This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I went to a good residency and scored in the 90%+ percentile all three years of residency, is board basics and MKSAP enough? Do I have to buy UWorld?

Always done well on ITE, USMLE, MCAT etc...

Members don't see this ad.

If I went to a good residency and scored in the 90%+ percentile all three years of residency, is board basics and MKSAP enough? Do I have to buy UWorld?

Always done well on ITE, USMLE, MCAT etc...
If you scored >90th percentile all 3 years, you could probably take the real thing cold and pass just fine.

Not that I'd recommend it. MKSAP is more than enough though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have experience with mayo clinic ABIM review videos? Worth it? Or stick to qbanks?

Looking for a study group/partner for 2018 abim exam. If you are interested let’s connect and start a scheduled discussion/questions review.

Congrats to those who passed. I don't mean to take away from your victory, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I ask that we all step back for a second and look at this situation.
We are a group of doctors who have sacrificed years of our life to get through school and residency only to find ourselves bending over backwards to pass an exam written by an outside organization who has come into our profession, told us we have to answer 240 questions that they write in secret, pay them money, or we won't be "allowed" to practice medicine?!
That's ludicrous! At some point, we all need to realize that we're being screwed by the ABMS. This test should be a completely optional thing (as it was originally intended). We should stand up to our hospital administrators, stand up to insurance companies and tell them no more.
No one should have to take an entire month off of work and study 7am to 11pm just to answer some BS multiple choice questions that have virtually nothing to do with how we perform our jobs. The amount of stress, anxiety, and lost productivity this test has caused should have us all up in arms against the ABMS.
Thanks for letting me rant. But, I'm quite passionately serious about this problem we have.
When I read your post it represented how I felt about his test from day 1. It is unusual concept to continue testing professionals about knowledge sometimes they don’t even practice in their fields. It seems Medical profession is one of few they demand such testing. It is not done for lawyers, businessmen, etc.

When I read your post it represented how I felt about his test from day 1. It is unusual concept to continue testing professionals about knowledge sometimes they don’t even practice in their fields. It seems Medical profession is one of few they demand such testing. It is not done for lawyers, businessmen, etc.
Say what you will but I wouldn't recommend my loved one be managed by someone who can't pass this test.

Many fields require certification and continued periodic evaluations. There are few fields in which a person has a potential risk to kill someone on a daily basis. We are given the ability to write for controlled substances. Practicing medicine is a privilege with immense responsibility, so some form of “knowledge check in” is required for the board to perform their due diligence. Plus, I’d rather have someone who had to jump through the same hoops as I have to compete in the market I’m in (as self-preserving as that may be).

so some form of “knowledge check in” is required for the board to perform their due diligence.
You make a good point. I think we would all agree that some form of "knowledge check" or some form of "check" to make sure a physician still knows her stuff and is doing the job correctly, is all in good order. But the question is, to what extent? For instance, I could make the argument that a physician should have to retake the USMLE Step 1 thru 3 every 10 years, b/c I want to be confident that said physician still knows her biochem and pathophys. In other words, you have to get re-licensed from scratch every 10 years (or call it 5 years, or 20, whatever). Why not?! I would prefer a system that didn't require any further testing, but rather reviewed or surveyed the physicians actual work (chart review, review of complaints, etc etc).

Speaking of tests/questions: UWorld Qbank for ABIM, 25 questions = 60 minutes in exam mode, that's almost 2.5 minutes for a question.....that's a little too generous, no?

You make a good point. I think we would all agree that some form of "knowledge check" or some form of "check" to make sure a physician still knows her stuff and is doing the job correctly, is all in good order. But the question is, to what extent? For instance, I could make the argument that a physician should have to retake the USMLE Step 1 thru 3 every 10 years, b/c I want to be confident that said physician still knows her biochem and pathophys. In other words, you have to get re-licensed from scratch every 10 years (or call it 5 years, or 20, whatever). Why not?! I would prefer a system that didn't require any further testing, but rather reviewed or surveyed the physicians actual work (chart review, review of complaints, etc etc).
If you have hospital privileges, that system exists as well, just not on a national scale.

Hi - all those lucky folks who passed - anyone have medstudy 17 they want to sell? Is there a huge difference between the 16th and 17th edition?
I flunked and did only mksap questions and awesome review board.
Planning to do medstudy and more qbanks and board basics this year. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi - all those lucky folks who passed - anyone have medstudy 17 they want to sell? Is there a huge difference between the 16th and 17th edition?
I flunked and did only mksap questions and awesome review board.
Planning to do medstudy and more qbanks and board basics this year. Any input would be appreciated.
Not sure about medstudy, but I thought Uworld was spot on - some of the hard questions in the qbank represented the challenging questions on the boards. Annotate Uworld in to BB, and review thereafter.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about medstudy, but I thought Uworld was spot on - some of the hard questions in the qbank represented the challenging questions on the boards. Annotate Uworld in to BB, and review thereafter.

Good luck
I just bought Uworld, it is pretty good. They seem to give you a lot of time on the questions (some 2-3 minutes per question), I think that might be too generous.

I've been out of residency for 2.5 years. Scored around 30% on ITE and low 210-230s on steps. My plan is medstudy videos and U World at least twice. Any other suggestions or think that's enough?

I just bought Uworld, it is pretty good. They seem to give you a lot of time on the questions (some 2-3 minutes per question), I think that might be too generous.
Real thing gives you 2 minutes a question (2 hour, 60 question blocks) and the questions are typically shorter than uworld. I don't know anyone who came close to running out of time on it, it's super generous.

Hey all,

I posted this message a few months back, and thought it might be useful for future test takers. I did the following in preparation for the exam

Uworld qbank x 2: 66%, 90%
Mksap qbank 17 x 1: 73%
Medstudy questions: 80%, but only did 25% of q's

Did over 2500 questions in total.

Safely passed with 1 s.d. above mean. First attempt
Didn't do any board review courses.
The test is forgiving as I made at least 15-20 silly mistakes and thought I failed as a result.

Please PM me if any questions.

I am sure somewhere in this thread there is the answer to my question but thought I'd get a fresh answer.
MEDSTUDY VS MKSAP?

I plan on buying 3months of Uworld to take the Exam in August.
I can't seem to decide which one of the above to spend my money on!
Thanks.

I am sure somewhere in this thread there is the answer to my question but thought I'd get a fresh answer.
MEDSTUDY VS MKSAP?

I plan on buying 3months of Uworld to take the Exam in August.
I can't seem to decide which one of the above to spend my money on!
Thanks.
You'll find proponents of both. Flip a coin. Choose based on price (if there's a difference). It probably makes no real difference for the vast majority of people.

Looking for a study group/partner for 2018 abim exam. If you are interested let’s connect and start a scheduled discussion/questions review.

Hi NanaAA -- what resources are you planning on using and what sort of a study timetable have you thought of?

Hi, I am sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it anywhere. What is a safe UWorld average one need to get to pass this exam?

Hi, I am sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it anywhere. What is a safe UWorld average one need to get to pass this exam?
The general rule is 70+ on any of them and you should be fine.

Emphasis on "general" and "should".

anyone have any comments on mksap audio companion? was it useful? thank you!

I'm looking for someone who has taken the ABIM Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine exam. I passed my initial IM boards 9 years ago and I'm going to re certify with this exam.

If anyone has taken this, please give me any feedback. I'm using MKSAP and I find it hard to believe the exam is just going to focus on the blue highlighted sections. Thanks so much!

anyone have any comments on mksap audio companion? was it useful? thank you!

I had a long commute to work so i tried this a few years back. I think they really tried with mksap audio to make it like an engaging radio show... but i still felt sleepy. Didnt work for me!

Hey All,

Taking ABIM this fall. Have online and print MKSAP 17. I know MKSAP 18 comes out this year. Does anyone know when my MKSAP 17 subscription online will stop working?

Thanks!

Taking the recertification exam this month. Just got the email from ABIM stating that 3 of the 4 modules will allow you to use UptoDate during the exam. Wonder if that changes the level of difficulty of the questions.

Last edited:
Taking the recertification exam this month. Just got the email from ABIM stating that 3 of the 4 modules will allow you to use UptoDate during the exam. Wonder if that changes the level of difficulty of the questions.

Something tells me that the answers to most questions are not found in uptodate.

You can take those tests from home though right? Whats to stop people from just using a search engine?

The 10 year is at a testing center with UpToDate access.

So one 15 inch 4:3 screen trying to flip back and forth between the questions and uptodate?

The problem with timed open book tests is they can be a trap. You start looking up everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I know there are several threads out there about study resources for the IM board exam. Most of the ones I have seen focus on question banks and reading materials. I am looking for recommendations for an ONLINE review course for a first time test taker. If anyone has tried them and would recommended one, please share.

Thanks!

So.... do people basically just do MKSAP?

Also, I have MKSAP 17, should I also buy 18? I scored really well on my step exams. I don't know, I just don't want to waste money unless I have to.

Also, I have MKSAP 17, should I also buy 18? I scored really well on my step exams. I don't know, I just don't want to waste money unless I have to.

It’s enough .

All you need to do is pass . High score or not makes no difference at this stage .

However getting highest on the inservice of your class may get you some bragging rights (but won’t get your chief residency persay)

It’s enough .

All you need to do is pass . High score or not makes no difference at this stage .

However getting highest on the inservice of your class may get you some bragging rights (but won’t get your chief residency persay)
I got like 50th percentile on my ITE's, but took them very, very fast and didn't really pay attention or anything. I couldn't care less about performing well. Just want to pass.

So MKSAP 17 is good enough? And can I just do the questions alone?

It’s enough .

We fell for this before "Just pass in medical school" until the dean letter put our grades on it. Does doing well on these inservice and other board certifying exams go on our PD letters or affect our fellowship matching outcomes in anyway?

I did both 16 and 17, but it was probably overkill.

Also, if your test is this year, the second half of 18 wont be out until January.

I did both 16 and 17, but it was probably overkill.

Also, if your test is this year, the second half of 18 wont be out until January.

Just saw this on their site. What do they mean by Part B? Like the other half of the topics?

Yes. ~6 books and half the questions come out in July. The other ~6 books and half the questions come out in January.
My test is in August. That’s a great point... probably just a waste of money to get half of 18 for how much it costs

We fell for this before "Just pass in medical school" until the dean letter put our grades on it. Does doing well on these inservice and other board certifying exams go on our PD letters or affect our fellowship matching outcomes in anyway?
It’s not supposed to. My PD told us straight up it’s not allowed to be used in that way and I trust him. It didn’t stop me from matching either.

Been a while, but I remember you did too. Ha!

I’m just using 17.
Ya that's what I'm going to do. I'm not doing very well on random questions. This is so boring.

Ya that's what I'm going to do. I'm not doing very well on random questions. This is so boring.
Then don't do random questions.

Assuming you're using the online version, pick a subject, make a 30 question timed test and do it.
Score >80%? You're done with that subject. Seriously, don't waste any more time on it.
Score <70%? You're doing every single question in that subject, maybe twice.
70-80%? Circle back around to that stuff once you're done with the <70% subjects.
And read the answers to every single question you do, even the ones you know cold.

The 10 year is at a testing center with UpToDate access.

Is this for the General Internal Medicine MOC? I don't think the Hospital Medicine exam has Up to Date on it. Do you know??

I think hospital focused had uptodate also.
I took the hospitalist MOC exam on Monday. No up to date link just in case anyone was wondering. I wasn’t planning on it being there but it is supposed to be on general IM for sure