~*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2021-2022 *~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I did not write this thread - it has been passed down through the eons by pre-allo staff.

It is that time of year again!
:partyblob::partyblob::partyblob::partyblob::partyblob::partyblob::partyblob:

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the 2021 applicant guide can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

-- -- --

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 through 2020; please let us know if there are any changes. Will be continuously updated as new information is brought to light.

General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?

The AMCAS application opens on May 3rd, 2021, and you can submit starting May 27th, 2020 @930am EST.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 3rd.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?

Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218 and (NEW!) Explain New Traffic Rules

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
AMCAS will only show you are a reapplicant to each of the individual schools you have applied to previously. No school at anytime during the AMCAS process can see if you have previously applied to any other school, nor can it see any other school your are currently applying to. No school except the individual school your are reapplying to can see any part of your previous AMCAS application, and only if they have kept it on file, which most schools do. AMCAS does not provide your previous application to any school, whether a reapplicant or not. Every MD school can see if you have been accepted previously at an MD school. While AMCAS guidelines do allow individual schools on their secondary applications to ask if you had ever previously applied to medical school, the question does not appear to be widely used. It is more common for individual schools to ask if you have ever been accepted previously matriculated at any medical school, which would include allopathic, osteopathic, or off-shore.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 3rd, 2021 -- AMCAS Application Opens
May 27th, 2021 -- First Day to Submit AMCAS
June 25th, 2021 -- First Day Applications are Transmitted to Medical Schools
October 15th, 2021 -- First Day Acceptance Offers Can Be Made
April 15th, 2022 -- AMCAS Suggests Narrowing Down to 3 Acceptances by This Date
April 30th, 2022 -- Date By Which Applicants Must Hold Only One Acceptance

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here AMCAS® FAQs

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2020 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
2021 Applicant Guide
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

If you think something should be added to the FAQ, you see something that needs to be updated, or for any other concerns, tag @TheDataKing , @PapaGuava , @gyngyn , @Matthew9Thirtyfive , @Lucca , or @Moko, or @wysdoc in one of your posts (or PM us!). If you do this, it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE help if you post the link to your source in your post!

Thanks and best of luck everyone!

Link to last year's thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
-Timing matters to getting your application in. Once you are in and evaluated, timing has little impact on your chances. It is a myth that schools fill all the seats early and then just have alternate slots.
Is it really a myth, or is the myth that there are plenty of seats to go around, and schools are careful to set seats aside so that everyone who applies by the deadline has an equal shot? I mean, I understand why schools wouldn't want to advertise that their deadlines aren't really the deadlines, so as not to discourage people from applying late in case a superstar comes in at the end, but, still.

One of our favorite, most blunt adcoms admitted that interviewing for the WL is a thing, and schools don't necessarily wait until the bitter end of the cycle to do it!

It's definitely true at my school! We've already started interviewing people for the waitlist, and this is the earliest it's ever happened in our history.

We normally wait to do this until April.

Last edited:
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number.
For those of us who have already taken the MCAT, is the AMCAS ID the same as the AAMC ID? I used my AAMC ID when signing up for Casper, and also had to use it when applying for my committee letter earlier this week. Just checking to make sure I used the right number lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us who have already taken the MCAT, is the AMCAS ID the same as the AAMC ID? I used my AAMC ID when signing up for Casper, and also had to use it when applying for my committee letter earlier this week. Just checking to make sure I used the right number lol
Yup. You only get one AAMC ID number, and it follows you everywhere! :)

If I send in my transcript (without Spring 2021 grades) to AMCAS today, but I'll be able to enter in my Spring grades on AMCAS before May 27 (when submission opens), will I have to send in an updated transcript (with those new spring grades) before my application is able to be verified?

I ask because my spring grades don't come out until May 24 and I intend on submitting on May 27, but I want to ensure that there won't be any delays in getting my application verified.

Relatively minor question regarding a question under "Childhood Information":
"How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education. The percentages entered should equal 100%"

One category is "Academic Scholarship," and another is "Financial Need-Based Scholarship."
Grant aid from my undergraduate institution would pretty clearly go under the latter. However, in any given year, I also had 4-5 scholarships granted by scholarship funds from organizations back in my home state, and these scholarships were given based on combined bases of merit and demonstrated financial need. For those, which category would they fall under? I am leaning toward "Academic Scholarship."

If I send in my transcript (without Spring 2021 grades) to AMCAS today, but I'll be able to enter in my Spring grades on AMCAS before May 27 (when submission opens), will I have to send in an updated transcript (with those new spring grades) before my application is able to be verified?

I ask because my spring grades don't come out until May 24 and I intend on submitting on May 27, but I want to ensure that there won't be any delays in getting my application verified.
There might be a delay, but you can't avoid it. You WILL have a problem if you enter classes and grades that do not appear on your transcript.

You can certainly submit your primary on 5/27 and submit your transcript whenever it is available, but if you send a transcript now that does not line up with what you submit, it will create an exception and you will have a delay. This is what the whole verification process is about! :)

My STRONG advice would be to submit your primary as soon as it is ready, and to not submit your transcript until the one that corresponds to the grades and classes you reported on your primary is ready. It is pointless to submit a transcript that does not validate your primary. Doing so will not only not avoid a delay, it will actually cause one that was easily avoidable.

Relatively minor question regarding a question under "Childhood Information":
"How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education. The percentages entered should equal 100%"

One category is "Academic Scholarship," and another is "Financial Need-Based Scholarship."
Grant aid from my undergraduate institution would pretty clearly go under the latter. However, in any given year, I also had 4-5 scholarships granted by scholarship funds from organizations back in my home state, and these scholarships were given based on combined bases of merit and demonstrated financial need. For those, which category would they fall under? I am leaning toward "Academic Scholarship."
I don't think it really matters how you allocate them. The numbers need to total 100%, and what you report will not be subject to audit, so just do your best.

There is no shame in need based money, and, non-need based money is also always good. If you're asking, my take would be, while the outside scholarships absolutely would necessarily have a merit component (after all, there had to be some way to decide who gets them other than strict need), if you had to demonstrate need to be eligible, then I'd actually classify them as need-based as well. True academic scholarships have no determination of need whatsoever in deciding who gets them.

Again, honestly, do what you think is best, because no one is going to question your judgment on this, but, if I am right about financial eligibility to be considered for the outside scholarships, this is what I would do.

I don't think it really matters how you allocate them. The numbers need to total 100%, and what you report will not be subject to audit, so just do your best.

There is no shame in need based money, and, non-need based money is also always good. If you're asking, my take would be, while the outside scholarships absolutely would necessarily have a merit component (after all, there had to be some way to decide who gets them other than strict need), if you had to demonstrate need to be eligible, then I'd actually classify them as need-based as well. True academic scholarships have no determination of need whatsoever in deciding who gets them.

Again, honestly, do what you think is best, because no one is going to question your judgment on this, but, if I am right about financial eligibility to be considered for the outside scholarships, this is what I would do.
OK, thank you! I'm thinking of including all the outside scholarships with merit components in the Honors/Awards/Recognitions section of the activities.

OK, thank you! I'm thinking of including all the outside scholarships with merit components in the Honors/Awards/Recognitions section of the activities.
Totally should do that, since they are definitely honors, as would be any school awards that were not based on need.

The more I think about it, the more I think there would be no harm in including the money in the merit section as long as there is a merit component. As I said before, it's not like you're going to be audited, and it might look better to balance out your need based component, as well as to demonstrate that it's not strictly need-based, plus, it has the benefit of supporting what you are going to say in the honors section.

I registered for research credit under the same course code for several semesters. Should I designate these as "repeat"?

I registered for research credit under the same course code for several semesters. Should I designate these as "repeat"?
I think "repeat" option is only used for indicating taking a previous class with the same material twice. I'm not completely sure though and would love an answer from someone more knowledgeable. From the amcas guide "do not select repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g. independent study, thesis, chorus).

Also, I had a question if independent research credit would be designated as lecture only, lab only, or combine lecture and lab? I am leaning towards lab only but not entirely sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took classes through a program called OnRamps through Unviersity of Texas at Austin during high school, would I put the program type as junior college or undergrad? And should I release my information to the UT Austin premead Advisor? Does it matter if I do not?

Is there a status for transcripts other than "received"? Do they change to "verified" at some point or is "received" the farthest you get before you submit your primary?

Is there a status for transcripts other than "received"? Do they change to "verified" at some point or is "received" the farthest you get before you submit your primary?
How can they verify before you submit? :)

They can verify transcripts are legit
That's not the verification!!!

The only thing the schools ever see is what you enter into your primary. The verification is to verify that your primary is legit, before passing it on to the schools, by bumping it up against official transcripts. Official transcripts without a primary are nothing more than random documents.

That's not the verification!!!

The only thing the schools ever see is what you enter into your primary. The verification is to verify that your primary is legit, before passing it on to the schools, by bumping it up against official transcripts. Official transcripts without a primary are nothing more than random documents.
:rolleyes: I'm not asking about that, I'm just asking if there is any other step in the transcript receipt chain.

AMCAS allows you to send in transcripts before you submit your primary, and it's generally good to do that because it takes time to process transcripts. AAMC claims it takes 15 days to process electronic transcripts and 25 days to process mail in ones. I'm asking because I submitted my transcripts yesterday, and 2/4 have already been marked, "received". That was much faster than 15 days, so I'm wondering if I should be keeping a lookout for any other status updates throughout the month to make sure there's no delay, like there was last year with lots of transcripts.

:rolleyes: I'm not asking about that, I'm just asking if there is any other step in the transcript receipt chain.

AMCAS allows you to send in transcripts before you submit your primary, and it's generally good to do that because it takes time to process transcripts. AAMC claims it takes 15 days to process electronic transcripts and 25 days to process mail in ones. I'm asking because I submitted my transcripts yesterday, and 2/4 have already been marked, "received". That was much faster than 15 days, so I'm wondering if I should be keeping a lookout for any other status updates throughout the month to make sure there's no delay, like there was last year with lots of transcripts.
Just trying to help by explaining just what the verification is, since you specifically asked "do they change to "verified" at some point or is "received" the farthest you get before you submit your primary?"

I can't imagine what other steps you might think exist between receipt and verification, but, as a fellow applicant, I seriously doubt there are any. I don't think it's a huge surprise that your electronic transcript did not take a full 15 days to receive on Day #2 of the cycle, but, congratulations, you have one less thing to worry about! I think you can rest assured nothing further is going to happen with your application, other than receipt of your 2 additional transcripts, or maybe your LORs, until you actually submit your application.

For the record, the delay last year was with receipt of transcripts, not some hidden step none of us knows about. Last year is over. AMCAS has mastered working remotely, the UGs and med schools have mastered working remotely, people are slowly going back to the office, and the timeline and process is back to "normal." You are way ahead of most of us right now, but the process has speed bumps built in, like the 3 weeks you are now going to have to wait to submit, as well as the 4 weeks between submission to AMCAS and transmission to the schools, to allow many of us to catch up to the very earliest of birds.

Just trying to help by explaining just what the verification is, since you specifically asked "do they change to "verified" at some point or is "received" the farthest you get before you submit your primary?"

I can't imagine what other steps you might think exist between receipt and verification, but, as a fellow applicant, I seriously doubt there are any. I don't think it's a huge surprise that your electronic transcript did not take a full 15 days to receive on Day #2 of the cycle, but, congratulations, you have one less thing to worry about! I think you can rest assured nothing further is going to happen with your application, other than receipt of your 2 additional transcripts, or maybe your LORs, until you actually submit your application.

For the record, the delay last year was with receipt of transcripts, not some hidden step none of us knows about. Last year is over. AMCAS has mastered working remotely, the UGs and med schools have mastered working remotely, people are slowly going back to the office, and the timeline and process is back to "normal." You are way ahead of most of us right now, but the process has speed bumps built in, like the 3 weeks you are now going to have to wait to submit, as well as the 4 weeks between submission to AMCAS and transmission to the schools, to allow many of us to catch up to the very earliest of birds.
Verification is a word that can have multiple meanings, especially when placed in quotations and explicitly stated that the question was regarding pre-primary submission. I think a simple, "no, I believe receipt is the final step of the transcript process prior to submission" would have sufficed, but thanks I guess

I received AP and IB credit for the same course. On my transcript, it lists the one course code twice. The IB credit shows 3 credits attempted and 3 credits awarded. The AP credit shows 3 credits attempted and 0 credits awarded. Both given a passing grade, "P". Both courses show up in the same semester. Would I mark both as repeat? Also, would I put both as 3 credits, or the IB as 3 and the AP as 0.

How do we classify study abroad course work that was in another language?

For example, I took an Art History course while I was abroad in Italy and the class was entirely taught in Italian. It is listed on my transcript as ITAL262 so it is technically in the Italian department.

Should this be classified as foreign languages & literature, history, or fine arts?
We did not study Italian language like grammar, etc. but I do want to make it clear that the courses were taught in Italian. The content of the course was learning about modern Italian artists.

Another question - on my official transcript, some of the course names are cut off because they're too long (EX: Intensive Italian for Academic Purposes appears as "Intensive Italian for Academic"). Should I list the name in my coursework as "Intensive Italian for Academic" as it appears on my official transcript or should I write out the full name?

The names appear cut off for a lot of my classes, unfortunately.

TIA

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do you mark classes that have to be taken Pass-Fail at your university (e.g. introductory seminars, etc)? Do you just list them as Pass/Fail and then the "X" that shows up on your transcript? And will medical schools think that you chose pass-fail, even if there is no grading system offered at all for the course?

My mail transcript was delivered today, and the website says they are processing mail transcripts from 5/5 today. If I don't get marked received by tomorrow, should I reach out to AAMC?

I completed a certification with the Defense Acquisition University (DAU) for my current assignment. There were 5 pretty short online courses I had to complete (no grade) and there seems to be a transcript of sorts I can generate, though I'm not sure if DAU sends these out anywhere other than the Defense Acquisition program within the DoD.
It's not on my JST either so I'm not sure whether or not to include these courses or not.

I have taken music lessons for credit. It feels odd classifying them as either lecture or lab. Since it doesn't mention that it is a lab anywhere on my transcript, would it be correct to mark these courses as lectures?

I completed a certification with the Defense Acquisition University (DAU) for my current assignment. There were 5 pretty short online courses I had to complete (no grade) and there seems to be a transcript of sorts I can generate, though I'm not sure if DAU sends these out anywhere other than the Defense Acquisition program within the DoD.
It's not on my JST either so I'm not sure whether or not to include these courses or not.
The military generates a lot of random transcripts that don't go anywhere. My guess is if its not on your JST then it doesn't matter. I had one stupid online course that had no credit that somehow ended up on my JST, I was very surprised to see that. But you should maybe reach out to AMCAS and see if they have received transcripts from there before and maybe there is some way of confirming whether or not it is required.

You have to find out if they are on JST else it can delay verification
The military generates a lot of random transcripts that don't go anywhere. My guess is if its not on your JST then it doesn't matter. I had one stupid online course that had no credit that somehow ended up on my JST, I was very surprised to see that. But you should maybe reach out to AMCAS and see if they have received transcripts from there before and maybe there is some way of confirming whether or not it is required.
So turns out the courses are on my JST but under "other learning experiences" and my understanding was to include only the courses under "Military Courses" since these courses haven't been evaluated for credit by ACE. I might give AAMC a call since I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• ACQ 101.png
    ACQ 101.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 68
Hi! Quick question on some confusion I have about the Applicant guide.

I was enrolled in a BS/MS accelerated program (during my senior year I took graduate courses) and these courses count towards BOTH undergraduate and my graduate degrees. I took these courses beginning in Fall 2019. So AAMC guideline says "The graduate-level coursework will count toward a graduate degree, and you should list it under graduate status at the time the courses were attempted. Assign the undergraduate-level coursework the appropriate undergraduate status"

Which makes sense, however on my transcript, my school did not assign graduate status until the Fall 2020 semester, so these courses appear both in Fall 2019 (for undergraduate) and then again in Fall 2020 (in my graduate transcript even though I did not take them twice). My question is do I put the year as the actual year I took them (Fall 2019) or do I put the year they appear on my transcript (which is not the year I took them)?

I tried calling AAMC but the person was rather unhelpful.

Hello! I am conducting senior research in the lab (thesis) for credit. Would this be considered a lab course? (Also, is it okay to chunk out these senior year research hours in the W&A section? I know it might be double listing)

I took a biostatistics course which was under the biology department (BIOL); AMCAS says Biostatistics falls under the MATH course classification.

So while my transcript says BIOL, should I put MATH instead on AMCAS?

Do the AP Credits on my transcript contribute to the 90 credit AMCAS requirement?

Or do they not count because there is no letter grade associated with them / are not included in the AMCAS GPA?

In a somewhat reverse problem, I have gotten 11 emails from AMCAS saying they received my transcript. I get a few every day since I requested my transcript be sent. I called AMCAS and they said it’s probably a parchment problem, is anyone else having this “issue”?

In a somewhat reverse problem, I have gotten 11 emails from AMCAS saying they received my transcript. I get a few every day since I requested my transcript be sent. I called AMCAS and they said it’s probably a parchment problem, is anyone else having this “issue”?
Same here lol. It’s annoying but as long as AMCAS properly received my transcript, I don’t really care

EXACTLY as the appear on the transcript
I'm wrestling with EXACTLY :cool: the same question, and the struggle between my OCD and taking the easy way out has not yet resolved itself!!

I understand that just mapping what I enter as the Course Name to what appears, character by character, to the official transcript, makes the verification process as easy as possible for AMCAS. The only issue is that it results in an incomplete course name, so it's technically incorrect.

The transcript abbreviations are due to character limitations, and consequently do not actually correctly reflect the course names as set forth in the course catalog. If such character limitations do not exist in the AMCAS application (in my case they do not), why not give adcoms a full course name as it appears in my course catalog?

If writing out "Lab" as "Laboratory" is really going to create an issue, I'd like to avoid it, but, my sense, as someone who has not yet gone through this, is that as long as the Course Number lines up exactly, and as long as the Course Name is correct, I will not have a problem because I am not abbreviating where it is unnecessary for me to do so. Am I really kidding myself?

The Guide says: "In the designated fields, enter the course name in English and the course number exactly as it appears on the official transcript (excluding symbols or any style formatting). If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation."

I'm reading this to say the course number needs to be EXACTLY as it appears on the transcript, but the course name should be the full course name the university uses, unless it doesn't fit. I understand reasonable (or even unreasonable :)) minds can disagree. My question is whether I would actually face a verification issue or delay when what I am doing is technically more correct?

Last edited:
I took a biostatistics course which was under the biology department (BIOL); AMCAS says Biostatistics falls under the MATH course classification.

So while my transcript says BIOL, should I put MATH instead on AMCAS?

I will go ahead and mark it MATH as per the 2022 application guide: "The department offering the course is typically not a factor in the course classification. For example, a course should be classified as biology if the primary content is biology, regardless of the department that offers the course."

I have the same question as KnightDoc

My transcript says "Psych Science" but my college's bulletin spells it all out: "Psychological Science"

Would it be wrong of me to put the latter on AMCAS?

Last edited:
I will go ahead and mark it MATH as per the 2022 application guide: "The department offering the course is typically not a factor in the course classification. For example, a course should be classified as biology if the primary content is biology, regardless of the department that offers the course."
In this case it REALLY doesn't matter, because both BIOL and MATH are in BCPM, which is really all the classifications are getting at (BCPM or AO).

I have the same question as KnightDoc

My transcript says "Fndtn of Psychological Science" but my college's bulletin spells it all out: "Foundations of Psychological Science"

Would it be wrong of me to put the latter on AMCAS?
For now I copied and pasted from my online course catalog. I did struggle with it, and really want to see it I can convince @gonnif.

Either way, as a public service, I'm thinking about calling AAMC to see what they say. Unfortunately though, so far, my experience with them, at least on the MCAT, has been hit or miss, so I'm not sure I'd rely on whatever they say. I'm more inclined to go with @gonnif, but I think I know what he's going to say, and I'm not sure I agree. :)

If it were anyone else, I'd be objective and say it doesn't matter, so just take the easy out and match exactly. But, it's MY application, and I want it to be full and complete, and not look like crap just because my transcript has character limitations the AMCAS application doesn't have!!!

This is can be an issue. The verifer is just that: a verifier. They may not have any training or knowledge to interpret what abbreviation of a course title is. They just want to see it matches. However, an adcom evaluator, as med school faculty, does have the knowledge and experience to interpet what those abbreviations mean. By not matching EXACTLY what it says on transcripts, you take a wholly unnecessary risk to delay verification for no additional benefit at evaluation.
When you put it like this, it makes perfect sense! :)

Hi everyone, I had a question about sending in transcripts to AMCAS. I'm currently finishing up two prerequisite courses this spring (Orgo II and an English course), but I've already sent in my transcripts to AMCAS for the sake of being on time. Will it matter that these two classes have not been completed yet? When will schools look to confirm my grades in these two courses?

Thank you!

Hi everyone, I had a question about sending in transcripts to AMCAS. I'm currently finishing up two prerequisite courses this spring (Orgo II and an English course), but I've already sent in my transcripts to AMCAS for the sake of being on time. a) Will it matter that these two classes have not been completed yet? b) When will schools look to confirm my grades in these two courses?

Thank you!
a) A handful of schools will care, for all others you need to demonstrate proof of completion of prerequisites prior to matriculation.
b) You will be obliged to send in a final transcript to the one school where you will matriculate.

Hi everyone! I had a question about inputting transferred courses.
So I have 3 courses that have been transferred into my current school's transcript as "T" (T as in transferred credit)
The AMCAS guideline says that if the institute that accepted the transferred credit gave a letter grade, you should put the letter grade, and if the school granted it a P/F, you should put it as P/F.
But there isn't any information about "T", so I was wondering what to do in this case. Should I just input the grade as T?

Hi everyone! I had a question about inputting transferred courses.
So I have 3 courses that have been transferred into my current school's transcript as "T" (T as in transferred credit)
The AMCAS guideline says that if the institute that accepted the transferred credit gave a letter grade, you should put the letter grade, and if the school granted it a P/F, you should put it as P/F.
But there isn't any information about "T", so I was wondering what to do in this case. Should I just input the grade as T?
From where did the transferred credit come? What was the grade assigned at that institution?

From where did the transferred credit come? What was the grade assigned at that institution?
It came from an institution overseas. I need to get a transcript exemption according to AMCAS's guideline (overseas institution not affiliated with U.S. colleges - credits transferred). The guideline mentions that because the transcription is being exempted,, I need to file the courses in the section of the school that accepted the credits. It also mentions that I need to input the courses exactly the way it is on the transcript of the school that accepted the transferred credits (my current school), which is "T" for my case.

It came from an institution overseas. I need to get a transcript exemption according to AMCAS's guideline (overseas institution not affiliated with U.S. colleges - credits transferred). The guideline mentions that because the transcription is being exempted,, I need to file the courses in the section of the school that accepted the credits. It also mentions that I need to input the courses exactly the way it is on the transcript of the school that accepted the transferred credits (my current school), which is "T" for my case.
Enter the T.

If I send an updated transcript BEFORE I enter verification by AMCAS, will that new transcript replace the old one?

I accidentally sent one too early and want to send a new one now

If I send an updated transcript BEFORE I enter verification by AMCAS, will that new transcript replace the old one?

I accidentally sent one too early and want to send a new one now
If verification hasn't yet begun by the time of the second arrival, it's been my experience that the later transcript will supersede the first one sent, though I suggest you email them that it's coming and even make a phone call to them to be sure.

Same here lol. It’s annoying but as long as AMCAS properly received my transcript, I don’t really care
It is definitely a Parchment glitch because last year, I heard there were similar Parchment issues such as emails and transcripts getting lost. The weird thing is I never received any emails from AMCAS.

Do both of your transcripts show up as "Received" on your actual AMCAS application? My school sent my transcript through Parchment on May 3rd, yet it still says "Not Received" on my AMCAS application