*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I was told, no it shouldn't mess up your verification process, if you already submitted the application in. I did the same thing as well.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Need an error on my AMCAS addressed- I said a transcript was required for the institution I attend now, though I only just started my first class there. I submitted my AMCAS today but now my application is being held up because I erroneously marked that a transcript was required.

Calling AMCAS tomorrow but freaking out right now that I'll have to wait another couple weeks for processing since I will have to send a transcript from this institution (with no grades yet).

I have a question about how my MCAT score shows up on my AMCAS application. Back when I submitted, I put that I was expecting an MCAT date on 5/23/13. I took the MCAT, and my scores were uploaded. However, I noticed that on my "Print application" summary page that I still had an "Addl 2013 MCAT Intent Date: 05/23/2013", in addition to my ALREADY uploaded 5/23 score.

My concern is that schools will put my application on hold since it says I have an expected date...even though I already took it!

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
already submitted. forgot to include a research project i did, implementing an electronic breast cancer screening questionnaire for a nearby medical foundation. hmm... :confused:

I just received an email from Virtualevals saying my letter was posted by my advisor and that it is accessible to AMCAS, but AMCAS is still saying it's not received...does it take time for AMCAS to update its system or should I be contacting some people to rectify this? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

I am on a bunch of waitlists right now and its hard to say if I will hear back or not. I have promising news from some schools but of course nothing is guaranteed. Since it is getting late into July, I thought I would submit my AMCAS anyway.

But because of the hope from some schools, I am reluctant to dish out the close to 1000 dollars on my new AMCAS.

My question is, if I were to submit my AMCAS with just one school on it, would that be ok? That would give me the entire month during verification to hear back from schools and if I don't, I can just immediately add my remaining schools in mid- August, as soon as my AMCAS is verified. Is that a normal thing? Or will the medical schools I add late see this and will it be used against my application?

That seems completely logical and acceptable. Schools don't know where you are applying via AMCAS (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html)

already submitted. forgot to include a research project i did, implementing an electronic breast cancer screening questionnaire for a nearby medical foundation. hmm... :confused:

Nothing you can do about the primary now, don't sweat it. This is a great thing you can write about in "anything else?" essays on secondaries.

I have a similar issue on my own AMCAS work/activities section. I listed my shadowing experience and thought I saved it, but it must have timed me out because I noticed to my horror that Shadowing was not among my Work/ Activities once I had already submitted. :( !!!

Could I simply contact the schools and send them an email update with the description?

Hey guys, I enrolled in an SMP after submitting my primaries. Didn't include future coursework. Is there anything I can do to fix that? Will this hurt me? Kinda freaking out.

Hey guys, I enrolled in an SMP after submitting my primaries. Didn't include future coursework. Is there anything I can do to fix that? Will this hurt me? Kinda freaking out.

A lot of secondaries will ask what you're doing this year if you aren't doing undergrad stuff anymore. You can talk about your SMP there.

Question:

I worked as an Archival Research Intern for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra from June to August 2012 and I SUBMITTED AMCAS WITH THE WRONG END DATE. I'm mad at myself... I put June 2012 to August 2013.

I have a year of scientific research and I listed this experience as research also, because it was research, just a different type of research. But what was really only 2.5 months of research turned into something over 1 year long.

What should I do?...... *sigh*...... Is this even a big deal? Is there any place in secondaries I can or should address this mistake?

Question about the rolling admission... obviously the quicker you give in your application, the better your chances are because they look at your application first.

My questions are

1) do they look at your application at all (besides basic screening) before they receive a secondary back from you? Or do they start once they receive your seconday

2) When everyone says the earlier the better, do they look at it in the order of when the primaries were submitted or the order in which secondaries were submitted? Meaning let's say Person A submitted their primary in June but didnt finish their secondaries till August 15th whereas Person B submitted their primary in July and submitted secondaries on August 1st... who gets priority?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the rolling admission... obviously the quicker you give in your application, the better your chances are because they look at your application first.

My questions are

1) do they look at your application at all (besides basic screening) before they receive a secondary back from you? Or do they start once they receive your seconday

2) When everyone says the earlier the better, do they look at it in the order of when the primaries were submitted or the order in which secondaries were submitted? Meaning let's say Person A submitted their primary in June but didnt finish their secondaries till August 15th whereas Person B submitted their primary in July and submitted secondaries on August 1st... who gets priority?

From my understanding:

1. No. No human is going to look at your application until you are completed at that school. This means your primary is verified, MCAT and LORs are received, and secondary is submitted. (Computers determine if you get a secondary.) Until then, no school will invest precious man hours into looking over other data like EC's or PS.

2. Once again, it's all based on when your application is complete at the individual school (primary is verified, MCAT and LORs are received, and secondary is submitted). Your primary takes 1 month to be verified and sent off to schools. This is why everyone says apply early, because you should aim to be completed at your schools by mid-August. Both Person A and B will probably end up being complete at the school around mid-August, so they're both in the same boat. There is no significant "priority" here.

Come on AMCAS... Almost to verification of 20 June apps...

Edit: Verified today (24Jul)!!! Here we go... Good luck everyone

Last edited:
question!

On my submitted amcas I have an unresolved "I" or incomplete grade, which wasn't calculated in my gpa on amcas.

Now that it's resolved and replaced by an "A" on my official transcript, should I do anything about it, like send an update letter? or do you think medical schools would ignore this one grade?

P.S. I recalculated my gpa after the grade change, and nothing changed.

question!

On my submitted amcas I have an unresolved "I" or incomplete grade, which wasn't calculated in my gpa on amcas.

Now that it's resolved and replaced by an "A" on my official transcript, should I do anything about it, like send an update letter? or do you think medical schools would ignore this one grade?

P.S. I recalculated my gpa after the grade change, and nothing changed.

Just send an update letter to the schools you applied to.

I am just now adding my LORs to AMCAS after submitting the primary earlier this month. They say it doesn't delay the processing of your application, but it's making me "complete and submit" the application again. Is that normal for just adding LORs / will my submission date still remain the earlier date or is this changing it? A little confused.

I am just now adding my LORs to AMCAS after submitting the primary earlier this month. They say it doesn't delay the processing of your application, but it's making me "complete and submit" the application again. Is that normal for just adding LORs / will my submission date still remain the earlier date or is this changing it? A little confused.

Your submission date still remains the same.

Ah, okay. Just seems a little weird how they make you "resubmit" it.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Yeah, it is a little weird and frustrating that you have to resubmit it for each school you add the letter to. I wish there was an option to add the letter to every school and just resubmit once.

BTW I know it is late to submit primaries now but I was waiting for my MCAT score to come out to decide whether I should schedule a rewrite. I'm planning to submit this Sunday the 28th. Assuming that I will have all my secondaries prewritten next month when my primary awaits verification and will submit them ASAP once verification is complete (which puts the completion date to early-mid September), is this going to be very late and disadvantageous or still middle of the game? TIA.

Ok. checking this with you guys.
I got an A+ marked as an A- by the verifier, that's a mistake worth fixing right? 4.0 vs 3.7, right?

edit: i guess what i'm asking is, is there any downside to submitting an academic change request? additional wait, etc?

edit: i submitted the academic change request and it was fixed in a day. no downside from what i can see.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I was 0.5% away from an A in a core class, but since my school doesn't use +/-, it counts as a B. I have a course performance report from the instructor stating that it would've been a very strong B+ in a +/- institution 1.) Can I send the report with my transcript to AMCAS or the med school adcom? 2.) Could the verifier mark it as a B+ even if it appears as a B on the official transcript?

Thanks!

So, I've already been verified, but I'm waiting on my MCAT score. Does AMCAS automatically submit to my assigned schools once I receive my score? Do I have to do anything extra?

Hello, I have a question for you guys in terms of course classification:

For classes like Neuropharm / Pharmacology and Nutrition, at my school, they are both listed under BIOL. However, according to AMCAS, Pharmacology / Nutrition is not part of BPCM.

If its listed under BIOL would it still be BPCM? Both Pharm classes are 4000 level, and Nutrition is a 1000 level class.

Thanks!

Hello, I have a question for you guys in terms of course classification:

For classes like Neuropharm / Pharmacology and Nutrition, at my school, they are both listed under BIOL. However, according to AMCAS, Pharmacology / Nutrition is not part of BPCM.

If its listed under BIOL would it still be BPCM? Both Pharm classes are 4000 level, and Nutrition is a 1000 level class.

Thanks!

IIRC the AMCAS instruction manual says you should categorize courses by content. so if neuropharm/pharm was taught like a biology elective, for example, then list it as a BPCM course, despite it being categorized at your school as NUTRI

I submitted my application and it was ready for review on July 11. It's August 21 now and AMCAS still hasn't processed it. Anyone else in the same boat? getting nervous..

Posted this elsewhere earlier, but I felt it might have been out of place. Going to try my luck in this thread.

So my institution gave me AP credit for Calculus 1A & Statistics 1 when I first entered college.

However, upon realizing that some of the schools didn't take AP credit for their requirement of 1 year college-level math, I re-took these two classes and got an A in both mainly because I did not want to take upper-level math courses that I probably was not adequately qualified for. I definitely would not have been prepared enough to take calc 1B with just my high school AP class.

So today, I noticed on my AMCAS verification, they had marked these two courses as "Repeated" since I had been given AP credit when I entered college. I'm worried on how the adcom will look at this and I am just afraid this might look bad?

Anyways, thanks so much in advance for your responses!!

I took a Chem Spectroscopy course that had a 4 hour mandatory tutorial component every other week during which we worked on Spec problems and assignments. Should I enter this course any differently than a course that only has a lecture component? For example, would I add "and tutorial" to the name or classify it as a "combined lecture and lab"? I acknowledge that the tutorial wasn't quite the same as a lab, but the course definitely took more time than one that only had a lecture.

Thanks!

I submitted my transcripts electronically without the transcript form....Is that ok?

first time applicant here. I sent in my application on July 12 to AMCAS and was verified on August 30th. I took the July 2, 2013 MCAT and the results came out in early August. My dilemma is did the school get my up last MCAT score automatically or do I have to contact them . Thanks for responding. Is it best to call or email the schools. The reason I am worried is my secondaries were completed in early September and I have not heard back from any schools.

I have 2 questions about entering course work and I've read the instructions multiply times, but am still uncertain. I've looked through old threads, but some of the answers seem contradictory and I haven't found anything addressing my second question. Any help you can give would be great.

1. I understand what the instructions say about how to list a class that has a lab that is included in the lecture grade, but what if the lab is listed separately on the transcript? For example, my transcript says:
BIOL 1750 Biology II A 5.00
BIOL 1750 Biology II 0.00
Laboratory
Grading Basis: Non-Graded Component

I know that the Lab was part of the Lecture grade, but does this technically count as being listed separately and thus require being listed in AMCAS separately as well? And marking Lecture only on the one and Lab only on the other?
or
Would I just put it down once as "Biology II and Lab" and mark the Lecture and Lab box?

2. Along the same lines, for some classes my school has a "Discussion" instead of a lab. It is listed very similarly to the Lab above

BIOL 2140 Genetics A 4.00
Lecture
BIOL 2140 Genetics 0.00
Discussion

I struggle with this one because, depending on the answer to my first question, it doesn't really give a "Lecture and Discussion" option.

Thanks!

I apologize if this has been asked earlier.

Does the AMCAS count all grades taken at your UG institution? For me, I have a foreign language that doesn't count towards my GPA. Would Amcas count that course as part of their cGPA calculation? Thanks!

I apologize if this has been asked earlier.

Does the AMCAS count all grades taken at your UG institution? For me, I have a foreign language that doesn't count towards my GPA. Would Amcas count that course as part of their cGPA calculation? Thanks!

Yes, AMCAS counts all courses that were graded, meaning P/F courses or courses with no letter grade will not be counted into the GPA. Any UG-level courses taken (whether it is outside of your main institution, during the summer, before or after college) are counted.

I have 2 questions about entering course work and I've read the instructions multiply times, but am still uncertain. I've looked through old threads, but some of the answers seem contradictory and I haven't found anything addressing my second question. Any help you can give would be great.

1. I understand what the instructions say about how to list a class that has a lab that is included in the lecture grade, but what if the lab is listed separately on the transcript? For example, my transcript says:
BIOL 1750 Biology II A 5.00
BIOL 1750 Biology II 0.00
Laboratory

I know that the Lab was part of the Lecture grade, but does this technically count as being listed separately and thus require being listed in AMCAS separately as well? And marking Lecture only on the one and Lab only on the other?
or
Would I just put it down once as "Biology II and Lab" and mark the Lecture and Lab box?

2. Along the same lines, for some classes my school has a "Discussion" instead of a lab. It is listed very similarly to the Lab above

BIOL 2140 Genetics A 4.00
Lecture
BIOL 2140 Genetics 0.00
Discussion

I struggle with this one because, depending on the answer to my first question, it doesn't really give a "Lecture and Discussion" option.

Thanks!

Are these on your official transcript? It looks like the lab and discussion are from your semester schedule, not your transcript. If they are not on your transcript, do not add them in your AMCAS. Also, even if they show up on your transcript, they are "non-graded," as you mentioned. You cannot enter a non-graded course on the AMCAS. All courses must have P/F or ABCDF (+/-) or be one of the exceptions (dropped, W, audit, etc.)

first time applicant here. I sent in my application on July 12 to AMCAS and was verified on August 30th. I took the July 2, 2013 MCAT and the results came out in early August. My dilemma is did the school get my up last MCAT score automatically or do I have to contact them . Thanks for responding. Is it best to call or email the schools. The reason I am worried is my secondaries were completed in early September and I have not heard back from any schools.

AAMC automatically forwards your MCAT scores to your AMCAS. On the other hand, if you are applying through TMDSAS, AACOMAS, or other non-AAMC application, you will have to manually forward your scores on the MCAT score website.

To check that your scores have been loaded, log in to your AMCAS. Click on "standardized tests." Under "MCAT scores," it should say "loaded."

Yes, AMCAS counts all courses that were graded, meaning P/F courses or courses with no letter grade will not be counted into the GPA. Any UG-level courses taken (whether it is outside of your main institution, during the summer, before or after college) are counted.

Are these on your official transcript? It looks like the lab and discussion are from your semester schedule, not your transcript. If they are not on your transcript, do not add them in your AMCAS. Also, even if they show up on your transcript, they are "non-graded," as you mentioned. You cannot enter a non-graded course on the AMCAS. All courses must have P/F or ABCDF (+/-) or be one of the exceptions (dropped, W, audit, etc.)

AAMC automatically forwards your MCAT scores to your AMCAS. On the other hand, if you are applying through TMDSAS, AACOMAS, or other non-AAMC application, you will have to manually forward your scores on the MCAT score website.

To check that your scores have been loaded, log in to your AMCAS. Click on "standardized tests." Under "MCAT scores," it should say "loaded."

The Discussion and Lab are on my Official Transcript, listed just like I wrote them, which is partially why I'm so confused.

It does say in the AMCAS instructions
"If no grade is on the transcript, no grade entry is required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies."

So that leads me to believe that I should enter the lab/discussion separately and leave it ungraded, but then it doesn't really indicate that it was part of the lecture grade except for the Course Title since I would mark "Lab Only" and "Lecture Only" when entering them separately.

I submitted my application and accidentally marked a transcript required when it wasn't required. Does anyone know if it's possible to change this status?

So, I have a 3.67 GPA right now and with a 4.0 this spring semester I will have over a 3.7. My spring grades come out May 17th. My question is whether I should send my transcript in before spring grades come out or wait (assuming a I get a 4.0)? I want to submit the earliest day possible, but is it worth waiting to be above a 3.7?

So, I have a 3.67 GPA right now and with a 4.0 this spring semester I will have over a 3.7. My spring grades come out May 17th. My question is whether I should send my transcript in before spring grades come out or wait (assuming a I get a 4.0)? I want to submit the earliest day possible, but is it worth waiting to be above a 3.7?

Generally it is better to wait until your spring grades are available. Presumably you are a junior so you would have five semesters completed without spring term. Adding the sixth semester (spring term ) would be 16% of your total grade "weight" and could be significant bump to your AMCAS GPA.

Additionally, while it is important to have an application in early, be wary of trying to get you application submitted to AMCAS the moment they open up. Just from the sheer number of applicants, historically they have had server traffic issues. better to wait a week to submit.

Generally it is better to wait until your spring grades are available. Presumably you are a junior so you would have five semesters completed without spring term. Adding the sixth semester (spring term ) would be 16% of your total grade "weight" and could be significant bump to your AMCAS GPA.

Additionally, while it is important to have an application in early, be wary of trying to get you application submitted to AMCAS the moment they open up. Just from the sheer number of applicants, historically they have had server traffic issues. better to wait a week to submit.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a senior with a ton of credits, so it won't make a huge difference in GPA, besides barely reaching the 3.7.

So you are saying that someone who submits a week later could actually be verified before someone who applied the moment it opened.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am a senior with a ton of credits, so it won't make a huge difference in GPA, besides barely reaching the 3.7.

So you are saying that someone who submits a week later could actually be verified before someone who applied the moment it opened.

What I am saying is that if there is a AMCAS server crash due to the volume of applications on the first days that submissions open, there can be confusion if your app is actually in, is it complete, etc. In past AMCAS has had some issues on first day though they are getting better. For example, last year they delayed opening submissions for a week in order to do more testing on their system.

In short, waiting a week will not impact your chances . This is going to be a LONG process . I have students from who prepared and submitted their apps last May and June are still have interviews scheduled. I suggest Rule 1: take a breath.

Reactions: 1 user
If you re take a course and get the same exact grade do you have to list it twice on the application?

Rule 1: For AMCAS every course you ever took for a grade, repeated, retaken, regurgitated, or whatever else must be listed. No exceptions.

Rule 2: For any situation you think doesnt fit the above see rule 1. End of statement

Rule 3: if you have a question concerning courses and grades that starts with the word "BUT" see rule 1.

Sorry, if I over did it, its just a question I get from almost every student especially the "BUT"

I would suggest you wait for the spring grades as 3.7 is a good cut off number, though check that these will change your AMCAS calculation not simply your transcript calculations

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest you wait for the spring grades as 3.7 is a good cut off number, though check that these will change your AMCAS calculation not simply your transcript calculations
is there a way to calc my AMCAS gpa (or at least a good estimate) before the application comes out in May?

Attached are

1) 2015 AMCAS Instruction Manual
2) AMCAS Coversion guide

Attachments

• 2015 amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf
    326.9 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.