*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we supposed to separate our shadowing experience in our activities section?

I just lumped them with my volunteer experiences at various clinics because I would have various shadow days depending on the schedule. I said in the description that I shadowed various DOs from family to psych to internal med.

Is it important to separate it out by itself so adcoms can see specific shadowing?

If you put them all together that’s fine. People separate them as well but you’re good either way.
 
Last edited:
If we are already verified-- will it be automatic when we submit to more schools? Or when we submit more schools do we have to go verification all over again?
 
Hello, I have two questions. As a TX resident, will that count against me for DO schools (seeing as we have a lot of schools in state)? And do they screen for secondaries? Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we are already verified-- will it be automatic when we submit to more schools? Or when we submit more schools do we have to go verification all over again?
No you’re all set! Once your application has been verified, you don’t have to go through that process again.

Hello, I have two questions. As a TX resident, will that count against me for DO schools (seeing as we have a lot of schools in state)? And do they screen for secondaries? Thanks in advance!
No that won’t count against you. As for the secondaries, most schools will send you a secondary application if you meet their minimum requirements.
 
If anyone did an SMP: is there an option you have to check on AACOMAS to differentiate it from a regular master's program? Or does it show as the same thing
 
So what is the official stance on forecasting activity hours for AACOMAS?

I was under the impression that we were not supposed to forecast hours until I came across this on the activities help page "Enter additional details about the experience, including the title of the experience and the time commitments. Enter the average weekly number of hours that you completed for this experience during the date range that you indicated."

By this logic I would enter my date range for example 1/1/2017-7/1/2020 which is when I would start school and I would include all hours including forecasted? Any help here please?
 
So what is the official stance on forecasting activity hours for AACOMAS?

I was under the impression that we were not supposed to forecast hours until I came across this on the activities help page "Enter additional details about the experience, including the title of the experience and the time commitments. Enter the average weekly number of hours that you completed for this experience during the date range that you indicated."

By this logic I would enter my date range for example 1/1/2017-7/1/2020 which is when I would start school and I would include all hours including forecasted? Any help here please?
You for sure should forecast your hours
 
So what is the official stance on forecasting activity hours for AACOMAS?

I was under the impression that we were not supposed to forecast hours until I came across this on the activities help page "Enter additional details about the experience, including the title of the experience and the time commitments. Enter the average weekly number of hours that you completed for this experience during the date range that you indicated."

By this logic I would enter my date range for example 1/1/2017-7/1/2020 which is when I would start school and I would include all hours including forecasted? Any help here please?

This is exactly what I did so I hope it's correct! If I had extra space in the activity description I also included something like: "Planning to continue ~10 hours weekly until matriculation".
 
I was just speaking with one of my activity verifiers and they notified me they are considering moving, and some of their contact information will be getting changed if they do. If they ultimately do decide to move, can I get AACOMAS to change their phone number on the application since I have already submitted?

My inclination says no since they tend to not edit things like that once it’s been received by schools. However, they may have changed how they do things this cycle. I would just go ahead and contact them about it. Let us know if you do contact them.
 
My inclination says no since they tend to not edit things like that once it’s been received by schools. However, they may have changed how they do things this cycle. I would just go ahead and contact them about it. Let us know if you do contact them.
Also this isn’t something to worry about. You put best contact info when you submitted. If it changes and they can’t reach them (which rarely happens let’s be honest) then they’ll reach out to you. No big deal.
 
The earliest secondaries for DO schools last year went out on 6/22. I don't think we'll get any until later this week, or next Monday. Chill y'all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like if worst comes to worst I could just add another activity and label it as an Amendment with updated contact info, or even let programs know once upon getting to interviews and such. I did, however, email to see if AACOMAS would help in such a predicament.
Don't do this. There is no need. If they have trouble contacting them they will reach out to you. If you feel really like you need to do something, call each school and ask. Admissions officers are there to answer these questions.
 
Looks like a few AZCOM/CCOM secondaries went out today. I was verified 5/28 and haven't heard anything yet.

Haha looks like I stand corrected. I was verified a week ago or so and haven't heard anything yet either. Here's hoping we'll hear from some other schools this week! I'm applying to ~12 DO's, but AZ/CCOM weren't on my list.
 
Can we create new evaluation requests after submitting our application? On the FAQs it mentions existing requests can be updated as long as they werent completed but can we add new requests?
 
Does AACOMAS also send out their apps to schools in "batches" like AMCAS, or more on a rolling basis since MAy? From what I've been seeing with the users who have received secondaries so far, I'm assuming it's the latter?
 
Does AACOMAS also send out their apps to schools in "batches" like AMCAS, or more on a rolling basis since MAy? From what I've been seeing with the users who have received secondaries so far, I'm assuming it's the latter?
They don't "send" anything. Essentially beginning June 15 DO schools can login to their accomas site and see all applications that are submitted.
 
Does AACOMAS also send out their apps to schools in "batches" like AMCAS, or more on a rolling basis since MAy? From what I've been seeing with the users who have received secondaries so far, I'm assuming it's the latter?

I'm sure they released them on June 14, but I'm not sure if that's a single batch or small clusters. It then is up to the schools to decide when to start reviewing. I would not be surprised if some schools have not made any efforts to examine applications yet.
 
Hey guys, so I might just be paranoid, but I did an oopsie. I submitted my application on May 1st, as early as possible, and it was verified on May 7. Today, I went in to check on my aacomas application, and I accidentally pressed the blue "update my application" button above my dashboard. Afterwards, the button just vanished. I didn't even actually change anything on my application, and I do not want to change anything either. Do you think this messed up by applications placement or the schools got a notice or something? I sure hope not.
 
Hey guys, so I might just be paranoid, but I did an oopsie. I submitted my application on May 1st, as early as possible, and it was verified on May 7. Today, I went in to check on my aacomas application, and I accidentally pressed the blue "update my application" button above my dashboard. Afterwards, the button just vanished. I didn't even actually change anything on my application, and I do not want to change anything either. Do you think this messed up by applications placement or the schools got a notice or something? I sure hope not.

Your application is still verified and has been submitted to the schools. Even if you updated information, your application will still remains submitted to those schools you’ve selected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the Experiences section, if we are presently doing something, do we no longer have to put an end date? Once you check that you are presently doing it, the asterisk next to 'End Date' disappears. Or should I put an end date?

For the number of hours, I have only put the hours I have done so far and in the description put my projected end date and the project number of hours I will accumulate. Is that okay?
 
For the Experiences section, if we are presently doing something, do we no longer have to put an end date? Once you check that you are presently doing it, the asterisk next to 'End Date' disappears. Or should I put an end date?

For the number of hours, I have only put the hours I have done so far and in the description put my projected end date and the project number of hours I will accumulate. Is that okay?
There’s is no right or wrong way to do it. If you need more space to write in the description you can just put your end date as August 2020, and project your hours. Either way works.
 
Anyone else receiving duplicate “Your transcript from XYZ University was successfully received and processed...”?

I just got a duplicate but they received that transcript a few weeks ago. Hopefully this means I’m getting verified soon?

Edit: Was verified 10 minutes after posting this 🙂
 
Last edited:
Anyone else receiving duplicate “Your transcript from XYZ University was successfully received and processed...”?

I just got a duplicate but they received that transcript a few weeks ago. Hopefully this means I’m getting verified soon?

Edit: Was verified 10 minutes after posting this 🙂

Yes... Though I believe its because I got in touch with my university asking them if they sent it, and they didn't have an answer, so they sent another one anyway.
 
Does anybody know where I can input additional info (Occupation, organization, phone, etc) of my LOR senders?

I’m on my verified application and, when looking at my references/LOR writers, only their names and interfolio email addresses are showing up.
 
Does anybody know where I can input additional info (Occupation, organization, phone, etc) of my LOR senders?

I’m on my verified application and, when looking at my references/LOR writers, only their names and interfolio email addresses are showing up.

They have the information from Interfolio but it only shows the generated Interfolio address on AACOMAS.
 
I hope this wasn't already asked but apologies in advance if it was:
Is it possible to submit with like 1 school for verification and then add on more schools later? Or do they all need to be submitted at the same time?
I also want to make sure I'll still be able to go in and add requests for Interfolio LORs once I submit?
Thanks!
 
I hope this wasn't already asked but apologies in advance if it was:
Is it possible to submit with like 1 school for verification and then add on more schools later? Or do they all need to be submitted at the same time?
I also want to make sure I'll still be able to go in and add requests for Interfolio LORs once I submit?
Thanks!

You can submit 1 school for verification and then submit more schools later on.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JOA
Hi!

I have a few questions. AACOMAS is a bit different than TMDSAS and AMCAS and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

1) I keep trying to submit my transcript electronically through National Clearing House. I selected AACOMAS but the CAS ID option doesn't come up. In addition, it keeps asking me for an email address instead of just delivering my transcript electronically like my other transcript did. What am I missing?

2) In regards to LOR, I have a committee packet already arranged. It has a MD letter and two professors. Should I get a DO letter? And can I have them submit it at a later time?

3) Am I late if I get my app in this week? I'm not entirely sure how AACOMAS works. This is new to me.
 
Hi,

So some schools require different LORs (i.e. 1 DO, 1 Science or 3 Science, etc.), say I have 4 letters of recs and 3 of them are science professors, how do I know which letter will be read by the school over the other? Thanks!
 
Hi!

I have a few questions. AACOMAS is a bit different than TMDSAS and AMCAS and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

1) I keep trying to submit my transcript electronically through National Clearing House. I selected AACOMAS but the CAS ID option doesn't come up. In addition, it keeps asking me for an email address instead of just delivering my transcript electronically like my other transcript did. What am I missing?

2) In regards to LOR, I have a committee packet already arranged. It has a MD letter and two professors. Should I get a DO letter? And can I have them submit it at a later time?

3) Am I late if I get my app in this week? I'm not entirely sure how AACOMAS works. This is new to me.

Not sure about 1.

2. If you are applying to DO schools, having a letter ranges from being required to apply to helpful for your app at the very least. You should try to get one asap.

3. No, you can submit towards the end of september/early nov if you have decent DO stats and still be fine.

Hi,

So some schools require different LORs (i.e. 1 DO, 1 Science or 3 Science, etc.), say I have 4 letters of recs and 3 of them are science professors, how do I know which letter will be read by the school over the other? Thanks!

If you submitted all of them to AACOMAS, you don't. They're all sent to each school. Alternatively if you have 2 science LORs you'd like read over the other one, only upload those 2 to AACOMAS and send the third to the school individually.
 
For the PCOM supplementary questions, is it appropriate to the same responses for each of the campuses? The questions are the same
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad