This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got results. Passed comfortably.

Took the general IM recert in April. Read Board Basics and went through MKSAP ~ 3 times. Odd test. Had no idea how I had done leaving the test.

Don’t think it matters the question bank. Do one and stick with it. And I think the UpToDate link just makes you second guess questions. The things that could be found by UpToDate were straight forward things I already knew (IMHO).

Members don't see this ad.

is doing mksap questions only enough to pass the boards?

is doing mksap questions only enough to pass the boards?
Depends on the person. Some people could probably pass taking the exam cold. Some could do 3 qbanks and still feel uncomfortable without a review course.

Do you have a good knowledge base, felt comfortable on the ITEs all three years, and are doing fairly well on MKSAP (certainly scoring more right than wrong, but also having very few "wtf are they asking" moments)? If so, the answer is you're likely fine just with MKSAP. If you feel uncomfortable, pick a second qbank (I met those criteria but am also paranoid, so did UWorld as a second source).

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI for anyone taking the hospital focused recert:

I took the Hospital Focused 10 year re-certification in April. I am entering my 10th year of practice (last 8 solely as a hospitalist). I started studying about 1 hour a day 3 months prior to the exam. I got through only half of MKSAP. I started with the sections that were most heavily weighted based on the blueprint the ABIM puts out. I started with cardiology, then pulm/cc, nephrology and then general. In MKSAP, I was skeptical that I only needed to know the blue highlighted sections, but this was probably true.

I did the test extremely fast. There are 4 blocks of 2 hours and I finished each in one hour. This made me nervous. When I left I had no idea how I did. Then I ended up doing above the average. I was happy.

I wouldn't go overboard with studying for this exam if you feel like you stay reasonably up to date with basic hospital medicine. This is coming from someone who is a poor standardized test taker and almost didn't get into medical school because of the MCAT

Currently studying for this beast. Anyone alive out there? Havent seen much action recently and its almost go time. Im trying to get through MKSAP 17 books twice (almost done with one pass), MKSAP questions once, and UWorld once. Ill prob burn out before getting through it all though. Think this is enough? Havent taken IM insevice in a couple years but I was right around the average.

I am alive

Finished MKSAP qbank once, got 63%

Half way through uWorld, getting 66%. They say that is 80th percentile but hard to believe that.

Not sure if I’m ready or not, but tired of studying. Ready to go

My final plan after - if - I finish qbanks is just going over board basics, some flash cards I made by hand and some I made through the uWorld program.

Im sucking hard at MKSAP atm, around 63-67 depending on topic. This is after one bloody pass of MKSAP 17 books. Doing general internal medicine now and narrowing things down to 2 answer choices and inevitably choosing the wrong one. One question recently was a patient with h/o prostate cancer who had repeat imaging done showing lesions in the spine. I figured the right answer was to tell him about the lesions and that it is likely his cancer returned. Nope right answer was apparently "you have cancer." No easing into it, just blam, you have cancer. Very frustrated atm.

MKSAP books too hard to read for me. I look at them for reference or read entire sections I am weak on...

I have the same issue, I narrow it down to two answers, and then choose the wrong one.

It seems like every question I get wrong, the answer is in the board basics book. I intend to read through the entire book once in the week before the test, hopefully that helps.

I am doing uworld questions only, I have problems getting through MKSAP books. Will try to use board basics once I am done with qs. Ready too for this to be over with!!

Hi what are my chances to pass the IM board exam.

My inservice scores are:
1st year: 59%
2nd year: 69%
3rd year: 71%

I have done mksap once this year. And now I am focusing on uworld (which is much harder imo).

Thanks in advance

I'm studying for this nightmare too. I've been focusing almost purely on MKSAP questions so far. I'm not reading the books except to look up stuff I don't know. I'm basically going through all the questions in MKSAP while simultaneously using BB to look up the ones I have no clue (no point in just randomly guessing, so I take the opportunity to read up on it if I know I don't know it). I take notes in BB as I go through it.
My plan is to finish MKSAP, probably in the next few days, I only have like 50 questions left. Then, I'm going to try to go back through all the ones that I starred or missed and re-do them, read my notes/explanations, etc. I'm just trying to make sure I remember everything I've done in MKSAP.
I'm also thinking I'll start doing blocks of timed UWORLD questions each day on random mode so I'm sort of simulating the exam. Maybe 10, 20, or 30 each day if I can stand it. I'll then spend time reviewing the ones I miss of course. I'll try to get through as many as I can but I doubt I'll get through all of them (there are still around 1000 I haven't done yet). So far the UWORLD questions are kicking my butt so it's been painful to do.

This is a much different study strategy than I used in the past when I didn't pass. In the past I would focus mostly on reading and taking notes and then just did a few questions after. I didn't get through all the questions last time. There were some sections I didn't even do at all. So, I'm hoping this time my "question focused" approach will help me remember stuff that's actually high yield.

Started studying since residency ended on July 1.

MKSAP questions are a joke compared to UW, which is much more difficult with very long question stems. Just finished first pass UW, going back to do the incorrects in the next few days. Will plan to read BB in the next month with focus on the weak areas as identified by UW and also based on my incorrects. Planning on running through MKSAP in August for knowledge consolidation, which should be a breeze after UW.

I am glad people are finding uworld as difficult as I am finding it. Somewhat of a relief. :/

Can any help me answer my question?? Regarding my inservice exam score and chances to pass the board exam.

See post # 1410

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad people are finding uworld as difficult as I am finding it. Somewhat of a relief. :/

Can any help me answer my question?? Regarding my inservice exam score and chances to pass the board exam.

See post # 1410
I wouldn't focus too much on your "chances" based on inservice exam scores. Sure, people who score higher on those, have a higher likelihood of passing boards. But, who cares? It's already in the past. You need to just focus on studying as hard as you can. That's the only thing that can increase your chances at this point.

See post # 1410

What were your percentiles? My program results are very similar to the standard gauge that if you get >30th percentile on the in-services you should be fine to pass with an average amount of studying.

Question - a lot of the MKSAP questions about HTN have been invalidated now that the guideline to treat HTN is 130/80. Would the boards expect us to use the JNC guidelines, or these? Or is it too controversial, that if you selected either answer it would be scored as correct?

Thanks!

Question - a lot of the MKSAP questions about HTN have been invalidated now that the guideline to treat HTN is 130/80. Would the boards expect us to use the JNC guidelines, or these? Or is it too controversial, that if you selected either answer it would be scored as correct?

Thanks!
Typically when there's competing guidelines (HTN, DM, lipids) they'll give you a question with a clear cut answer.

What were your percentiles? My program results are very similar to the standard gauge that if you get >30th percentile on the in-services you should be fine to pass with an average amount of studying.

Definitely around 60% percentile in my second and third in service exams, I believe.

Well I'm about 400 questions into MKSAP and scoring ~ 70%. Thoughts? Is this ok?

I am giving my ABIM next month. I scored 67% on MED study one day 240 question exam simulation. Is that good enough? Also 42 percentile on UW. Would anyone kindly give an opinion. Thanks.

I am giving my ABIM next month. I scored 67% on MED study one day 240 question exam simulation. Is that good enough? Also 42 percentile on UW. Would anyone kindly give an opinion. Thanks.
I think you're on the ragged edge of passing with this performance. If you have a great day on the real thing, you'll be OK.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're on the ragged edge of passing with this performance. If you have a great day on the real thing, you'll be OK.
Thanks gutonc...... WOuld you kindly let me know whether your assessment is based it on my UW score or Med study exam score? Thanks

If someone could help me. Are the questions in pre test MKSAP exam included in the 1000 questions? Or is it completely separate set of exams? I am scoring 65 % in pretest. Is it a good score? But I did it at the end of my studies ie after completing 1000 questions. My fear is whether there is duplication of questions in pretest and hence the real score in pretest is worse. Can someone please clarify. Thanks

Thanks gutonc...... WOuld you kindly let me know whether your assessment is based it on my UW score or Med study exam score? Thanks

42nd percentile on uworld is probably fine. First time pass rate for ABIM is ~90%, so you want to avoid being in the 10th percentile or lower. @gutonc was being sarcastic due to your apparent neuroticism.

If someone could help me. Are the questions in pre test MKSAP exam included in the 1000 questions? Or is it completely separate set of exams? I am scoring 65 % in pretest. Is it a good score? But I did it at the end of my studies ie after completing 1000 questions. My fear is whether there is duplication of questions in pretest and hence the real score in pretest is worse. Can someone please clarify. Thanks

The pretest is separate from the ~1200 questions, though some concepts are present on both. 65% is around the average.

The average resident passes. The below average resident passes. Only the way below average people (or those who don't study because they think the test is a joke) fail.

Continue studying for the next few weeks, finish whatever questions you still have, and go through board basics. You'll be fine.

42nd percentile on uworld is probably fine. First time pass rate for ABIM is ~90%, so you want to avoid being in the 10th percentile or lower. @gutonc was being sarcastic due to your apparent neuroticism.

The pretest is separate from the ~1200 questions, though some concepts are present on both. 65% is around the average.

The average resident passes. The below average resident passes. Only the way below average people (or those who don't study because they think the test is a joke) fail.

Continue studying for the next few weeks, finish whatever questions you still have, and go through board basics. You'll be fine.

Man....Thanks.. I have taken this exam multiple times and failed. So really tensed. My exam is in 3 weeks. . I did Medstudy video x3, BB x2(almost), MKSAP/UW MCQ- going through wrongs now- completed once....Any advise would help

Man....Thanks.. I have taken this exam multiple times and failed. So really tensed. My exam is in 3 weeks. . I did Medstudy video x3, BB x2(almost), MKSAP/UW MCQ- going through wrongs now- completed once....Any advise would help
See...this is why you should be up front from the get go.

How did you do on UE MedStudy and MKSAP the last “multiple times” that you failed? Are you doing better? Worse? The same? That’s a much better guide than anything anyone here can offer you.

See...this is why you should be up front from the get go.

How did you do on UE MedStudy and MKSAP the last “multiple times” that you failed? Are you doing better? Worse? The same? That’s a much better guide than anything anyone here can offer you.
I did better in pretest for MKSAP. But don't know whether the pretest questions are the same the second time. last year it was 55% this year 65%.

WAMC for IM boards
ITE
1st year: 60th percentile (62%)
2nd year: 25th percentile (60%)
3rd year: 67th percentile (78%)
Did MKSAP x1 now on UW scoring 60s-70s and exam 3 weeks away

WAMC for IM boards
ITE
1st year: 60th percentile (62%)
2nd year: 25th percentile (60%)
3rd year: 67th percentile (78%)
Did MKSAP x1 now on UW scoring 60s-70s and exam 3 weeks away
Can you please tell how much how much percentile you are scoring for UW. THanks

Other than MKSAP, do you guys know any site where we can give a mock ABIM exam? Thanks

There are like a million different QBanks. Just pick one or two and roll your own mock exam.
I have Med study/MKSAP and UW- both of which I finished and there is no point in taking mock exam in them as all the questions have been answered and therefore it really doesn't test the latest where I stand. .Would you kindly suggest another good one, please. I just want to do an exam may be 150-200 questions simulating ABIM and to compare how I stand with the rest . Aprreciate your input.

I have Med study/MKSAP and UW- both of which I finished and there is no point in taking mock exam in them as all the questions have been answered and therefore it really doesn't test the latest where I stand. .Would you kindly suggest another good one, please. I just want to do an exam may be 150-200 questions simulating ABIM and to compare how I stand with the rest . Aprreciate your input.
NEJM is a good qbank
Uworld was my favorite
MKSAP was good during residency

I've decided, given limited time, to just stick with MKSAP qbank exclusively at this point. I've been through it once already doing a study mode where I look up answers if I don't know it and take notes on questions I clearly don't know or miss. Now I'm going through it a second time in test mode where I do timed 60 question blocks. I want to make sure I really know all the questions in MKSAP. I think it's my best shot at this point. I'm currently scoring around 74% average. Don't know if that's going to be enough or not. I'm hoping by carefully going through all of the questions and focusing on the ones I miss, re-reading BB and the notes I took in there, that I'll actually be able to remember everything I've studied so far. I can't wait for this test to be over. It's ruining my entire summer.

Good morning guys......Apologies for bombarding you with so many questions. Was wondering if anyone have used Know-med-g-e . Is it a good question bank? I see that the average percentage on it is 62%. Can anyone who have used it shed some light on whether a percentage (not percentile) of 55 on it is good (it corresponds to 40 percentile ) .Also, how is the Flashcard? Is it high yield and is it worth going through ? Thank you very much.

Hi guys, have another question to add to the pool:
Finished the MKSAP qBank and started doing some timed quizzes and they have a few hundred "MKSAP17 update questions" that cite and link to a pubmed article for the question that was published maybe 1-2 years ago... honestly with some studies and new guidelines I've never heard about before.

The question stem has a link to the article, and the answer to the question sometimes is easily found if I click the link, but I am assuming on the test they won't have it like that? Or will they even ask questions like that on the exam? Thanks!

Less than 2 weeks until my exam date
Finished MKSAP earlier this year, got 63%. Got 66% on uWorld that I just completed (which it says is 82nd percentile?).

Will just review now...run through board basics and hope for the best

Hi guys, have another question to add to the pool:
Finished the MKSAP qBank and started doing some timed quizzes and they have a few hundred "MKSAP17 update questions" that cite and link to a pubmed article for the question that was published maybe 1-2 years ago... honestly with some studies and new guidelines I've never heard about before.

The question stem has a link to the article, and the answer to the question sometimes is easily found if I click the link, but I am assuming on the test they won't have it like that? Or will they even ask questions like that on the exam? Thanks!
No, they don’t have those questions

There are many contradictions between Boards Basics and uWorld, that I am not sure how to reconcile.

For example. In a patient with mechanical mitral valve...do you interrupt anticoagulation for a dental procedure? Boards Basics says clearly yes, while uWorld had a question on this and the answer was no.

Also...should all patients with mitral/aortic valve replacement be on aspirin? uWorld says yes, Boards Basics says consider if there are other risk factors...

Any thoughts on this specific question...and how to proceed with other contradictions?

There are many contradictions between Boards Basics and uWorld, that I am not sure how to reconcile.

For example. In a patient with mechanical mitral valve...do you interrupt anticoagulation for a dental procedure? Boards Basics says clearly yes, while uWorld had a question on this and the answer was no.

Also...should all patients with mitral/aortic valve replacement be on aspirin? uWorld says yes, Boards Basics says consider if there are other risk factors...

Any thoughts on this specific question...and how to proceed with other contradictions?

I've found NUMEROUS of these contradictions and have no idea how to reconcile them :\

scoring in 50's in the last couple of mksap random quizzes...starting to go into panic mode...

This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to access a composite of all of your notes in MKSAP?