*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im asking this again (please reply): if you misclassify a course, will this delay the verification or have any other negative consequences?

No - when your application is verified, there will just be a mark indicating that the original course information that you entered was altered. I had a couple of these and nothing bad happened.
 
yes you can contest it by submitting some change form, they have 5 or something business days to deal with it (can't remember exact details but it's in the giant pdf). i wouldnt think it would delay much more than that bc this is after your big verification process so it's just a matter of fixing/settling that one thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can you contest the changes they make? now will that be a cause of delay?
You should read the AMCAS instruction manual, page 10

Academic Change Requests
To request changes to updates made by AMCAS during the verification process, you must submit a request using the Academic Change Request option on the right side of the Main Menu screen. This option will only become available after your application has completed the verification process. Allow up to five (5) business days for AMCAS to review and/or process any change request.
When requesting a course classification change, please copy and paste the course description from the school's website and include the URL where it can be found.
Yes, your application will be slightly delayed. It probably won't make a big difference. If you submit June 1, you'll probably be verified pretty quick. Then you can see what courses AMCAS changed and submit the Academic Change Request. You might even be able to complete all of that stuff before June 17 when applications can be first sent off to schools. Either way, 5 days isn't a huge delay
[ETA:what fizzgig said]
 
Last edited:
thank you so much guys...i didnt know about the 5 business days thing...so thats an assurance!

btw..the reason i ask is that i took a course in epidemiology that was offered in the dept. of public health but i'm gonna categorize the course as Math since it was really an applied math/stats course...not a health course. we did statistics problems the entire time...

anyways...thanks again
 
Anyone know how to classify classes you took while in high school? I took two courses in high school that counted as college credit. The classes were over the course of a year (sept 07-june 08), but show up on my transcript as Fall 07. Anyone know what I would put for the start/end time for this college?
 
Anyone know how to classify classes you took while in high school? I took two courses in high school that counted as college credit. The classes were over the course of a year (sept 07-june 08), but show up on my transcript as Fall 07. Anyone know what I would put for the start/end time for this college?

There is a section for High School.
 
I mean I actually have college credit and a transcript at a college for these credits, therefore, this transcript has to be sent to AMCAS and I have to report this college as an institution I attended. I am just unsure of what to put for the start/end time.
 
Hey yall,

I took two math classes in high school at a local university (Diff Equ and Calc III), and got credit for both. Then I went to college (not the same one), and decided to waive my Diff Equ credit and retake it at my university, because I am a physics major and all my advisors told me to do so (ended up being pointless, but thats another story). So that's what I ended up doing.

Question is: Do I report both my Diff Equ class I took in high school and the one I took in college for AMCAS?
 
I mean I actually have college credit and a transcript at a college for these credits, therefore, this transcript has to be sent to AMCAS and I have to report this college as an institution I attended. I am just unsure of what to put for the start/end time.

So you took classes after the fall of '07? But you're saying they are still included in the fall '07 semester on your transcript?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merging related threads

Hey yall,

I took two math classes in high school at a local university (Diff Equ and Calc III), and got credit for both. Then I went to college (not the same one), and decided to waive my Diff Equ credit and retake it at my university, because I am a physics major and all my advisors told me to do so (ended up being pointless, but thats another story). So that's what I ended up doing.

Question is: Do I report both my Diff Equ class I took in high school and the one I took in college for AMCAS?

yes. you have to list all classes you took at all schools, even repeats

Cool. Do you know if both of them count towards my GPA?

I believe they both will

Yes they will.

nice!

thanks!
 
I have a question. I came into freshman year with more AP credits than I could actually take (I was limited to only 30 credits), what do I do for those classes that are clearly listed on my transcript but have no credit for. Do I just ignore them and include only the ones I got credit for? I'm a little confused.
 
I have a question. I came into freshman year with more AP credits than I could actually take (I was limited to only 30 credits), what do I do for those classes that are clearly listed on my transcript but have no credit for. Do I just ignore them and include only the ones I got credit for? I'm a little confused.

List them as they appear on your transcript.
 
great! thank you so much! this thing is confusing. i just got my transcript today and from looking at the course classification guide to the instruction manual, i'm going at a turtle's pace here.

You're not the first and won't be the last. 🙂 Good luck.
 
I took two classes at my high school for the entire year (sept. 2007-june 2008), and I then paid to get college credit for these two classes. On my college transcript the two classes are listed under Fall 2007.

So you took classes after the fall of '07? But you're saying they are still included in the fall '07 semester on your transcript?
 
I took two classes at my high school for the entire year (sept. 2007-june 2008), and I then paid to get college credit for these two classes. On my college transcript the two classes are listed under Fall 2007.

So you only have two entries on your transcript? Regardless, if you were attending classes there for the entire year, then I would list the dates you gave above as the start/end date of attendance.
 
ok one more question,
it says that each academic term should be about 30ish credits and well, obviouly my ap took care of that and i assigned FR as 2007-2008 with those ap credits.

however, when i'm done with my ap, do i assign the classes i took freshman year as FR or SO? It says 2LS on my transcript for my fresh. yr classes since i'm technically classified as 2nd year by credits. problem is, the term year (2007-2008) and the status (SO) conflicts since i already assigned freshman year as 2007-2008. so, what do i do? my transcript is problematic, i apologize
 
ok one more question,
it says that each academic term should be about 30ish credits and well, obviouly my ap took care of that and i assigned FR as 2007-2008 with those ap credits.

however, when i'm done with my ap, do i assign the classes i took freshman year as FR or SO? It says 2LS on my transcript for my fresh. yr classes since i'm technically classified as 2nd year by credits. problem is, the term year (2007-2008) and the status (SO) conflicts since i already assigned freshman year as 2007-2008. so, what do i do? my transcript is problematic, i apologize

What year did you take your AP credits?

Edit: never mind. I would think you just advance to SO status for your actual courses and move on from there. I don't think the status and term year have to advance in lockstep.
 
Last edited:
I had a question regarding marking a class as "repeat". I took a quarter of general chemistry in 1998 at a local community college while in high school and have reported that under my course work. I then went on to do engineering for a degree (never had to take any more gen chem) and worked in the field for a while. I returned to school 2 years ago and went through the entire general chemistry series from the start. Would I need to list Gen Chem I the second time around as a 'repeat'. They were at different institutions, 10+ years apart, and I got 4.0's both times I took the class. They didn't even cover the exact same material. I did enter both classes in the course work section. I was going to mark the second time as 'Repeat' just to play it safe but then when I selected that check box a big warning came up saying that if I didn't list the original course work that it would cause delays in my applications... since they're at different institutions separated by so much time I was worried it would cause confusion on their end when they verify my application.

Any thoughts?
 
What year did you take your AP credits?

some were junior year but most of them were senior year of high school. but under my transcript, ap creds were listed fall 2007. basically my school made me look like a super senior with 4 semesters of being a senior 🙁
 
What year did you take your AP credits?

Edit: never mind. I would think you just advance to SO status for your actual courses and move on from there. I don't think the status and term year have to advance in lockstep.

oh. because the instruction manual said don't assign more than 1 status to a year term so i got confused. i don't want to look inaccurate by having the wrong status OR the wrong term. and then there's the issue of having 4 semester of my senior year according to my transcript.

should i just go to my pre-health advisor for this?
 
oh. because the instruction manual said don't assign more than 1 status to a year term so i got confused. i don't want to look inaccurate by having the wrong status OR the wrong term. and then there's the issue of having 4 semester of my senior year according to my transcript.

should i just go to my pre-health advisor for this?

I won't stop you. 😉 Anyway, the manual says not to assign more than one status to a term, not year. (Year: '07-08, term: fall/winter/spring/whatever). So as soon as you move out of the first semester/quarter/trimester/whatever, you can advance to SO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a question regarding marking a class as "repeat". I took a quarter of general chemistry in 1998 at a local community college while in high school and have reported that under my course work. I then went on to do engineering for a degree (never had to take any more gen chem) and worked in the field for a while. I returned to school 2 years ago and went through the entire general chemistry series from the start. Would I need to list Gen Chem I the second time around as a 'repeat'. They were at different institutions, 10+ years apart, and I got 4.0's both times I took the class. They didn't even cover the exact same material. I did enter both classes in the course work section. I was going to mark the second time as 'Repeat' just to play it safe but then when I selected that check box a big warning came up saying that if I didn't list the original course work that it would cause delays in my applications... since they're at different institutions separated by so much time I was worried it would cause confusion on their end when they verify my application.

Any thoughts?

I don't think it's a technical repeat of a course, since as you said it's at two different institutions. Since you are including both courses on your transcript, I think you should be fine. (For what it's worth, a search of SDN doesn't turn up any more definite responses.) I'd recommend calling AAMC to confirm this, however.
 
Yes, I have only two entries on my transcript. These were taken as a program at my high school with the state college. The courses were taken at my high school. Since high school courses last an entire year, I took the courses lasted an entire year. I then went to a different university, so these are the only two courses I have on that transcript. However, they are only listed on my transcript as Fall 07.

Sorry this is so confusing, I am just really confused on what to list for the start/end time, because if I list sept. 07- june 07, wouldn't med schools wonder why I have no classes at that institution for spring 07?

So you only have two entries on your transcript? Regardless, if you were attending classes there for the entire year, then I would list the dates you gave above as the start/end date of attendance.
 
What if on your transcript the courses you took as a freshman are listed first for your first semester, and then the AP credits are listed underneath those, but for the same semester. I am graduating a year early, so my AP credits are technically my freshman year. How would I enter this? If I entered them all I would have around 60 credits for my first semester, and then I wouldn't really have a sophomore year.
 
Yes, I have only two entries on my transcript. These were taken as a program at my high school with the state college. The courses were taken at my high school. Since high school courses last an entire year, I took the courses lasted an entire year. I then went to a different university, so these are the only two courses I have on that transcript. However, they are only listed on my transcript as Fall 07.

Sorry this is so confusing, I am just really confused on what to list for the start/end time, because if I list sept. 07- june 07, wouldn't med schools wonder why I have no classes at that institution for spring 07?

I personally don't think this detail will be scrutinized that heavily by med schools. However, perhaps for peace of mind, you should call up the registrar at the institution you took those classes at and get clarification on why the courses are only listed as occupying one term.
 
What if on your transcript the courses you took as a freshman are listed first for your first semester, and then the AP credits are listed underneath those, but for the same semester. I am graduating a year early, so my AP credits are technically my freshman year. How would I enter this? If I entered them all I would have around 60 credits for my first semester, and then I wouldn't really have a sophomore year.

You would enter it as you described. AP credits granted when entering college are listed under your first term of your freshman year.

I don't see what the problem is. You're graduating early, so one of the years won't be used.
 
Couple of quick questions:

1. I have about 30 hours that I took at a community college. I listed two schools: my primary school and the community college. For the community college, I listed all of the classes I took there. Do I need to list all of them under my primary school as well because they appear on my transcript as transfer credits without an assigned grade.

2. What is the proper way to list credit received via AP exams?

Thanks!
 
Please first consult the instruction manual to see if your questions are answered there.

1. I have about 30 hours that I took at a community college. I listed two schools: my primary school and the community college. For the community college, I listed all of the classes I took there. Do I need to list all of them under my primary school as well because they appear on my transcript as transfer credits without an assigned grade.

Page 36 of the instruction manual:

Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, say you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took "Intro to Pottery" at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the "Schools Attended" section of the application (and request a transcript for it) and add "Intro to Pottery" as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there.
2. What is the proper way to list credit received via AP exams?

Thanks!

Page 37:

Assign Freshman (FR) status to Advanced Placement, Exempt, or CLEP credit awarded when you first entered college.

Also consult page 41.
 
Is there a way you tell them to send the transcript to AMCAS?

Also, do you have to have already submitted your application before you send in your transcripts?
Or if you already have a file open, do they accept them?

Regarding transcript verification, would they process the transcript before you "submit" your application?
 
Is there a way you tell them to send the transcript to AMCAS?

Please refer to page 22 of the instruction manual. You print out transcript request forms for each of the institutions you attended, which are passed on to the registrars at those institutions when you request transcripts. The specific mechanism by which you do so is school-specific.

Also, do you have to have already submitted your application before you send in your transcripts?
Or if you already have a file open, do they accept them?

You can send your transcripts before you have submitted your application. You must have started an application, of course.

Regarding transcript verification, would they process the transcript before you "submit" your application?

No. They are not processing transcripts. They are processing your application, in which you enter your grades. The transcripts are used to confirm that you have entered them correctly and to make changes as needed.

As Renaissance Man indicated, these questions have already been answered. Your first step should always be to consult the sticked thread at the top of the forum when you have any questions about the process.
 
Is there a way you tell them to send the transcript to AMCAS?

Also, do you have to have already submitted your application before you send in your transcripts?
Or if you already have a file open, do they accept them?

Regarding transcript verification, would they process the transcript before you "submit" your application?

There is literally an entire thread entitled ****Official AMCAS Questions**** a few rows down....

Please refer to page 22 of the instruction manual. You print out transcript request forms for each of the institutions you attended, which are passed on to the registrars at those institutions when you request transcripts. The specific mechanism by which you do so is school-specific.



You can send your transcripts before you have submitted your application. You must have started an application, of course.



No. They are not processing transcripts. They are processing your application, in which you enter your grades. The transcripts are used to confirm that you have entered them correctly and to make changes as needed.

As Renaissance Man indicated, these questions have already been answered. Your first step should always be to consult the sticked thread at the top of the forum when you have any questions about the process.


Merging with AMCAS thread.
 
Hey Y'all,

I have finished most of my online aamc application and want to send it out to schools early june, but one of the professors writing me a LoR is being a serious slow poke. Can I send that letter to schools after I submit my application or must I wait till it comes in before I send out my app to schools?
Thanks dudes and dudets
 
Hey Y'all,

I have finished most of my online aamc application and want to send it out to schools early june, but one of the professors writing me a LoR is being a serious slow poke. Can I send that letter to schools after I submit my application or must I wait till it comes in before I send out my app to schools?
Thanks dudes and dudets

You don't need to wait. You can submit your application already. You could create a placeholder letter for your professor before you submit, if you like; that way you don't need to make a post-submission change to add the letter (though it won't affect the processing of your application).

Page 70 of the instruction manual:

Make certain that you have thoroughly reviewed your application prior to submitting, noting that after the initial submission of your application, you can only make changes to the following sections:
Required and Alternate IDs.
Name, including Full Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
Contact Information including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
Alternate Contact Information.
Date of Birth and Sex.
Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent).
Next MCAT testing date.
Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines and restrictions apply).
Release application information to your pre-health advisor.
 
When do we update schools with the grades from this semester? My grades won't be updated on my transcript until late next week and already sent my old one in. Kind of afraid I hiccuped a little this semester...
 
thanks mauberley im glad to find this out. BTW thanks for reading my personal statement 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merging related threads
Hey Y'all,

I have finished most of my online aamc application and want to send it out to schools early june, but one of the professors writing me a LoR is being a serious slow poke. Can I send that letter to schools after I submit my application or must I wait till it comes in before I send out my app to schools?
Thanks dudes and dudets

You don't need to wait. You can submit your application already. You could create a placeholder letter for your professor before you submit, if you like; that way you don't need to make a post-submission change to add the letter (though it won't affect the processing of your application).

Page 70 of the instruction manual:

thanks mauberley im glad to find this out. BTW thanks for reading my personal statement 😀
 
At my uni, a bio/writing course called "BIO 100LW: Experimental Biology Lab" counted as a part of my writing requirement (the rest was fulfilled with 2 quarters of writing courses). I was going to choose "biology" for its course classification, but I found this...

If you plan to use a course as fulfillment of an English prerequisite and this course was completed in a department other than English, you should classify it as English. You may also need to include follow-up information with your supplemental applications.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/school/Med School App 10-11/Application FAQs 10-11.pdf (Q10, bottom of pg 3)

Has anyone had any experience with this?
 
What's the general consensus on listing a dangerous hobby (e.g. motorcycling) as an ec? Should I avoid it?
 
I did some searching but couldn't find much of an answer.

If you take summer classes, do they count towards the following year? For example I just finished my sophomore year but I am taking summer courses this summer, will these count towards sophomore or junior?

I am a bit confused because the above seems to be the case but somebody mentioned that AMCAS categorizes by number of credits and that they consider 27-35 credits to count as one academic year. This is the breakdown I've seen:

Freshman- 0-32 credits
Sophomore- 31-64 credits
Junior- 61-96 credits
Senior- 91+ credits

So how would my classes be categorized? I'm trying to calculate my yearly GPA.

Fall 09/Spring 10: completed 27 credits
Summer 10: completed 11 credits
Fall 10/Spring 11: completed 31 credits
Summer 11: registered for 9 credits

So would Summer '10 classes count towards sophomore gpa? With Summer 10, Fall 10, and Spring 11 counted as sophomore credits, that comes out to 42 credits though which is more than the 27-35 that AMCAS considers to be "one academic year". I'm confused. :[
 
Last edited:
I did some searching but couldn't find much of an answer.

If you take summer classes, do they count towards the following year? For example I just finished my sophomore year but I am taking summer courses this summer, will these count towards sophomore or junior?

I am a bit confused because the above seems to be the case but somebody mentioned that AMCAS categorizes by number of credits and that they consider 27-35 credits to count as one academic year. This is the breakdown I've seen:

Freshman- 0-32 credits
Sophomore- 31-64 credits
Junior- 61-96 credits
Senior- 91+ credits

So how would my classes be categorized? I'm trying to calculate my yearly GPA.

Fall 09/Spring 10: completed 27 credits
Summer 10: completed 11 credits
Fall 10/Spring 11: completed 31 credits
Summer 11: registered for 9 credits

So would Summer '10 classes count towards sophomore gpa? With Summer 10, Fall 10, and Spring 11 counted as sophomore credits, that comes out to 42 credits though which is more than the 27-35 that AMCAS considers to be "one academic year". I'm confused. :[
Merging with AMCAS thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.