*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sure would be nice. However, if you did not take the AP exams - or even if you DID take them but failed to report your to your undergraduate registrar's office - then no cigar. In short, if the credit for an AP course does not appear as transfer credit on your collegiate transcript, it cannot be listed on AMCAS. Your second quotation says this fairly explicitly.

As regards the instructions cited in your first quote, my high school offered specialized "CollegeNOW" classes whereby you were issued college credit for some advanced math and science classes. These were taken at the high school, but grades were reported to a local community college, and all participating students received a transcript from that college detailing the pertinent credits. I think that's the sort of non-AP college coursework they're referring to.


Ah ok, that makes sense. I wasn't familiar with any type of program like the one you described.

Thanks!
 
The application verification takes up to 6 weeks. Im wondering if we were to send letters in like in mid june or beginning of july, woud we have to wait that long for amcas to put the letters in the file?
 
I am a little confused about this topic. Are you supposed to assign your LORs once you submit your primary, or do you go back to your application and assign LORs as you get secondaries in?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, I couldnt find it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The application verification takes up to 6 weeks. Im wondering if we were to send letters in like in mid june or beginning of july, woud we have to wait that long for amcas to put the letters in the file?

No, they receive your LORs fairly quickly compared to transcripts and processing. All of mine took about 1 or 2 days after i sent the LORs
 
I am a little confused about this topic. Are you supposed to assign your LORs once you submit your primary, or do you go back to your application and assign LORs as you get secondaries in?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, I couldnt find it

You can do either. Doesn't really matter.
 
The application verification takes up to 6 weeks. Im wondering if we were to send letters in like in mid june or beginning of july, woud we have to wait that long for amcas to put the letters in the file?

No, they receive your LORs fairly quickly compared to transcripts and processing. All of mine took about 1 or 2 days after i sent the LORs

mine took 2 days

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
I know that AP classes we received credit for are considered part of the first semester of college course work, but what about AP classes taken in high school we did not take an AP test for and therefore did not receive credit? I was under the assumption that we do not include any high school course work.

I'm confused because the 2012 instructions say

but the help section of the AMCAS itself says (about high school classes)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I read it correctly, do not include AP classes that you do not have college credit for.

That sure would be nice. However, if you did not take the AP exams - or even if you DID take them but failed to report your to your undergraduate registrar's office - then no cigar. In short, if the credit for an AP course does not appear as transfer credit on your collegiate transcript, it cannot be listed on AMCAS. Your second quotation says this fairly explicitly.

As regards the instructions cited in your first quote, my high school offered specialized "CollegeNOW" classes whereby you were issued college credit for some advanced math and science classes. These were taken at the high school, but grades were reported to a local community college, and all participating students received a transcript from that college detailing the pertinent credits. I think that's the sort of non-AP college coursework they're referring to.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I wasn't familiar with any type of program like the one you described.

Thanks!

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone been able to use firefox 4 user to do their amcas application. I hate Internet explorer and hate even more that after I installed IE9, i had to uninstall it because amcas is not compatible with it...

i dont wanna have to downgrade my firefox version, and i also dont want to upgrade to IE 9 just hoping that amcas has fixed the issue, so if others are able to use it with IE9 lemme know!

List of compatible browsers:

Internet Explorer 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, and 5.5
Netscape 7
Mozilla Firefox 3.6, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.5, and 1.0.2

Look for an old release, install it, submit your application, uninstall the browser, move on with your life.

I completed the whole AMCAS application with no problems using Firefox on Linux and User Agent Switcher. It seems to work fine. You can even turn User Agent Switcher off after getting to the main menu, as only the login screen checks for IE/Windows or Mac.

AMCAS seems to be fairly well-written and simple, I think only maybe a very old browser would have problems with it. I think they're just trying to save themselves the effort of actually testing it with other browsers.

Yes OP, you should install a partition for Red Hat or Ubuntu so that you may successfully complete your app 🙄.



Incorrect. As OP suggested, in Windows IE9 won't work on AMCAS: "Unsupported Browser - Please click here to view a list of browsers currently supported by AMCAS. Need help? Contact us at [email protected]."

lol ill have to go with ubuntu when the crap that will be windows 8 is released. i was just asking because freakin windows update keeps popping up asking me to install ie9, thanks for letting me know imma stick with IE8 and **** slap windows update back to Redwood.

You know you can just hide the updates you don't want to install and Windows will never bother you again.

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
Hi everyone,

I didn't know where to exactly post this, but was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction and give me some advice in regards to the AMCAS application.

I'm currently a permanent resident of the US (Greencard holder). I had my naturalization interview last month and I haven't yet been notified on when to take my oath. So I can't really call myself American until after I take my oath.
A few issues regarding this. I am having my middle name changed, and as a result, my middle name will be different than that on my official transcript and my MCAT info. Should I just leave the middle name field on the app blank?

Also, if I do submit my application within the week. My citizenship status will be set as a permanent resident. When I can officially call myself an American, is there anyway I can go back and change it on the application once it is verified? I figure being an American citizen will give me a better chance of getting into medschool.

Isn't there a section on AMCAS where you can put other names "you were known as". Just fill out that appropriately. You can put anything you want in the middle name.

My transcripts were a mismash of names, and I didn't have any problems with processing.

Certain demographic fields can be changed post-verification. I don't know if citizenship status is one of them. The application should explicitly say which one it is.

I changed my name legally a couple years ago. You have the opportunity on the AMCAS to report your previous names.

Honestly, I think that most schools look at Citizens and Permanent Residents the same way. I wouldn't really worry too much about it. You have the same chances.

I just don't know if you want to mess with anything MID-APPLICATION just because I wouldn't want your application to be kicked out by an automated system due to semantics. Fixing it takes time, and the more time that has passed, the less chance you have of getting in to your desired school due to rolling admissions. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter WHY your application was delayed. It is a risk.

If you're truly concerned about it, just mention it at interviews. Usually interviewers will give you the chance to give them any extra information that wasn't on your application otherwise.

Just put down your old name under aliases/previously known as and you can send schools an update after you take your oath. Congrats on becoming a citizen of the greatest country in the world 👍

I have a question, which OP might also be interested in. My family immigrated to the U.S. when I was young, and I am currently a neutralized citizen. But I'm still using my name at birth, and I was wondering how this would affect my chances. I know that there's a section in AMCAS where I can indicate that I'm a U.S. citizen, but is there any chance that some schools would pay not enough attention to this section and rather make a blind guess from looking at my name that I'm an international applicant?

Plenty of American-born citizens have foreign-sounding names. I don't think this is an issue at all.

Not an issue. That's like worrying about them glossing over the gender box and making an assumption if your name is Julian. They pay someone $9 an hour to mindnumbingly search for those check boxes

You can contact AAMC and get your name on your MCAT officially changed. I had to do this too since I got citizenship two months after taking the MCAT. They require documentation of the name change, but otherwise it's a pretty easy fix. You might as well do this in addition to listing it on AMCAS, since the MCAT uses your AMCAS ID #.

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
Hey guys,
So I took a "SRP 199 - Neurology" research for units and a grade, and I was wondering whether it counted towards the BCMP science gpa. Thing is, the department is under my school's medical school (and I heard med classes don't count towards the science gpa).

note: main reason why I'm so concernced is that I might be given a B because my "pace is slow with the computer" - though I received no feedback my entire time working at the lab thus far.

If
{

Grade in course > BCPM GPA;
List as BCPM

else
List as non-BCPM
}

thank you. yes, i plan on listing as non-bcmp, but what if amcas changes it? thing is, there isn't any syllabus for the "course"

This sounds horrible! Why did you take the course?

I should've taken it as units instead of grade.

Put what you want and if they change it count your losses and carry on. You can appeal but that delays verification (ie - not worth it).

okay thanks! is it possible to write some feedback when inputting my grade?
and what research is inputted into "bcmp"? ie: is imaging stuff considered bcmp?
this is frustrating.

No feedback - just list the course number and name EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript and classify it in the drop-down menu. Remember AMCAS says to classify by course content so just use your best judgment and if they change it move on and don't worry about the 0.03 points they took from your BCPM GPA...

Oh AMCAS says to judge by course content? Thank goodness. Yeah, I might send my transcript really early, and if they say no, i'll appeal if it takes forever. I'm applying next year.

This sounds dishonest.

Should I just call the AMCAS people and ask them? Or does anyone else have any feedback/experience with this situation?

I've tried contacting AMCAS once with a similar question, they state that they will not advise you in categorizing your courses. For this reason I'd say flatearth's suggestion is probably your best bet.

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
I am signed-up to take the MCAT on 7/16/11 (I originally took it on 5/21/11 but felt really bad about it so I decided to sign-up again). Will AMCAS wait until it receives my July MCAT score (which would be mid-august) to send my primary to my selected schools?
If this is the case I am wondering if I am better of not retaking it because I don't want it to be mid-august before my schools even look at my primary.

Thanks
 
question about secondary app's:
my primary app is already verified, but i have been doing some volunteer work as of late and wanted to add this to my work/activities...I received a secondary app, should I not submit this app until i get re-verified?
Also, should I just not update my app at all for one volunteer experience? And perhaps talk about it in my secondary.
Thanks in advance
 
question about secondary app's:
my primary app is already verified, but i have been doing some volunteer work as of late and wanted to add this to my work/activities...I received a secondary app, should I not submit this app until i get re-verified?
Also, should I just not update my app at all for one volunteer experience? And perhaps talk about it in my secondary.
Thanks in advance

i didn't think you could change that regardless? the instructions PDF has a list of things you can change after submission. it's pretty limited from what i remember. pretty much adding schools, letters, assigning letters to schools, and maybe changing contact info or something are the limit...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey all,

i know this thread is really old but i'm hoping someone can still answer the question that was posted above by fluffy rabbit:

My application is not verified yet (should be within a week, I submitted on 7/2). I had moved recently and went on AMCAS to change my address, but upon clicking Continue it informed me that I had to recertify/resubmit.

Horrified at the idea of possibly waiting another month or paying another couple hundred dollars, I clicked on some other tab, but now my address change is reflected there.

What exactly happened? I sure hope my place in line isn't changed...

EDIT: The address change was reversed after I had logged off and back in. Apparently I have to click the Submit button in the Main Menu, but I'm afraid of doing so.


I'm having the same issue. My prehealth committee changed the main advisor's name for the committee letter, and asked me to update the letters of rec section of my app to reflect this change. However, then AMCAS required me to re-submit. Have I lost my initial spot in line for AMCAS review? my application was 'ready for review' and has been for nearly a week, so I've definitely lost a good amount of time if re-submitting has bumped me from that spot. anyone know about this?

thanks!
 
'Verification' and 'Certification' are different things.
Your app is verified when someone gets your transcript, compares it to what you put down, makes corrections, if needed, and OKs it.
Certification is when you say (by clicking) all the stuff I wrote down is good to go and I didn't lie anywhere.
I re-submitted a couple of times to change things/add schools. It doesn't cost anything and the only effect is after doing it the first time, you can no longer change your work/activities, PS and some other, non-information fields.
 
Hopefully someone has the same issue as me and can help- is anyone receiving duplicate notifications emails for the transcripts and LOEs? On wednesday I received an email for one school's transcript, then received another email the following day for the same school. 😕 This also happened for one of my letters- anyone else? They wouldn't receive a transcript or letter from one school but attribute it to someone else would they?
 
Use the guide in the instruction manual to map your credits earned to years in school.


Thanks, its seems that I was doing it the right way. I just wish I went a more traditional route and wouldn't have to spend so much time on this section.
 
Hey, quick question. I just submitted my app, but it hasn't been verified. YET, I just got an email from one of my schools talking about secondaries. I thought they didn't get my application until it was verified....which would mean they're telepathic. Or do I not really understand the process?
 
I'm a reapplicant working on my AMCAS. If I submitted my primary to a school last year but didn't send the secondary, do I count as a reapplicant to that school?
 
I realized on AMCAS that the app wants gpa breakdown (both BCPM and cumulative) for each academic year. However, in the event you completed summer classes at you undergrad proceeding an academic year, would that factor in to the immediately preceding academic year.

For example, taking summer classes after freshman year, would it count for the freshman year gpas?
 
Hey, quick question. I just submitted my app, but it hasn't been verified. YET, I just got an email from one of my schools talking about secondaries. I thought they didn't get my application until it was verified....which would mean they're telepathic. Or do I not really understand the process?

Some schools offer secondaries if they know you're applying to them and do not screen based on GPA or MCAT.
 
I'm a reapplicant working on my AMCAS. If I submitted my primary to a school last year but didn't send the secondary, do I count as a reapplicant to that school?

My understanding is that yes, you do count, but you should check with those schools directly to be on the safe side.
 
i didn't think you could change that regardless? the instructions PDF has a list of things you can change after submission. it's pretty limited from what i remember. pretty much adding schools, letters, assigning letters to schools, and maybe changing contact info or something are the limit...

Correct. If you've been verified, you can't add to or change the work/activities section.
 
I realized on AMCAS that the app wants gpa breakdown (both BCPM and cumulative) for each academic year. However, in the event you completed summer classes at you undergrad proceeding an academic year, would that factor in to the immediately preceding academic year.

For example, taking summer classes after freshman year, would it count for the freshman year gpas?

You should really read the AMCAS instructions: "Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year." (top of page 37)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should really read the AMCAS instructions: "Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year." (top of page 37)

Oh, then I stand corrected. I thought it was the other way around because the AMCAS folks had moved my classes (originally listed like you described) on two separate occasions.
 
damnn i wish it were the other way around (it counting towards the previous year) bc I currently have a 3.0 BCPM gpa and 3.4 cgpa and am taking two summer science courses and excelling in them...i was wondering how stringent are med school adcoms on the gpa breakdown per year for both the cgpa and bcpm gpa? Is it only used to see upward/downward trends and rather place the heaviest toll on the cumulative gpa and cumulative bcpm gpa at the end.
 
@CopaceticOne i appreciate your apology no worries its all good...but can you please clear up this uncertainty i have.

Okay basically I am wondering how the AMCAS breaks down gpas because i am too young to apply lol and haven't actually seen it. Basically i thought someone told me theres a section where it asks for "freshman, sop., junior, etc. year gpa" (with both bcpm and cum. separated for each "year" is this correct?
 
Okay basically I am wondering how the AMCAS breaks down gpas because i am too young to apply lol and haven't actually seen it. Basically i thought someone told me theres a section where it asks for "freshman, sop., junior, etc. year gpa" (with both bcpm and cum. separated for each "year" is this correct?

More like this:
2009-2010 schoolyear: BCPM, AO (all others), Cumulative
2010-2011 schoolyear: "" "" ""
2011-2012 schoolyear: "" "" ""

(if you take classes in the summer of 2010, according to CopaceticOne they belong in 2010-2011)
 
Okay basically I am wondering how the AMCAS breaks down gpas because i am too young to apply lol and haven't actually seen it. Basically i thought someone told me theres a section where it asks for "freshman, sop., junior, etc. year gpa" (with both bcpm and cum. separated for each "year" is this correct?

Yes, but the good/bad part is that AMCAS does all these GPA calculations. They rely on the year classification your provided when entering your coursework to group the courses. As aSagacious mentioned, they can change the year of a class while verifying the primary app.
 
ohh i see how it all works but how come many people say they get passed the rules of AMCAS when you're saying that they verify things just a question i'm not challenging your explanation at all?

And that comes to another question how does AMCAS handle incorrect categorizations of coursework by year for example if you were to list a course in the wrong year and they have to fix that is that considered being "dishonest" in the app and all? Is it noted somewhere if you fail to follow the regulations because you forgot a rule of AMCAS?
 
So I submitted my application yesterday but then I noticed today that for my summer community class courses I put 2011 instead of 2010!!! Ahhh is this totally going to ruin my application and have them not verify it and send it back to me? I really hope this one little mistake of not putting 2010 and accidentally putting 2011 is going to significantly delay my application. Here I was happy that i was somewhat early.........
 
More like this:
2009-2010 schoolyear: BCPM, AO (all others), Cumulative
2010-2011 schoolyear: "" "" ""
2011-2012 schoolyear: "" "" ""

(if you take classes in the summer of 2010, according to CopaceticOne they belong in 2010-2011)
Once again, this information is incorrect.

It is not broken down by academic year aka 2009-2010 schoolyear. It is broken down by year in school, which is freshman, sophomore, etc. The reason why this distinction is important (which if people would have read my previous post would have been more clear) is that itsallgood can classify his classes how he or she wishes. CopaceticOne is 100% correct in saying that the academic year is something that you cannot change. Summer classes are the start of the new academic year. However, just because the academic year changes does not necessarily mean that you have to change your year in school. There is more leeway with AMCAS on the year in school classification.

The AMCAS instruction manual gives guidelines on page 37. As long as you stick within the guidelines, you will be fine.
ohh i see how it all works but how come many people say they get passed the rules of AMCAS when you're saying that they verify things just a question i'm not challenging your explanation at all?

And that comes to another question how does AMCAS handle incorrect categorizations of coursework by year for example if you were to list a course in the wrong year and they have to fix that is that considered being "dishonest" in the app and all? Is it noted somewhere if you fail to follow the regulations because you forgot a rule of AMCAS?
This is exactly my point. Yes, AMCAS verifies all of your grades for you. However, you can be the one who makes decisions about your year in school, so that's how you can change the outcome. As long as you stick within the credit guidelines that AMCAS provides, then they won't change it. I tried to post a link earlier, but I think everyone just skipped my post. Anyway, go back and read it. I provide an example that fits well into your situation.

They won't flag your app or anything. It will be fine. Read this https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147882/coursework_shared_3.3.html
 
OKAY i appreciate your post but seriously dude just tell me the solution to this scenario:

I have a 3.0 BCPM gpa and a 3.4 cGPA at the end of my sophomore year. I proceeded to take marine biology as a summer course this summer, which is listed under BIO at my school. Now, in terms of AMCAS would AMCAS fix the 3.0 and 3.4 for that year or whatever you wanna call it or is that marine bio gonna fix my gpas for the following (junior) year.

Seriously guys can i just get an answer to this question i really appreciate the effort but so many different answers are being thrown in this thread that it can be easily misread.

Thanks again
 
OKAY i appreciate your post but seriously dude just tell me the solution to this scenario:

I have a 3.0 BCPM gpa and a 3.4 cGPA at the end of my sophomore year. I proceeded to take marine biology as a summer course this summer, which is listed under BIO at my school. Now, in terms of AMCAS would AMCAS fix the 3.0 and 3.4 for that year or whatever you wanna call it or is that marine bio gonna fix my gpas for the following (junior) year.

Seriously guys can i just get an answer to this question i really appreciate the effort but so many different answers are being thrown in this thread that it can be easily misread.

Thanks again
The problem is that you aren't giving us specifics. Things like number of credits for the preceding semester (at least 2 semesters) and how many credits you are taking this summer

My point is (in my numerous posts) is that usually YOU can decide. You don't need us to tell you. YOU get to pick which one looks the best (like if you want to show an upward trend, or if you want to show consistency, or if you want to avoid showing a downward trend, etc)
 
I took 16 credits (4 classes) fall semester and 12 credits (3 classes) spring semester. Now I am only doing the marine bio course the proceeding summer (which is 4 credits). I want it to affect my sophomore year gpas. So, after receiving a grade for that class and having it down on my app, my question is can i classify it to affect the sophomore year gpas

or

do i have to wait until junior year grades and then factor them and the marine bio course together.

Basically i am getting the consensus that i have the choice to pick which one it will affect. If i wanted it to affect the sophomore year grades would i simply have to classify it as sophomore (or like 2010-11 academic year) or is this not correct? Please stop me if any of this information is incorrect again i really apologize but just wanna know how to classify it to affect the sophomore gpas plzzz
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took 16 credits (4 classes) fall semester and 12 credits (3 classes) spring semester. Now I am only doing the marine bio course the proceeding summer (which is 4 credits). I want it to affect my sophomore year gpas. So, after receiving a grade for that class and having it down on my app, my question is can i classify it to affect the sophomore year gpas

or

do i have to wait until junior year grades and then factor them and the marine bio course together.

Basically i am getting the consensus that i have the choice to pick which one it will affect. If i wanted it to affect the sophomore year grades would i simply have to classify it as sophomore (or like 2010-11 academic year) or is this not correct? Please stop me if any of this information is incorrect again i really apologize but just wanna know how to classify it to affect the sophomore gpas plzzz
You don't understand how the app works. There are TWO separate fields: academic year (aka 2010-2011) which you can do absolutely nothing to change and year in school (aka soph, jun, sen) which you can designate.
Since your sophomore year only has 28 credits, just mark sophomore for this marine bio class. That puts you at 32 credits which fits the AMCAS guidelines
 
alright when i apply thru AMCAS i'll see the two separate fields and basically put 2010-2011 for academic year and sophomore as year in school and it will then affect the 3.0 and 3.4 correct?

I sware I am not a troll I just havent even seen the app
 
alright when i apply thru AMCAS i'll see the two separate fields and basically put 2010-2011 for academic year and sophomore as year in school and it will then affect the 3.0 and 3.4 correct?

I sware I am not a troll I just havent even seen the app
If you're taking the class right now, then it would be 2011-2012 academic year, but you would still put "sophomore". Correct
 
So I submitted my application yesterday but then I noticed today that for my summer community class courses I put 2011 instead of 2010!!! Ahhh is this totally going to ruin my application and have them not verify it and send it back to me? I really hope this one little mistake of not putting 2010 and accidentally putting 2011 is going to significantly delay my application. Here I was happy that i was somewhat early.........

Wait I just clicked on my courses and on top it say Oakton Community College(2011), and then underneath it says 2009-2010 Summer Session (Summer). I took the class in the summer of 2010 so now I'm really confused as to if I classified it correctly.
 
yeah i am currently i will put 2011-2012 i just thought 2010-2011 because won't it be contradictory if i put sophomore but really 2011-2012 is my junior year. the answer is probably it is my choice right i sware i am not patronizing you im not trying to be a d-bag right now i'm just trying to do this the right way
 
Status
Not open for further replies.