*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what do you put as your grade in the course work section if the class is currently in progress? Thanks!
 
Exactly as they're listed on your transcript.

I am wondering about the lab/lecture designation which isn't really on the transcript. I guess I could designate each coarse as either lecture or lab but having the lab without any units may look weird.
 
Last edited:
what would a student-led course teaching PREMED 101 (what the process is like and what to expect in medical school) be classified as? Education or Others??

and would nutritional science be classified as health science or biological science? lol

and does that mean for PE-volleyball would not be EDU but rather OTHERS?

How generic does LAB mean? Does it include statistics discussion? Idk, they called it lab, but it was more discussions on certain problems...

what would a course on guest lecturers related to medicine (pediatricians to pathologist careers) be classified as? EDU or OTHERS?

Would Independent Studies (in other words, credit for research) under Public Health be classified as Health or Others?

Sorry for so many q's! loll
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont know what amcas looks like now, but in last year's amcas you could check a box to designate if the class was:
1. Lecture only
2. Lecture with lab
3. Lab only
4. other options, like seminar, independent study, pass/fail, no credit, or whatever...

So if there's that box, check it.
 
Hey guys, I wanted to get some advice on what you think on I should do. I took the May 26 MCAT and am waiting to get back my scores, however, I want to get my app verified so I was planning on choosing 1 school and sending in the app to start the verification process. Which school would you choose if you were me: your number one choice school i.e. my state school or some school you don't really care about too much that way so you still have a shot at succeeding if your scores don't come out as planned i.e. i'll have to retake the mcat. hopefully this makes sense, but i guess i'm just asking which school i should apply to for now: top choice or not too important
 
I am wondering about the lab/lecture designation which isn't really on the transcript. I guess I could designate each coarse as either lecture or lab but having the lab without any units may look weird.

Your guide should be, for the most part, "what is verifiable by looking at my transcript?" Since you have two separate line items for lecture and lab, the lecture would be designated "lecture only" and the lab would be designated "lab only." If you designated the lecture entry as "lecture + lab," then that could be construed as having two lab credits. (Whether or not it actually would be viewed as such is separate matter.) The instruction manual would also imply, though it's not directly stated (I don't have the ability to check what the online help says at the moment), that "lecture + lab" would only be used if you don't have a separate line item in your transcript indicating that you have taken a lab course.
 
Merging into AMCAS questions thread.

Hey everyone,

I have taken a bunch of lecture + lab courses at my university and the labs show up as 0 unit courses with no grade while the lectures show up as 4~ unit courses with a grade (e.g. Chem-405, 4 units. Chem-405L, 0 units). How should I list them under the course work category of my AMCAS app?

Thanks!

Exactly as they're listed on your transcript.

I am wondering about the lab/lecture designation which isn't really on the transcript. I guess I could designate each coarse as either lecture or lab but having the lab without any units may look weird.

I dont know what amcas looks like now, but in last year's amcas you could check a box to designate if the class was:
1. Lecture only
2. Lecture with lab
3. Lab only
4. other options, like seminar, independent study, pass/fail, no credit, or whatever...

So if there's that box, check it.

Your guide should be, for the most part, "what is verifiable by looking at my transcript?" Since you have two separate line items for lecture and lab, the lecture would be designated "lecture only" and the lab would be designated "lab only." If you designated the lecture entry as "lecture + lab," then that could be construed as having two lab credits. (Whether or not it actually would be viewed as such is separate matter.) The instruction manual would also imply, though it's not directly stated (I don't have the ability to check what the online help says at the moment), that "lecture + lab" would only be used if you don't have a separate line item in your transcript indicating that you have taken a lab course.
 
Merging into AMCAS questions thread.

I am taking a CNA course this June and I don't quite know where to put it on the application. Do I need to fill it out as class and get a transcript submitted? I was hoping to submit the application as soon as my MCAT scores get back, so if I wait for the CNA transcript to get finished and sent in it'll put me back 1-2 weeks. I was originally planning on putting it in my activities but I don't want to get penalized if that is the wrong spot for it. If I designate it as a current course, do I still need a transcript? Seems silly to submit a transcript with one course and no grade.

Where should I put it?
Thanks

Future courses; submit the silly transcript

No.

It's up to you if you want to include it or not. Maybe schools might see your taking a CNA class as positive, or maybe they'll ignore it. Either way, it won't hold up your application as a current/future class.

you get a transcript for CNA classes?
 
On the AMCAS site is says they aren't transmitting info to schools until June 17th, however, on my status it says that the info has been submitted to the schools I selected... ummm, which is correct?

Also, AMCAS changed a quarter into a semester, which is incorrect, should I notify them? I'm not sure why they changed it, I had it entered correctly as a quarter and they changed it to a semester....
 
On the AMCAS site is says they aren't transmitting info to schools until June 17th, however, on my status it says that the info has been submitted to the schools I selected... ummm, which is correct?

I would trust that information is not actually being sent until the 17th. It has been suggested that the message is probably a generic message for the "application processing complete" state that would be true at any point after the 17th but just not for the gunner early submitters. 😉

Also, AMCAS changed a quarter into a semester, which is incorrect, should I notify them? I'm not sure why they changed it, I had it entered correctly as a quarter and they changed it to a semester....

I would certainly send in an academic change request.
 
I posted this same question on another thread, but realize this might be the more approptiate one to post on.

I know that the AMCAS site was down yesterday for a few hours, however, I have been having difficulty submitting my payment. I have tried several credit cards, all of which are in good standing, but have been unsuccesful. Is there still something wrong with the site, or is it me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I posted this same question on another thread, but realize this might be the more approptiate one to post on.

I know that the AMCAS site was down yesterday for a few hours, however, I have been having difficulty submitting my payment. I have tried several credit cards, all of which are in good standing, but have been unsuccesful. Is there still something wrong with the site, or is it me?

why don't you call AMCAS?
 
Sorry if this is somewhere already-I tried to find it but keep getting pieces of info.

Can you add more schools after hitting submit?
 
I got an email from my school that my transcript was placed in the mail 5/24 at 4:00pm. AMCAS says it's processing transcripts received June 2nd, but mine still hasn't been received!! Is this sort of delay normal or should I send my transcript again?
 
I got an email from my school that my transcript was placed in the mail 5/24 at 4:00pm. AMCAS says it's processing transcripts received June 2nd, but mine still hasn't been received!! Is this sort of delay normal or should I send my transcript again?

it's not just you. my transcript was mailed out on the 23rd and still nothing. 🙂
 
it's not just you. my transcript was mailed out on the 23rd and still nothing. 🙂

ok that's good to hear! Also I called them and they said they're processing "other things" recieved the 2nd, but are still on transcripts received the 27th.
 
Hey guys, I've tried to find an answer to my question by searching the forum; however, I have yet to do so. I took the May MCAT and I am now working on my AMCAS. I want to get my coursework verified ASAP so I am planning to add at least one school to my application to start the verification process. My question is, do I choose this school to be my number one choice or a school that I wouldn't mind attending, but is not at the top of my list. I ask this because I don't understand how the process works if say I get my scores back at the end of June and decide I need to retake (I hope I don't!). Does that one medical school I already added already make their decision based on my May MCAT scores aka will it be too late for me to check the box and say hey wait! i am going to try again. Thanks for your help in advance!😀
 
Quote: Originally Posted by FortuneCookie
it's because I'm sending 3 separate transcripts from 3 universities (due to summer courses + studying abroad programs) ... and I'm sending them from Canada to US. That's why it's pricey.

I'm aware of the transcript deadline on the AMCAS FAQ website ... but how will AMCAS "verify" things when my transcripts didn't even arrive...?


damn, and I was unhappy with my old school requiring 14 bucks to send my transcripts. Hope it works out.

Just want to update you guys on what happened ... so the transcripts arrived at AMCAS yesterday - all 3 of them and I got a receipt email from AMCAS. Int'l regular mail took about a week, which is pretty good in my books 🙂
 
If I submitted my primary to some schools during last year's cycle, but did not submit my secondary at that school (thus, incomplete application), would I still be considered a "reapplicant" for that school this cycle?
 
You can add additional MCAT dates after you have submitted and gotten your application verified. I would say put on your list a school that you would apply to regardless of your MCAT score right now just to get it verified.

According to AMCAS:
"After the initial submission of your application, you may only make changes to the following information:

Required and Alternate IDs.
Name, including Full Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
Contact Information, including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
Alternate Contact Information.
Date of Birth and Sex.
Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent).
Next MCAT testing date.
Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines and restrictions apply).
Release application information to you pre-health advisor"
 
Last edited:
Merging related threads
Hey guys, I've tried to find an answer to my question by searching the forum; however, I have yet to do so. I took the May MCAT and I am now working on my AMCAS. I want to get my coursework verified ASAP so I am planning to add at least one school to my application to start the verification process. My question is, do I choose this school to be my number one choice or a school that I wouldn't mind attending, but is not at the top of my list. I ask this because I don't understand how the process works if say I get my scores back at the end of June and decide I need to retake (I hope I don't!). Does that one medical school I already added already make their decision based on my May MCAT scores aka will it be too late for me to check the box and say hey wait! i am going to try again. Thanks for your help in advance!😀

You can add additional MCAT dates after you have submitted and gotten your application verified. I would say put on your list a school that you would apply to regardless of your MCAT score right now just to get it verified.

According to AMCAS:
"After the initial submission of your application, you may only make changes to the following information:

Required and Alternate IDs.
Name, including Full Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
Contact Information, including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
Alternate Contact Information.
Date of Birth and Sex.
Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent).
Next MCAT testing date.
Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines and restrictions apply).
Release application information to you pre-health advisor"
 
Question:

If you have the choice to classify classes as either graduate or undergraduate, does this make a big difference?

If they can go either way, do you try to pad the uGPA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I submitted my primary to some schools during last year's cycle, but did not submit my secondary at that school (thus, incomplete application), would I still be considered a "reapplicant" for that school this cycle?
Did you read the AMCAS instruction manual? Did you push the "help" button on the top of the "Medical Schools" page on your application?

Both sources would have easily answered your question, so go use them.
 
I have all of my transcripts on interfolio.com but when I try to send them to AMCAS, it asks for the AMCAS Letter ID. I have my LOR ID numbers but I can't find any for my transcripts. Does AMCAS accept transcripts from interfolio.com or so I have to request them from each school again?

Edit: Nevermind I guess you can't
 
Last edited:
So I had my school send my transcripts 5/24 and they said they would send them the next day (5/25) but I still have not heard anything from AMCAS about them. Basically, when should I start to get worried that they are lost?
 
So I had my school send my transcripts 5/24 and they said they would send them the next day (5/25) but I still have not heard anything from AMCAS about them. Basically, when should I start to get worried that they are lost?

My personal data point: I mailed non-rush transcript requests to my schools via first-class mail (max transit time: 2-3 days) and received notification of receipt by AMCAS two weeks later.
 
So I had my school send my transcripts 5/24 and they said they would send them the next day (5/25) but I still have not heard anything from AMCAS about them. Basically, when should I start to get worried that they are lost?

AMCAS said 7-10 business days from the time the school sends it
 
I looked briefly through the threads, but looks like this question wasn't asked/answered well.

For future courses that did NOT start yet (so upcoming Fall), are you able to list "IP" for grade? I initially left it blank, but AMCAS gave me this warning saying that I cannot do that. So right now, I put "FUTURE" for grade, but that doesn't look right.

IP = In Progress
 
I looked briefly through the threads, but looks like this question wasn't asked/answered well.

For future courses that did NOT start yet (so upcoming Fall), are you able to list "IP" for grade? I initially left it blank, but AMCAS gave me this warning saying that I cannot do that. So right now, I put "FUTURE" for grade, but that doesn't look right.

IP = In Progress

Transcript grade should not be a required field (marked with a red asterisk), so you should be able to leave it blank. On my application last year, I left current/future classes with no grade and had no issues. I would be hesitant to put any sort of entry for that field.
 
Hi guys, I have a question. I graduated a year ago and the fall after I graduated, I took a few education classes. They were not graduate courses, so I'm assuming I should list them as postbaccalaureate undergraduate courses, but I'm unsure of how to go about entering them on AMCAS. I took the courses at a community college, where I also took a couple undergraduate classes while I was at university. Should I create two separate school listings for the community college - one classified as undergraduate and one classified as postbac?
 
Hi guys, I have a question. I graduated a year ago and the fall after I graduated, I took a few education classes. They were not graduate courses, so I'm assuming I should list them as postbaccalaureate undergraduate courses, but I'm unsure of how to go about entering them on AMCAS. I took the courses at a community college, where I also took a couple undergraduate classes while I was at university. Should I create two separate school listings for the community college - one classified as undergraduate and one classified as postbac?

Yes, all of that that sounds reasonable.
 
I am trying to enter a IB history class I took as a senior in high school that I got credit for college in. I was a senior in high school during the 2006-2007 year. When I choose this year in the AMCAS menu and choose class level as high school, the check box for IB becomes inactivated and I am unable to click it. I have to change the year to 2007-2008 (my freshman year in college) and then choose freshman for the box to become activated. Is this the proper way to enter IB classes? I took the class in high school but have to enter freshman in college.
 
I am trying to enter a IB history class I took as a senior in high school that I got credit for college in. I was a senior in high school during the 2006-2007 year. When I choose this year in the AMCAS menu and choose class level as high school, the check box for IB becomes inactivated and I am unable to click it. I have to change the year to 2007-2008 (my freshman year in college) and then choose freshman for the box to become activated. Is this the proper way to enter IB classes? I took the class in high school but have to enter freshman in college.

Page 43 of the manual:

International Baccalaureate (IB)

To claim IB credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. Include IB credit courses only once (indicating IB under Special Course Types), even though IB credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. IB courses can be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit, but cannot be listed under all the institutions that may have awarded credit. IB credit should be entered under the first term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include with freshman (FR) course work.
If the transcript from the college awarding IB credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., IB Credit: English) as the Course Name.

Enter it against the term in which you received credit for the class at your university, not when you took the class in high school. ("High School" Year in School is reserved for actual college-level courses you attempted while still in high school.)
 
for summer courses, if i took it the summer after sophomore year, do i list it as a sophomore or junior for "year in school"?
 
for summer courses, if i took it the summer after sophomore year, do i list it as a sophomore or junior for "year in school"?

I'd list it as junior, assuming that you have been a continuously-enrolled full-time student who will complete your degree in four years without an excess of credits, as summers mark the beginning of an academic year for AMCAS purposes.
 
It's been recommended to group certain activities under one category. For example, if I shadow multiple doctors and list all the experiences under shadowing, how should I put the contact info for all doctors when there is only one space for a contact? What would you recommend that I do?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been recommended to group certain activities under one category. For example, if I shadow multiple doctors and list all the experiences under shadowing, how should I put the contact info for all doctors when there is only one space for a contact? What would you recommend that I do?

This would be a question better suited for the Work and Activities thread. My opinion: if there is a single point of contact that can verify all of your shadowing activities, list that. Otherwise, list the contact information for the doctor that you consider to have had the most important/significant shadowing experience with.
 
Transcript grade should not be a required field (marked with a red asterisk), so you should be able to leave it blank. On my application last year, I left current/future classes with no grade and had no issues. I would be hesitant to put any sort of entry for that field.

It isn't, but it still gave me error. Maybe because I put # of credit hours and not the grade? I'll take off # of credit hours and it should work I think...Thanks!
 
It isn't, but it still gave me error. Maybe because I put # of credit hours and not the grade? I'll take off # of credit hours and it should work I think...Thanks!

If you still have issues, contact AMCAS directly. I tried it with the amcasguest account and it let me get away with it just fine. Also, for my app, I did have credit hours listed but no grade. Good luck!
 
so does anyone know how long it takes to get your application recertified after it's been verified? i only submitted with one school at first and now want to add the rest of my list (it wasn't ready when i submitted). i was planning on doing it within the next week, but all of sudden got panicky and freaked out that it might delay my app...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.