*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know for Interfolio it doesn't take too long, so it shouldn't be too big of a difference @mgmd3733 . However, someone may have a specific answer if they used that programs for their LORs as well.

For letters of rec do our writers need to include the aacomas ID in the letter? Or just the letter ID?
It wouldn't hurt if you put the AACOMAS ID in your LOR, but from what I remember was that it was required. I didn't have my AACOMAS ID when most of my letters were written, and I had no issues.

@thrinsley
Can we reuse answers to the PCOM questions for multiple campuses we are applying to?
They're separate applications so that would be fine, unless there is something you want to tailor towards each campus or one you feel more strongly about.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I add my WES international transcript evaluation after submitting AACOMAS?

I am currently getting my MPH in Australia and am in the process of getting the transcript evaluation but it could take a bit. I'd rather submit my application then wait for it, especially since not all schools require it.

So I wrote ER scribing as one activity, but then I want to talk about a specific D.O. that i often scribe for and "shadowed" before i became a full time, paid scribe. is this okay to do, or is it just redundant? the scribe activity really just talks about my whole experience as a scribe, but the shadowing one would talk about this specific DO and what i enjoy most about how he treats his patients/ etc. I have another activity mentioning i shadowed a DO ophthalmologist, but i do really want to talk about the ER D.O. as well as an experience as it has greatly affected my decision in applying D.O. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my application but it's not verified yet. Under degree type they did not have an option for my Master in Biomedical Science, so I entered Master in Medical Science. Will this cause an issue?

Many schools require that the MCAT scores should be no longer than 3 years ago. For the space where we manually enter the MCAT scores, do I enter the score from 2015? Or should I just enter eligible scores since they will be able to see all of my scores on the official MCAT score report anyways?

If I am intending on enrolling in a Masters this August and do not have any transcripts from the school yet, should I still list the school on my AACOMAS app?

What's the best way to include pubs and presentations?

I am listing each of my pubs separately, and titled "Research Publication 1," "... 2," "...3," etc. Is that fine?
My presentations are different. I have as the title "Undergraduate Poster Presentation," and then list all my UG presentations in citation format (titles and dates/places). Then I do the same with "Graduate Poster Presentation." Is this fine? Or, should I make an entry for each of those?

An interview requires a proof of citizenship and I was born outside of the country, does anyone know if an expired passport will be alright? Or a photocopy of a citizenship certificate?

An interview requires a proof of citizenship and I was born outside of the country, does anyone know if an expired passport will be alright? Or a photocopy of a citizenship certificate?
proof of american citizenship?
You can renew your passport in a jiffy. Mine took about 2 weeks or so.
US citizenship certificate is the ultimate proof of citizenship, it beats anything and anyone. So, if you want to use this you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I'm looking to send my AACOMAS primary by the end of this week. I have my academic LOR in, my clinical LOR request is submitted but the LOR is not in (he tends to procrastinate). Is it possible/recommended to just send my application in now?

Hi all,

I'm looking to send my AACOMAS primary by the end of this week. I have my academic LOR in, my clinical LOR request is submitted but the LOR is not in (he tends to procrastinate). Is it possible/recommended to just send my application in now?

Yup, I sent in the primary before my last LOR came in so I could be verified, which takes a while. The LOR processing was only a few days after it was sent; so send in the primary so can start receiving secondaries. You’ll need to have the LOR in before interviews usually. Hope this helps!

proof of american citizenship?
You can renew your passport in a jiffy. Mine took about 2 weeks or so.
US citizenship certificate is the ultimate proof of citizenship, it beats anything and anyone. So, if you want to use this you can.

Great, thanks! I’ll renew the passport ASAP and bring the citizenship paper if it’s not in by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I sent in the primary before my last LOR came in so I could be verified, which takes a while. The LOR processing was only a few days after it was sent; so send in the primary so can start receiving secondaries. You’ll need to have the LOR in before interviews usually. Hope this helps!

Awesome, appreciate the response. The MD system was a little more clear on sending letters after the primary is already in so thanks for clarifying.

I don't have a non-science LOR. Honestly didn't realize until recently that some schools require it (that's on me).I just took the MCAT today and will get the results on August 13th. I have two science LOR (physics and biology) and a DO. Im planning to apply this cycle, Im going to start this weekend.

1. How deadly is not having a non science LOR

2. Would it be too late to ask for someone to write a lor? I don't want to be impolite, but I have one professor who I might be able to ask whom I took an ethics class with. But dunno if he would say yes, or if it too late. Honestly I don't really know any of my non science professors that well, never took more than one class with any of them, but I think I stood out in the ethics class because I was very active. I dunno if I could get a personal enough LOR to make it worth it?

I don't believe my school has a committee, I have never heard of us having one, it's a small program.

My first choices atm are OU-HCOM and KY-COM, and they don't require it,, but I don't want to hurt my chances at other places (I posted recently a What are my chances thread, if respondents would like to refer to that to help me).

Thanks for any advice.

I don't have a non-science LOR. Honestly didn't realize until recently that some schools require it (that's on me).I just took the MCAT today and will get the results on August 13th. I have two science LOR (physics and biology) and a DO. Im planning to apply this cycle, Im going to start this weekend.

1. How deadly is not having a non science LOR

2. Would it be too late to ask for someone to write a lor? I don't want to be impolite, but I have one professor who I might be able to ask whom I took an ethics class with. But dunno if he would say yes, or if it too late. Honestly I don't really know any of my non science professors that well, never took more than one class with any of them, but I think I stood out in the ethics class because I was very active. I dunno if I could get a personal enough LOR to make it worth it?

I don't believe my school has a committee, I have never heard of us having one, it's a small program.

My first choices atm are OU-HCOM and KY-COM, and they don't require it,, but I don't want to hurt my chances at other places (I posted recently a What are my chances thread, if respondents would like to refer to that to help me).

Thanks for any advice.

1. If schools are asking for a non science letter + 2 science letters in lieu of a letter packet, I would say it's deadly because it shows you either cannot listen to directions or were not prepared.

2. No.

3. If you're not aware of your school having a committee probably best to research that and come up with a more definitive answer.

1. If schools are asking for a non science letter + 2 science letters in lieu of a letter packet, I would say it's deadly because it shows you either cannot listen to directions or were not prepared.

2. No.

3. If you're not aware of your school having a committee probably best to research that and come up with a more definitive answer.
I'm definitely sure there isn't a committee. I'm just now starting to make a list of schools so I'm looking at their individual requirements. I haven't seen any so far who require that, Ive just seen people on here talking about it.

2. No.

I'm definitely sure there isn't a committee. I'm just now starting to make a list of schools so I'm looking at their individual requirements. I haven't seen any so far who require that, Ive just seen people on here talking about it.

1) How long does verification take if you submit mid July 2) Do they send all my recc letters to every school? Or can you select which letters go to which like AMCAS?

I submitted 5 days ago and it only took 1 day to verify!

Once you submit to one school to get verified, can you make changes to your app? Like the PS, activities, etc or do they all become locked? Thanks!

Once you submit to one school to get verified, can you make changes to your app? Like the PS, activities, etc or do they all become locked? Thanks!

You cannot edit your PS, or activities once it’s submitted/verified, but you can add new activities, experiences, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
When medical schools have questions within the primary application, is this their secondary?

There will typically be a secondary application to complete your application but usually not another essay question in that secondary. At least based on the schools I remember who infused the two.

1) I released my MCAT score from AMCA after I self-reported the score with my AMCA ID number on AACOMAS. Will this at all affect processing my score, or should it match to my application regardless?

2) AACOMAS states my letters are "Completed." My primary application has been verified so I'm assuming there's nothing left for me to do in regard to the letters. How long does it usually take for AACOMAS to send them to the different schools?

1) I released my MCAT score from AMCA after I self-reported the score with my AMCA ID number on AACOMAS. Will this at all affect processing my score, or should it match to my application regardless?

2) AACOMAS states my letters are "Completed." My primary application has been verified so I'm assuming there's nothing left for me to do in regard to the letters. How long does it usually take for AACOMAS to send them to the different schools?

1)
No it will be fine, because they have to verify the self-report so it should be up there in a few days or so.

2)
Yes, with each application you submit, all your LORs will follow if they’re uploaded to AACOMAS.

Hello everyone,
I'm ordering NSCH transcript for ACOM right now. They're asking for a "recipient email adress" ...what do I put there? Do I just put [email protected]?
Please help.This is how I ordered transcript for AMCAS and I had no issues at all.

Hi @mwsapphire ,

You may want to read through this because it may have to be a paper transcript if they are just asking for an email address. You don’t want to have any delays because it make take a while for them to let you know about it.

Here is the link -

Hi @mwsapphire ,

You may want to read through this because it may have to be a paper transcript if they are just asking for an email address. You don’t want to have any delays because it make take a while for them to let you know about it.

Here is the link -
Im pretty sure when I go to the next page, it asks foe a transcript ID. ( thats how it worked for AMCAS, after the page asking for recipient, it asks you to enter transcript ID) Its just this page that asks for email. I read the Acomas guide, and it said that National clearing House transcripts are allowed. I'll try to put that laison email and then see if it asks for my transcript ID.
Edit: I see what you mean. My school does have NCHS, but it doesn't send to ACOMAS the way they want. Got it. That's undergrad school specific. I see what you mean now. Guess I have to go for paper transcripts- now I'm stressed. I really hope those get in on time, I wasn't expecting having to use snail mail for transcripts.

Last edited:
The mailing doesn’t take too long so I wouldn’t worry too much about it to be honest. The biggest part is just completing it correctly so you don’t have to re-do anything. You got this! @mwsapphire
Thanks. How long did your's take? I'm just frustrated bc I normally plan ahead, and it looked like I could use electronic transcripts for ACOMAS bc I saw " ACOMAS" in the drop down menu, but it just happens to be my schools only does the secure transfer for AMCAS. Like, could not have seen this coming. My MCAT doesn't come for another 3 weeks, but I just don't trust snail mail.

You can call AACOMAS and speak with them about it before doing it just in case. In my experience It took about a week for it to be uploaded to the website. However, that was before the cycle started though, so it may differ a little. Everything is still early, so you’ll be fine. @mwsapphire

Do schools send secondaries before having any letters in if the primary is submitted?
They should, yeah. Some schools even don't want letters until later ( LECOM) is a good example. I'm not sure what you do in that case...I wanna attack my committee letter directly to ACOMAS, so I'm not sure what to do.

Do schools send secondaries before having any letters in if the primary is submitted?

Schools can send secondaries without all the LORs, but they will require those specific LORS for your secondary application to be considered ‘complete.’ Afterwards they’ll review it for a possible interview.

Did anyone put intramural sports in their extracurricular activities? If so, what did you put for the supervisor information?

So my app was just verified in 2.5 hours after submitting. Yes, hours. Everything looks in place just fine but, is that normal or a red flag in any way (talk about paranoid, I know)?

Did anyone put intramural sports in their extracurricular activities? If so, what did you put for the supervisor information?

I would probably just put the information of the person who ran the league.

better to have 2 DO letters or 1 Do and 1 PI letter?

1 DO letter is sufficient.

So my app was just verified in 2.5 hours after submitting. Yes, hours. Everything looks in place just fine but, is that normal or a red flag in any way (talk about paranoid, I know)?

If everything looks fine then it’s a good thing! You don’t have to wait for verification. It likely means you entered your grades in perfectly. Or if you didn’t enter them manually, then someone saw yours right away.

So...I submitted my form for snail-mail transcripts a week ago...haven't hear any updates even though the processing center is just an hour drive away. I know I may not get an update for another week and that's normal...it's just making me antsy.

Would doing extensive traveling over various summers to appropriate to put under extracurriculars or wait until the secondaries ask about hobbies?

Would doing extensive traveling over various summers to appropriate to put under extracurriculars or wait until the secondaries ask about hobbies?
I think that counts as a way to de stress and show you have a life outside of school, just don't expect it be groundbreaking.

I think that counts as a way to de stress and show you have a life outside of school, just don't expect it be groundbreaking.
yeh it don't consider it groundbreaking, it is probably peak of the bell curve in averageness, I am just confused on whether it should be added in the primary app or the secondary

I submitted my application already, but I'm concerned because for my current activities (job, volunteering, etc) I aggregated both the time I have already completed and the time I anticipate to complete because the instructions said "time commitment." Should I send updates to the schools explaining this? Or did I do it correctly? Thanks!

I submitted my application already, but I'm concerned because for my current activities (job, volunteering, etc) I aggregated both the time I have already completed and the time I anticipate to complete because the instructions said "time commitment." Should I send updates to the schools explaining this? Or did I do it correctly? Thanks!
I haven't finished filling in ACOMAS but for AMCAS if you indicate the start and end dates correctly,they can piece it together. So, for example, if you submitted ACOMAS in July, and said
Soup kitchen volunteer "Jan 2018-July2019 200 hrs" that would be incorrect if you only did, say, 160 hours by July of 2019.
But if you enter it as
Soup Kitchen volunteer "Jan 2018-Sept 2019 200 hours" then it shows you have yet to complete some more to get to 200.Thats how I entered one of my ongoing activities.

I haven't finished filling in ACOMAS but for AMCAS if you indicate the start and end dates correctly,they can piece it together. So, for example, if you submitted ACOMAS in July, and said
Soup kitchen volunteer "Jan 2018-July2019 200 hrs" that would be incorrect if you only did, say, 160 hours by July of 2019.
But if you enter it as
Soup Kitchen volunteer "Jan 2018-Sept 2019 200 hours" then it shows you have yet to complete some more to get to 200.Thats how I entered one of my ongoing activities.

That's my concern. When I filled it out, I just clicked "Current Activity." When you do that, it does not specify the end date. It just reads "Jan 2018-current." So I feel like it's implied that I will be continuing it and completing the total amount of hours I report. I just don't want it to seem like I'm trying to pad my application.

That's my concern. When I filled it out, I just clicked "Current Activity." When you do that, it does not specify the end date. It just reads "Jan 2018-current." So I feel like it's implied that I will be continuing it and completing the total amount of hours I report. I just don't want it to seem like I'm trying to pad my application.
Well " current" implies still continuing so it should be good. It's not like you said " completed". I would think it's okay and if not at least it's obviously an error and not an egregious lie.

Hi everyone
So for one of my experiences, It's a volunteer experience, and I'm actually listing one of my coworkers as my contact bc the current supervisor has only been here a few months and I've volunteered at this place for 2 years. I just feel weird not listing my *actual* supervisor. Also, why do they need the exact address for every activity? Are they gonna march over there and ask if I really did the volunteer work? Silly.This city has multiple zip codes as well. Took me like 5 mins to find the right one for this place. ( When you look up their address it doesn't list zip code).

Hi everyone,
I know I have a lot of posts on here, but there's just less information about how you do ACOMAS compared to AMCAS.

I know it's been mentioned on here before, but I'm having trouble entering in shadowing experiences. I know you put them together as one, and I have all of my shadowing with one doctor, but I did some shadowing in the summer of 2016 and some this summer. So, since ACOMAS doesn't have a " repeated activities" option, there's no way for me to enter the 35 hrs combined without doing it as separate entries ( like it won't let me enter it as a repeated activity in the summer of 2016 and then the summer of 2019, it only let's me do 1 date range and average hours). I can't find any information on this exact scenario.

Also, you guys didn't put hobbies on ACOMAS, right? Because there is no place to?AMCAS has a hobbies option but ACOMAS only has extracurricular.I cook /bake passionately ( just tried a new french dessert recipe today) and use running to alleviate stress, which I think is relevant to managing stress in med school. Should I include it?

Thanks,
mwsapphire

Hi everyone
So for one of my experiences, It's a volunteer experience, and I'm actually listing one of my coworkers as my contact bc the current supervisor has only been here a few months and I've volunteered at this place for 2 years. I just feel weird not listing my *actual* supervisor. Also, why do they need the exact address for every activity? Are they gonna march over there and ask if I really did the volunteer work? Silly.This city has multiple zip codes as well. Took me like 5 mins to find the right one for this place. ( When you look up their address it doesn't list zip code).

If I recall correctly from the instruction page, for the "supervisor" their just looking for the name of someone who can vouch that you were actually involved in the experience, so a peer should work!

It’s okay if you have to put the ll separately. I know I entered my shadowing experiences separately at the time. Yeah you can place hobbies under extracurriculars if it’s sormthing you’re really passionate about since there is no specific section like you mentioned. For example, I was president of a supporters club outside of school so that was something I put in there.

@mwsapphire