Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Took the test on the 2nd. Anyone else think it was hard?

Step 1: 250+
Uworld: 95th percentile during dedicated
UWSA2: 264 (5 days out)
Shelves: Probably averaged 80-90%
Study materials: Uworld & Anki cards I made from Uworld during clerkships.

The exam felt significantly more difficult than I expected. Felt like I was guessing between two answer choices for half the questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Took the test on the 2nd. Anyone else think it was hard?

Step 1: 250+
Uworld: 95th percentile during dedicated
UWSA2: 264 (5 days out)
Shelves: Probably averaged 80-90%
Study materials: Uworld & Anki cards I made from Uworld during clerkships.

The exam felt significantly more difficult than I expected. Felt like I was guessing between two answer choices for half the questions.

Yea man felt about the same. Did not feel confident on more than maybe 10% of questions. Similar scores to you on everything, did much better than I expected to. You probably did great, don’t stress!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!
Yea man felt about the same. Did not feel confident on more than maybe 10% of questions. Similar scores to you on everything, did much better than I expected to. You probably did great, don’t stress!

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the exam on Wednesday (the 3rd).
Definitely felt hard but reasonable. It’s just so longggg.
I’m just shooting for average, but I figured I’d add to the data points.
My practice exams were bimodal with NBMEs consistent but lower and UWSAs almost identical and higher. ‍I took 3-4 weeks of dedicated study time with a little extra studying in the months before (mainly to get through all of U World once). I just used UWorld, First Aid a little, UpToDate, and random OMED/sketchy videos to reinforce things I struggled to remember.
(Taken in this order)
NBME 6: 228
UWSA #1: 242
NBME 7: 224
NBME 8: 226
UWSA #2: 244 (3 days before)

Step 2 CK: TBD. Hoping my UWSAs are more predictive.

Took Step 2 this week and feels like I’ve got crushed by it. Hoping for just a passing score at this point. Flagged more questions than a NFL referee(20+ per block). Finished most sections with less than 5 minutes remaining. Total dedicated time was 4 weeks.
Practice exams were:
CCSE:260+ prededicated
NBME 7: 264 3 weeks out
Uworld 1: 268 2 weeks out
Uworld 2: 271 1 week out

Freaking out and could use some advice. Delayed Step 2 to 7/26.

Step 1: 233
Level 1: 558

Uworld: 64.3% currently (only medicine questions done so far)
(2 weeks ago)nbme 8: 198
(today)nbme 6: 205

Should I delay even further? I start sub-Is at the beginning of the month, so if I delay further, I don't even know when I would have time to study/take it. I'm hoping that my score will go up as I finish uworld, but I still have 1500 questions to go and not a whole lot of time left.

UWSA1 a few days ago - got 236. Still have 12 days to study. Am I safe to pass? Taking UWSA2 in 5-days.
I remember your post from earlier where you didn't score that hot on NBME 7. Congrats on the improvement!! How have you been studying? I'm also sitting on a low NBME and kind of scared to take another assessment test. Thanks

What do you guys predict my score will be?

Step 1: 235
NBME 6: 243
NBME 7: 223
Free 120: 87%
NBME 8: 243

Looks like you’re doing pretty well! Having read through most of this entire thread, I’d suggest taking UWSAs for the most accurate prediction. In general the posts on here have indicated that the average of your two UWSAs (if taken at reasonable time frames before your actual exam) are the most predictive. But based on your NBMEs, which overall seem to under-predict scores based on this thread, you should be in the 240+ range at least. But take the UWorld Self Assessments if you can; I thought they were the most similar to the real thing, and I just took CK this past Wednesday.

I remember your post from earlier where you didn't score that hot on NBME 7. Congrats on the improvement!! How have you been studying? I'm also sitting on a low NBME and kind of scared to take another assessment test. Thanks
Thanks very much. But I'm not sure it's an actual improvement. I heard UWSA1 can overpredict; but then I also heard that it's accurate. I don't know what to think anymore. As for studying, I've just been aggressively attacking UW. I would advise you to avoid NBMEs if possible. They underpredict and will just probably make you feel bad. Answer choices are also harder to review under the current system.

I'm nervous about where my mid-230s on UWSA1 is placing me. I want to pass but I'm not sure if this is high enough as I don't see many people scoring this low.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like you’re doing pretty well! Having read through most of this entire thread, I’d suggest taking UWSAs for the most accurate prediction. In general the posts on here have indicated that the average of your two UWSAs (if taken at reasonable time frames before your actual exam) are the most predictive. But based on your NBMEs, which overall seem to under-predict scores based on this thread, you should be in the 240+ range at least. But take the UWorld Self Assessments if you can; I thought they were the most similar to the real thing, and I just took CK this past Wednesday.

Thanks. I took the test this past week as well and I wanted to avoid doing the UWSAs because I heard they over-shoot your score like step 1. I'm actually in the 1% that did not use UW at all during third year or dedicated, so I don't know how UW questions compared to the real thing. How did you do on the UWSAs compared to NBME?

Thanks. I took the test this past week as well and I wanted to avoid doing the UWSAs because I heard they over-shoot your score like step 1. I'm actually in the 1% that did not use UW at all during third year or dedicated, so I don't know how UW questions compared to the real thing. How did you do on the UWSAs compared to NBME?

Fair enough! My NBMEs were all consistently lower (like upper 220's) and UWSAs were both higher and almost the same (242 and 244).
Based on what's been posted on here that isn't generally the case. UWSAs are more predictive for CK than they were for Step 1. I would guess that upwards of 80% of the posts I've seen on here have had people making close to or almost exactly the average of their two UWSAs.
But this is also just one sample size, so I've just been taking that combined with what my friends from previous classes have told me, which was to stick with UWorld. I honestly think you will be fine with those NBME scores though. It's all just a guessing game, but I'd expect 240+ range. We get to wait forever now!

Fair enough! My NBMEs were all consistently lower (like upper 220's) and UWSAs were both higher and almost the same (242 and 244).
Based on what's been posted on here that isn't generally the case. UWSAs are more predictive for CK than they were for Step 1. I would guess that upwards of 80% of the posts I've seen on here have had people making close to or almost exactly the average of their two UWSAs.
But this is also just one sample size, so I've just been taking that combined with what my friends from previous classes have told me, which was to stick with UWorld. I honestly think you will be fine with those NBME scores though. It's all just a guessing game, but I'd expect 240+ range. We get to wait forever now!

A 240+ would be nice. I walked out of there thinking like I got a 210+. August 28th will be the day!

I'm 3 weeks out from my exam and now I'm freaking out after taking NBME 6.
UWORLD 50% finished at 73% correct (1st pass with all my clinical rotations was like a 67% correct)
Took UWSA 1 last week (thought it was really hard) and made a 240...
Then I take NBME 6 today (thought it was easy) and made a 217!! I only missed 31 questions.
No idea where I went wrong... I don't know which scores are more predictive but if NBME's are the scores to consider then I am royally screwed.
Anyone else got a really low NBME score but did better on the real thing?

I'm 3 weeks out from my exam and now I'm freaking out after taking NBME 6.
UWORLD 50% finished at 73% correct (1st pass with all my clinical rotations was like a 67% correct)
Took UWSA 1 last week (thought it was really hard) and made a 240...
Then I take NBME 6 today (thought it was easy) and made a 217!! I only missed 31 questions.
No idea where I went wrong... I don't know which scores are more predictive but if NBME's are the scores to consider then I am royally screwed.
Anyone else got a really low NBME score but did better on the real thing?
My 2 cents as I'm trying to figure out the same thing - a good chunk of people don't even take the NBMEs to practice. They are said to be highly under-predictive. Sometimes by 30 points even...which seems to be the situation for your case. I know it feels terrible, but I would try not to worry about it. Leaving this here as advice for myself as I'm gonna be taking NBME 6 tomorrow.

All of these comments about step one-like material appearing on CK make me feel like I should try to skim through parts of First Aid before this test. Do any of you who have taken CK feel that this would be helpful or rather that it would further muddy an already muddy picture?

All of these comments about step one-like material appearing on CK make me feel like I should try to skim through parts of First Aid before this test. Do any of you who have taken CK feel that this would be helpful or rather that it would further muddy an already muddy picture?
I feel the same way..but everyone I spoke to regarding this said UW covers the step 1 stuff

It's not that UW covers the Step 1 stuff... It's just that it's too random and not worth the required effort.

For example, you could spend hours committing to memory every enzyme implicated in every pediatric disease (lysosomal, glycogen storage, immunodeficiency, inborn errors of metabolism) and get only 1 (maayyybe 2) questions out of it.

You can decide if that's worth your time or not.

It's not that UW covers the Step 1 stuff... It's just that it's too random and not worth the required effort.

For example, you could spend hours committing to memory every enzyme implicated in every pediatric disease (lysosomal, glycogen storage, immunodeficiency, inborn errors of metabolism) and get only 1 (maayyybe 2) questions out of it.

You can decide if that's worth your time or not.
What about brushing up on physio/pharm?

Does anyone know if that 2 month timeline is for all test takers from June 23 and up or just a few? I thought COMLEX taking a month was ridiculous but god damn...

Does anyone know if that 2 month timeline is for all test takers from June 23 and up or just a few? I thought COMLEX taking a month was ridiculous but god damn...

Wondering the same thing. They were super vague in their announcement but from what I could tell, it seems like there are a few testing centers that have NOT received the new question pool yet so for those students, their scores will be in 3 weeks instead of 2 months. But there's no way to know if you had the new question pool or not so I guess just keep checking?

I really hope it's before.

Because at precisely 10am CST, my attending (who I'm 95% sure is at least somewhat manic) pulls me into a lecture (really more of a rant) that lasts an hour. And sitting through that for an hour knowing my score is out will be torture.

Anyone who took CK between June 17-21 have their permit go down yet? This will be our 4th Wednesday, but it hasn’t gone down yet.

Looking for some more advice - have just over a week until my exam. I'm aiming for ~250 (241 step one).

UWSA1 and UWSA2: scored a very consistent 256 on both about a week apart (I would be beyond thrilled with that score)
About 1/2 way through my second pass of UWorld scoring ~ 78-79% timed random
Also have been supplementing some Amboss more casually when I'm on the go, scoring about 67% (I really hope step 2 isn't much more random and ambiguous than Amboss)
All shelf exams were 80-87 in M3

What would be most useful this last week? Should I just continue blasting through UWorld (I might try and make myself sit for 8 blocks straight to stimulate the test) or focus more on trying to get through the NBMEs?

I also really feel like the things I'm getting wrong are from a lack of book based content review. I want to skim back through my weaknesses in the Online Med Ed notes and SUTM, but it seems like too much!

Anyone who took CK between June 17-21 have their permit go down yet? This will be our 4th Wednesday, but it hasn’t gone down yet.

This method is inconsistent. Per reddit users scores up to the 21st at least will be out tomorrow. Somebody commented that their permit went away (6/20 test date) and it was not because of eligibility expiring. Seems like it only disappears for some, not all. You should expect your score based on the reddit info

Reactions: 2 users
Just a peace of advice a month after getting my score (I'm the foolish person that is annoyed at getting a 261 because shelf scores were a lot higher in terms of percentile and so were u world assessment scores) and reflecting a lot:

1. U World is a must, but so is paying attention during clinical rotations. There were questions that were really straightforward that I got wrong because I just didn't pay close enough attention. It's the type of stuff that isn't felt necessary to add to textbooks or doesn't sound tricky enough to make for a "good" question, so U World doesn't include it.

2. Reading Uptodate throughout your 3rd year during the day, when writing notes or just looking up management for patients, is important. It really helps you fill in the gap on stuff like atypical presentations and newly approved treatments. Some questions I got were straightforward but just little things U World missed. Also, U World doesn't necessarily have every single nuance of every single even common EKG or X-Ray finding. Some of the exam is just literally testing, if you saw something common, that UWorld doesn't emphasize. I think the NBME writers are familiar with U World, very familiar actually, and try to find holes to see who was actually paying attention on wards and not just relying on test banks.

3. I would REALLY focus on deficits of your clinical education. I didn't do very much outpatient IM at all! The consequence was that a lot of very easy management questions for outpatient IM, well I got them wrong. They were straightforward, probably so much so U World didn't think it was worth to make a question on them, but they required you to have seen the scenario or at least have read about it. I guessed some right and even initially reverse rationalized how I used "logic." In reality, many of the choices look theoretically sound but only one is standard of care, often due to the result of a trial where a strong correlation for morbidity and mortality was found but the causative pathophysiological mechanism has not yet been elucidated. For me personally, as much as the current dogma is "NO TEXTBOOKS FOR DEDICATED," there would have been benefit to reading about management for a lot of more outpatient stuff and even some inpatient nuance in STEPUP2Medicine, at least for high yield systems like cardio, renal, GI, pulm, and endo.

People are saying those who took it up to the 21st will get their score tomorrow... what about those who took it exactly on the 22nd (Saturday)?? Will we get our scores tomorrow or next week? Permit still there though I know that's inconsistent.

It just seems weird if next week the only people who will get their scores are the people who took it exactly on that Saturday, and anyone who took it on the 23rd and after won't get their scores until late August. Why can't the 22nd test takers be lumped in with the 17-21st test takers? :(

I feel like I was guessing on like 30% of the exam and picking from two on like 50%. Timing wasn't an issue, i just don't know what they were going for half the time... anyone else feel like they failed it?

just wondering, my 'print permit' is still there but when I click on it, it shows an error saying 'Permit is not available'... is that the same as the permit disappearance everyone is talking about?

just wondering, my 'print permit' is still there but when I click on it, it shows an error saying 'Permit is not available'... is that the same as the permit disappearance everyone is talking about?
No the actual buttons (print permit and confirm/reschedule exam) disappear

I'm very confused--are people who still have permits up who took it on or before 6/21 expected to get their scores?

Got my score about 20 mins ago. took it on 6/13. USIMG here. Felt **** coming out of the exam, thought that there was no way I passed. Although I am glad that I passed really really disappointed with my score.

CK: 215-220
UWSA1: 224
NBME8: 234
UWSA2: 231

Reactions: 2 users
I really hope it's before.

Because at precisely 10am CST, my attending (who I'm 95% sure is at least somewhat manic) pulls me into a lecture (really more of a rant) that lasts an hour. And sitting through that for an hour knowing my score is out will be torture.
Mine was released at exactly 10 am CST last month. Crossing my fingers for you! That sounds like it would be absolute torture

Took on 6/17 and still have my permit and haven't received any emails. Will be a major bummer to wait another week.