*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so does anyone know how long it takes to get your application recertified after it's been verified? i only submitted with one school at first and now want to add the rest of my list (it wasn't ready when i submitted). i was planning on doing it within the next week, but all of sudden got panicky and freaked out that it might delay my app...

Recertification doesn't involve any re-processing of your app or incur any delays on already-queued actions that I'm aware of. Stop freaking out. 🙂
 
For Current/Future classes:

I currently have all my "completed" classes done from my transcript in AMCAS. For those I wrote them identically as they appear on my official transcript which they have. (Abbreviated Titles)

For current/future courses (senior year), however, I do not know how they would be abbreviated. I figured I would just include the full title as found in the schedule of courses. Is this acceptable?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Current/Future classes:

I currently have all my "completed" classes done from my transcript in AMCAS. For those I wrote them identically as they appear on my official transcript which they have. (Abbreviated Titles)

For current/future courses (senior year), however, I do not know how they would be abbreviated. I figured I would just include the full title as found in the schedule of courses. Is this acceptable?

That's fine. AMCAS won't be verifying current/future courses.
 
Okay, so if I submit AMCAS primary application on June 1st, June 7th, or June 14th, do I get the secondary on the same day in early July??? Because what's the point of rushing to submit right now if I can submit later in June...

Also do schools even screen for GPA/MCAT because a lot of the schools I called said everyone thats verified for primary gets a secondary=cash for them...

I'm super nervous, scared, not done, stressed and pretty much a mess right now...someone help and share some advice...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=734116&highlight=AMCAS+Verification

Verifications from last year. If you go on some of the MDapplicant profiles, you'll see the entire timeline for applicants. If you submit on the 1st, 7th, or 14th, you still receive the same secondary basically on the same day. Don't rush at the expense of submitting a quality application.

Yes, some schools screen. Vanderbilt (you get the secondary and an interview invite at the same time) and Mayo (screened after you pay the fee but before LORs are requested) screen. I'm pretty sure the UCs screen as well.

do most MD schools screen for minimum subsection scores or composite scores? like 24 composite with 7 minimum was one school I called....

i'd like to know this as well!

Merging into the AMCAS questions thread.
 
I am getting Masters from my undergraduate school. Do I list the school twice? One for undergrad and one for masters. Or can I just list it once and say that I am getting a bachelors and masters?
 
So we can send transcripts to AMCAS before we have submitted application?

Sorry if this seems stupid just wanting to get as much out of the way before July 16th MCAT.
 
The problem is, I only have one transcript for both degrees since I "submatriculated" ie some of my undergraduate degree classes double count for the masters.

The instruction manual says (page 20):

Colleges
List every post-secondary institution where you were enrolled for at least one course, even if credits have been transferred, no credits were earned, or you withdrew.

  • If you were enrolled in more than one program (e.g., undergraduate and graduate) at an institution, create a separate entry for each program.

The manual further goes on to imply that having a single transcript covering both undergraduate and graduate enrollment is not an issue (page 23):

Transcript Requirements
One (1) official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned.

...

Note: Some universities issue separate transcripts for undergraduate and graduate course work.
 
For Current/Future classes:

I currently have all my "completed" classes done from my transcript in AMCAS. For those I wrote them identically as they appear on my official transcript which they have. (Abbreviated Titles)

For current/future courses (senior year), however, I do not know how they would be abbreviated. I figured I would just include the full title as found in the schedule of courses. Is this acceptable?

AMCAS uses the term as they would appear on the transcript or "logical abbreviations"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do I list an "excused" course on AMCAS? The only similar choices are "incomplete" or "withdrawal", but they are not the same (this was a summer course that I only took for 3 days before dropping, before any exams). Can someone please help?
 
How do I list an "excused" course on AMCAS? The only similar choices are "incomplete" or "withdrawal", but they are not the same (this was a summer course that I only took for 3 days before dropping, before any exams). Can someone please help?

I think "withdrawal" is the only selection that would be valid here, short of not listing the course at all.
 
I think "withdrawal" is the only selection that would be valid here, short of not listing the course at all.

I don't think I can not list it because it shows on my transcript. But it's listed as EX for "excused", not W. Is selecting "withdrawal" my only choice?
 
I don't think I can not list it because it shows on my transcript. But it's listed as EX for "excused", not W. Is selecting "withdrawal" my only choice?

I believe so. It's the only way to have the course not count for your GPA:

Grades that Do Not Affect the AMCAS GPA
The following AMCAS grades do not have a weight or value in computing the AMCAS GPA:

  • G Used to indicate AP credit not assigned a letter grade
  • L Used for CLEP or USAFI/DANTES credit not assigned a letter grade
  • P Used for courses taken in a Pass/Fail system, which are Passed
  • N Used for courses taken in a Pass/Fail system, which are Failed

For the following types, no entry should be made in the AMCAS Grade Column. These courses have no value or weight in the AMCAS GPA.

  • AU Audited courses
  • CC Courses which are currently being taken or which you expect to take
  • DG Multi-term courses (incomplete series)
  • EX Exempt courses
  • NR Courses for which there is no recorded grade because of school error
  • W Courses from which the applicant has officially withdrawn or "dropped"
If no one posts a more appropriate answer from their own experience, I'd call up AMCAS to make sure.
 
Can/should I submit my application before my transcripts are received my AMCAS?

You can. If you're reasonably sure everything is accurate, then why not? Then your application will enter the verification queue as soon as your transcripts are received, as opposed to you waiting for notification of receipt and then submitting, which would be longer.
 
I believe so. It's the only way to have the course not count for your GPA:

If no one posts a more appropriate answer from their own experience, I'd call up AMCAS to make sure.

You dont want it to be a W as schools will misinterpret it. It sounds like a regularly dropped class allowed during during any course registration period. from AMCAS

Withdrawal
A Withdrawal includes any course from which you officially withdrew, regardless of whether you were passing or failing at the time. Such courses usually appear on the transcript as a "W" or equivalent symbol.
o A course entry must be made even if the withdrawn course does not appear on the transcript.
o A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period.
o No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned.

Call AMCAS.
 
how about the reverse? Transcript submissions before primaries? Is that advised against, or would it be a good idea? I was thinking on doing this thinking it'll take awhile for my transcript to be received, hence kinda making use of that time to work on my apps more and submit it so that it could possibly done in a more concurrent matter... or maybe have the event of transcript being received before i submit as well...

not sure if that's a good idea or not though... 😕
 
how about the reverse? Transcript submissions before primaries? Is that advised against, or would it be a good idea? I was thinking on doing this thinking it'll take awhile for my transcript to be received, hence kinda making use of that time to work on my apps more and submit it so that it could possibly done in a more concurrent matter... or maybe have the event of transcript being received before i submit as well...

not sure if that's a good idea or not though... 😕

That's also a fine idea. Most would say that's the better strategy.
 
You dont want it to be a W as schools will misinterpret it. It sounds like a regularly dropped class allowed during during any course registration period. from AMCAS

Withdrawal
A Withdrawal includes any course from which you officially withdrew, regardless of whether you were passing or failing at the time. Such courses usually appear on the transcript as a "W" or equivalent symbol.
o A course entry must be made even if the withdrawn course does not appear on the transcript.
o A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period.
o No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned.

Call AMCAS.

If it was within the normal add/drop period, then I would assume the bolded text overrides any other instructions.
 
Thanks both for your input. After calling AMCAS, I was told to not click any course classification but to enter "EX" for the course grade. They might have to change it to a W during verification. Sigh.
 
Thanks both for your input. After calling AMCAS, I was told to not click any course classification but to enter "EX" for the course grade. They might have to change it to a W during verification. Sigh.

Interesting. Hopefully it won't affect your application adversely. Good luck!
 
For some of my classes, the grade is S (for Satisfactory). However, we are also allowed to P/F up to 4 classes. I realized after I submitted last night that 2 classes that I P/F'd I marked as S instead of P...do you think this will cause issues for AMCAS?

Thanks!
 
For some of my classes, the grade is S (for Satisfactory). However, we are also allowed to P/F up to 4 classes. I realized after I submitted last night that 2 classes that I P/F'd I marked as S instead of P...do you think this will cause issues for AMCAS?

Thanks!

You should be entering grades exactly as they are marked on your transcript, so "S" is correct. I would think the classes you marked as "P" would be the ones that get corrected. That is, on your application you will see a change to your transcript grade to "S" but your AMCAS grade will be "P."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. Does AMCAS continue to verify, process, etc. on the weekends? Or do they stop Friday, continue on Monday?

I'm really just wondering if there's a difference between submitting tomorrow versus submitting on Monday?
 
if your UPS tracking shows that the transcripts were delivered today, should we expect AMCAS to tell us that our transcripts have been received?

im just worried that something went wrong...and maybe i should call?
 
Hi all,
I'm a grad student applying to meds. Didn't take English in undergrad so I'm going to take it this year while I finish up my thesis. Is there anywhere I can/should indicate that I plan to take a full years English or are the adcoms just gonna chuck out my application?

-Josh
 
Can/should I submit my application before my transcripts are received my AMCAS?

You can. If you're reasonably sure everything is accurate, then why not? Then your application will enter the verification queue as soon as your transcripts are received, as opposed to you waiting for notification of receipt and then submitting, which would be longer.

how about the reverse? Transcript submissions before primaries? Is that advised against, or would it be a good idea? I was thinking on doing this thinking it'll take awhile for my transcript to be received, hence kinda making use of that time to work on my apps more and submit it so that it could possibly done in a more concurrent matter... or maybe have the event of transcript being received before i submit as well...

not sure if that's a good idea or not though... 😕

That's also a fine idea. Most would say that's the better strategy.

That is what I am doing as well. I guess they both work out to be very similar.

Merging with Official AMCAS Questions thread
 
Hi all,
I'm a grad student applying to meds. Didn't take English in undergrad so I'm going to take it this year while I finish up my thesis. Is there anywhere I can/should indicate that I plan to take a full years English or are the adcoms just gonna chuck out my application?

-Josh

On the AMCAS application, there is either a section for future coursework OR in the section with the rest of your coursework you can put in those courses and put 2011-2012 for the years. I can't remember which was it is, but I had a lot of future course prereqs while I was applying.
 
if your UPS tracking shows that the transcripts were delivered today, should we expect AMCAS to tell us that our transcripts have been received?

im just worried that something went wrong...and maybe i should call?

I would not worry just yet.
 
Hi everyone. Does AMCAS continue to verify, process, etc. on the weekends? Or do they stop Friday, continue on Monday?

I'm really just wondering if there's a difference between submitting tomorrow versus submitting on Monday?

Here's my line of thinking: the queue for processing is always open, regardless of whether it is actively being processed. So, even though no one may be working over the weekend, by submitting now you enter the line and will be ahead of someone who submits on Monday.
 
Quick question...

I'm not sure where my mom went to school, but she's a business owner. Would it look bad if I just put the information for my dad? I mean... do they really care about this that much?? My mom's out of the country right now so I can't contact her until later this month.
 
Why do you think they ask this question now? It's complicated b/c my family income when i was younger is very different from now if you include my parents. the avg comes out making me look poor...maybe even economically disadvantaged but i'm not applying as disadvantaged. the thing is that i'm not sure if med schools looks favorably on this b/c it looks like you overcame adversity or if they think you might not be able to pay for school...is it even legal to discriminate based on family income in the U.S>? Also my parents aren't even helping me pay for med school.
 
if on our official transcripts the course name is abbreviated, should we put this abbreviated version into amcas or the full name? thanks!
 
Why do you think they ask this question now? It's complicated b/c my family income when i was younger is very different from now if you include my parents. the avg comes out making me look poor...maybe even economically disadvantaged but i'm not applying as disadvantaged. the thing is that i'm not sure if med schools looks favorably on this b/c it looks like you overcame adversity or if they think you might not be able to pay for school...is it even legal to discriminate based on family income in the U.S>? Also my parents aren't even helping me pay for med school.

You are stressing over nothing.
 
Honestly, I am not a big fan of that question and am glad it wasn't included in my year. I don't really know what my parents were making when i was 0-18... and I find it inappropriate to ask (plus, I doubt they barely remember).

Regardless, I think you are overthinking it. I don't think schools will use what your parents use to make as a judge for whether or not they should accept you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if on our official transcripts the course name is abbreviated, should we put this abbreviated version into amcas or the full name? thanks!

1) Can't go wrong sticking with what's on your transcript.
2) That having been said, I would use the full word if it's not an obvious abbreviation.

Additional information:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10996642&highlight=abbreviation#post10996642
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10967712&highlight=abbreviation#post10967712
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10965867&highlight=abbreviation#post10965867

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10965867&highlight=abbreviation#post10965867
 
I know this has likely been covered elsewhere, but wanted to double-check:

If I save a word document (with my personal statement on it) as plain-text, then cut and paste the content into the AMCAS app - will that work, or will I get formatting problems, etc? How do you know for sure that there's no text errors - will you be able to see the final form that adcoms will see?

Thanks.
 
I know this has likely been covered elsewhere, but wanted to double-check:

If I save a word document (with my personal statement on it) as plain-text, then cut and paste the content into the AMCAS app - will that work, or will I get formatting problems, etc? How do you know for sure that there's no text errors - will you be able to see the final form that adcoms will see?

Thanks.

You can definitely edit the PS in the text box in the application. You can edit it up until you submit your application, like the other fields of the application. I wrote mine in Word (97-2003 format) and pasted it into notepad to review before putting it in AMCAS and there were no formatting issues I had to deal with.
 
I know this has likely been covered elsewhere, but wanted to double-check:

If I save a word document (with my personal statement on it) as plain-text, then cut and paste the content into the AMCAS app - will that work, or will I get formatting problems, etc? How do you know for sure that there's no text errors - will you be able to see the final form that adcoms will see?

Thanks.

I would cut and paste from Word into Notepad (or TextEdit if you're on a Mac) and then into your web browser. Saving as text first means you have to choose the correct encoding and chances are you're just going to do something wrong.

From within AMCAS you can print your app to PDF, which should adequately represent the final form of your application. You can then review it for errors.
 
Hi all,
I'm a grad student applying to meds. Didn't take English in undergrad so I'm going to take it this year while I finish up my thesis. Is there anywhere I can/should indicate that I plan to take a full years English or are the adcoms just gonna chuck out my application?

-Josh

On the AMCAS application, there is either a section for future coursework OR in the section with the rest of your coursework you can put in those courses and put 2011-2012 for the years. I can't remember which was it is, but I had a lot of future course prereqs while I was applying.

Merging into AMCAS questions thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.