OFFICIAL - 2022 Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
McDonalds in the sense that they open franchises everywhere. NYU has been expanding all over the world. Not only that, it has completely monopolized a good part of lower manhattan.

Spreading tentacles throughout the region is a normal part of modern healthcare. The regional health systems control the patient population and all the referrals. NYU needs to do that too. Cleveland clinic, Hopkins, Mayo, and MD Anderson have all done the same and spread nationally or even internationally. You can’t have a top bone marrow transplant center or a brain tumor center unless you have a wide network from which to draw patients and funnel them through you center of excellence. Over the past 20 years, patients became a commodity and hospitals fight for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Spreading tentacles throughout the region is a normal part of modern healthcare. The regional health systems control the patient population and all the referrals. NYU needs to do that. Cleveland clinic, Duke, and Mayo have all done the same. MD Anderson spread nationally.
It’s not just the medical school. It has taken over so many buildings in the villages and made the whole area its campus. Kind of ridiculous from the local point of view. The whole school is run like a land-grabbing mafia. It has a lot of wonderful programs, its art, law, and performance programs are so top notch. But sorry, its medical school has never been considered in that league. Most NYC residents would rather go to Presbyterian for anything than Bellevue.

Pitt Match list this year surprised us with more than 20 percent DOPEN matches this year.

This way above Case and some T10's this year. Every year is different as sometimes you have to like McDOnalds

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt Match list this year surprised us with more than 20 percent DOPEN matches this year.

This way above Case and some T10's this year. Every year is different as sometimes you have to like McDOnalds

Big Macs for days, McDonalds > Harvard

It’s not just the medical school. It has taken over so many buildings in the villages and made the whole area its campus. Kind of ridiculous from the local point of view. The whole school is run like a land-grabbing mafia. It has a lot of wonderful programs, its art, law, and performance programs are so top notch. But sorry, its medical school has never been considered in that league. Most NYC residents would rather go to Presbyterian for anything than Bellevue.

Funny you say that. I was very happy when Martin Scorsese was the university wide commencement speaker when I graduated from medical school. I used to tell people, “I went to med school at NYU. You might have heard of it’s film school.”…lol

To be fair, NYU never had a traditional campus with a large quad like Columbia, so it needs to grab what space it can mixed in with lower Manhattan. I don’t begrudge them that.

I’m sure things have changed since NYU became tuition free. But when I was there, nobody that I knew of chose NYU over Cornell or Columbia. Many chose NYU over Mt. Sinai, Downstate, and Einstein. I think all 6 are excellent schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Funny you say that. I was very happy when Martin Scorsese was the university wide commencement speaker when I graduated from medical school. I used to tell people, “I went to med school at NYU. You might have heard of it’s film school.”…lol

To be fair, NYU never had a traditional campus with a large quad like Columbia, so it needs to grab what space it can mixed in with lower Manhattan. I don’t begrudge them that.

I’m sure things have changed since NYU became tuition free. But when I was there, nobody that I knew of chose NYU over Cornell or Columbia. Many chose NYU over Mt. Sinai, Downstate, and Einstein. I think all 6 are excellent schools.
I would go to Tische in a heartbeat for performance.

I don’t have anything against NYU
I am a Columbian, so by nature I think NYU is just a second tier
It’s not like NYU programs are the best in the city…. I doubt overwhelming NYU grads would go to Tische in a heartbeat for
The only school that's really not a t10 or t5 or even t20 is NYU.

Other than derm, none of the NYU residency programs is highly ranked. I think you can be a top practicing doctor literally coming out of any school. But among academicians, NYU is seldom considered a top place. Most people in academic medicine will consider Weill a way higher ranked program in the city than NYU.

Furthermore, most patients in the city would opt for NYPresb over Bellevue for their care even if they live below 42nd street. NYers don't really consider NYU an elite school....

INo New Yorkers will ever think NYU is an elite school. Just look at their buildings scattered all over lower Manhattan. It’s practically a glorified community college.

Kind of why NYU doesn't even publish their list of current residents on their site. Afraid of people contacting them and being told it's toxic?!

It’s not like NYU programs are the best in the city….

I’m sensing a pattern here

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

That makes sense...wasn't NYU ranked like 30ish up until 2015? Back then, it was probably Columbia/Cornell > Mt. Sinai > NYU > Einstein > Downstate in terms of "prestige." Now it's more like NYU/Columbia > Mt. Sinai/Cornell > Einstein > Downstate. Then again, idk anything so I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

We used to call Tisch hospital “tush hospital”.
I attended NYU for medical school too. Do you remember the infamously slow elevators at Tisch? Two elevators serving entire hospital. Super slow and crowded! And when it turned Friday night to observe Sabbath, one elevator stopped on every floor automatically. I remember the trick to get to the ORs - go over to Skirball institute, take their elevators up and then take a flight of stairs down to Tisch OR.

I had a family friend who had cardiac surgery done few years ago and when I visited him at Tisch, I was impressed they added a new elevator bank with a glass facade that faces the courtyard near Farkas. And they were super speedy Otis elevators that “talk and announce the floors” (unlike the above lol). Glad things do improve over time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of NYU discussion on here. Personally think that NYU is a great school and rankings are garbage anyway. I think that NYU has done a great job in engineering its soaring ranking but I'm not sure that the reputation as a school has kept pace with its ranking. I think it's still not spoken of in the same breath as the Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Hopkins of the world.

I’m sensing a pattern here
Thanks for documenting my history of NYU bashing. It’s a good school, but just not as good as what they made out to be. Sorry if I offended you, I guess you are a proud NYU alum. But given the fact that you have been practicing medicine for over 30 years (casual perusal of your posting history), when you attended nyu ( assume you did), It was nowhere near what it is now.

However your statement NYU has the most accomplished students is really so far from the truth. It’s tuition free, yet it needed to admit 200+ students to fill a class of 100. (Most t5 schools have a yield rate of 65% without the benefit of no tuition). Off the top of my head, I know several people turning down their full COA scholarship for “other” t5 schools. Why? Because none of them thought NYU is even close to the top places they chose. So NYU probably doesnt get the most accomplished students. I don’t know about you. But when most accomplished students come to pick, NYU is not on top of their list, even when the burger is free!

Last edited:
  • Dislike
I attended NYU for medical school too. Do you remember the infamously slow elevators at Tisch? Two elevators serving entire hospital. Super slow and crowded! And when it turned Friday night to observe Sabbath, one elevator stopped on every floor automatically. I remember the trick to get to the ORs - go over to Skirball institute, take their elevators up and then take a flight of stairs down to Tisch OR.

I had a family friend who had cardiac surgery done few years ago and when I visited him at Tisch, I was impressed they added a new elevator bank with a glass facade that faces the courtyard near Farkas. And they were super speedy Otis elevators that “talk and announce the floors” (unlike the above lol). Glad things do improve over time!

I do remember using the stairs there a lot.

What I remember even more was that Bellevue had union elevator operators who would sit on a stool all day and night inside the elevators and push the elevator buttons for people. Nobody else was allowed to push the elevator buttons even though they were normal automatic elevators that we all use. Even as a naive young person, that struck me as a scam job. When I was a 2nd year they locked down all the stairs at Bellevue because a pathologist who was working one Saturday was raped and murdered in her office by a crazy homeless guy who was squatting in the stairwell. That made the elevator situation even worse.

Last edited:
California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM), Inaugural class

AnesthesiologyUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Emergency MedicineAbrazo Health Network-AZ
Emergency MedicineKaiser Permanente-Central Valley-CA
Emergency MedicineUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Emergency MedicineRiverside Community Hospital-CA
Emergency MedicineKaiser Permanente-San Diego-CA
Emergency MedicineUHS So California Med Ed Consortium
Emergency MedicineHarbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Emergency MedicineU Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
Family MedicineVentura County Med Ctr-CA
General SurgeryKirk Kerkorian SOM at UNLV-NV
General SurgeryUniversity at Buffalo SOM-NY
General SurgeryNassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Internal MedicineKaiser Permanente-Los Angeles-CA
Internal MedicineRiverside Community Hospital-CA
Internal MedicineHarbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Internal MedicineCase Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland Med Ctr-OH
Internal MedicinePrime West/West Anaheim Med Ctr-CA
Internal MedicineSan Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium
Med-Prelim/NeurologyUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Med-Prelim/OphthalmologyNassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Med-Prelim/St. BernardineUC Riverside SOM-CA
Med-Primary/UCLA-Olive ViewUCLA Med Ctr-CA
Medicine-PreliminaryCharleston Area Med Ctr-WV
Medicine-PrimaryCedars-Sinai Med Ctr-CA
Medicine-Primary/CHOICEKaiser Permanente-Santa Clara-CA
NeurologyU Washington Affil Hosps
NeurologyArrowhead Reg Med Ctr-CA
Obstetrics-GynecologyU Arizona COM-Phoenix
Orthopaedic SurgeryUPMC Medical Education-PA
Orthopaedic SurgeryBaylor Univ Med Ctr-Dallas-TX
Orthopaedic SurgeryMarshall University SOM-WV
Otolaryngology/ResearchU Southern California
Pediatrics/UCI-CHOCUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Phys Medicine & RehabLoma Linda University-CA
Phys Medicine & RehabUPMC Medical Education-PA
PsychiatryU Arizona COM-Phoenix
PsychiatryU Arizona COM-Tucson
PsychiatryKaiser Permanente-Fontana-CA
PsychiatryCharles R Drew University-CA
PsychiatryUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
PsychiatryLoma Linda University-CA
PsychiatryUC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Psychiatry/CommunityUC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
PsychiatryISMMS Mount Sinai Beth Israel-NY
PsychiatryMission Community Hospital
PsychiatryUniversity of Texas Health, San Antonio
Radiology-DiagnosticLoma Linda University-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticUCLA Med Ctr-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticHarbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticRiverside Community Hospital-CA
Surgery-PreliminaryStanford Health Care-CA
UrologyLenox Hill Hospital
Vascular SurgeryU North Carolina Hospitals

Reactions: 5 users
That makes sense...wasn't NYU ranked like 30ish up until 2015? Back then, it was probably Columbia/Cornell > Mt. Sinai > NYU > Einstein > Downstate in terms of "prestige." Now it's more like NYU/Columbia > Mt. Sinai/Cornell > Einstein > Downstate. Then again, idk anything so I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Back in the late 1980s when I applied, the Gourman report was all we had. The top 10 (harvard, hopkins, Penn, UCSF, Stanford, etc) were the usual suspects. NYU was #13 back then. It was ranked in the 30s for a while which is not substantively different from the 10s which is where I think it belongs.

Last edited:
California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM), Inaugural class

AnesthesiologyUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Emergency MedicineAbrazo Health Network-AZ
Emergency MedicineKaiser Permanente-Central Valley-CA
Emergency MedicineKaiser Permanente-San Diego-CA
Emergency MedicineUHS So California Med Ed Consortium
Emergency MedicineHarbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Emergency MedicineU Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
Family MedicineVentura County Med Ctr-CA
General SurgeryKirk Kerkorian SOM at UNLV-NV
General SurgeryUniversity at Buffalo SOM-NY
General SurgeryNassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Internal MedicineKaiser Permanente-Los Angeles-CA
Internal MedicineRiverside Community Hospital-CA
Internal MedicineCase Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland Med Ctr-OH
Internal MedicinePrime West/West Anaheim Med Ctr-CA
Internal MedicineSan Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium
Med-Prelim/NeurologyUC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Med-Prelim/OphthalmologyNassau Univ Med Ctr-NY
Med-Prelim/St. BernardineUC Riverside SOM-CA
Med-Primary/UCLA-Olive ViewUCLA Med Ctr-CA
Medicine-PreliminaryCharleston Area Med Ctr-WV
Medicine-PrimaryCedars-Sinai Med Ctr-CA
Medicine-Primary/CHOICEKaiser Permanente-Santa Clara-CA
NeurologyU Washington Affil Hosps
NeurologyArrowhead Reg Med Ctr-CA
Obstetrics-GynecologyU Arizona COM-Phoenix
Orthopaedic SurgeryUPMC Medical Education-PA
Orthopaedic SurgeryBaylor Univ Med Ctr-Dallas-TX
Orthopaedic SurgeryMarshall University SOM-WV
Otolaryngology/ResearchU Southern California
Phys Medicine & RehabLoma Linda University-CA
Phys Medicine & RehabUPMC Medical Education-PA
PsychiatryU Arizona COM-Phoenix
PsychiatryU Arizona COM-Tucson
PsychiatryKaiser Permanente-Fontana-CA
PsychiatryCharles R Drew University-CA
PsychiatryUC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Psychiatry/CommunityUC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
PsychiatryISMMS Mount Sinai Beth Israel-NY
PsychiatryMission Community Hospital
PsychiatryUniversity of Texas Health, San Antonio
Radiology-DiagnosticLoma Linda University-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticUCLA Med Ctr-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticHarbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Radiology-DiagnosticRiverside Community Hospital-CA
Surgery-PreliminaryStanford Health Care-CA
UrologyLenox Hill Hospital
Vascular SurgeryU North Carolina Hospitals

That is very good for a brand new school. Prem Reddy did something good.

case western list looks like one of best beside Hopkins Harvard and Stanford

I don’t have anything against NYU other than the fact that people think it’s absolutely better than other top schools in NYC. One of my premed mentors teaches at Cornell, Columbia and NYU. He basically told me that NYU students are mostly high stats tools, that’s both before and after they have gone tuition free. Not my words. Again before anyone lashes out by saying I have anything against high stats. I also applied with a LM of 80+
Sure the professor told you that, in his lectures with not many students attending, got it! Even if he came across a certain number of students who, as you say are "high stats tools", a general statement such as saying that NYU students are "mostly" high stat tools is just more of your made up opinions.

I dislike having to respond negatively to posts, but your posts really don't belong here. Now, if you were able to provide an opinion about a program because YOU attended and or witnessed certain things that would allow you to say so, negative or positive, then so be it. It does not appear you have any direct knowledge of the programs you speak negatively of and your example of the so-called professor, does not hold water to be honest.

Anyway, best of luck.

Last edited:
Rochester's match list:

Anesthesiology
BU
Mount Sinai
UC Davis
U Rochester (2)
Yale
Zucker SOM

Child Neurology
U Rochester

Dermatology
Dartmouth
Hopkins
U Minnesota
U Rochester

Emergency Medicine
Brooke Army Medical Center
Loma Linda
Mount Sinai
Thomas Jefferson
U Michigan
UPMC
U Rochester (3)
Yale

ENT
U Rochester

Family Medicine
Albany Med Ctr
Christ Hospital
David Grant Medical Center
U Arizona COM
Swedish Med Ctr (2)
UCSD
UCSF
U Rochester (2)

General Surgery
Baylor
Brigham & Women’s
OHSU
Stanford
U Michigan
U Rochester (2)

Internal Medicine
Baylor
Dartmouth
Hopkins
Hosp of the Univ of PA (2)
Maine Med Ctr
Mount Sinai
NYU LI SOM
Scripps Mercy Hosp
Stony Brook
U Colorado SOM
U Illinois COM
UPMC (2)
U Rochester (4)
UMass
U Washington (2)
Yale

Medicine-Pediatrics
MGH
U Southern California

Neurology
Mayo Clinic Florida
U Rochester

Neurological Surgery
U Rochester
Yale

OB/GYN
Abington Mem Hosp
Cleveland Clinic Akron General
Maine Med Ctr
Tufts
Zucker SOM

Ophtho
Wills Eye Hosp — Thomas Jefferson

Ortho
OHSU
U Rochester
Yale

Pediatrics
Boston Children’s Hospital
CHOP
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
Kaiser Permanente
OHSU
U Rochester
UT Austin Dell Children’s Hospital

PM&R
Hosp of the Univ of PA
U Colorado SOM (Combined Peds PM&R)
U Rochester

Psychiatry
OHSU
Temple
Tufts
UMass Chan

Radiology-Diagnostic
U Rochester
U Southern California

Radiology-Interventional
UTSW

Thoracic Surgery
Cleveland Clinic

Urology
UPMC

Vascular Surgery
Case
Loma Linda
UTSW

Thanks for documenting my history of NYU bashing. It’s a good school, but just not as good as what they made out to be. Sorry if I offended you, I guess you are a proud NYU alum. But given the fact that you have been practicing medicine for over 30 years (casual perusal of your posting history), when you attended nyu ( assume you did), It was nowhere near what it is now.

However your statement NYU has the most accomplished students is really so far from the truth. It’s tuition free, yet it needed to admit 200+ students to fill a class of 100. (Most t5 schools have a yield rate of 65% without the benefit of no tuition). Off the top of my head, I know several people turning down their full COA scholarship for “other” t5 schools. Why? Because none of them thought NYU is even close to the top places they chose. So NYU probably doesnt get the most accomplished students. I don’t know about you. But when most accomplished students come to pick, NYU is not on top of their list, even when the burger is free!
I am not an NYU attending, but one of my children is currently a student there, so you'll forgive me if I take offense at comments like the students there are all high stat tools. High stats, yes...around 522 and 3.96 mean I believe. By the way, your assertion is inaccurate that most t5 schools have a yield of 65%. Furthermore, MD yield at NYU is around 65%. But yield stats are meaningless and I agree that there are prestige-seekers that will pay full tuition for a diploma from the likes of Hopkins and I do not disparage them. Nevertheless, I will remain a cheerleader for NYU and any other top schools with sufficient endowments that go to the tuition-free model, because no medical student should be saddled with crippling debt. Finally, despite your protestations, NYU will continue to rise in PD rankings as the quality of students coming out make their mark, so it may be easier for you to simply accept that. Best of luck in your endeavors

Reactions: 2 users
Dell Med Match 2022
( This is probably incomplete as it's just those who wanted to announce their results at the Match Day presentation)

Anesthesia
Baylor

Dermatology
Temple
Dartmouth

Emergency Medicine
Baylor
Vanderbilt

Family Medicine
UVA
Providence Health Hood River, OR
UC Irvine
Lubbock
John Peter Smith, Ft. Worth TX

General Surgery
Einstein, Philadelphia
Baylor
U Colorado Denver
Creighton (Phoenix)
Dell
Johns Hopkins

Internal Medicine
2 - Dell
U Washington Seattle
U Alabama Birmingham
U Penn
2 - Baylor

Med/Peds
U Penn
Duke

Neurology
U Arizona Phoenix
UCLA
NYU Manhattan

Neurosurgery
Dell

OB GYN
Carolinas Medical Center

Orthopedic Surgery
Dell
Samaritan Hospital, Corvallis, OR

Pediatrics
Children’s National, Washington DC
Baylor
Emory
Cincinnati
U Washington

Plastic Surgery
Ohio State
Vanderbilt

Rochester's match list:

Anesthesiology
BU
Mount Sinai
UC Davis
U Rochester (2)
Yale
Zucker SOM

Child Neurology
U Rochester

Dermatology
Dartmouth
Hopkins
U Minnesota
U Rochester

Emergency Medicine
Brooke Army Medical Center
Loma Linda
Mount Sinai
Thomas Jefferson
U Michigan
UPMC
U Rochester (3)
Yale

ENT
U Rochester

Family Medicine
Albany Med Ctr
Christ Hospital
David Grant Medical Center
U Arizona COM
Swedish Med Ctr (2)
UCSD
UCSF
U Rochester (2)

General Surgery
Baylor
Brigham & Women’s
OHSU
Stanford
U Michigan
U Rochester (2)

Internal Medicine
Baylor
Dartmouth
Hopkins
Hosp of the Univ of PA (2)
Maine Med Ctr
Mount Sinai
NYU LI SOM
Scripps Mercy Hosp
Stony Brook
U Colorado SOM
U Illinois COM
UPMC (2)
U Rochester (4)
UMass
U Washington (2)
Yale

Medicine-Pediatrics
MGH
U Southern California

Neurology
Mayo Clinic Florida
U Rochester

Neurological Surgery
U Rochester
Yale

OB/GYN
Abington Mem Hosp
Cleveland Clinic Akron General
Maine Med Ctr
Tufts
Zucker SOM

Ophtho
Wills Eye Hosp — Thomas Jefferson

Ortho
OHSU
U Rochester
Yale

Pediatrics
Boston Children’s Hospital
CHOP
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
Kaiser Permanente
OHSU
U Rochester
UT Austin Dell Children’s Hospital

PM&R
Hosp of the Univ of PA
U Colorado SOM (Combined Peds PM&R)
U Rochester

Psychiatry
OHSU
Temple
Tufts
UMass Chan

Radiology-Diagnostic
U Rochester
U Southern California

Radiology-Interventional
UTSW

Thoracic Surgery
Cleveland Clinic

Urology
UPMC

Vascular Surgery
Case
Loma Linda
UTSW
Anybody else feel this list is a bit underwhelming for a borderline T20? Don’t get me wrong it’s good, but I feel like Miami; and some schools generally considered a step below rochester have stronger lists

As someone who doesn't think that NYU's reputation has kept up with its ranking, I don't think your statement is true. If it is, I would say that those students who would turn down free tuition at NYU for another top 15 school are not making a great decision. When you're talking about schools that are at the top of the top, you're really just splitting hairs here. NYU will set a student up for the career they want - just like any other top 15 school.

I am not an NYU attending, but one of my children is currently a student there, so you'll forgive me if I take offense at comments like the students there are all high stat tools. High stats, yes...around 522 and 3.96 mean I believe. By the way, your assertion is inaccurate that most t5 schools have a yield of 65%. Furthermore, MD yield at NYU is around 65%. But yield stats are meaningless and I agree that there are prestige-seekers that will pay full tuition for a diploma from the likes of Hopkins and I do not disparage them. Nevertheless, I will remain a cheerleader for NYU and any other top schools with sufficient endowments that go to the tuition-free model, because no medical student should be saddled with crippling debt. Finally, despite your protestations, NYU will continue to rise in PD rankings as the quality of students coming out make their mark, so it may be easier for you to simply accept that. Best of luck in your endeavors
You're really pointing out two different ideas here. The first is that NYU should be commended for its efforts for making med school free and accessible. This is definitely something that is commendable. However, I think that implementation fell short of the goal. If the goal was to make med school accessible to those from lower SES, it could have done that much more effectively by making not only tuition free but also cost of living free for those who qualify for financial aid. The rich don't need more free money to pay tuition - they are able to afford that by themselves. Access is a barrier for lower SES. That's why I primarily saw that move as a way to increase yield and attract the "top tier" students that are needed to boost their rankings.

The second idea you're pointing out is that prestige/reputation is not the same as ranking. I generally tend to agree with this. NYU's prestige/reputation has not kept pace with its ranking. That's not a good or bad thing. It just is. I think that the rankings are heavily weighted towards research funding and factors that have nothing to do with the medical student experience - these are all factors that can be engineered. Which is what NYU did to great effect. In the future, as the "top tier" students graduate and do great things with their career, NYU's reputation will rise. That's what I see the long-term strategic goal to be.

As someone who doesn't think that NYU's reputation has kept up with its ranking, I don't think your statement is true. If it is, I would say that those students who would turn down free tuition at NYU for another top 15 school are not making a great decision. When you're talking about schools that are at the top of the top, you're really just splitting hairs here. NYU will set a student up for the career they want - just like any other top 15 school.

You're really pointing out two different ideas here. The first is that NYU should be commended for its efforts for making med school free and accessible. This is definitely something that is commendable. However, I think that implementation fell short of the goal. If the goal was to make med school accessible to those from lower SES, it could have done that much more effectively by making not only tuition free but also cost of living free for those who qualify for financial aid. The rich don't need more free money to pay tuition - they are able to afford that by themselves. Access is a barrier for lower SES. That's why I primarily saw that move as a way to increase yield and attract the "top tier" students that are needed to boost their rankings.

The second idea you're pointing out is that prestige/reputation is not the same as ranking. I generally tend to agree with this. NYU's prestige/reputation has not kept pace with its ranking. That's not a good or bad thing. It just is. I think that the rankings are heavily weighted towards research funding and factors that have nothing to do with the medical student experience - these are all factors that can be engineered. Which is what NYU did to great effect. In the future, as the "top tier" students graduate and do great things with their career, NYU's reputation will rise. That's what I see the long-term strategic goal to be.
Kinda hard to do when it’s mostly Ken Langone’s money and idea. I don’t think any of it comes from NYU so they probably don’t have much say

No school, so far, has given free tuition for the sake of breaking down entrance barriers for SES students, period.

No school, so far, has given free tuition for the sake of breaking down entrance barriers for SES students, period.
Ken langones goal was getting more people into primary care which hasn’t come to fruition but I doubt he did it for some nefarious purpose of increasing NYU’s ranking

Reactions: 5 users
Ken langones goal was getting more people into primary care which hasn’t come to fruition but I doubt he did it for some nefarious purpose of increasing NYU’s ranking
Throwing money at a problem almost never solves the problem. Who knew??

I don’t have anything against NYU other than the fact that people think it’s absolutely better than other top schools in NYC. One of my premed mentors teaches at Cornell, Columbia and NYU. He basically told me that NYU students are mostly high stats tools, that’s both before and after they have gone tuition free. Not my words. Again before anyone lashes out by saying I have anything against high stats. I also applied with a LM of 80+
I mean as an NYU student, that's a rather offensive and preposterous thing to say.

If the goal was to make med school accessible to those from lower SES, it could have done that much more effectively by making not only tuition free but also cost of living free for those who qualify for financial aid. Access is a barrier for lower SES.

"All of our MD students receive Full-Tuition Scholarship, and no Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for those scholarships. Beginning with the 2021–22 academic year, our students now have the opportunity to apply for additional need-based scholarships that cover the remaining cost of attendance expenses such as housing, food, books, and other miscellaneous costs. For those who qualify, these scholarships will allow us to meet 100 percent of our MD students' demonstrated financial need with scholarships instead of loans."

That approach makes more sense but has little impact on Cornell’s ranking unfortunately.

Cornell's reputation is quite good. Just take a look at their match list. Reputation matters a hell of a lot more than ranking.

Anybody else feel this list is a bit underwhelming for a borderline T20? Don’t get me wrong it’s good, but I feel like Miami; and some schools generally considered a step below rochester have stronger lists
I think Miami is comparable. It looks like Miami has more students so it seems like they match significantly better, but both schools have matched many students in the T20

Cornell's reputation is quite good. Just take a look at their match list. Reputation matters a hell of a lot more than ranking.
would you say Cornell's reputation is comparable to NYU though? Or more so the lower end of the T20s (Sinai, UChicago, etc.)

Look north about 3 miles.
Aldo, why even respond, srirachamayonnaise is so misinformed, uninformed and whatever else.

Here is a prior post from him... "Kind of why NYU doesn't even publish their list of current residents on their site. Afraid of people contacting them and being told it's toxic?"

I had to school the young know-it-all and provide him/her all the links to various departments at NYU that post their current residents. If this poster can't find that on their own, how can anybody here listen to anything he/she says ,and it is also scary to think hat they are in med school and cannot simply Google for that information, yikes!

I’m glad this thread has turned into a massive NYC circlejerk over T20 schools that are unattainable for 90% of students anyways. They’re all strong schools that’ll set you up for whatever you want to do in the NE census region, okay?

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Moderator's word to the immoderate among you:

Everyone, let's please get back to the topic of the thread, which is Match Lists, with some friendly commentary or questions.
The personal targeting and bickering over NYU, tuition, ratings, etc. is not in keeping with our SDN site values:
"Treat others with kindness and respect, tell the truth, support each other."

Want to skip the drama? Use the Index in the first post of this thread which Kracin and I update often.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
University of Missouri - Kansas City

Dell Med Match 2022
( This is probably incomplete as it's just those who wanted to announce their results at the Match Day presentation)
Any thoughts on if we'll ever see the full match list?