This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
our program leader received an email letting her know our pass/fail results. this makes me think all results have been released finally

Members don't see this ad.

Guys,

I need some advise. Got my results yesterday; failed by 6 points which is like...2 questions? I probably deserved it though...I underestimated this beast, and barely finished MKSAP once and no other materials used. Now I'm a first year cards fellow, but definitely going to allocate some time to actually study for it. What material do you guys recommend other than MKSAP (which I plan to do one more time)?

Thanks!
Uworld. It's harder than MKSAP. Hell, it's harder than the real thing. Demoralizing but great practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You poor poor soul. I had to wait until Tuesday night and it was agony. Seriously we should complain to ABIM
I agree,, waiting till Wednesday was like being in hell... kudos to these guys..

Reactions: 1 user
Uworld. It's harder than MKSAP. Hell, it's harder than the real thing. Demoralizing but great practice.
My best advice is to Med study videos with Med study material, then do u world questions atleast twice..

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you that I’m still waiting

Made an account just to post my experience.

Second attempt, passed with a 375 (wowza!!). Got my score on Monday afternoon- didn’t realize at the time i was one of the lucky ones to hear so early. Score report dated 10/4

Last year failed with a 336. Was SHOCKED. felt very confident that I had mastered the material and had done well. Attended a live medstudy review course and did mksap questions (although not 100%). Paid the $250 to rescore as I was in total denial- they got back to me in December and nope I had still failed. HOWEVER, last year I was the last one in my area to get my results- was 3 days after everyone else seemed to receive theirs. I also NEVER GOT THE EMAIL from ABIM- was just constantly refreshing. So basically they did the same $h!t last year too.

Fast forward to this year, reviewed all my medstudy notes and did Uworld. Felt that Uworld was a much better representation of the exam material. Managed to scrape together enough study time in between full time hospitalist work and a 6 month old baby to pass.

My advice to anyone needing to retake is :
1) don’t freak out. This has no meaning on your abilities to be a good physician.
2) take time off to study next summer. I didn’t do this- and just barely squeaked by.
3) Uworld Uworld Uworld

Good luck. Mostly just really want to hear about you PulmCrit!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys could use some real advice.

I failed. What Qbank would ppl here focus on MKSAP or Uworld? I did awesome review last time and thought it gave me enough high yield fundamentals, but I need to do more questions. Please help.

After reviewing many of the posts about study tips, I have come to the following conclusion. There is no full proof method. I feel that if you have a good foundation, then you can comfortably pass by doing multiple q banks. In my opinion Uworld was excellent, and mksap was also very good as a supplement. If you struggled in your in-service exams, then I'd suggest the blue collar approach: flash cards, text books (BB, med study, etc.), board review courses, and of course qbanks etc.).

I'd say in-service percentiles of 35% are fairly safe, and you should be able to pass with qbanks alone. But of course you are the best judge of how good your foundation is.
Once you start getting below the 35th percentile, you really should be starting from the basics.

My friend and I did 100's of questions together and had different results. I recently learned that his in-service scores were <20th percentile. Mine were 84, 82, 90th percentile. Unfortunately he failed.

The test overall is very very forgiving, and allows for silly mistakes (which I made plenty off).

Last edited:
Guys,

I need some advise. Got my results yesterday; failed by 6 points which is like...2 questions? I probably deserved it though...I underestimated this beast, and barely finished MKSAP once and no other materials used. Now I'm a first year cards fellow, but definitely going to allocate some time to actually study for it. What material do you guys recommend other than MKSAP (which I plan to do one more time)?

Thanks!
Why get boarded in IM?

Guys,

Thanks!
Honestly. Everyone has a different fund of knowledge. So for people that have a great fund of knowledge and failed they should focus on exam strategy. If you have a poor fund of knowledge, mksap cover to cover followed by uworld tutor mode is a bare minimum. Above all else, you made it this far, you obviously have what it takes! Knuckle down and get it done. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Study strategy for this exam;

I studied in six weeks, my fellowship is Cush because they didn't have me on consults till I took my exam

I went through the board review book twice. Did 90% percent of mksap 17 twice. First time going through it was HORRIBLE was scoring in the 30-40% then second time around scored in the high 70%

I did a few flash cards and images from mksap as well. The exam was fair. You get what you studied for! For the most part I thought I did alright. But then few days thought may be I failed!

ITE scores 60s

I didn't do any Qbank besides mksap because personally I rather focus on one Qbank but to each their own

I am not happy with ABIM's new plan for 2 year re-certification....

Just wanted to post feedback on exam/score/study methods.

Passed with score in the 390s. (Passing is 370). I think the max score someone can get is 800.
Generally scored around 20% on ITEs. Step scores generally in the 200-210s.
Used MKSAP exclusively. Read most the books with the exception of derm and neuro (skimmed). Barely opened board basics, which I wish I would have used more of. Did about 60% of MKSAP questions (i think i tend to read too much and would benefit from doing more questions). Near test time, I was generally scoring ~65% on MKSAP question blocks (random, first pass) and I passed with a little breathing room, so if you're getting that on MKSAP, you are probably ok.

Random Pearls
- Onc on the real thing was easier than MKSAP.
- MKSAP online has these questions that are based on an article the question is linked to. There are not similar type questions on the real thing and I wish MKSAP would remove them.
- Some of the pics and questions were directly from MKSAP. (It's the only source I used so can't comment on other products). If you have access to MKSAP even if it's not your primary resource, highly recommend flipping through the virtual diagnoses pics as a few showed up on my exam.
- I would say if you're scoring at least 65% on MKSAP, you will likely be able to pass.

Just wanted to post feedback on exam/score/study methods.

Passed with score in the 390s. (Passing is 370). I think the max score someone can get is 800.
Generally scored around 20% on ITEs. Step scores generally in the 200-210s.
Used MKSAP exclusively. Read most the books with the exception of derm and neuro (skimmed). Barely opened board basics, which I wish I would have used more of. Did about 60% of MKSAP questions (i think i tend to read too much and would benefit from doing more questions). Near test time, I was generally scoring ~65% on MKSAP question blocks (random, first pass) and I passed with a little breathing room, so if you're getting that on MKSAP, you are probably ok.

Random Pearls
- Onc on the real thing was easier than MKSAP.
- MKSAP online has these questions that are based on an article the question is linked to. There are not similar type questions on the real thing and I wish MKSAP would remove them.
- Some of the pics and questions were directly from MKSAP. (It's the only source I used so can't comment on other products). If you have access to MKSAP even if it's not your primary resource, highly recommend flipping through the virtual diagnoses pics as a few showed up on my exam.
- I would say if you're scoring at least 65% on MKSAP, you will likely be able to pass.

I genuinely don't mean any offense by this, but 390s isn't that much of "breathing room" (probably just a couple percent) so you whoever is reading this should probably do a little bit more than what OP recommends.

Dude, at this point you should be calling them or looking for an error or something. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be out yet.
There are still people that don’t know. My PD confirmed with other PDs. ABIM said there was nothing wrong with my exam. I’m just one of the lucky ones I guess.

So what are y’all thinking? Gamble on q10 and see what it’s like in 2027? Or are y’all gonna do q2? At this point really uninterested in giving any more money to ABIM

our program leader received an email letting her know our pass/fail results. this makes me think all results have been released finally

Do program directors get pass/Fail or do they get our actual scores?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is the benefit of q2 years? easier?

I am doing my cards boards next, so probably do 10 years if needed.

I think "the benefit" are shorter peace-meal exams but still covering a wide-range of topics. Each 2-year exams will be 3 hours long. The plus part is if you fail once, it doesn't affect your certifications. Fail twice, you have to take the 10-year exam like what we've done. Also, it's open book; you can use UpToDate. Although I don't think there's enough time to look up questions. The best part, instant results.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

What is the benefit of q2 years? easier?

I am doing my cards boards next, so probably do 10 years if needed.

Last edited:
I think "the benefit" are shorter peace-meal exams but still covering a wide-range of topics. Each 2-year exams will be 3 hours long. The plus part is if you fail once, it doesn't affect your certifications. Fail twice, you have to take the 10-year exam like what we've done. Also, it's open book; you can use UpToDate. Although I don't think there's enough time to look up questions. The best part, instant results.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you know if this 2 year exam will be at an official exam center or is it something that can be done from home?

It can be done anywhere. The only requirement is a computer with a camera so they can film you. Since it's open book, I think they just want to make sure it's not a group test with a bunch of doctors helping each other or a paid test taker instead of you. LOL.

Do you know if this 2 year exam will be at an official exam center or is it something that can be done from home?

My old PD also stated that she received email from ABIM on Friday listing which 1st time test takers from the program passed or failed.
If I recall, the PD's do get your actual score if you release this information to them, you can opt not to however at the beginning of the test.

Congrats to all this year who passed, sounds like the disclosure of the results was done in the worst possible way this year.

As it stands now, you will have the option of Q2 or Q10. But since this hasn't even come into effect yet, who knows how it will change by the time it's an issue for any of us.
Will you also have the option of taking a hospitalist version (strictly inpatient questions)?

Will you also have the option of taking a hospitalist version (strictly inpatient questions)?
I don't think so. You can do hospitalist focused MOC once you pass the initial exam. And perhaps you'll be able to do that for the Q2 exam. But this remains in flux.

I passed! I have been in this forum for a couple of years now looking for a study partner or studying by myself while seeing people who passed and others didn't as usual. Last year I was one of those who didn't pass again and would be unable to retake the exam due to the new rules limiting the times you can sit for it. I was convinced I would never pass until I went back on the forums of previous years and saw there were people who had failed 5 times or more. I decided to try one more time and do things differently.
It really helped me to find a coach who helped me realize that while I had the knowledge I had to develop a better strategy to answer questions correctly, because let's face it, if you don't answer correctly you fail, period, you're done, end of story! It doesn't matter how much you know or how you practice medicine. You have to answer the test correctly. When I started with the coach I would eliminate incorrect alternatives, except for two choices. It was a recurrent problem I had EVERY time I took the test. In order to pass you have to click the correct choice or you fail, that's it. The knowledge is there but you have to get better at answering questions.
Also, a lot of people told me there are no trick questions, well I differ. The exam has lots of word games and information presented in a way that if you are not truly aware, it will make you choose the wrong alternative. I needed to be able to choose confidently and not change things around. In the past I used to change the answers a lot because I was not sure but not this year. While it was not easy, I was confident in my performance. Of course there is always a possibility that you don't pass and until you see the results you don't know however, I left the testing center feeling confident as opposed to last time when I was just defeated before the end of the last section.
Working with the strategist also helped me to select the material I was going to use primarily instead of having a bunch of books and online material that created more anxiety than help. Some people may think that it is given, but when you have failed, even if it is one time, your mindset has a lot to do with your performance so I worked with my mindset before I started to study and it truly helped. I planned to take a live or video review course, but I ended up not doing it and in the end I didn't need it. I'm not saying don't do it, that was just my experience. For those who passed congratulations, and for those who did not, consider your options. It is not an easy test and when you have failed it is much harder to conquer this beast.

Hi;
Congratulations for all of the one who passed their exams. Unfortunately after long wait my results came in the other direction and I'm preparing to take it again next year. I like group study or study partner to help keep on track. If anyone in the same situation I will be happy to partner up and bet up this test and pass it next year. MSM me if you are interested... thank you

Passed

FMG
Went to med school in India
Step 1 262
Step 2 266
Step 3 244 taken before residency

Residency from mid tier university program in the south
ITE percentiles
PGY1 98
PGY2 96
PGY3 82 (took it in 4 hours to catch a flight for an interview)

Grudgingly completed MKSAP16 once over 2 years of residency as it was mandatory for us to submit blocks every 2 months.
Started fellowship after redid 75% of MKSAP during the 2 months prior to ABIM.

ABIM score: 566

FWIW I did not study any text book or board review material during residency. Spent all time during 2nd and 3rd year doing research. I'm not saying this to brag, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself because I did not learn internal medicine and I know it will make me a weaker physician. I felt what I learned during med school really carried me through during residency.

This thread sort of killed me as I waited for my results, and I got mine on 4am the second day lol
Just wanted to say I seriously felt like I failed this exam when I walked out, and was incredibly worried. I passed comfortably. Just wanted to calm some nerves of some people for next year if they read this- I felt like it was very unlike any USMLE or COMLEX exam.......

I did the Awesome Board Review (my program paid for it and it was mandatory- I was not in the board mindset while taking it, so I think there is more to get out of it if you dedicate yourself to it), and did all of MKSAP 17 in the 6 weeks before the exam. I redid all my wrong questions. I had an average of around 72% at the end of my first go through (I did most of MKSAP 16 in residency and was honestly getting the same).

I took notes on almost all questions- but I think the best piece of advice is know yourself and the best way you learn, and don't try to change it for this exam. I learn by handwriting notes, doing lots of questions, and reading my notes and again re-writing notes. Not so much of a visual or audio learner- but if making 45364 notecards has worked for you- do it. Listening to lectures- do it. Etc. Good luck for next year, and congrats to others.

I passed the exam this year on my 4th try
im very bad at taking tests/exam but I also never took this exam as seriously as I should have.
I needed to pass this year or would have had some serious consequences at my job as a hospitalist
therefore i started studying since february after my work shift doing UWORLD questions.
Did UWOLRD 3 times, all 1154 questions, in tutorial mode.
also bought MKSAP and did it one time
read 5 times Awesome Review from cover to cover until i could tell you exactly which page was x and y topic
went to take the test thinking that this was not for me, passing the test, that once you failed 3 times they never let you pass the test
but i did it for me but specially for my family (wife and kids) as they sacrifice so much to let me study.
thankfully as I wrote in oct 25th i passed the test. I was working that day and almost broke to tears due to the stress and agony that this test has represented.
I write this not only to let it out but also to give hope to those who think this test cannot be pass after failing it.
again, started doing questions since february. started memorizing/reading awesome review since may.
took the entire month off prior to the exam from work.
study from 7am to 10-11pm

Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. I passed on my third attempt this year after 4.5 years out of residency. Finally, took the test seriously and actually studied. First time, just went in and took it. Second, time half-assed study while working full time and doing locum tenens my weeks off. I knew I had to buckle down and study otherwise risk losing my job.

I passed the exam this year on my 4th try
im very bad at taking tests/exam but I also never took this exam as seriously as I should have.
I needed to pass this year or would have had some serious consequences at my job as a hospitalist
therefore i started studying since february after my work shift doing UWORLD questions.
Did UWOLRD 3 times, all 1154 questions, in tutorial mode.
also bought MKSAP and did it one time
read 5 times Awesome Review from cover to cover until i could tell you exactly which page was x and y topic
went to take the test thinking that this was not for me, passing the test, that once you failed 3 times they never let you pass the test
but i did it for me but specially for my family (wife and kids) as they sacrifice so much to let me study.
thankfully as I wrote in oct 25th i passed the test. I was working that day and almost broke to tears due to the stress and agony that this test has represented.
I write this not only to let it out but also to give hope to those who think this test cannot be pass after failing it.
again, started doing questions since february. started memorizing/reading awesome review since may.
took the entire month off prior to the exam from work.
study from 7am to 10-11pm

Congrats to those who passed. I don't mean to take away from your victory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I ask that we all step back for a second and look at this situation.
We are a group of doctors who have sacrificed years of our life to get through school and residency only to find ourselves bending over backwards to pass an exam written by an outside organization who has come into our profession, told us we have to answer 240 questions that they write in secret, pay them money, or we won't be "allowed" to practice medicine?!
That's ludicrous! At some point, we all need to realize that we're being screwed by the ABMS. This test should be a completely optional thing (as it was originally intended). We should stand up to our hospital administrators, stand up to insurance companies and tell them no more.
No one should have to take an entire month off of work and study 7am to 11pm just to answer some BS multiple choice questions that have virtually nothing to do with how we perform our jobs. The amount of stress, anxiety, and lost productivity this test has caused should have us all up in arms against the ABMS.
Thanks for letting me rant. But, I'm quite passionately serious about this problem we have.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those who passed. I don't mean to take away from your victory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I ask that we all step back for a second and look at this situation.
We are a group of doctors who have sacrificed years of our life to get through school and residency only to find ourselves bending over backwards to pass an exam written by an outside organization who has come into our profession, told us we have to answer 240 questions that they write in secret, pay them money, or we won't be "allowed" to practice medicine?!
That's ludicrous! At some point, we all need to realize that we're being screwed by the ABMS. This test should be a completely optional thing (as it was originally intended). We should stand up to our hospital administrators, stand up to insurance companies and tell them no more.
No one should have to take an entire month off of work and study 7am to 11pm just to answer some BS multiple choice questions that have virtually nothing to do with how we perform our jobs. The amount of stress, anxiety, and lost productivity this test has caused should have us all up in arms against the ABMS.
Thanks for letting me rant. But, I'm quite passionately serious about this problem we have.
You can write questions if you want - we had a few attendings write questions - more time than it’s worth really.

Lots of talk about physician burnout this month and as always with these type of conversations come what could be fixed - excessive amount of administrators and too much insurance garbage coupled with a bad EMR. The fix? Don’t know if there is one - single payer would eliminate a lot of the bloat, but would create system like the VA (with its own bloat). /off topic

Lastly, you shouldn’t have to take off an entire month for this test - your residency training is prep for this test.

BB, annotate nuances from qbank in there
The Qbank (MKSAP +/- UWorld) will always be my primary source of studying. I would like to find one single quick review book.

You like Board Basics? My only hesitation about it is that it seems too simple, not enough content. Anyone here a fan of Master the Boards?

The Qbank (MKSAP +/- UWorld) will always be my primary source of studying. I would like to find one single quick review book.

You like Board Basics? My only hesitation about it is that it seems too simple, not enough content. Anyone here a fan of Master the Boards?
BB is consice and highlights the high yield/don’t forget this stuff - the boards are not overly detailed, they test you on common scenarios, high pre test probability dx with neg initial dx workup (what do you do next), common stuff seen on the wards, appropriate abx use etc. If you’re not a good test taker then you should do more questions.

For myself, I didn’t want an overly detailed book - didn’t read MKSAP books (still in the plastic wrap). But you need to use a review source you’re comfortable with - doesn’t matter what others think.

One qbank and one book and pay attention throughout residency is all you need to pass this exam (for some just residency training is suffice)

Good luck