Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
UWSA 1: 232 (1-ish week out)
UWSA 2: 240 (4 days out)
Step 2 CK: 238

Not the best score but hopefully it will get me where I want to go! Good luck to y'all still studying out there and everyone applying this round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got my Step 2 back today.
Step1 224
NBME6-200 (first day)
NBME 7-230 (two weeks in)
NBME 8-250 (last week)
Real deal-254

Yes, I failed. Which doesn't make sense to me, at all. Took Exam in July.
UWSA 1: 223 (1mos. out)
UWSA 2: 220 (4 days out)
Free 120: 81% (2 weeks out)
Uworld: Did Qbank 4x during 10 months beginning in clinicals (65% avg)
Read MTB x2 with OME
Even went over FA for Step 1 which helped a lot (1 week before)

Real Deal: Below 200

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to do a score recheck. I felt decent after taking the exam.
I don't know what the hell happened, I'm going to do a score recheck to be sure. This is a major setback. I'm signed up for the Match this year, all my paperwork etc. is submitted and this is a major blow.

Hopefully this only affects me, I did prepare very well, maybe I did truly earn the fail during the exam... best of luck to everyone else.
Hope you're lives are going better than mine.
We are on the same boat, submitted a score recheck. Let’s hope for the best and don’t let this bring us down!

Members don't see this ad :)
STEP 1: 240

UWSA1: 271 (3 weeks out)
NBME 7: 238 (2 weeks out)
NBME 8: 256 (1 week out)
UWSA2: 265ish (1 week out)

STEP 2CK: 262. Felt like absolute garbage after the exam. I might have even teared up a little and I was very upset at myself for a week. But very thankful and happy about my score.

Reactions: 2 users
Took Step 2 this week and feels like I’ve got crushed by it. Hoping for just a passing score at this point. Flagged more questions than a NFL referee(20+ per block). Finished most sections with less than 5 minutes remaining. Total dedicated time was 4 weeks.
Practice exams were:
CCSE:260+ prededicated
NBME 7: 264 3 weeks out
Uworld 1: 268 2 weeks out
Uworld 2: 271 1 week out
Official Step 2 CK Score: 270+

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that your step 2 score dropped from step 1. I am disappointed by my score which dropped 14 points from UWSA 1 and 2 avg. (I did not do other mock exams). I scored 239. Are you considering score recheck?

In this day and age with a computerized exam, I don’t think the score recheck button should even exist anymore. I think it’s a hold over from the days of paper exams that were scored with a possibility of the grader entering the wrong form in to the scanners. Now that everything is digitized, I have never heard of a score being changed by a recheck.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, that was a wild ride! Got my score back today, extremely surprised!

3.5 weeks dedicated, used only UWorld timed mixed everything, 160-200/day. Reset the bank at the beginning of dedicated, had done about 2/3 of it throughout the year. Managed to do about 2600 of the 3000 questions but somewhat upset that I couldn't finish the bank.

Step 1: 252 (~88 percentile, higher than my best practice test by a few points)
NBME6 (day 0 of dedicated): 235
NBME8 (3 weeks out): 239
UWSA1 (2 weeks out): 257
NBME7 (1 week out): 237
UWSA2 (2 days before test): 255
UWorld: 79.5% second pass(ish, only really did half of UW during the year)
Target Score: 252
Practice exam average: 244.6

Step 2 CK: 268
(93rd percentile)

Really unsure how it happened, I felt awful taking the exam as everyone does. I did not expect to beat practice scores by this margin. Even accounting for the underestimating NBMEs, my average was still about 15 points lower than my real score.

Overall I'm happy with the score, feels a bit anticlimactic since I don't think anyone will actually care about it. I definitely think this test is more a thinking/guessing/"medical intuition" test than Step 1 by far. I was so beyond burnt out from this three week study period I couldn't believe it, it was a truly exhausting slog. I really encourage anyone who takes it to not exceed 4 weeks dedicated no matter how much you think you need it (unless you are ACTUALLY failing practices). I also strongly suggest taking the day before the exam completely off from studying. No questions, reviewing, cramming, no thinking whatsoever. You'll need a well rested brain and attention span to get through. It is a long day and the test feels longer and slower than Step 1.

If I can help anyone or give any advice please ask questions or PM, even if you're reading this in future years.

Congrats to all the people who made it through, and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Well, that was a wild ride! Got my score back today, extremely surprised!

3.5 weeks dedicated, used only UWorld timed mixed everything, 160-200/day. Reset the bank at the beginning of dedicated, had done about 2/3 of it throughout the year. Managed to do about 2600 of the 3000 questions but somewhat upset that I couldn't finish the bank.

Step 1: 252 (~88 percentile, higher than my best practice test by a few points)
NBME6 (day 0 of dedicated): 235
NBME8 (3 weeks out): 239
UWSA1 (2 weeks out): 257
NBME7 (1 week out): 237
UWSA2 (2 days before test): 255
UWorld: 79.5% second pass(ish, only really did half of UW during the year)
Target Score: 252
Practice exam average: 244.6

Step 2 CK: 268
(93rd percentile)

Really unsure how it happened, I felt awful taking the exam as everyone does. I did not expect to beat practice scores by this margin. Even accounting for the underestimating NBMEs, my average was still about 15 points lower than my real score.

Overall I'm happy with the score, feels a bit anticlimactic since I don't think anyone will actually care about it. I definitely think this test is more a thinking/guessing/"medical intuition" test than Step 1 by far. I was so beyond burnt out from this three week study period I couldn't believe it, it was a truly exhausting slog. I really encourage anyone who takes it to not exceed 4 weeks dedicated no matter how much you think you need it (unless you are ACTUALLY failing practices). I also strongly suggest taking the day before the exam completely off from studying. No questions, reviewing, cramming, no thinking whatsoever. You'll need a well rested brain and attention span to get through. It is a long day and the test feels longer and slower than Step 1.

If I can help anyone or give any advice please ask questions or PM, even if you're reading this in future years.

Congrats to all the people who made it through, and good luck to everyone still waiting!
Well done

lol are you afraid to say the actual score? I don’t get when people put ranges....

Nope, but I am concerned that if I plaster a list of specific identifying numbers in association with my account, which is already very identifiable based on having a specific background, coupled with what I'm applying to for residency, I am confident that one could figure out who I am. Which is not something that I want.

The point of posting is not to advertise my numbers anyway, the point is to show folks that are interested as they prepare for the test what modes of practice/prep were predictive. That way someone can find a post, say, "hey, these practice scores are similar to mine, what'd they end up with?... cool, I feel encouraged."

Last edited:
Nope, but I am concerned that if I plaster a list of specific identifying numbers in association with my account, which is already very identifiable based on having a specific background, coupled with what I'm applying to for residency, I am confident that one could figure out who I am. Which is not something that I want.

The point of posting is not to advertise my numbers anyway, the point is to show folks that are interested as they prepare for the test what modes of practice/prep were predictive. That way someone can find a post, say, "hey, these practice scores are similar to mine, what'd they end up with?... cool, I feel encouraged."
Yeah totally agree with the second part, but not so much with the first. There's thousands of posts here every year and 2 numbers don't exactly count as identifiers. But you're not the only one doing it so its not a shot at specifically you. I just noticed this as a growing trend or people writing 23X instead of 231. To each their own.

Non-US IMG here
I’ll preface this by saying that I have major anxiety when it comes to these step exams (which is probably cause there’s so much riding on it). I get anxious even when doing practice exams in the comfort of my home! (who else feels this way? Sigh)

Step 1: 231
I have a list of things that went wrong here (from poor test-taking strategy to relying on memory more than analyzing skills). Was totally shaken after this.

Step 2 prep time: 6months
Resources used:
OME: A lifesaver. I can say that relying on Dustyn (and uworld) can comfortably get you >235.
Step up to medicine: The best book for medicine hands down. I think some will find it a bit much but if you have the time, why not?
Master the boards step 3 for other subjects. I annotated into this like crazy from all the videos and uworld.
NBME shelfs: These helped to reduce the anxiety I develop when I look at questions. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to revise my notes before jumping into uworld.

My advice would be to stick to the resources you decided in the beginning and not add new ones. It can get overwhelming.
My last 2 months were exclusively for uworld: finished my first (and only) pass with 73%. 2 sets a day even on the day before the exam. This comforting routine and regular workouts helped me majorly with my anxiety. Also kept my brain sharp till the end. Didn’t do incorrects either cause again I would rely on memory/familiarity and it would mess with my thinking.

NBME 6: 220 (8 weeks prior and before uworld)
NBME 7: 228 (4 weeks prior)
NBME 8: 239 (3 weeks prior)
UWSA 1: 248 (2 weeks prior)
UWSA 2: 252 (1 week prior)

Had an episode of panic the night before the exam. But somehow managed to sleep a couple of hours. Exam day was actually a relief. A relief in just knowing that at the end of the day I would be done. I actually came out smiling (contrary to others here; I wondered if that meant I didn’t do well :/). After taking so many tests, I felt I would score >245. I shoved the questions to deepest corners of my brain, put a lock on it and enjoyed myself this past month.

Real deal: 250
I hope this post gives hope to others like me. It's possible to pick yourself up, give anxiety the finger and give your best.

Step 3 here I come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morning all,
Step 1 score: pass but low
CS: pass
229 - Step 2 CK considered okay for FM and IM residency applications? alongside strong LORs + research + publications

Input is much appreciated! thank you

Step 2 CK: 231

NBME 8 (3 weeks out): 235
NBME 7 (2 weeks out): 226
UWSA 1 (1 week out): 242
UWSA 2 (2 days out): 238
Step 1: 215

I was hoping for a better score, since my practices seemed to indicate I would do a lot better. Applying gas in the match as a USMD, so crossing my fingers that this low score in addition to my bad step 1 and average clinical performance won't set me back too much.

We have exactly the same step 1 and step 2 score, and I am also applying to gas! What a coincidence. As per the NRMP, we have a good chance of matching. Wish you the best!

Nbme 7: 220
Nbme 8: 239
Step 2 CS: Still waiting for results...

Reading everyone’s posts made me depressed and feel like a failure. Looks like everyone is a 250+/260’s, with some even in the 270+ range. I worked my butt off and only got a high 240s :(

Reading everyone’s posts made me depressed and feel like a failure. Looks like everyone is a 250+/260’s, with some even in the 270+ range. I worked my butt off and only got a high 240s :(
I think it is a skewed population who is posting. I think it's less common for people to post average to below average scores. But statistically, 50% get where you did or below. High 240s isn't bad! You should be proud that you got it over with.

Step/Level 1: 205, 544
Step/Level 2: 249, 596
Applying to path so this is probably sufficient lol. Happy about that step increase, hopefully programs take that into account for interviews instead of just the step 1 score as an automatic rejection.

I don't have very strong stats, so in the spirit of reminding the underdogs that sdn isn't filled with abnormally high scoring humans haha:

Step 1: 222
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: Pending

Applying IM, and trying to get into cali:xf:

We have exactly the same step 1 and step 2 score, and I am also applying to gas! What a coincidence. As per the NRMP, we have a good chance of matching. Wish you the best!

Nbme 7: 220
Nbme 8: 239
Step 2 CS: Still waiting for results...

Sorry for the silly question, but what's gas?

NBME 6 (6 weeks out) - 228
UWSA 1 (5 weeks out) - 252
NBME 7 (4 weeks out) - 217 (commence freak out)
NBME 8 (3 weeks out) - 225
UWSA 2 (1 week out) - 245
Step 2 CK - 250

UWSA's definitely were more accurate this time around. Test felt most similar to a mix of UWSA 2 and NBME 7 in terms of question style. Felt numb during that exam and had no idea what was going on. Walked out of there thinking, I'd probably be closer to the 217 end of the range. Burn out was very real this time around. Trust your prep and all the hardwork you've put in during clerkships. You remember more than you know. In hindsight, I think 4 weeks of dedicated would have been enough, not sure what I was even doing the last 2 weeks.

DO student.

Step 1: 235
Step 2: 241
UWSA1: 234
UWSA2:231
NBME7:224

Not really thrilled with my step 2CK score, given it is below average, but It could have gone a lot worse. I thought I had failed the exam miserably. I hope I could match into a good IM program.

Hey (wo)man, don't think of it like that. Your score is great also and will get you where you need to go no problem at all! I certainly don't want to make anyone feel like that sharing a "success story", I just wanted to put it out there for people so they can get a sense of what other people have scored given certain practice scores and strategies. These types of posts helped me a lot, I only want to pay it forward for the next group who may be looking around frantically (like I was) right before or even during dedicated to try and get a feel for if their experience is normal. I know it's only n=1 but sometimes when you're stressing over practice tests or progress through the qbank or feeling discouraged it's really helpful to be able to see someone else's path who just went through it.

As someone mentioned, SDN isn't a real-life reflection of things whatsoever and you shouldn't judge your success based on what you see people posting. If you want to get a real life representation of your score, check out the score report graph -- you'll see that high 240s is a great range, and based on the NRMP outcomes it will not close any doors for you!

Step 1: 242
USWA1: 253 (2.5 weeks out)
USWA2:257 (1 week out)
Disclaimer: I chose a lot of the wrong 50/50s on these practice tests; never felt like it was truly my best performance. At the time I estimated (or at least hoped) I could have done 5-10 points higher based on the day.

3rd year studying: Went through UWORLD ~90% x1 during third year + incorrects for each shelf, average was in the low 70s, probably around 71-72%. Also supplemented clerkship with AMBOSS for about 1/2 of the rotations. Did some USLMERx during some rotations. Average shelf %'s were low 80's. Did not do any flashcards throughout (which I really regretted during dedicated).

Dedicated time, exactly 4 weeks: Did UWORLD a second time all the way through. Did not do flashcards. Did some random missed when I had a day or two of time left after finishing UWORLD but by no means did I finish all my missed. Breezed through maybe 150 AMBOSS questions of weak subjects, didn't review or take notes or anything like that. Flew through Free 120 and a practice NBME in the two days before the test. Spent most of my nights during dedicated spending way too much time on here reading about how other people went down from their practice tests and freaking out. UWORLD 2nd pass average was around 89%. Towards the end I was getting >92% on every block of 40.

Day before exam: I actually studied this whole day pretty much, but the pace was pretty relaxed. I knew I would stay motivated day of exam and I wasn't worried about mentally fatiguing myself (I'm the kind of person who would have spent A LOT more mental energy stressing about not studying). Hydrated all day. Stopped studying around 6pm the night before. Got some healthy din din and took some powerful melatonin and went the f*ck to sleep. Managed to get in a glorious 8 hours and never felt tired during the exam day. This was IMO the best thing I possibly did for my Step 2 CK performance.

Day of exam: Felt okay during and walking out of the exam. Actually thought some of the questions were almost too easy. Then there were questions that I couldn't find the answer to even after I left the exam because they were that obscure. The more time that went on, the more questions I realized I had missed. However, I had terrible recall and I could remember about 10-15 questions after the exam (right and wrong). Assumed I got in low 250s / high 240s. Braced myself for a 230.

Snacks: PB3 protein packs, Perfect Bars, tiny sammiches, banana; Canned Espresso

Step 2 CK: 272 (~96%tile)
(30 points higher than Step 1, 15 points higher than highest practice test score)

Last edited:
Score update:

Step 2 CK: 258
UWSA 1: 256
UWSA 2: 256
NBME 8: 267
Free 120: 90%
UWorld % 2nd pass (only got about 2/3rds): ~ 79%
About 200 questions in Amboss: % in the low 60's

I'm absolutely thrilled with this result. I knew NBME 8 was an outlier and my score is very representative of how I did on the UWSAs. Like most people, I walked out completely convinced I failed and felt defeated. At least in my case, the UWSAs proved to be very predictive. Now that the wait for CK is over, I can start freaking out about whether or not I passed CS for the next 2 months.:eek: Also, those of you who cannot complete UWorld during dedicated? Don't let that freak you out, just get through as much as you can!

Score update:

Step 2 CK: 258
UWSA 1: 256
UWSA 2: 256
NBME 8: 267
Free 120: 90%
UWorld % 2nd pass (only got about 2/3rds): ~ 79%
About 200 questions in Amboss: % in the low 60's

I'm absolutely thrilled with this result. I knew NBME 8 was an outlier and my score is very representative of how I did on the UWSAs. Like most people, I walked out completely convinced I failed and felt defeated. At least in my case, the UWSAs proved to be very predictive. Now that the wait for CK is over, I can start freaking out about whether or not I passed CS for the next 2 months.:eek: Also, those of you who cannot complete UWorld during dedicated? Don't let that freak you out, just get through as much as you can!
Lol I’m also obsessively anxiously awaiting to hear about CS. Can’t relax until then.

I just took my exam and I feel terrible.
Step 1: 224
UWSA1: 230 (2weeks prior)
NBME 17: 209 (5 week prior) :sick:
UWSA2: 234 (3 days prior)

I dont know what to think. At this point I would be happy to just pass. Few of the sections felt harder than UWSA exams.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I am freaking out.

Step 1: 217
NBME 6 (baseline, 6 wks out): 187 [yikes]
NBME 7 (4 weeks out): 220
NBME 8 (3 weeks out): 224
UWSA1 (2 weeks out): 240 [I was excited!]
UWSA 2 (1 week out): 222 [I thought for sure this was a fluke, I stayed up late the night before and had many distractions during]
Free 120 (4 days out): 77%
UWorld 1st pass 100% complete: 66%
Step 2 CK: 223

Obviously, I was bummed to get that score. I felt perfectly middle of the road leaving the exam. Didn't feel like it wrecked me, didn't feel like I wrecked it. I realize going up from Step 1 by 6 pts is fine. But my goal was at least 227, but ideally 230+, which would have been a more comfortable score for Peds. Most of my list consists of mid-tier university programs anyway and my ERAS is as strong as can be scores aside, so I'll probably be alright. Best of luck to any upcoming testers

Nbme 7 244 others were mid to high 250s
Uwsa 1 261 on day 1 of study period uwsa 2 271 2 days before ck
Step 1 260s
Step 2 CK 272

Felt terrible walking out of the test. Over thought at least 15 questions that were easy maybe more knew I got at least 20 wrong that I remembered and many more that I was unsure of. Was pretty sure I was going to drop dramatically from step 1 but ended up in a similar percentile...moral of the story is even though you wont believe it post test the majority of people get in their practice test range!!! Now the wait for CS scores begins...

I don't have very strong stats, so in the spirit of reminding the underdogs that sdn isn't filled with abnormally high scoring humans haha:

Step 1: 222
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: Pending

Applying IM, and trying to get into cali:xf:

Yay for 235! Me too :smuggrin:

DO student.

Step 1: 235
Step 2: 241
UWSA1: 234
UWSA2:231
NBME7:224

Not really thrilled with my step 2CK score, given it is below average, but It could have gone a lot worse. I thought I had failed the exam miserably. I hope I could match into a good IM program.
But I don’t get this you got a 241 and you say you are not thrilled but why? U got better than all you assessment scores and you are apply for IM which is more than enough for IM. Plsss be very grateful because there are a lot of people who will fly over the moon for your step 2 score.

UWSA 2: 261
UWSA 1: 261
NBME 8: 260
Step 2 CK: 255

Was really hoping to break 260 but I can't complain. Step 1 was 249 FWIW.

Step 1: 227
Uworld: 2nd pass 72%
Step 2: 243

I’m a very average applicant and felt like crap after my step 2ck and cs exam (which I passed, yay!). I was so worried about my ck exam that I pushed it back which meant I took it during my ai elective, which wasn’t the brightest idea because I was extremely sleep deprived on most days. I wasn’t able to review briefly the day before because felt brain dead. I slept a lot the night before but can’t say it was quality sleep since I still needed coffee midday on the day of the exam. Overall, I’m happy with my step 2 score since it overlapped with my ICU hours, but we’ll have to wait and see if its good enough to match in March (applying to DR).

Either way, I just want to encourage people that are studying for step 2ck or worrying about the results, that I feel you. You can do it! If me, an average Sue, could have my step 2 score jump up around 15pt from my step 1 score, you can do so too! :)

Step 1: 218
Step 2: 237

Soooo yay? Was hoping 240s but can’t complain right? Hopefully the nearly 20 point improvement is adequate for IM!

Good luck to everyone!

Is it mostly true that Step2 CK scores tend to be the average of two UWSAs?

Honestly the practice scores have never been helpful or accurate for me. They’re a ballpark at best. I overshot mine by 12 points, a friend scored below by almost 15.

Maybe I’m some weird outlier, but I don’t think these things are worth much more than a range. Those are almost 1 SD off.

Has anyone’s permit disappeared this weekend?

Mine has not, which is really disappointing as I was really hoping to get my score this Wednesday(took it the 17th, which according to most posts I have seen online would line up with a release this Wednesday under normal release schedules). I just want to know that I passed!

How does the score release work? Is it 3-4 Wednesdays after the exam? I took mine the 20th and I think this upcoming Wednesday would be the 3rd Wed but wasn’t sure

Also is there some trick floating around for figuring out whether you passed or not? Or is that only for CS?

How does the score release work? Is it 3-4 Wednesdays after the exam? I took mine the 20th and I think this upcoming Wednesday would be the 3rd Wed but wasn’t sure

Usually its the third Wednesday if you take it at the end of the week(thursday, friday, Saturday) and fourth Wednesday if you take it at the beginning(Sun, Monday, Tuesday). But I think it might be the fourth Wednesday for those of us that took it the 17th, 16th, 15th as it doesnt seem like anyone's permit has disappeared.

Usually its the third Wednesday if you take it at the end of the week(thursday, friday, Saturday) and fourth Wednesday if you take it at the beginning(Sun, Monday, Tuesday). But I think it might be the fourth Wednesday for those of us that took it the 17th, 16th, 15th as it doesnt seem like anyone's permit has disappeared.

Sounds good, thanks!

Also is there some trick floating around for figuring out whether you passed or not? Or is that only for CS?

There is, a page or two back. Basically go to the FSMB website and try to register for step 3. If it lets you, you passed. This only works like the Monday of the score release week though. Also it must be your last exam of the steps (you have to have done CS already and passed).

There is, a page or two back. Basically go to the FSMB website and try to register for step 3. If it lets you, you passed. This only works like the Monday of the score release week though. Also it must be your last exam of the steps (you have to have done CS already and passed).

Ok thanks. I'm taking CS this week so I guess I'll have to wait to use it for CS then.

Ok thanks. I'm taking CS this week so I guess I'll have to wait to use it for CS then.
Another quality strategy ( even if you are still waiting on CS) is to go to the FSMB website then scroll down to FCVS and start an application. You should find a section titled education & certification with a subsection of exam history. You should find it there if it's available.