*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To both of you:
(video)
Thanks, I already watched that. I did find more info in the guide though.
To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered under the term the college credit was initially granted for. If no term is designated, include the credits with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses may be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the AP exams taken. 2020 AMCAS® Applicant Guide 30 Association of American Medical Colleges If you choose to omit your AP courses, AMCAS staff will add the credits to your application as a lump credit (even though the courses may be listed individually on the transcripts on file).
Still not sure I can pick which institution's credits I'm allowed to claim, nor am I sure if I am bound to report the AP credits from both institutions (if the sin of omission is a thing with AP credit mumbo jumbo like it would be with actual classes)

Members don't see this ad.

To both of you:

It's honestly not a very clear video. The woman states that her transcript "lumps together" her AP Credit but then lists her AP classes individually on AMCAS, never addressing the discrepancy. It is implied but should be specified "separate your AP Credit even if it is grouped together on your transcript," or something to that effect. But thanks for the video.

It's honestly not a very clear video. The woman states that her transcript "lumps together" her AP Credit but then lists her AP classes individually on AMCAS, never addressing the discrepancy. It is implied but should be specified "separate your AP Credit even if it is grouped together on your transcript," or something to that effect. But thanks for the video.
Hmmm I guess I thought it was clear when having the 2020 Application Guide open next to it.

Yes, if your AP credits are lumped together, it is kind of an honor based system for you to divide them evenly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I already watched that. I did find more info in the guide though.

Still not sure I can pick which institution's credits I'm allowed to claim, nor am I sure if I am bound to report the AP credits from both institutions (if the sin of omission is a thing with AP credit mumbo jumbo like it would be with actual classes)
You should use the credits granted by the institution that gave you the most credits.

You should use the credits granted by the institution that gave you the most credits.
Thanks for the input. One thing I just realized is that without the AP credits from my undergraduate, I wouldn't have had enough credits to graduate. Will anyone care about this?

Thanks for the input. One thing I just realized is that without the AP credits from my undergraduate, I wouldn't have had enough credits to graduate. Will anyone care about this?
I highly doubt it so long as you have all of the prerequisite and actually can graduate

I am taking the MCAT in a couple weeks. I plan to submit my app to a throwaway on 5/30 to get it verified. I am wondering how long it will take once I have my score in late June (before most schools start to send out secondaries) to update my app with my score. Also, how would this affect my application's place in line? Would it be just based on when I submit on 5/30, or would my MCAT score coming in late push it back? Thank you!
1) Your MCAT score will be updated to your AMCAS within a business day once it is released
2) Your score (or lack thereof) will not affect your place in the AMCAS processing (verification) or transmission queue
3) Even prior to verification and transmissions, schools get an electronic file notification from AMCAS. This includes applicant name, AMCAS ID, and contact info and allows schools to open a file
4) Your application will be transmitted to schools when verification is complete, beginning June 28th
5) Your place in line at each individual school is based on the each individual school's policy, process and procedure and usually has nothing to do with your submission and transmission date.
6) Some schools may send secondaries blind based on file notification prior to verification and transmission, many send unscreened that may or may not wait for MCAT score, some will screen with GPA and MCAT
7) Schools usually do not evaluate and review application in linear chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
8) Schools do not begin full evaluations until your file is complete with primary, secondary, MCAT and LOR.
9) Schools may get several thousand applications but only can review several hundred a week. Therefore, it can take 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) after your application file is complete to be evaluated, reviewed and get an interview inite
10) with these numbers, individual schools must reject at least 80% of applications prior to II

********AMCAS 2020 Timeline Summary (post count #005)************
-AMCAS May 1, 2019, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
-AMCAS May 30, 2019, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted.

-You enter the verification queue (“time to verify”) only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
-AMCAS does not, repeat, does not verify LOR or MCAT score. Your primary application will be verified regardless of LOR or MCAT score status
-AMCAS June 28, 2019, begins transmission verified applications (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-While applications are transmitted at end of June, most schools do not start any processing until at least mid-July at the earliest; even then, most dont get up to full speed until mid-August.
-There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----1) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. At some schools, preset criteria or informal policy can lead to II at this stage.
----2) Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision. Application are not typically evaluated until complete with Primary, Secondary, MCAT, and LOR
----3) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and voted on by adcom for II on later on for acceptance/WL/rejection
-Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at some schools.
-Schools receive 5,000-10,000 application but can only evaluate several hundred applications a week. Therefore, it can take anywhere from 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) or more to be evaluated, reviewed and invited for interview after your application is complete.
-Schools must reduce several thousand applications to several hundred interviews. Therefore at least 80% of applicants at any individual school must be rejected pre-interview.
-Applicants should check each applicant portal daily until application is marked complete, under review, or similar. After that, you should check applicant portal 2 to 3 times as week as schools may invite you for interview solely by portal; some schools do not send email for interview invite.
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by middle of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day is early/ontime. By late or end of September is about middle/normal speed, by end of October is about late.
--After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted, the finite number of interview slots, and seats given by rolling admissions. These aren’t absolute dates nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2020 application cycle (see count above) review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt it so long as you have all of the prerequisite and actually can graduate

Just to add
1) the majority of schools do not take AP credits to fulfill prereqs requirements
2) for purposes of admissions, total number of credits from all sources that are acceptable to your UG will be acceptable to med school

My AP credits show up as a lump credit on my transcript. Some of the exams ie. AP Bio, could technically have been used to waive Intro Bio at my school, but the school "strongly recommended" taking the college-level Bio series to better prepare students, so I took Bio at my school. The AP exam names don't appear on my transcript, just the lump credit. Do I still need to list the college level Bio as a repeat?
yes, it is a repeat

I have the same question. My AP credits were awarded as a freshman in 2001, so it's been a long time. I know they, at least internally, counted the credits towards specific classes, but it's only on my transcripts as a block.

Additionally, somehow, the community college that I went to a year or so ago for post-bac work also awarded credits for my AP work, plus they offer them for specific classes above and beyond the credits that my 4-year university offered. Obviously I don't think I should "double dip" but I'm not sure about this exact protocol. Can I pick and choose? One institution offered chemistry credits while the other did not, and the other institution offered me 8 credits of history that the other only offered maybe 3-4 credits (can't remember any more and it's not in the transcript).

One more thing: if I try to add the AP credits from the CC, it won't let me select the correct year (it's in the transcript as awarded in the 2000-2001 school year, but my drop-down menu doesn't go back that far).

Advanced Placement (AP)
To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered
under the term the college credit was initially granted for. If no term is designated, include the credits
with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement
as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by
more than one institution. AP courses may be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit.
If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the

AP exams taken.

In general, can a high GPA/MCAT make up for a lack in other areas (I have no non-clinical volunteering at the moment)?

In general, can a high GPA/MCAT make up for a lack in other areas (I have no non-clinical volunteering at the moment)?
No, as a rule of thumb, traditional applicants should have at 150 hours each of clinical volunteering and non-clinical/community service to be considered solid candidates

Hi - I posted this question in a separate thread but figured it would be more appropriate here:

I'm an older student (early 30s), finished my post-bac program 2.5 years ago, applying this cycle for my first time, and currently taking one summer upper division bio course (started a couple days ago) because I want more recent coursework on my application. I'm unclear about the amcas policy regarding transcripts for current/future courses.

The course ends 6/12, and the grade posts 6/20, however I want to submit amcas on 6/1. If I list this summer course as in progress on amcas, will I be required to include the corresponding transcript (which would prevent me from submitting on June 1)? Will I need to request a transcript exception for this school (this will be the first, and probably the only course I take at this particular school)? Or will I be able to submit amcas on June 1 without this transcript? I was planning on sending update letters to individual schools after the grade posts.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to thank you and the others for responding.

You and @LizzyM put it succinctly for me in why I should address the issue because it will in fact help me connect with future patients that other physicians will disregard unwillingly. I think my past makes me, in part, an excellent prospect as an aspiring physician.

as my adviser and I spoke about my needing to initiate the AAMC application, and as already stated, I got emotional. She told me I needed to get to the point of being able to discuss my "worthiness" of being a physician without getting emotional (tears in my eyes). This is something I need to overcome and I hope in time I can discuss my past with anyone and not be a bowl of jello. For now, it's who I am

You aren't kidding. I have always felt that my biggest accomplishment in life (damned miracle) is to have a fluid command of the English language in spite of it being my 2nd language. Few people detect an accent in my English, and I am able to speak in public to crowds or audiences without "letting on" that I'm an immigrant. There is no where on the AAMC application that gives one a bonus point for mastering English considering my background, but maybe I should share that as well.

As I initiated the AAMC application 2 days ago, I hit a rough patch. I'm older, have worked over 20 years with surgeons as an OR Tech, married, kids, undergraduate and graduate degrees, competitive GPA, etc. I'm not intimidated by the AAMC application in the slightest. Until I hit the questions about my parents. Even now as I type I am getting emotional, wuss that I am. When the questions are asked about the level of education they achieved, there was no satisfactory drop down menu to describe their education: 2nd and 3rd grade. When it asked their career, ditto: housekeeper in a hospital for mom, dad had a similar situation. As I saw the options on the drop down menus for applicants to select their parents educational and career jobs, I thought, "how am I ever going to compete with that!?" When it asked for my work history, I started to cry knowing I started working at age 14 to make money to buy my own plastic shoes, paper/school supplies, etc. I felt no shame in the slightest about my parents because they were my heroes. They have been deceased for a while. I'm fortunate to have been loved by the best parents in the world because they embodied love. Still, I got myself together, signed out of AAMC after saving my entries, and told myself I'd get around to it once I was emotionally prepared.

If anything it will be a damned miracle if I can get through an interview and not cry out of genuine self-pride about my past, my parents and what they did for us to "make it" in America. It's not glorious. Others have had it worse.

so yes, I need to be with patients who have a similar background as me. Telling the gate-keepers about it without being an emotional wreck: time will tell

Thank you once again

someone who get emotional and cries during an interview during an appropriate moment will be fine. see my post

Medical school Interview Help

Hi - I posted this question in a separate thread but figured it would be more appropriate here:

I'm an older student (early 30s), finished my post-bac program 2.5 years ago, applying this cycle for my first time, and currently taking one summer upper division bio course (started a couple days ago) because I want more recent coursework on my application. I'm unclear about the amcas policy regarding transcripts for current/future courses.

The course ends 6/12, and the grade posts 6/20, however I want to submit amcas on 6/1. If I list this summer course as in progress on amcas, will I be required to include the corresponding transcript (which would prevent me from submitting on June 1)? Will I need to request a transcript exception for this school (this will be the first, and probably the only course I take at this particular school)? Or will I be able to submit amcas on June 1 without this transcript? I was planning on sending update letters to individual schools after the grade posts.

You dont need to have on transcript nor have an exception nor worry about it. Submit June 1st with transcript you have.

What classification do I give to a directed study research project? It involved annotating a genome, so I was thinking maybe biology because the transcript lists it as BIO398? I received a grade and 2 credits if that matters.

I requested an official transcript for myself and it looked extremely barebones (literally my name, major, list of courses, a single letter associated with each course, and a concise legend).

Notably, there are no credit notations for any of my courses, but there is a guide that states 1 credit/course = 4 credit hours. At my school, all courses, regardless of workload carry one internal credit, but there is no difference in prominence between the single credit / four credit hours. Should I be putting 4 credit hours or 1 credit for each of my courses on AMCAS?

Also, AP credits are given special notation as transfer courses, but are not explicitly stated to carry 0 credits (as on our internal transcripts, and there is a special code on the transcript for zero-credit courses). Should I be entering this in AMCAS in accordance with what would be the natural implication from the transcript, or being consistent with our internal records?

We also have a distinction between courses that were required to be pass fail and ones that were elective pass fall. One is notated with a * after the normal pass grade. Though the grade is functionally identical, should I be carrying this distinction (i.e. S vs S*) over to the application?

EDIT: I found out a friend called AMCAS before, so if anybody wants to know, they said to leave the credit hours entry blank for all of our courses. I don't think this extends to schools aside from ours though, since we go to a school that is well-known for its weird grading system/philosophy.

Last edited:

You dont need to have on transcript nor have an exception nor worry about it. Submit June 1st with transcript you have.

If you want more recent coursework on your application it is counterintuitive to apply without that transcript. Or do you intend to apply with that transcript but without the grade. Frankly, IMHO, submitting 3 weeks later and before July 1 will not make a difference in a cycle.
Far better to submit with the grade unless the writing on the wall is that the grade will be nothing to brag about in which case, you should apply quickly before the grade is posted.

Reactions: 1 users
I've noticed that many medical schools require a semester or two of college English. I didn't take any courses in the English department at my undergraduate university, but I took a writing seminar and a "textual analysis" course that fulfilled the requirements for my degree. Should I classify these courses as English on AMCAS, even though the writing seminar was a philosophy course and the "textual analysis" course was a women and gender studies course? Just wondering if I will get auto-screened if I don't have anything listed as English.

If you want more recent coursework on your application it is counterintuitive to apply without that transcript. Or do you intend to apply with that transcript but without the grade. Frankly, IMHO, submitting 3 weeks later and before July 1 will not make a difference in a cycle.
Far better to submit with the grade unless the writing on the wall is that the grade will be nothing to brag about in which case, you should apply quickly before the grade is posted.

Thank you both

My official transcript has the titles of my courses extremely abbreviated, to the point that one cannot tell what the course was for some of them. Do I have to enter the course titles letter for letter how they are listed on my transcript or can I spell out some words for clarity?

I have noted that the Applicant Guide allows us to abbreviate on AMCAS if the course name is too long on the transcript.

I've noticed that many medical schools require a semester or two of college English. I didn't take any courses in the English department at my undergraduate university, but I took a writing seminar and a "textual analysis" course that fulfilled the requirements for my degree. Should I classify these courses as English on AMCAS, even though the writing seminar was a philosophy course and the "textual analysis" course was a women and gender studies course? Just wondering if I will get auto-screened if I don't have anything listed as English.
1) Medical schools do not, repeat, do use AMCAS for checking prerequisites; this is typically done after you take up an offer of acceptance
2) Some medical schools specifically require english courses as opposed to intensive writing or other substitutes.
3) I suggest you get some or else do not apply to schools that specifically require them

My official transcript has the titles of my courses extremely abbreviated, to the point that one cannot tell what the course was for some of them. Do I have to enter the course titles letter for letter how they are listed on my transcript or can I spell out some words for clarity?

I have noted that the Applicant Guide allows us to abbreviate on AMCAS if the course name is too long on the transcript.

Medical schools and AMCAS will know what they they mean. I advise all students to use EXACTLY what is on the transcript and do not change

2) Some medical schools specifically require english courses as opposed to intensive writing or other substitutes.

That would be pretty dumb of the schools, considering my writing seminar was basically an English composition class on steroids and my textual analysis class required reading at least one novel a week. But thank you for your help, regardless!

What classification do I give to a directed study research project? It involved annotating a genome, so I was thinking maybe biology because the transcript lists it as BIO398? I received a grade and 2 credits if that matters.
Biology

So I did 20 hours during high school, and I have 1 transcript with my concurrent enrollment credits (some of them are spanish 1 and 2).
Only 17 credits were accepted by my university, but they were accepted with gpa.
Then my university gave me an extra 12 credits of spanish because of my AP exam, spanish 1 and 2 included, but not with letter grades.

My 4 year transcript has the credits listed, but no name attached to them. It looks like this:
Ehrs: 10.00 GPA: 3.30
Ehrs: 7.00 GPA: 3.43
Ehrs: 12.00 GPA: 0.00

What should I do? How can I include them even if they don't have a name?

So I did 20 hours during high school, and I have 1 transcript with my concurrent enrollment credits (some of them are spanish 1 and 2).
Only 17 credits were accepted by my university, but they were accepted with gpa.
Then my university gave me an extra 12 credits of spanish because of my AP exam, spanish 1 and 2 included, but not with letter grades.

My 4 year transcript has the credits listed, but no name attached to them. It looks like this:
Ehrs: 10.00 GPA: 3.30
Ehrs: 7.00 GPA: 3.43
Ehrs: 12.00 GPA: 0.00

What should I do? How can I include them even if they don't have a name?

For the 17 credits transferred from HS , I presume you have ordered a transcript from the original college where you actually took these courses to be sent to AMCAS . Even though your 4 year college gave you credit/GPA, they will not be used in AMCAS GPA calculation. Only the original grades as reported from the original dual enrollment will be used.

As for your question. I suggest you add the following

Ehrs: 10.00 GPA: 3.30 TRANSFER CREDIT FROM HS DUAL ENROLLMENT
Ehrs: 7.00 GPA: 3.43 TRANSFER CREDIT FROM HS DUAL ENROLLMENT
Ehrs: 12.00 GPA: 0.00 AP SPANISH 1&2

For the 17 credits transferred from HS , I presume you have ordered a transcript from the original college where you actually took these courses to be sent to AMCAS . Even though your 4 year college gave you credit/GPA, they will not be used in AMCAS GPA calculation. Only the original grades as reported from the original dual enrollment will be used.

As for your question. I suggest you add the following

Ehrs: 10.00 GPA: 3.30 TRANSFER CREDIT FROM HS DUAL ENROLLMENT
Ehrs: 7.00 GPA: 3.43 TRANSFER CREDIT FROM HS DUAL ENROLLMENT
Ehrs: 12.00 GPA: 0.00 AP SPANISH 1&2
Oh yeah both transcripts have been requested.

For the 12 AP credits my official transcript doesn't mention the classes, but the internal advising records show 4 classes with their titles and numbers. Should I just enter the whole thing as "AP Exam Spanish," or list the classes one by one in the same title?

Thanks for the reply. I am just freaking out because I don't want my app to be sent back :scared::scared:

@gonnif I had a quick question regarding the course number for one of my classes I took at a community college. On my transcript for one of my classes it says:

DEPT Course No
MUS 28

Would I put MUS 28 as the course number or just 28?

Oh yeah both transcripts have been requested.

For the 12 AP credits my official transcript doesn't mention the classes, but the internal advising records show 4 classes with their titles and numbers. Should I just enter the whole thing as "AP Exam Spanish," or list the classes one by one in the same title?

Thanks for the reply. I am just freaking out because I don't want my app to be sent back :scared::scared:
You can list it all as a lump sum Spanish or split it up by class

Thank you @gonnif . I have some courses that are zero credits and no grade that are recitation sections for lecture classes and only exist separately for scheduling purposes. Can/should I mark these courses as "Exempt" or just leave it be.

On the question that asks about percent contribution to education, phrased like this:
How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education.
does this include room/board, books, fees, living expenses? Or just tuition?
I have tried searching the forum and it doesn't say anything about it in the official guide.

On the question that asks about percent contribution to education, phrased like this:

I have tried searching the forum and it doesn't say anything about it in the official guide.

I included room/board, books, fees, etc. I had a full-tuition scholarship, family helped me with room/board, I worked part-time for books and spending money.

I included room/board, books, fees, etc. I had a full-tuition scholarship, family helped me with room/board, I worked part-time for books and spending money.

Include everything

Exact same situation. I called they said just “pick one” and list all courses under that school. Doesn’t matter which you pick.

Yeah, thanks. I talked with them a few days after posting this up and he said if its one combined transcript then its fine if you send one. In my case I chose the most recent college I attended as those were the instructions.

Would it be unwise to list a job that I just started (May 2019) as one of my activities? It's a job as a scribe, so it will help me with clinical exposure and I want adcom to know about it, but I am so far only getting trained. Thanks!
It would be okay as long as you are quite clear in the first line. Something like "recently began scribe position that will have about XX hours over the next XX months/year." Be clear these are projected

I just have a short question regarding about transcript request. During my undergraduate career, I have taken courses from community colleges and transferred it to my current 4-year undergraduate institution and the courses I have taken at those community colleges shows up on my 4-year college's transcript. I was wondering if I still need to request the transcript to be sent in to AMCAS from each of the community colleges even though they are documented in my 4-year college's transcript.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need to add future courses if they appear on your transcript? I know my schedule will change by fall.

What do I do for contact info for ancient items on my work/experiences section? I'm talking like things from 2001-2004. For most of them, nobody who is involved now was there when I was there, nor do I have contact info for the correct people who have moved on. This is for about 1/2 of my w/e section. Also, who would be the contact for things like academic scholarships, awards, etc?

What do I do for contact info for ancient items on my work/experiences section? I'm talking like things from 2001-2004. For most of them, nobody who is involved now was there when I was there, nor do I have contact info for the correct people who have moved on. This is for about 1/2 of my w/e section. Also, who would be the contact for things like academic scholarships, awards, etc?
1) If they were employment, put current company HR solely to verify employment
2) if they were relatively typical activities, you can use self
3) awards/scholarship just the school usually registrar

@Catalystik or @LizzyM may have better suggestions

Reactions: 1 users
1) If they were employment, put current company HR solely to verify employment
2) if they were relatively typical activities, you can use self
3) awards/scholarship just the school usually registrar

@Catalystik or @LizzyM may have better suggestions
Those suggestions will work fine for older activities.

Anyone know what time we can submit at this year? I've gotten conflicting information

During my freshmen year I was caught taking care of my friend while he was black out drunk in the dorms. We got sent to student judicial affairs even though I was not drunk when the RAs caught us. I was wondering if I have to put that down as an IA because we went to SJA?

1.) I retook a course for which I received AP Credit. I understand this is to be entered as a Retake. However, the AMCAS reminds me that, for Retakes, I should make a course entry with the original grade for the original course but my transcript does not display grades for AP credit courses. Should I enter in "Pass" for the AP Credit course or enter the AP credit without a grade since no grade shows on my transcript?

2.) Is it acceptable to enter AP credit for only one course and omit the rest? My transcript only shows a lump sum of credits labeled as "AP Credits", which exceeds the credits for that course. In this case, would I still need to designate "retake" courses due to AP?

Thank you.

I was an undergraduate teaching assistant two times for Organic Chemistry II. I received credit for it both times. The course number and course name stayed the same; for some reason, the first one was pass/fail and the second one was letter graded.

1. Would the course classification be EDUC (Curriculum and Instruction - since I’m helping teach students) or CHEM (the content of the class that I help taught)?

2. Would these courses be repeats of each other? The reason I ask is because the AMCAS guide says that courses designed to be repeated shouldn’t be listed as repeats, and I’m not sure if this situation qualifies.

They were patients in a non-patient setting....I would say classify it as clinical as it is about as clinical as Hospice or a senior home.

I was told I shouldn't list it as clinical, which personally I agree with. If you vounteer as a counselor and not part of the medical team then it is not clinical. Your role there is removed from medicine. They may think you were part of the medical shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.