*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its on your transcript u must enter it. See AMACS instructions p41 . It should be listed as AU (audit) as no credit and no grade


Audit (AU)
Audit refers to any course you attended without attempting to earn credit, either formallyor informally. If you officially registered for the course, it is usually listed on the transcriptwith a special symbol or notation. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned
Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@gonnif

Can you offer an opinion on me choosing Exempt over Audit, and if I did this correctly?

I just want to verify I did something correctly.

I have a semester internship on my transcript that has a course name, number, and description. The units are 0.0 and the grade is blank, literally just an open space.

I chose to enter INTERN 001, Fall Internship, Units = 0, Grade = " ", and chose Exempt.

AMCAS keeps giving me big warnings, so I thought I would see if you thought that sounded OK? The course was not for a grade, it is a couple years old.

TMDSAS and AACOMAS both have me leave it off.
 
I already got my school to send my transcript to AMCAS and they received it. I just realized that my transcript is about to be updated. Can I just send AMCAS my updated transcript or do I have to somehow cancel my first transcript then send my updated one?

That would likely confuse AMCAS, which somewhere states that you shouldnt have more than one transcript submitted. Either wait for the final or use the earlier one. But do not do both which could delay your application

As I said previously in this thread, that would likely confused AMCAS where it states somewhere (I have to fin) dont have multiple transcripts sent. You can call them and ask how but they simply say no
 
@gonnif

Can you offer an opinion on me choosing Exempt over Audit, and if I did this correctly?

Audit is for a course you specifically chose to sit in on and/or registered for that you received No Credit, No Grade, and No Review

Exempt is basically any course that wasnt completed and specifically/intentionally audited by you that you No Credit, No Grade, and No Review

So if you did not intentionally audit a class and received No Credit, No Grade, and No Review, it is exempt

Use Exempt to indicate courses that were completed but were not awarded credit hours.
No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned. Exempt courses may include
any course that you were not required to complete because you had:
*Previously completed courses,
*Employment experience,
*Passed a departmental exam
*Received a failing grade.



Audit (AU)
Audit refers to any course you attended without attempting to earn credit, either formally
or informally. If you officially registered for the course, it is usually listed on the transcript
with a special symbol or notation. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned
 
Oh yes,

I read through all of that, but was still not completely confident in my decision.
 
Oh yes,

I read through all of that, but was still not completely confident in my decision.

Rule 1: take a breath

Simply a matter of intent. Did you intend to audit or not?

Then of course murder or manslaughter is a matter of intent. And a jury of adcoms will pass judgement upon you. No pressure now is there?
 
@gonnif

It is a transcript marking for volunteering in a research lab.

So there was no class, so no auditing.
 
Thanks.

I was just unsure due to other services asking me to leave it off.

Appreciate your input.
 
For physician shadowing, if the physician I shadowed a few years back has since moved, is it appropriate to list their current hospital or the hospital where I shadowed them? In an ideal world I'd list both, but 700 characters is a real bind and it's happened for more than one physician.

For example, I shadowed Dr. Medicineiscool at Hospital X but now he works at Hospital Y and I don't have space to list both/explain it all. This is how I am listing physicians:

Dr. Medicineiscool, M.D., Specialty
Hospital X OR Y
###-###-#### (current number of course)
Month-Month Year, ___ hours
 
So this question was kind of answered previously but I wanted clarification. I entered school August 2012 but my school placed my AP credit under SPRING 2010 term (the date I took my first AP exam). AMCAS says label it as freshman year but if i select the Spring 2009-2010 it will only let me classify it as high school.
 
So this question was kind of answered previously but I wanted clarification. I entered school August 2012 but my school placed my AP credit under SPRING 2010 term (the date I took my first AP exam). AMCAS says label it as freshman year but if i select the Spring 2009-2010 it will only let me classify it as high school.

Put it down as the first term of college (2012) and note AP exam taken in DATE. AMCAS considers wants to consider AP as part of actual college
 
So I posted this as its own thread before I noticed this AMCAS thread. Oops. But I guess I will post it again here anyways:

Every summer, I join the Facebook page for the incoming freshman class at my university. Throughout the summer I answer all the questions that are posted on the page (which is a lot, even though it's a smaller university), and I also answer questions privately through Messenger. I'd say I end up helping at least 100 students per summer, and I probably spend like 40 hours per summer doing this. I've done it for the past two summers, and I've already started doing it again this summer.

I just really love giving advice, because I know how scary starting college is for many students, and I want them to feel as prepared as possible. I usually give studying tips, info about pre-med classes, info about studying abroad, what to bring, stuff like that. I've actually had students I helped see me around campus during the year and thank me for all my help, which is really rewarding. And I've made a few good friends by doing this, too.

I am considering listing this as a hobby on AMCAS, because it is something that I have put a lot of time into, and it has been a very meaningful experience for me. And I think that, given that physicians spend a lot of their time giving advice, it would support the theory that I'd be a good doctor. But I don't want adcoms to think I'm just coming up with bull**** to make my application look better. Any opinions on whether I should list this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suggest you try your hand at writing it up and see how professors and others may read it. I think it can be well written and noted. I mean there is something to be said of sitting in front of a computer answering nervous premeds questions all evening
 
For physician shadowing, if the physician I shadowed a few years back has since moved, is it appropriate to list their current hospital or the hospital where I shadowed them? In an ideal world I'd list both, but 700 characters is a real bind and it's happened for more than one physician.

For example, I shadowed Dr. Medicineiscool at Hospital X but now he works at Hospital Y and I don't have space to list both/explain it all. This is how I am listing physicians:

You dont have to explain it, just list it. I would suggest


Dr. Medicineiscool, M.D., ( would drop Specialty)
Hospital Y
###-###-#### (current number of course)
Month-Month Year, ___ hours

"Shadowed above formerly at Hospital X in a Specialty setting/ward/ etc. " Also get rid of the periods and commas after MD save some characters
 
I sent my letters from interfolio May 6th (got an email from interfolio saying the delivery was complete) but when I login to my AMCAS it still says "not received" .. how long has it taken usually??
 
I sent my letters from interfolio May 6th (got an email from interfolio saying the delivery was complete) but when I login to my AMCAS it still says "not received" .. how long has it taken usually??

Letters should be accepted the day the AMCAS opens and should first be processed in a 1 business day. I would first check with interfolio and see indeed that they were transmitted to AMCAS, then call AMCAS on Tuesday (Mondays will be busy) and see if they have gotten them.
 
For parental info for Biographic Information, what should I put for one of my parents?
(S)he went to a Technicum in the former Soviet Union (Russian SSR) and got some certification or whatever from that. (Assembling sewing machines or something like that.) It's akin to a vocational school I suppose, but I don't think its quite a 'degree'.
What should I put for education level?
High school graduate? (They graduated high school in USSR)
Some college?

I want to keep it honest, but don't want to overstate their education (the other parent didn't graduate high school)
 
I was wondering can I submit my amcas application without adding any medical school in order to get it verified?
 
I studied abroad in Spain one summer. It was my home university's program. My professor was there and in charge of the program. I received 6 hours of credit. On my transcript it appears as normal coursework from my university, not transfer credit. How do I address this type of study abroad on the application?
 
I studied abroad in Spain one summer. It was my home university's program. My professor was there and in charge of the program. I received 6 hours of credit. On my transcript it appears as normal coursework from my university, not transfer credit. How do I address this type of study abroad on the application?
From page 2 of this thread:
If I studied abroad, but it was at an abroad program through my university and it appears on my normal university transcript, would I be required to submit my abroad time as a separate university?
This would fall under the following:
AMCAS Instructions p51 said:
Study Abroad Program Sponsored by a U.S. or Canadian Institution:
List the sponsoring institution and the foreign institution in the Schools Attended section. Request a transcript exception for the foreign institution and select the reason, “Foreign institution or study abroad program sponsored by U.S., U.S. territorial or Canadian institution—Credits transferred”. When asked if credit from the foreign school was transferred select “Yes” and enter the name of the sponsoring school in the required field.

...

List study abroad coursework under the foreign college, the foreign listing of your home institution, or the organization at which it was attempted, exactly as it appears on the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution's transcript. Do not enter the coursework twice.
 If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and credit hours convertible to semester hours for each course on their transcript: Enter all required course data. AMCAS will include this coursework in your AMCAS GPAs.
 If the sponsoring U.S. or Canadian institution does not provide letter grades other than Pass/Fail:
Indicate "Pass/Fail" as the Special Course Type and provide all other required course data, entering the transcript grade exactly as it appears on the official transcript of the U.S. or Canadian sponsoring institution.
So you have to list both your home school and the foreign school, but you may request a Transcript Exemption for the foreign one and just list the credits under it as they appear on the transcript of the sponsoring US school.

Hope that helps!
 
For parental info for Biographic Information, what should I put for one of my parents?
(S)he went to a Technicum in the former Soviet Union (Russian SSR) and got some certification or whatever from that. (Assembling sewing machines or something like that.) It's akin to a vocational school I suppose, but I don't think its quite a 'degree'.
What should I put for education level?
High school graduate? (They graduated high school in USSR)
Some college?

I want to keep it honest, but don't want to overstate their education (the other parent didn't graduate high school)


guys, please, HALP...
 
Hi everyone. I've been stalking since August, but finally made an account 🙂

Two questions:
1) I took AP chem and AP calc in high school but was required to retake these courses for my major regardless of my AP test scores. The materials covered in these classes were much more advanced compared to those in HS with many new concepts, but I think they could still be considered as 'retake' courses. I am wondering if marking these classes as retakes looks bad, or will med schools see that these are only marked retakes because of AP tests rather than a non-passing grade.

2) I have already completed my major and graduated one year ago and have been working and taking classes since. At my local community college, I am currently taking two math courses that I never had a chance to take at my university (not required for my major, but some schools require). Final grades for these courses will be released on June 9th and will help improve BCPM gpa by a rough 0.05 (assume equal weight between CC and home Uni). I have read various posts talking about the importance of applying in June. Assuming my community college could send a final transcript timely, would AMCAS receiving these grades 2-3 weeks later make any difference at all?
 
Hi everyone. I've been stalking since August, but finally made an account 🙂

Two questions:
1) I took AP chem and AP calc in high school but was required to retake these courses for my major regardless of my AP test scores. The materials covered in these classes were much more advanced compared to those in HS with many new concepts, but I think they could still be considered as 'retake' courses. I am wondering if marking these classes as retakes looks bad, or will med schools see that these are only marked retakes because of AP tests rather than a non-passing grade.
Did your school give you credit for the AP exams (aka, are they on your transcript)? If they are not, you do not report them and you do not need to mark your courses as repeats.

If so, then according to the Instructions you must mark them as repeats.
AMCAS Instructions p44 said:
If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate instution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

You have to mark it this way regardless of how adcoms will view it, so don't worry about what you can't change.
However, my personal (irrelevant) opinion is that a repeat of an AP course looks different than a repeat of a course you did poorly in.

2) I have already completed my major and graduated one year ago and have been working and taking classes since. At my local community college, I am currently taking two math courses that I never had a chance to take at my university (not required for my major, but some schools require). Final grades for these courses will be released on June 9th and will help improve BCPM gpa by a rough 0.05 (assume equal weight between CC and home Uni). I have read various posts talking about the importance of applying in June. Assuming my community college could send a final transcript timely, would AMCAS receiving these grades 2-3 weeks later make any difference at all?
If you get your transcripts in by mid-June, they will likely be verified in early July.
- More precisely, this thread shows that last year, SDNrs who were submitted June 15-17 were verified by July 1-3rd (note that there are no guarantees that this year will follow similar timings...it's just a helpful estimate based on past timelines).
The first apps schools see are July 1.
So, basically zero difference.
 
Last edited:
You have to mark it this way regardless of how adcoms will view it, so don't worry about what you can't change.
However, my personal (irrelevant) opinion is that a repeat of an AP course looks different than a repeat of a course you did poorly in.
Yes, they appear on the top of my transcript. And that's a good point. No reason to worry if I can't do anything about it. Fair enough.

So, basically zero difference.
So, there is zero difference in turn around time for med schools. But is this the only reason why people submit early? I am wondering if those who submit earlier have a higher likelihood of interviews compared to later applicants. Has anyone done this comparison?
 
You have to add at least one.

Sorry, just wanting to make sure I am grasping this correctly. We can submit to one school (sans MCAT score) when AMCAS opens in June so we can be verified, because that can take awhile?

Then when we get our MCAT score, we can submit to multiple schools?

What happens to the school that we submitted to without the MCAT score? Do we completely write off our chances, do they not look at it until we get our scores? Is this a "throwaway" school that we don't have a chance with?

Also, just wanted to confirm: when we submit to that first school, we don't need to have all our LORs at the beginning of June, is this correct?
 
Yes, they appear on the top of my transcript. And that's a good point. No reason to worry if I can't do anything about it. Fair enough.


So, there is zero difference in turn around time for med schools. But is this the only reason why people submit early? I am wondering if those who submit earlier have a higher likelihood of interviews compared to later applicants. Has anyone done this comparison?
Well, in your case there's no difference because you'll be verified in time for the initial wave, just as if you'd submitted everything by June 1.

People have mixed opinions about the value of applying early.There seems to be a consensus that applying late (after early Aug) puts you at a real disadvantage. There is less consensus about the value of July 1 vs Aug 1.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, just wanting to make sure I am grasping this correctly. We can submit to one school (sans MCAT score) when AMCAS opens in June so we can be verified, because that can take awhile?

Then when we get our MCAT score, we can submit to multiple schools?

What happens to the school that we previously submitted with without the MCAT score? Do we completely write off our chances, do they not look at it until we get our scores? Is this a "throwaway" school that we don't have a chance with?
You can submit your app to one school without your MCAT score. This will start the verification process. Usually you pick a school that you will apply to no matter what your MCAT comes back as (or, if you're super worried about your score, one you don't care about so that you don't mind being a reapplicant there if you later decide not to continue forward if your MCAT is not what you need).

At any time, you may add schools to AMCAS. However, pretty much nobody will consider your app until the MCAT is in.

Once you get your score, the first school you selected will start considering your app, and normal app cycle timeline kicks in.
Any schools that you add after receiving your score will get your full primary application right away.
 
You can submit your app to one school without your MCAT score. This will start the verification process. Usually you pick a school that you will apply to no matter what your MCAT comes back as (or, if you're super worried about your score, one you don't care about so that you don't mind being a reapplicant there if you later decide not to continue forward if your MCAT is not what you need).

At any time, you may add schools to AMCAS. However, pretty much nobody will consider your app until the MCAT is in.

Once you get your score, the first school you selected will start considering your app, and normal app cycle timeline kicks in.
Any schools that you add after receiving your score will get your full primary application right away.

Great. Thank you! I did see in the first post that you are considered a re-applicant if you send in a primary app thru AMCAS and every school will see that but I saw elsewhere that you're only considered a re-applicant if you applied there? Can you shed some light on that? Me applying this cycle is contingent upon my MCAT score so I wanted to make sure I know what to expect
 
Great. Thank you! I did see in the first post that you are considered a re-applicant if you send in a primary app thru AMCAS and every school will see that but I saw elsewhere that you're only considered a re-applicant if you applied there? Can you shed some light on that? Me applying this cycle is contingent upon my MCAT score so I wanted to make sure I know what to expect
You are a reapplicant to schools where you submit a primary AMCAS application.
That is the reason for only selecting 1 school initially, before you get your MCAT back...it means that you can choose your school list later, based on your MCAT, or withdraw from this cycle, and only risk reapplicant status at one place.
 
Another grade input question: Apparently on my transcript, my physiology class + lab is listed as Bio 154 Physiology = 4 semester units, letter grade, etc. But there's an ADDITIONAL listing on the transcript that says Bio 154X Physiology Lab = 0 units, no grade. The class is just one class that has lab + lecture in it, and the whole grade is lumped together in the 4 semester units. I have no idea why the school transcript has that extra Bio154X listing..

I listed it on my AMCAS and just didn't put a grade down and put 0 units. I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly..none of the check boxes seem to make sense either.

Also, I apparently took a music theory class in HS that was considered a community college class...but it didn't count towards credit towards music theory in university, so I had to retake the whole series. Is that considered a repeat?
 
Quick question. I have a few AP courses that were assigned "0.00" credits by my school.

Should I still input them on AMCAS?
 
Another grade input question: Apparently on my transcript, my physiology class + lab is listed as Bio 154 Physiology = 4 semester units, letter grade, etc. But there's an ADDITIONAL listing on the transcript that says Bio 154X Physiology Lab = 0 units, no grade. The class is just one class that has lab + lecture in it, and the whole grade is lumped together in the 4 semester units. I have no idea why the school transcript has that extra Bio154X listing..

I listed it on my AMCAS and just didn't put a grade down and put 0 units. I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly..none of the check boxes seem to make sense either.

Also, I apparently took a music theory class in HS that was considered a community college class...but it didn't count towards credit towards music theory in university, so I had to retake the whole series. Is that considered a repeat?

1) I have a class exactly like this, and listed it exactly the same way. You should do this, as it'll be what your verifier will see on the transcript.

2) Is it listed as exactly the same course title/course number?
 
one of my parents went to school in a foreign country with highest level of education as high school. i cant find the hs name, what should i do? i noticed there are only school choices and 'n/a: earned equivalency' but no "other" or "not listed". with college level of education, one is able to put school not listed and write it in, but not with the hs options
 
1) I have a class exactly like this, and listed it exactly the same way. You should do this, as it'll be what your verifier will see on the transcript.

2) Is it listed as exactly the same course title/course number?

1. So I have listed it as 2 classes. One with 4 semester units as BIO154, and another with 0 units and no grade as BIO154X. Is that correct?

2.Not exactly, but technically the same class. The one from CC is listed as MUS110A+B (Theory + Harmony), whereas the one from university is Mus20ABC/Mus120ABC (Music Theory I,II,III..etc). The units didn't count as transfer, so I had to retake the whole series because my college doesn't accept any replacements for those classes. I didn't mark it as a repeat. Not sure if I should
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. So I have listed it as 2 classes. One with 4 semester units as BIO154, and another with 0 units and no grade as BIO154X. Is that correct?

2.Not exactly, but technically the same class. The one from CC is listed as MUS110A+B (Theory + Harmony), whereas the one from university is Mus20ABC/Mus120ABC (Music Theory I,II,III..etc). The units didn't count as transfer, so I had to retake the whole series because my college doesn't accept any replacements for those classes. I didn't mark it as a repeat. Not sure if I should

1). Yep. Mine is exactly the same. List it exactly as it appears on your transcript (like you've done).

2). Don't mark it as a repeat. The course number/title are different, and the school didn't accept the credit when you transferred.
 
For my class standing when entering coursework, should I enter it based on my year in college or my credits earned? For instance, starting my second semester in freshman year of college, I had enough credits that my transcript says "sophomore" next to it for class standing but since it was second semester of freshman year....I'm technically a freshman also. Because if I do it all by the credits I earned....I'm gonna have a lot of classes under senior and like nothing under freshman
 
For my class standing when entering coursework, should I enter it based on my year in college or my credits earned? For instance, starting my second semester in freshman year of college, I had enough credits that my transcript says "sophomore" next to it for class standing but since it was second semester of freshman year....I'm technically a freshman also. Because if I do it all by the credits I earned....I'm gonna have a lot of classes under senior and like nothing under freshman
See p. 36 of the instruction manual: "If you have a significant amount of AP or college-level coursework credits prior to entering college, you may list your entire first college year as Freshman (FR) status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0-32 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases AMCAS will not change the academic status."

Tl;dr: enter your coursework based on your year in college!
 
In the video tutorial regarding entering AP credit, they say to use "AP credit: [subject]". If my transcript lists my AP courses as "ADV PLACEMENT EXAM- MATH BC" should I enter that or use the tutorial suggestion "AP credit: Calculus BC"?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.