*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yea that fixed it thanks!

also for the transcript request form, for the dates of attendance of the college, is it supposed to be the date you started and the date you will graduate? or the end date is when you last finished/ended the semester of classes???

I'd recommend using the date you started to the date you will graduate. They're not being hyper-technical here.
 
So I'm very confused on this.

Do I put the Official Name that comes up on the transcript or the name that appeared in the Course Guide? I'm not sure because for example saying I took Chem 150 "G Chem&R Princ" is the name on the transcript...but the course guide says the official name is General Chemistry: Macroscopic Investigations and Reaction Principles

Which do I do?

Transcript, always the transcript. AMCAS data bunnies won't be looking at your school catalog, just your transcript.

This is a very common question that has been answered recently on the AMCAS questions thread. Please search that thread first for any questions you might have regarding completing the AMCAS application; if you still have questions, then please post your question in that thread.
Merging with the AMCAS Questions Thread.
 
Okay, so if I submit AMCAS primary application on June 1st, June 7th, or June 14th, do I get the secondary on the same day in early July??? Because what's the point of rushing to submit right now if I can submit later in June...

Also do schools even screen for GPA/MCAT because a lot of the schools I called said everyone thats verified for primary gets a secondary=cash for them...

I'm super nervous, scared, not done, stressed and pretty much a mess right now...someone help and share some advice...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been debating over whether or not I should submit my primary application asap or wait until a summer course ends in late July. I currently have a 3.488 cGPA and a 3.8 BCPM. Is it worth delaying my application 2 months just so that I apply with a 3.5? I am also taking the mcat in late July.

I appreciate any input 😀
 
do most MD schools screen for minimum subsection scores or composite scores? like 24 composite with 7 minimum was one school I called....
 
I've been working on the course work section of the app. The dates don't match up with the classes and I've tried to fix this many times. Any ideas? Is it really that important to make sure that the year matches with the class since they have my transcript?

For example: If i took art in fall of 2008 and bio in spring of 2009, this is how it will show up on AMCAS...

2008 S1 Art
2008 S2 Bio

Doesn't even make sense
 
I'm on the quarter system, so I won't get my grades until mid-June. My gpa will move from 3.71 to 3.73 following this quarter. Do you think a 0.02 jump is worth the wait?
 
This shouldn't even be a question -- of course wait a day. AMCAS doesn't release the information till probably mid/late June and I read somewhere that it was June 13 or 17 this year. Regardless of whether you submit it June 1 or June 10th, it won't make a difference of when adcoms start reading it and start sending out requests for interviews over the next few months.
 
I've been debating over whether or not I should submit my primary application asap or wait until a summer course ends in late July. I currently have a 3.488 cGPA and a 3.8 BCPM. Is it worth delaying my application 2 months just so that I apply with a 3.5? I am also taking the mcat in late July.

I appreciate any input 😀

If this is your first MCAT sitting, I'd wait for your summer grades. My understanding is a majority of schools won't start to consider your application until at least your numbers are in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question - my parents are doctors - the only option is physician, surgeons, should I put that?

Yes.

I'm on the quarter system, so I won't get my grades until mid-June. My gpa will move from 3.71 to 3.73 following this quarter. Do you think a 0.02 jump is worth the wait?

*shrug* Your call. I don't personally think submitting in late June is problematic, but nor is the increase you're talking about necessarily that large (in my opinion). Getting in on the early track may be more beneficial.
 
I have about 10 shadowing hours as of today, an additional 10 scheduled for next week and could schedule 30-40 out through the end of this month (more through the end of the summer). Is it okay to include projected hours on my AMCAS as "scheduled" if I have already booked them with the physician? Or should I wait until July to submit my AMCAS so I have an adequate amount of shadowing already completed?
 
I've been working on the course work section of the app. The dates don't match up with the classes and I've tried to fix this many times. Any ideas? Is it really that important to make sure that the year matches with the class since they have my transcript?

For example: If i took art in fall of 2008 and bio in spring of 2009, this is how it will show up on AMCAS...

2008 S1 Art
2008 S2 Bio

Doesn't even make sense

Not a mistake. Also checked on my old application and this is correct.

If you want, think of "year" as meaning "academic year beginning in 20xx." Also, were you to sort first by year and then by term, "2009 S2" for a 2008-2009 spring semester would come after "2009 S1" for a 2009-2010 fall semester, which doesn't make sense.
 
Last edited:
I have about 10 shadowing hours as of today, an additional 10 scheduled for next week and could schedule 30-40 out through the end of this month (more through the end of the summer). Is it okay to include projected hours on my AMCAS as "scheduled" if I have already booked them with the physician? Or should I wait until July to submit my AMCAS so I have an adequate amount of shadowing already completed?

This question is probably more appropriate for the Work and Activities thread, but my two cents is that you would indicate additional hours in the future in the description section. I don't see a benefit to waiting until July just so you can flesh this section out; you should be able to describe your activity in some small level of detail with the hours you have so far.
 
I got an masters degree from the London School of Economics, but the AMCAS application specifies that only transcripts from US/Candadian schools should be sent. I think I will just send it anyway, but the grades are in the British format (fail, pass, merit, distinction) not US (A-F). Any suggestions?
 
I got an masters degree from the London School of Economics, but the AMCAS application specifies that only transcripts from US/Candadian schools should be sent. I think I will just send it anyway, but the grades are in the British format (fail, pass, merit, distinction) not US (A-F). Any suggestions?

I assume none of your classes at LSE were med school prereqs, correct? If so, I wouldn't bother to list it. If you are listing your classes at LSE, then I would stick to what the instruction manual says (bolded bullet points my emphasis):

Independent Attendance, Credits Not Transferred

Courses (other than M.D. course work) attempted independently at a foreign institution are not required to be listed if credit has not been transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution EXCEPT to meet medical school prerequisites unduplicated by other listed course work.

If you include this course work on your application:

  • Include the foreign institution in Schools Attended.
  • Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution.
  • Do not send foreign transcripts or certificates to AMCAS.
  • Provide all required course data except credit hours attempted and grades.
AMCAS does not accept transcripts from international evaluation services.

The course work will not be verified by AMCAS and will not be included in your AMCAS GPAs.

Note: Although foreign transcripts are never required for the primary (AMCAS) application, individual medical schools may request the transcripts to complete secondary applications. You should check with your intended medical schools about their requirements and, if necessary, request foreign transcripts as soon as possible.
 
(1) where does "urban regional planning course" belong?
special studies? other?

(2) where does research credits belong? natural/physical science or other?

(3) where does "intro to profession in medicine" belong? The course is part of "medicine" in category.

(4) does "physiology" belong to natural science or biology?
 
Last edited:
I just want to make sure.. I will be getting an MBS at TCMC for the class of 2012. AMCAS has the option for postbac undergraduate or graduate? The "undergraduate" part is throwing me off on which one to select.

Also. It's a 1 year program. Should I include the full year of future classes I will be taking or just the first semester which will be starting this Fall?
 
Last edited:
I just want to make sure.. I will be getting an MBS at TCMC for the class of 2012. AMCAS has the option for postbac undergraduate or graduate? The "undergraduate" part is throwing me off on which one to select.

Also. It's a 1 year program. Should I include the full year of future classes I will be taking or just the first semester which will be starting this Fall?

1) Graduate.
2) I would include everything.
 
(1) where does "urban regional planning course" belong?
special studies? other?

(2) where does research credits belong? natural/physical science or other?

(3) where does "intro to profession in medicine" belong? The course is part of "medicine" in category.

(4) does "physiology" belong to natural science or biology?

Using the instruction manual as a guide (page 40):

1) Sounds like "urban policy and planning," which is GOVT.
2) Use the department crediting your research as a guide. Depends.
3) What school/department is offering this course? That is, the instructor teaching the course belongs to which department?
4) BIOL.
 
Do supplemental hours count towards the 90 hours most schools require? Based on the results of my searches, I am leaning towards the affirmative, but I have not been able to find a definite yes or no.
 
Using the instruction manual as a guide (page 40):

1) Sounds like "urban policy and planning," which is GOVT.
2) Use the department crediting your research as a guide. Depends.
3) What school/department is offering this course? That is, the instructor teaching the course belongs to which department?
4) BIOL.

First of all thank you for your answers!!!

(2) College of Medicine Pharmacology
(3) Again, College of Medicine.....

So natural/physical science?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you!
Do HEALs count toward BCPM? Because I am trying to make my research credits to count toward BCPM.

No, only biology, chemistry, physics, and math count towards BCPM.

The reason why I asked whether your research was in pharmacology was to determine if it was possible to place it in a BCPM-relevant subject area. Can you describe your research?
 
No, only biology, chemistry, physics, and math count towards BCPM.

The reason why I asked whether your research was in pharmacology was to determine if it was possible to place it in a BCPM-relevant subject area. Can you describe your research?

It was a research on carbonic anhydrase. I did extraction, purification, esterase, O18 exchange and stop-flow.

My PI is in [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and is joint with Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Both depts are part of college of medicine.
.
 
Last edited:
It was a research on carbonic anhydrase. I did extraction, purification, esterase, O18 exchange and stop-flow.

My PI is in [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and is joint with Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Both depts are part of college of medicine.
.

I think you can classify your research as BIOL or CHEM, whichever you feel better describes it.
 
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if you guys can please help me out with the following in filling out course content on the amcas:

1) For Community College Courses => so I took these classes during a summer while in high school and also took a couple more the summer right before my freshman, so when I classify these courses do I classify the ones I took while still in high school as "high school level" and then the ones I took right before freshman year of college (have graduated from high school then) as "freshman level". Was just wondering since these courses will be from the same community college but just taken at two different summers.

2) Also in listing colleges/university section, do I just list this community college as a junior college and place a check mark at the summer slot only?

3) Also when we list our courses, should we list it exactly as it appears on our transcript or spell out the abbreviations? Also should we "clarify" like a course name that's misleading, meaning if a class is listed in our transcript as "Princ of social welfare" but the course is actually called "Principles of social welfare delivery"...should I add in the "delivery" part even if it's not on my transcript?

4) Last question haha...sorry, if I'm going to be enrolling in a master's program in another school but will not begin selecting courses until mid august, do I just list the graduate school and then not write in any future classes and not submit a transcript (since I have no grades yet in my master's program)?

Thanks alot guys!...any help will help alot...
 
First, I trust you've read the manual? 🙂

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if you guys can please help me out with the following in filling out course content on the amcas:

1) For Community College Courses => so I took these classes during a summer while in high school and also took a couple more the summer right before my freshman, so when I classify these courses do I classify the ones I took while still in high school as "high school level" and then the ones I took right before freshman year of college (have graduated from high school then) as "freshman level". Was just wondering since these courses will be from the same community college but just taken at two different summers.

To my knowledge, that is correct.

2) Also in listing colleges/university section, do I just list this community college as a junior college and place a check mark at the summer slot only?

That also is correct.

3) Also when we list our courses, should we list it exactly as it appears on our transcript or spell out the abbreviations? Also should we "clarify" like a course name that's misleading, meaning if a class is listed in our transcript as "Princ of social welfare" but the course is actually called "Principles of social welfare delivery"...should I add in the "delivery" part even if it's not on my transcript?

You can't go wrong matching your transcript verbatim, but I entered in the unabbreviated words for my course titles and had no issues.

4) Last question haha...sorry, if I'm going to be enrolling in a master's program in another school but will not begin selecting courses until mid august, do I just list the graduate school and then not write in any future classes and not submit a transcript (since I have no grades yet in my master's program)?

Thanks alot guys!...any help will help alot...

List it and request a transcript exemption, using the rationale "current/future coursework."
 
my unofficial transcript does not show any AP credits, whereas it does show my IB credits in a weird format... im guessing the last column are credits granted...
IB ENGL A1, 05-07 0.0IB DIPL ELEC CR, 05-07 20.0

I guess my question is, will verification be delayed if i dont include any indications of APs on my coursework... if it doesnt show up on my transcript? same goes with IB credits... I'm confused on how to enter the IB stuff... as for some reason the english is separate from the diploma... and i dont know where all the other IB courses I took went... or for the matter, all my APs as well... lol... anyone else have similar experiences?

thank you so much!
 
my unofficial transcript does not show any AP credits, whereas it does show my IB credits in a weird format... im guessing the last column are credits granted...
IB ENGL A1, 05-07 0.0IB DIPL ELEC CR, 05-07 20.0

I guess my question is, will verification be delayed if i dont include any indications of APs on my coursework... if it doesnt show up on my transcript? same goes with IB credits... I'm confused on how to enter the IB stuff... as for some reason the english is separate from the diploma... and i dont know where all the other IB courses I took went... or for the matter, all my APs as well... lol... anyone else have similar experiences?

thank you so much!
Did you read the AMCAS instruction manual? It's designed and written for applicants to read it, and it would answer many of your questions.

You should probably request an official copy of your transcript so you KNOW what AMCAS is going to look at
 
In my AMCAS (which has been processed, it says)

Status: AMCAS Processing is Complete

Definition: Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.


Is that true or is that an incorrect statement? I thought applications are sent June 15th to schools? Does it matter that I'm doing early decision?
 
Status: AMCAS Processing is Complete

Definition: Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.


Is that true or is that an incorrect statement? I thought applications are sent June 15th to schools? Does it matter that I'm doing early decision?
Mine says that also, and I didn't apply EDP. I think it's just a mistake... It would be true at most points in the application cycle, just not this super-duper early.
 
In my AMCAS (which has been processed, it says)

Status: AMCAS Processing is Complete

Definition: Application has been made available to the designated medical schools.


Is that true or is that an incorrect statement? I thought applications are sent June 15th to schools? Does it matter that I'm doing early decision?
Sounds like the application just tells you that message when they've finished processing, since you are right.
It's June 17 btw
 
I am taking a CNA course this June and I don't quite know where to put it on the application. Do I need to fill it out as class and get a transcript submitted? I was hoping to submit the application as soon as my MCAT scores get back, so if I wait for the CNA transcript to get finished and sent in it'll put me back 1-2 weeks. I was originally planning on putting it in my activities but I don't want to get penalized if that is the wrong spot for it. If I designate it as a current course, do I still need a transcript? Seems silly to submit a transcript with one course and no grade.

Where should I put it?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I have taken a bunch of lecture + lab courses at my university and the labs show up as 0 unit courses with no grade while the lectures show up as 4~ unit courses with a grade (e.g. Chem-405, 4 units. Chem-405L, 0 units). How should I list them under the course work category of my AMCAS app?

Thanks!
 
Hey everyone,

I have taken a bunch of lecture + lab courses at my university and the labs show up as 0 unit courses with no grade while the lectures show up as 4~ unit courses with a grade (e.g. Chem-405, 4 units. Chem-405L, 0 units). How should I list them under the course work category of my AMCAS app?

Thanks!

Exactly as they're listed on your transcript.
 
I am taking a CNA course this June and I don't quite know where to put it on the application. Do I need to fill it out as class and get a transcript submitted? I was hoping to submit the application as soon as my MCAT scores get back, so if I wait for the CNA transcript to get finished and sent in it'll put me back 1-2 weeks. I was originally planning on putting it in my activities but I don't want to get penalized if that is the wrong spot for it. If I designate it as a current course, do I still need a transcript? Seems silly to submit a transcript with one course and no grade.

Where should I put it?
Thanks

No.

It's up to you if you want to include it or not. Maybe schools might see your taking a CNA class as positive, or maybe they'll ignore it. Either way, it won't hold up your application as a current/future class.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.