*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm getting a bit concerned as I review the English requirement for schools. Most required 6 credits (or a year of English). I only took 4 credits worth of English Department coursework. I have a number of writing intensive Philosophy classes that I completed(12 credits). I also did independent research with scientific writing (worth 8 credits).

Am I out of luck and will I need to take an english course before applying?

Prerequisites generally need to be completed before matriculation, not applying. Most schools will probably be fine substituting one of your writing intensive courses. If not, the worst case is you'll have to take one more English course the semester/summer before med school starts.
 
Prerequisites generally need to be completed before matriculation, not applying. Most schools will probably be fine substituting one of your writing intensive courses. If not, the worst case is you'll have to take one more English course the semester/summer before med school starts.
Brilliant, thank you! So I take it I should leave my courses as is for now. Philosophy under PHL and the science-writing credit courses as BIO and CHM. Then once accepted (fingers-crossed) I will address?

Big sigh of relief!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Might not be the right place to ask, but for the disadvantaged status essay, can I talk about what I learned from overcoming the hardship or should it be straight up about my disadvantages? I ended up needing only about 600 characters to describe my disadvantaged status so decided to use the remaining ~700 characters to describe how thankful I am to be where I am now. It sounds a bit cheesy though, and that's why I am asking if they'd want to hear about it lol.
 
So when selecting which program you want to apply to, some of the combined MD/graduate options have (Restricted) after the description. In the instruction manual, it comments about restricted programs where you cannot apply to other schools right away but that wouldn't make much sense for an MD/MS program application. The school that I see this on is for case.
 
Also on top of the question I just asked, if I select MD/MS and it says that I have to apply to graduate school only after getting accepting to medical school, is this very binding? Like would they care if 4-5 months from now I realized I only want an MD?
 
So I'm trying to fill out my course work and I put in my first course that I took as freshman from 2011 to 2012 but it won't allow me to select freshman..
Is anyone else having the same problem as I am.
 
A couple questions about Work/Activities: (Sorry if these have been answered already!)
1) What do we put for Total Hours for publication/presentation/honors entries? Just 0? Or should we try and guess how many hours we put into each publication/presentation?
2) What contact do we put for honors/awards?
3) If you don't have a good person to put for a contact for a past activity, what should we do? I've heard to just leave it blank and explain in your description, but the application won't let you do that.

Thanks!
 
A couple questions about Work/Activities: (Sorry if these have been answered already!)
1) What do we put for Total Hours for publication/presentation/honors entries? Just 0? Or should we try and guess how many hours we put into each publication/presentation?
2) What contact do we put for honors/awards?
3) If you don't have a good person to put for a contact for a past activity, what should we do? I've heard to just leave it blank and explain in your description, but the application won't let you do that.

Thanks!
Edit: my apologies, i didn't see that your question was already answered in the activities thread
 
If I want to send the primary out to more schools after I've already submitted, does AMCAS need to verify it all again before sending, or does it just send automatically? Thank you!
 
I'm waiting for my transcripts to get into AMCAS, I'm hoping they'll get there within a week. Is there a point of submitting before they arrive? I want to get it in as early as possible but if there is no advantage before my transcripts come in, I could work on my app some more.

Thanks!
 
I'm waiting for my transcripts to get into AMCAS, I'm hoping they'll get there within a week. Is there a point of submitting before they arrive? I want to get it in as early as possible but if there is no advantage before my transcripts come in, I could work on my app some more.

Thanks!
Hey! same boat! when did u mail yours?
 
did u get a confirmation from your school or from AMCAS? Mine was mailed on 21, no news yet ..
Got a confirmation from undergrad, but I had to order that one online, so they send you automated updates
Not sure if my Master's transcript was sent out yet, since I just emailed them a couple of forms
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm waiting for my transcripts to get into AMCAS, I'm hoping they'll get there within a week. Is there a point of submitting before they arrive? I want to get it in as early as possible but if there is no advantage before my transcripts come in, I could work on my app some more.

Thanks!
Verification will not start until the transcript is in AND the app is submitted, so there's not a real advantage to submitting before it arrives.
 
If I want to send the primary out to more schools after I've already submitted, does AMCAS need to verify it all again before sending, or does it just send automatically? Thank you!
Verification happens once. There's no need to reverify, as you are unable to edit anything other than contact info or to add anything other than LORs/schools.
 
I took the MCAT in May so percentiles will be released June 12th. If I indicate on my AMCAS app that I am not planning to retake, see my score June 12 and realize I need to retake, can I change my answer?
 
did u get a confirmation from your school or from AMCAS? Mine was mailed on 21, no news yet ..
Check the AMCAS login page:
AMCAS 2016 login page said:
AMCAS is currently marking as “RECEIVED” those transcripts that were delivered on May 27, 2015. Please remember that it can take up to two weeks for your transcripts to arrive at AMCAS via mail.

Sounds like they're a bit behind on transcript processing.

This is also where the opening time/date can be found, those who are asking and would like to see it in official writing!
 
What would an Introduction to Social Work course be classified as? BESS, EDUC, or GOVT? It's an entire department at my school, so it's just classified as SOWK. Any advice?
 
I am finishing up my pre-reqs with one course this summer and one course in the fall. The school at which I am taking them has several satelite campuses around the county. All 3 of the courses I will take will be from different campuses. I have only one site with which I have access to and it shows my registration for all 3 campuses. Can it be assumed that everything will be included on 1 transcript? Only 2 of the 3 campus actually has a listing on AMCAS, so I am curious how I would go about entering the future course for the campus not listed? But since the future courses aren't binding can I also assume that it isn't an issue if where I actually take them is different from what I claimed on my coursework section?
 
So I'm trying to fill out my course work and I put in my first course that I took as freshman from 2011 to 2012 but it won't allow me to select freshman..
Is anyone else having the same problem as I am.
I had this problem. It turns out that I entered my high school graduation year as 2016 by mistake for some reason, so it wouldn't let me select anything other than high school.
 
For AP Credit, I received credit for two English classes but they're listed as the same class on my transcript. I decided to merge them into one entry of 6 (3+3) lecture hours. I had a similar issue with Calculus BC giving credit for Calc 1 and 2, but I separated those. Should I have separated the English entries? I thought about including the college English class in parentheses. to clarify that they were separate classes.
 
This question's probably a bit silly, but for the letters of recommendation, what do we fill as the address, country, state, and city? Is it our own address? The organization's address? The letter writer's address?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if your parents are international medical graduates, do we put in MD or other doctorate degree? it just seems a little strange to classify them as MDs since both of them are unable to work in the US and i have a lot of finaid because of it.
 
Does anyone know what to do if your school does have a premedical committee but you aren't applying through them? I wanted to join the pre-med program late into my undergrad. I was told that the program is geared towards freshman and sophomores who haven't taken premed prequisites and haven't done any ECs. When I wanted to join, I was already an upper junior and done with my prereqs and well on my with ECs, which is why I was told the program wouldn't be helpful for me. The problem is... a lot of schools want a letter explaining why someone who had access to a premed committee didn't use it. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? I have eight STRONG recommendation letters so it's not like I was a delinquent student or anything like that.

Truth be told, even though this puts me in a sticky spot, I'm glad I didn't go through my undergrad's pre-med committee. The whole office has massive internal issues.
 
Is anyone else not able to designate April 18th as their MCAT date? For some reason, AMCAS shows May 22nd as the first test date option...
 
If I want to send the primary out to more schools after I've already submitted, does AMCAS need to verify it all again before sending, or does it just send automatically? Thank you!
I'm pretty sure that they don't re-verify. Verification is mainly to make sure your coursework/transcript is all in order- that isn't related to which schools you apply to.
 
If a school says 3 letters of recommendation is required but they don't say a maximum number of letters, should I submit more than 3 or play it safe and keep it at 3?
I would call and ask about the maximum number that they accept. For some, the max limit IS 3. Others will take up to 6, 7, 8, etc. Best to call.
 
hey everyone I've got a letter of rec question

So far I have 2 letters from professors and 1 letter from an MD. I was wondering if i should submit 1 DO letter to the amcas applications? what are your thought?
 
Did you guys add "and lab" to AP courses that were 4 hours of lab+lecture included?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, that's annoying...submitted and my status is 'Waiting for Transcripts' even though they're all marked as 'Received.'
Oh well, it's their job to figure all that ish out now. :laugh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.