*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few classes that were completely neuroscience (intro to neuroscience and psychopharmacology) but the department listed is psych, so the course number is PSY 100 etc. I would like to count these as biology but I don't want this to cause any sort of delay or having my application returned to me. Any thoughts?
 
I have a quick question about this section of the AMCAS app. Their formatting is a lot less flexible than I was anticipating. For instance, I volunteered at a local hospital for multiple summers and over a winter break. The hours varied from 3 hours per week to 30.

Should I enter the same activity multiple times to account for the various dates? This seems like a waste of activity slots.

Should I average the hours by just dividing the number of weeks by my total hours? That doesn't seem really representative of reality, but I'm not sure what else to do...

Bonus Question! Same deal for shadowing. I've shadowed about 10 doctors at various dates from the beginning of sophomore year to the present (summer before senior year). Should the date be May 2009 to present? Each shadowing experience was about 8 hours long, but I can hardly put 8 hours/week... that would grossly overstate the total hours.

I'm sorry if this sounds like I need my hand held, but I'm finding the format of this section completely unintuitive. This could have easily been solved by allowing the entry of multiple date ranges and asking for total hours rather than hours/week.

Thanks,
Tazriel
 
I absolutely hate this question...I don't see the relevance of it at all (unless you apply for disadvantaged status, which is different).

For almost all of the questions like that, I just chose "decline to answer."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few classes that were completely neuroscience (intro to neuroscience and psychopharmacology) but the department listed is psych, so the course number is PSY 100 etc. I would like to count these as biology but I don't want this to cause any sort of delay or having my application returned to me. Any thoughts?

If you truly feel the primary content is biology, then mark them as such. Just be prepared to justify it (URL to a course description) if AMCAS changes it and you wish to appeal. Get your app in early to mitigate any processing delays.
 
Quick question...

I'm not sure where my mom went to school, but she's a business owner. Would it look bad if I just put the information for my dad? I mean... do they really care about this that much?? My mom's out of the country right now so I can't contact her until later this month.


Sorry for the repost, can anyone please answer this? I want to submit my app today.
 
Quick question...

I'm not sure where my mom went to school, but she's a business owner. Would it look bad if I just put the information for my dad? I mean... do they really care about this that much?? My mom's out of the country right now so I can't contact her until later this month.

Is there a reason you may not be able to get this information from your father?
 
Quick question...

I'm not sure where my mom went to school, but she's a business owner. Would it look bad if I just put the information for my dad? I mean... do they really care about this that much?? My mom's out of the country right now so I can't contact her until later this month.

I asked AMCAS today if only listing one parent was fine and they said yes. However, if asked why I only listed one I would have an explanation (though I doubt anyone along the process would ever ask). I wouldn't sweat it too much.
 
I have a few classes that were completely neuroscience (intro to neuroscience and psychopharmacology) but the department listed is psych, so the course number is PSY 100 etc. I would like to count these as biology but I don't want this to cause any sort of delay or having my application returned to me. Any thoughts?

"Intro to Neuroscience and Psycopharmacology"...yeah, they won't contest that not being Biology.
 
If I submitted my primary to some schools during last year's cycle, but did not submit my secondary at that school (thus, incomplete application), would I still be considered a "reapplicant" for that school this cycle?

Two scenarios: 1) You hit "submit" on your AMCAS app last year. Then before it was verified you withdrew your app. Then no, you are not considered a reapplicant for any schools. 2) You hit "submit" on your AMCAS app last year. AMCAS verified your app and sent it to schools. Then yes, I believe you are considered a reapplicant for the schools you listed last year.
 
I just wanted to double check about the year and term. I entered that I took a class in the spring semester of 2010. So on AMCAS, it shows up as Year:2009 and Term:S2. Other people are seeing that too right?
 
I just wanted to double check about the year and term. I entered that I took a class in the spring semester of 2010. So on AMCAS, it shows up as Year:2009 and Term:S2. Other people are seeing that too right?
Nope, but if you post your username and password, all of us can look at your app:meanie:

On a more serious note, did you read the instruction manual? It's helpful to read the instruction manual when you have questions about something. That way, you won't get flamed on an internet forum. I just checked, and page 37 answers your question perfectly
 
Nope, but if you post your username and password, all of us can look at your app:meanie:

On a more serious note, did you read the instruction manual? It's helpful to read the instruction manual when you have questions about something. That way, you won't get flamed on an internet forum. I just checked, and page 37 answers your question perfectly

Thanks for your snarky reply. Yes I did read the instruction manual. No it's not answering my question. What I'm saying is that I enter in my class as Year 2009-2010, Spring Semester. But when I look at the printed version of my AMCAS, it says Year:2009 and Term:S2. It's just weird to me that even though I took it in Spring of 2010, it doesn't say 2010.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your snarky reply. Yes I did read the instruction manual. No it's not answering my question. What I'm saying is that I enter in my class as Year 2009-2010, Spring Semester. But when I look at the printed version of my AMCAS, it says Year:2009 and Term:S2. It's just weird to me that even though I took it in Spring of 2010, it doesn't say 2010.
You're welcome for the snarky reply. Did you read the page I referenced you to? Did you read it carefully? :nono:

What about the part answering your question? It's still on page 37, available for your reading pleasure

These fields show the academic year and term during which you took the course. The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring.
Your class was taken in spring of 2010. AKA AMCAS year 2009.

It may be weird, but it's AMCAS, and they explain it in their instruction manual. The answer to your question is that 2009 is the correct year for your application to show.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your snarky reply. Yes I did read the instruction manual. No it's not answering my question. What I'm saying is that I enter in my class as Year 2009-2010, Spring Semester. But when I look at the printed version of my AMCAS, it says Year:2009 and Term:S2. It's just weird to me that even though I took it in Spring of 2010, it doesn't say 2010.

This seems to be a common question. If the manual doesn't sufficiently explain it, please see my rationale below.

I've been working on the course work section of the app. The dates don't match up with the classes and I've tried to fix this many times. Any ideas? Is it really that important to make sure that the year matches with the class since they have my transcript?

For example: If i took art in fall of 2008 and bio in spring of 2009, this is how it will show up on AMCAS...

2008 S1 Art
2008 S2 Bio

Doesn't even make sense
Not a mistake. Also checked on my old application and this is correct.

If you want, think of "year" as meaning "academic year beginning in 20xx." Also, were you to sort first by year and then by term, "2009 S2" for a 2008-2009 spring semester would come after "2009 S1" for a 2009-2010 fall semester, which doesn't make sense.
 
hey another quesiton. how do we add future courses, just in course work and leave grade blank? and also, if the future courses do not show up on the transcript should we still include it in the course work??
 
I'm a bit confused on how I should classify each of my semesters. I came in with 28 AP credits, took 33 credits my first year (17, 16), took 33 credits my second year (17, 16), took 28 credits my third year (15, 13), and took 20 credits my fourth year (17, 3).

Since the instruction manual states I shouldn't split up an individual semester, I can see two methods of classifying these semesters:

1) My 28 AP credits constitute my FR year, and my SO, JR, and SR years have 33, 33, and 48 credits, respectively.

2) My 28 AP credits and first semester (17) constitute my FR year - a total of 45 credits - and my SO, JR, and SR years have 33, 31, and 33 credits, respectively.

Which is the best route? Either way, I won't be able to stick to the 27-35 credit hours AMCAS advises for each year. With the first way, my first year is only made of AP credits, which seems a bit weird, and my SR year has 48 credits. With the second way, my first year has 45 credits.

Thanks in advance for the help!
 
hey another quesiton. how do we add future courses, just in course work and leave grade blank? and also, if the future courses do not show up on the transcript should we still include it in the course work??

You would list them the same as with any other course, except designating the "Current/Future" course type and leaving the grade blank. Please see below for my previously-posted opinion on whether to enter current/future courses.

I think it's a good idea to list current and future classes in your application so that reviewers have a sense for what your course load will be like. You don't want to look like you're doing nothing, after all. 🙂

Courses marked as "current/future" on your application do not need to appear on transcripts, nor do you need to submit grades for them. They will obviously therefore not factor into your GPA.
 
hey another quesiton. how do we add future courses, just in course work and leave grade blank? and also, if the future courses do not show up on the transcript should we still include it in the course work??
lol I'm surprised my "snarky" answers haven't prevented anyone yet from posting questions like this.

There seems to be a lot of resistance to reading the instruction manual.

Page 42 answers both of your questions

Current/Future
Use this Special Course Type designation for any courses you are currently taking or expect to take before entering medical school. Listing these courses is especially important if you have not yet completed medical school prerequisites. No AMCAS grade will be assigned.
These entries are not binding or required, but are intended to give the medical schools an indication of what courses you expect to complete before matriculation. Current/Future courses do not have to appear on a transcript to be entered in Course Work. AMCAS will not add, remove, or modify Current/Future courses after the application is submitted. If this information changes, please contact the medical school(s) directly.
If current/future grades are entered on the application, but not listed on the official transcript at the time of verification, they will not be included in the AMCAS GPAs. Conversely, if grades are not entered by the applicant, but at the time of verification appear on the official transcript on file at AMCAS, they will be included in the AMCAS GPAs.
 
I'm a bit confused on how I should classify each of my semesters. I came in with 28 AP credits, took 33 credits my first year (17, 16), took 33 credits my second year (17, 16), took 28 credits my third year (15, 13), and took 20 credits my fourth year (17, 3).

Since the instruction manual states I shouldn't split up an individual semester, I can see two methods of classifying these semesters:

1) My 28 AP credits constitute my FR year, and my SO, JR, and SR years have 33, 33, and 48 credits, respectively.

2) My 28 AP credits and first semester (17) constitute my FR year - a total of 45 credits - and my SO, JR, and SR years have 33, 31, and 33 credits, respectively.

Which is the best route? Either way, I won't be able to stick to the 27-35 credit hours AMCAS advises for each year. With the first way, my first year is only made of AP credits, which seems a bit weird, and my SR year has 48 credits. With the second way, my first year has 45 credits.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Based on the table on page 37 of the instruction manual, it seems that overloading one's senior year status is preferred rather than any other year. I would recommend the first option you listed.
 
thanks a ton mauberley!

also another question. for a class with lab included, but like on the transcript just says "general biology I", how do you write it in the course name? do you put "general biology I and lab" and check the "combined lecture and lab"? or do you just put "general biology I" and check the "combined lecture and lab"?
 
lol I'm surprised my "snarky" answers haven't prevented anyone yet from posting questions like this.

There seems to be a lot of resistance to reading the instruction manual.

Page 42 answers both of your questions

well WHY DON'T YOU MARRY THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL if you like it so much.
 
thanks a ton mauberley!

also another question. for a class with lab included, but like on the transcript just says "general biology I", how do you write it in the course name? do you put "general biology I and lab" and check the "combined lecture and lab"? or do you just put "general biology I" and check the "combined lecture and lab"?

"General biology I and lab" and check the "combined" box, as you said. (Although, I goofed on my app and didn't put the "and lab" part; I called up AMCAS and they said it wouldn't matter and I shouldn't worry about it.)
 
"General biology I and lab" and check the "combined" box, as you said. (Although, I goofed on my app and didn't put the "and lab" part; I called up AMCAS and they said it wouldn't matter and I shouldn't worry about it.)

great thanks!

you should write a book on all this, im sure it would save a lot of people time and energy! lol 😎
 
Hi. Two quick questions:

1. I am a Canadian applicant and some of my courses in undergraduate had tutorials but no practicals. For these courses, should I check the box labelled "both course and lab work". I am thinking the answer is NO because most tutorials involved no actual experimental or bench work.

2. Similar to question above, one of my computer science course had tutorials - but this time in tutorials we had to finish assignments (e.g., create a program to do a specific task) and we were graded. Can I put this as "both course and lab work"? Or does lab work strictly means biology/chem/physics labs.

Thanks for answering!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more Current/Future question, sorry!

The AMCAS Online tutorial suggests not to include the Credit Hours for classes you've listed as Current/Future. However, the reason I am even including these classes is to tell certain schools (USC, UMich, Hopkins, etc), that I will be fulfilling their humanities requirement since I don't have enough non-science without it.

Should I include credit-hours in this case, or does it not matter? This isn't a problem with UMich since they say 6 semesters of courses, but I think it might be with the other schools.

Side note - Do you think CC courses in HS which transferred credits could count toward these?

Thanks!
 
I already mailed my transcript during second week of May. Now, one course got an updated mark. I still have not SUBMITTED my transcript.

1. Do I add the updated mark on AMCAS?
2. Should I re-mail the transcript?

Thanks for answering!!!
 
I figured this would be the best place to post my question. I was wondering when to submit, and needed some advice. I have two scenarios. MCAT is on July 16th

1) Submit with all schools I will apply to in the next few days. Do secondaries and submit them after exam July 16th. Be complete when MCAT score comes in August 16th

2) Submit app with ONE school now, just to get verified. Pre-write secondaries after MCAT. Once I get the score August 16th, select rest of the schools and submit primary to them. Hopefully get the secondaries by end of August, and have a 20 minute turnaround since all essays will be done. Complete end August/beginning of September.

What do you guys think? I want to do the first, but I know the second is safer and I don't want to be out $5000. Will the two week difference matter? I know schools start sending interview invites in August for Sep-Nov, and I would be at a disadvantage in scheduling.
 
Hey all,

I received 40 unit credits upon entrance to my college from my AP's. So on my transcript, next to my first semester of grades, it says Class Level: Sophomore.

So for my coursework, do I input my status as "Sophomore" for my freshman classes, "Junior" for my soph classes, and "Senior" for my junior classes, accordingly with my transcript? Thanks everyone!
 
Hey all,

I received 40 unit credits upon entrance to my college from my AP's. So on my transcript, next to my first semester of grades, it says Class Level: Sophomore.

So for my coursework, do I input my status as "Sophomore" for my freshman classes, "Junior" for my soph classes, and "Senior" for my junior classes, accordingly with my transcript? Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure APs go in as freshman level.
 
Hey all,

I received 40 unit credits upon entrance to my college from my AP's. So on my transcript, next to my first semester of grades, it says Class Level: Sophomore.

So for my coursework, do I input my status as "Sophomore" for my freshman classes, "Junior" for my soph classes, and "Senior" for my junior classes, accordingly with my transcript? Thanks everyone!

Using the 27-35 credits per status rule of thumb in the AMCAS instruction manual, then yes, your Freshman Year in School status comprises all of your AP credits. Everything subsequent to that would be Sophomore, Junior, and Senior.
 
Hi. Two quick questions:

1. I am a Canadian applicant and some of my courses in undergraduate had tutorials but no practicals. For these courses, should I check the box labelled "both course and lab work". I am thinking the answer is NO because most tutorials involved no actual experimental or bench work.

2. Similar to question above, one of my computer science course had tutorials - but this time in tutorials we had to finish assignments (e.g., create a program to do a specific task) and we were graded. Can I put this as "both course and lab work"? Or does lab work strictly means biology/chem/physics labs.

Thanks for answering!!!

1) If you weren't in a lab doing experiments, I would probably refrain from indicating it as including a lab component.

2) I think "lab" means the typical science labs that involve conducting experiments. As an example, we had "lab" classes for my engineering major that involved making things. I did not consider those to be lab classes for the purpose of my application.

One more Current/Future question, sorry!

The AMCAS Online tutorial suggests not to include the Credit Hours for classes you've listed as Current/Future. However, the reason I am even including these classes is to tell certain schools (USC, UMich, Hopkins, etc), that I will be fulfilling their humanities requirement since I don't have enough non-science without it.

Should I include credit-hours in this case, or does it not matter? This isn't a problem with UMich since they say 6 semesters of courses, but I think it might be with the other schools.

Side note - Do you think CC courses in HS which transferred credits could count toward these?

Thanks!

I don't think it really matters, honestly. I included credit hours for my current/future courses; they don't get verified anyway. I think you have a perfectly valid reason for wanting to include them, so include away.

As for your side note, I would think they would count.

I already mailed my transcript during second week of May. Now, one course got an updated mark. I still have not SUBMITTED my transcript.

1. Do I add the updated mark on AMCAS?
2. Should I re-mail the transcript?

Thanks for answering!!!

If you haven't submitted your application, you should be able to change it. I would have your school re-send the transcript. It may not seem like a big deal, but after you have been accepted, schools ask for final transcripts. It would be better not to have any discrepancies between what you applied with (even though AMCAS gave the thumbs-up with your uncorrected grade) and what you send, since you have the chance to correct this early on.

I figured this would be the best place to post my question. I was wondering when to submit, and needed some advice. I have two scenarios. MCAT is on July 16th

1) Submit with all schools I will apply to in the next few days. Do secondaries and submit them after exam July 16th. Be complete when MCAT score comes in August 16th

2) Submit app with ONE school now, just to get verified. Pre-write secondaries after MCAT. Once I get the score August 16th, select rest of the schools and submit primary to them. Hopefully get the secondaries by end of August, and have a 20 minute turnaround since all essays will be done. Complete end August/beginning of September.

What do you guys think? I want to do the first, but I know the second is safer and I don't want to be out $5000. Will the two week difference matter? I know schools start sending interview invites in August for Sep-Nov, and I would be at a disadvantage in scheduling.

How confident are you that your MCAT score will be competitive at the schools you are applying to? If you're confident, I see no reason not to go with your first option. And if your actual score ended up being less than expected, would you still go ahead and apply to those schools anyway? If so, then go with your first option.
 
Thanks for the previous answers.

One more quick question:

I have two co-op work-terms on my transcript. They have a grade as "CR" and Weight as "0.00". I have put down exactly as it appears on my transcript on the AMCAS application.

My question is, should I tick any of the special course types? I was thinking putting a check mark on "Pass/Fail"? Because I think for co-op work term we get Credit/No Credit.

Thanks for answering!!!
 
Thanks for the previous answers.

One more quick question:

I have two co-op work-terms on my transcript. They have a grade as "CR" and Weight as "0.00". I have put down exactly as it appears on my transcript on the AMCAS application.

My question is, should I tick any of the special course types? I was thinking putting a check mark on "Pass/Fail"? Because I think for co-op work term we get Credit/No Credit.

Thanks for answering!!!

If it is true that you only get Credit/No Credit, then yes, Pass/Fail is a valid special course type to select.
 
Using the 27-35 credits per status rule of thumb in the AMCAS instruction manual, then yes, your Freshman Year in School status comprises all of your AP credits. Everything subsequent to that would be Sophomore, Junior, and Senior.

I thought that rule was a guide for those applicants who have not been in school for awhile. I have 30 credits from AP scores and simply combined them with my freshman 1st semester courses (as they were awarded in my freshman year)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you worked for 1 year and then didnt work the next and then worked again the year (at a different company) after, how would you list it on the amcas app? as one entry, and do start date of first til present and just specify in the description or have 2 entries?
 
also if you have a publication, but did it thru research, did you put it under research and put it in the description or have one entry for research and one for publication.

and if i have 2 different research things, in 2 diff locations and 2 separate times, do i create 2 entries for that too?
 
if you worked for 1 year and then didnt work the next and then worked again the year (at a different company) after, how would you list it on the amcas app? as one entry, and do start date of first til present and just specify in the description or have 2 entries?

Search the Tips for Entering Work and Activities thread, as similar questions should have already been answered. If you still need guidance, post your question there and Catalystik should be able to help. (Same for your second question.)
 
I've read the AMCAS instructions manual and even called AMCAS but they still are not clear about this....I have like 41 credit hours with AP and IB classes...they are listed on my transcript, all with grades of "P" (I'm assuming that means pass)...however only about 5 of the classes were counted as credit toward my biochem degree for my college since I retook some of the pre-reqs and already had enough hours...so do I add all these AP/IB courses to my app, or just the ones where credit went toward my degree? there is an "exempt" option on the app where you can list the course but you don't enter the number of credits since you didn't get any...is this what I would do? thanks for any help!
 
I thought that rule was a guide for those applicants who have not been in school for awhile. I have 30 credits from AP scores and simply combined them with my freshman 1st semester courses (as they were awarded in my freshman year)

Page 37 of the instruction manual:

Year in School

The guidelines below will help you determine your Year in School for AMCAS. Note that AMCAS is not responsible for any delays in processing and/or incorrect GPA calculations that might result from incorrect Year in School assignments. If the Year in School selected greatly exceeds the ranges specified below, AMCAS may reassign statuses.

Each undergraduate status should consist of approximately 27-35 semester hours. Applicants with undergraduate, full-time, continuous enrollment at an institution should usually change their Year in School after every 2 semesters, 3-4 quarters, or 2-3 trimesters.
There is no qualifier around when the 27-35 rule of thumb applies.

The table provided, however, is useful for those who have had interrupted attendance:

Applicants who have been enrolled part-time, or who have had interrupted attendance, should use these ranges to determine their appropriate status for each term:

High School (HS)
College-level course work taken while in high school
Freshman (FR)
0-32 semester hours
Sophomore (SO)
31-64 semester hours
Junior (JR)
61-96 semester hours
Senior (SR)
91 or more semester hours
 
Status
Not open for further replies.