Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you are talking one of the most competitive geographic area in one of the most competitive fields of medicine. your application in itself is solid and you would get x GI if you apply broadly. But if you are geographically restricted to any place , particularly if the place happens to be Boston,philly,nyc and bay area , your chances diminish..there ll be 30 people from harvard + brown/dartmouth/BU folks in the running. consequently even the community GI fellowships like Lahey have harvard residents in them... very similar in nyc where you ll find NYU folks end up in places like coney island or brooklyn methodist...my suggestion is to apply broadly and come back to new england as GI attending... within the area your best bets are u.mass/lahey/UMMS baystate /tufts ...
Thanks a lot for a useful advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys , I'm in a Midwest lower tier hospital with inhouse GI fellowship and while interviewing with the PD , he was wondering how many interviews i had and then asked me if I'm interested in him making calls for me to other programs to support my application. What does that mean ? Does it mean that i won't be ranked high on his list. I'm confused

Hi guys, if an interviewer replied with a positive comments to you thank you letter, would you reply back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, if an interviewer replied with a positive comments to you thank you letter, would you reply back?
I don't think it really matters, up to you. Most of the times I didn't reply back, only once I did I believe.

Hey guys , I'm in a Midwest lower tier hospital with inhouse GI fellowship and while interviewing with the PD , he was wondering how many interviews i had and then asked me if I'm interested in him making calls for me to other programs to support my application. What does that mean ? Does it mean that i won't be ranked high on his list. I'm confused
Hard to tell, it could mean that but maybe he really asked out of interest and because he wants to help....Unfortunately, many things are confusing to all of us in this game and none of us can easily interpret what every PD/program is telling us.

I have a similar question, especially if it is a program that you are now planning to rank #1. If you get responses like “excellent fit” or “hope you come here,” is it worth responding back weeks later to let them know your rank plans? Programs are starting to finish up interviews so meetings may happen soon …

Aren't they not allowed to ask how many other interviews/what other places we are interviewing at?

Aren't they not allowed to ask how many other interviews/what other places we are interviewing at?

Technically not allowed but in reality what’s the penalty? One should prepare to redirect these questions with certain answers.

I probably got asked my interview number at 10-12 places...atleast 3-4 places asked me where else i am interested in...,and guy at one place tried really hard and spent 2-3 mins on this...basically they can do anything they want to with impunity. that was back then... and i don't hear anything ever changed..

I probably got asked my interview number at 10-12 places...atleast 3-4 places asked me where else i am interested in...,and guy at one place tried really hard and spent 2-3 mins on this...basically they can do anything they want to with impunity. that was back then... and i don't hear anything ever changed..
Hopefully well intentioned (albeit misguided) for the most part but not that last experience of yours. Regardless, those questions should be politely rebuffed and can be reported.

To all the GI Fellows and Graduates out there-
Could you weigh in on the Pros vs Cons of a couple of things:
1. Call structure: Whole week+weekend vs qX weekday+qX weekend?
2. Inpatient scoping: Alternate-day scoping split between two fellows while on inpatient GI consults vs Only dedicated scoping 1-2 months/first year

Thanks

2. Inpatient scoping: Alternate-day scoping split between two fellows while on inpatient GI consults vs Only dedicated scoping 1-2 months/first year

Thanks
1) this highly depends on how busy a hospital is. If it’s not that busy then the whole week+weekend is fine. Pros are you likely don’t have to be on call the other weeks of that block. Cons are that if you’re called in for multiple nights in a row then you’re going 2-3 nights in a row without any sleep at all.

2) also depends on how busy the place is. If you’re responsible for consults and scoping inpatient then you get consistent scoping daily instead of blouses of scopes intermixed with days without scoping for when you’re doing consults only. If a hospital is busy, you don’t want to be doing a colonoscopy while being constantly hammer paged about a bleeder in the ER. So at busy places it’s usually less stressful to be on dedicated endoscopy or dedicated consults.

Thanks

I am always skeptical for programs in which you scope for 2-3 months a year...there is a very famous BRAND NAME program that advertises that as a virtue . "our scope numbers are lower than what you ll see at other places , but we teach you so well that doing 1 scope here is like doing 10 elsewhere." . Don't fall for such nonsense. I would avoid places in which you don't scope for months at a stretch.

cognitive aspects of GI are not that hard to learn... when you graduate you need to be able to do 15-20 procedures a day with good results... i'd say any program with colon numbers <400 and egd numbers < 750 should be ranked lower regardless of "brand" ..

call schedule etc makes less difference-

real questions to think about

1) ERCP/ EUS number ,
2) comfort in doing colonoscopies at end of 2nd and third year .... how many inject/lift / piecemeal polypectomiesdo they do... or do they just sent them to advance.... did they do 50-100 colons without attendings touching a scope...
3) how good are the third years with difficult bleeder... like bleeding dieulafoy or ulcer in fundus... are they able to apply clips in fundus retroflexed postion... are they able to put a bearclaw if they see a pumping vessel in d2...or they freakout and send the patient to IR...
4) time spend doing prior auths for ibd patients
5) comfort with surveillance colons for ibd and ability to suspected dysplasia by third years..
6) terminal ileum intubation rate mid-third year...
7) comfort will variceal banding : believe it or not there are programs including big brands where they do few of those because they are done by hepatology service..
8) ability to treat hepc and read fibroscans (piece of cake but you need exposure , will generate extra revenue for practice , plus if you send those patients else-where they may not come back).

u are going to read and go to conferences and learn cognitive aspects from lectures... and cognitive aspects are not as hard as constructing an euler-lagrange equation for an nth dimensional space or differential geometry needed to understand general relativity... anyone can understand them... what you need to learn in fellowship is scoping...and you need to be darn good at it...everything else is bull****...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am always skeptical for programs in which you scope for 2-3 months a year...there is a very famous BRAND NAME program that advertises that as a virtue . "our scope numbers are lower than what you ll see at other places , but we teach you so well that doing 1 scope here is like doing 10 elsewhere." . Don't fall for such nonsense. I would avoid places in which you don't scope for months at a stretch.

cognitive aspects of GI are not that hard to learn... when you graduate you need to be able to do 15-20 procedures a day with good results... i'd say any program with colon numbers <400 and egd numbers < 750 should be ranked lower regardless of "brand" ..

1) ERCP/ EUS number ,
2) comfort in doing colonoscopies at end of 2nd and third year .... how many inject/lift / piecemeal polypectomiesdo they do... or do they just sent them to advance.... did they do 50-100 colons without attendings touching a scope...
3) how good are the third years with difficult bleeder... like bleeding dieulafoy or ulcer in fundus... are they able to apply clips in fundus retroflexed postion... are they able to put a bearclaw if they see a pumping vessel in d2...or they freakout and send the patient to IR...
5) comfort with surveillance colons for ibd and ability to suspected dysplasia by third years..
7) comfort will variceal banding : believe it or not there are programs including big brands where they do few of those because they are done by hepatology service..
8) ability to treat hepc and read fibroscans (piece of cake but you need exposure , will generate extra revenue for practice , plus if you send those patients else-where they may not come back).

u are going to read and go to conferences and learn cognitive aspects from lectures... and cognitive aspects are not as hard as constructing an euler-lagrange equation for an nth dimensional space or differential geometry needed to understand general relativity... anyone can understand them... what you need to learn in fellowship is scoping...and you need to be darn good at it...everything else is bull****...
Agree with most of this except a few caveats.

ERCP. I only recall now a handful of places (hint: they aren’t name brand places) who will certify you in ERCP without the advance year now. Are you referring to just general exposure or actually getting to do a few ERCPs in your 3 years?

Also the places that get large numbers of scopes in the outpatient setting usually don’t do the maneuvers (even piecemeal resection). Some of those take too long if they have 10-15 colons to do on the schedule and they will just send them somewhere else to deal with it. There’s probably a happy medium applicants should be looking at. Yes, the whole “1 colon here is worth 10 elsewhere” saying is BS, but 10 screening colonoscopies without doing any lift/inject, piecemeal, etc will also be worthless. It doesn’t honestly take long to learn to maneuver difficult sigmoids or reach the cecum/TI. So doing 500 more healthy outpatient colons on upper class people in fellowship training will be a wash. Most will be doing that anyway in attending-hood.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) ERCP/ EUS number ,

Real talk, I disagree with some of this but love it, not enough of it around here, and interesting to hear an alternate perspective, appreciate this.

EUS/ ERCP: I'd disagree, like Nespresso. Only matters if you are looking at potentially doing advanced. For all the great points about rigor you make for colonoscopy, no way to achieve the same for EUS/ ERCP without a dedicated 4th year. Pass your duodenoscopes if you want/ need that skill, learn your cholangiograms, the rest you will always refer to the Panc-Bil/ Advanced folks as a general GI doc.

Dysplasia surveillance and endoscopy in IBD in general is underrated, not sure how much is done in the community, keeping up with IBD advancements is becoming really difficult, not sure how those not at big centers do it. Im at one and struggle, would love to hear how everyone else does it- that is to say having a decent IBD presence should count.

Does anyone know their TI rate? I don't know that any PD could tell you that. Your comfort in this will come if you have the time/ freedom/ desire to do it, which I imagine is uniform, wouldn't let this be a major determinant for fellowship.

HCV/ Fibroscan- totally agree, this is easy money you're leaving if you don't do it.

Total endoscopy numbers are helpful- agree that this 1 colon here is 10 elsewhere is a ploy, don't fall for it.

Last edited:
any program with colon numbers <400 and egd numbers < 750 should be ranked lower regardless of "brand" ..

Yes, EGD/colon numbers are important. I'd be interested to know how many programs there are that don't reach that scope number, though -- my impression is that the vast majority of programs (overtly research-focused fellowships aside) are going to give you that volume of scope training.

Call schedule is one of those things that we tell ourselves shouldn't matter....but guys its okay to care about the call schedule. I don't understand why we (as medicine trainees) still pretend that this is something that doesn't matter when burnout is such a huge issue. This doesn't mean that any one call system is better than another but you should consider whether front-loaded but intense call is for you versus spread out call over the full 3 years vs anything in between. Whether or not you're getting paged for all the silly outpatient stuff can also make a huge difference in overall call burden.

And finally, if current fellows are avoiding talking about call/call schedule this is probably a red flag 🚨

Bringing back a relatively old topic-

Got a message from a program yesterday informing me that they were certifying rank list by the end of this week. Definitely caught me off guard!

Make sure you register with the NRMP for the match!

So we have to lob calls and write expression of interest as ranking #1 now as well? based on what im seeing in some of the above posts... never ends
Still unsure how to approach this topic as when I got the aforementioned email I still had multiple interviews remaining...

How important is the geographic location vs. prestige of the fellowship program for finding jobs and your career after training? If I am not sure about PP vs. academics at this time but wish to work in a certain saturated region of the country after training, which program should I rank higher: a good academic program outside of the region where I plan to leave after training vs. a community program around where I want to settle down eventually?

How important is the geographic location vs. prestige of the fellowship program for finding jobs and your career after training? If I am not sure about PP vs. academics at this time but wish to work in a certain saturated region of the country after training, which program should I rank higher: a good academic program outside of the region where I plan to leave after training vs. a community program around where I want to settle down eventually?
for PP geography is not important..

Yes, EGD/colon numbers are important. I'd be interested to know how many programs there are that don't reach that scope number, though -- my impression is that the vast majority of programs (overtly research-focused fellowships aside) are going to give you that volume of scope training.

Call schedule is one of those things that we tell ourselves shouldn't matter....but guys its okay to care about the call schedule. I don't understand why we (as medicine trainees) still pretend that this is something that doesn't matter when burnout is such a huge issue. This doesn't mean that any one call system is better than another but you should consider whether front-loaded but intense call is for you versus spread out call over the full 3 years vs anything in between. Whether or not you're getting paged for all the silly outpatient stuff can also make a huge difference in overall call burden.

And finally, if current fellows are avoiding talking about call/call schedule this is probably a red flag 🚨

the numbers needed to certify you in egd are 135 and for colons they are around 250... those numbers you are not going to be comfortable doing the bad bleeders , removing large polyps (or even average polyps in difficult location) etc... in fact after 250 colons you ll still be struggling to get to the ti..

w.r.t ercp and eus , i strongly feel that basic ercp skills should be incorporated in general gi training... i think everyone should be able to do bread and butter distal stone ... and handle cholangitis by atleast putting in a cbd stent to temporize the patient while he can be transferred to a tertiary center.. w.r.t eus , there i times a general gi could benefit... for instance characterization of submucosal lesions... the other day i was doing an egd , found the folds of stomach were abnormally prominent with very poor compliance... barely distented with my finger on the air button... thankfully i was doing it with an advance trained attending... so we put in a linear echoendoscope and did diagnose linitis plastic... fun part here is i did take mucosal biopsies with gastroscope and those actually came back negative...i can imagine that this was a condition a cancer could be missed in the community... other scenario is a cirrhotic patient having a distal esoophageal nodule ...guy had prior h/o varices and questionable small varices as well..hepatologist doing the case was afraid of biopsying it as given his history he could not be sure if it was overlying a varix... he had an advance guy take a look with eus... in private practice basic skills with eus/ercp might help retain more patients... caveat being that you may not get a ton of patients initially to fit the niche.. and it is important to know your limitations... i would certainly not stage a cancer with eus without advance training...and level 3/level 4 ercps absolutely out of question...i would restrict myself to very basic stuff..

the numbers needed to certify you in egd are 135 and for colons they are around 250... those numbers you are not going to be comfortable doing the bad bleeders , removing large polyps (or even average polyps in difficult location) etc... in fact after 250 colons you ll still be struggling to get to the ti..

w.r.t ercp and eus , i strongly feel that basic ercp skills should be incorporated in general gi training... i think everyone should be able to do bread and butter distal stone ... and handle cholangitis by atleast putting in a cbd stent to temporize the patient while he can be transferred to a tertiary center.. w.r.t eus , there i times a general gi could benefit... for instance characterization of submucosal lesions... the other day i was doing an egd , found the folds of stomach were abnormally prominent with very poor compliance... barely distented with my finger on the air button... thankfully i was doing it with an advance trained attending... so we put in a linear echoendoscope and did diagnose linitis plastic... fun part here is i did take mucosal biopsies with gastroscope and those actually came back negative...i can imagine that this was a condition a cancer could be missed in the community... other scenario is a cirrhotic patient having a distal esoophageal nodule ...guy had prior h/o varices and questionable small varices as well..hepatologist doing the case was afraid of biopsying it as given his history he could not be sure if it was overlying a varix... he had an advance guy take a look with eus... in private practice basic skills with eus/ercp might help retain more patients... caveat being that you may not get a ton of patients initially to fit the niche.. and it is important to know your limitations... i would certainly not stage a cancer with eus without advance training...and level 3/level 4 ercps absolutely out of question...i would restrict myself to very basic stuff..

Basic skills are fine but you never know what you'll encounter, and much of this comes with practice. Tons of data about how people doing infrequent ERCP associated with worse outcomes. Even for the bread better stones with easy papillas, sure could you it, yes, but there will be variable quality. This is the whole reason the entire GI community moved away from training everyone to do ERCP/ EUS. Most big centers could get 200 ERCPs the ASGE says are needed for credentialing, but just as 275 colons (the ASGE credentialing recommendation) will get you credentialed, it is unlikely you'll be ready for independent practice. EUS would be a challenge to teach. The skill set is different and not necessarily transferrable like ERCP is.

Got an email from a program saying they are ranking me high. Can I trust this? It obviously isn’t going to change where I rank them but I am trying to see how much to read into this?

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email from a program saying they are ranking me high. Can I trust this? It obviously isn’t going to change where I rank them but I am trying to see how much to read into this?

Dont read anything into it. You could be ranked 1st or 100th, means nothing, smile and move on.

Guys can you help me rank these programs

UPMC
Baylor Houston
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
U Minnesota

I would really appreciate your input

Can anyone help me tank these:
Mayo FL
Mayo AZ
Utah
Nebraska
Maryland

Interested in academics and leaning towards hepatology. No location preference

Can anyone help me rank these:
Emory
Michigan
Univ Florida
BU
UTMB
Univ New Mexico
Univ Arizona - Phoenix
Univ Tennessee Memphis
Univ Mississippi

Heard rumors that there was some issues pending with some U Tennessee but can't really find any news other than this one.

Interested in academics and leaning towards hepatology. No location preference

Can anyone help me rank these:
Emory
Michigan
Univ Florida
BU
UTMB
Univ New Mexico
Univ Arizona - Phoenix
Univ Tennessee Memphis
Univ Mississippi

I'd consider putting U.Fl higher... it's a very strong program... granted its in a small city w/o an airport ...but it is superior program to emory...UTMB below phoenix...

Hi, can someone help me rank these programs (somewhere in middle of my list)? No geographic preferences, interested in general GI.

UConn
U Kansas
U Louisville
Tucson
UCSF Fresno

How common are phone calls from program stating you are "ranked to match?"

Worried because I haven't heard of anything yet 3 people I know have gotten such a call.

Worried because I haven't heard of anything yet 3 people I know have gotten such a call.
Are these academic programs? or Community?

Never heard of this, I imagine it is rare.

Can someone help rank? Interested in academics. Undifferentiated.

johns hopkins
Michigan
UTSW
Ohio State
UVA
Case Western
Indiana
UC irvine
U Miami
minnesota
georgetown
temple
loyola
Hopkins , UTSW, Michigan , Case western , Indiana , U Minnesota, Temple , UC irvine , Ohio state, Loyola ,Miami ,Georgetown, UVA

Hopkins , UTSW, Michigan , Case western , Indiana , U Minnesota, Temple , UC irvine , Ohio state, Loyola ,Miami ,Georgetown, UVA
Hi thanks for replying. However your order is a bit bizarre and I wanted some feedback, why rank Ohio state so low and temple so high? Why uva so low.

Guys any Input Baylor vs UPMC ? I would really appreciate your help

Hi thanks for replying. However your order is a bit bizarre and I wanted some feedback, why rank Ohio state so low and temple so high? Why uva so low.
It honestly depends if you are research oriented or not, geography and obviously your personal preference. Temple is heavy on clinical. UVA focuses and dedicates a lot of months to research. I understand why you would ask about Ohio , its similar to the 2-3 previous ones , this is going based of geographic location. I heard Loyola fellows have to stay in the hospital overnight for multiple nights and is very busy/borderline malignant.

Can someone help rank? Interested in academics. Undifferentiated.

johns hopkins
Michigan
UTSW
Ohio State
UVA
Case Western
Indiana
UC irvine
U Miami
minnesota
georgetown
temple
loyola

I ll divide this by tiers

Top tier ; Indiana , Mich , JHU , Southwesternn... Indiana is by far the best overall... reason , complete program which is strong in all areas , motility , IBD,liver and Advance . decent scoping exposure... not too bad a lifestyle... Mich is a complete program as well... disadvantage being that you actually have to see non urgent consults at night (there is a "nightfloat" system). and you spend a lot of time away from scoping.. state of michigan is very consult heavy in which minor stuff will get gi consults otherplaces won't .so lot of waste of time consults... JHU :oops:n paper a complete department... but faculty is less accessible.. there are people outright maligant.. most over-rated of the 4... UTSW: advantage : strongest endoscopic exposure... signficant ERCP/EUS esposure in 3 years...scoping numbers can potentially match some less academic settings...disadvantage , almost no motility exposure... relatively weaker ibd...

next tier : OSU : again a complete program with all branches ...UVA : strong pancreatic exposure ... between these 2 decide by location , UCI : strong advance exposure , doing interesting projects in artificial intel.

next tier : minn and loyola... minn is obviously the bigger name ... strong advance program though doubt significant exposure to general fellow...loyola poached a bunch of folks from surrounding places and have strong hepatology... good bleeders exposure..

next tier case (don't know much about the program) , georgetown (busy with lot of BS consults in wash hosp.)...

last : temple , historically well known for strong motility , the department is in shambles... infighting and bunch of other issues ,most of the well known faculty left... very much a community program functionally...

Looking for a strong training program with a preference for advanced endoscopy.
No geographic preferences.

Listing below in no particular order:

Iowa
UKMC
Emory
Rush
University of Toledo
Beaumont Royal Oak
UF - Jacksonville
Baystate - UMMS
Brooklyn Hospital Center

Looking for a strong training program with a preference for advanced endoscopy.
No geographic preferences.

Listing below in no particular order:

Iowa
UKMC
Emory
Rush
University of Toledo
Beaumont Royal Oak
UF - Jacksonville
Baystate - UMMS
Brooklyn Hospital Center

emory : best brand on the list
Beaumont : one of the few places in the country in which you get certification level advance endoscopy exposure...
Rush v/s JAX v/s iowa , jax has better motility, rush scope numbers are low but more reseatch heavy program..iowa is liver heavy.. program has a great reputation and frequently win GI jeopardy...
others I don't know much

as long as you don't need visa matching x 4th year is much easier than matching x GI... most people who want advance endo match x it... so don't worry too much...

Hi, can someone help me rank these programs (somewhere in middle of my list)? No geographic preferences, interested in general GI.

UConn
U Kansas
U Louisville
Tucson
UCSF Fresno
Help me rank? Thanks!

Help me rank? Thanks!

I know UCSF fresno : Pros : good ercp/eus exposure in general fellowship... complex patient population , spend 4 months in main UCSF , cons : living in fresno which is a crappy city though cost of living is very low ,close to the national park though.. very busy program

all I know about kansas is prateek sharma ..

all I know about louiseville is that they do have some good basic science folks and one device development guy (unless he got poached by private practicse).

don't know anything about ucon or tucson

I know UCSF fresno : Pros : good ercp/eus exposure in general fellowship... complex patient population , spend 4 months in main UCSF , cons : living in fresno which is a crappy city though cost of living is very low ,close to the national park though.. very busy program

all I know about kansas is prateek sharma ..

all I know about louiseville is that they do have some good basic science folks and one device development guy (unless he got poached by private practicse).

don't know anything about ucon or tucson
Thanks for your input! Appreciate it.

I'd consider putting U.Fl higher... it's a very strong program... granted its in a small city w/o an airport ...but it is superior program to emory...UTMB below phoenix...
Could expand a little about why UofA Phoenix >>UTMB. And any input about the other programs