You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Correct.So, if my transcripts aren't received yet, then there's no point in me submitting my AMCAS yet, correct? I might as well wait and keep revising my AMCAS until the transcripts are received, because they can't do anything until they have both?
Why are you submitting a blank AMCAS? Deferral?I have to submit a blank AMCAS and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Within the application, some information like biographical data is required, while things like essays are not. But do I still need to fill in coursework and send my transcripts to the AAMC?
Finally saw my verified GPA and got super excited thinking it somehow was much higher than I thought.... and then I noticed it's my AO GPA. 😡
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took AP stats in high school. On my transcript it just shows up as "MAT-2021, Stats 1, CR (for credit), and 3 credits." But it doesn't actually give a grade, and I took stats 1 at my school anyways. What should I put for the grade since all it says is "CR"?
Mine's higher than I thought...because they forgot to give me credit hours for half of my damn lab courses 🙄Finally saw my verified GPA and got super excited thinking it somehow was much higher than I thought.... and the I noticed it my AO GPA. 😡
From what I've seen committee letter satisfies requirements. All my letters including those outside my institution had to go into the committee letter.I always heard that a committee letter could stand on its own, in place of most schools' individual requirements.
At least, I hope so, because that's what I'm doing.
Besides, my professional letter is IN my committee letter!
Thanks for the feedback! 🙂Awesome. I would put it under publications or even artistic endeavors.
I submitted early yesterday and was up for verification mid day today, unfortunately I was alerted of a missing transcript that I had no idea was required (non-traditional study abroad experience), total bummer. Anyway, my transcript is now on the way. Does anyone know if, once the transcript is marked 'received', I will return to the end of the verification queue or will they enter my transcript and verify right away?
I assume its the former, and I will return to purgatory, but here's to being hopeful 🙂
Thanks for any help, and good luck everyone!
I assume its the former, and I will return to purgatory, but here's to being hopeful 🙂
Thanks for any help, and good luck everyone!
I submitted early yesterday and was up for verification mid day today, unfortunately I was alerted of a missing transcript that I had no idea was required (non-traditional study abroad experience), total bummer. Anyway, my transcript is now on the way. Does anyone know if, once the transcript is marked 'received', I will return to the end of the verification queue or will they enter my transcript and verify right away?
I assume its the former, and I will return to purgatory, but here's to being hopeful 🙂
Thanks for any help, and good luck everyone!
I am in the same boat. But I called and here is how it works. So let's say that you were 10th in line for getting verified but now you are on hold since you are waiting for your transcript. Let's say that they are now verifying the person that was 15th in line when your transcript arrives. They will immediately go back to yours, verify yours and then move to person 16. Hope that makes sense!
So I am really confused about this because I've seen it multiple times and I still don't know what advantage it would have. I am waiting on an MCAT score to arrive in June and apparently I can send my application to a school in my home state then apply to other schools once my MCAT score shows up. Is that possible? Has anyone been in a similar situation, and did that help in any way in terms of time course? The only advantage I can see is maybe selecting more schools based on how competitive of a score you have.
Thanks for any clarification; I'm still confused about this situation.
Thanks for any clarification; I'm still confused about this situation.
I am in the same boat. But I called and here is how it works. So let's say that you were 10th in line for getting verified but now you are on hold since you are waiting for your transcript. Let's say that they are now verifying the person that was 15th in line when your transcript arrives. They will immediately go back to yours, verify yours and then move to person 16. Hope that makes sense!
Awesome, I called too but go no concrete answers, thanks for explaining and best of luck!
Question: AMCAS asks for total hour rather than hours per week. How should I calculate the total hour of a club? Should I just estimate
Determine the number of hours per week you usually contribute to the club and then multiply by the number of weeks. Keep summer and winter breaks in mind- make sure you don't just multiply X hours * 52 weeks when the club isn't running for 52 weeks each year.
Tell me about it. I spent a long time calculating all of that. Good luck!OK thanks! That's what I thought. This is taking a long time lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I applied and got rejected from a medical school's 7 year program back in high school does that count as being a previous applicant?
If I applied and got rejected from a medical school's 7 year program back in high school does that count as being a previous applicant?
No lol. Those BS-MD/BA-MD programs don't count as having matriculated into a medical college if you left before actually being admitted into a medical school. As a high school student applying to such programs and not even entering such a program- you definitely don't count as a previous applicant or matriculant.
No lol. Those BS-MD/BA-MD programs don't count as having matriculated into a medical college if you left before actually being admitted into a medical school. As a high school student applying to such programs and not even entering such a program- you definitely don't count as a previous applicant or matriculant.
Fair enough. Just wondering because I was interviewed and toured at the medical school when I interviewed at Drexel years ago. Seeing that they used some resources to do this I was unsure of my status there (and others where I was straight up rejected, but they did review my application, which again uses resources).
Fair enough. Just wondering because I was interviewed and toured at the medical school when I interviewed at Drexel years ago. Seeing that they used some resources to do this I was unsure of my status there (and others where I was straight up rejected, but they did review my application, which again uses resources).
I really doubt that that counts as being a previous applicant. Wouldn't worry about it.
If my transcripts haven't arrived, do I gain any advantage in the verification queue by submitting my application early, or should I wait till they arrive? I feel like people have discussed this before but I can't discern a clear-cut answer.
No advantage.
You do not enter the queue until you are "Ready for Review" with all transcripts in and application submitted.
Ok so I recently found some typos on my AMCAS that I already submitted and Im freaking out.
1: One of my contact phone numbers is incorrect due to typo.
2: One of my most meaningful activities has 20 hours instead of 200.
3: One of the schools I applied to I accidentally clicked previously applied.
Am I screwed?x
1: One of my contact phone numbers is incorrect due to typo.
2: One of my most meaningful activities has 20 hours instead of 200.
3: One of the schools I applied to I accidentally clicked previously applied.
Am I screwed?x
Hey Guys I have a question regarding submitting an Academic Change Request. I took a psych course that relied heavily on Bio, and when i took it, they were already in the process of cross listing it in the bio department.
When I submitted my app I put it as Psych. I just got verified and saw that my university now classifies it as Bio (not even cross listed, straight up Bio). I did well in the class and would like to have it as a part of my BCPM gpa.. Can I submit a change request and still be seen by schools July 1st ?
I know they say it takes a 5 working days, but does anyone have experience with this?
When I submitted my app I put it as Psych. I just got verified and saw that my university now classifies it as Bio (not even cross listed, straight up Bio). I did well in the class and would like to have it as a part of my BCPM gpa.. Can I submit a change request and still be seen by schools July 1st ?
I know they say it takes a 5 working days, but does anyone have experience with this?
If I presented the same poster twice (at two different conferences), should I put each conference on the AMCAS? or all under one activity slot?
Oh, and I also have a slot filled out for a description of the actual project.
Oh, and I also have a slot filled out for a description of the actual project.
Last edited:
Quick question and then I am ready to submit... although it doesn't really matter yet because my transcript from my CC is still in route. So in terms of credit hours, most of my classes at my college are listed as 1.0, but then when I took my community college course, it was listed as a 4.00 credit hours. Should I list the community college course as it appears in the transcript (4.00), or list it like all the other courses that I took (1.00)?
@gonnif
@mehc012
@Catalystik
@gonnif
@mehc012
@Catalystik
You shouldn't mark it down under your university at all, with any number of credits.Quick question and then I am ready to submit... although it doesn't really matter yet because my transcript from my CC is still in route. So in terms of credit hours, most of my classes at my college are listed as 1.0, but then when I took my community college course, it was listed as a 4.00 credit hours. Should I list the community college course as it appears in the transcript (4.00), or list it like all the other courses that I took (1.00)?
@gonnif
@mehc012
@Catalystik
List the community college course only under the community college where you took it, not under your home institution. When you do so, list it with the same number of credit hours that appear on the CC transcript.
AMCAS Instructions p35 said:Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where they were originally attempted. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.
For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took “Intro to Pottery” at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the “Schools Attended” section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add “Intro to Pottery” as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there.
Last edited:
What does AO stand for?? For some reason I can't figure it out. All Other??Finally saw my verified GPA and got super excited thinking it somehow was much higher than I thought.... and the I noticed it my AO GPA. 😡
YuuupppWhat does AO stand for?? For some reason I can't figure it out. All Other??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had to look it up initially lol "all other" is correct!What does AO stand for?? For some reason I can't figure it out. All Other??
I have a letter that was received by AMCAS, however, I do not want to use it (missing real signature) and never assigned it to any school. The email I got from AMCAS said to follow the instructions in the manual to remove it, however, when I went back to my app I still couldn't figure out how to remove it. Anyone successfully removed a received letter? What happens if I don't remove it? I mean, it was never attached to any of my schools, so would it even matter?
I have a letter that was received by AMCAS, however, I do not want to use it (missing real signature) and never assigned it to any school. The email I got from AMCAS said to follow the instructions in the manual to remove it, however, when I went back to my app I still couldn't figure out how to remove it. Anyone successfully removed a received letter? What happens if I don't remove it? I mean, it was never attached to any of my schools, so would it even matter?
AMCAS Instructions p63 said:After the initial submission of the AMCAS application letter entries cannot be deleted, they can only be designated as “No Longer Being Sent”. Log in to your application and go to the Letters of Evaluation section to make this designation:
They do. No need to be ashamed...though if it worries you, you can choose not to report, I believe. At any rate, it won't hurt you...may even help.Do adcoms see parental financial information when reading applications, or are they need blind? It shows up when you print the application draft but I'm wondering if adcoms see it too; I really hope they don't. I'm kind of ashamed of it :/
I did well in undergrad, but since I graduated a few years ago, I'm planning to take some graduate classes this fall. I'm still waiting to be allowed to register for classes since I'm a new student, so I can't list it on the AMCAS yet. I still have to finish polishing my application to submit, but if I can't register before then, how do I handle this? I know I can't edit my curse information after I submit, so should I update every school individually when I get my schedule for fall so that they see that I am taking graduate classes?
I think you can list them as future courses- AMCAS doesn't hold you to classes that you list as future ones.I did well in undergrad, but since I graduated a few years ago, I'm planning to take some graduate classes this fall. I'm still waiting to be allowed to register for classes since I'm a new student, so I can't list it on the AMCAS yet. I still have to finish polishing my application to submit, but if I can't register before then, how do I handle this? I know I can't edit my curse information after I submit, so should I update every school individually when I get my schedule for fall so that they see that I am taking graduate classes?
so... I submitted 4 letters of rec for a school that only wants 3... rejected already right?? =/
Just curious, which school?
I read the instructions but I can't find the "no longer being sent" option :/
I quoted that mainly to point out that you can't delete the entry after submission.I read the instructions but I can't find the "no longer being sent" option :/
You don't need to mark it as "no longer being sent" because you never assigned it to a school, so it was never being sent.
Ok so I recently found some typos on my AMCAS that I already submitted and Im freaking out.
1: One of my contact phone numbers is incorrect due to typo.
2: One of my most meaningful activities has 20 hours instead of 200.
3: One of the schools I applied to I accidentally clicked previously applied.
Am I screwed?x
1 + 2. Both problems can be solved with a simple email to all the schools you are applying to saying what typo you made
3. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that said school won't really care. If you like you can email them when you get their secondary explaining your situation.
Sorry upcoming noob question:
Is there a limit of how many times we can add schools after submission? Or can I add 3, and then later add 2 more, etc?
Also, I can add schools after submission, and still even after it's verified correct?
Is there a limit of how many times we can add schools after submission? Or can I add 3, and then later add 2 more, etc?
Also, I can add schools after submission, and still even after it's verified correct?
You can add schools after submission. To my knowledge, the only limit is that you get each one in by that school's deadline.Sorry upcoming noob question:
Is there a limit of how many times we can add schools after submission? Or can I add 3, and then later add 2 more, etc?
Also, I can add schools after submission, and still even after it's verified correct?
I highly doubt that. They might just disregard the fourth letter.so... I submitted 4 letters of rec for a school that only wants 3... rejected already right?? =/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I was just verified (woop der it is) but AMCAS changed all of my International Baccalaureate credit to Advanced Placement credit. I know I can appeal but I'm really wondering if it makes any difference. I got credit for history, english and biology. Two of those classes I could also have used AP credit for (took AP Bio and IB Bio HL, AP Lang and IB English HL) but the history one is just IB credit. So does it matter? or can I just leave it be.
Hi guys, I was just verified (woop der it is) but AMCAS changed all of my International Baccalaureate credit to Advanced Placement credit. I know I can appeal but I'm really wondering if it makes any difference. I got credit for history, english and biology. Two of those classes I could also have used AP credit for (took AP Bio and IB Bio HL, AP Lang and IB English HL) but the history one is just IB credit. So does it matter? or can I just leave it be.
I can't imagine an Ad-Com giving a rat's ass about an IB vs AP designation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Quick question:
I'm having issues classifying a summer photography course that I took. I did not take it at my primary undergraduate institution, but at a school in my hometown. I'm am entering the information for the class under my hometown's school transcript information. I took the class between my sophomore and junior years of college. I say that the academic term that I took the class was in summer, but when I try to fill in the "term in school" requirement, it will only let me select High School, Post-baccalaureate, or Graduate (any undergraduate level is not an option that I can select). Do I just say it was a post-bac even though I was still in? @gonnif
Thanks!
I'm having issues classifying a summer photography course that I took. I did not take it at my primary undergraduate institution, but at a school in my hometown. I'm am entering the information for the class under my hometown's school transcript information. I took the class between my sophomore and junior years of college. I say that the academic term that I took the class was in summer, but when I try to fill in the "term in school" requirement, it will only let me select High School, Post-baccalaureate, or Graduate (any undergraduate level is not an option that I can select). Do I just say it was a post-bac even though I was still in? @gonnif
Thanks!
If it makes you feel better I had a school that is very geographically close to AMCAS mail a transcript on 5/26 (I requested it 5/24) and it still has not been processed. I feel like it should have taken 2-3 days max to arrive and they are processing transcripts that arrived 6/2, and still no word. Freaked out today and mailed another one 😎About how long did it for your mailed transcripts to be received? I had two schools mail them out 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from AMCAS. Not sure if I should request another transcript to be mailed out or not.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 2K