*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about year in school, I came in with a bunch of AP classes and community college classes so my school (UCLA) designated me as a sophomore. In Spring of my freshman year, my credit standings said I was a Junior. By winter of my sophomore year, I had senior standing according to credits.

Do I use the designation my school gives me or just list my 'year in school' as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior?
Thanks!!
 
I have a question about year in school, I came in with a bunch of AP classes and community college classes so my school (UCLA) designated me as a sophomore. In Spring of my freshman year, my credit standings said I was a Junior. By winter of my sophomore year, I had senior standing according to credits.

Do I use the designation my school gives me or just list my 'year in school' as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior?
Thanks!!




There appear to be three acceptable methods from AMCAS instructions for verification/standing purposes

1) List college-level work in HS as college-level work in HS, then start freshman work as your actual freshman year.

2) Lump all HS and real freshman work as freshman even it exceeds 32 credits. Start counting Sophomore as the 32 credits after all the above.

3) count 32 credits per year, no matter when started.

A different question would be how will Adcoms view these different methods. If you click on the table below, this is how an adcom will see your info and I presume that if AMCAS verifies by any of the above three methods, it will show up via that method.

Using that as a guide, I would suggest that most students reflect the actual college work done in HS as HS, else it will add skew numbers in the chart without direct explanation to adcoms
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There appear to be three acceptable methods from AMCAS instructions for verification/standing purposes

1) List college-level work in HS as college-level work in HS, then start freshman work as your actual freshman year.

2) Lump all HS and real freshman work as freshman even it exceeds 32 credits. Start counting Sophomore as the 32 credits after all the above.

3) count 32 credits per year, no matter when started.

A different question would be how will Adcoms view these different methods. If you click on the table below, this is how an adcom will see your info and I presume that if AMCAS verifies by any of the above three methods, it will show up via that method.

Using that as a guide, I would suggest that most students reflect the actual college work done in HS as HS, else it will add skew numbers in the chart without direct explanation to adcoms


So if I use the second method, then that's just listing each course in the year that I took it, with all coursework in HS as freshman? also it says to use the credit guidelines if you're part-time or had interrupted attendence and I've had none of that so I'm wondering if this even applies to me?
 
Hi everyone, I have a quick question. I'm inputting my course work right now and I received credits (it's listed on my transcript) for biology-related research. For the field marked "Did the course include a lab section? *" Which choice should I select: Lecture only / Lab only / Combined Lecture & lab ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: kaj
Also, I had another question, I've done two types of research for which I also got course credit. One is clinical (in the hospital) and the other is in a neuroscience lab working with drosphila.

The second one would fall under Biology and be considered a lab course.
I am confused as to how to classify the first one. Which course classification category does it fall under and is it a lab???

Thanks!!
 
So if I use the second method, then that's just listing each course in the year that I took it, with all coursework in HS as freshman? also it says to use the credit guidelines if you're part-time or had interrupted attendence and I've had none of that so I'm wondering if this even applies to me?

Definitely you are premed and not prelaw. Simply because it says to use the credit guidelines if you have been part time or have interrupted does not imply anything about using in other circumstances. The AMACS instructions are written that any of the three above methods can be used for any student.

My suggestion to most students, especially to traditional full time undergrads to list via 4 academic years, as to give an adcom a true representation of freshman year, sophmore year, etc
 
Also, I had another question, I've done two types of research for which I also got course credit. One is clinical (in the hospital) and the other is in a neuroscience lab working with drosphila.

The second one would fall under Biology and be considered a lab course.
I am confused as to how to classify the first one. Which course classification category does it fall under and is it a lab???

Thanks!!

what department was the course credit from? use that as your guide
 
I've taken a few courses at different community colleges that are part of the same district. The district issues one transcript that covers coursework taken at all of its colleges. Should I list each of these colleges separately, or lump them under the district (its available in AMCAS)? I will only be submitting one transcript for this work. Thank you!
 
I've taken a few courses at different community colleges that are part of the same district. The district issues one transcript that covers coursework taken at all of its colleges. Should I list each of these colleges separately, or lump them under the district (its available in AMCAS)? I will only be submitting one transcript for this work. Thank you!

Is it equivalent to branch campuses of the same school? then list once. If you list 5 schools and one transcript you might confuse AMCAS and delay verification
 
Is it equivalent to branch campuses of the same school? then list once. If you list 5 schools and one transcript you might confuse AMCAS and delay verification

I'm not sure, but it might be equivalent to branch campuses. I'll try listing once. That makes more sense than submitting several duplicate transcripts. Thanks!
 
I attended this medical leadership conference the summer before my senior of high school and received 2 college credits (it was 10 days, and I wasn't enrolled in a class or anything). Since it's on my transcript, I understand it should be included on the application. It's through a random liberal arts college that was affiliated with the leadership organization. Should I classify the "program type" as undergraduate? Also, how do I deal with providing the transcript for this scenario?
 
what department was the course credit from? use that as your guide

It's simply clinical research in the hospital and is listed under Medicine on my transcript. It's a Pass/Fail class so wouldn't affect my GPA.

The second one is listed as physiological science so I could get credit for my major but it's actually neuroscience research. I'm guessing that falls under Biology.
 
I attended this medical leadership conference the summer before my senior of high school and received 2 college credits (it was 10 days, and I wasn't enrolled in a class or anything). Since it's on my transcript, I understand it should be included on the application. It's through a random liberal arts college that was affiliated with the leadership organization. Should I classify the "program type" as undergraduate? Also, how do I deal with providing the transcript for this scenario?
Yay NYLF Med!
 
okay question about LETTERS OF REC:

my school has a letter of rec service where my letter writers send their letters to my school, and they compile it and send it to the med schools.

I have 5 recs, but some schools take 3 recs max. Is it possible for me to select which letters to send to which school? on AMCAS, in the letter option, it only gives me one: send the packet of letters from my school. am I able to select and choose which ones to send when it comes in time for secondaries? thanks guys
 
  • Like
Reactions: kaj
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha actually mine was through LeadAmerica, but I almost did that one. Would you happen to be in the same boat with these credits?
Nope, no way was I gonna pay for something I knew was going to be useless. It wouldn't have even shown up on my transcript anyway. My school doesn't accept any of those things (and I don't think they should)!
 
Nope, no way was I gonna pay for something I knew was going to be useless. It wouldn't have even shown up on my transcript anyway. My school doesn't accept any of those things (and I don't think they should)!
In hindsight, I do find them pointless, but I'm just not sure what to do with them in regards to the AMCAS. I'll probably call tomorrow
 
We took a course at a foreign school but the entire program is through IES, which is affiliated with the University of Rochester. The transcript is an IES transcript. Does that clarify?
For what it's worth, I had a similar question about study abroad. I just called AMCAS and told them about my program, and asked what I should list it as. They were super helpful and nice, told me the correct listing, and now I don't have any nagging doubts that I selected the wrong course

Although, from their FAQ, IES seems to be considered study abroad by AMCAS (listed at the bottom of this page)
https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/ForeignCoursework.htm
 
okay question about LETTERS OF REC:

my school has a letter of rec service where my letter writers send their letters to my school, and they compile it and send it to the med schools.

I have 5 recs, but some schools take 3 recs max. Is it possible for me to select which letters to send to which school? on AMCAS, in the letter option, it only gives me one: send the packet of letters from my school. am I able to select and choose which ones to send when it comes in time for secondaries? thanks guys


If your school has an outside compilation service then it is submitting 1 letter to AMCAS and therefore you have 1 letter to send to the schools that contain info from all 5 This sounds like it would be treated more as a committee letter
 
Three quick questions:

1) For those of us sitting on waitlists, should we wait to hear back from schools before submitting the 2014-2015 AMCAS application?

2) Would MCAT tutoring fall under "Paid Employment," "Leadership," or another category?

3) Last cycle, I listed a poster presentation as only being six hours long (the length of the conference). In retrospect, I realize that I probably should have put down the hours that I actually spent working on the project. Can I make the change this year or will it look like I'm fudging my numbers?

Thank you!
 
1) For those of us sitting on waitlists, should we wait to hear back from schools before submitting the 2014-2015 AMCAS application?

2) Would MCAT tutoring fall under "Paid Employment," "Leadership," or another category?

3) Last cycle, I listed a poster presentation as only being six hours long (the length of the conference). In retrospect, I realize that I probably should have put down the hours that I actually spent working on the project. Can I make the change this year or will it look like I'm fudging my numbers?
1) Reapplying won't endanger your spot on waitlists. But you might be out at least $160 for a new application fee if you get a belated acceptance. Considering you will be on waitlists until the first day class starts: mid to late August for many and September for a few, would you really want to submit a new application then, when it would take 6-8 weeks for verification? This would make you a late re-applicant.

You sorta have to go with your gut, but it helps if you have an idea of where you are on waitlists.

2) I suggest either Teaching or Employment, whichever balances your application the best. Leadership is generally reserved for "peer" leadership, like if you coordinated a group of tutors, trained them, scheduled them, monitored their progress, etc.

3) The hours spent working on the research project and the poster go under the affiliated Research listing. You don't want to double list hours.

For further AMCAS Work/Activities specific questions, there is a dedicated thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ork-activities-tips-thread-2014-2015.1062704/
 
Question 1) About the work and activities section. I read about adding say a couple employment opportunities under a single employment experience type. Same for volunteer opportunities. So for example would it be that I select Paid Employment - Not medical/clinic and then in Experience Description type in the different employment opportunities and a few bullet points about each? Is this right? And when doing this should I just write Paid Employment under Experience Name?

Question 2)
When adding courses, say I was adding Gen Chem 1 & Lab. I added Gen Chem 1 3credits lecture only and then added Gen Chem 1 Lab 1 credit as a different course and selected lab only. If this is right, what are cases where you would select combined lecture & lab?

Question 3) Do you include anticipated summer courses, although they won't be on your transcripts yet?
 
Just a minor question:

I've decided to enroll in another class for the summer at my home institution. Would the "dates attended" need to be changed to reflect this, or can I should I leave the end date as the month/year I got my degree?
 
Hey! Sorry if this question has been asked. I've been searching through forums to no avail. For the colleges section, do we include a "degree" for Post-Bacc programs? If we're awarded a certificate for a specific program, how else would that be known on the primary (as opposed to someone who just did an informal PB)? Is it OK to just fill in the "Other Degree" section as Certificate for Health Professions Program?
 
Hey! Sorry if this question has been asked. I've been searching through forums to no avail. For the colleges section, do we include a "degree" for Post-Bacc programs? If we're awarded a certificate for a specific program, how else would that be known on the primary (as opposed to someone who just did an informal PB)? Is it OK to just fill in the "Other Degree" section as Certificate for Health Professions Program?

I would say since it is not a degree and the AMCAS seems to indicate only degrees should be listed, leave it as no degree. However, I just sent a note to my AMCAS contacts asking for clarification
 
Last edited:
I am involved in clinical research at a hospital, and I asked for a LOR and the research team (3 doctors) decided to all write one letter together. So three authors, one letter from a research program at a hospital. What category do I put this under. committee, letter packet, or individual letter.
 
I am involved in clinical research at a hospital, and I asked for a LOR and the research team (3 doctors) decided to all write one letter together. So three authors, one letter from a research program at a hospital. What category do I put this under. committee, letter packet, or individual letter.
Lol take a wild guess. It's one letter, so...
 
Just a minor question:

I've decided to enroll in another class for the summer at my home institution. Would the "dates attended" need to be changed to reflect this, or can I should I leave the end date as the month/year I got my degree?


If you are being awarded the degree and this class is POST formal graduation then just leave the end date.
 
If you are being awarded the degree and this class is POST formal graduation then just leave the end date.

Good too know, thanks. I've already been awarded the degree, was just a little confused on the wording
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I did a search for my question but couldn't find it.

Some of the organizations I have been a part were student run and I really had no relation with the faculty advisor. Over the years the Exec board of the organizations change (with people graduating and such). My question is who should I list as a contact person if 1) Faculty advisor might not know me by name 2) President/ VP of group is not longer active

Thanks and good luck to everyone 🙂
 
Question about Work Activities?

I worked two years as a lifeguard, so I'm going to include that in my Work/Activities section. As lifeguards, we have first responder training similar with EMT training. I have performed real rescues and even done mouth-to-mouth CPR (with mask of course). This was back in 2007-2009.

What experience type those lifeguard fall under: Paid Employment- Medical/Clinical or Paid Employment- Not Medical/Clinical?

It's got to be Medical/Clinical right? Because we are medically trained, even though we're not mini-doctors but still. I hate to categorize this as Not Medical/Clinical but I'm kind of confused.

Hmm.... your primary role isnt medical. It might make some adcoms roll eyes to call it medical. Is there some certification for the first responder aspect?

You could call it medical and start off with the medical aspects but I am hesitant in suggesting that is what I recommend
 
Is 5 letter of rec's too much for one school?

I have my two science professor (i wouldn't include them if they weren't require by most schools), my current boss who i've worked off and on for about 5 years now, an MD who is writing me a really good letter and my graduate school advisor who knows me pretty well.
 
Is 5 letter of rec's too much for one school?

I have my two science professor (i wouldn't include them if they weren't require by most schools), my current boss who i've worked off and on for about 5 years now, an MD who is writing me a really good letter and my graduate school advisor who knows me pretty well.

rule of thumb is 3-5 (maybe 4 to 6) . I would follow what the specific school asks for. have all the letters loaded up to AMCAS and then you can decide which ones should go to which specific schools.
 
I'm a little confused on how letters play into the verification process. Do schools even look at the application if no letters have been submitted yet? I am in a situation where there is a pre health advising committee offered through my undergrad however because of insane fees and deadlines I decided to send letters individually.

Im starting to get nervous since almost every school says "if you have a pre health committee you must use it" . My undergrad pre health committe is notorious for sending things out later than anticipated. Since the application process has already started I'm worried that going through them will delay arrivals of my LORs, where as if I have control the letters would be sent within the first week or two of June.
 
I'm a little confused on how letters play into the verification process. Do schools even look at the application if no letters have been submitted yet? I am in a situation where there is a pre health advising committee offered through my undergrad however because of insane fees and deadlines I decided to send letters individually.

Im starting to get nervous since almost every school says "if you have a pre health committee you must use it" . My undergrad pre health committe is notorious for sending things out later than anticipated. Since the application process has already started I'm worried that going through them will delay arrivals of my LORs, where as if I have control the letters would be sent within the first week or two of June.

Rule 1 Take a Breath:

1) Adcoms usually look at letters during a complete review, ie when your secondary is received and file is complete. For most students that wont be until August at the earliest. Timing isnt usually an issue
2) Having a committee and not using them, especially if it a undergraduate school with large premed program and a well organized committee, can raise a question why the student did not go thru them? Is there something he or she hiding? will the committee have given a mediocre review? This is especially true for schools that state "if you have a pre health committee you must use it"
3) The previous probably isnt as hard and fast as it used to be as online letters via Interfolio and/or AMCAS have become popular.
4) What you can do is upload both to interfolio (I believe you can have up to 10 and the committee letter is 1) and then decide which ones go to what schools.

My recommendation is to use the committee if you can
 
paid part-time just as coach, no PE classes or other classes to teach? then paid employment. "Stretching" something in an app can do more harm then good as it can subconsciously make a reader think, what else is the applicant stretching to more than it is
 
Rule 1 Take a Breath:

1) Adcoms usually look at letters during a complete review, ie when your secondary is received and file is complete. For most students that wont be until August at the earliest. Timing isnt usually an issue
2) Having a committee and not using them, especially if it a undergraduate school with large premed program and a well organized committee, can raise a question why the student did not go thru them? Is there something he or she hiding? will the committee have given a mediocre review? This is especially true for schools that state "if you have a pre health committee you must use it"
3) The previous probably isnt as hard and fast as it used to be as online letters via Interfolio and/or AMCAS have become popular.
4) What you can do is upload both to interfolio (I believe you can have up to 10 and the committee letter is 1) and then decide which ones go to what schools.

My recommendation is to use the committee if you can


Thanks! I personally do not like the pre health committee at my school, but I suppose they are "well organized with a large premed program". The only issue is hassle my recommenders to mail the letters since my committee will not allow me to send it via Interfolio. I already feel like I've bothered some of the doc's I'm asking…any suggestions on how I should approach this?
 
Thanks! I personally do not like the pre health committee at my school, but I suppose they are "well organized with a large premed program". The only issue is hassle my recommenders to mail the letters since my committee will not allow me to send it via Interfolio. I already feel like I've bothered some of the doc's I'm asking…any suggestions on how I should approach this?

Make it as easy as possible. Send them very well written requests that include all the information they need. I usually suggest a request that includes a paragraph or bullet points under "as you may recall" with specifics and details (ie 'As you may recall I took such and such in the spring of 2013 and received an A, worked in your lab from such and such date on such and such project.) Send a CV with it. I often recommend making an appt to followup. Personally, I would not write a letter for a candidate, no matter how well I know them, without an "interview" so I get their story correct. But I think I am in the minority in that.

Most important, followup, followup, followup.

Make request
followup on request
confirm it has been sent by prof
confirmed it has been rec'd by committee
confirm committee has produced letter and sent to AMCAS/Interfolio
confirm it has been received by interfolio
confirm it went Interfolio to AMCAS
confirm AMCAS got it
confirm AMCAS has sent it out
confirm EACH school gets it

So now imagine you have 5 letters, each letter has a good 10 steps in confirmation.

I suggest to all students make a spreadsheet/project plan for the numerous steps you have
 
Hi, I'm working on my Course Work section and I had a question about high school credit.
I have a bunch of credit from a special program at my high school (AICE -- similar to the IB program, but less widespread) and I'm a little confused about how to enter it. Should I put the year that I was in high school when I took the exam, or should I put Fall of my freshmen year of college to reflect when I received the credit? It's listed under Fall on my transcript, but I am still unsure. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm working on my Course Work section and I had a question about high school credit.
I have a bunch of credit from a special program at my high school (AICE -- similar to the IB program, but less widespread) and I'm a little confused about how to enter it. Should I put the year that I was in high school when I took the exam, or should I put Fall of my freshmen year of college to reflect when I received the credit? It's listed under Fall on my transcript, but I am still unsure. Thanks.

The answer is yes, either put it in HS or put it in Freshman. Either way is acceptable. Personally, I prefer to see it in HS as I think then your freshman year reflects what you actually in college
 
The answer is yes, either put it in HS or put it in Freshman. Either way is acceptable. Personally, I prefer to see it in HS as I think then your freshman year reflects what you actually in college
If I put it in HS, should I put "other term" for academic term? Thanks!
 
How many of you would say these two classes would be counted as BCPM Science courses for medical school?

1. PSYC - Brain and Behavior (3) : Lecture class where we learned about the anatomy of the brain, audition, cognition, visual system and parts of the eye, etc.

2. PSYC - Physiological Psychology Lab (1) : Dissected a sheep brain and eye and examined all the parts (midbrain, forebrain, hindbrain, and visual system of eye - learned about all the nerves as well)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.