~*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2021-2022 *~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my medical schools chosen and my letters of rec have been received by AMCAS, haven't submitted my primary yet. However, I have not assigned the letters to any schools and would like to do this after submitting. Can I submit with received letters that are unassigned and then assign them to schools later? I'm a little worried about submitting something that says these letters aren't going anywhere...

Members don't see this ad.

I have my medical schools chosen and my letters of rec have been received by AMCAS, haven't submitted my primary yet. However, I have not assigned the letters to any schools and would like to do this after submitting. Can I submit with received letters that are unassigned and then assign them to schools later? I'm a little worried about submitting something that says these letters aren't going anywhere...
Yes, you are totally fine. Many people submit without letters because they don't have them yet. They assign them after they arrive, which is exactly the same as you assigning them later even though your letters have already arrived.

Submitting at this point just puts you in the AMCAS queue for verification, so you should do that if the application is otherwise ready. Nothing is going to be transmitted to any school until 6/25 at the earliest, so, nothing is going anywhere, regardless of whether or not you assign letters now!

Reactions: 1 user
I cannot submit my primary / pay -- I get an error message saying that my app can't be validated and I should close the modal and try again. Anyone else with this issue? I tried calling AMCAS but they aren't taking calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to make sure: I don't have to include my middle name in my legal name, right? It is listed on my transcript; however, I simply prefer not to put it in my legal name because I don't identify with it at all. Will it cause any issues if my transcript has my middle name but AMCAS does not?

edit: I think I've found my solution after reading the AMCAS manual, I think the best solution for this would be to list my First, Middle, Last name under Alternate Names. Would appreciate if someone could affirm this!

I cannot submit my primary / pay -- I get an error message saying that my app can't be validated and I should close the modal and try again. Anyone else with this issue? I tried calling AMCAS but they aren't taking calls.
Yes! I am having this issue as well when trying to submit today. Did you ever get the problem resolved?

I received AP Calculus credit from my university, and I then retook the class at the university. Upon processing, AMCAS has now labeled the AP Calculus entry as repeat and the university's calculus 1 as repeat. Does this seem incorrect that they are both labeled as repeat?

From the guidlelines: "If you take a college-level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, AMCAS considers the course a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

It does not say that you should also label AP Psych as Repeat....

Thanks for any input.

I received AP Calculus credit from my university, and I then retook the class at the university. Upon processing, AMCAS has now labeled the AP Calculus entry as repeat and the university's calculus 1 as repeat. Does this seem incorrect that they are both labeled as repeat?

From the guidlelines: "If you take a college-level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, AMCAS considers the course a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

Thanks for any input.
You are correct and they are wrong. I have little doubt that they have a bunch of barely above minimum wage workers doing this from home, based on the fact that completions are being reported throughout a holiday weekend, so, it is what it is.

The question becomes the value of raising a stink over something that has zero impact on your reported credits or GPA. The class you took for a grade at college was a repeat, and this is correctly reported. The fact that the AP credit that was repeated for a grade was not, itself, a repeat, seems to be of no consequence, other than the incorrect label next to the entry.

I am having the same issue with a number of BS, technically incorrect changes AMCAS made to my transcript, and, even though it is bothering me, I am debating whether or not the fight is worth it when it will have no impact on my reported numbers one way or the other. TBH, the big X in the column indicating they changed my submission is bothering me more than anything else! :)

Thanks for any input.
I've been thinking about this since yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I figured out what is going on. You are absolutely correct regarding what the applicant guide says to do with the class you already received AP credit for. However, before that, in the same section, in bold, it says that the Repeat selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once. Even though this makes no sense, is counterintuitive, and is not what the colleges do, AMCAS apparently expects us to code both the first and second classes as repeats, and not just the first. Hope this helps!!

Is anyone else having issues with the “print application” function?

Is anyone else having issues with the “print application” function?
Yep I am too. There's a message on the home page that says the print service is undergoing issues. I really hope they fix it soon

Yep I am too. There's a message on the home page that says the print service is undergoing issues. I really hope they fix it soon
Just called and they said they don’t know when it will be fixed, but probably by Monday :/

Is it possible to add MD/PhD essays after submitting AMCAS? Getting mixed answers
Yes.

"Please note: Changing your program type at a designated school after submission to
MD-PhD will prompt completion of the required essays before you can resubmit your application."

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I read a post saying that students can send the transcripts themselves using Parchment or National Clearinghouse. Does this mean I can send my transcripts through parchment without the help from registrar's office (using my AAMC and transcript ID) or do I have to ask them to send my transcript for me? I'm confused because I thought any transcript sent by students would get rejected...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I read a post saying that students can send the transcripts themselves using Parchment or National Clearinghouse. Does this mean I can send my transcripts through parchment without the help from registrar's office (using my AAMC and transcript ID) or do I have to ask them to send my transcript for me? I'm confused because I thought any transcript sent by students would get rejected...
Nope. Your understanding is correct. Everything has to go through your school. If your school doesn't use Parchment or National Clearinghouse, then they have to send a paper transcript. NOTHING can come directly from you under any circumstances.

Should I include sorority leadership as MME or stay away from it?

I served as chapter president of my sorority while in college and it has largely shaped how I view leadership and working as part of a team. I am thinking about including it as one of my most meaningful experiences and focusing on what I learned about myself as a leader and team member, but I also know there is stigma associated with Greek life. My organization is known for being full of the quirkiest, most academic and ambitious women on our campus and they have played a large role in shaping my confidence and challenging me to grow - but I'm not sure if placing Greek life as most meaningful will give the wrong impression of me. If I don't use being chapter president as one of my MMEs, then likely all three of my MMEs will be repeats of activities that were included in my PS (though diving into different aspects of them to avoid redundancy). For reference, here are those three: working as an entrance screener and emergency room technician in a local hospital, conducting research in a child development genetics lab, and studying global health abroad in Vietnam, South Africa, and Argentina.

I also have a secondary question - if I include my research as a MME, would it be off-putting to focus on the relationship with my mentor and why that has been incredibly impactful for me? It doesn't necessarily describe the impact I have had but rather how seeing her be a successful educator, clinician, researcher, policymaker, mother, and wife has shown me its possible to be involved in so many different things that matter to me while also having a work/life balance that allows me to be present with my family.

Thank you in advance!!
My advice is to not tailor your application to what you think someone will want to see. There are MANY positive attributes to Greek life, and your story sounds great. IMHO, you'll do more harm than good masking what truly makes you special in order to create a watered down or fake narrative to remove any risk of offending the biased or uninformed.

As to your second question, it is your application, and you should be real and speak from your heart, but I'm not in love with it. I'm not a female, so my perspective might be irrelevant, and I'm not suggesting that you ignore my advice in the previous paragraph and tailor you statements to an ignorant male audience. :cool:

OTOH, observing a PI live a life that speaks to you as a prospective female MD does not really answer the prompt describing why the activity was meaningful, so it doesn't really say anything to me beyond the fact that you apparently had an epiphany and realized that successful professional women can achieve a work/life balance. Of course, this has absolutely nothing at all to do with research.

My advice is to not tailor your application to what you think someone will want to see. There are MANY positive attributes to Greek life, and your story sounds great. IMHO, you'll do more harm than good masking what truly makes you special in order to create a watered down or fake narrative to remove any risk of offending the biased or uninformed.

As to your second question, it is your application, and you should be real and speak from your heart, but I'm not in love with it. I'm not a female, so my perspective might be irrelevant, and I'm not suggesting that you ignore my advice in the previous paragraph and tailor you statements to an ignorant male audience. :cool:

OTOH, observing a PI live a life that speaks to you as a prospective female MD does not really answer the prompt describing why the activity was meaningful, so it doesn't really say anything to me beyond the fact that you apparently had an epiphany and realized that successful professional women can achieve a work/life balance. Of course, this has absolutely nothing at all to do with research.
Thank you for your advice, it's really helpful! Definitely see your point about the research MME not really being about research/the prompt - think I just get caught up in how awesome she is sometimes hah

Will be sticking with my presidency as an MME instead; thank you for your encouragement :)

Alrighty, I have to know..

I submitted my app 5/31. Just moments after sending it in, I realized that I messed up pretty noticeably on the course information section. In short, I took seventeen (17) AP & IB courses in HS and incidentally listed the "OT Grade" column incorrectly. All course names and credit hours are listed correctly; it is only the grade column which does not line up with my Official Transcript -- which I later realized read "NG" for no grade...

Though I am ready to bite the bullet, I am hoping to ascertain whether I should 100% expect a returned application in the coming days/wks, which I'll need to fix and resubmit. I tried calling AMCAS, but the answering customer service rep made explicit the fact that they were not a member of the verification team. They did say most returned apps are due to credit hour inconsistencies, but mine are grade inconsistencies. Of note, the AP/IB coursework credits were not used nor do they influence my GPA (for obvious reasons) --- AMCAS assigns "P" to AP/IB coursework to indicate this fact.

I have tried searching reddit and here for similar past posts but to no avail. I have come across the 10+ rule for mistakes, but at least one previous poster had their repeated errors (two semesters worth of course entries listed for the wrong year) corrected, and thus, to my understanding, treated as a single mistake (just repeated many times). Other than this isolated incident, returned apps seems to be very uncommon, or, at least, not posted about.

Thanks ahead of time for any possible insight. @KnightDoc @Goro @whoever else can help

I submitted my app 5/31. Just moments after sending it in, I realized that I messed up pretty noticeably on the course information section. In short, I took seventeen (17) AP & IB courses in HS and incidentally listed the "OT Grade" column incorrectly. All course names and credit hours are listed correctly; it is only the grade column which does not line up with my Official Transcript -- which I later realized read "NG" for no grade...

Though I am ready to bite the bullet, I am hoping to ascertain whether I should 100% expect a returned application in the coming days/wks, which I'll need to fix and resubmit. I tried calling AMCAS, but the answering customer service rep made explicit the fact that they were not a member of the verification team. They did say most returned apps are due to credit hour inconsistencies, but mine are grade inconsistencies. Of note, the AP/IB coursework credits were not used nor do they influence my GPA (for obvious reasons) --- AMCAS assigns "P" to AP/IB coursework to indicate this fact.

I have tried searching reddit and here for similar past posts but to no avail. I have come across the 10+ rule for mistakes, but at least one previous poster had their repeated errors (two semesters worth of course entries listed for the wrong year) corrected, and thus, to my understanding, treated as a single mistake (just repeated many times). Other than this isolated incident, returned apps seems to be very uncommon, or, at least, not posted about.

Thanks ahead of time for any possible insight. @KnightDoc @Goro @whoever else can help
Outside my knowledge base, sorry

I don't work for AMCAS, so I only know what I've seen personally and what has been reported here. I am going to take a stab at it so you can come back and thank me if I am right, and I can say I told you I didn't know anything if I am wrong. :)

I am 99% sure you will be 100% fine, and your application will not be returned. Are you saying you left the OT column blank instead of entering NG for each grade? If so, they will make the correction, as many times as necessary, and mark you processed, complete, whatever. It's a cosmetic issue that does not impact anything. They are not going to refuse to verify you and send you back to the end of the queue over this.

The only bad news is that they are still processing applications submitted on 5/27, so it's going to be a while until you can see that I'm right! :cool: Just try to chill in the meantime.

Last edited:
I don't work for AMCAS, so I only know what I've seen personally and what has been reported here. I am going to take a stab at it so you can come back and thank me if I am right, and I can say I told you I didn't know anything if I am wrong. :)

I am 99% sure you will be 100% fine, and your application will not be returned. Are you saying you left the OT column blank instead of entering NG for each grade? If so, they will make the correction, as many times as necessary, and mark you processed, complete, whatever. It's a cosmetic issue that does not impact anything. They are not going to refuse to verify you and send you back to the end of the queue over this.

The only bad news is that they are still processing applications submitted on 5/27, so it's going to be a while until you can see that I'm right! :cool: Just try to chill in the meantime.
Yep yep.

So, instead of leaving it blank, I entered in the "grades" from my unofficial transcript. My university essentially copied over the credit hours column to the grade column --- so, my AMCAS app reads, for instance: "Credit Hours = 3" and "OT Grade = 3" for each AP and IB course entered, only. In other words, my credit hour column and OT grade column are identical lol.

Why did I do this? I had been up for 28 hours at this point and was having a lot of trouble justifying "NG" -- I checked the guide and public forums and could not find mention of this phrase. The post-submission clarity hit me hard though and I quickly realized I should've just entered NG and left it at that.

Yep yep.

So, instead of leaving it blank, I entered in the "grades" from my unofficial transcript. My university essentially copied over the credit hours column to the grade column --- so, my AMCAS app reads, for instance: "Credit Hours = 3" and "OT Grade = 3" for each AP and IB course entered, only. In other words, my credit hour column and OT grade column are identical lol.

Why did I do this? I had been up for 28 hours at this point and was having a lot of trouble justifying "NG" -- I checked the guide and public forums and could not find mention of this phrase. The post-submission clarity hit me hard though and I quickly realized I should've just entered NG and left it at that.
You're fine. I'm sticking by what I said. It's not substantive. They will correct it and verify you.

You're fine. I'm sticking by what I said. It's not substantive. They will correct it and verify you.
Thanks for the assurance -- crossing my fingers

Best of luck this cycle should it be the one you finally apply haha!

Hello,

There is a question on the childhood information section of the AMCAS that asks,
"How many people lived in your primary household during the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen"

I lived with my mother and sister growing up, and my father lived apart from us in another country. However, he was our only income, and he also supported my two grandparents who lived with him. I wanted to confirm whether it would be appropriate to answer that 3 people lived in my primary household.

(I'm not sure if this number is somehow combined with the family income level to estimate economic situation, under the assumption that the family income entered is supporting primarily the number of people listed as living in my primary household).

Thanks in advance to @Goro or anyone else with insight into whether it is appropriate for me just to go ahead and enter "3".
You should be able to figure this out without any outside help

Hello,

I have a question about if I have to input course work for an academic summer program I took part of through a third party company (WorldStrides CBL International). This is the information they give about credits:
An academic transcript will be presented to you and will include the results of the assessments you have participated in. This academic transcript may be used for receiving credits at your home university. Credit may be obtainable through one of WorldStrides’ partner universities...The Summer Institute does not award credits for its programmes, instead, credits have to be granted by each participant’s home university. The workload of the Summer Institute is equivalent to 3 ECTS/ 1.5 U.S. credits each week.
I never bothered to transfer the credits as I attended due to personal interest rather than needing the courses for school. Would I be required to add anything about the experience to the Schools Attended/Course Work sections of the application?

Hello,

I have a question about if I have to input course work for an academic summer program I took part of through a third party company (WorldStrides CBL International). This is the information they give about credits:

I never bothered to transfer the credits as I attended due to personal interest rather than needing the courses for school. Would I be required to add anything about the experience to the Schools Attended/Course Work sections of the application?
TBH, I'd call AMCAS to verify this, but, it looks like they want EVERYTHING. I say this because they refer to places like Bartending schools in the applicant guide! In that case, the course would be processed with a symbol indicating that it doesn't count in GPA. Since your courses were eligible for transfer to some schools, my guess is not only that AMCAS will want it, but that they will actually include it in your calculated GPA.

Hi! Quick question: for how I paid for my post-secondary education, would that be how I paid for the cost before financial aid or the actual cost of attendance--which for me is a $50k difference. Would the financial aid (in my case just a big grant from my school) count as financial-need based scholarship? I don't want adcoms to get the impression my parents were paying $200k+ for my education.

Hi! Quick question: for how I paid for my post-secondary education, would that be how I paid for the cost before financial aid or the actual cost of attendance--which for me is a $50k difference. Would the financial aid (in my case just a big grant from my school) count as financial-need based scholarship? I don't want adcoms to get the impression my parents were paying $200k+ for my education.
In the "Paid for Post-Secondary Education" section, consider the cost before financial aid. So if the original total cost was $200K and you got $50K in financial need-based scholarships, then that is 25% of how you covered the total educational costs.

Hi! Not sure if this was asked. I filled out my AMCAS, but I have a specific transcript question that might also apply to AACOMAS. I TA'ed for credit multiple semesters, and on my transcript, it does not identify what class I TA'ed for. I included the course description and then a colon with what class I TA'ed for in hopes it doesn't look like I just repeated TAing for no reason. Will this affect the verification timeline? Will my application be sent back to me because I did this rather than type in exactly what is on my transcript?

AP credit transferred in to the school, for the term, would the term be the year before I matriculated into UG?

For ex, I started UG in 2016-217, so the term I would put down for my AP credit is 2015-2016 and Fall semester, but designate it as high school student? There is no year on my official transcript. It is just categorized as "Transfer Courses."

AP credit transferred in to the school, for the term, would the term be the year before I matriculated into UG?

For ex, I started UG in 2016-217, so the term I would put down for my AP credit is 2015-2016 and Fall semester, but designate it as high school student? There is no year on my official transcript. It is just categorized as "Transfer Courses."
From page 31 of the AMCAS Applicant Guide:

Advanced Placement (AP)
To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered under the term the college credit was initially granted for. If no term is designated, include the credits with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses may be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the AP exams taken.

From page 28:

Assign FR status to AP, Exempt, IB, or CLEP credit awarded when you first entered college. Do not enter AP coursework under HS status.

How would one list "HR" as a contact? For the first and last name what would we put? Is it okay to just put "human" for first name and "resources" for last? I worked on campus as a tutor and TA and my supervisors told me to put my school's HR as the contact b/c they can verify my employment

How would one list "HR" as a contact? For the first and last name what would we put? Is it okay to just put "human" for first name and "resources" for last? I worked on campus as a tutor and TA and my supervisors told me to put my school's HR as the contact b/c they can verify my employment
That works perfectly, but capitalize each word for a "better look."

I sent out my official transcripts to AMCAS on May 25th through parchment and they still have not been marked as received. My application has been on hold since June 3rd. Has anyone else had this problem???

For summer classes that I took right before my freshman year (2016-2017), would they count as Summer Semester - 2016-2017?

On the transcript, it says 2015-2016 summer, but I know AMCAS has their semester starting at the summer...

For this section:

How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education. The percentages entered should equal 100%

Are these estimates of the Academic Scholarship, Financial Need-Based Scholarship, Student Loan, Other Loan, Family Contribution, Applicant Contribution, and Other? Thanks

What should I put as the contact for my combined awards? Can I put myself? Its a mix of scholarships, extracurricular activities awards, and research awards.

For summer classes that I took right before my freshman year (2016-2017), would they count as Summer Semester - 2016-2017?

On the transcript, it says 2015-2016 summer, but I know AMCAS has their semester starting at the summer...
If they were college classes, AMCAS will count it toward the beginning your freshman year, even though the institution counts it toward the end of an academic year.

For this section:

How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education. The percentages entered should equal 100%

Are these estimates of the Academic Scholarship, Financial Need-Based Scholarship, Student Loan, Other Loan, Family Contribution, Applicant Contribution, and Other? Thanks
Yes.

If I submit 5/11/2021 (today) or 5/12/2021 (tomorrow), is there any chance at all I would be transmitted by June 25th or is it too late? If so, do you guys think it would i at least be submitted by June 30th?

If I submit 5/11/2021 (today) or 5/12/2021 (tomorrow), is there any chance at all I would be transmitted by June 25th or is it too late? If so, do you guys think it would i at least be submitted by June 30th?
At risk of sounding like one of our revered adcoms, I don't think it matters. There really, honestly, truly, are NOT any prizes awarded for being first. 6/25 is early. So is 6/30, 7/10, 7/30, etc. You are way better off doing what you did, and holding it until was ready, even at the risk of missing 6/25.

That said, my expert analysis is that it might very well be too late for 6/25, or even 6/30. No way to know for sure until we get there, or at least a lot closer, because the AMCAS review process is a bit of a black box, and prior years' experience has limited relevance due to COVID and the explosion in applications.

As of today, the queue is 2 weeks and growing. For an application submitted in the next few days to be transmitted by the end June, you would need a queue that is currently at 2 weeks on its way to 6-8 weeks at the peak to suddenly stabilize for the next 2-3 weeks to allow an application submitted by 6/12 to be verified by 6/30.

Anything is possible, but, IMHO, this is unlikely. It took them 2 weeks to move from 5/27 submissions to 5/28. You now need them to advance one day every day or so between now and the end of the month to be transmitted by 6/30. It's unlikely to happen. If it does, the queue will never approach 6-8 weeks.

Even so, you're fine. You'll be verified by mid-July, which is still quite early.

Hello, I am a doordash delivery driver which is my main source of personal income. I do not have a supervisor or regional manager but I myself do have access to my hours worked. Should I put myself as the contact for proof of my activity on the AMCAS? A contact title for paid work experience is required. Or should I list doordash as "other" so no contact information is required? I could also put "I don't have a boss and am considered self employed" on my experience description which is in fact true.

Hello, I am a doordash delivery driver which is my main source of personal income. I do not have a supervisor or regional manager but I myself do have access to my hours worked. Should I put myself as the contact for proof of my activity on the AMCAS? A contact title for paid work experience is required. Or should I list doordash as "other" so no contact information is required? I could also put "I don't have a boss and am considered self employed" on my experience description which is in fact true.
You could use the payroll office that issues your check. Or use yourself if you are an independent contractor, using your own car.

The Other category does require a Contact. It's Hobbies that does not.

Last edited:
One of my colleges listed science classes with labs like this on my transcripts:

Class CategoryClass NumberClass NameCreditsGrade
BIO
120​
General Biology I
4​
B
BIO 120LGeneral Biology I Lab
0​
LB

Would you list both of these separately and mark them as lecture only and lab only, respectively? Or would you just create one class input of General Biology I and Lab and mark it as lecture and lab? TIA!

One of my colleges listed science classes with labs like this on my transcripts:

Class CategoryClass NumberClass NameCreditsGrade
BIO
120​
General Biology I
4​
B
BIO 120LGeneral Biology I Lab
0​
LB

Would you list both of these separately and mark them as lecture only and lab only, respectively? Or would you just create one class input of General Biology I and Lab and mark it as lecture and lab? TIA!
That's weird, but playing it safe dictates listing it exactly as it appears on your transcript. If AMCAS doesn't like it, they will make the adjustment during verification.

I was an Organic Chemistry undergraduate TA aka mentor. The course listing for such position since we were given credit for it, is the same for both semesters I did it for, even though one semester it was for Organic Chemistry 1 and the other semester it was for Organic Chemistry 2. Do I list this as a repeat course or not?

I was an Organic Chemistry undergraduate TA aka mentor. The course listing for such position since we were given credit for it, is the same for both semesters I did it for, even though one semester it was for Organic Chemistry 1 and the other semester it was for Organic Chemistry 2. Do I list this as a repeat course or not?
"Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated."

I am pretty sure this instruction applies to being a TA for credit in multiple semesters, whether or not orgo flipped from 1 to 2. You were a TA, not a student, so the course is not a repeat for you.

Are you receiving letter grades, or just Ps? If you are receiving credit without a letter grade, the answer REALLY doesn't matter, since this isn't going to impact your reported GPA. If you are receiving letter grades, it's important that they NOT appear as repeats so that it doesn't look like you are taking the same class over and over again to inflate your GPA!