*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a stupid question, but...

For entering your personal statement, should you just leave line breaks as is?

For example:

Paragraph#1
Paragraph#2

or should you put line breaks between, i.e.:

Paragraph#1

Paragraph#2

I think the latter looks better, but it doesn't matter, right? Personal preference? Essays just look so ugly without indents at the beginning of new paragraphs...
 
This is a stupid question, but...

For entering your personal statement, should you just leave line breaks as is?

For example:

Paragraph#1
Paragraph#2

or should you put line breaks between, i.e.:

Paragraph#1

Paragraph#2

I think the latter looks better, but it doesn't matter, right? Personal preference? Essays just look so ugly without indents at the beginning of new paragraphs...

The latter. Realize that tabs are disallowed, so the only way to indicate paragraphs is through a double line break.

(nyah tiger)
 
Yea, I guess I'll go with double line breaks.

Imagine my surprise when I copy and pasted my PS into AMCAS only to find it was a few characters too long! MSWord and various internet character counts: you have betrayed me!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my school only does online transcript requests as well. i requested a transcript without the AMCAS transcript request form and AMCAS was able to receive it without any problems.

Thanks for the quick replies mauberley. I am going to contact my University on Monday to ask them about online transcript requests.
 
This is a stupid question, but...

For entering your personal statement, should you just leave line breaks as is?

For example:

Paragraph#1
Paragraph#2

or should you put line breaks between, i.e.:

Paragraph#1

Paragraph#2

I think the latter looks better, but it doesn't matter, right? Personal preference? Essays just look so ugly without indents at the beginning of new paragraphs...

Definitely don't send a huge block of text.
 
The class (actually a seminar) has a course number "Interdisciplinary Studies" but it has "scientific inquiry" in the name.

The entire time was spent reading primary research in immunology and presenting the papers so I definately think it's a biology class. However just by looking at the name or classification it doesn't seem so....how do I make sure it gets classified as BCMP? What can I do if AMCAS sends it back as non BCMP?
 
Probably not BCPM. You can try to classify it under Biology.

If AAMC doesn't classify it under Bio, then you can appeal but it will delay your app. I have no idea how successful it is.
 
The class (actually a seminar) has a course number "Interdisciplinary Studies" but it has "scientific inquiry" in the name.

The entire time was spent reading primary research in immunology and presenting the papers so I definately think it's a biology class. However just by looking at the name or classification it doesn't seem so....how do I make sure it gets classified as BCMP? What can I do if AMCAS sends it back as non BCMP?

Not much. Categorize it as you please, take solace in the fact that they will change it as they see fit if they feel you have made a mistake.
 
Not much. Categorize it as you please, take solace in the fact that they will change it as they see fit if they feel you have made a mistake.

Do I need to list the course Exactly as it appears on the transcript? There were several different seminars that had different topics...can I add the Immunology topic that my seminar had?
 
Do I need to list the course Exactly as it appears on the transcript? There were several different seminars that had different topics...can I add the Immunology topic that my seminar had?

You title them as they appear on your transcript... This is how the AMCAS employees check the transcripts for accuracy - quick comparison to see if things match up.

You won't be "punished" for not having the titles match perfectly [beyond the possibility of having your ish delayed]. Do a quick risk/benefit ratio and see if it is worth your time.
 
Hi all, long time lurker here. I'm a current graduate student and have listed my expected degree as a Masters, and included the specific title of my degree as the "major" I declared. We also have what my school calls certificate programs which allow us to have a concentration in different departments/ fields of study - would it be acceptable to include this as a "minor" on AMCAS? The certificate programs usually require approximately 20 credit hours of course work and are pretty similar to the requirements of a minor at an undergraduate level. Or should I just include it as one of my Activities/ EC's?


Bump on Chip's question. Any thoughts here? Thanks in advance.
 
So I came accross this excel spreadsheet that calculated your science gpa and overall gpa the way AMCAS would. Now my overall gpa for freshman year is low (~3.19) but when I input it into the spreadsheet it turns out as a 3.2~ish. My question is does AMCAS weigh science courses which would explain for that bump in gpa or have I just got this all wrong?
 
Remember AMCAS gives you a 3.7 for A-, 3.3 for B+, etc.

Your school might give you a 3.66 for A-, 3.33 for B+, etc.

So if you have a lot of minus grades your AMCAS would be higher but if you have a lot of plus grades it would be lower. Also no A+'s on the AMCAS.

Could you link to the spreadsheet?
 
I've received the following grades:

Chemistry I lecture: A+ (4.00)
Chemistry I laboratory: A- (3.70)

At my school, these grades are averaged together to give a grade of 4.00 (A) in General Chemistry I; however, will these grades be posted separately on an AMCAS application? Thanks in advance!
 
The spreadsheet I got somewhere off this site calculated by B+ as a 3.5. Is this correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They'll be posted separately if they are different course numbers and appear as such on your transcript.
 
Everything is reported on AMCAS exactly as it is on your transcript. If your transcript shows Gen Chem-A, you will list them together (on AMCAS there is a box you can check to show that the course included a lab). If they appear separately on your transcript (Gen Chem Lecture-A+, Gen Chem Lab- A-) you need to list them as separate classes on AMCAS.
 
Everything is reported on AMCAS exactly as it is on your transcript. If your transcript shows Gen Chem-A, you will list them together (on AMCAS there is a box you can check to show that the course included a lab). If they appear separately on your transcript (Gen Chem Lecture-A+, Gen Chem Lab- A-) you need to list them as separate classes on AMCAS.

Thank you. 👍
 
Anyone know how you would list a class that is just on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading scale? I don't get a grade in the class, but it is an independent study science course, so I'm not sure how to enter it
 
It asks for course name for the AAMC application...

should I put the full name or the short name...

example: Bio 1

full name= Biodiversity, Evolution and ecology

short name= Biology (then there is a place for course number where I could put 1)
 
It asks for course name for the AAMC application...

should I put the full name or the short name...

example: Bio 1

full name= Biodiversity, Evolution and ecology

short name= Biology (then there is a place for course number where I could put 1)

Do you have a copy of your transcript? You should input the name as it appears on your transcript. If you don't, you should put the full name. The course number usually looks something like "BIO 101" or something like that.
 
Anyone know how you would list a class that is just on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading scale? I don't get a grade in the class, but it is an independent study science course, so I'm not sure how to enter it

Pass/fail. Page 43 of the instruction manual:

Pass/Fail
Pass/Fail courses are those that are attempted under a Pass/Fail system that allows no more than two (2) passing grades and one (1)failing grade (e.g., Credit/No Credit, Pass/Fail, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, High Pass/Pass/Fail, etc.).
 
Do you have a copy of your transcript? You should input the name as it appears on your transcript. If you don't, you should put the full name. The course number usually looks something like "BIO 101" or something like that.


Thanks for the quick response...I do have my transcript...

For bio, it says BIO 1 then next to it, it says Biodiversity, evolution and ecology. Your saying input the full name correct? and for the place it asks course number, input Bio 1?
 
Thanks for the quick response...I do have my transcript...

For bio, it says BIO 1 then next to it, it says Biodiversity, evolution and ecology. Your saying input the full name correct? and for the place it asks course number, input Bio 1?

Yes.
 
The class (actually a seminar) has a course number "Interdisciplinary Studies" but it has "scientific inquiry" in the name.

The entire time was spent reading primary research in immunology and presenting the papers so I definately think it's a biology class. However just by looking at the name or classification it doesn't seem so....how do I make sure it gets classified as BCMP? What can I do if AMCAS sends it back as non BCMP?

Probably not BCPM. You can try to classify it under Biology.

If AAMC doesn't classify it under Bio, then you can appeal but it will delay your app. I have no idea how successful it is.

Not much. Categorize it as you please, take solace in the fact that they will change it as they see fit if they feel you have made a mistake.

Do I need to list the course Exactly as it appears on the transcript? There were several different seminars that had different topics...can I add the Immunology topic that my seminar had?

You title them as they appear on your transcript... This is how the AMCAS employees check the transcripts for accuracy - quick comparison to see if things match up.

You won't be "punished" for not having the titles match perfectly [beyond the possibility of having your ish delayed]. Do a quick risk/benefit ratio and see if it is worth your time.


Merging with AMCAS mega-thread
 
How do I know when AMCAS received my transcripts and processed it. Do they notify you ?
 
Thanks for the response! If I use the pass/fail option though, would that look poorly? I don't want schools to think I took a pass/fail option because i was doing poorly in a course. The class I took is only offered on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading scale, as it is an independent study course.

Pass/fail. Page 43 of the instruction manual:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a questin too. Does leadership development where you attend various worshops count as actual leadership? I am not sure.
 
Soo I'm registered to take another MCAT on August 19th. Do I HAVE to include this upcoming MCAT on my application for it to be looked at on this application, or can I add it later after submitting my application?

The reason I ask is I know schools won't offer interviews until all known MCAT scores are in, and if this is pending release till the end of September (a month from taking the test) then I may be at sort of a disadvantage.

Thoughts? Or do I just have to include the upcoming date before submitting my application?
 
How do I know when AMCAS received my transcripts and processed it. Do they notify you ?

Yes, you'll receive an email with a subject line like "AMCAS Transcript Receipt Notification." When your application has been verified, you will receive another email with a subject line like "AMCAS Notification: Your application is now Processed."

Thanks for the response! If I use the pass/fail option though, would that look poorly? I don't want schools to think I took a pass/fail option because i was doing poorly in a course. The class I took is only offered on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading scale, as it is an independent study course.

If it appears on your transcript, you can't omit it from your application. Why worry?

I have a questin too. Does leadership development where you attend various worshops count as actual leadership? I am not sure.

I would say that merely taking workshops in leadership does not count as leadership.
 
Yes, you'll receive an email with a subject line like "AMCAS Transcript Receipt Notification." When your application has been verified, you will receive another email with a subject line like "AMCAS Notification: Your application is now Processed."



If it appears on your transcript, you can't omit it from your application. Why worry?



I would say that merely taking workshops in leadership does not count as leadership.

Hmmmmmm.....Are you trying to confuse me?😕 😀 Then what, young one, is leadership?? It is the....
 
(1) One of my profs wants to update my letter once I get my new MCAT score on June 20ish. If I submit on June 1st along with his original letter, is it possible to replace the original with the updated one before med schools see them??

He was talking about making phone calls to all schools I applied to update his letter. 😱

(2) If my major is Interdisciplinary Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, how do I write that on AMCAS?

(3) the grading system of my school changed in 2009 from A/B+/B system to A/A-/B+ system. How do I indicate that on AMCAS so that my B+ during A/B+/B time doesn't count as 3.3?
 
Last edited:
(1) One of my profs wants to update my letter once I get my new MCAT score on June 20ish. If I submit on June 1st along with his original letter, is it possible to replace the original with the updated one before med schools see them??

He was talking about making phone calls to all schools I applied to update his letter. 😱

(2) If my major is Interdisciplinary Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, how do I write that on AMCAS?

1) Wtf? Sounds like a red flag to me - a letter based on your MCAT score? Regardless, you should be able to make a new entry with the new letter, unless AMCAS forbids multiple entries from the same person. You can then choose which schools will receive which letter(s). You more than likely won't "replace" the letter - schools will see both if you release both.

2) Like that. Abbreviate as necessary.
 
When you send your official transcript to AMCAS do they confirm that they have received it.

Answered previously. See below quote.

Yes, you'll receive an email with a subject line like "AMCAS Transcript Receipt Notification." When your application has been verified, you will receive another email with a subject line like "AMCAS Notification: Your application is now Processed."
 
1) Wtf? Sounds like a red flag to me - a letter based on your MCAT score? Regardless, you should be able to make a new entry with the new letter, unless AMCAS forbids multiple entries from the same person. You can then choose which schools will receive which letter(s). You more than likely won't "replace" the letter - schools will see both if you release both.



oh he is going to just tweak it. It won't be the major part of the letter. He is a dean, so there is no way he would write a letter based on my MCAT score lol. he would like to make a claim that I couldn't do well on verbal section cause I am foreign. If I do well this time, his statement will change that I overcame my lang barrier or something.

do you know #3?
(3) the grading system of my school changed in 2009 from A/B+/B system to A/A-/B+ system. How do I indicate that on AMCAS so that my B+ during A/B+/B time count as 3.5 instead of 3.3?
 
oh he is going to just tweak it. It won't be the major part of the letter. so that he can make a claim that I had trouble on verbal section cause I am foreign. If I do well this time, his statement will change.

It doesn't seem worth sending an updated letter just for this. His statement is correct, regardless; you locked in an MCAT exam with a certain verbal score and that won't change when your new score comes in. If it sufficiently improves, it should be able to stand on its own.

do you know #3?
(3) the grading system of my school changed in 2009 from A/B+/B system to A/A-/B+ system. How do I indicate that on AMCAS so that my B+ during A/B+/B time count as 3.5 instead of 3.3?

There is no space for you to indicate this. Your transcript should come with an explanation of both grading systems. You can only enter in grades exactly as they appear on your transcript.
 
I'm applying to several medical schools that of course require many science courses with labs...

The University I attended has my Microbiology, Anatomy, Physiology combined with the lab as one class. On the transcript it does not actually say Microbiology + Lab or Anatomy + Lab. I just says 'Microbiology' or abbreviated with the number without any actual 'lab' in the description.

How do they interpret that you have taken the actual lab? Is it automatically assumed through all medical schools that if it shows 4 credits that it includes a lab rather than 3?

Thanks
 
I'm applying to several medical schools that of course require many science courses with labs...

The University I attended has my Microbiology, Anatomy, Physiology combined with the lab as one class. On the transcript it does not actually say Microbiology + Lab or Anatomy + Lab. I just says 'Microbiology' or abbreviated with the number without any actual 'lab' in the description.

How do they interpret that you have taken the actual lab? Is it automatically assumed through all medical schools that if it shows 4 credits that it includes a lab rather than 3?

Thanks

From page 39 of the instruction manual:

Enter designations for all of your lab course work exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone familiar with quarter schools?

At my school, every single class is "100 units"
When entering courses into AMCAS, do I really type the number 100 into the credit hour blank? They say not to convert anything at all, so I assume yes.

Also, I have a W in a single course from a different college.
Next to the course it says CRED: 3.0, GR: W
but at the end of the transcript it says
Term Credits 0.0 GPA N/A
Cumulative Credits: 0.0 GPA N/A

So do I list 3 credits on AMCAS and since it's a W it won't count anyway so it won't matter?

------

well, i got bored and called AMCAS. in case anyone's wondering, enter "100" and enter "3", respectively, although since the course was a W, the credit hour box disappeared anyway...
 
Last edited:
(1) What happens if I send my transcript before entering all my grades?

(2) What happens if some of the courses' titles do not exactly match with the transcript?

ex) Intro to Music Literature --> Music Literature
Intro to Art History II --> Art History II
 
(1) What happens if I send my transcript before entering all my grades?

(2) What happens if some of the courses' titles do not exactly match with the transcript?

ex) Intro to Music Literature --> Music Literature
Intro to Art History II --> Art History II
1) Most people send in their transcripts before they're done applying. AMCAS will only look at your grades after you hit submit, as has been mentioned several times in this thread.
2) Enter the course titles EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript or your application might be returned to you. From the AMCAS instruction manual, page 38 (which you should read completely)
Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation.
The exception is if a class included a lab but the course title doesn't indicate this
 
How long does the AMCAS take to process my transcript? 2 weeks?

2) Enter the course titles EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript or your application might be returned to you. From the AMCAS instruction manual, page 38 (which you should read completely)

The exception is if a class included a lab but the course title doesn't indicate this

How do I know the exact name that appears on the transcript? Is the "Unofficial" transcript from eSIMs good enough? I think I took a course and the description (name?) of it from the unofficial transcript from eSIMs is " Msrmnts Mdlg & Cmpg" and my physics classes and just described as "General"....
 
How long does the AMCAS take to process my transcript? 2 weeks?



How do I know the exact name that appears on the transcript? Is the "Unofficial" transcript from eSIMs good enough? I think I took a course and the description (name?) of it from the unofficial transcript from eSIMs is " Msrmnts Mdlg & Cmpg" and my physics classes and just described as "General"....
It depends when you submit, but 2 weeks is a reasonable estimate.

From the AMCAS instruction manual (download it and read it completely. please)
It is important to request a personal copy of your official transcript(s) to use as a reference while entering your course work. Obtaining a copy of your transcript prior to completing this section helps ensure that your data is complete and accurate.
My understanding is that you would type in "Msrmnts Mdlg & Cmpg" if that's what's listed on your official transcript, even though that's a pretty crazy abbreviation
 
Status
Not open for further replies.