*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I did not write this thread - it has been passed down through the eons by pre-allo staff.

It is that time of year again!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the 2019 applicant guide can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

-- -- --

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 through 2018; please let us know if there are any changes. Will be continuously updated as new information is brought to light.

General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?

The AMCAS application opens on May 1st, 2019, and you can submit starting May 30th, 2019.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 1st.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218 and (NEW!) Explain New Traffic Rules

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
AMCAS will only show you are a reapplicant to each of the individual schools you have applied to previously. No school at anytime during the AMCAS process can see if you have previously applied to any other school, nor can it see any other school your are currently applying to. No school except the individual school your are reapplying to can see any part of your previous AMCAS application, and only if they have kept it on file, which most schools do. AMCAS does not provide your previous application to any school, whether a reapplicant or not. Every MD school can see if you have been accepted previously at an MD school. While AMCAS guidelines do allow individual schools on their secondary applications to ask if you had ever previously applied to medical school, the question does not appear to be widely used. It is more common for individual schools to ask if you have ever been accepted previously matriculated at any medical school, which would include allopathic, osteopathic, or off-shore.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 1st, 2019 -- AMCAS Application Opens
May 30th, 2019 -- First Day to Submit AMCAS
June 28th, 2019 -- First Day Applications are Transmitted to Medical Schools
October 15th, 2019 -- First Day Acceptance Offers Can Be Made
April 15th, 2020 -- AMCAS Suggests Narrowing Down to 3 Acceptances by This Date
April 30th, 2020 -- Date By Which Applicants Must Hold Only One Acceptance

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here AMCAS® FAQs

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2019 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
2019 Applicant Guide
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

If you think something should be added to the FAQ, you see something that needs to be updated, or for any other concerns, tag @WedgeDawg, @gyngyn, @Lucca, or @Ismet in one of your posts (or PM us!). If you do this, it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE help if you post the link to your source in your post!

Thanks and best of luck everyone!

Link to last year's thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
brief summary of application advice

1) You dont get into medical school because your application is first; you get in because your application is good.
2) You need to have solid MCAT scores and therefore should have nearly 100% time, energy, and focus into MCAT prep without distraction
3) You need to have a a highly polished AMCAS primary therefore should have nearly 100% time, energy, and focus into the primary without distraction
4) trying to split your time, energy and focus as you want to above in order to be first is one of the most common mistakes a premed can do
5) You do not enter the AMCAS verification queue until your Primary Application and ALL transcripts have been received
6) If you get verified, you will be TRANSMITTED to the schools during the first wave
7) Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
8) There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----A) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. In some cases preset criteria can lead to II
----B)Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision
----C) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and voted on by adcom for II on later on for acceptance/WL/rejection

********AMCAS 2020 Timeline Summary ************
-AMCAS May 1, 2019, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
-AMCAS May 30, 2019, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted.
-You enter the verification queue (“time to verify”) only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
-AMCAS does not, repeat, does not verify LOR or MCAT score. Your primary application will be verified regardless of LOR or MCAT score status
-AMCAS June 28, 2019, begins transmission verified applications (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-While applications are transmitted at end of June, most schools do not start any processing until at least mid-July at the earliest; even then, most dont get up to full speed until mid-August.
-There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----1) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. At some schools, preset criteria or informal policy can lead to II at this stage.
----2) Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision. Application are not typically evaluated until complete with Primary, Secondary, MCAT, and LOR
----3) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and voted on by adcom for II on later on for acceptance/WL/rejection
-Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at some schools.
-Schools receive 5,000-10,000 application but can only evaluate several hundred applications a week. Therefore, it can take anywhere from 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) or more to be evaluated, reviewed and invited for interview after your application is complete.
-Schools must reduce several thousand applications to several hundred interviews. Therefore at least 80% of applicants at any individual school must be rejected pre-interview.
-Applicants should check each applicant portal daily until application is marked complete, under review, or similar. After that, you should check applicant portal 2 to 3 times as week as schools may invite you for interview solely by portal; some schools do not send email for interview invite.
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by middle of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day is early/ontime. By late or end of September is about middle/normal speed, by end of October is about late.
--After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted, the finite number of interview slots, and seats given by rolling admissions. These aren’t absolute dates nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2020 application cycle (see count above) review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.

Updated AMCAS 2020 Links
AMCAS 2019 Student PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
AMCAS 2020 Student PowerPoint Presentation (PPT)
AMCAS 2020 Application Webinar for Prehealth Advisors (PDF Slides)
AMCAS 2020 Prehealth Advisor Resources (includes Webinar recording for above slides)
AMCAS Tools and Tutorials
AMCAS 2020 Applicant Guide
How Does AMCAS Work
AMCAS Overview Part I
AMCAS Overview Part II
AMCAS Overview Part III
AMCAS Application Tutorial - How to Enter Basic Course Work
AMCAS Application Tutorial - How to Enter AP Course Work
AMCAS Application Tutorial - How to Enter Current/Future Course Work
AMCAS Application Tutorial - How to Enter Study Abroad Course Work
AMCAS Application Tutorial - How to Add Letter of Evaluation Entries & Assign them to Med Schools
AMCAS How to Match A Letter Tutorial
AMCAS Course Classification Guide
Participating Medical Schools and Deadlines
How to Apply to Medical School with AMCAS
Sections 1-3 of the AMCAS® application: Your Background Information
Section 4 of the AMCAS® application: Course Work
Section 5 of the AMCAS® application: Work and Activities
Section 6 of the AMCAS® application: Letters of Evaluation
Section 7 of the AMCAS® application: Medical Schools
AMCAS (2017) Medical School Applications by the Numbers - Infographic
Ask Admissions Webinar: How to Present Yourself as a Strong Applicant
Ask Admissions Webinar: How to Select Letter Writers and What Admissions Committees Learn About You
Mission Fit: Applying to the Right Medical Schools for You

Members don't see this ad :)
If I took AP Chem in high school and received credit for it at my college but retook the series in college since I was feeling rusty with the content, do I only list the AP class or should I list the college class as well? I received a grade for the college class but it's listed as a repeat since I received AP credit. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
If I took AP Chem in high school and received credit for it at my college but retook the series in college since I was feeling rusty with the content, do I only list the AP class or should I list the college class as well? I received a grade for the college class but it's listed as a repeat since I received AP credit. Thanks!

You list both the credit given for the AP and the actual retake. You then mark BOTH as a retake

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf#page=40
If you take a college-level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same
institution, AMCAS considers the course a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your
AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate
institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

TIP from AMCAS

Quick question,
If i took some gen ed classes at a community college over 2 summers and transferred them to my university, do i still need to submit a transcript from the community college?

I registered to be a postbac, but never ended up taking any courses from my degree granting institution. While I know I have to report this on schools attended as a postbac regardless and I should transcript exempt, what would my exception reason be?

AMCAS allows these options, but none of them particularly sound like my issue.

Canadian CEGEP or Grade 13 Program.
Current/Future coursework (spring, summer, fall).
Multiple Degree or Consortium/Cross Registration Program with no separate transcript available.
Foreign Institution or Study abroad program sponsored by U.S., U.S. territorial or Canadian institution- Credits transferred.
Foreign Institution - No Credits transferred.

Sorry if this is answered already, and thanks in advanced!

I registered to be a postbac, but never ended up taking any courses from my degree granting institution. While I know I have to report this on schools attended as a postbac regardless and I should transcript exempt, what would my exception reason be?

AMCAS allows these options, but none of them particularly sound like my issue.

Canadian CEGEP or Grade 13 Program.
Current/Future coursework (spring, summer, fall).
Multiple Degree or Consortium/Cross Registration Program with no separate transcript available.
Foreign Institution or Study abroad program sponsored by U.S., U.S. territorial or Canadian institution- Credits transferred.
Foreign Institution - No Credits transferred.

Sorry if this is answered already, and thanks in advanced!
I am not sure, you will have call AMCAS

I posted this over on the Non trad forum with no responses. Hopefully someone over here will know.

My question is regarding the school's section on the applications. I attended a total of 4 schools. 2 of them twice for different programs. My basic timeline is as such.
FSU 08/2001-05/2002
NWFSC 08/2002-05/2003 A.A degree
UWF 05/2003-12/2005 B.S. Finance

in 2014 I went back to school at NWFSC
NWFSC 2014-present as I had to take my physics 2 course over there due to a scheduling conflict at UWF. A.S. Emergency medical services(paramedic school)
PSC one summer course 5/2018
UWF 01/2018-present for prereqs and upper-level bio courses.

Do I list it like that or like this:

FSU 08/2001-05/2002
NWFSC 08/2002-present A.A degree, A.S. Emergency medical services
UWF 05/2003-present B.S. Finance
PSC 5/2018

like this:

FSU 08/2001-05/2002
NWFSC 08/2002-present A.A degree, A.S. Emergency medical services
UWF 05/2003-present B.S. Finance
PSC 5/2018
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf#page=20
• If you were enrolled in more than one program at an institution (e.g., undergraduate and graduate),
create a separate entry for each program. Please request separate transcripts for your undergraduate
and graduate programs.

Actually either way is correct, but the prferred method is the above as it represents the context in which you went to college. I presume all coursework for a school will be on a single transcript. If so, then you can request transcript for first listing of school and note transcript exception for second listing

Well - AMCAS 2020 is finally here. Excited to get on this wild ride with all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you SO MUCH for this thread. It hits every question I've had, so far. :)

I have a question about entering dates attended for a school:

The guide clearly states that if you attend an institution for separate programs, then you should have two entries for the school. What if it's all one program (undergraduate), but there are some interruptions? My early undergraduate period was rather inconsistent: I attended a community college for freshman and sophomore year (this was a little under a decade ago, around 2010), then transferred to a university where I completed my junior year and half of my senior year. I then stopped attending that university and took a single 24 credit class at the original community college (it was an "intensive" certification course for my job, but I hadn't completed a degree yet so some of those credits applied to my undergraduate degree). After taking that course, I didn't return to the university until 2 years later to complete the final semester of my senior year and earn my degree. The way I have it entered right now looks like this:

Community College Years Attended 2010-2014 (even though I didn't attend any classes there for all of 2012 or 2013)
University Years Attended 2012-2016 (even though I didn't attend any classes there for 2014 or 2015)

Is this correct, or should I have separate entries for each period that I actually was in attendance at that school?

EDIT: I am re-reading arjusmc's post above and see that my situation is similar, with the only difference being that all of these courses above are part of the same program. If I'm reading correctly what @gonnif said, then I can list it either way?

Last edited:
I hope this is the correct place for this question. I have a W on my transcript this semester, but other than that I don't anticipate my grades being any different than my other semesters and I'm not taking any pre-req classes. Should I wait until my school posts official grades to send my transcript or update schools as I go with this semester's grades? I'm just concerned about updating with a W rather than having it be on the initial transcript they see. I realize this might be a little neurotic pre med of me but wanted to ask!

The guide clearly states that if you attend an institution for separate programs, then you should have two entries for the school. What if it's all one program (undergraduate), but there are some interruptions? My early undergraduate period was rather inconsistent: I attended a community college for freshman and sophomore year (this was a little under a decade ago, around 2010), then transferred to a university where I completed my junior year and half of my senior year. I then stopped attending that university and took a single 24 credit class at the original community college (it was an "intensive" certification course for my job, but I hadn't completed a degree yet so some of those credits applied to my undergraduate degree). After taking that course, I didn't return to the university until 2 years later to complete the final semester of my senior year and earn my degree. The way I have it entered right now looks like this:

Community College Years Attended 2010-2014 (even though I didn't attend any classes there for all of 2012 or 2013)
University Years Attended 2012-2016 (even though I didn't attend any classes there for 2014 or 2015)

Is this correct, or should I have separate entries for each period that I actually was in attendance at that school?

EDIT: I am re-reading arjusmc's post above and see that my situation is similar, with the only difference being that all of these courses above are part of the same program. If I'm reading correctly what @gonnif said, then I can list it either way?

I was reading through the application guide and found this:

"If you were enrolled in more than one program at an institution (e.g., undergraduate and graduate), create a separate entry for each program. Please request separate transcripts for your undergraduate and graduate programs." Page 13

Even though it was not graduate work, I will be separating them. On a side note, If you are applying DO as well it is the complete opposite. ACCOMAS wants it kept together.

I was reading through the application guide and found this:

"If you were enrolled in more than one program at an institution (e.g., undergraduate and graduate), create a separate entry for each program. Please request separate transcripts for your undergraduate and graduate programs." Page 13

Even though it was not graduate work, I will be separating them. On a side note, If you are applying DO as well it is the complete opposite. ACCOMAS wants it kept together.

Just to clarify: For AMCAS, you can list all UG programs, under one schools entry. However, I advise students to separate them and list school multiple times for example if you have AA, BA and PB from same college. The reason is an adcom reading your application can see the "context' of your background

Hey I have two questions.

1. If I took physics at another institution over the summer that I used as transfer credit at my home institution, do I list it as transfer credit at my home institution, list the grades I got at the other school and put it under that school only, or both? I would think that I would list it under the summer school but just want to make sure.

2. A couple of the schools I am applying to want two LoR from science faculty. My PI in the lab I did research in is technically science faculty and I got credit for doing research two semesters, so I did "have her" for two semesters even though it was not in a classroom setting. Does this count as science faculty or should I find someone else? I know my letter from her will be strong and I'm worried about getting a weaker LoR to satisfy something that her letter would already satisfy.

Thanks!

1. If I took physics at another institution over the summer that I used as transfer credit at my home institution, do I list it as transfer credit at my home institution, list the grades I got at the other school and put it under that school only, or both? I would think that I would list it under the summer school but just want to make sure.
List the grades only where you actually took the course

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf#page=33
Coursework Details
Under your respective postsecondary institutions, you must enter courses in chronological order
exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where you originally attempted them.
This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one
U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took Intro to Photography
at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the Schools
Attended section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add Intro to
Photography as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under
the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there. The following are the fields
that pertain to each entered course.

2. A couple of the schools I am applying to want two LoR from science faculty. My PI in the lab I did research in is technically science faculty and I got credit for doing research two semesters, so I did "have her" for two semesters even though it was not in a classroom setting. Does this count as science faculty or should I find someone else? I know my letter from her will be strong and I'm worried about getting a weaker LoR to satisfy something that her letter would already satisfy.

It depends on how the school specify the requirements.
1) Letter from Science faculty (no mention of course instruction)
2) Letter from Science faculty (requires course instruction)
3) Letter from Science faculty (from a "real" course : informal)

Both 1&2 are filled by this PI letter. You may get a school or specific evaluator who will look slightly down on this letter filling a course. But the quality of the letter matters the most and I would consider this letter fine for all uses

I have a question in regards to sending in transcripts to AMCAS.

For one of the colleges I attended which is within a district, there are currently 9 schools within that district. I attended 4 of those schools, and when I go to order a transcript from National student clearinghouse so I can send the transcript to AMCAS, this is what it says:

Effective December 1, 2017, LACCD transitioned from nine college specific transcripts to a single district transcript for all nine colleges. If you attended one or more LACCD college since 1974 and beyond, please place the transcript order at the last LACCD college you attended. The new multi-college LACCD transcript will reflect both credit and noncredit courses completed at any of the nine LACCD colleges.

Since they have combined it into one transcript such that all the schools, dates attended, class names, etc all show up on one transcript, do we STILL HAVE TO order transcripts separately from each institution when sending to AMCAS, or can we as the instructions above say just "Place the transcript order at the last LACCD college you attended"? I'm wondering because this would save a lot of time and money if I can order one transcript with all the colleges/grades on there rather than ordering 4 separate ones. I'm thinking even if I do order separate ones, they will all look the same, so why order 4 vs 1.

I appreciate the feedback in advance. Thanks

I have a question in regards to sending in transcripts to AMCAS.

For one of the colleges I attended which is within a district, there are currently 9 schools within that district. I attended 4 of those schools, and when I go to order a transcript from National student clearinghouse so I can send the transcript to AMCAS, this is what it says:

Effective December 1, 2017, LACCD transitioned from nine college specific transcripts to a single district transcript for all nine colleges. If you attended one or more LACCD college since 1974 and beyond, please place the transcript order at the last LACCD college you attended. The new multi-college LACCD transcript will reflect both credit and noncredit courses completed at any of the nine LACCD colleges.

Since they have combined it into one transcript such that all the schools, dates attended, class names, etc all show up on one transcript, do we STILL HAVE TO order transcripts separately from each institution when sending to AMCAS, or can we as the instructions above say just "Place the transcript order at the last LACCD college you attended"? I'm wondering because this would save a lot of time and money if I can order one transcript with all the colleges/grades on there rather than ordering 4 separate ones. I'm thinking even if I do order separate ones, they will all look the same, so why order 4 vs 1.

I appreciate the feedback in advance. Thanks
List 4 schools
order 1 transcript (for last school as LACCD states)
note transcript exception for other 3

Transcript Exception Request
Multiple degree or consortium/cross registration program with no separate transcript available°Choose this option if no separate transcript is available from the school where coursework was attempted. Only one transcript is required for schools that you attended more than once, as long as all coursework appears on the same official transcript.

Went to take courses at a university in high school, but don't have an official transcript any more. Should I use the course names from the university website or should I order a transcript for myself so that course names match what is exactly on the trancript?

Edit: Also is it beneficial to include (next) fall semester courses? Do you need to do this?

1) I had AP credit for 2 intro biology courses that were accepted at a community college but not at my 4 year undergrad. I have those AP credits on my CC transcript but I also took those same classes at my 4 year because they weren't accepted there. So I have those credits on my 4 year transcript as classes I actually took rather than transfer or AP credits. Do I include those classes on my 4 year undergrad list?

2) Is there a way to just transfer info if we applied in a past cycle to automatically populate for the 2020 application?

Also, if one of my parents is a doctor but got their degree in another country and never practiced in the U.S., do I mark their degree as MD or "Don't know"

Went to take courses at a university in high school, but don't have an official transcript any more. Should I use the course names from the university website or should I order a transcript for myself so that course names match what is exactly on the trancript?

Edit: Also is it beneficial to include (next) fall semester courses? Do you need to do this?
You MUST order the transcript and you MUST match the names.

1) I had AP credit for 2 intro biology courses that were accepted at a community college but not at my 4 year undergrad. I have those AP credits on my CC transcript but I also took those same classes at my 4 year because they weren't accepted there. So I have those credits on my 4 year transcript as classes I actually took rather than transfer or AP credits. Do I include those classes on my 4 year undergrad list?

2) Is there a way to just transfer info if we applied in a past cycle to automatically populate for the 2020 application?
1. Yes you do AND you must mark the AP CC BIO and the 4-year UG BIO as repeats
2. AMCAS only repopulates an application from the immediate past cycle. So unless you submitted an application in 2018 for 2019 class, it will not rollover info

Hi! I am re-applicant and last application, I identified myself as disadvantaged because I grew up in a third world country lacking healthcare facilities and vaccines. In fact, I never had the complete and timely set of vaccines until I moved to America.

I am applying this year: Is it okay that I do not consider myself as disadvantaged anymore? I feel like it hurts my application more than it helps me.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Hi! I am re-applicant and last application, I identified myself as disadvantaged because I grew up in a third world country lacking healthcare facilities and vaccines. In fact, I never had the complete and timely set of vaccines until I moved to America.

I am applying this year: Is it okay that I do not consider myself as disadvantaged anymore? I feel like it hurts my application more than it helps me.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
You can do so but why?

1) it is neurotic to think that noting that you are disadvantage negatively impacted your application
2) your life history should be a major part of your application especially showing adversity, challenge, resiliency etc
3) all schools you applied to previously can see your previous disadvantage status

Your belief that this lessened your chances is 180 degrees from reality

Hi,

I have a question about listing a course on AMCAS. I switched to medicine path from a graduate program in physics, and the transcript from the graduate program lists a class as "Dropped (DR)". Even though I never attended any class, I officially withdrew from the program after the starting date of the course, so I think that's why it appears on the transcript. I know that I don't have to add any dropped courses on AMCAS, but since the course appears on my transcript, should I still add it and choose "withdrawal" under Special Course Types?

In AMCAS manual, it states:

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type."

So I guess I need to list it and label it as Withdrawal? I'm a bit confused since I thought I had to ignore all dropped courses...

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I have a question about listing a course on AMCAS. I switched to medicine path from a graduate program in physics, and the transcript from the graduate program lists a class as "Dropped (DR)". Even though I never attended any class, I officially withdrew from the program after the starting date of the course, so I think that's why it appears on the transcript. I know that I don't have to add any dropped courses on AMCAS, but since the course appears on my transcript, should I still add it and choose "withdrawal" under Special Course Types?

In AMCAS manual, it states:

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type."

So I guess I need to list it and label it as Withdrawal? I'm a bit confused since I thought I had to ignore all dropped courses...

Thank you so much!
As you noted in AMCAS Withdrawal with special course type

When filling out the list of courses in AMCAS would Ethnic Studies fall under Special Studies or Other? The field is not listed in the AMCAS guide.

When filling out the list of courses in AMCAS would Ethnic Studies fall under Special Studies or Other? The field is not listed in the AMCAS guide.
You could list it as such or simply sociology as BESS

1. My undergrad official transcript lists AP credit as "ADVANCED PLACEMENT" and then indicates total units. How would I classify this (Biology? Mathematics? Other?) and would I also keep it grouped together on AMCAS?
2. I took a CC course in high school my senior year. I assume I should list this as "summer" of my graduating year - graduating year + 1?

Thank you!

My AP credits show up as a lump credit on my transcript. Some of the exams ie. AP Bio, could technically have been used to waive Intro Bio at my school, but the school "strongly recommended" taking the college-level Bio series to better prepare students, so I took Bio at my school. The AP exam names don't appear on my transcript, just the lump credit. Do I still need to list the college level Bio as a repeat?

1. My undergrad official transcript lists AP credit as "ADVANCED PLACEMENT" and then indicates total units. How would I classify this (Biology? Mathematics? Other?) and would I also keep it grouped together on AMCAS?
2. I took a CC course in high school my senior year. I assume I should list this as "summer" of my graduating year - graduating year + 1?
My AP credits show up as a lump credit on my transcript. Some of the exams ie. AP Bio, could technically have been used to waive Intro Bio at my school, but the school "strongly recommended" taking the college-level Bio series to better prepare students, so I took Bio at my school. The AP exam names don't appear on my transcript, just the lump credit. Do I still need to list the college level Bio as a repeat?

You can either list as the lump sum of AP credits or you can divide them reasonably across the AP classes you have taken (6 credits BIO; 8 credits CHEM). I advise applicant to note the AP classes taken and assign approximate credit as to give your academic record context. Additionally, if you have been awarded credit via AP and then take the actual college course, you must separate the lump AP credit and note the class as a repeat. So medical schools may require AP exam reports as part of prematriculation and you dont want to be caught on a incredibly silly-ass ethical violation like that (see below)

As for a CC class in high school, you get the official college transcript for it, list the college you took it as, as list it as in HS

For dates attended for college, can you set the end date to a future date (I'll be graduating next year) or is it only until now?

no, i do not believe so.
Sorry I should have clarified. I actually already have the end date set to May 2020. I was just wondering if this is alright or if I should instead just set it to May 2019.

I took and failed APUSH in high school, this is on my transcript so I'm assuming it must go in the AMCAS.
1) Will this reflect poorly on me?
2) For AP credit classes, do we put in our score as the grade, or just leave that blank?
3) For AP classes that we recieved no credit for due to a failing grade, do we simply put "0" as the credit hours?
4) If I took a US History class (I'm not sure if it covers the same exact credit as APUSH, it was US history before 1877) at a CC during highschool, should this be considered a retake?

List 4 schools
order 1 transcript (for last school as LACCD states)
note transcript exception for other 3

Transcript Exception Request
Multiple degree or consortium/cross registration program with no separate transcript available°Choose this option if no separate transcript is available from the school where coursework was attempted. Only one transcript is required for schools that you attended more than once, as long as all coursework appears on the same official transcript.
Do you know if the same can be done/applies to AACOMAS when sending transcripts to them?

Under course classification would a medical terminology class be classified as HEAL (Health Sciences) when listing it on AMCAS under course work?

Would a lack of Spanish speaking doctors during my childhood be considered medical underserved? It was a rural area, and nobody spoke Spanish. My parents and relatives are Spanish speakers.
I believe yourzip code will determine if you lived in a medically underserved are, at
Under course classification would a medical terminology class be classified as HEAL (Health Sciences) when listing it on AMCAS under course work?
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.