mind at ease re child.

I would teach out to Dr. Strange there to talk about the opportunity if you'd like to connect with the resident that's there now. They'd likely be happy to help answer these specific questions.

@autopoietic are you a resident now? I might pm you as well if that's okay!

Oh, that's right. You have to take a ferry across the lake? And a resident told me they have alpacas at the hospital!

Lo, I am just an MS4 myself.

Bump. Just want to double-check I'm not making a mistake by putting MS-BI #1.

If you care about psychotherapy, I think MS-BI is particularly strong in that area. They even have psychotherapists on the inpatient unit during PGY-1 so you can pick up some skills early on. And the PGY-3 training seems quite rigorous.

If you care about psychotherapy, I think MS-BI is particularly strong in that area. They even have psychotherapists on the inpatient unit during PGY-1 so you can pick up some skills early on. And the PGY-3 training seems quite rigorous.

I interviewed at four of these five and would rank them the exact same way.

anyone have any thoughts on jefferson vs temple in terms of resident happiness and diversity of patient exposure?

ive heard that residents arent too happy at jefferson and the temple residents i met seemed more happy, however, it seemed to me that jefferson has a stronger program in terms of diversity of patient population (e.g. given temples location a lot of the patients you see are dual diagnosis) and jefferson seems to have a bigger name and thus more resources (or so it seemed to me...). however, i also thought jeffersons program was more rigid while temples gave more flexibility which i like and i really liked temples options of doing different tracks so not sure how to rank the two relative to each other...

this was just my impression though and i would love to hear what other people think/heard?

anyone have any thoughts on jefferson vs temple in terms of resident happiness and diversity of patient exposure?

ive heard that residents arent too happy at jefferson and the temple residents i met seemed more happy, however, it seemed to me that jefferson has a stronger program in terms of diversity of patient population (e.g. given temples location a lot of the patients you see are dual diagnosis) and jefferson seems to have a bigger name and thus more resources (or so it seemed to me...). however, i also thought jeffersons program was more rigid while temples gave more flexibility which i like and i really liked temples options of doing different tracks so not sure how to rank the two relative to each other...

this was just my impression though and i would love to hear what other people think/heard?

I kind of feel like Temple may be dealing a significantly larger amount with dual diagnosis and emergency psychiatry where as Jefferson is very CL oriented. I like addiction psychiatry but I felt like it was possibly too much at Temple.

I keep waffling back and forth between uvm and umass for the combined child program...

I love Burlington but feel like it might be isolating and while I'm okay with winter it might be a bit brutal to deal with the cold and snow for an extra month or so over mass.

UMass just seems like a much better child program overall as well with way more resources right at the hospital (ie inpatient child etc all in worcester) and more manageable call. Does that sound right?

I'm semi starting to panic because I feel like I haven't really made any headway at all in terms of my program choices haha..

I got the feeling that the Jefferson residents were very happy. The temple residents seemed pretty content as well, but I don't think i fit in there as well.

What are other people’s thoughts on Zucker Hillside in Staten Island?

So after we certify our list is there anything else we need to do on the nrmp match site? or in general aside from booking a vacation haha

Which "codes" am i supposed to quadruple check on my rank list? NRMP code and ACGME code? Thats it?