*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does the AMCAS take to process my transcript? 2 weeks?

Depends. If you submit early, it will be faster. I submitted my application in mid-June and it took four weeks to process.

How do I know the exact name that appears on the transcript? Is the "Unofficial" transcript from eSIMs good enough? I think I took a course and the description (name?) of it from the unofficial transcript from eSIMs is " Msrmnts Mdlg & Cmpg" and my physics classes and just described as "General"....

That may be close enough. If there is an option for you to request a student copy of your transcript (in my experience, this is the same thing that is sent as the official transcript, only with "STUDENT COPY" plastered over it somehow), that may be better, as it would presumably be identical to what AMCAS will receive.

Members don't see this ad.

All of my transcrips have been recieved and I have copletely filled out my applciation. Am I allowed to sumbit before June 1st with hopes of them varifying my transcripts early maybe?

All of my transcrips have been recieved and I have copletely filled out my applciation. Am I allowed to sumbit before June 1st with hopes of them varifying my transcripts early maybe?
No.

Cool your jets. They won't send your application to ANY schools until June 17 anyway, so even when you hit "submit" on June 1, you'll still end up being transmitted on the very first day (June 17)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clear up how exactly I can submit my transcript?

I have requested a transcript from my university's registrar. However, I notice the form that needs to accompany the transcript when sent to AMCAS. Do I need to do something special to have the registrar mail it for me? Do I need to go through my health professions office? Thank you

Can someone clear up how exactly I can submit my transcript?

I have requested a transcript from my university's registrar. However, I notice the form that needs to accompany the transcript when sent to AMCAS. Do I need to do something special to have the registrar mail it for me? Do I need to go through my health professions office? Thank you
Bring it to your university's registrar and ask them to submit it with the transcript. I believe my university did this easily -- but I emailed it to other schools that I took summer courses with asking them to submit it with my transcript [never even got a response to my email]. I have no idea if they did! Additionally, the first time I applied, i didn't even bother with the transcript request form. Regardless, I have a pretty common name and all my transcripts were able to be IDed as mine by AMCAS -- both cycles.

Hey if I submit the AMCAS primary app during the first week of June, what must be completed?

*Personal Statement
*Letters of Evaluation Requests
*Transcript Requests
*Biographical information
*GPA and Class information
*MCAT scores or list future MCAT date

This is a basic summary of what needs to be completed in the primary right? What else am I leaving out?

Also, when do the letters of rec and transcripts need to be in? Is it the same time as the Supplementary or secondary due date?

Thanks for your help; SDN is a valuable resource for students like me.

Hey if I submit the AMCAS primary app during the first week of June, what must be completed?

*Personal Statement
*Transcript Requests

This is a basic summary of what needs to be completed in the primary right? What else am I leaving out?

Also, when do the letters of rec and transcripts need to be in? Is it the same time as the Supplementary or secondary due date?

It's easier to say what DOESN'T need to be done early.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147906/aftersub_shared_2.2.html
Transcripts have to be in or you can't submit your primary. How is AMCAS supposed to verify your coursework and determine your GPAs without them? LORs have to be done to complete secondaries, not primary application

Do you enter IP under grades if your classes are still in progress, or do you just leave in blank and do something else?

Do you enter IP under grades if your classes are still in progress, or do you just leave in blank and do something else?
just leave blank. Mark that the class is "in progress" or "future"

No.

Cool your jets. They won't send your application to ANY schools until June 17 anyway, so even when you hit "submit" on June 1, you'll still end up being transmitted on the very first day (June 17)

wait so what do we do during that lag time? or what happens during that lag time?

sorry for the spam, but is there a list out there that exists that tell you which schools don't give you an automatic secondary? like i know mayo doesn't but are there other schools as well?

wait so what do we do during that lag time? or what happens during that lag time?
Um I dunno. What did you do before you were applying to medical school? I don't know why there's a lag time, but it's there.

You can start working on essays for secondaries. Just find the prompts in the school-specific application threads and hope that they didn't change for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um I dunno. What did you do before you were applying to medical school? I don't know why there's a lag time, but it's there.

You can start working on essays for secondaries. Just find the prompts in the school-specific application threads and hope that they didn't change for this cycle.

haha sorry i should've been more specific.

what's going on with our application during that 2 week lag phase?

so say you submit june 1st (and AMCAS gets your transcripts before that date and they've processed it and what not) - AMCAS starts looking over your grades and everything to make sure it's all right starting on that day?

and it takes them two weeks to get your app verified and then they'll send it out starting june 17th?

Merging related threads

*Personal Statement
*Transcript Requests

It's easier to say what DOESN'T need to be done early.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147906/aftersub_shared_2.2.html
Transcripts have to be in or you can't submit your primary. How is AMCAS supposed to verify your coursework and determine your GPAs without them? LORs have to be done to complete secondaries, not primary application

For extracurriculars like a dance class, do you need to put a reference? Are all these references contacted or would they only contact high-ranked activity references?
Thanks!

For purposes of AMCAS course work, what would an Epidemiology class be considered?

Biology? Health Sciences? Other?

Thanks

For purposes of AMCAS course work, what would an Epidemiology class be considered?

What about a pharmacology class that has the title "Physiology of Drug Interactions"? Biology? or Health Science?

Thanks

1)

The exception is if a class included a lab but the course title doesn't indicate this

Wait, where does it say to indicate a lab in the course name? I thought you just wrote "Gen Chem" and clicked the "included lab" button.

Is it possible to be rejected after submitting primary, but before mcat scores are received? Or would they wait for scores before making a decision?
Also, if you submit June 1 without MCAT, does your spot in queue get preserved near the top vs a July 1 applicant? I assume mcat scores automatically get sent to AAMCAS for free once in?

Thanks

no one will make a decision on your app until it is complete. that means until after MCAT scores are in. that is one thing that your secondary fee earns you, everywhere.

MCAT scores have no impact on your verification timeline, so once you submit, your place in the queue is secure. schools however will wait until the scores post to consider you, so if the scores don't pop up until August, then no, you have not preserved the June "advantage."

your scores will be imported into AMCAS and sent to schools automatically and at no charge, yes.

Wait, where does it say to indicate a lab in the course name? I thought you just wrote "Gen Chem" and clicked the "included lab" button.
Mauberly quoted this on the previous page.
AMCAS instruction manual, page 39
Enter designations for all of your lab course work exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?"

A couple of people have asked this earlier in the thread and I, too, am looking for an answer:

My school doesn't offer minors, but we do have certificates ( example ). Should these be listed as a minor? If not, how should we include these in our application?

A couple of people have asked this earlier in the thread and I, too, am looking for an answer:

My school doesn't offer minors, but we do have certificates ( example ). Should these be listed as a minor? If not, how should we include these in our application?

Sounds suspiciously like a minor. I would list it as such.

Is it possible to be rejected after submitting primary, but before mcat scores are received? Or would they wait for scores before making a decision?
Also, if you submit June 1 without MCAT, does your spot in queue get preserved near the top vs a July 1 applicant? I assume mcat scores automatically get sent to AAMCAS for free once in?

Thanks

your primaries wont even be processed without the mcat

I imagine if your GPA was in the garbage they would reject you.

no one will make a decision on your app until it is complete. that means until after MCAT scores are in. that is one thing that your secondary fee earns you, everywhere.

MCAT scores have no impact on your verification timeline, so once you submit, your place in the queue is secure. schools however will wait until the scores post to consider you, so if the scores don't pop up until August, then no, you have not preserved the June "advantage."

your scores will be imported into AMCAS and sent to schools automatically and at no charge, yes.

Thanks everyone!

Merging with AMCAS Mega-thread

if you "mis-classify" a course would this delay the verification? if yes, how long?

I have been going to school on and off for several years since I graduated from high school. I have a couple of semesters where I completely withdrew from all of my courses and subsequently received Ws for each class. I called AMCAS today asking how to enter these according to what "Year in School" I was in at the time. The representative told me that if I have withdrawn from an entire semester I do not have to enter any of the classes into AMCAS. He said that withdrawn courses only have to be entered if they are in the same semester as other courses that have been completed. Has anyone else run into this situation?

Thanks in advance.

In terms of entering course names,
The AAMC instruction manual says "Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number in the designated fields. If
the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation."

Some of my courses abbreviate culture as "cul" and society as "soc", and the rest of the course name/title wouldn't let someone know what those abbreviations are likely to be.

I googled "entering course work amcas abbreviations" and found an AAMC-released powerpoint (from www.aamc.org/students/download/1840...ppU9jdyu3hbjDTWgQ&sig2=aq2i_DIOqpShXjMMp-w6DQ which is an aamc address...)

The PPT says "If the Course Name is abbreviated on the transcript, you may enter the abbreviation or the full name."

So I can enter Cul as Culture and Soc as Society, right?

Anyway, thought the PPT might be helpful to other people

In terms of entering course names,
The AAMC instruction manual says "Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number in the designated fields. If
the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation."

Some of my courses abbreviate culture as "cul" and society as "soc", and the rest of the course name/title wouldn't let someone know what those abbreviations are likely to be.

I googled "entering course work amcas abbreviations" and found an AAMC-released powerpoint (from www.aamc.org/students/download/1840...ppU9jdyu3hbjDTWgQ&sig2=aq2i_DIOqpShXjMMp-w6DQ which is an aamc address...)

The PPT says "If the Course Name is abbreviated on the transcript, you may enter the abbreviation or the full name."

So I can enter Cul as Culture and Soc as Society, right?

Anyway, thought the PPT might be helpful to other people

Yes, but only do so if necessary. "Cul" and "soc" are pretty obvious abbreviations.

Yea, I guess. It's called Sci/Cul/Soc: Modern Science. Leave it as it?

Also, for study abroad coursework. My university has a center abroad, and we took classes there. No foreign institution was involved in the slightest - our professors even came abroad from our college to the center. It's all on my transcript, but the course titles don't indicate that it was study abroad.

So pretty much nothing in the "study abroad" part of the AMCAS instructions applies to my situation right?

Yea, I guess. It's called Sci/Cul/Soc: Modern Science. Leave it as it?

Also, for study abroad coursework. My university has a center abroad, and we took classes there. No foreign institution was involved in the slightest - our professors even came abroad from our college to the center. It's all on my transcript, but the course titles don't indicate that it was study abroad.

So pretty much nothing in the "study abroad" part of the AMCAS instructions applies to my situation right?

I would. I highly doubt you're going to get many questions on specific courses, so it's really not all that important that the adcoms know what every single course is. This is of course my opinion, so do what you will. I would just put it as it's listed on your transcript to minimize getting screwed around by AMCAS.

Kind of a silly question, but I couldn't find this anywhere (makes sense that schools wouldn't tell you lol) - what is the proper way to withdraw from a school to which you've been accepted but don't plan on attending? Do you do this via AMCAS or AAMC, or simply send the school an e-mail, or a letter or phone call? Thanks!

An email to admissions of the school would suffice.

What about a pharmacology class that has the title "Physiology of Drug Interactions"? Biology? or Health Science?

Thanks

sorry to bust the bubble but i think it goes under "Other" because it's allied health according to the manual (because it falls under public health). but let me know if you find out otherwise b/c i'm an epi grad student!

This might be a stupid question, but I will take the flak for it.

I sent the transcript request via my registrar last week and they said the transcripts would go to AMCAS the following day. That being said, how does one determine if AMCAS has received the transcripts and if they are being processed? Or does transcript cross-referencing only take place after submission of the application?

This might be a stupid question, but I will take the flak for it.

I sent the transcript request via my registrar last week and they said the transcripts would go to AMCAS the following day. That being said, how does one determine if AMCAS has received the transcripts and if they are being processed? Or does transcript cross-referencing only take place after submission of the application?

Last year AMCAS sent emails when a transcript was received. I don't know if that's how they're doing it this year.

Bring it to your university's registrar and ask them to submit it with the transcript. I believe my university did this easily -- but I emailed it to other schools that I took summer courses with asking them to submit it with my transcript [never even got a response to my email]. I have no idea if they did! Additionally, the first time I applied, i didn't even bother with the transcript request form. Regardless, I have a pretty common name and all my transcripts were able to be IDed as mine by AMCAS -- both cycles.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Are you a tiger fan as well? If I wasn't going into medicine I'd want to go into tiger conservation (really hope tigers are around to conserve by the time I retire). I'm not a big fan of "stuff" so my gf adopted a tiger in my name for my bday haha. Awesome present IMO

im asking this again (please reply): if you misclassify a course, will this delay the verification or have any other negative consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.