Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd cycle and I matched at my #13 out of 13. But I am going to be a GI doctor and I am so glad to be done with match.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
2nd cycle and no luck. Congrats to everyone who matched

Reactions: 1 users
Matched to my top choice.

Unbelievable to go from not matching 2 years ago to my top choice.

Find a big name who will strongly advocate for you. Literally changed my life. 10 years from now I hope to pay it forward.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am SO EXCITED! MATCHED!!!
I want to give hope to people with CS attempt. It did definitely affected my interview #s but it is possible. I agree with the need to find great people who strongly advocate for you. This is a terrible process and that def helps big time. I hope I can also pay it forward in the near future.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at #10 out of 10, first time applicant. Surprised to fall all the way down (including home program), but what a blessing nonetheless and a pleasure to go have experienced the process together

Matched!

Planning for a career in GI is a massive undertaking, but well worth it. Thank you @ShiShiMD and all the countless other contributors to the forum.

Any recommendations for those who did not match this year? I am currently a PGY3 and cannot do a chief year in my program. I have heard people doing other fellowships such as hepatology/motility/nutrition fellowship or doing a hospitalist, but am not sure if one is better than the others.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations for those who did not match this year? I am currently a PGY3 and cannot do a chief year in my program. I have heard people doing other fellowships such as hepatology/motility/nutrition fellowship or doing a hospitalist, but am not sure if one is better than the others.
Definitely try for an advanced fellowship if you're convinced this is your path.

If you're from a us residency and an AMG most of these fellowships would love to have you, but then do fill up fast.

The route I did was I found a very good academic hospitalist job at a top med school, but even being teaching faculty at a big name definitely had stigma, especially for the less prestigious programs in interviewed at.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely try for an advanced fellowship if you're convinced this is your path.

If you're from a us residency and an AMG most of these fellowships would love to have you, but then do fill up fast.

The route I did was I found a very good academic hospitalist job at a top med school, but even being teaching faculty at a big name definitely had stigma, especially for the less prestigious programs in interviewed at.
Hey there, could you please elaborate a little bit on why being faculty/hospitalist for a year or more came with stigma later?

Thank you in advance! My final goal is GI fellowship, but given I am under J1 status, hospitalist x few years and applying with gc is a very real scenario. So trying to balance positives VS negatives.

Hey there, could you please elaborate a little bit on why being faculty/hospitalist for a year or more came with stigma later?

Thank you in advance! My final goal is GI fellowship, but given I am under J1 status, hospitalist x few years and applying with gc is a very real scenario. So trying to balance positives VS negatives.
I think people who are more knowledgeable about the program side of decisions can elaborate, but it's well known that the further you are out the more stigma associated with you applying. Something about 'getting out of the learner attitude', which sounds silly as you're always learning as an attending and can't rely on superiors to decide things for you.

Several places I interviewed at actually favored attendings as applicants as we have more experience, more independent skills, and I would argue know better when to ask for help and how best to help the primary teams.

However, these were rare, and they tended to be middle to upper tier places in my interview experiences. The top places want residents/Chiefs from top residencies, the others seemed to not value the experience hospitalist time may bring. Many spots were actively confused what I did ("so you're the ATTENDING??" "yup" "So you actually evaluate and oversee residents and med students there despite it being your first year??" "yup"), and seemed to question whether it's beneficial.

Now that I've gone through it, I don't know if I would have traded my 2 years for an earlier fellowship spot. It is/was such a valuable experience, especially as I am interested in MedEd.

Please understand this is just my reflections, and who knows how accurate they are.

Matched!

Planning for a career in GI is a massive undertaking, but well worth it. Thank you @ShiShiMD and all the countless other contributors to the forum.
There was no doubt you will match. You are welcome.

WELCOME to GI everyone

Hey everyone, I could use some advice. I'm a first time applicant who didn't match and wondering how best to improve my application for next time

242/261/first time pass
AMG, Mid tier medical school, mid-highish tier residency
Current PGY4 chief resident
Research (I realize this is one of my weaknesses): 2 national GI posters, 1 national non GI poster, 1 local GI poster
Other: Andrew Weill Integrative medicine program completed during residency, finishing a graduate certificate in clinical nutrition and culinary medicine (interested in nutrition/obesity and eventually would like to do endobari)
This time around, I got 11 interviews including my home program. Several interviewers mentioned my letters were great, and I don't have any other red flags that I know of, no gap years or other legal stuff.

I am currently applying to nutrition/motility/hep fellowships, but wanted to know if there was anything else I should be doing instead/as well?

Hey everyone, I could use some advice. I'm a first time applicant who didn't match and wondering how best to improve my application for next time

242/261/first time pass
Research (I realize this is one of my weaknesses): 2 national GI posters, 1 national non GI poster, 1 local GI poster
Other: Andrew Weill Integrative medicine program completed during residency, finishing a graduate certificate in clinical nutrition and culinary medicine (interested in nutrition/obesity and eventually would like to do endobari)
This time around, I got 11 interviews including my home program. Several interviewers mentioned my letters were great, and I don't have any other red flags that I know of, no gap years or other legal stuff.

I am currently applying to nutrition/motility/hep fellowships, but wanted to know if there was anything else I should be doing instead/as well?
Research is def big thing but I have a feeling your letters were not very strong. Too late for DDW but plan for aggressive abstract campaign for ACG which has june deadline. Talk to GI fellows and get every possible interesting case you can line up. Develop rapport within your program(provided there are no politics) as it is usually very rare to not take the chief fellow of the IM program for internal spot.

Hepatology is a good fit for bridging but understand you will be 15 days into the fellowship before applying next match, so dont expect new letters to be strong from there.

Academic hospitalist in mid tier GI fellowships is an option but you are looking at committing to two years of hospitalist, work with GI faculty to build rapport and apply in 2023.

Members don't see this ad :)

242/261/first time pass

Hey! In a similar situation here. Do you have a list of programs or something? Most of them only accept GI fellows.

Hey! In a similar situation here. Do you have a list of programs or something? Most of them only accept GI fellows.
I haven't found an actual list - most of them list the actual ACGME transplant hep fellowships. If you search for non-ACGME hepatology fellowship, they will come up, but I've just been going program by program.

This is a list of programs offering non acgme Hepatology and motility

UNMC- Omaha

Baylor

Swedish hospital

Stanford- Hepatology and motility

University Missouri

Temple - Hepatology and motility

University Kentucky

Thomas Jefferson - Philly

Beth Israel Boston

NIH

Mercy Baltimore

Rutgers

Montefiore Bronx

Columbia New York - every alternate year

Hopkins - motility

Cleveland clinic

Loyola Chicago

Tampa General- used to take in past . Not sure if they do anymore

NYU - have taken IM residents in the past

Reactions: 4 users
I matched! :) Dropped to my 8th rank but still happy. It has been a crazy and brutal cycle. Good luck to all future applicants!

Matched at my #1!
I applied to 120+ programs last year but didn't match (had 7 interviews). This year, despite doing a year in hepatology, and obtaining my ABIM board certification, I only received 5 interviews (I think I was heavily filtered again due to my board scores, as most programs will continue to have record high applicants due to Zoom).

My stats:
AMG (community program, university affiliated)
200s Step 1, 210s Step 2 CK, 210s Step 3
I had 2 first author publications in GI and heme/onc, with several posters annually at ACG/ACP for the last 3 years (15 total posters in residency), 1 oral presentation
My letter writers: GI PD and APD from home program, PD, and Medicine chairman (all very strong letters)

Don't lose hope! Anything is possible!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched at my #1!
I applied to 120+ programs last year but didn't match (had 7 interviews). This year, despite doing a year in hepatology, and obtaining my ABIM board certification, I only received 5 interviews (I think I was heavily filtered again due to my board scores, as most programs will continue to have record high applicants due to Zoom).

My stats:
AMG (community program, university affiliated)
200s Step 1, 210s Step 2 CK, 210s Step 3
I had 2 first author publications in GI and heme/onc, with several posters annually at ACG/ACP for the last 3 years (15 total posters in residency), 1 oral presentation
My letter writers: GI PD and APD from home program, PD, and Medicine chairman (all very strong letters)

Don't lose hope! Anything is possible!

Congrats! This is amazing.

I know that most programs have Step 1 and Step 2 score cutoffs, but do they have Step 3 cutoffs as well? I've heard that most only care that you pass Step 3 but do any have filters based on Step 3 scores? Sorry if this has already been discussed earlier.

Does it say anything if the PD has still not reached out to me after matching at that program

Does it say anything if the PD has still not reached out to me after matching at that program

I sure hope not because I am in the same boat! I am sure it is fine.

Did anyone other than the PD reach out? Chiefs? Maybe they are just busy. Passionate PDs usually reach out to at least congratulate the new class.

Regardless, it’s just 3 years. You’ll get good training regardless.

I sure hope not because I am in the same boat! I am sure it is fine.
Same here! I do think it is odd and perhaps somewhat telling but I'm glad to hear that others have also had this experience. Maybe not so odd at all

Didn’t match. Currently looking for options to strengthen my application for next time. Does anybody know if there are perhaps programs that offer endoscopy training certificate without a fellowship? Thank you!

Didn’t match. Currently looking for options to strengthen my application for next time. Does anybody know if there are perhaps programs that offer endoscopy training certificate without a fellowship? Thank you!
Never heard of endoscopy training certificates but have heard of NPs scoping at some VA’s in some parts of the country. Crazy to think some of us sacrifice so much to do scoping and an NP can sign up just a mere 3 years from college.

Hi all, I have currently matched at GI at the University of Kentucky. However, because of unforeseen family complications, I would like to move to East Coast if possible. I am ok with any fellowship positions in Maryland, DC, or Virginia. Please message me if you need more information. I appreciate all the help.

I reached out to the PD to thank them.
Thanks PD for accepting me, I’m really happy for you and imma let you finish, but maryland, DC, and Virginia had some of the best GI fellowships of all time.

I've often wondered what's more important to a GI PD: prolific research vs Chief year?

I've often wondered what's more important to a GI PD: prolific research vs Chief year?

Unfortunately, there is no unifying answer for this. Each PD is different with what they would prefer and what they would expect from their applicants in the way. If you look at previous NRMP data for matched applicants to GI you will see the majority had five or more abstracts and presentations. So you can pull from this data how you want but the preference is applicants with high scores and high research output.

is anyone familiar with advanced endoscopy and how competitive it is? Do you know what all they look for in applicants? What makes for a strong application?

is anyone familiar with advanced endoscopy and how competitive it is? Do you know what all they look for in applicants? What makes for a strong application?

if you got into GI you ll get x any advance fellowship (endoscopy , hepatology , IBD ,motility etc)... advance endo is the most competitive 4th year spot...but compared to getting x GI it is much much easier to get x 4th year...most people match... don't worry about that... make sure that is what you really want to do because it can mean worse lifestyle without more money... or even less money in some cases...

Unfortunately, there is no unifying answer for this. Each PD is different with what they would prefer and what they would expect from their applicants in the way. If you look at previous NRMP data for matched applicants to GI you will see the majority had five or more abstracts and presentations. So you can pull from this data how you want but the preference is applicants with high scores and high research output.
Thank you very much for your response. I wanted to pm you a more specific question but was unable

Try and add me as a friend.
Hi I tried but it wouldn't let me. I really just wanted to ask whether my mix of research and scores are strong enough to attempt applying as a US citizen/Grad without a chief year. I attend a large university program. So far, I have 10 published manuscripts, 7 first author, 2 in GI, [another 3 under review], 22 posters/abstracts [8 in GI], 10 oral presentations. However, step scores are 220/229/CS Pass [one attempt]. I have a good chance at home GI program, but there are several other candidates vying for 2 - 3 spots. I see you've had pretty good research record based on your prior posts, so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Although I do recognize that the decision is ultimately mine and nothing is guaranteed in the application process. I really apologize for the lengthy post.

Hi I tried but it wouldn't let me. I really just wanted to ask whether my mix of research and scores are strong enough to attempt applying as a US citizen/Grad without a chief year. I attend a large university program. So far, I have 10 published manuscripts, 7 first author, 2 in GI, [another 3 under review], 22 posters/abstracts [8 in GI], 10 oral presentations. However, step scores are 220/229/CS Pass [one attempt]. I have a good chance at home GI program, but there are several other candidates vying for 2 - 3 spots. I see you've had pretty good research record based on your prior posts, so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Although I do recognize that the decision is ultimately mine and nothing is guaranteed in the application process. I really apologize for the lengthy post.

I don't think there is really much you can do. You've done a really good job from the research side. Do you have strong letters? Are there any issues with your visa in terms of timing?

I don't think there is really much you can do. You've done a really good job from the research side. Do you have strong letters? Are there any issues with your visa in terms of timing?
I'm anticipating strong letters from mentors and PI. And I'm a US citizen so I won't need visa

I'm anticipating strong letters from mentors and PI. And I'm a US citizen so I won't need visa
Sorry I misread your first post. Your research is pretty strong and I don't think there's anything else you can do. Are your letters from GI faculty/APD?

Did you do a rotation with the GI program at your institution?

Sorry I misread your first post. Your research is pretty strong and I don't think there's anything else you can do. Are your letters from GI faculty/APD?

Did you do a rotation with the GI program at your institution?
Yes. Letters will come from
GI (2 research mentors [1 is APD], 1 clinical from in/outpatient rotations). I've rotated with them every couple months on core and electives (inpatient liver, GI consults).

Yes. Letters will come from
GI (2 research mentors [1 is APD], 1 clinical from in/outpatient rotations). I've rotated with them every couple months on core and electives (inpatient liver, GI consults).
Well there's not much else you can do at this point. You have the letters. Hope for the best (match in house) but plan accordingly if unmatched. There's a lot of near opportunities to continue your exposure to the GI field including hepatology, pancreatology, nutrition, and some IBD fellowships (I think Northwestern will allow you to match into their program prior to GI training)

Anything to do to prepare for next year if you matched?

if you got into GI you ll get x any advance fellowship (endoscopy , hepatology , IBD ,motility etc)... advance endo is the most competitive 4th year spot...but compared to getting x GI it is much much easier to get x 4th year...most people match... don't worry about that... make sure that is what you really want to do because it can mean worse lifestyle without more money... or even less money in some cases...
Can you expound on the lifestyle/money? How much more valuable do those skills make you when trying to get private practice jobs?

Can you expound on the lifestyle/money? How much more valuable do those skills make you when trying to get private practice jobs?

It's complicated. Are those skills necessary and in demand for the population? very much so.. GI cancers will only go up... stone disease is going nowhere.. so EUS and ERCP volumes are only going up...especially with expanding indications... However these procedures are not financially rewarding for multiple reasons...they are poorly reimbursed for time commitment . Most of the times these will be done in hospital and not in ambulatory center...so you are not making money from "ambulatory center ownership shares" there...you can do 10 general procedures in time for doing a hilar cholangiocarcinoma ERCP and placing 2-3 stents... Also these procedures will have complications that ll increase the odds of you coming back at midnight... put a FC-SEMS in a guy with cholangio who still has gall bladder..does well for weeks and shows up with acute cholecystitis , stents migrate , sphinctertomy bleeds , **** happens... basically you make marginally more money than some general gi ..if even that ...and endure the lifestyle of a surgeon..and face complications that ll keep you awake...

it's a calling...lifestype of a general gastro can be quite cushy... if you have practice /apc ownership with infusion center and ancillary revenue streams you have it made...you make a lot of money , very rarely come in at night , and for most part it's not a very risky business...rates of perforations when removing standard polyps is very low..general endoscopy as a whole is very safe...if you can't stop a bleeder , you get IR or surgeons or whoever...if you can't fix him send the patient elsewhere.... all these are very important factor why matching x general GI is so competitive...doing an advance year entails potential sacrifice of all that...

Last edited:
Thank you SDN community for your support during the entire match season!! Saying that it was stressful is probably an understatement. I matched at my 1st choice and couldn’t be any more thrilled (and beyond relieved that I never have to do this again in my life..goodbye NRMP lol).

Anyway, I am here to check in and see if anyone has any info about pre-GI pancreatology or IBD fellowships? There are obviously several hepatology fellowships that are helpful for people looking to match into GI. However, my friend who is currently a PGY-3 resident only decided now that they want to do GI. Most hepatology fellowships have already chosen their fellows by now. And so I was hoping to get some info on non-hepatology fellowships that would potentially be helpful.

Any help/input/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you SDN community for your support during the entire match season!! Saying that it was stressful is probably an understatement. I matched at my 1st choice and couldn’t be any more thrilled (and beyond relieved that I never have to do this again in my life..goodbye NRMP lol).

Anyway, I am here to check in and see if anyone has any info about pre-GI pancreatology or IBD fellowships? There are obviously several hepatology fellowships that are helpful for people looking to match into GI. However, my friend who is currently a PGY-3 resident only decided now that they want to do GI. Most hepatology fellowships have already chosen their fellows by now. And so I was hoping to get some info on non-hepatology fellowships that would potentially be helpful.

Any help/input/comments would be greatly appreciated.
ibd fellowships ll try to hire fellows but many a times cant fill, so those spots may be available

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere. I couldn't find it.

For those applying in July 2022 with ongoing projects, is there a ERAS category for abstracts submitted but pending acceptance (ie. ACG announces a couple weeks after apps open)?

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere. I couldn't find it.

For those applying in July 2022 with ongoing projects, is there a ERAS category for abstracts submitted but pending acceptance (ie. ACG announces a couple weeks after apps open)?

Yes, there is a submitted section.

ibd fellowships ll try to hire fellows but many a times cant fill, so those spots may be available
you will not be able to do an IBD fellowship without completing a general GI fellowship

How long has it taken everyone to publish after submitting their manuscript, and which journal? I know it can be hugely varied, but just curious about everyone's experiences