~*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2021-2022 *~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anybody having trouble submitting the primary today? I've been trying to submit the primary the whole day but kept getting the same error message after entering the payment method. I tried to use different browsers. I tried to use different devices. I tried to use different credit cards. Nothing worked. Below is the error message that I received:

No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Does anyone know how to solve the issue? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody having trouble submitting the primary today? I've been trying to submit the primary the whole day but kept getting the same error message after entering the payment method. I tried to use different browsers. I tried to use different devices. I tried to use different credit cards. Nothing worked. Below is the error message that I received:

No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Does anyone know how to solve the issue? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you tried everything. Unfortunately, it's Sunday on an holiday weekend. Nothing to do except wait and see if it's fixed tomorrow. Server timing out indicates it's almost certainly on their end.

"Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated."

I am pretty sure this instruction applies to being a TA for credit in multiple semesters, whether or not orgo flipped from 1 to 2. You were a TA, not a student, so the course is not a repeat for you.

Are you receiving letter grades, or just Ps? If you are receiving credit without a letter grade, the answer REALLY doesn't matter, since this isn't going to impact your reported GPA. If you are receiving letter grades, it's important that they NOT appear as repeats so that it doesn't look like you are taking the same class over and over again to inflate your GPA!
They are listed as exact same courses with course codes and title. I do talk about it in my experience and activities section. Should I mention something there?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are listed as exact same courses with course codes and title. I do talk about it in my experience and activities section. Should I mention something there?
No, it's fine. People with independent studies or a senior thesis have the exact same issue. The direction AMCAS gives is what I quoted above. They will be able to tell from the title that it's designed to be repeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does a C- count as passing? I noticed one or two schools had a minimum of C requirement for Pre-requisites. I took 6 credit hours of English as Dual Credit junior year of high school and got C- in 2x3 credit hour classes of english. My college is a tech school and didnt require me to take any english classes. For the schools that require 6 credit hours of english do I meet their requirement if they dont specify letter grade requirement?

Does a C- count as passing? I noticed one or two schools had a minimum of C requirement for Pre-requisites. I took 6 credit hours of English as Dual Credit junior year of high school and got C- in 2x3 credit hour classes of english. My college is a tech school and didnt require me to take any english classes. For the schools that require 6 credit hours of english do I meet their requirement if they dont specify letter grade requirement?
Totally depends on the school. For some it's a C. For others it's a C-. This will absolutely be a problem at schools that require C and above for prereq that require a year of English. If you have other classes that had a significant writing component, they might serve as substitutes. Again, totally depends on the school.

Totally depends on the school. For some it's a C. For others it's a C-. This will absolutely be a problem at schools that require C and above for prereq that require a year of English. If you have other classes that had a significant writing component, they might serve as substitutes. Again, totally depends on the school.
Would it be incorrect to contact the school to ask? If the website doesnt clarify..

Would it be incorrect to contact the school to ask? If the website doesnt clarify..
No. In fact, you need to if it's not spelled out on the website!

Has anyone received any secondaries for their AMCAS or AACOMAS yet? Thank you!

Does "resubmitting" application to assign additional letters to schools after you are verified and received secondaries mess with the process at all. They wont send a new invitation to fill out secondaries and void the old ones or anything of that nature?

Does "resubmitting" application to assign additional letters to schools after you are verified and received secondaries mess with the process at all. They wont send a new invitation to fill out secondaries and void the old ones or anything of that nature?
Absolutely not. "Resubmitting" is just a way to force you to resign all of the acknowledgements. It's just an allowable administrative change. Nothing is messed with and nothing is reverified. It's just the vehicle to get your additional letters where you want them to go. No new fees. No new secondaries.

So I took my MCAT June 26th and won’t have my score back until July 27th. Should I still submit my secondaries within the 2 week time frame or is it ok to wait until after I get my MCAT back since my application wouldn’t have been processed before then anyway?

So I took my MCAT June 26th and won’t have my score back until July 27th. Should I still submit my secondaries within the 2 week time frame or is it ok to wait until after I get my MCAT back since my application wouldn’t have been processed before then anyway?
???? If this is your plan, why did you rush to submit primaries in the first place without being able to see your score? As the adcoms will tell you, your application could be processed at any time once it is complete, and schools are not obligated to wait for retake scores, although most certainly will if you tell them they are coming.

No, I wouldn't submit secondaries before the score is released. (Then again, I wouldn't have submitted the primaries! :)) You have nothing to gain by rushing them in, and might end up saving yourself a ton of money if you are not happy with your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I submitted my primary and waiting for verification. However since I submitted, I have signed up for a course this summer (currently taking, will complete and get a grade 8/2, advanced anatomy course). And then yesterday I got admitted to a 1 year medical humanities masters program. I did not have any "expected/future classes" in my primary, is that okay? Would I just mention this stuff in secondaries/or an update letter? and when would be an appropriate time to send an update letter on these? Expecting to send an update with a published paper in the next couple months as well, should I wait for that and group the updates? Should I update this info to all schools regardless of interview invites?

Also my main concern is that I put 1000+ expected clinical hours since I thought I would continue to scribe until matriculation... will this be an issue/should I explicitly say I am no longer expecting more scribing hours? (I have 1000+ hours already so hopefully this won't be a detriment to my app?)

Thanks!

If I took biology again after graduating at a community college for a better grade, is this considered a repeat course for AMCAS?

I just realized I added a dropped class to AMCAS that was dropped before the deadline so it is not on my transcript. Is this a big deal? I'm verified already. Do I still check "no" if any school asks if I have dropped classes on my transcript?

Where should I mention updates on things I've done after my primary has been submitted e.g. publications that have gotten accepted? Do I mention it in secondaries? If so, which type of prompt would it go in - gap year essay or "anything else" essay? Or should I just save it for a separate update letter?

I uploaded the same letter from Interfolio to TMDSAS and AMCAS. TMDSAS rejected it and AMCAS accepted it. Should I be worried some AMCAS schools might also reject it at some point?

Just to be 100% sure: if I need to update my mailing address, I should just change it on AMCAS and then resubmit right? and it shouldn't have any effect/delay on how my application is being considered by the med schools I've applied to? (I was transmitted on 6/25, for reference)

I am not applying this year, but for future reference, how would an "NC" grade be counted when the undergraduate institution uses a 4.0 scale? I'm seeing that NC would be counted as an F for those where letter grades are used, but that's not the case here.

Hey everyone, I was wondering how long should a Certiphi background check for AMCAS take? I submitted mine over a month ago on Feb 3rd and its still not complete even though it said only 3-5 business days. I don't have any criminal history that I know of except a couple speeding tickets. Anyone else having this issue?

Hey everyone, I was wondering how long should a Certiphi background check for AMCAS take? I submitted mine over a month ago on Feb 3rd and its still not complete even though it said only 3-5 business days. I don't have any criminal history that I know of except a couple speeding tickets. Anyone else having this issue?
Did you have a lot of Places you lived/did you double check the portal to make sure they aren’t asking you to upload anything due to atypical circumstances (maiden name different than listed, military discharge paperwork, etc)?

Did you have a lot of Places you lived/did you double check the portal to make sure they aren’t asking you to upload anything due to atypical circumstances (maiden name different than listed, military discharge paperwork, etc)?
No military history and no marriage so nothing there :(. I did have like 5-6 addresses since it wanted the past 25 year's worth of addresses, but I'm not even 25 yet so I had to mark down that I couldn't supply 25 year's worth of addresses I'm wondering if that messed up the system or something. It's not asking me to upload anything either.

I'm having a similar issue. I submitted mine on Feb. 22 and still haven't heard anything. I've tried reaching out to Certiphi via phone and their online chat, but they've been utterly unresponsive. Have you tried contacting them yet?

I'm having a similar issue. I submitted mine on Feb. 22 and still haven't heard anything. I've tried reaching out to Certiphi via phone and their online chat, but they've been utterly unresponsive. Have you tried contacting them yet?
Yes I did, im still waiting on my report to be completed. They said not all the courts from the counties I've lived in have completed my report yet. It's so annoying